Filter by:

• Overall

About AmberPOS

Point of Sale Software and Retail Management Solutions for retailers in Canada and the United States.

Learn more about AmberPOS

Wayne G.
U.S.
Used the Software for: Not provided

A robust POS for small businesses

Pros:

They are responsive to requests for assistance. The software has many advanced features. The value is good. The built-in reporting is nice, with some caveats (see below).

Cons:

As a former software developer with 15 years of experience, there are a few issues I have. These might not bother everyone, though. First, the reporting system is nice, but you cannot alter the format or add/remove fields from the canned reports. This means I eventually had to build my own back end reporting system. The vast majority of people won't be able to do this, so be aware that if your main goal is robust reporting, this is a pretty major issue. Lack of keyboard shortcuts. If I change a SKU I cannot hit ctrl+S to save. I have to click the save button with the mouse. It's annoying. Unable to customize screen layouts. On the customer screen, for example, I cannot choose to display only the fields I use. This means there are a ton of fields I don't care about that I can't hide. This is the same for all the screens. The software has a lot of fields because of the advanced nature of its design. Even so, I don't need all of them, so being able to hide them would be wonderful. The label design system lacks a "snap to grid" system. Actually, it doesn't have a grid system at all. This makes designing a label unnecessarily difficult Custom queries cannot be altered later. If you setup a special price rule with a custom query and later wish to modify it, you must start over. Any attempt to change it will give you an error. This is annoying and leaves you open to risk that your new rule will miss logic you built into your old rule. It rounds down on sales taxes. If you sell any item that results in a sales tax value less than a penny, it won't charge sales tax. When you move thousands of dollars a year in these small transactions, this can lead to a substantial amount of sales tax you owe that the system never collected!

Genevieve E.
Canada
Retail, Self Employed

We have been very happy with Amber POS

4 7 years ago

Pros:

The reporting feature is awesome! We can provide all the relevant information our bookkeeper needs quickly and easily. Our training technician was extremely helpful and gave us a very useful orientation. We also really like the integration with a second back room computer, freeing up the POS for sales while inputting new inventory.

Cons:

The software was a bit overwhelming as first. It would be ideal if there was a simplified version available for smaller businesses that could be unlocked and expanded as needed. Free technical support should be appreciated. The support subscription is expensive and the cancellation fee is disappointing.

N/A Response

7 years ago

Our technical support fees are some of the most affordable in the industry at just $29/m per system, which covers our customers for unlimited technical support and includes ongoing software upgrades at no extra charge. While most software manufacturers force you to re-purchase a new version of the software every few years, our customers enjoy the benefit of getting all updates included for FREE with our support & updates subscription. Not only does this mean they don't have to incur additional major costs every few years, it also means they are always getting the most up-to-date version of our system, and their staff can always contact us for unlimited support. We do not charge a cancellation fee for the monthly support subscription. However, if a customer decides to opt-out of our monthly support and software updates program for an extended period of time, and for example if two years later they are running an older, out-of-date version of our software because of that decision, we do charge a small re-activation fee to complete all the necessary updates on their systems. However there is never any fee to cancel our support program.

Luke B.
Canada

Great Investment

Pros:

Amber is the most user-friendly POS software I have come across. It is very easy to use, and the basics can be learned and navigated through almost without any experience. The vendor is also great. The support I have received has been great from the Amber technicians. They respond very quickly to any questions and concerns you have regarding how to use different functions or to correct mistakes. They are quick to take control and show you while guiding you over the phone through the steps of how to accomplish what it is that you would like to do.

Cons:

Not having 24-7 customer support. Due to not having a round the clock support for weekends and other times, there are times when you cannot get assistance when you want it. Being on a different timezone also interferes with scheduling times for instructions and online help.

Jacob A.
Used the Software for: Not provided

Comments: Totally Awesome Goods is a new retail brand with the ultimate goal of having a few stores and a robust website. It was important for me, right from the start, to use a POS system that can be integrated with my website and can handle more than one location. I was just about set to go with another POS system, when Software Advice recommended the AmberPOS. I spoke to Ashley at AmberPOS who was very helpful, patient and supportive throughout the process. The POS system is very easy to use, and mostly very intuitive. Since there is a lot of functionality, I am still learning all that it can do. I was up and running very quickly. The implementation was very easy, without any issues. The technician, Pavel, was very helpful and knowledgeable. Support in general has been very good. The only major issue I have had with AmberPOS was its integration with the merchant services account. I needed to do it through a YESpay gateway, and I was not aware that was the case until a couple of weeks before the store was to open. I felt this could have been better explained up front. As a result, I don't have that integrated with my POS system. Other than that, I am thus far happy with the decision.

Abraham S.
Compliance Officer in U.S.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees

Excellent Software for an up-and-coming company

4 4 years ago

Comments: I utilized and managed this software at a clothing store in Downtown Brooklyn a few years ago

Pros:

The software itself has a very user-friendly interface when compared to other POS programs and customer service is respectful in the least. You may not reach them on your first call within a timely manner, but when you do get someone on the phone, they are always able to help you figure out your problems.

Cons:

Like most POS software, it can be difficult to train new employees who are not tech savvy on using the interface. I would recommend a more competitive, modern software for companies with more than 10 employees.

Suzanne V.
HR Coordinator in
Retail, 51-200 Employees

Useful POS that allows good reporting

4 5 years ago

Comments: Ambur is an intuitive POS system that allows you to track inventory, and run reports easily.

Pros:

Track inventory, ability to apply discounts at will, intuitive.

Cons:

I'd love if ambur allowed reporting on applying discounts and coupons. Their customer service has also seriously lacked during this last year. I'd also love if they put together a closed loop gift card service that is integrated.

Jan L.
5 10 years ago

Comments: My partner and I own two knitting stores with extensive inventory. The inventory system that we were previously using was not user friendly, nor did it provide us with adequate reporting tools. We knew there had to be a better system, but as small business owners, cost was a significant factor. After extensive research into a variety of different options we decided that Pacific Amber Technologies provided a better product than others that cost twice the price. We have now been working with Amber POS for over a year and cannot say enough about how happy we are with this transition. The support crew was extremely patient, efficient in training all our staff, and their continued support has been invaluable. I would 100% recommend Amber POS to any business, small or large.

Stephen M.
IT Manager in U.S.

Poor company

1 3 years ago

Comments: Stay away

Pros:

Pros???? None that I can see of. They play smoking mirrors with you. They did start the refund of the cost.

Cons:

They want you to open up your environment to them. They want Team Viewer access to every computer that it is installed on, and SA database access on your SQL server where you do not have access to. They will not even give you the software! Not to mention forwarding the SQL port on your router to the server as well.... Major security holes and would highly recommend staying away from the POS!

Meg S.
General Manager in Canada
Retail

Great value for the price

5 6 years ago

Pros:

It is easy to use and intuitive. Support is great (front end sales, telephone IT support, online manual is pretty good).

Cons:

Everything so far has been good. We have only been on the system for a month.

Bill W.
5 10 years ago

Comments: We are a small business that sells fishing and kayaking supplies both locally and online. As our business has grown so have our data maintenance requirements. We were operating the store and online business on independent databases, which created double the work. I looked for a solution that would integrate the two platforms and create one selling database that would solve this redundancy problem. Happily, I found Pacific Amber Technologies and their software program AmberPOS and purchased the system in June 2010. The conversion from my old system went smoothly and we were up and selling on the AmberPOS platform within a couple of weeks. AmberPOS then integrated my POS system with my online store and eliminated the necessity of managing two databases, thus cutting my workload in half. The AmberPOS system was easy for my staff to learn and the staff at Pacific Amber Technologies has been great. They have a support staff that is second to none and have completed many custom tasks for me in a timely manner. I would highly recommend this software to anyone looking to change software platforms or starting from scratch. Great Product!

Trevor H.
Store Manager in Canada
Retail, 2-10 Employees

We made a great decision

5 2 years ago

Comments: AmberPOS has taken our store from the analogue era to digital in one fast, relatively easy step. It's been a great transition, with excellent help from AmberPOS staff in every stage.

Pros:

This software has saved our team time, saved us from headaches, and has brought efficiency to our store beyond any other system that has been tried since we started.

Cons:

Although it would be nice to have a little more leeway in customizing some of the terminology within the software (change "Vendor" to "Donor" to fit our business operations, etc), there really isn't any downside to AmberPOS that we've found.

Guillermo S.
Network Engineer in U.S.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 Employees

Top notch POS System

5 3 years ago

Comments: Has a cool training mode, that copies your actual database and you can do tests and play with the features without messing up your actual data.

Pros:

Easy to use, can link multi-location stores and keep all the data centralized on a robust SQL server on the main location. The Barcode designer is great to work with, product labels look professional and are fully customizable with your own logo, etc.

Cons:

Windows only - not really a con but you can't get to use iPads. Requires a decent machine to run on, specially if you're running only one terminal and you have the SQL server on it.

Abdullah E.
Manager in U.S.
Furniture, 2-10 Employees

Great training and demos

4 3 years ago

Comments: Overall great value and features are mostly what you need to get you off the ground and even growing.

Pros:

Really affordable, especially since they offer multi store features, if you want to expand without expanding your expense. Somewhat easy to use but their team really are quick to help and explain everything so I didn’t feel abandoned at all.

Cons:

I felt the inventory could have been made easier and simpler although to be fair they did eventually help me get it right.

Ramamurthy S.
Senior Systems Specitalist in

AmberPOS

3 5 years ago

Comments: The product had the features. The only drawback was Integration to other systems.

Pros:

Point of Sale, Tracking Rental Items

Cons:

Integration

Justin P.
5 10 years ago

Comments: I run a small business shoe store. The store has been in business for 33 years and coming into 2011 had never had any type of POS/inventory management. I came to SoftwareAdvice.com looking for assistance in locating the perfect retail software for a business that had previously never had as much as a computer. After a couple of months, I was able to narrow my search to Pacific Amber Technologies and their AmberPOS software. Despite being based out of Vancouver and having a 3-hour time difference to me on the east coast, Pacific Amber's customer service was top notch. Since they are a smaller business themselves, they seemed to understand the constraints of time and money and really worked to make sure I was getting everything I needed without spending more than I had to. In the early stages of getting all of the hardware, if they didn't have a product that I needed for a price that worked, they would direct me towards where online I could find it while maximizing my dollars. They assisted me every step of the way, from installation of software, to setup of any hardware, to getting my inventory tracking up and running. When it came time to set up my online store, AmberPOS was once again a huge help. The integration with my physical inventory and my online inventory was synced without much hang-up. As a business that hadn't used any type of inventory tracking previously, or anything digital at all, AmberPOS was relativity simple to teach to my sales staff and owner, all of who had very little computer experience. Most caught on very easily, and I definitely think that AmberPOS's layout and graphics not only make it a nice system to look at everyday, but much more inviting to someone who wouldn't be as comfortable with a system that functioned the same but looked like a spreadsheet. Over the past six months that we have had AmberPOS up and running fully in our store, any time we needed assistance we never had much issue getting in touch with their support team. Usually we could get the issue resolved within 24 hours, and they always checked back in to make sure everything was running smoothly. I cannot recommend Pacific Amber and their AmberPOS software more for a company of any size. The only reason I gave Functionality a 4-star rating is there are still a few minor issues, but whenever those are brought to their attention they are pretty quick to listen and update the software. I'll be sure to use AmberPOS for years to come!

Bookstore Manager in U.S.

Customer support is APPALLING!

1 4 years ago

Cons:

Random errors. Their "fully integrated credit card processing" isn't. Sales process through credit card payments but not recorded in register. Customer service's reponse: "Just do a physical inventory of your 15,000 items to determine what sold." Half of the month of sales and receiving history disappeared randomly for no known reason. They don't care.

Pacific Amber Technologies Response

3 years ago

This review was mistakenly left for the wrong POS company. This is not our customer. They may have us mixed up with a Restaurant POS system with a similar name to ours. We don't sell restaurant POS systems. We sell a Retail POS system. This anonymous review is either fake or left for the wrong POS company. It claims our system doesn't store transactions in the POS database. That is simply not true. We have thousands of customers, some with transactions going back 10+ years. They must be mistaking our system for a different software. We tried to get Capterra to correct this mistaken and misleading review but they refused even though this was not left by one of our actual customers.

Daniel A.
Director of Retail Operations in U.S.
Museums & Institutions, 11-50 Employees

Top Notch Service !

5 4 years ago

Comments: For anyone looking for a POS system, you cannot go wrong by choosing Amber.

Pros:

Amber is easy to teach to my staff, remarkably easy to use on the administrative side and offers wonderful and personal support. It is an affordable system that I highly recommend to anyone looking to upgrade. From the people to the program, itself, I couldn't be happier and feel more confident that I made the right choice by choosing Amber.

Cons:

I operate four separate museum stores and maintain four separate inventories within Amber. My wish is that it could be made easy to toggle between inventories without having to log out of one and into another. I'd love to be able to just log in and be able to maneuver between inventories with a bit more ease. Trust me, I can be a whiner..........and if this is my only complaint........well, Amber is doing okay by me, then.

Matthew D.
General Manager in U.S.
Recreational Facilities & Services, 11-50 Employees

Excellent POS option that does not break the wallet

5 last year

Comments: From the start, the AmberPOS Team has walked us through setup to some minor issues we have had. The fact that they responded with expedience during a 4th of July weekend speaks volumes! The team support has truly been wonderful! Easy program that can be navigated by younger staff, and flexibility of sales ability work very well. Considering that we are a ticket booth, snack bar, and retail store, this program covers all bases for us!

Pros:

Scalability and user friendly features allow this to remain small but give the ability to increase as the business grows.

Cons:

Due to our location, internet is a little slow. Although this is not a cloud based POS, it still requires updates that can bog down our internet. This is NOT an issue with the software, it is an in-house issue.

Rachel S.
Retail

Too clunky and customer service is terrible unless you pay

1 5 years ago

Pros:

It communicates well between 2 stores. You can set up a way to track frequent buyer cards even though it's clunky.

Cons:

Getting things set up is incredibly clunky, and it's nearly impossible to predict what will go wrong. They force you to buy a subscription to their customer service help, so at that point, it adds on to the price. And if you don't, you get absolutely no help getting their software to really work for you. Most of the problems we have had are entirely THEIR fault and they still won't help you without the "customer service" package. a) we keep getting a message that says "duplicate entry or something is wrong" and they won't/can't fix it unless we pay. We can't rearrange the order of the point system items without literally going in one at a time and hitting "up up" until it gets to where you want. This takes HOURS. You can't delete one transaction that you've "held" (or "parked" in their terms) without deleting ALL parked transactions. The frequent buyer program/points system is clunky and hard to manually fix anything.. I guess it's trying to prevent fraud, but... for instance, I'm a pet food store... we do a buy 12 get 1 free program on our bags of dog food. If a person buys 6 bags of one food, and then switches to a different line of foods but the first 6 bags might sort of count (like they buy 15# bags, then buy 30# bags) you can't transfer the points from the first 6 bags at all... there is no way to "force" the free bag and deduct points. If you comp the bag manually, the customer gets one more point, not 6 less points. There is no report that I can find that tells you how many returns you've done in 1 month, or from 1 vendor, or from 1 customer, etc.. no way to track returns at all as far as I can tell. Sales per day of the week is also not found. In order to do my taxes each month, I have to run 2 separate reports... 1 to find service sales (non-taxable) and another to find tax exempt sales (like for government orgs). shall I go on?

Paul Response

5 years ago

I’m sorry our software didn’t work out for you Rachel. I hope you find something you’re more happy with. We do not force customers to purchase a subscription to our support and updates program – it is completely optional, but the vast majority of our customers do decide to go with the plan as it’s such a great value for your money. We offer unlimited support and complete software updates for just CAD $29/m which ensures that your software is always up-to-date and any new versions of the software are installed free of charge. The program IS entirely optional as well, and some of our customers decide not to purchase the program and instead just pay for tech-support if they need it. We also do include up to 6 hours of training, converting data and importing of inventory from an old POS system at no extra charge. As for our “Try before you buy” program, we have a full 90 Day 100% Money Back Guarantee for anyone who purchases our software licenses, so if for any reason they are not 100% completely satisfied with our software, they can receive a full refund no questions asked.

Heather B.
CFO in Canada
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

two way radio shop finally found rental software to manage serial numb

4 6 years ago

Pros:

We are a specialized radio shop and require that our products be tracked by serial numbers. While quickbooks and microsoft can manage this - you cannot search either of their pos systems by serial numbers. Amber is the first piece of software I have found in years that manages serial numbers AND will manage rental radios as well.

Cons:

Having to log in and out continually is time consuming. Logging in to the inventory function then in to pos sales function - It would be nicer if you logged in once and could move throughout the program on the same log in. You cannot edit an invoice once it is made - you have to void and re-issue with a different invoice number.

Laura W.
Owner in
Farming, 11-50 Employees

AmberPOS a Perfect Fit for our Complicated Business

5 4 years ago

Pros:

AmberPOS solved our complicated retail business's problems. We sell live animals as well as merchandise, both online and at our brick and mortar. Only AmberPOS could handle our complicated inventory needs and reporting, along with the usual POS issues. Hands down the absolute best customer support we could ask for!

Cons:

AmberPOS is complex so its interface is a bit complicated. After training and daily use we were able to get comfortable with AmberPOS and use it to its full potential.

Betty S.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees

The Best POS I have ever used

5 4 years ago

Pros:

Easy to use, adjust inventory, The support staff is just wonderful. I have never waiting more than 45 minutes for a call back. Prompt and professional. The set up was easy and all updates have been without a hitch. Love working with them and this product

Darcy L.
Museums & Institutions

Great Product and Customer Service

5 7 years ago

Pros:

Amber POS is a well-designed system that is adaptable to a variety of retail situations. We use it in a non-profit setting for admissions to an attraction, retail sales, memberships, and maintaining a customer/membership database that helps us track of member visits and purchases. We are also in the process of linking it to our e-commerce site so that all inventory will be drawn from one database.

Cons:

The training and support is fabulous. Answers are prompt, and the instructor made sure that we understood the functionality. They also checked in during the setup to make sure we are happy with the software and found ways to make it the most applicable to our needs.

Donald Q.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees

On the short list

4 4 years ago

Comments: Can use any merchant card services with it.

Pros:

Customer Care and Professional Sales Representative. Was very informative and ease of use. Positive results for speaking to others who use it.

Cons:

Seems a little pricey, I haven't found may things to criticize on. Nice that you don't have to buy a boatload of equipment.

Judy S.
Owner in
Retail, Self Employed

Works

3 5 years ago

Pros:

Everything is there and many reports Scans products and works well with the credit processing Can preform queries on data

Cons:

only had a few credit processing to use that would work with the system Ability to scan DL to get age verification still haven't been able to figure this out. When it scans, you get the driver's license number, not the birth date. very costly better off to purchase the software as the support they refer you to the online manual anyway. Once into your second year, your system will be paid for. make sure your data is the way they load into the system or you could be in big trouble with inventories not right.