15 years helping Canadian businesses

About EnergyCAP

A leading energy & sustainability ERP software with comprehensive reporting and analysis for informed decision-making.

Learn more about EnergyCAP

Pros:

Robust reporting options. Most of my peers are using the same software so we can share tips and lessons learned.

Cons:

As a limited user to approve bills for payment, I haven't found any cons for the software.

EnergyCAP ratings

4.4
4.8
4.6
4.5

9.5/10

EnergyCAP has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 75 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used EnergyCAP before?

Heidi
Engineering Technician in US
Higher Education Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Colorado State University EnergyCap Review

Comments: EnergyCAP has been used at this University for more than 30 years because it is a superior product. There have been multiple instances where other applications have been reviewed, and each time, EnergyCAP comes out as a clear winner. The relationships developed with their team is also incredibly valuable.

Pros:

The University has used one iteration or another of EnergyCAP since 1990. The current platform is an elegant solution for handling both the energy and accounting functions associated with utility bills. Recommissioning our database was skillfully guided by the EnergyCAP project manager assigned to our team. Our resulting product is much more functional for all users. We now directly link EnergyCAP to Energy STAR's Portfolio Manager to submit data for City and State building performance reporting requirements. Our internal chargeback process has improved as well.

Cons:

Sometimes it is hard to know what report filters to select to present the correct data. There is so much functionality, that we often don't have the bandwidth to utilize those features as well as we could. There is a cost to every add-on - though we do understand that is typical in today's market.

Carla
Performance Assurance Engineer in US
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Energy Tracking

Pros:

EnergyCAP allows for easy to tracking of energy use and cost.

Cons:

Wish report could be more customizable.

Varick
Campus Energy Manager in US

Outdated, un-intuitive, glorified spreadsheet

Comments: For our purposes, this product is a hammer trying to find a nail; a simple spreadsheet can replace the functionality required for our purposes. The product pricing is not suitable for an institution our size. Essentially, the software has no payback for our campus. It is a constant nuisance to figure out whether the client or web is better for certain tasks. The client is beyond old and needs to be updated. The website interface is made with Flash, which is an outdated technology that most software companies have fled. The entire gui needs to be vetted by an experienced HCI team in order to make product more user friendly.

9 years ago

Varick makes some valid points. Adobe Flash/Flex was a common choice for browser-based applications five years ago, but (as he correctly points out) many software companies have moved away from it, EnergyCAP included. A release of our HTML 5 browser user interface is planned for late in 2015, and we are close to finally retiring the legacy installed client as we re-design, re-engineer and move additional features to the browser version. I would also agree that many smaller universities, colleges and community colleges find great success with lower-priced systems, such as our simpler EnergyCAP Express or Enterprise Online versions. However, UC Merced is part of the University of California system-wide EnergyCAP implementation, including the large campuses that DO require the full Enterprise functionality. We appreciate and value all client feedback, positive and negative, and take all suggestions very seriously. Steve Heinz, PE, CEM, CMVP, Founder & CEO, EnergyCAP, Inc.

Rich
Energy Specialist and Assistant Principal in US
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Cost and usage oversight.

Comments: An excellent product that allows hands on data to make schedule adjustments or identify areas of abnormal use patterns.

Pros:

It has been a tremendous asset in tracking and analyzing cost and usage. It has also provided easy access to necessary data when applying for energy grants and rebates.

Cons:

Some difficulties in getting data to show in the format needed. Mostly because of user input.

Abdallah
Energy Data Analyst in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

EnergyCap is a must

Pros:

In my opinion, the most important part of EnergyCap is capturing the data which is what all organizations need. It is needed for data requests inside the organization, very helpful for energy reporting, tracking and monitoring. They offer extensive ways to track carbon emissions and see real time values. EnergyCap is a one stop shop for all energy reporting and tracking needs and if the organization isn't currently invested in a similar tool then EnergyCap is definitely recommended. If you have more innovative ideas for dashboards, you can just export the data and do whatever you want with it.

Cons:

The default reports that EnergyCap provides are not very helpful. The best way is to have a master report built specifically for the needs at least this is what we do for our organization. Reports and Better visualizations to compare EUIs with previous periods would be good to include.

Energy Information System Analyst in US
Government Relations, 501–1,000 Employees

The World of Energy & Analysis!

Comments: Overall, I like working in EnergyCAP. [sensitive content hidden] at the Help Desk is wonderful to work with.

Pros:

The reporting and the number of reports. The Dashboard is used by all agencies. Meter & building groups/

Cons:

The chargebacks and splits are hard to understand. I tried to use the help, but it is lacking details. The reporting filters for the dashboard need to be expanded. The Help Center is good, but there seems to be missing details in some cases. Someone that is not a user should read the help. More instructions cleaning out some of the filters.

4 months ago

Gwendy, I love your review title: "The World of Energy & Analysis!" that's definitely the word in which our customers live. I'll definitely share your chargebacks feedback with our team and see if we can get some fresh eyes on the documentation. Thanks for being a wonderful customer!

Energy Data Analyst in US
Oil & Energy, 1,001–5,000 Employees

My EnergyCAP Review

Comments: I am a strong user and I train others to use the EnergyCAP. My users are running reports and are finding errors. The data in EnergyCAP is used to make financial decisions. Do your organization a favor and start using EnergyCAP. I have over 30 years in the energy business and I have used various software, and EnergyCAP is the best!

Pros:

There are many exciting features in EnergyCAP. Some of the features are the dashboards, reports, customer support and the Help Center. The dashboards are easy to create and the data tells the story. I like reports and EnergyCAP has over 100 reports. My favorite reports are the usage, costs and charts. The customer support is outstanding and the response is fast. The Help Center has videos and the information is detailed.

Cons:

I really have no cons except, I wish the terminology reflected what the utilities use. However, this is not a show stopper.

Scott
Business Manager in US
Higher Education Software, 201–500 Employees

Energy Cap for Utility Management

Comments: I have been using EnergyCap for 8 years and I know there are plenty of ways to use the system but I just don't know how. I know I need more training so if I do there are plenty of more individuals that also need training.

Pros:

Energy Cap provides a platform for tracking all our Utilities so we can see the usage for a monthly total or annual totals to be able to calculate our next year budget.

Cons:

Energy Cap isn't the easiest to understand and you become nervous because you don't want to change something that will mess up the system. I think more training would be beneficial to new and current users.

4 months ago

Scott, thank you for taking the time to provide your input. EnergyCAP can do a LOT, and yes, it can definitely be intimidating. With that being said, we are listening to our customers requests and beginning to offer "Office Hours" through our Eco Champion community. Not only can you reach EnergyCAP staff to help with your questions, but you can leverage the knowledge of EnergyCAP users as well in our various discussion channels. Thanks for being a great customer!

tommy
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Review Of EnergyCap

Comments: The program is very useful for my job. My biggest compliment has to go to [sensitive content hidden]. She has helped me TREMENDOUSLY!!! She is very understanding of my technology shortcomings and never loses her patience. She is AWESOME!!!!!!

Pros:

The capability of storing old bills and how far it can go back.

Cons:

If I try to do too much, I can be overwhelmed.

4 months ago

Tommy H, we are so happy to receive your feedback and glad you're enjoying working with Becky. Our customer engagement team members are incredible and well deserving of the shoutout. Under "Cons" you mentioned getting overwhelmed. Totally get it... There's a LOT going on. Don't get discouraged though, chin up and keep going! If there's anything that is ever stumping you... turn to one of these resources: - Eco Champions (EnergyCAP user community): https://EnergyCAP.com/Community - Our support and success teams - EnergyCAP Help Documentation: https://helpcenter.energycap.com/ for reference. Thanks for being a wonderful customer.

Val
Education Management, 5,001–10,000 Employees

EnergyCAP software

Comments: Overall, i've only had great experience with EnergyCAP. The sofware is easy to use and very intuitive. Customer service is excellent! If there are any issues or questions, those are resolved in a very timely manner

Pros:

for an Energy Manager who's main responsibility is to track/monitor energy/utility costs and consumption, this software is the perfect tool

Cons:

software has other options (bill review and approval, etc.) that are not currently utilized by our organization

Kelly
Used the Software for: Not provided

For what it does, it can't be beat.

Comments: Pros
---Because it integrates weather (hdd/cdd) and provides an expected cost calculation and then marries with your actual utility bills, it gives you the most accurate reflection of your utility efficiency. You should never rely on just comparing one utility bill to the the one a year prior and assuming you've found the actual savings.
---Allows you to import utility bills, saving hours of hand-keying in data every month. Wouldn't you rather be spending your time analyzing bills rather than entering them?
---(what seems like) Hundreds of reports will help you analyze bills, demand, average unit cost, cost leaders, savings leaders, etc. that will help you investigate problems more quickly and effectively.
---Customer service tickets tend to have a quick turnaround time.
Cons
--- (what seem like) Hundreds of reports whose names or descriptions don't always help. And the more reports that are added, the more the waters are muddied.
---Recommendations for upgrades/improvements to reports tend to come back as a very simple, "We can't do that." It's unfortunate, because at least one that I've sent in would benefit ALL users. (Print all filters at the top or bottom of EVERY page, or at least at the top or bottom of the first page, where the most helpful information is found. Most of the time, I throw the last page away...and that's where the filters are printed.)
But despite those cons, this is a great tool, and I can't imagine trying to do this job without it.

Gerald
Program Manager in US
Government Administration, 1,001–5,000 Employees

I've used this product for many years. It's a great tool for managing and analyzing utility bills.

Comments: The ability to benchmark your buildings energy usage with similar buildings in order to focus in on the best opportunities to reduce costs and save energy.

Pros:

The new version 7 makes it easier to graphically view bill data in a variety of ways through the dashboard. I especially like the mapping feature which allows you to quickly zero in on a particular building or facility

Cons:

Integration with 3rd party billing data providers is too complex and takes many hours of staff and vendor time to complete.

Oliver
Database Analyst in Canada
Used the Software for: Not provided

The software is easy to use and very flexible specially when you host your own database server.

Comments: Pros:
Bill Entry Template creation is very flexible.
Can easily upload electronic bill data using the import function.
You can create your own custom report when you host your own database server. Easy tree structure and unit system setup.
Cons:
Standard Reports needs more improvement or modification on the header information
especially when the fiscal year doesn't start on January which is actually misleading in
terms of the billing period year.
No selection on the Weather Station Temperature unit. The default unit is always in
degree Fahrenheit.
The GHG Emission Factors cannot be edited within the application. There is a limitation on assigning a Rate Code. It only limits 2 rate code changes per
account. It automatically delete the oldest rate code that were assigned to that
particular account.

Energy Management in US
Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

Powerful Tool

Pros:

The real time verification of data entry cuts down on error checking

Cons:

Some features are a little bit inflexible but this seems to be getting better with each new version

Matthew
Used the Software for: Not provided

I have been using EnergyCAP software for three years. It is an essential tool for of my job.

Comments: EnergyCAP software allows institutions, businesses, and anyone wanting to save energy a quality tool to quantify that reality. It takes the conservation work we do on the ground throughout our facilities, and highlights our success as well as areas where further opportunities exist. EnergyCAP allows me to run a wealth of reports to show others in our institution how we are doing. Benchmarking with this software can show us what has happened, whats happening, as well as what to expect. Without the data generated by EnergyCAP, we would be comparing apples to oranges and people in our institution would not be able to see how their energy conservation efforts add up.

Energy Educator/Manager in US
Used the Software for: Not provided

Have used the on-line version for two years, before that used the off-line version for eight years

Comments: Pros: I can access it anywhere, which makes it easy to get the information I need anywhere, 24-7.
Pros: As I gravitated to the new system, the customer service in resolving problems was some of the best I have had in 30+ years of dealing with computer systems!
Cons: No way of tracking solid waste and recycling. I still use the old system for that.
Cons: After eight years of pulling information out, it has been a struggle for me personally to be able to convert my thinking over to the new format. There are a lot of new reports and I have to really think about which ones can tell my story.
Thanks

Lisa
Manager, Engineering Administration in US
Used the Software for: Not provided

This software has made us a more energy conscious company

Comments: Prior to using EnergyCAP, we had to track our energy usage in Excel for all of our 200+ facilities across the country. We relied on our facility managers to fax over utility bills on a monthly basis. Not only has EnergyCAP saved us time and made us more productive in tracking our energy costs, but we have been able to identify misapplied payments, ensure that when facilities move the utilities get disconnected, identify missing bills and more importantly, we can identify our energy costs down to the use/day! This has all caused us to be a more energy conscious company.

Greg
Used the Software for: Not provided

It has been an extremely useful tool in my position as energy manager for a school district

Comments: The desktop version certainly had its limitations, but still a very useful tool. When we switched to the online pro version, I was very excited about the possibilities. To have so many reports available at any given time is very helpful. Ease of use is great. I wish there was a way to adjust for conditions pertaining to water usage as it does with gas and electric.

Kelly
Sustainability Coordinator in US
Used the Software for: Not provided

The software provides versatility and access to utility information in a useful and organized format

Comments: pros:
utility bills are organized and easily accessed
cost information over time can be used for reporting
environmental information on GHG's can be analyzed
many reports can be created
comparisons can be made
cons:
with so many reports and filter settings it's difficult to navigate through to generate what you're looking for

Senior Client Program Manager in US
Used the Software for: Not provided

We needed the best solution for any scale of organization to offer to our clients.

Comments: We looked at the market to see what was out there, and that's when we came across EnergyCAP. We found they had the best solution available and the best staff to support the product, so we developed a partnership with EnergyCAP. It's been an excellent partnership for the past 7 years.

Jeff
Energy Education Specialist in US
Used the Software for: Not provided

Great software for tracking utility data

Comments: I have enjoyed using EnergyCAP. The interface is really easy to use. I can trust that my data is secure. There are so many reports I can choose that I sometimes get lost in it. I would rather have too many choices rather than not enough.

Patrick
Used the Software for: Not provided

Easy bill imput & bill detail.

Comments: The on-line version of EnergyCAP has great reports. The inventory of reports is awesome, but finding the right report for our needs can be cumbersome. When I have requested help, your responses are quick and very helpful.

Lisa

Love using this software

Comments: Software has been easy to use. Lots of reports that can be generated but title for me are sometimes confusing. Hard to find the exact one sometime for a report. But overall great to use.

Joe
Used the Software for: Not provided

I have been Energy Manager and used Energy Cap from the time it was introduced and am very pleased.

Comments: I have had no problems with software that the support people haven' t helped me with my understanding of how it works on a very timely manner.

Brian
Energy/Safety Specialist in US
Used the Software for: Not provided

ECAP is very robust, intuitive, and easy to use.

Comments: If reporting is your thing, this software will satisfy even the most hardcore reporting fanatic!