15 years helping Canadian businesses

About APS Payroll

We make payroll and HR easier for our SMB customers.

Learn more about APS Payroll

Pros:

I like that APS Payroll has an integrated Payroll and HR system - and that I can manage the individual enrollments for our employees.

Cons:

A bit cumbersome when adding new pay types, such as bereavement pay. They don't cover worker's compensation.

APS Payroll ratings

4.5
4.7
4.5
4.6

9.1/10

APS Payroll has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 621 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used APS Payroll before?

Mary
Mary
HR Director in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 1,001–5,000 Employees

So pleased to have found an affordable product that is robust and works as anticipated!

Comments: As having transitioned to APS at the beginning of this year, we are still rolling out new functions within the APS product, but have had an AMAZING group of assigned (dedicated) representatives from the Project Manager and Sales Account Representative to our Help Desk team and the Benefits, HR, and APS Hire experts to help us through the transition, implementation, and 'de-bugging' journey!

Pros:

Cost savings as compared to Kronos/Ultimate Software, ability to set up multiple EINs in payroll, and the development of the software from one inclusive database.

Cons:

I would love to see that some of the reporting could be customized more easily to include all individual EINs/payrolls in a single report and would also like the benefits and PTO plans to be transferrable between locations when employees move and the record requires transferring.

3 years ago

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, Mary! We're glad to hear that APS has been a great fit for your company's needs. We're excited for you to roll out all of the functionality APS has to offer for easier payroll and HR. We will pass along your feedback regarding reporting to our development team. Thank you for being a valued APS customer.

Alan
Alan
Human Resources Generalist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

The APS payroll process is easy to set up

Comments: Our team is comprised of people that work in the field and either rarely or never log onto a computer. Thanks to APS, I was able to streamline the process through which staff members access eSelfserve and punch in/out. They've also recently helped us out with putting up a new payroll system for one of our subsidiaries.

Pros:

The program is exceptionally simple to pick up and use. The APS support team is rarely needed for help with novel tasks. I appreciate how simple it is to use APS. That APS is constantly improving the system and making it more accessible is much appreciated.

Cons:

The "Self-Help" part isn't always as in-depth as I'd like. My first inclination is to check there, followed by an approach to the community of helpers.

Phyllis
Cpmtrp;;er in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

APS

Comments: I love the customer service. They are extremely knowledgeable, friendly, quick to respond, and always trying to make the experience easier for you. Sometimes I think their hands are tied though.

Pros:

I am able to run payroll faster. Love APS Hire and the onboarding of new employees.

Cons:

I find that it is behind the norm for this type of service. Help center needs revamped for looking up (not the employees), and need to allow video uploads for new hires. Think outside the box on processing payroll, not everyone does it the same.

3 years ago

Thank you for your honest review, Phyllis. We're glad to hear that you're enjoying APS Hire and the quality of support. We appreciate your constructive feedback and will pass this information along. We will also make sure our Customer Success team reaches out to you to ensure you're getting the most out of your investment in the system. Thank you for your time and for being a valued APS customer.

Robin
Office Mgr in US
Farming, 11–50 Employees

Love it so far

Comments: Being able to combine payroll AND HR online is amazing. I love the reporting options I have and that I can still run payroll in house but have APS handle the taxes so they are done correctly.

Pros:

I love the reporting options! There are so many great reporting options as well as the option to put together your own! I also like that you don't have to sign up for each module if you don't need it. If you are using the payroll module but don't want/need the HR or attendance module than you don't have to sign up for those. I also like that you have your own (small) dedicated support team instead of just calling in or doing an online chat with a random person. We have only been using APS for a short time but so far I love it much more than our previous providers which included Quickbooks and Sage.

Cons:

You do several training calls and those can be a bit hard to schedule depending on scheduling conflicts on both sides but that would be expected anywhere..... There really isn't anything I can say I don't really like so far? Maybe the price? It is a tiny bit pricey... Especially for smaller companies.... The only other thing I would like to see would be a quicker processing time for direct deposit. Our previous payroll company was able to process same day which comes in very handy for us (especially during holidays) since we run payroll the following day after the end of our pay period.

4 years ago

Your positive review is very much appreciated, Robin! We're glad to hear you're happy with the reporting options and your dedicated support team. Thank you for being a valued customer and we hope you continue to have a great experience with APS!

Dee Ann
Controller in US

Excellent Product for our Small Business without a Huge Investment

Comments: Before APS our payroll process was a multiple day process. It was a compilation of paper a third party time clock system that was very limited and our vacation policy was maintained by a spreadsheet and emails.

Pros:

This software completely transformed our Payroll and HR processes. Completely integrated all aspects together into one place.

Cons:

Have not really had any cons with the software if we run into something that we need it is either available or the customer support will give us ideas for a work around if not currently available.

4 years ago

We appreciate your positive review, Dee Ann! We're glad to hear our unified platform has made processing payroll a breeze. Thank you for being a valued customer and we hope you continue to have a great experience with APS!

Sandy
Financial Manager in US
Religious Institutions, 51–200 Employees

Switching to APS Was a Smart Move

Comments: I am beyond satisfied with our move to APS. The overall payroll processing system is easier to use than our previous system and has significantly more functionality by enabling employees to enter their hours directly via website or app and then enabling managers to approve automatically. The transition took about two months and throughout the experience, APS made it their priority to communicate clearly and effectively with me. Customer service is clearly a top value, and I am pleased with my assigned team's quick and consistent availability either via email or phone. Our service, functionality, efficiency, comprehension, and overall satisfaction have increased dramatically with APS, while our monthly payments have decreased. That makes us one very happy customer!

Pros:

I appreciate the ease of use and logical flow of the payroll process. The system is intuitive and not at all intimidating to administrators, managers, or employees using eSelfService.

Cons:

We have had some trouble with the eSign feature, where hourly employees are required to verify their payroll hour submissions and everyone must verify leave times. This does not always work consistently for us. Thankfully, as the administrator, I am able to override an unsigned time card.

4 years ago

We're happy to hear that the intuitive design of our platform was easily accessible to everyone in your company, Sandy! We'll make sure to pass along your constructive feedback. Thank you for being a valued customer and we hope you continue to have a great experience with APS!

Anthony
Regional Manager in US
Retail, 501–1,000 Employees

APS Payroll and Hiring Software is second to none

Comments: We are solving payroll and new hire issues. They make it so easy for our reps to complete their onboarding process that we can't imagine ever going back to our old software. They also make it extremely easy to troubleshoot payroll issues in the even that a rep didn't receive their pay card or direct deposit.

Pros:

I love the ease of use that this product offers. Even your day 1 employees can get the hang of this software before lunch time on their very first day using it. I also really like that they are continually updating and improving the software as the professional landscape grows and changes through technology. APS seems to be at the forefront of advancing their software so you'll never be frustrated at using a slow or outdated software for hiring or payroll. All in all this is just a great product that anyone can use and that is a major selling point for any business owner. Nobody wants to spend tons of time and money just training their HR and payroll teams to use their software and APS keeps that cost at a minimum.

Cons:

I can't really think of anything i don't like about this software. I guess the one thing that i think APS could improve is where they put the search bars to search for current employees. Right now you have to go to a specific page to search for already hired employees while the applicant search bar can be accessed from the main screen.

4 years ago

We appreciate your positive review, Anthony! We're glad to hear you're happy with the intuitive design of our platform and our system has reduced your errors. Thank you for being a valued customer and we hope you continue to have a great experience with APS!

Heather
HR Generalist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Great but needs some updating

Comments: We are generally impressed but it's seems like a newer software that needs to do some updating and more frequent updating at that.

Pros:

Benefit management and carrier connection. Ease of use for employees and administrators. Accuracy of timekeeping and payroll. Leave of Absence event tracking.

Cons:

Performance Reviews. The templates are just too difficult to load as we use forms specific to each position. Editing of individual questions is not possible so we are not using this feature. Customization is lacking in benefit set-up. We are not able to create custom messages during open enrollment, add specific attachments, or select PCP for our HMO plans which is pretty standard. Notifications for Non-Banking Days. They pop up every time you go back to the dashboard. There should be a button to click I don't want to see this message anymore. Customer Service is great and responsive but sometimes you get different answers from different reps.

4 years ago

We appreciate you taking the time to review the APS system. We see that you are experiencing issues with the performance and reliability of our system. We would like you to know that we have passed your feedback on to our development team as it is our goal to provide excellent service. If you have any other comments or questions, please do not hesitate to call, message, or email your account manager. Thank you for being an APS customer!

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
HR Manager in US

Made the switch from Intuit

Comments: Onboarding, when we went remote during the pandemic we desperately needed to onboard remotely and this was the perfect solution.

Pros:

This is a total HRIS solution that is inexpensive and easy to use. You can choose what services to add and use and they all work together.

Cons:

There are 3 different websites for different tasks, one for payroll, benefits, etc., another for recruiting and onboarding which imports into the payroll website, and a third for management and employee info. Wish it was all on one site and a separate website for employees, otherwise, no complaints.

3 years ago

Elizabeth, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear that our software has provided you with more features and a better value. Thank you for being an APS customer.

Matt
Owner in US
Human Resources, 2–10 Employees

Usability of APS

Pros:

The support staff is always available, and the user interface made APS one of the better HRIS systems I have used.

Cons:

There are some options of personalization that APS could not offer.

Benjamin
Director of Operations in US
Mental Health Care, 501–1,000 Employees

A satisfied APS costumer

Comments: We have been able to bring several HR functions under one software platform. The ease of use and communications piece has saved us so much administrative time.

Pros:

I find the software very easy to use and the support team is responsive and very helpful.

Cons:

Some of the ACA functions seem to be cumbersome and have taken a little extra time to learn and use.

4 years ago

We appreciate your positive review, Benjamin! We're glad to hear our unified platform has made processing payroll a breeze. Thank you for being a valued customer and we hope you continue to have a great experience with APS!

President in US

Crooks and Cheaters

Comments: DO NOT use APS payroll services. They lie and what they sale you is not right. They lock you in for a year and then do not let you out even though they do not provide you with the services promised. It sounds good on the sales side but do not believe a word that comes out of [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] mouth. Their implementation is poor and no one is on the same page. it does not do what they say it will do.

Pros:

It sounded good they sold it that is had a lot of features

Cons:

Support is weak, implementation is horrible. They lied during the sales process. They lock you in for a year and steal your money.

4 years ago

Thank you for your honest review, Chris. We are so sorry to hear you're not satisfied with APS' solution and services. We would love the opportunity to speak with you one-on-one and discuss your concerns. Our Success Manager, April Remedies, will reach out to talk further with you. For your reference, April's contact information is [email protected] or 318-213-3263.

Matthew
CEO & President in US
Accounting Software, 51–200 Employees

Truly Amazing Payroll & HR Software Partner

Comments: I started up a PEO/ASO/HRO company in Hawaii in 2009 and grew it to the 2nd largest in the HR/Payroll firm in the state. I sold this company to the largest competitor in 2016 when we were running $200 million of payroll and managed over 10,000 employees in multiple states. I can honestly say that I wish I discovered APS Payroll Software when I started my HR company, as this software truly blows away our PEO/HR/Payroll system we used. When I sold my HR/Payroll company, I was looking at finding a new payroll software that could also handle all of our HR administration. I attended a Sage Intacct (accounting software) conference and met APS in the Exhibit Hall with numerous vendors. The final selling point is APS directly integrates into Sage Intacct. Finally, we have one login in which we can access all of our internal companies and external clients we process payroll for. There are so many bell and whistles available and it is very easy to learn and use. I highly recommend APS to everyone looking for an affordable payroll software, with an even more impressive and responsive team.

Pros:

APS is very thorough with all of its various solutions: payroll, human resources, benefits administration, document storage, Time & Attendance, PTO, APS Hire (recruiting/job boards), Applicant Tracking, Online On-Boarding, Asset Management, etc, etc.

Cons:

I cannot think of anything that I do not like about APS. Their technical team is very flexible with custom solutions, APS Customer Service team is responsive (even with our 5-6 hour time difference between Louisiana and Hawaii). We have a dedicated "Partner Support" team member over at APS, as well as a "Training Support Partner".

5 years ago

We appreciate your positive review, Matthew! We're glad to hear our top-rated support team is providing the timely and responsive attention you deserve. Thank you for being a valued customer and we hope you continue to have a great experience with APS!

Amanda
Office Manager in US

I have had a wonderful experience using APS as our payroll software. It is a great product and site!

Pros:

What I like most about this product is how everything I need is available at any time I need it as well as being very easy to navigate on the site once logged in. It is very user-friendly and helpful with all needs that I may have as well as requests needed for employees. It is as easy as logging onto the site and clicking two to three times to get exactly what I need. I have had to run reports for myself for office functions as well as a request from an employee and it is always very easy and helpful. I believe we get our money worth by using this product on a weekly basis. It seems to fit all our needs as a company and my needs as an administrator. I have had to call on our account manager a few times and when doing so, every time she has been extremely helpful and efficient in helping me find and get what I need to be done. The quality that this software offers us as a company is hands down the best I have ever had. I have worked with APS for several years now. At one time I processed payroll with APS for about 1500 people bi-weekly and I now do it weekly for about 10. So whether you have 1500 or 10 people to conduct a payroll for weekly or biweekly, APS has made it very efficient and easy to navigate their product and easy to search and find exactly the reports needed. I look forward to watching them grow while we grow and using them now and in our future. There would be no other company that I feel could compare to or offer what APS has been able to do for us. The BEST quality!! From the site to the account manager, they have not only met but exceeded our expectations.

6 years ago

We appreciate your positive review, Amanda! We are so glad to hear you love our system and it has made processing payroll simple for you. Thank you for being a valued customer and we hope you continue to have a great experience with APS!

Airlines/Aviation, 11–50 Employees

APS more than a payroll solution.

Comments: I have worked with APS for almost 10 years. Their level of customer service and willingness to listen and find solutions to unique opportunities puts them above their competitors.

Pros:

The addition of APSHire has made recruiting and onboarding more efficient and easier for applicants. Having the ability to allow them to complete paperwork from any computer has reduced the days to hire.

Cons:

My only comment might be with more robust reporting options.

3 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We are happy to hear that APS Hire has been so helpful for your recruiting and onboarding process. We've passed along your feedback to our development team about the reporting as well. P.S. If you would like to receive your full gift card amount for leaving us a review, please email us at [email protected] with an email you'd like the gift card sent to. Thanks for choosing APS!

Tammy
Operations & Administrative Manager in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

APS Payroll Review

Comments: With APS Payroll, we now have dependable current & historical information. The many reporting options have saved us time and headache since we no longer have to access several documents to create things like the annual 401(k) census. We can maintain that information right in APS Payroll.

Pros:

We're a tech company with less than 100 employees in the US and have been with APS Payroll for about three years. APS gave us the opportunity to offer our employees access to online employee information. The employees can pull pay vouchers, update most of their own personal information, request PTO online and other functions that were manual for them before APS.

Cons:

On the administrative side, setting up a new employee can be cumbersome. There are a lot of steps that are necessary to create the proper internal document flow. Some things like PTO accruals are not set up as a default for a new employee. Should the accrual step be missed during onboarding, the employee may not accrue PTO as they should.

5 years ago

Thank you for your positive review, Tammy! We're glad to hear you're happy with the intuitive design of our platform that allows for easy document and information access for your employees. We'll make sure to pass along your constructive feedback. Thank you for being a valued customer and we hope you continue to have a great experience with APS!

Robert
CFO in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

An Absolute Pleasure to Work With APS

Comments: Simplify time keeping on three sites, make payroll process more user friendly and eliminate printing paper reports, integrate with QuickBooks software, and streamline on-boarding and information collection.

Pros:

The setup was easy, their team did most of the work. I really like having a team of people assigned to my account that I have came to know and rely on, so I deal with the same people all the time. Help is an email or phone call away and my team are very responsive. Customer service is awesome!

Cons:

Not much to dislike. In fact, what I do not like is that my own HR people haven’t utilized the on-boarding and HR functions or the software as of yet. The mobile services are not perfect and take some time to get functioning.

4 years ago

Robert, thank you so much for your feedback. It's awesome hearing implementation was a smooth process and you are enjoying your dedicated account team. We recently made some updates to our mobile app that you might find helpful, but we have also passed along your feedback to our developers. Thank you for being a valued customer!

Dwight
CFO in US
Construction, 11–50 Employees

APS is worthwhile

Comments: Its been a great experience from the start. i never had any major issues with them. THey resolve any issue relatively quickly. Price is decent as well

Pros:

The software is easy to use and implement. it solves all of our HR needs and the support is us based located in Shreveport, LA. That american based support makes a huge different during implementation and whenever you run in to problems/issues. Its intuitive and not overly complex like some other systems.(ADP)

Cons:

The one thing they need to work on is the mobile app. that is very lacking compared to their competitors. They are working to improve it and add functionality so i know its just a matter of time for that app to catch up to the competitors more robust ones.

Information Services, 11–50 Employees

Easy to Use

Pros:

We use to manage our payroll in house which took a significant amount of time, even with a small number of employees. Switching to APS helped save time and allowed for a easier and more efficient way of tracking payroll. There are tons of different reports you can run and everything is very user friendly. If there is ever a question on anything our customer service agent is quick to respond and help. It's been great having all our employee information in one place!

Cons:

A few instances of frustration where some of our benefits have not calculated correctly. I'm not sure if there was lack of communication upon setup or what happened. Anytime we have ran into this APS saw that a solution was made.

5 years ago

Thank you for your review. We're glad to hear you're happy with the intuitive design of our platform and our top-rated support team is providing the timely and responsive attention you deserve. We would love the opportunity to speak with you one on one and discuss your concerns about calculating benefits. If you could please contact April Remedies, Success Manager, at [email protected] or 318-213-3263, she would be happy to talk further.

Sheila
Office Manager in US
Law Practice, 11–50 Employees

Flexible & Robust System

Comments: My overall experience with APS is extremely helpful. I could not do my job with the flexibility of the APS

Pros:

The feature, ease of use, and flexibility that it gives me to pull important information.

Cons:

It was getting hold of support in a timely matter but this improving.

3 years ago

Sheila, thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We are happy to hear that our platform has been so user-friendly. We have passed along your feedback about response times and will make sure it is a priority! Thank you for being a valued APS customer!

Christine
Controller in US
Hospitality, 201–500 Employees

Exceeds Expectations

Comments: Working with APS is easy compared to other companies. It is easy to reach your account representatives when you need them, which is not always the case with some companies. Throughout the sales process, implementation, and now the daily grind of bi-weekly payroll, APS has felt more like a colleague rather than an outside company.

Pros:

The reporting feature is by far the best feature for our office. We have several people that are part of the payroll process and each of us has our own reporting needs. The ability to build custom reports for our specific needs has been a major shift from our previous provider.

Cons:

I have used this software for multiple years and I have no complaints. Every issue that I have encountered has been addressed, either specifically for our account, or as an overall update to the system.

4 years ago

Christine, thank you so much for the raving review. We are thrilled to hear that our reporting features have made things so efficient for you, and your dedicated account team has been so responsive. We look forward to working with you for many years to come.

Amber
AP/AR/Payroll in US
, 51–200 Employees

Simplified Payroll processing with exemplary customer service!

Comments: The customer service has really been over the top. Some of the best I've ever received. Thank you APS!

Pros:

APS Payroll provides an easy to navigate visual space coupled with step-by-step instruction and processing. The functions are intuitive and time saving, with simple graphic design and flow. Training and set up was a breeze, and the customer service support we've received has always been top notch. They seem to intuit our needs before we even realize they exist. Staff are always friendly, knowledgeable and available. The reporting function is well thought out and provides a multitude of options for every scenario. Payroll processing is easy and they handle all of the taxes and deductions for us!

Cons:

Record keeping within this module can be difficult to track, specifically when changes to employee wage, details, etc. are made. Other than that, I have found very few flaws to exist in this program!

Deborah
Accountant III in US
, 201–500 Employees

APS saves time and money

Comments: I was especially impressed with the implementation process. APS employees stayed late and worked to get our first payroll out timely and correctly. We didn't have a missed or late payroll during the change over.

Pros:

APS is totally automated. My processing time for a payroll of 230 employees went from 2 days to 2 hours. Supervisors and employees also save time and no longer duplicate work. Once submitted, APS is ready to run reports on the payroll within minutes. The support team is quick to answer questions and always courteous. We have no unresolved problems.

Cons:

Reports are somewhat limited. No report can include information from the different categories. Time and Attendance can only report from the employee timesheets. Payroll can only report from the payroll module. Additionally, the automated process involves some rounding of amounts that sometimes need to be adjusted.

Nona
owner in US
Government Administration, 2–10 Employees

WE LOVE APS!

Comments: APS makes payroll / hr work easy. They handle everything from cutting the checks to payroll tax deposits to the quarterly payroll returns and w2s. I don't worry about completing timely reports or being late on a tax deposits because APS handles it all for me.

Pros:

The account managers are extremely polite and helpful and always resolve my issues quickly. I love having APS handle all my payroll needs because it takes the work out of payroll. I have had up to 3 businesses using their software at one time and it was one of the best decisions Ive ever made while owning small businesses. Plus, the production manager The support staff always goes the extra mile to help me!!

Cons:

There seems to be a "glitch" in the Creating Payroll section that doesn't save the entered hours under time entry the first time you enter it, causing me to have to enter the hours more than once.

5 years ago

We appreciate your positive review, Nona! We're glad to hear our unified platform has made processing payroll a breeze and our top-rated support team is providing the timely and responsive attention you deserve. We would like you to know that we have passed your feedback on to our development team as it is our goal to provide excellent service. Thank you for being a valued customer and we hope you continue to have a great experience with APS!

Bob
bookkeeper in US
Hospital & Health Care, 201–500 Employees

APS review 2018

Comments: The compatibility with our clock in software is great!
The customer service is excellent! I have dealt with several reps and they are all well trained and knowledgeable about the product!

Pros:

I do like the ease at which we can set up employees for direct deposit, it's a time saver! Even changes in direct deposit are easy to deal with.

Cons:

I find some challenges in locating the specific reports I need. But, that just might be me! I also miss a function that we had with another software which calculates a payroll check based on the net amount you enter into the calculator. Miss that a lot!

5 years ago

We appreciate your positive review Bob! We're glad to hear you're happy with the intuitive design of our platform. We would love the opportunity to speak with you one on one and discuss your concerns. If you could please contact April Remedies, Success Manager, at [email protected] or 318-213-3263, she would be happy to talk further.