• Overall
    4.4 /5
    4.3 /5
    4.7 /5

About Performance Management

Learn how leading mid size companies motivate and engage employees with online performance management software. See a free demo today!

Learn more about Performance Management

Showing 25 reviews of 281

Mariam A.
International Human Resources Manager
Nonprofit Organization Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-07-23

"Awesome Software - We absolutely love Trakstar"

Comments: Personally, I love Trakstar considering my several involvement as the lead HR Manager responsible for PMS. It was an easy sell to the Senior Management Team because it ticked all need boxes we had identified. The customization and integration process was a breeze, the account officer took a lot of the burden off us. Then transitioning the employees went smoothly, including the training. Our account officer worked so well with us and was willing to conduct trainings as early as 5am Eastern, considering the time difference between the US and our country offices in West Africa and Europe. She really appreciated her flexibility. As an administrator, I can tell you how effortless it is to assist employees, resolves issues, monitor the process, review reports and all required responsibilities. As a employee and a user, my appraisal was effortless. The reviews we have received from employees have been great, my manager is soo pleased with the system and feedback from the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] "I have never enjoyed appraisals as much as I am right now with Trakstar".

Pros: The flexibility of Trakstar to mirror the organization's current performance appraisal process was what sold us. We were able to adapt the software to fit our needs and the ease of use is absolutely great.

Cons: I honestly find it difficult to identity what I like least about this software. Compared to the previous software we used for Performance Appraisal, Trakstar is absolutely wonderful. It met all our software needs; the pricing was very reasonable, and the transition was effortless. From the sales agent to the account officer, we have had an awesome experience.

• Reviewed on 2020-07-23
Susan B.
Senior Administrative Assistant
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-06-11

"TrakStar Review"

Comments: It has helped to streamline our review process and we are fine-tuning it with each review cycle to reflect what we are really looking for in a review/performance management tool.

Pros: I find the layout of the software/site to be clean and pretty easy to maneuver around.

Cons: I find the software fairly easy to use - but I think it's more because I am one of the administrators and helped to customize it to our needs and the fact that I use it more often than other staff. We are still trying to get staff to use it more often (for notes, etc.) rather than once/twice a year when doing their reviews.

• Reviewed on 2020-06-11
Tim W.
Coach
  • Reviewed on 2018-12-06

"Tell them how you are doing"

Comments: I like being able to go back and point out certain accomplishments to my employer during my annual review

Pros: When our company started to engage this tool I thought it was silly. I have an appreciation for Trakstar now. It is a place where I can keep track of the many things that get forgotten otherwise.
I can go back and review my accomplishments from the beginning of the year and also gain a perspective of my growth in the last 12 months

Cons: the initial learning curve seemed a little steep, but it feels natural at this point

• Reviewed on 2018-12-06
Rebecca M.
Content Developer
Human Resources, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-08-03

"Simple, not overly-complicated interface, encourages participation"

Comments: Easy and fun to use, encourages MUCH more participation than any previous appraisal software I have used (which is usually associated with dread).

Pros: This software encourages you to input updates on your progress every month. This is an EXTREMELY valuable reminder because then you aren't racking your brain at the end of the year trying to remember your accomplishments. You can keep track of them year-round, and when your appraisal is due, the hard part is pretty much done. This helped a lot even for my 90-day appraisal. It breaks everything out among several competencies and it is a very user-friendly, dynamic interface that is kinda fun to use.

Cons: To be honest I cannot think of any criticism for this software.

• Reviewed on 2018-08-03
Lisa C.
Director, HR
  • Reviewed on 2016-08-22

"Great performance appraisal program"

Comments: We are a small non-profit association with about 85 active employees. We use TrakStar for our annual performance appraisal program . Our program is designed to have every employee receive a review at the same time each year, rather than each year on their annual anniversary. We also have a 90-day initial review, and a 6-month informal review.

Pros: This software is relatively uncomplicated for the regular employee, especially since they have redesigned the appearance. Training on the system does not take long and there are several helpful videos to provide assistance to staff and administrators. I find it to be pretty intuitive. In most cases there are some options for customizing your performance appraisal and the cycle.
They also have several opportunities for training of administrators through webinars (live and pre-recorded) and these are really useful.

Cons: I do wish there were more flexibility in customization and that it was easier to reach some of the relevant customer service videos; however, the customer service team (if you can reach them by phone) is very responsive and helpful.

Hi Lisa,

Such a nice, thoughtful review. You're using a lot of Trakstar, and that's awesome. I love that the videos have been helpful and that you've joined our webinars!

We're re-designing our support site as we speak Will you let me know if you find things to be easier once we release the changes? We'd love your feedback.

Aimee F.
HR Manager
  • Reviewed on 2017-09-18

"A bare-bones performance mgmt tool for organizations ready to upgrade but can't afford the big guns."

Comments: See my review - it focused on competencies, so as an organization looking to be more progressive, we were ready to use it.

Pros: Focus on competencies - which many other cheap - to - affordable products don't offer.

Cons: You can't customize the appraisal process. It's either the formal appraisal (with ratings) or a 'goal setting' function. So, it won't work for orgs like mine who tend to do a mid-year 'check-in' as opposed to the full appraisal process. Customer service is slow, email only really, and not always helpful in giving you a complete solution. They also do not do 360s which is something we've begun to do at my org. Also, if you are not focusing on competencies, as an org--which I'm certain MANY are not, I'm not at all sure how you would use this tool.

by Trakstar on 2017-09-20

Hi Aimee,

Thank you so much for leaving this review! Our customer's feedback is so important. I do want to mention that, as an administrator, 360 reviews can be enabled in your Trakstar site and we'd be happy to walk you through what that set up looks like. In addition, we might be able to offer some insight and take your feedback on how to have a more flexible review process by utilizing Trakstar's open ended questions and flexible rating scales features.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave this review and we hope we can help make your review process match what you're looking for!

• Reviewed on 2017-09-18
Maree T.
Human Resources Manager
  • Reviewed on 2010-08-31

"TrakStar's Performance Rates Highly"

Comments: Apart from the 'cons' noted above, the product is extremely well thought out, well researched, well supported and user friendly and I would definitely recommend it.

Pros: TrakStar mirrored our existing paper-based Performance Review process so was easy to 'sell' to our staff when it was first installed. The improvements over the years have made it even more user-friendly. Support is fantastic, and even though we are half-way around the world Glenn makes sure he answers my queries as promptly as he can - sometimes within an hour! Administratively, I really like the fact the system is so adaptable and easy to modify to meet the changing needs of our reviews. The reporting facility is also a bonus - I can report 'delinquents' to senior management and provide real-time information very quickly. The Promantek team listen to critiques and act on popular suggestions to make the system a better product.

Cons: There aren't many cons, I have enquired about having a page to list non-rateable items such as future aspirations, training needs, and barriers to improvement, and have been told these are on the development plan for future upgrades. Also our staff have said that the 1-5 rating system feels too restrictive, and that a 1-8 or 1-10 system may be more flexible. Personally I think 1-10 is too much, and a 1-7 rating system feels about right. I haven't enquired about this with Promantek so don't know if it can (or will) be changed or not.

• Reviewed on 2010-08-31
Dominique C.
Human Resources Generalist
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016-08-22

"Trakstar brings the stars to light!"

Comments: We were using the canned performance review process that our payroll company provided and were extremely unhappy with it's lack of flexibility. Trakstar gave us options that did not exist with our payroll vendor. We decided to go with Trakstar even though we were paying for the service with our payroll provider.

Pros: Ease of use as an administrator. The ability to be the "user" and see what they see.

Cons: Have not yet stumbled upon anything that we do not like.

Hi Dominique,

I love the title of your review, makes me smile! You've said so many kind things, I just want to thank you for all of them. Please continue to keep in touch and send us your ideas for improvement. Really. I like to hear.

Hillary S.
Director of Human Resources
Nonprofit Organization Management, 201-500 Employees

"Trakstar Rocks!"

Comments: Trakstar has helped streamline our performance review process and provided an opportunity to rethink our evaluation structure. Trakstar has excellent customer service and make it easy to go live. It has been an enjoyable process and now our reviews are less burdensome for the supervisors and HR department.

Pros: Easy access from anywhere, ease of making adjustment or changes, incorporating organizational goals, employee input, on-going feedback, pricing is reasonable, access to training videos...

Cons: It will be nice if additional components are options such as compensation manager, tracking applications, those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

Hi Hillary,

Love the title of your review, "Trakstar Rocks!" I think your review rocks... :-)

I love hearing about the various successes you've had, from rethinking evals to great customer service to streamlining...all good.

I also LOVE your idea of comp tracking. I can't promise exact new features (I can say there are good things in the works!) but I can say we are definitely exploring comp tracking to learn more. It's on our radar, too.

Thanks again for the kind words,

Julie M.
Director of Human Resources and Administration
  • Reviewed on 2017-10-03

"From implementation to follow up customer support, the customer service experience has been fantastic"

Pros: The ease of making custom changes once you know how to navigate the platform. You can even create ad hoc appraisals as needed.

Cons: That there is no group setting for multi-raters where we can invite all members or certain teams to be multi-raters. Instead you have to add multi-raters from a drop down one by one which can be tedious.

• Reviewed on 2017-10-03
Teri S.
Organizational Development Specialist
  • Reviewed on 2013-10-17

"Good for the Price"

Comments: This is a good basic system that does not have all the bells and whistles of something like Success Factors or Halogen. The pros are that it is much less expensive than those systems, fairly easy to learn, and covers the basics of an online performance management system pretty well. Unfortunately, we found the implementation process to lack enough support (there is the feeling that they just want you to put it in an not ask any questions), and the system to have some fairly non-user-friendly processes (some of them really don't make any sense at all, and we are getting a lot of questions from users who get "stuck" because of them). Overall, good for the price.

by Trakstar on 2013-11-11

We've been privileged to work with this customer and wish we could have met all of their expectations without any hiccups. After this review, we immediately contacted this customer to discuss anything we could do to rectify the situation as one of our core tenants is to provide exceptional customer service. Their feedback helped us identify a few areas that we have since improved.

While we can't guarantee every implementation will be perfect, we do the best we can to provide our customers the highest quality support we can offer, and we're improving all the time.

Thanks Teri for this review, it's an opportunity for us to grow.

• Reviewed on 2013-10-17
Michelle G.
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 Employees

"Trakstar is a Rockstar"

Comments: The staff at Trakstar are always helpful with any problems or issues. They offer great tutorials and webinars and are prompt in responding to any questions.

by Trakstar on 2016-08-23

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for a great review. I'm so glad you specifically called out the tutorials and webinars, and our staff. We are glad those resources have been helpful to you!

Kelsi W.
Human Resources Generalist
Architecture & Planning, 201-500 Employees

"User Friendly"

Comments: I always have a great experience with Trakstar. The feedback from our managers and employees is always positive. Every time I call into their Customer Support, they are very friendly and I get the answer I need in a quick manner.

Pros: User Friendly.

Cons: We have not found the reporting to be useful for what we are looking for.

Hi Kelsi,

Thanks so much for the review. e appreciate it and I'm so glad our support has been helpful.

As for reports, I would LOVE to know more about what would be useful...we're taking a look at reporting in 2017. Can you and I connect?

Nicholas H.
Graduate Research Assistant
Research, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-01-10

"Timely Feedback for Employees"

Comments: This software has made it possible for employees to take charge in viewing group goals and objectives, without having to go wait for their employer to reiterate these to them. I feel like it has made the workplace more efficient. Goal driven people are effective people.

Pros: I like that there is an option for peer-to-peer communication, as this could be a platform for constructive criticism. I also prefer this software because I am able to receive timely feedback from my employer, as well as see a list of employee goals so I'm always reminded what I'm working towards.

Cons: I wish that there was a means to do a mid-year review instead of just the set-up for a yearly review. I feel that mid-year or even quarterly reviews help to keep employees on track.

• Reviewed on 2019-01-10
Linda B.
VP - H.R. & Compliance
Security & Investigations, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-10-31

"Trakstar appraisal software"

Comments: Overall experience has been great - the product is a great value; it's easy to use and to teach others to use. The service team is very responsive.

Pros: It's an easy and intuitive platform from setting up to implementing and training others to utilize.

Cons: Keeping up with the upgrades can be challenging. However, Trakstar does their job of notification and preparatory work.

• Reviewed on 2018-10-31
Sara M.
HR Generalist
51-200 Employees

"Easy to use"

Comments: The implementation, training and integration process was very simple! The system is easy to use, both on a user side and administrative side.

Pros: The ease of use. Many of our employees do not use computers on a regular basis and often complain about new programs. We had many compliments on the ease of use of Trakstar. The note taking option is a great feature.

Cons: Only formal reviews. We did an informal review, but there was no real ability to track the review.

Hi Sara,

Thank you for your review! I'm glad you have had compliments on the ease of use of Trakstar. That's fantastic. Stay tuned in 2017, we're taking a look at informal reviews...no promises, but I can promise you it's a hot topic.

Lauren F.
HR Director

"Trakstar Review"

Comments: This is the first time using an online performance management software. It has changed the way reviews are done and has made it much more streamlined and user friendly. It also gives us more and more accurate reporting capabilities.

Pros: It's very user friendly for the most part. I havent been asked many questions about how to do things but we also put together our own training guides.

Cons: If you do more than one annual review a year it can cause some annoyances. For example, we have annual reviews open in addition to some 90 days and we had to create specific reports since the scores were being integrated.
It's difficult to do anything outside of the structured process that is already setup.
There is no way to export reports, just print. I also dont see a report that just lists name and final score next to it.

Hi Lauren,

I love that your first experience with online reviews was a.) with Trakstar and b.) streamlined. yes!

If you don't mind, I'll have support reach out to you on exporting reports. I think it might be possible, let's hope.

Julie

Brooke B.
Graphic Designer
  • Reviewed on 2018-04-10

"Simple user interface, does what it's supposed to"

Pros: I like how it saves all my work. I've had a few times where my computer crashed, but I always come back to all my information. User interface is nice and it's pretty easy to learn.

Cons: I wish there was a bit more customization from a user standpoint. Set up was a bit time consuming too. Overall, I'm excited to have Trakstar at my company.

• Reviewed on 2018-04-10
Amy W.
Applications Support & Project Analysis
Political Organization, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-07-30

"Modern, streamlined performance management"

Pros: Coming from a very clunky, slow SaaS tool, Trakstar is modern, fast, and easy to use. It saves as you go and warns you when changes might not be saved. It's very simple to add in goals and navigate around appraisals.

Cons: There are very simple abilities I would have expected (reordering goals after you've entered them) that aren't included, but I expect these to come with incremental tool improvements.

• Reviewed on 2018-07-30
Sheree Y.
Director of Human Resources
  • Reviewed on 2016-08-22

"Trakstar for smaller non profit."

Comments: Over all a good product. User friendly, and had nice features. I appreciate that they continue to look at ways to improve the system.

Pros: Competency based listing and goal setting options are nice. Users find it easy to move through the system.

Cons: Organizational chart is not user friendly for our size organization (90 employees). The system could benefit from offering additional reports or slicing options.

Hi Sheree,

Thanks so much for your review! I love that you have noticed how we're trying to improve Trakstar. I love your ideas about adding additional reports. In fact, we're taking a special look at reports in 2017. Stay tuned!

Mark W.
VP, Services
Consumer Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016-09-02

"I like it but could be more flexible"

Comments: I have enjoyed using the product and find it to be a huge improvement to emailing work templates around.

Pros: That everything is kept in one place. That I can easily incorporate other peoples feedback directly

Cons: Either as a manager of managers or just a manager I do not think my access to completed reviews is very good.

by Trakstar on 2016-09-02

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for your review of Trakstar. I'd love that everything is kept in one place, too, and you are right, email reminders are very helpful.

I'd love to hear what kind of flexibility you might like to see. Will you send me an email outside of Capterra? Customer feedback is how we design and improve.

Thank you again!
--Julie

• Reviewed on 2016-09-02
Judith B.
HR Manager
  • Reviewed on 2016-03-22

"Trakstar facilitates our appraisal cycle just as we want it to"

Comments: Before implementing Trakstar in your organization you have to have a clear view of the way you want your appraisal cycle facilitated. There are so many possibilities with pros and cons and after implementing Trakstar it is not good for the employees if you make changes during the appraisal cycle. We have the luck in The Netherlands that a Dutch re-selller of the product helps us implementing the software, helps us with making choices and is able to answer all our questions.
For the employees the software is easy to use and although we just started this year with Trakstar people are enthousiastic!

by Trakstar on 2016-03-23

Hello Judith,

Thank you for your review! You are correct, it is good to know how you might envision your appraisal cycle. There are many ways to customize Trakstar.

I'm so glad you work with our Dutch reseller, Dries Vinke. He's amazing.

Again, thank you.

Kind regards,

• Reviewed on 2016-03-22
Digital Marketing Specialist
Internet, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017-11-07

"Trakstar gets the job done."

Pros: Ease of use, great for remote employees, provides metrics for you based on what you input to the system, can take notes on the progress of your goals at any time.

Cons: Trakstar only gives you three options to choose from when updating the progress on your goals. I would like to see more options so the metrics are more accurate.

• Reviewed on 2017-11-07
Tracey B.
Executive Administrator
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees

"Easy to customize"

Comments: I found Trakstar easy to set up and easy to customize. Changes to the system as we go have been a cinch.

Pros: I like how easy Trakstar makes setting up an appraisal system that fits our company's culture.

Cons: Honestly, we haven't had any issues using the software to date.

Hi Tracey,

Your review is very much appreciated. Thank you! I'm glad you haven't encountered any issues. Thanks for mentioning the webinars, they are intended to help as they appear to have helped you, which is great!

Amy F.
HR Specialist
  • Reviewed on 2016-03-17

"We have used it for 3 years"

Comments: Pulling reports and tracking where employees and/or supervisors are at in the scoring phase is much appreciated. Wish there was a report you could run to see quickly and easily how many supervisors are taking notes throughout the year. Position templates are great. Wish there was a way you could update verbiage of a competency to only affect future appraisals and not the current active appraisal.

by Trakstar on 2016-03-17

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your review of Trakstar! We also love receiving customer suggestions, and consider *every single one* as we build features. While I can't guarantee we can build each feature our customers request, I can promise we all consider every one that comes through.

Thank you again, and please let us know if there is more we can do to help you be successful - fresh trainings, etc.

Kind regards,