15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Paylocity

All-in-one, modern HR and payroll solutions that make real-time smart recommendations to help you drive better business outcomes.

Learn more about Paylocity

Pros:

I liked the integration with my tax software. I only exported my payroll information, reviewed it, and that's it.

Cons:

The dashboard is TOO confusing for some people-this is NOT technologically inept friendly at all.

Paylocity ratings

4.0

7.9/10

Paylocity has an overall rating of 4.3 out 5 stars based on 825 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Paylocity before?

Nicole
Nicole
Director of Human Resources in US
Retail, 51–200 Employees

User friendly HRIS

Comments: Paylocity has been amazing through and through. We have been able to do so many great engagement activities thanks to Community. Managers are able to submit journal entries on the go for quick responses and feedback.

Pros:

We love the mobile capability for our team. Most features are accessible from smartphones, which helps our technicians in the field.

Cons:

The benefits of EDI transfers were more of an issue that it's worth implementing. Rates changes and the open enrollment spreadsheet is cumbersome. It's our least favorite product.

Tasha
Regional Director in US
Civic & Social Organization, 11–50 Employees

Paylocity is a great tool to use!!!

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: My overall experience with Paylocity has been great!

Pros:

I really like the trainings that Paylocity offers.

Cons:

Some of the trainings that paylocity offers seems to repeat a lot of the same information over and over again.

Health, Wellness & Fitness, 201–500 Employees

Just... Don't.

1.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Horrible. Paylocity makes my job more difficult every day. As an HR employee, Paylocity is the root cause of every problem in our department. If I had the option and Paylocity were free, I would still pay to use something else.

Pros:

The visual appearance. For the most part, things LOOK professional.

Cons:

Everything else. Every part of the system is built to look like it works, but it all stops there. It's like a carboard cutout. Yeah, it looks like a person, but from every other perspective, there's NOTHING there.

Angela
Property Manager in US
Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Paylocity lets you see YOUR HR info!

Comments: I like that as a supervisor, I can edit and change the employees punches if they are not saved in real time. I can easily see the timesheets and know how many hours everyone has. The app needs improvement but the website is easy to navigate and you can pull tax info and print pay stubs easily.

Pros:

I value the features that Paylocity offers with time keeping, w-2 and tax information, wages, time off requests and daily punches because they can all be easily accesses by each employee at their own leisure. The time keeping features are wifi (IP) address specific as to allow employees to clock in /out from their own devices on wifi.

Cons:

The biggest issue I have with Paylocity would be that it rounds punches up or down depending on the actual minute on the hour. Let the minutes count for what they are. The app is also a disaster.

Tirus
Real Estate, 51–200 Employees

Why Paylocity Is The Real Deal

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

When it comes to matters human resource management, Paylocity is king. It comes with great features and it super affordable It makes payroll processing easy and handles online payroll needs. It also helps with tax compliance and makes handling performance management easy too

Cons:

It has been super smooth with Paylocity and no hurdles yet.

Suresh
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51–200 Employees

The Ideal Payroll Process Software

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

It comes with a helpful employee database It helps when it comes to payroll processing It has time tracking and employee engagement features It simplifies most HR processes thanks to its many features.

Cons:

It has helped us meet all the intended needs and no regrets

Human Resources, Self Employed

Well-rounded HRIS

4.0 3 days ago New

Pros:

I've had many employees mention how easy the platform is to use. I, myself, enjoy the ease of set up and administration. Especially when it comes to implementing NEW modules, the team has been great.

Cons:

It can me almost TOO many options. But, for a certain size company, I can see the additional options becoming more important.

Cates
employee in US
Hospitality, 201–500 Employees

Employee time tracking

5.0 last week New

Pros:

I used the Paylocity app to track my time on the job - clocking in and clocking out daily. The ease of the app was great!

Cons:

I didn't run into any negative aspects of the app.

Madilyn
Senior Research Associate in US
Biotechnology, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Good Payroll Platform

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Paylocity has everything a user needs for payroll and tax forms. I've never had an error or issue occur with the compensation aspect. I also enjoy how this site breaks down your check graphically - it's super easy to see where your pay is going.

Cons:

The format of the website could be a little better organized and easier to navigate.

CFO in US
Hospital & Health Care, 501–1,000 Employees

Paylocity review

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Customer and IT service and tax reporting.

Cons:

None, the service has been solid and have no major issues.

Corina
Human Resources Business Partner in US
Retail, 51–200 Employees

So good, selected a 2nd time

Comments: I first used Paylocity 10 years ago at a prior employer when we were changing our payroll system. When I left that company last year, we were still using Paylocity and happy with the services it provided. At my new employer, I was tasked with finding a way to leave a P.E.O. and researched several other systems before settling on Paylocity again. For the functionality and the pricing, Paylocity was very competitive for what we needed.

Pros:

The features that Paylocity offers for an entire HCM system is very easy to use and implement.

Cons:

It isn't always scalable. Some features that get rolled out are in the early stages making them difficult to implement all the time because the pieces desired are missing. We had originally planned to use the recruiting and applicant tracking system but it would take so long to set-up, it doesn't make sense to move from what we have been using that has so much of our previous history already available.

Jen
Accounting Specialist in US
Logistics & Supply Chain, 51–200 Employees

Happy Customer

Comments: No system is perfect, but we are overall happy with Paylocity. They have multiple modules that we just keep adding on that make connecting with employees and having one system for multiple aspects of the business very easy.

Pros:

Paylocity is easy to use for users. I love that the company is always improving the software and values feedback. Our account manager is always helpful. I manage payroll and Paylocity makes it very easy to complete and I love how there are so many things that integrate with the system. For instance, our 401(k) provider connects, as well as the benefits module.

Cons:

The reporting is not very user-friendly for what we use it for, especially expense reports. But overall they are always making improvements and asking for feedback, which makes me hopeful that the reports will improve more.

Madison
Benefits & HRIS Specialist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 201–500 Employees

Better than most HR Systems for the price

Comments: Overall, I truly like using Paylocity and feel that it is much more user friendly for both employees and admins. I would definitely recommend Paylocity to my peers in HR.

Pros:

I use Paylocity for onboarding, employee record management, benefits, payroll, reporting and status changes (LOAs, terms, etc.) Paylocity's features can do almost everything that an HR team would need, with only a few lapses that we hope they can improve. The service team is easy to reach and pretty knowledgeable/helpful. Additionally, I assisted with implementation of the product, and I feel that it was pretty smooth and easy to do compared to other HRIS's I've assisted with implementing.

Cons:

There are only a couple cons with the software, which are really more of "nice to haves" rather than necessitates. One being that the system does not allow for bulk imports of certain information past implementation. We recently discovered we wanted to start tracking something in the system, and without the ability to bulk import it we had to enter everything manually. Additionally, there are random glitches that the service team is working to resolve, like issues with requesting time off on the App and tracking employee documents in the system. I hope that these issues will be resolved soon.

Michelle
Director Human Resources in US
Medical Practice, 201–500 Employees

Best Company I've worked with in a long time!

Comments: Great!

Pros:

Paylocity has an amazing support team. When I need something, I call and someone is there to help me immediately. I never have to wait on hold or for a call back. Very user friendly!

Cons:

The implementation was rough, that was three years ago, so maybe things have changed, but I was over promised and underdeliverd. The sales team needs to work better to truly understand all the things the systems can and can't do

Kristen
Food & Beverages, 51–200 Employees

Paylocity Review

Comments: Overall, I love Paylocity. I implemented Paylocity at my old employer and when I switched job, I implemented the new employer to Paylocity too.

Pros:

The best part of this software is how user friendly it is. I also really like the customer service. Having my own designated representative is very important to me and saves a lot of time. We utilize a lot of the features of this software and really don't have any complaints. Whenever there is something that needs improvement, you can request an enhancement and the team will look into fixing it.

Cons:

I wish there was the ability to quickly calculate time off balances on the employee screen while including approved PTO requests in the future. There are a few things in the performance dashboard that I didn't love, however I am hoping to get these resolved before next year with help from the Paylocity team.

Anne
HR & Admin Manager in US
Machinery, 51–200 Employees

Paylocity makes HR processes painless

Comments: The integration of their modules make it easy to track employee participation and completion. I love having a digital record of all HR processes - compensation, performance reviews, training, tax documents, etc. Less paper in the employee file. The information is readily available to associate's who are able to ask relevant questions to HR.

Pros:

I love the suite of integrated platforms. The work flow from Applicant Tracking to Hiring to Web Benefits. It all fits together and makes daily tasks so much easier.

Cons:

It was a challenge to get the COBRA file information flowing to the carriers from Web Benefits. It is difficult to make a change to submitted time off requests. The entire entry must be deleted instead of allowing for modifications.

Cheryl
Sr. HR Business Partner in US
Civic & Social Organization, 201–500 Employees

Paylocity our trusted partner

Comments: Overall very positive. Implementation went very smoth

Pros:

Comprehensive HRIS system. We use for payroll, benefits, onboarding and time & attendance. Mobile app is good.

Cons:

I can't think of anything at the moment.

Tom
Chief Operating Officer in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 501–1,000 Employees

Paylocity User 5+ years

Comments: The system works well once configured properly and its price point is strong; the system has a broad set of capabilities to meet a wide range of needs however implementing these various solutions can be frustrating as the customer support model is, in my opinion, flawed. A single point of contact is assigned however anything involving system changes or functional additions requires the issue be assigned to an 'internal team' where queues tend to be extremely long.

Pros:

The product has excellent, though not intuitive, report writing capabilities.

Cons:

Implementation was a challenge; platform has week customer support often taking days, or even weeks, to have issues resolved when they crop up. The system is complex, as most powerful systems are, and finding employees with experience with the platform is difficult.

LeighAnn
Construction, 51–200 Employees

You can do SOOO much better

Comments: None. I spent SOO much time trying to fix issues on a regular basis. Complete waste of time.

Pros:

GPS tracking for mobile punchers. Nothing more

Cons:

Oh gosh...how much time do you have??? There are so many issues. I guess I'll try to hit the highlights. The City mandated paid sick time- it took them SIX MONTHS to get this programmed CORRECTLY. My ACA forms were completed incorrectly. I received notices from the IRS for two of my four companies that the forms needed to be redone and resubmitted. Paylocity never responded to my WEEKLY requests for updates on the status of the corrections. I ended up manually correcting and resubmitting myself. We made updates to our 401k plan. It took a month for them to get the matches calculated correctly and we didn't know until Q3 that when they did the set-up, they click a box to over-ride IRS regs (WHY is there even such a thing???) so I had employees that over contributed and over matched. When raising the issue with PL, the Rep said to just refund the excess (clearly he had no idea about 401k rules). On another occassion, last check of the year, my payroll person had to re-process a check for someone with 401k. When re-running the check she noticed the 401k contribution was missing (she didn't realize he hit the yearly max) so she contacted Paylocity. The Rep told her to CHANGE THE EMPLOYEE'S DOB!!!! so the system would allow a catch-up contribution and then change it back after she processed the check. HE WAS NOT ALLOWED A CATCH-UP. Needless to say, the employee received a distribution the next year for the excess contribution. HORRIBLE response to issues.

Becky
Sr. Director of Human Resources in US
Entertainment, 201–500 Employees

Highly Recommend

Comments: Overall, I've been really really with Paylocity. I think they've done a really fantastic job updating the system for COVID related issues such as FFCRA, ERC, etc. For that, I am very very very thankful.

Pros:

The customer service is really great. I am able to call my dedicated service person any day of the week and they know me and my needs. If my dedicated service person is ever unavailable, then the other reps i contact are very helpful as well.... you don't see this with every HRIS system. They also seem to care about our requests for system improvements which I think is critical. I find this system fairly easy to use given my experience with other systems. The reporting is good for the most part although some custom reports cost extra which is not cool. I have really enjoyed the in-person conference offered to clients especially since they let clients meet one-on-one with the actual product developers and ask questions and make suggestions for needed upgrades. Upgrades come on a regular basis and are available to users immediately without changing "products" which is fantastic compared to some other vendors.

Cons:

The modules i am not using like applicant tracking, recruitment, onboarding, benefits management, etc. aren't really built out enough to make them worth the high price. I still have to use other software for all of those services because i've found better vendors that do most of what i need and they aren't as expensive as the Paylocity add-on. It's too bad, because I'd really like to use one system for everything. Upper management is not accessible which is disappointing. There is no way to add volunteers and independent contractors into the HRISI system for free - this is usually available from HRIS systems.

Colleen
HR Coordinator in US
Libraries, 51–200 Employees

Paylocity rocks!

Comments: Overall, it's great to have everything in one place and to have the different modules interact with each other. Much easier than previous products we've used!

Pros:

I love the idea of having almost all of the aspects of my job in one place! For the most part, the software is easy to use. The Impressions in the Self-Service section is used by our staff for our annual awards, as well as, a way to say good things about your co-workers. Paylocity ROCKS!!!

Cons:

Onboarding can be a bit difficult to use. I had to send the link 3 times for our last new employee because it wouldn't let her in. It's not as instinctual as I'd like.

Tina
Human Resources Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 501–1,000 Employees

Paylocity Rating

Comments: Time and Efficiency Savers:
1)We were able to go from a paper based evaluation process to an electronic based process with Paylocity.
2) We we able to go from a paper expense report to an electronic based process where the expense flowed automatically from employee to supervisor to their paycheck.
3) ACA reporting is handled by Paylocity.
4) Benefits Open Enrollment is now electronic with Paylocity. The employee elections, changes, deletions, all flow from HR directly to the carriers. No more having to log-in to various carrier portals to make these changes.
5) File feeds are big time saver.
6) We saved money on employee training courses by using the training courses offer by Paylocity.
7) Paylocity offers many compliance dashboards that saves time and money as it flags errors in real time.

Pros:

1) You have a dedicated Account Manager. 2) I have worked with a few payroll companies during my HR tenure and Paylocity by far is the best product on the market. It is so user friendly. Employees love it because it is easy to use, it has a mobile app, and anything they need related to payroll and benefits is in one place. 3) Transferring from our old payroll company to Paylocity was an easy transition. Paylocity provides you with a dedicate account manager for payroll and time entry. The do all the work. 4) Compliance with Paylocity cannot get an easier. There are Compliance Dashboards, ACA Reporting Dashboards, Year End Reporting Dashboards. Everything is configured in the system and ready for your review in each of the Dashbaords. 5) Paylocity has the most user friendly Reporting feature I've seen in any product. Lots of standard reports. Easy to use custom reporting featuring. 6) Lots of module that you add as you need, Perf Mgmt, Expenses, Recruting, On-Boarding, to name a few. 7) Performance Mgmt module is so easy to set and customize to your needs. Employees loved using it. It includes a Journal feature that the managers can keep notes throughout the year.

Cons:

No Cons. I've used other payroll companies in the past, Paylocity far exceeds all of them.

Alison
Exec. Director in US
Philanthropy, 51–200 Employees

Persistent Issues/High Turn-Over

Comments: Their sales is excellent and they will sell you what they have while telling you they can make anything else work as they started as a "tech company." Be warned however, you never actually get to talk to a "tech person" if you have issues with their system and therefore, nothing ever changes. They also have a lot of turn-over and it appears that they lose their quality representatives to promotions and seemingly do not have incentive for those quality employees to stay in the representative positions. Those left to support the customer are typically very new and/or entirely unpleasant to work with. If you see exactly what they have during the sales pitch and it works for you, this company could work well for your payroll needs! I would highly discourage any employer from using this company if you have employees that work outside of typical daytime work hours. I do not have confidence that they are willing or able to fix some of the detrimental payroll issues that we are experiencing.

Pros:

There are a lot of options that you can decide to use with Paylocity and like other reviewers, we were really impressed with the report options and capabilities when we were interviewing payroll companies.

Cons:

We were definitely sold on a lot of options that we are necessary for us to run a smooth, effective and correct payroll but many of those have turned out not to be true. I'll describe out top three persistent, unresolved issues. For starters, we have employees the work overnight shifts and the way Paylocity time sheets are set up is that if you work an overnight, all of your hours fall on the day you clocked in. This is a huge issue at the end of the week when employees would get paid for overtime in that week if we didn't manually adjust their time sheets to split the shift at midnight. I'll state that again... we have to manually edit every time sheet to correctly prevent incorrect payment of overtime. It's extremely time consuming and often leads to more errors and Paylocity has failed to mitigate this issue at every chance. Secondly, some of our employees receive a shift differential if they work certain hours. Paylocity reportedly has a set up for this that "works at other companies" but in our experience, it is a serious disaster. Their code/rule/setup does not catch the correct hours for adding the differentials and does one of six things: 1. It does not add the differential at all 2. It adds the differential to some, but not all, of the correct hours 3. It adds the differential to hours that it does not apply to 4. It adds a double differential and on rare occasion a 1.5 differential 5. It adds random dollar amounts at the differential rate with no corresponding hours 6. It occasionally pays all of the hours correctly for one or two employees per payroll To sum this up, we have to review ever employee and manually adjust these calculations. I'll state that again... we have to manually edit every time sheet to correctly pay our employees. It's extremely time consuming and often leads to more errors. Paylocity has also failed to mitigate this issue at every chance. Lastly, we have been with Paylocity for almost exactly 2 years and are now working with our sixth company rep who can guarantees, like all the others, that they will solve this issue. There has been one attempt at resolving the issues that

Jorge
Jorge
Human Resources Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Payroll and Employee management made simple.

Comments: The overall experience is satisfactory and exciting for future things to come on live.

Pros:

I like the overall functionality and user friendly capabilities. Mobile app is great

Cons:

There is still much room for improvement on expansion but that’s with anyone and anything.

Collin
Collin
HRIS / Payroll Analyst in US
Retail, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Solid Payroll Platform for Small to Medium Size Businesses

Comments: If you are a small to medium size business, this could be a great vendor for you. However, if you predict growing to a large enterprise level company down the road, it may be best to consider other vendors who can scale with you. In our experience, we outgrew Paylocity's functionality, and its system limitations caused us to move to another vendor. That is not to the fault of Paylocity however; I'm sure Facebook doesn't use Quickbooks!

Pros:

Payroll platform is fairly robust compared to other systems targeting the small/medium size business demographic. Customer support and Reporting Suite is above average. I never had any problems with working with them at a company with around 150 employees. Cloud-based system is fast and nimble. Year end process was fairly painless. Can handle high-frequency payroll (we process weekly). Low processing time from pay period end to payday (Next day). Pricing is competitive!

Cons:

The software is comprised as modules. Not an all in one solution out of the box. We utilized the HRIS and Payroll modules of Paylocity. I prefered the Payroll system over the HRIS, which seemed to be more of an afterthought. Implementation and support quality is not the best I've seen compared to other vendors. We ultimately transitioned to a larger payroll vendor with more robust functionality once our company grew to about 250 employees and do not regret it.