15 years helping Canadian businesses

ActiveCampaign Reviews

4.6 (2,427) Write a Review!

About ActiveCampaign

We help small teams power big businesses with the must-have platform for intelligent marketing automation.

Learn more about ActiveCampaign

Pros:

Automations are really easy to setup, email templates are good and easy to design. What I like the most about this software is user experience.

Cons:

I struggled a bit to get the email function working for my monthly company newsletter but that was mostly because I'd made an error with the segment feature.

ActiveCampaign ratings

4.2
4.4
4.5
4.4

8.4/10

ActiveCampaign has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 2,427 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used ActiveCampaign before?

Filter reviews (2,427)

Saskia
Saskia
Senior Director Sales Marketing in US
Restaurants, 10,000+ Employees

Highly recommended, user-friendly, and helpful

Comments: We can identify which contacts are most interested in our content and website thanks to Active Campaign, we can sell more conference tickets, and we can learn more about our audience by analyzing their open and click rates. With the help of these resources, we can divide our target audience into the subsets we need to accomplish our aims.

Pros:

We've seen significant efficiency gains thanks to Active Campaign. They have made it simple to set up automated email sequences, or "drip campaigns," that will keep our subscribers and viewers interested. To generate sales, set up reminders, and get rid of inactive contacts has all been aided by this. Easy contact tagging, list segmentation, and A/B testing are other highlights. Active Campaign is simple to use, and there are many tutorials and guides available online.

Cons:

We were initially put off by the software's seeming complexity and difficulty. However, there is a learning curve associated with it, and it does take some time to properly comprehend and apply all of its capabilities. After putting in the work, though, we found that it was well worth it. ActiveCampaign is great, and we highly recommend it.

Marit
CEO in Netherlands
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Amazing product for the more experienced

4.0 last month New

Pros:

I love that Active Campaign has almost endless possibilities. My whole business is built on e-mail marketing and AC takes the work out of my strategy.

Cons:

It looks pretty dated and it's laggy at times. Also, sometimes a scheduled campaign doesn't work or gets stuck and you don't get an error or message about it.

Aimee Rebekah
Aimee Rebekah
Executive Director in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

Customer Service & User Experience led me to leave after 7 Years

Comments: I switched to Convert Kit. 100X better interface, they do email automation and I can use it as a CRM even though it does not advertise itself as a CRM. Also, it is just a much more user friendly space, they have excellent customer service, chat works, emails get answered and I feel taken care of.

Pros:

I used Active Campaign for 7 years mainly because I had not found another software that integrated email marketing & a CRM. Also, I gained alot of subscribers during this time and developed alot of automations, but I really feel like I could have done this with any other software, I attribute it more to my actions and not the software. The software itself was painful to use the entire time due to regular glitches in the email editor which is from the internet stone age.

Cons:

Recently, the experience with customer service has gone downhill and my user experience has been less than acceptable for a company I pay over $100 a month to. The chat does not work, when I report problems, my emails are not answered. The emails are clunky to create and I just find myself avoiding writing emails (which is not like me) just because the interface and software itself does not provide a smooth or enjoyable experience. Their email editor is OLD, and even though they just did an upgrade, it still is just not anywhere close to Convert Kit, which is what I decided to switch to. I am loyal and I will stick with something, especially software for as long as possible, because migrating data takes so much time and energy. But I became physically unable to give one more ounce of my time or energy to this software. I recently had multiple poor customer service interactions. I found myself being led down multiple unnecessary paths to fix issues unrelated to my problem. I had a sense that they have new people who don't really know what they are doing.

Semiconductors, 11–50 Employees

Excellent marketing automation platform

Comments: I was able to get the platform fully functional within one week, including linking it with my website and CRM system. If is very easy to update contacts and create new automations.

Pros:

Very easy to use: can quickly set up many automations, easy to create contact sub-groups, and send out email campaigns. If you have any issues, their customer support is outstanding!

Cons:

While pretty good, the email marketing module is inferior to MailChimp.

Josh
Creative Director in Canada

ActiveCampaign Leads the Way in Email Automation

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall, I love ActiveCampaign. It is one of my favourite email marketing platforms.

Pros:

I love the ability to set up complex flows based on conditional logic and user actions to make sure my marketing emails get sent to the right people at the right time.

Cons:

The pricing can be tough to justify for smaller startups with smaller email lists.

Stephen
CEO in US
Internet, 2–10 Employees

A must have autoresponder

Comments: My overall experience with active campaign has been very good I've been with them for about 7 years now I've never had any issues with the software it works perfectly fine I'm a happy customer five-star.

Pros:

What I like about active campaign is that it's very fast I've never had any issues with it great security and I'm able to do everything from one dashboard setup was also very easy as well.

Cons:

The only thing I could say that I like lease is I wish it could be a little bit cheaper as active campaign is more on the high end side so a lot of people still can't afford it.

Cub
Clinical Director in US
Mental Health Care, 11–50 Employees

Wonderful Product - Requires Significant Technology Knowledge

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

The ActiveCampaign platform is very feature rich and has a lot of build-in integration options.

Cons:

It's hard to troubleshoot/debug automations, there are not any logs available. Also, it requires a consultant/firm to set up the marketing automations correctly. Despite having a significant technical background, it's not something in my wheelhouse.

Ram
Chief of Party in US
Construction, 201–500 Employees

A Well-grounded Email Marketing and Marketing Automation Platform.

5.0 last month New

Comments: ActiveCampaign delivers meaningful customer experiences.ActiveCampaign also increases customer engagements.

Pros:

It is simple to streamline and automate marketing workflows hence increasing productivity with ActiveCampaign.It is possible to reach out target audience with optimized personalized emails.Running marketing campaigns across multiple channels is possible with ActiveCampaign.

Cons:

I haven't experienced any glitches with ActiveCampaign because it achieves all my objectives.

Pius
Marketing Director in US
Media Production, 11–50 Employees

Elaborate Contact and Marketing Solution

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

ActiveCampaign makes every communications effective, and this acts as the primary form of marketing.

Cons:

ActiveCampaign is inclusive in making communication straightforward.

A productivity booster

4.0 last month New

Comments: Overall, my experience is highly satisfactory, and I recommend individuals with similar needs for frequent communication to use this software.

Pros:

Save time with email automation and others

Cons:

Not much else except for the price, which may still decrease to the delight of many

Néstor
Néstor
Founder in Spain
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

This guys know how to do things the right way

Comments: Let me say it clearly: A-W-E-S-O-M-E Trust me, they are the "real deal".

Pros:

Instead of boring the hell out of you making a long list of all the things I like about AC, I would resume them in just 3 "little" things I care of: - Reputation: They REALLY care about sender reputation. And, you know... an email that doesn´t get to my suscribers is like loosing money out of my pocket. So, I´me really happy the way they´re handling things on this department - Ease of use + functionalities: Most other services only offer one of them things. But I want them all. AC covers all my needs regarding this issues (and I´m a choosy guy, you know). - It´s scalable!: This is a biggy. As your businees grows, you´ll have a new set of needs when it comes to automation. AC scales as your business thrives so you don´t have to switch companies never again.

Cons:

I´m a Spanish user and would love a full Spanish translation (at the moment we hace a partial translation) for Spanish users.

David J.
David J.
Managing Director in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

If you had to recommend one marketing automation tool for small business, here it is

Comments: I refuse to ever tell a client there's a single software in any category that they should use without proper investigation further, but I have yet to run into a time where ActiveCampaign wasn't a massive improvement to upgrade to from other tools of similar price but lesser capabilities, like MailChimp and ConstantContact. AC has been my own email marketing and marketing automation system for approximately five years now and I don't see myself moving away from it at any point. It's important for me to be aware of the tools on the market, and there are other great ones, but none that have been a worthwhile transition off AC for.

Pros:

You have a massive amount of features available to you to handle basic email marketing, advanced marketing automation, behavioral automations, tagging and audience segmentation, and so on. That's just the basic package, too. More advanced packages introduce a CRM (Customer Relationship Management) aspect that is particularly helpful for sales teams, Lead scoring to help prioritize accounts for your sales teams to be more efficient, and dynamic content (among many other features).

Cons:

There is little to see on the Cons. If I had to select something, I suppose the limit of three users on the Lite plan can be frustrating. However, it's typically safe enough for a small business, easy to share logins if needed, and the price and added features of upgrading to the Plus plan is quite affordable as well.

Kevin
Kevin
Digital Marketing Strateeg in Netherlands
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

The automations work like a charm

Comments: We are using Mailblue, which is a certified partner of ActiveCampaign and makes their software available in my native language and with Dutch support. This makes it quite easy to get support when you need it. We were looking for a tool with e-mail, automation and lead scoring features. As we didn't have any in-house knowledge about these (especially the tools), I've done some research. ActiveCampaign came out as the tool with the best functionalities for the best price (through Mailblue). This made me decide to start a demo, and eventually get the software. So far, it does exactly what I need and at this time it doesn't cost me a lot of time to figure out how to use it. The only thing is we currently don't really use the lead scoring mechanism as it needs a lot of tweaking (on our side). But as all other features are working really well for me, we're still happy users of the software.

Pros:

The flexibility of the tool is something I really like. It's quite easy to use your own email templates, which are (as long as you keep it simple) completely adjustable as well as responsive. Besides that, the automation part is working like a charm. By using your own tags and fields you can practically do anything you want.

Cons:

I am still trying to figure out how to set up a link with our current CRM. As ActiveCampaign has their own CRM built in, this is not one of the key futures. For our business however, we only use ActiveCampaign for the e-mail marketing and automations (so only the marketing department is using this tool). The entire company is built on the use of our CRM, so we'd like to see all of the ActiveCampaign data on there for a complete report.

Mikael
Business owner in Portugal
Sports, Self Employed

Highly recommended email service provider (and so much more)

Comments: Outstanding. In addition to how great the software is, the few times I've been in contact with customer support, that experience has also been very, very good. And the pricing is very reasonable for what the product gives you.

Pros:

I am only using the Email Service Provider side of the software, not the CRM, so I will comment from the ESP perspective. What I like the most is the unlimited flexibility and features. In the "old days", marketers needed super expensive and complicated software like Infusionsoft to achieve what ActiveCampaign can do, in terms of automation, rules, segmentation and so on. This unlimited flexibility means you can make your email marketing as simple or as sophisticated as you like, the choice is yours. Generally speaking, the features of the software are outstanding!

Cons:

In some ways the user interface can be a bit clumsy, e.g. when creating an email campaign. It's not bad, but there's room for improvement.

Noa
CEO in Israel
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

ActibeCampaign is a professional game changer!

Comments: Overall, an excellent experience, that has transformed my organization's digital marketing and engagement.

Pros:

I love the flow of the automations and segmentation. It's opened a whole new world of opportunities for my organisation.

Cons:

I'm not sure whether I have yet to find it, but from the exploration that I've done on the mobile app, I couldn't find tracking for automations, nor for forms. That would come in handy. As for the software in general, it would have been helpful to be able to see an overview of all campaigns and automations in one place, rather than having automations on one tab and campaigns on another. Also, it would be helpful if I could go into a sent campaign and resend it to myself (not a specific contact), and access the original message and list of people who received the campaign more easily. Currently feels like I need to go through 2-3 steps each time in order to do so.

Millie
Millie
President and Co-Founder in New Zealand
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

A good all-rounder

Comments: Active Campaign is our one stop hub for our sales and marketing activity so we have an almost global view of how our customers and and prospects are interacting with us - the exception is our help desk but I'm sure we could integrate that too if we really wanted to. We use Active Campaign to track our:
- Sales team interactions - emails, including emails we send from our own inboxes, tasks and follow up tasks, and call records - as long as we enter them!
- We use it to send and tracks all the newsletter/marketing interactions and all our automated emails for customers on free trials.
- We also track key interactions with our own product (though an integration we built ourselves) so the sales team have a quick reference to important behaviours.

Pros:

Moved to Active Campaign from Infusionsoft (2 years ago now, before they changed their name) and we were very satisfied at that particular time that Active Campaign was the superior product. Good marketing and automation tools - which have also had a lot of investment and attention in the two years we've been using Active Campaign - as well as a solid CRM and lead/opportunity management dashboard. We have the Enterprise Grade subscription which gives us access to a dedicated account manager. This was really useful in the first year and we had an excellent account manager at that time.

Cons:

Active Campaign have really focused in recent years on the live / real time behaviour tools and giving users the ability to build extremely complex automations. For us though, we would prefer a bit more focus on improving the CRM and things that make contact and lead management easier - such as the ability to add follow up tasks from the (otherwise excellent) Gmail widget.

Alexandra Valeska
Freelance Marketing Strategist in Mexico
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

I always recommend Active Campaign for Funnels and Lead Nurturing strategies.

Comments: Active campaign has helped me a lot with developing my main service which is to create, implement and optimize funnels for different companies in wide niches.

Pros:

What i love about this software is the sequence automations, use of tags and goals. They are time savers and easy to use once you understand the logic. It does not take great time to learn either. There is a lot of useful blog posts and documentations to achieve the goals plus a Facebook Group community if very specific help is needed.

Cons:

Loading time. Would like to have a faster loading time when it comes to saving emails, creating landing pages and reports.

Katya
Developer in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

ActiveCampaign is the most (arguably) the most popular for a reason

Comments: Any obstacle we have faced since migrating to this email software has been removed by their stellar customer service reps, who record screengrabs during your chat with them to answer questions. The software itself is the best we've experienced for email autoresponders.

Pros:

Switching to ActiveCampaign has been a great business decision. Creating automations and flows triggered by customer activity has been a breeze and I commend their customer service for being readily available to answer any questions.

Cons:

There is a large learning curve for this software. Many of their written tutorials on their website don't fully answer the questions I needed answered.

Romaric
Romaric
Web Designer in Cameroon
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

ActiveCampaign

Comments: ActiveCampaign helps us to run social media ads in all tranquility. We collect leads, organize contacts and send out quality marketing emails without hassles. I recommend it

Pros:

ActiveCampaign is ourall-in-one marketing choice. It's responsive for 95% overall convertion rates our marketing team drive. he simplicity & effectiveness of this tool makes it our number one recommendation.we design sign up forms, landing pages and email templates using its high tech solutions. Pricing plans are affordable and we feel comfortable with the way they are.We flexibly auomate & send out bulk daily emails, collect leads, migrate contacts and manage them from one place without stress .Integration with favorite apps makes the entire work experience more flexible & favorable for our team collaboration.

Cons:

ActiveCampaign works just also considering the fact that new features are regularly added to the tool. I think this company is heading toward s the right tech direction

Tarunika
Technology Consultant in India
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Streamlined Email Marketing for Growth

Comments: As an sales enthusiast, ActiveCampaign has been a game-changer for me. Its powerful automation features have helped me streamline my campaigns, save time, and increase conversions. However, the user interface can be a bit overwhelming for beginners, requiring some time to navigate and master. Overall, ActiveCampaign is an indispensable tool for anyone seeking to optimize their e-mail marketing efforts.

Pros:

My go-to email marketing tool because of its remarkable automation capabilities. I love how easily I can set up and customize funnels to optimize lead conversion. The segmentation options and intuitive UX make campaign management a breeze. The speedy database uploads and comprehensive reporting keep me informed in real-time. A/B testing and helpful webinars have been game-changers. It's a powerful, user-friendly solution that delivers outstanding results.

Cons:

For me it took some time to grasp the distinction between "lists" and "contacts" for segmentation. While basic integrations work well, exploring its full potential requires additional investment. The email editor feels outdated, unlike the comprehensive tool it accompanies. Integration with CRMs needs improvement, especially in accurately tracking scoring processes. Enhanced triggers and a more complete template editor would be beneficial.

Noel
CEO in Switzerland
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

ActiveCampaing is the best tool for marketing an customer management!

Comments: From the moment I began using ActiveCampaign, it transformed the way I approach email marketing. The platform offers an amalgamation of depth and simplicity. While the features are advanced, they are laid out in a manner that’s easy to grasp. The support team deserves special mention. They've been consistently responsive and helpful, guiding me through any challenges. Whether it's managing contacts, setting up automations, or diving deep into analytics, ActiveCampaign has provided a reliable and efficient experience.

Pros:

ActiveCampaign truly stands out in its user-friendly interface and powerful automation capabilities. The platform offers an extensive set of tools that make email marketing, segmentation, and automation a breeze. The built-in CRM is a game-changer, seamlessly integrating all my contact details and interaction histories. It also provides insightful tracking features, ensuring I understand my audience's behavior and can tailor my campaigns accordingly. Moreover, the level of customization available for emails, combined with the intuitive visual automation builder, has helped in crafting high-performing campaigns.

Cons:

Honestly, there's not much to criticize given its overall performance. However, for newcomers to email marketing or those used to more basic platforms, there might be a bit of a learning curve initially. The vast array of features, while advantageous, can be a little overwhelming.

Tim
President in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Fragile System Resulted in Lost Revenue

Comments: We were reasonably satisfied with Active Campaign for the first two years. The system is very slow and affects the user experience, but the automations were nice. However, for a system to break so easily for making such a small change which led to significant lost revenue, caused us to change our opinion of AC. Even when asking Customer Support for help, they simply told us everything was working as expected. No credits, no help, little to no sympathy. We used their system to generate revenue, not lose it.

Pros:

I liked having the CRM and email marketing automations all within one solution. This made it easier to track leads as well as provide multiple follow-up emails with interested contacts.

Cons:

The fragility of the online forms led to a broken automation that was hidden from us for 6 months and cost us $10,000's in lost revenue. We utilized AC's online web form to collect contact information (highest quality leads), but when we made a small wording change to one of the form options, this broke the automation entired and we ceased getting any leads from this channel. When we contacted Customer Support, they told us it was working as expected, yet there was no warning from the system indicating that we were at risk of breaking an automation, nor did their user guide provide any such information either.

Gabby
Business Owner in US
Writing & Editing, 2–10 Employees

Satisfied with Active Campaign

Comments: I've used several different email marketing software providers but when I switched to Active Campaign, I was finally satisfied with one. It was easy for me to get started using it and that was a big factor for me. I like how the automations are similar to advanced email software and are easy to use. All the commands that I need are in the automations so I don't have to do a work-around. Customer service has been helpful each time I contact them. When needed, they send me the exact link to the documentation I need, or answer my question. Overall, I enjoy using Active Campaign and find it easy to use. The pricing is fair and I believe I get more value compared to other companies with similar pricing.

Pros:

More features than other software at similar pricing Pricing is fair Easy to use Easy to set up Fast start to using the software Good documentation Good customer service that points to documents when needed

Cons:

I don't know all of the features or how they could help my business - more explaining how things work would be helpful so I can decide if I want to implement it or not

Zakaria
Zakaria
Digital Marketing in South Africa
Automotive, 51–200 Employees

Affordable option to get into marketing automation

Comments: Overall, they have a leg up over other email marketing apps with their class-leading automation system.
Newbies will probably complain about the template composing feature. It's nowhere near as easy as Mailchimp or Aweber.
But I have a designer compose my newsletters in Stripo, which is inexpensive. And they have a one-click export into Activecampaign. This works for me. I average 28% open rates on newsletter blasts. I'm happy with that kinda performance.

Pros:

Activecampaign is more than just an email marketing app... done right it can free you from manually keeping track of leads and contacts interacting with your business. We use it to nurture all new leads coming in through our website. I recently implemented lead scoring of my contacts, which will hopefully allow me to filter those leads ready for sales. Another great feature is the site tracking. I've set an alert to notify me when a contact is on our site. I've yet to take advantage of this, but my plan is to automate an email to the relevant sales consultant, telling them their lead is on a high-intent page, so we can reach out at just the right time. There is more under the hood, I know. For larger setups one could use it as a full CRM, bringing your sales team on board with incredible amount of data about your contacts.

Cons:

It can be overwhelming. They have pre-built recipes for most functions, which is a great start. But still, you'll have to play with the automations and see which work for you. Otherwise, it's like driving a Ferrari and not going faster than 120 kmh.

Biswajit
software development in India
Computer Software, Self Employed

Review of ActiveCampaign

Comments: Overall, ActiveCampaign offers a wide range of features and benefits that can help businesses streamline their marketing and sales processes and improve their customer engagement and retention.Overall, while ActiveCampaign offers many benefits and is a powerful tool for businesses looking to improve their email marketing and automation efforts, it may not be the best fit for every business depending on their specific needs and budget.

Pros:

ActiveCampaign is a powerful and comprehensive email marketing and automation software that offers a wide range of features and benefits for businesses of all sizes. Here are some of the key pros of using ActiveCampaign software:Email marketing: ActiveCampaign allows businesses to create and send targeted email campaigns, newsletters, and automated emails to their subscribers.Marketing automation: With ActiveCampaign, businesses can create complex marketing automation workflows that automatically trigger personalized messages and actions based on subscriber behavior and preferences.CRM integration: ActiveCampaign integrates with popular CRMs such as Salesforce and HubSpot, allowing businesses to manage their contacts and leads in one place.Segmentation and personalization: ActiveCampaign allows businesses to segment their subscribers based on various criteria such as behavior, location, and interests, and then send personalized messages to each segment.Lead scoring and management: ActiveCampaign provides lead scoring and management tools that help businesses identify and prioritize their most valuable leads.E-commerce integration: ActiveCampaign integrates with popular e-commerce platforms such as Shopify and WooCommerce, allowing businesses to track and analyze their sales data and customer behavior.Reporting and analytics: ActiveCampaign provides in-depth reporting and analytics tools that help businesses track the performance of their campaigns and workflows

Cons:

Sure, here are some cons of ActiveCampaign software:Learning curve: While ActiveCampaign's user interface is generally user-friendly, some of its more advanced features may take some time and effort to master.Price: ActiveCampaign can be more expensive than some of its competitors, particularly for businesses with large email lists.Limited email templates: While ActiveCampaign offers a variety of email templates, the selection is not as extensive as some other email marketing software.Limited landing page options: ActiveCampaign's landing page builder is somewhat limited compared to some of its competitors, which may be a drawback for businesses that rely heavily on landing pages for lead generation.Limited social media integration: ActiveCampaign's social media integration is limited to Facebook Lead Ads, which may be a drawback for businesses that rely heavily on other social media platforms for lead generation.Limited support options: While ActiveCampaign offers email and live chat support, phone support is only available to customers on higher-priced plans.API limitations: ActiveCampaign's API has some limitations, particularly around the number of calls that can be made per day, which may be a drawback for businesses with complex automation needs.