Filter by:

• Overall

About StarChapter

Association Management Software for board volunteers who want to save time and money!

Learn more about StarChapter

Patrick m. A.
Patrick m. A.
Real Estate, Self Employed

Service, Price and Functionality

5 5 months ago

Pros:

I've used StarChapter for more than 10 years. The platform is very user-friendly and customer service is top notch. The knowledge base is thorough and easy to navigate.

Cons:

When membership dues are variable based on size, the platform isn't intuitive. Flat dues work great!

Alternatives Considered: YourMembership

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter: We switched because we needed an actual member directory and event registration.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter: We never received a response from the other provider.

4 months ago

Wow thank you for being a long time StarChapter user and for taking the time to share your experience, we really appreciate your feedback.

Laura T.
Assistant Secretary in U.S.
Civic & Social Organization, 501-1,000 Employees

StarChapter is serving us very well!

5 2 years ago

Comments: Moving to StarChapter has benefited us in many ways. Our association member management was based on spreadsheets so this is so much better. Our prior website was significantly outdated, so again, moving to StarChapter was a great improvement. We did lose functionality in that our prior financial system was Method (had limited member management) and did interface to Quickbooks. However, StarChapter's ability for on-line dues management resulted in a significant dollar collection in our first couple months of being live which was a very pleasant result. We are very glad to have made the transition to StarChapter.

Pros:

Software has a great website component - catalog of website pages format and views, flexible build, sleek modern look and great background site security. The website provides a "wow" factor. The Association management portion of the software has many tools for membership management, event management, dues management and email communications functions. All are very helpful. There are a number of on-line resources serving as a knowledge base and their support is wonderful. Most questions are answered within 24 hours. Members also really like the ability to pay dues or make donations or purchases on-line.

Cons:

As a heritage culture society we had a few membership/group use case issues that the software couldn't really address and there wasn't much guidance on possible workarounds. We needed a few more project hours on our implementation phase (we were turned over to support before we went live). There needs to be a user manual document to further define screen fields as there is great flexibility in the system. While the videos are helpful, they don't provide enough detail for taking the system to beyond a basic level. The other key limitation is the lack of interfacing to financial systems like QuickBooks. While we really like the ability for members to pay dues or buy from store via credit-card, there is double entry for bookkeeping due to lack of interface.

Tracey H.
Communications Co-Director, Website Chair in U.S.

Choose StarChapter for a Streamlined, Easy-to-Use, Time-Saving Association Management Software

5 2 years ago

Comments: Before StarChapter, we had a website that we built and maintained ourselves. It was outdated and hard to administer. We used an email campaign software, an invoicing software, paid hosting fees, used a security software, and tracked attendees at our events in a spreadsheet — it was a bulky way of operating. Our organization looks so professional now! We were able to consolidate all our other systems into one which is such a time saver! I'm not sure we're saving any money, but the time, ease of use and professional image is worth it. I highly recommend that anyone in an association consider StarChapter. I couldn't be happier with a management software.

Pros:

StarChapter has streamlined our volunteer organization's processes and saved each of us time — which is important as volunteers! It's eliminated the use of an email campaign system and invoicing system. It has streamlined our communication with the newsletter feature, and contacting members and non-members with the email templates makes our roles simpler. I love that each of our board members are learning how to maintain their own pages through StarChapter's Knowledgebase. Everything you need to know is in there and it's presented in a style that's easy to read, follow and understand. I've had to request support for a couple items that were more complex than what I could handle, and their support team has responded within a day or two to resolve the challenge.

Cons:

I've been using the software for about eight months. I think I still have so much to learn — it's a very robust software — yet they do make it easy to use. I just wish I could dedicate more time to really diving in to understand the connections between the modules and how to maximize the software.

Francesca R.
VP of Operations in U.S.
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees

My Review

4 2 years ago

Comments: As noted in my previous comments, overall there is a great value to the software but I am worried that myself and my clients will need to start looking to other products to service our need if some feature enhancements don't start being created. It seems like the product is stagnant.

Pros:

I like the ease of use and connectedness of all of the software segments. The product also gives a lot of functions for the price which makes it an easy sell to our clients from a value standpoint.

Cons:

Some items are clunky and not as nimble as they could be. I also feel like starchapter has stopped developing enhancements or improvements outside of the website templates that they sell for a fee. I would like to see more robust reporting or the ability to build ad hoc reports, enhanced functionality on the events with regards to promo codes/discounts, adjusting registrant information/substitutions, and more robust functionality with the eblasting system.

2 years ago

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. We are sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulty with the reports and some of the functionality. If you could please enter a support ticket, our team will get in touch with you to get more information.

Lillian C.
Employee & Labor Relations Specialist in U.S.
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Best Update for Our Chapter

5 2 years ago

Comments: My experience was great! From the first call that got my questions answered, getting everything set up, knowledgebase, and getting help when I can't find answers to my questions - it's been a very smooth process. I'm very happy with our selection and don't see us switching away from this platform.

Pros:

Being able to have a Member Manager page, easier set up for events, invoicing system, and communication platform. These were all pieces missing previously. StarChapter has helped to make almost everything easier.

Cons:

It can be difficult to update certain things. For example: getting the correct address to appear on invoices (or get it on invoices at all). It needs to be updated in three different places. It would be nice it you could change it in one spot (in settings for example) and have it feed to the others. Also, there seems to be a disconnect on the member login side. When a primary contact renews membership, it doesn't renew anyone else with them. Not sure how to fix that, but it hasn't been a major issue that needs to be addressed yet. Just a convenience thing.

2 years ago

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. Please enter a support ticket, and our team will get in touch with you to provide any necessary help.

Raeann T.
Nonprofit Organization Management, Self Employed

Star Chapter is the best ASM system!

5 2 years ago

Comments: Great public website that allows online meeting registration.

Pros:

Love the ease of ease and the professional facing website and features. Star Chapter customer service is wonderful to work with.

Cons:

I honestly do not have any. Wonderful software for the price. Has paid for itself in removing the tedious administrative tasks as well as the human error mistakes.

Alternatives Considered: Wild Apricot

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter: Better looking website and the customer service!

John W.
John W.

StarChapter- A Website For Organizations

5 6 years ago

Comments: We have used StarChapter for our organization (ASHRAE) since 2012 and for our organization (AEE) for 4 months. ASHRAE has 1900 members and AEE has 250 members. To summarize, this is a fantastic Website for any any size organization. When you are a new customer you have a bunch of templates to pick from and Customer Support (CS) gives you personal attention to get your site set-up. There is also a package to fit just about anyone's budget. Setting up meetings and sending out mass emails of any type is a snap.

Pros:

1.Great Great Customer Support. Inquires are replied to promptly and accurately. 2.Most of the features you use regularly are intuitive. 3.The software has so many features that anything is possible to do. 4.Members can pay by credit card in advance for meetings. 5.Once you are set-up and using it it is very easy to maintain. 6.You can assign different tasks to your board (like someone for announcements or emails or treasury, etc.). 7.Easy to post all event pictures. 8.CS sets your site up to your specific requests. 9.There are tutorials and live webinars on everything with a Help Center to search.

Cons:

1.If you REALLY REALLY want to get into the nitty-gritty of webmastering it is not intuitive but if you are adventurous you can learn. CS will also direct you. 2.Their newsletter feature sucks. We get around that by producing our newsletter with adobe/word and posting it on our site.

Rayna S.
Administrative Assistant in U.S.
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees

Great from the Members view. Need more flexiblity from the Administrator side.

4 3 years ago

Pros:

The feature that I like the most is being able to see when someone opens an email.

Cons:

The creating and editing features for meetings and emails are not flexible. There are limited font options. The editing area is not very large. When you use the preview option to see what it will actually look like, the size is compacted. So, you are not really getting a view of what will be displayed or sent out. There is no an option to display or see some of the fields on the member record. The membership type can not be displayed in the member manager or in the member directory. You can only select/search for it in the flexible view. You have to go into the record to see what the type is since a member can have more than one type.

Lois P.
Communications Director in U.S.
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees

Great option for small non-profits

5 11 months ago

Pros:

I was not around for the implementation, but this software and its features were easy to learn upon taking over the role of administrator. It allows us to maintain a very professional internet presence for our small chapter, and it is a robust and easily customizable communication tool to reach our members and prospective members. It incorporates member services, meeting planning, member surveys, sponsor support and chapter e-commerce among other things. We don't use every capability it has, but we know it will give us the option to grow. And whenever I have any issues, the support team at StarChapter always responds quickly.

Cons:

Some of the features are not always intuitive to find/update, but the knowledge base and the support team does help make up for that.

9 months ago

Thank you for sharing your review, we really appreciate your feedback.

Ann A.
Real Estate, Self Employed

Great customer support

5 2 years ago

Pros:

The software has SO many pluses for association management. Although I've used it for 3 years, I'm still finding great ways that it can help me analyze data and improve service

Cons:

Some functions seem to require duplicate steps (member registration) and I'd like that streamlined

2 years ago

Thanks for sharing your review. We are glad to hear that StarChapter has helped with managing your association.

Luann V.
Self Employed

Work Made Simple Thanks to StarChapter

5 5 years ago

Comments: We have been with StarChapter for many years and I couldn't be more pleased. The ease of the website and database makes my work life so much easier. The website was extremely easy to implement. Our membership loves the ease of the website too. I have needed to use the StarChapter Customer Service on occasion (especially for things I don't use often) and they are very prompt and attentive. They follow up afterwards too. StarChapter cares about you as much on day one as they do five or six years down the road. They are constantly striving for excellence. I would highly recommend StarChapter!

Pros:

I love everything about StarChapter

Cons:

I have not come across any cons

Emily C.
Vice President, PMI SWOC in Canada
Nonprofit Organization Management, 501-1,000 Employees

setting up event using Star Chapter

4 5 years ago

Comments: It would be nice if you have some instruction on your screen. My team is not familiar with Star Chapter and it is challenging to support our events. Is it possible to schedule a webinar training with real person who we can ask questions?

Pros:

The campaign functionalities cover email, survey, tickets etc. One stop shopping.

Cons:

Hard to understand how to set up tickets, coupons and vouchers. Not sure how to refund the ticket.

5 years ago

Thanks for posting your review, Emily! I StarChapter customers can schedule an on-demand training with a StarChapter Specialist anytime! Please request training by either opening a support ticket through the Admin Area of your StarChapter software or emailing [email protected] When you send the email/open the support ticket, we advise you include the best way you wish to be communicated (phone/email) and your availability. Our team works 9am to 5pm EST and would be able to schedule a training after 4pm, per your request. We value your feedback!

Eric R.
Eric R.
President ACFE Heartland Chapter in U.S.
Nonprofit Organization Management, 201-500 Employees

Board of Directors Best Friend

5 3 years ago

Comments: StarChapter has simplified filing, sales and membership issues. Don't know how we did it when it was so manual before.

Pros:

I love that all the documents, such as board meeting notes, marketing material and more can be saved on StarChapter. Sometimes it's difficult to contact one of you board members, they may be out on vacation or in meetings all day. Know I can just go into StarChapter and get what I need without having to reach out to other members. It also has a great dashboard that gives me membership details along with sales details.

Cons:

It does not allow you to create and mail out CPE certificates for members. This would be an huge plus!

Tonya J.
Governing Chair in U.S.
Civic & Social Organization, 11-50 Employees

New Company, New Website

5 5 months ago

Comments: From initial contact asking for a demo to launch of the website our representative and implementer were amazing. They both answered all the questions I had. I have had to make a few edits to the site already, but they were easy to do. I would 10/10 recommend to anyone looking for a chapter management software.

Pros:

The most important feature we were looking for was control of content management. After that, it is the ease with which we can update our site. After watching a short video or reading the blog, even our most basic tech person can implement changes on the admin side of the platform.

Cons:

We were not bringing our content from another application so I cannot speak to that area; therefore, at this time as a new entity with a new website we have nothing we do not like about this software.

4 months ago

It is great to see that you would recommend us so highly! Thank you for taking to time to share your feedback, we are glad StarChapter is able to meet your chapter's needs.

Latoya L.
Independent Nurse Case Manager in U.S.
Medical Practice, 2-10 Employees

Local CMSA Chapter

4 3 years ago

Comments: The overall experience has been OK. We like the ability to pay for our events via PayPal, as well as sending one email to everyone on our email distribution list. Less hassle than before. Unfortunately, not everyone receives our emails through their work addresses.

Pros:

We mostly liked the platform and the ability to update content without many issues.

Cons:

Blockage from delivering to business email addresses. We have had so many people that have stated that they do not receive our chapter emails.

Brody H.
Account Executive in U.S.

4 2 months ago New

Comments: Great

Pros:

The easyness of the software. It is very self explanatory most of the time.

Cons:

Sometimes there are glitches in the registration or in the page content

Alternatives Considered: Cvent Event Management

2 weeks ago

Julie V.
Manager of Operations & Events in U.S.
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees

Star Chapter Review

4 2 years ago

Pros:

Customer Service. I like that the email responses give step by step

Cons:

Some things are hard to update, change and get confusing

2 years ago

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. We are sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties. If you could please enter a support ticket, our team will get in touch with you to provide any necessary help.

Eric B.
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 Employees

Excellent product even if a little non intuitive in back end

5 2 years ago

Comments: We are a 100% volunteer organization with limited resources, and StarChapter has provided us with a robust platform which took the place of 3 separate services we were using - event registration service, email software, and website management - saving us thousands of dollars annually, and decreasing our staff time by at least 50%! We could not be happier.

Pros:

It does a lot, with little effort and is flexible enough to provide robust custom solutions.

Cons:

The admin side is confusing and hard to navigate at times, but costumer support is outstanding to help me find the solution. The email system and various toon is clunky and hard to manage. It also prevents us from reaching some contacts.

Sandi C.
Treasurer in U.S.
Photography, 51-200 Employees

Great To Use

5 5 months ago

Comments: Love it

Pros:

Support is very knowledgeable and able to answer your questions - making it easy to understand.

Cons:

It is tricky at first when not knowing how to use.

4 months ago

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product.

Sarah C.
Association Administrator in Canada
Financial Services Software, Self Employed

CSTA/IETA/BIMA

5 2 years ago

Pros:

Ease of use and functionality. Real time updates.

Cons:

Would like to be able to set a time for email communications to members

2 years ago

Thank you for your feedback, we are happy to announce that email scheduling will be available soon.

Don Z.
Food & Beverages, 10,000+ Employees

Star Chapter review

5 2 years ago

Comments: Great overall experience

Pros:

Great customer service, great follow, quick replies.

Cons:

Nothing bad to say, great experience all the way around.

2 years ago

We are so grateful for your kind words. Thanks for sharing your review.

Talent Management in U.S.
Mining & Metals, 501-1,000 Employees

Excellent Management Program

5 2 months ago New

Pros:

StarChapter is user friendly for the external uses and for the admins. There are also a LOT of resources available, so if I'm not sure how to do something, I can look it up.

Cons:

Some of the features could be expanded a little. For ticketing, if we want to give an option for someone to buy a ticket for the whole series of an event, we have to manually register them for all of the events, which is frustrating and takes time.

2 weeks ago

Manufacturing Planning Staff in U.S.
Defense & Space, 10,000+ Employees

Great Customer Service - Functionality/Innovation Could Be Better

4 11 months ago

Comments: Good experience and would recommend to others looking for association management software, but would like to see more modernized and have better/expansive payment options to keep up with the times.

Pros:

Allows quick editing of website Facilitates meeting payments Customer Service is phenomenal

Cons:

Meeting/Even payment options need to be more robust (i.e. Paypal, Google Pay, Apple Pay, Venmo, etc.) Software seems clunky and not too intuitive

9 months ago

Thank you for sharing your feedback and kind words for our customer service. We are currently offering StarChapter Pay, please reach out to us and we will provide more information.

Melissa M.
Melissa M.
Operations Manager in U.S.

TBC

4 3 years ago

Comments: Its been good. The website and member management is easy to use

Pros:

easy to use, lots of features which gives businesses more options

Cons:

can't think of anything right off hand. better than others I've seen

Matt B.
Facilities Services, 201-500 Employees

Great service experience

5 5 years ago

Comments: Our chapter was having some problems with the registration of an important event and in speaking with rep was extremely helpful and we were able to get the registration operating correctly. While on the phone, Rep was able to help us with a couple other tweaks to make our website more efficient.

Pros:

Very easy to use: set-up meetings and tickets for events/programs

Cons:

Would like wait list to automatically go through the list.

5 years ago

Matt thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is much appreciated.