Sterling Reviews

4.2 (21) Write a Review!

About Sterling

Sterling background/identity services offer a foundation of trust and safety that spans across industries, professions, and borders.

Learn more about Sterling

Pros:

Sterling links with our staffing software so it's easy for our recruiters to use and import to the candidates file.

Sterling ratings

4.2
3.9
4.2
4.3

7.8/10

Sterling has an overall rating of 4.2 out 5 stars based on 21 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Sterling before?

Tanim
Tanim
Marketing Expert in Bangladesh
Internet, 10,000+ Employees

Probably the best I have ever used

Pros:

The best thing about this is, it is simple and easy to use. It is pretty works very well for Background checks, I-9 verifications and others. It is quite feature rich.

Cons:

It is a little slow, most of the times. Other than that, I like pretty much everything.

Sharyn
Sharyn
HR Supervisor in U.S.
Financial Services Software, 201-500 Employees

Robust background screening solution

Pros:

I have used other background check services but this one is the most thorough. It can do a credit check very quickly. Doing a standard background check is typically quick unless the candidate has lived in several different states. For any background check platform, it will generally take a while for it to get through all the states so that's not atypical. I have had more success than not and I do like the way the reports are listed. It's very clear cut and concise.

Cons:

On one occasion, I did have a background check take a long time for a candidate and it held up their employment. I'm not sure why it got stuck other than I was told the court was taking a long time releasing records but overall that was the only con I really encountered.

Shikha
HR Manager in India
Staffing & Recruiting, 201-500 Employees

Sterling-Over all good but needs improvement.

Comments: I am not completely satisfied with some of the features provided by Sterling but this is the preferred vendor for some of our clients. It has room for improvements.

Pros:

Sterling is an online platform which provides screening and investigation services. I have been using this software for almost 6 years now and it has become advanced as compared to its previous versions. However, there is still quite a lot room for improvement. In most of the cases, the turn-around time for criminal check is quick except for few county/state-wide checks. The package set up process is easy and the customer service is good. It offers variety of checks and fulfil the background check requirements from the client every time. They even offer the facility to schedule appointment for drug and medical tests. The user interface is pretty simple and user friendly and does not require detailed instructions to complete the link. The portal allows view/download the report without the reviewer’s comments. The report generation process is easy and the final report look clean and clear.

Cons:

Firstly, there is no intimation as soon as a consultant completes the background check link. They only send an email when the report is complete or they need supporting information/documentation. They should intimate us within 2 days if they are not able to get any response from the employer so that we can start following up with the employee for alternate numbers/documentation. This would expedite the process for everyone. Since there are other strong competitors in the market, they need to focus on the weaknesses in order to sustain in the market.

Angela
Director of HR in U.S.
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees

Service is Sterling!

Comments: We have been with Sterling for 5+ years. We have a great relationship with our team

Pros:

The support we get and the speed at which we get updates

Cons:

Court related searches sometimes take too long

Edrick
Process Associate in Philippines
Human Resources, 501-1,000 Employees

Sterling is a dependable software.

Comments: I greatly recommend this software because it removes a great load in Onboarding Specialists' tasks. It gives us the opportunity to work on some other things which cannot be automated. There are some concerns in the background check results but it is very understandable because this is still a software programmed to do specific tasks. Its other features like electronic forms minimizes the use of papers and reports and analytics makes work faster. Great value for money.

Pros:

This product is very easy to use and it makes our work in the HR-Onboarding team more efficiently. Its reports and analytics, electronic forms, and self-service portal are its fundamental features which both applicants and human resource professionals benefit greatly from.

Cons:

Its room for improvement would be when it does the automated background checking with The Work Number, it is very sensitive to providing mismatch/issue in it. Basically, this is because it was how it was programmed. It was programmed to be very specific with the details to match. This is acceptable because, after all, this is still a program with limitations.

Richard
Richard
Onboarding and Benefits Coordinator in U.S.
, 11-50 Employees

Sterling works great under most circumstances.

Comments: Quick and helpful fulfillment of our diverse background screening process under low-to medium volumes.

Pros:

I appreciate the convenience of the user interface. The technical team at Sterling is educated in the background process law and are able to set up packages containing background check components specifically designed to meet my clients' needs.

Cons:

Sterling's process can get bogged down under high volume. There are times when my company processes 20 or more background checks per day. We've had some trouble with turn-around times under these situations.

Carter
HR Coordinator in U.S.
Food Production, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Fine product with non-existent customer service.

Comments: Not great.

Pros:

Easy to submit background checks. Also easy to find past ones.

Cons:

If you have a problem or one is taking forever to come back, it is next to impossible to contact them. There is no customer service. I also get calls from sales agents trying to sell me Sterling One, when I already use it.

Dominika
Manager in U.S.
Translation & Localization, 11-50 Employees

Sterling with leave you stress free

Pros:

Easy to navigate/understand the dashboard.

Cons:

I cannot think of a feature I did not like or was concerned about while using the Sterling platform

HR Business Partner in U.S.
Internet, 201-500 Employees

Background checks made easy!

Comments: Very positive!

Pros:

It's so simple to use and the turnaround time is unreal.

Cons:

The pages aren't the most user friendly but once yo learn how to navigate them it's fine.

Deepak
IT Architect in U.S.
Logistics & Supply Chain, 10,000+ Employees

Latest software to have HR system on mobile

Pros:

this has mobile app and have latest features

Cons:

na

Melissa
Human Resources in U.S.
Security & Investigations, 501-1,000 Employees

Easy Easy Easy!!!

Comments: Great program, using this is very helpful to the business field I am in and makes things move along fluidly.

Pros:

Sterling is very easy to use, from the data entry point to finding your completed reports. You can choose your options for running just a background check or adding a motor vehicle report to it. There are also additional options like credit reports for employment purposes and many more. You can pick and choose what you need for each candidate. Turnaround time is generally pretty fast.

Cons:

I do not like that I cannot add multiple peoples information at the same time when ordering the same check for more than one candidate.

Crisanto
Payroll, HR & Benefit's Administrator in U.S.
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 Employees

Easy to use with quick result.

Comments: Having used this software gives us accurate and quick result necessary in making business decision.

Pros:

This system is very user friendly. You just need a few clicks to complete your transaction. And the result is given to you if not today, you will get it tomorrow. They notify you if there will be delay in the result and will provide you estimated time to completion. I love the free webinars that they provide to their clients. This is something that is very valuable for us as part of their product features. Their customer support team are all great and very knowledgeable of the product.

Franco
Freelancer in Philippines
Market Research Software, Self Employed

Sterling review

Comments: It solves my problem by providing me an easy faster way to find the right and certified people in my business.

Pros:

Sterling is making sure that they can provide the right people for each Companies so you can be sure that even in this time of pandemic you can still hire the right person for your Company. There sofware is easy to use and it is fast.

Cons:

Communication/ Dialogue on Asian countries I guess because the product is Great!

Realtor / Property Manager in Canada
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees

TENANT APPLICATIONS AND SCREENING

Comments: The low cost and ease of use makes this product perfect for our needs.

Pros:

This work great for performing credit checks on rental applications. Work seamlessly and gives me results within 24 hours. Plus they only charge per check so easily billed out.

Cons:

They seem to have a really long billing cycle so I often get a bill long after the check so have to cross check to make sure the proper person is being billed.

Bethany
Bethany
People Operations Coordinator in U.S.
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 Employees

Easy to use

Pros:

To submit a background check, it is very easy and intuitive. Just need name and email and they take care of the rest. They provide good communication to those that are getting the background check and the employer

Cons:

We have had a few times where they say documents do not suffice when indeed they are sufficient and that has caused some frustration but otherwise they are very efficient in what they do.

Joseph
Joseph
Field Service Technician in U.S.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 501-1,000 Employees

Clear as day background check

Comments: Overall, a fast and easy experience. Would recommend

Pros:

I was in the process of getting a new job and needed a background check. This software was offered as the preferred method. It was easy to do. I just had to fill out some of my own information and upload one scanned document and I was done. It was fast and simple.

Cons:

The only con was that the software looks a little dated, like something out of the early 00's.

Daniel
Lead PM Line Cook in U.S.
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees

A pretty simple and quịck process

Comments: Everything was pretty straightforward from start to finish. Despite the many bad reviews I read on this company, my experience was great. I hope only customer service line is overseas and not those who handle my sensitive information.

Pros:

Ease of use. Straightforward. Quick. No problems from start to finish.

Cons:

Out of country customer service. Wish I was assured my sensitive information is only handled in this country

Heather
Controller in U.S.
Staffing & Recruiting, 51-200 Employees

It works for basic needs

Comments: Sterling works for the basic needs that most of our clients need

Pros:

Cons:

Whenever we need a client package set up, the feedback is always extremely slow and frustrating. Even when we express that we need it done quickly.

Onboarding Associate in U.S.
Staffing & Recruiting, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Sterling Backgrounds

Pros:

Easy to navigate and friendly user. Receive notifications for statuses.

Cons:

Too much data entry. Change of date results with no confirmation.

Daniela
Logistics Coordinator in U.S.
Pharmaceuticals, 5,001-10,000 Employees

It's been 2 weeks of my background check, still don't have it and they are delaying my start date

Comments: I would give 0 starts if I could
I would give 0 starts if I could, it's been 2 weeks since the background started, they sent the back an incorrect background to the company I'll work for and have been trying to fix for one week. Every customer service tell me a different story and no one can resolve a simple issue. I would not use their service, as an applicant I almost feel like giving up the job because of the amount of stress Sterling is causing me, at this point they will delay my start date because they couldn't complete the background. If you care about your candidate don't use this service!

Pros:

Nothing, bad customer service, no consideration or effort to get the job done.

Cons:

I would give 0 starts if I could It's been 2 weeks and they don't update me, don't move forward, and can't finish a simple background.

Bismarck
Vendedor in Nicaragua
Retail, Self Employed

Muy Bueno

Comments: Pues este es más completo que los que yo eh utilizado, las facturaciones de créditos se hacen muy fácil y muy rápido lo cual es un punto a favor porque me ahorra tiempo y me a ayudado mucho.

Pros:

Funciona muy bien para verificar los créditos y trabaja muy bien sin darme problemas

Cons:

Lo único negativo es que el tiempo de facturación demora bastante