• Overall
    4.4 /5
    4.3 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.3 /5

About Smartsheet

Smartsheet is an online work execution platform empowering organizations of all sizes to plan, manage, automate, and report on work.

Learn more about Smartsheet

Showing 1,678 reviews

Ben H.
Consultant
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021-05-27

"Fantastic Tool for Project & Task Management"

Comments: Smartsheet has been a very useful tool across the board for consulting and project management work

Pros: Intuitive and fit for use given the industry and specific use cases

Cons: A bit difficult to collaborate directly in the system - i.e. mentions and comments

• Reviewed on 2021-05-27
Ryan W.
Associate Client Manager
Market Research Software, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021-06-03

"Smartsheet - Intuitive and Simple - perhaps too simple?"

Comments: I think Smartsheet is great. I would recommend it to others. I think the only thing I'm missing is whether or not this could ever replace a collaborative spreadsheet product if such is already licensed as part of a package with either Microsoft or Google.

Pros: It was straightforward, intuitive, and easy to use. Some similar use case software I've used in the past has had an unnecessary amount of features that bog down usability. This one gave me everything I needed without overloading me in ways that decreased the primary intent of the product, which is to increase efficiency.

Cons: The product is likely to be made superfluous by other broader company investments, such as in Office suite, or even using Google Sheets for the same purpose. I did not see a clear unique value proposition.

• Reviewed on 2021-06-03
Ronald D.
Engineer
Design, 2-10 Employees

"Engineering Manager"

Comments: Helps me keep track of all my projects at the same time.

Pros: I like the gantt chart and excel in the same document.

Cons: The multi-user environment isn't great.

Alasdair D.
CFO
Medical Devices, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-12-29

"Excel on speed"

Comments: I have a running joke with my colleagues that goes along the lines of "have I told you how much I love smartsheet?" This is generally when I have discovered a new wow feature - e.g. the ability to lock in column formulae. They smile and say "yes you have mentioned it"

Pros: It's core infrastructure is very easy to understand. As an accountant I saw a spreadsheet like thing and shouted hurrah I get this. Then I realised that was just a beginning but a beginning that was good because it hooked me. Then I started to get that there are forms and the spreadsheets are really databases in disguise from which you can easily produce reports with no programming skills needed (other than those I knew anyway). Then there are dashboards that you can configure to your own requirements. I particularly love that you can change information on the reports and it changes on the underlying spreadsheets (databases). For one business I worked for I changed what had been a daily and weekend nightmare for the owner into an automated process that took half an hour. Literally life changing for him.

Cons: It's strength is it's weakness. Like a spreadsheet it can be too flexible which can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Other software has guardrails, this doesn't. If you take care it's fine but you can find yourself changing something and it having knock on effects. It's not that the underlying data is compromised by this but the reporting can be. For example if you change the name of a database column the reports won't be able to find it again which means that on the reports and dashboards you find a blank where there should be data. So take care, but if you do, it's magic!

• Reviewed on 2020-12-29
Nick B.
QA Coordinator
Consumer Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-12-05

"Quick Spreadsheets that allow for collaboration"

Comments: I solve the problem of tracking how my employees profit on many small profit/small margin projects. This allows me to see who is struggling the most and who is not. My team specifically focuses on education, hospitals, and non-profits. So maintaining margins to not lose any money is important. I wrote up a story about it here: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/example-advanced-smartsheet-reporting-interconnectivity I've pulled off absolutely amazing things. I'm willing to go into detail and share more of what we were able to accomplish. Many of Smartsheet's examples do not solve business problems, but they do help us learn how to solve our own!

Pros: I absolutely love how quick and easy it is to use Smartsheet. The formulas have great documentation and it helps tremendously when trying to learn and accomplish new tasks. You can pull off amazing things if you sit down and build it. I was able to build a completely automated revenue and labor estimator that shows me how profitable each member of my team is. Many of the applications we built, the community was clueless how to build it. We were able to accomplish some very unique dashboards & spreadsheets that make our lives easier. I can now make business decisions on a whim, without having to spend hours of research about the effect of one decision on our numbers.

Cons: I dislike how many features such as the dynamic view or the workspace deployment feature is locked behind an expensive addon. And when inquiring about customer service we were told it "isn't" a fit for us. But yet, Smartsheet cannot give us a demo to experiment or test them out? Smartsheet is nickle and diming things a lot. Smartsheet is >not< small business friendly. It is really a shame because these tools are absolutely 100% amazing. It also surprises me how little the community interactions are. There are many great suggestions for features that are standard in Excel and Google Sheets, that Smartsheet blandly ignored for years, and sometimes says "coming soon" and years later we still don't have it.

Ryan C.
Director of Business Operations
Telecommunications, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-10-08

"Smartsheet is a great Project Scheduling tool, and so much more"

Comments: I love Smartsheet! It has become an indispensable tool in organizing and visualizing the work we do everyday!

Pros: Smartsheet is much easier to use for Project Managemen than the classic Microsoft Project software I was originally trained on. It allows people to manage work with the intelligence of a project scheduling tool, but with an easy to understand and use spreadsheet interface. Since Smartsheet is a cloud product, each Smartsheet is available from any computer by just logging into the website, or even from their mobile app. Another great Project Management benefits is that the Project Manager can share a Smartsheet with their whole team to collaborate together. We also use the Smartsheet for Jira Connector which allows us to sync information back and forth between the two systems. Jira can be complicated to navigate, and the dashboarding can be really frustrating. This connector allows us to keep track of individual tickets associated with a project, and even lets us import massive data sets for analysis. Finally, we have ended up using Smartsheet as a dashboarding tool. It's actually surprisingly good as a Business Intelligence visualization tool for keeping track of our projects, and for displaying Jira dashboarding.

Cons: Like any software there are small quirks I'd like to see changed, or hotkeys added, but overall I'm impressed with the constant cadence of feature updates and enhancements.

Brian P.
Human Resources Generalist
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-10-08

"Smartsheet for Data Management"

Comments: I daily maintain six Smartsheets, and will probably integrate more. This has helped with tracking my progress in processes, and eliminated the need for reporting up, as my superiors can view my progress in real time. I found learning the software to be fairly easy, and recognized many opportunities presented by Smartsheet for further education.

Pros: I use Smartsheet daily to track personnel processes, such as recruitment efforts, termination procedures, and the completion of development reviews. I have used other software before, but Smartsheet affords me with the opportunity to freely share the data with other coworkers and management easily and immediately. I also really appreciate the automatic save feature, and the prompt to update with other's changes. I tend to stay in my Smartsheets all day long so this is particularly helpful for updates. I like the ability to attach documents.

Cons: I found the Filter feature to be a bit clunky; That design needs some work. I'd like to be able to change fonts within fields, such as making individual words bold. Manipulating rows within the sheets could be streamlined. It's challenging when you want to move a series of rows to another location on the same sheet. It becomes a two-step process: Creating the space for the rows in the new location, and then cutting or copying and inserting them in the new space.

Andrew K.
Program Manager
Hospital & Health Care
  • Reviewed on 2016-09-22

"Smartsheet has the perfect balance between usability and feature set"

Pros: Not as complicated and cumbersome as MS Project, which tries too hard to apply complicated logic to your project plans. Smartsheet simply gives you the ability to create plans of any level of complexity. Conditional formatting allows easy review of start/finish dates and who is assigned what. Collaboration is easy and effective as you can share with different levels of permission, and export only those elements you want others to see and work with. Having the product in the cloud makes access simple and reliable. Only once in 3 years have I not been able to access my project plan immediately, and even then it was up within 5 minutes. Easy to learn and train others on, so you can bring collaborators in quickly. Easy to edit as it uses all the intuitive elements of cut/paste and drag/drop. Vendor has been helpful when needed, but mostly in the background which is what I want. I just need functioning software and a place to go for help, not endless tips and promotions.

Cons: Creating a backup is a challenge. It's not intuitive and involves way too many menus and steps. There should be a simple way to create a backup offline for audit or versioning purposes. There needs to be an auto-save feature. I've had new collaborators lose their work because they forgot to manually save. For a product that operates with the ease of Google Docs in the cloud, the expectation is that there is an auto save feature. The 10-minute reminder message is not sufficient.

• Reviewed on 2016-09-22
Loann M.
Broadcast Coordinator
Nonprofit Organization Management, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-10-29

"Smartsheet: TimeSaver & Sharing of Information"

Comments: Overall, I am still an avid fan and plan to continue to use SS. However, I am saddened that there are now so many features that require an additional fee to make use of them.

Pros: I love that updating a cell(s) in one area updates it across the board - no need to re-enter the same data multiple places.
Ease of sharing by either sharing the sheet/report or by using the scheduled sending of the sheet/report to people on a recurring or one-time basis.

Cons: Though I'm still a huge proponent, I have seen a decline in the responsiveness to users on the Community platform, as well as helpful ideas that would be of great benefit to the end user. With growth comes pain, and us users are feeling it.
I wish some of the previous ability non-licensed users had were still in effect.

• Reviewed on 2019-10-29
Kurt R.
Packaging & Containers, 11-50 Employees

"Box+Foam, Packaging Manufacturing..."

Comments: Almost no learning curves -- a great way to store and share information. We added several tools to our kit including quality control, dashboards for our customers, tracking mechanisms for preventive maintenance, and even customer facing forms for input. We really haven't begun to scratch the surface.

Pros: The most immediate impact of our SmartSheet deployment was when our phone stopped ringing. This was a good thing. Our first sheet was as a project management tool to track our packaging projects for our customers. Since our customers could see the progress of our projects they didn't have to call for constant updates and requests for drawings or schedules. Packaging touches engineering, marketing, purchasing, production, and shipping so a lot of people need to see what is happening on a daily basis. SmartSheet provided that custom tool that we needed to be a better vendor.

Cons: For us, there wasn't any dislikes. We are a small company and this was a vast improvement over what we had been doing. This was a true paradigm shift for us. It changed how we did business.

Michael A.
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-01-30

"Good basic producr"

Comments: It was going pretty well and we were designing new cooperative ways of working with our students and customers, then Smartsheet changed the permissions for free users which made a whole bunch of new work for us in redesigning our systems. This alone would make us receptive to a different provider when we next review things - bad move smartsheet

Pros: Basic functionality and capabilities, pretty easy to get to grips with.
Selected this software over others at the time because of it's ability to report upwards - i.e. dashboards & reports which at the time seemed overlooked by many similar PM packages.
Great for sharing plans and co-working with a team.

Cons: Not sure it's PM capabilities have advanced much in the two + years I've been using it.
e.g. baseline capabilities, ability to incorporated lags/leads or fixed milestones into scheduling .
It doesn't look 'funky'.
The update emails tend to look 'spammy' and people sometimes ignore them.

• Reviewed on 2020-01-30
Miguel G.
Graphic Design Software, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-11-19

"A Smart Way To Manage Your Projects"

Comments: While many businesses continue to move in the direction of a clean and more streamlined user interface, Smartsheet continues to expand the capabilities of its products through its grid interface of a spreadsheet-like appearance. Despite popular belief, this format is still very effective and highly used in places where metrics are essential and number crunching is calling all the shots. With enhanced filters and views, one will be surprised at how powerful Smartsheet really is. I would personally recommend trying this, even for a trial, and get the feel for what Smartsheet can actually do.

Pros: Smartsheet brings the familiarity of using a spreadsheet and transform the way you manage your projects through their grids. Smartsheet is a complete suite of tools that allows your business, big or small, to manage and deliver on your products efficiently. Its list of features is quite extensive: Dashboards provide full visibility of the project and its status. With key metrics represented for the entire project, you can visually see the progress your teams are making with each project. This allows for quick response and adjustments where needed without having to dive too deep into the details. You can display your projects in one of various ways, each with their own unique set of advantages: from a Gantt chart view, to a cards (Kanban) view, to a calendar view. Provide portals for team collaboration and generate forms to capture the information you seek. Add to that attachment capabilities, notifications, alerts and reminders, plus reporting and so much more... and you have a well rounded complete suite of applications that helps you manage your projects and your business more effectively.

Cons: Smartsheet has no inherent cons. And the only thing I may consider as such would be that of bringing a spreadsheet-like format of its grid into use when trends are deviating from this format slowly. Other than that, Smartsheet does offer what its name implies... "smart" use of its various components to effectively manage a business.

• Reviewed on 2018-11-19
Kevin K.
COO

"Smartsheet for Dummies"

Comments: We are using it as a sales tracking and CRM tool, as well as for various projects. We also use it as a repository for key business information such as client contracts, supplier contracts and important passwords. We also set up a leave booking system on it whilst we were getting our payroll version sorted out. Overall, the product has met our expectations and the company itself has been good to deal with when needed.

Pros: The software is very intuitive to use. If you have good Excel skills you can get the basics up and going very quickly. From there, there you can easily start adding on to the complexity and there are plenty FAQ and forum guidance to help you solve specific problems.

Cons: Sometimes creating formulas can be a bit tedious and time-consuming especially when trying to create formulas between sheets. Copying formulas that have sheet links is also pretty cumbersome. Whilst there are plenty of templates to use as a base for building ones own tool, a wizard tool of sorts would be a great addition. So, for example, when creating a CRM -type system, having a wizard to help you establish the initial effort would be great.

Greg B.
Analyst
Philanthropy, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-07-23

"Smartsheet is a TIME SAVER!!!!"

Pros: As an analyst, I contrinute to many different projects on a daily basis and establishing a Smartsheet file to track our progress is a huge benefit. We are able to schedule half as many meetings for updates because the group's status (or lack of) is always available for review. Also, we use the upload function to store many documents in the workbook. Hugely valuable.

Cons: It functions perfectly but the program itself resembles Excel (which we also work with). Perhaps a more elegant and weelcoming display?

• Reviewed on 2019-07-23
Jeremy P.
Sr. Project Controls Manager
Architecture & Planning, 10,000+ Employees

"Best Software"

Pros: It's hard to qualify how useful this software is. The good things: the price (very inexpensive), the utility (schedules, task lists, work flow, process support, etc), the support (I work regularly with various team members who make sure I'm successful with the product), and ease of use (people catch on very quickly, and the utility is apparent, so "selling" the product to internal stakeholders isn't even necessary because they're ready to adopt it after one demo).

Cons: There is nothing I like "least". This is the most valuable software on the market to me, my team, and my career.

Ashley M.
Management Consulting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-10-19

"Smartsheet is a PM's dream tool"

Pros: Where do I start? I used to rely on MS Project to manage my projects, but I hated it. MS Project is designed as a one-size-fits all program for all projects. The only problem is it is a poor design to solve that problem. MS Project is way too complex and difficult to use. It is feature rich, sure, but you need to read a manual to learn how to leverage all of the features. Smartsheet solves all those problems, for me anyway. It is simple to use. If you know how to use Excel, you can learn Smartsheet's and become fluent in navigating its interface and product in 1 week of regular use. I rely on Smartsheet everyday to help me manage complex projects, budgets, and timelines. I do not know what I would do without having access to the tool anymore. It is my #1 needed tool on the job period.

Cons: The only thing I dislike about the tool is that it is associated with hard work! That being said it solves many of my challenges, and is a fantastic product that enables me to manage complex projects with ease. There is nothing that I truly dislike about SS.

• Reviewed on 2018-10-19
James D.
Human Resources Manager
Construction, 5,001-10,000 Employees

"An evolution of Excel"

Comments: Smartsheet might be a valuable thingamabob to use for groups of people who got the opportunity to share data day by day. it's anything but difficult to utilize and educate. a reasonable sheet's capacity to store data in a sorted out manner is significant. the ability to shading code cells relying on if a crate is checked or not has been useful. Smartsheet is a wise decision when it includes overseeing information and introducing them in simple to know designs.

Pros: What I incline toward most about the shrewd sheet is that the straightforward use, coordinated effort, and adjustable instruments. it's additionally incredible for including dollar sums identified with various activities all on one communitarian sheet. Smartsheet is direct to share graphs, structures, and so on with others in our undertaking. I especially appreciate the ability to include remarks and connections inside a matrix graph design for direct respect to outside records.

Cons: I don't generally have a terrible word to make reference to about Smartsheet. On the off chance that you perceive the best approach to run it, it's an extremely helpful thingamabob. There are sure highlights that Excel has that I so needed to be prepared to use in Smartsheet.

Jon A.
director
Construction, 2-10 Employees

"Business Integration"

Comments: Overall it is fair to say that I would be utterly lost without Smartsheet. Recently we have attempted to use Teams / Sharepoint more but found that Smartsheet has a much better workflow. What we have built with Smartsheet is a relational database that in lots of ways mirrors MS Access (R.I.P) but with far greater functionality. I would recommend Smartsheet to anyone that uses databases to empower and enable their business

Pros: Collaborative; User friendly; Relatively inexpensive; Good Dashboard (once you understand it)

Cons: Gant timeline is limited; Alerts are too discreet; Workspaces can become very messy very quickly and need regular auditing as a result

Daryl H.
Director of Project Management

"Excellent software"

Comments: Smartsheet is the reason I have the job I have right now and I wouldn’t be able to manage projects as well without it.

Pros: Smartsheet does pretty much everything I need in order to manage complex projects, provide reporting to multiple levels of stakeholders, and tie together various team efforts.

Cons: There are some features that should be standard for paid users that aren’t, but it’s not insurmountable.

Brianna T.
HR
Human Resources, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-09-24

"Love smartsheet"

Comments: This tool is way easier than excel. The sharing is the best feature.

Pros: This tool is so much better than excel. Excel is such a headache and not knowing the formulas makes everything harder. You barely need any instruction for this tool but I love the templates.

Cons: I wish it had more varied templates and wish there was more instruction for some of the uses besides having to watch a video but thats me being lazy I think. I wish it wasn't so pricy for the other levels.

• Reviewed on 2019-09-24
Development Engineer
  • Reviewed on 2018-01-11

"Use it daily. Good collaboration and general usability."

Comments: Good stuff, if not better than I think it is. I like that I can give anything to anyone and control how much input they can have with it.

Pros: I do enjoy that I can share files out with anyone. I like that they can edit and I can see them immediately. The workspace is clean and it is far more powerful than I need it for. I'm sure I could get tricky with it and make it do flips and jumps, but I have heretofore not needed to make it do that.

Cons: I'll be honest in that this is nitpicking. The scroll-wheel on my mouse doesn't like the scroll down a smartsheet. It is by far and away the worst thing about this program I've found. It's so infuriating when I have a few hundred rows and I can't accurately scroll to a needed place. The side bar works well, but everything in the world allows a scroll now. Please laugh at this and then do it... you'll understand what I'm saying. Aside from that, this is less of a Con than maybe a pro but I feel like there's a bit of overkill under the hood here. I could easily be wrong in my limited scope so I hate to even list this as a Con, except that you're paying for it. I feel like if you use the full breadth, you win but it's just not super-needed or warranted if you're expecting a bunch of collaboration with people who don't want to be bothered.

• Reviewed on 2018-01-11
Allison S.
Materials & Operations
Logistics & Supply Chain, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-10-08

"Company Operating System Galore!"

Comments: Fantastic, I have been using Smartsheet for a little over 4 years. The first 2 years being in construction and the last 2 have been designing and implementing it as a company wide operating system for production, mockups, sales tracking, shipping, new hire on boarding, PTO and more!

Pros: How customizable it is. We have morphed it to do everything our company needs and MORE!

Cons: I wish the dashboards could be more interactive.

Chris S.
Foreman
Construction, 51-200 Employees

"Awesome Visualizations"

Comments: It has been a great experience sharing and expanding the possibilities using it with different coworkers.

Pros: I love the use of forms, ghantt charts, and automations.

Cons: I would love to see the implementation of utilizing newly submitted forms to drop into a selected parent row.

Case Manager
Individual & Family Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-07-15

"Smartsheet is the ultimate data collection tool that is user friendly."

Pros: I love that SmartSheet allows for multiple tabs to organize data. You can also choose who has access to certain tabs. I also find the feature of attaching documents, images and notes EXTREMELY useful in the work that I do. We compile lots of information/documents on person's files that we work with, and we can include all of the information in 1 place, and anyone can add notes and information to the person's file. This is extremely useful for documentation among many people who are interacting with a customer we have. It is also easy to access and use from the iPhone app, which allows me to be more efficient as I am often on-the-go with clients and do not have my computer out.

Cons: For the business that I do, I can't think of a better priced program or more user-friendly program. It serves all of our needs, and is very user-friendly and safe for storing confidential information...no cons that I can think of except sometimes when you change tabs, it will not save information you put into the tab you switched from.

• Reviewed on 2018-07-15
Braun R.
Service Manager
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-12-17

"Living in Smartsheet"

Comments: My experience with Smart sheet has been exceptional other than a few minor hiccups. So much so, we are in the progress of cleansing ourselves of all other software's and subscriptions and working solely out of Smartsheets. As a construction company, we hear it time and again how nice it would be to work in one software. We are so close to being only in Smartsheet.

Pros: The one thing that brought us the most value was the ease of sharing information across users, non-users and everybody! It has been amazing that we can invite non smartsheets users to collaborate with us in our own working system.

Cons: The thing that has complicated our process of smartsheets implementation is the poor cross sheet relations and functionality. It isn't very clean to to go in and copy data from another sheet in real time or to have one cell reference options from an entire column in another sheet.

• Reviewed on 2019-12-17