Windward System Five Reviews

by Windward Software

• Overall
    3.8 /5
    3.7 /5
    3.7 /5

About Windward System Five

Windward System Five on Cloud is a full business management system for companies that sell, service, or rent inventory.

Learn more about Windward System Five

Scott W.
Director of Operations
  • Reviewed on 2017-10-26

"A powerful POS with unlimited flexibility, reliable stability, and great support staff."

Comments: Saved our company time and money in the ling run. Being able to customize the look, feel, and functions of the application let us implement EXACTLY what our company needed. We evaluated MANY other products before choosing Windward, and nothing comes close. It was one of the better decisions made in our organization, and is a big personal red-feather in my hat.

Pros: - Extremely customizable. Allows you to customize anything from report, to custom price-labels, to customized POS screen (even changing the size/color/look of virtually every button). If you are a little more adventurous, you can even write code that allows you make your own functions. - Easy to learn. For as advanced as this is, most people can pick up on the majority what thy need in a day. For those who want to do more, their is a complete 'Windward Academy' that you can watch videos and read comprehensive guides. - LOTS of support. If I ever have a question, there are about ten people I can call. Of-course, they have 24/7 technical support, but virtually anyone in the company is eager and willing to help. I can call my account manager, or any number of others I have talked to throughout the installation process. Even the lovely receptionist is awesome has walked me through issues on more than one occasion. - Philippines support. You might think this would be under the "Cons" section; but it isn't. The Philippines support is not outsourced like other companies, but they are actual employees working in a Windward office in Cebu. They all speak great English, are EXTREMELY knowledgeable about the product, and aim to please. No matter how frantic I am when I call, they never get upset and are always positive. And they are not going to give up until it's fixed. - You typically don't find this level of customer service in Western support groups.

Cons: - Price tag will be your biggest hurdle. And some features will cost you extra. Having to pay extra to have the software integrate with our merchant account is probably the biggest complaint I have with the company. But even this is vastly outweighed by the Pros. If you want the best, it probably isn't going to be the cheapest. - There are occasional errors that pop up and random issues. But 90% of these are self-resolving (very intuitive software). For the other 10%, support is right there to remote in and stay with you until it's resolve.

Ed W.
Partner
  • Reviewed on 2021-01-26

"Using Windward in a Small Shop"

Pros: Windward offers a comprehensive set of features, more than we will ever use. What drove us to purchase Windward is that its POS features are fully and seamlessly integrated into its accounting software. That means that both our POS and accounting data is up to date and current at all times. No integration with other software is required. Windward does it all. Another thing I like about Windward is the quality of Windward's support. Windward not only sets the system up for you and makes sure that all you point of sale devices work (barcode scanners, printers, etc), but if you are a cloud customer or have a maintenance contract, Windward will also remote in to your machines and fix any issues you may have. In addition, they have an on-line learning academy with training videos, documents, etc. that help you continue to learn the functionality of the system. They also offer live sessions on specific issues like maintaining inventory, year-end procedures, etc. We needed a lot of hand holding when we first started--I had no previous experience with POS software--and Windward successfully guided even a slow learner like me!

Cons: Windward is continually upgrading its software to provide additional functionality or to streamline its processes. We recently moved to the cloud version of Windward, and that has reduced some administrative overhead for us--no need for backups, no need to install updates, and greater data security. So overall, it's a plus. But there is one feature I miss in the cloud version. When our software was installed on site, we were able to print barcode labels directly from Windward to our barcode printer, a Zebra ZT510. That feature no longer works for us in the cloud, and I'm told that the reason why is that the cloud version of Windward does not currently support our particular printer. I'm still looking for a better answer from Windward. But what that loss of functionality means for me is that I must now create a separate barcode database in Excel, link that database to Zebra's barcode software, and print my barcode labels through it. So you should pay close attention to the particular peripheral hardware that Windward supports.

Julie M.
Controller
Wholesale, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021-02-10

"Windward System Five"

Comments: With Windward we are able to use the reports to budget for the future, look at our sales history per customer, get customer reports that we need.

Pros: I like the ease of being able to run our day to day business. We use the software all day every day. The ease of checking our inventory is terrific. Setting up a new customer is very easy. The system is very easy to use. Moving the data from our old system to Windward was very easy. We were able to import with very little mistakes.

Cons: I really don't have any cons with the software except that it is sometimes hard to set up new reports that we would like to download. Some times the help feature is not very specific for the reports that I need

• Reviewed on 2021-02-10
Kezia K.
Sales/Reception
  • Reviewed on 2020-11-09

"Updated: By Far The Worst POS I've Ever Used (Support Included)"

Comments: I have been disappointed, and remain disappointed. I left a similar review a few months ago, and I was contacted by Windward in an effort to improve matters - which I do appreciate - but, unfortunately, that has not been enough to change my perspective on Windward. For myself, the general ease of use does not make up for the incredible amount of problems this software has. I have been working with various POS systems for over 10 years now, and this is the only one that ever inspired me to go out of my way and leave a review, because it's just so consistently problematic. I have been asked directly by the staff at Windward to update my review, and I do wish it had improved in any way, but I am more convinced than ever that there are much better choices out there.

Pros: In comparison to previous software used, the finalization of the inventory process within Windward is rather straight-forward. The ability to print count sheets with only product in stock - no part numbers with a "zero" quantity, is great and saves paper. However, products often randomly shift into categories like 'financial' which causes the item to remain on the inventory count. I have had to request help from support on this multiple times.

Cons: I have used Windward software all day, every week day, for two years now and I consistently encounter issues in day to day operations. I have had problems with the cash out feature not allowing me to finalize the file and close the day; I am constantly getting error messages, or "unplanned shutdown" messages when an unplanned shutdown has not occurred; there are processing issues with rental invoices that cause the invoice totals to change, after the invoice has been finalized and submitted. This specifically has created MAJOR discrepancies on our invoices that has resulted in us to losing money, and having to issue apologies to many of our major accounts. One of these incidents has caused irreparable harm to our business relationship with our (previously) largest customer.

• Reviewed on 2020-11-09
Jody G.
general manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees

"System 5"

Comments: Over very satisfied with our purchase. we have been pushing the system hard and for the most part (other than speed) we are impressed with the system.

Pros: Easy integration
the ease of use
functionality

Cons: The software has been meeting all my needs, there has not been anything that we have wanted that the system does not do. There are not negatives other than the speed which has been an issue of late.

Marie V.
Owner/Operator
  • Reviewed on 2017-10-26

"This softwear has made our business extremely essential to operate."

Comments: the main function of our business, our retail set up revolves around the software making it easy to operate day to week, to month to yearly. it has been absolutely essential. recording & keeping track of everything form our substantial amount of inventory, along with accounting, reports, staff, ect. our main source of operations for sure. :)

Pros: that is is absolutely fluent in keeping all of our information organized & keeps me able to do my job as a 1 woman Owner/Operator. without this softwear we would not have been able to stay open for the past 11 years without the ease of Windward System 5, for my retail business.

Cons: for us a small retail shop, the maintenance & updating costs are quite high & out of our price range on a year to year basis.

by Windward Software on 2017-11-06

Hi Marie, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback relating to your experience with Windward System Five. We're very happy to see that it's significantly helping the operation of your business!

With regard to maintenance & updating, please contact your Account Manager at +1 (800) 663-5750, at your convenience, to discuss options to determine the most cost-effective solution. For example, it may be optimal to transfer to Windward System Five on Cloud, which includes automatic data backups and installation of updates and does not require your business to use a server.

Karen D.
  • Reviewed on 2016-06-01

"13 years with System 5"

Comments: I installed System 5 for my "brick and mortar" business in 2003. This is one of the best investments I have made for my business. I have thousands of parts & customers, and hundreds of suppliers. Most of my inventory is tracked by serial number. "Windward" is pretty quick in spite of my huge database, and the interface makes it very easy to look up info (such as customer past purchase history, showroom display serial numbers, etc). I've had great phone support when updating to newer releases, migrating the application from old servers to newer servers. Their support team has patiently even helped me through accounting questions. Once, my whole system was completely dead because my tech support guy did something on the server, and WW resolved it right away. For me, a key capability is being able to import and export information easily into and out of Excel, so that I can maintain pricing for so many parts from many suppliers. I also use Excel for sales analysis and budget reports (outside of WW), so we can "slice and dice" the data (13 years worth) to analyze leading indicators of sales trends, for example. Since work orders can be populated from an external data file, I've created an external visual interface to create the work order line items for our more complex customer configurations, and have them load automatically into a work order. After 13 years, I have a laundry list of things I would like to see added or changed in the system. However, reliability and dependability are my top priorities and on that front, WW has been excellent. Windward returns calls, answers questions, owns up if the issue is on their end, finds acceptable temporary workarounds, and makes me feel that my business success is important to them. They do NOT create barriers to communication, throw up brick walls ("that's just the way it is"), or tell me I'm running my business the wrong way ("most of our customers don't change their prices just because their costs change") - which I have actually experienced with other software vendors. During implementation, I designed my categories to support the ways I wanted to be able to analyze the data in both WW and in Excel. If you don't have any software background, I would strongly recommend working with a reseller/design consultant for the initial layout and installation (which I think would be true for any accounting system), because that will set you up for success going forward.

• Reviewed on 2016-06-01
Greg H.
  • Reviewed on 2017-10-25

"Good for the price. We've been a user since the DOS days."

Comments: Far cheaper than our old system. Also much better feature set.

Pros: Many features - most of them even work.
Price is pretty good compared to most solutions.
It generally works and if you don't do any updates you get used to the bugs and how to work around them.

Cons: Bugs. Every update fixes some bugs and introduces some new ones. I don't bother with updates anymore, just too many headaches.
Slightly archaic - you can feel that it is not a fully modern product. Years (decades) of upgrades and patches have made it feel like no one person can manage the whole project anymore. Fixes in one area screws things up in another.
Service is spotty.
Pervasive SQL is utter garbage and you don't have a choice to run another SQL server. Pervasive is easily the worst part of this whole system.
We've added ecommerce to our business but haven't integrated System 5 - the cost is eye-watering. Maybe if the cost comes down at some point.

Joan H.
Vice President
  • Reviewed on 2017-01-06

"SOFTWARD THAT DOES IT ALL"

Comments: It took a little time to learn the features but we have been very pleased with how this software works for us in our retail Hobby Shop. We have a huge inventory which is constantly changing - no problem for Windward. Windward handles our point of sale including receivables. Tracks our purchases and payables and allows us to create reports and bar codes and so much more. I can't imagine a type of business that could not function with this very extensive software at a reasonable price. Lots of good updates and fast help available when you need it.

Pros: Ability to design inventory reports that provide us detail on what has been sold in a date range and allows us to purchase wisely.

Cons: Only one thing I would like to see added: A report to show income and expense in a spreadsheet by month.

• Reviewed on 2017-01-06
April T.
General / Service Manger
  • Reviewed on 2017-11-15

"The benefits more than outway the problems that occur"

Comments: All in one program for inventory to A/R and A/P etc.

Pros: Inventory control and details that can be entered into each item is awesome. Customer sales tracking is great. Can be adapted to many types of businesses.

Cons: Reports side is not the best. Cannot get an accurate back dated inventory and designing reports is sometimes hard. Need bigger field for invoice numbers when adding bills to workorders.

by Windward Software on 2017-12-19

Hi April, and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We're delighted to hear that you are happy with System Five's tracking capabilities.

In terms of some of the issues you are experiencing with reporting, may we suggest that you contact your Account Manager at +1 (800) 663-5750 and request registration for The Windward Learning Academy. This easy-to-use yet comprehensive online tutorial resource will guide you as to how to best utilize reporting and generate the exact reports you're seeking.

• Reviewed on 2017-11-15
Trish H.
Administrator
Consumer Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016-12-15

"Windward Review by Trish"

Comments: We have had Windward in place for over 20 years and have always enjoyed exceptional service with a quality product. The program has been continually adaptable to our changing business systems and easily keeps up to date with payment processing regulations. The customer service and technical support are extremely prompt and never fail to provide us with a resolution to any problems we have had.

Pros: It encompasses all aspects of a sales & service business including back end accounting

Cons: Some features are too in depth to use for the front counter staff to use when retailing at a high volume and under pressure

• Reviewed on 2016-12-15
Darrell W.
  • Reviewed on 2014-01-06

"Best Value"

Comments: Although the implementation of this solution is a lot of work, I have been through others in the past and this one was not much different. You do have to pay extra if you want them to come on site and help, otherwise you are left to watch videos and meet on the phone/over the PC with them. They did help build out a custom learning curriculum for us and help facilitate the learning for my staff which was appreciated. I do believe that you would be hard pressed to find a better value out there though. This program offers pretty much everything (and then some), from the front of the store POS to the back end accounting. It sounded based on another review that they had some growing pains with their payroll but we've found it works fine/as expected. My staff appreciate the direct deposit. Support after implementation seems OK. "Regular" support is mostly out of the Philippines but I had a register go down and they did not hang up the phone until we were resolved, eventually getting transferred to their "advanced" support which appeared to be from North America. Why I purchased this solution over others though, was that in the design of the software and philosophy of the company they really seem to come from the entrepreneur's perspective. From integrated real time accounting and fantastic reporting capabilities and lots of customizability in the software to what their sales guy told me about a core value there: with respect, the customer isn't always right....Lord know's that's true! (in fact I was going to delay the project and when they pushed back I was a little shocked but I'm glad they did). I should also add that my IT guy put some serious analysis into this project and by the facts/spread sheet, they came out on top feature for feature. Pro's:
Best Value
Does virtually everything
Good emergency support (and 24/7)
Con's:
mediocre "regular" support
watching training video's is not fun

• Reviewed on 2014-01-06
Lori N.
HR & I.T.
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017-11-10

"Have been using Winward for 5 years and it is very frustrating."

Pros: Journals are easy to do same with cheques and we have a lot of control in that area. The support people always try to help and are very pleasant, but very often even they can't figure out how to fix something.

Cons: Very hard to delete stock or move it around, certain GL accounts we can't access, puts in transactions in the back ground that we don't about and screws up the Balance Sheet and difficult to delete a PO. In general it's difficult to delete anything except for cheques and journals which should be a little more protected.

Elizabeth M.
Accountant
  • Reviewed on 2017-10-26

"Some things are very easy to do, others are overly difficual"

Pros: It was easy to learn the basic accounting functions that I use daily. I also like the ability to use the online support.

Cons: Trying to fix errors that crop up. Very hard. Don't like voiding a check and the void goes back to the date of issue. This throws off the financial statements.
Can't run an inventory subledger with a cutoff date. Makes reconciling the subledger to the gl almost impossible.
Support is all over the place, you either get someone really good or someone that is absolutely horrible.

Andrea K.
Account
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017-11-10

"We have had Windward since 1998. Easy to use program."

Pros: Fairly easy to use. Most features are simple to use and once you know how to use it is fairly easy to correct mistakes made on invoices and inventory.

Cons: Did not have payroll part before. Confusing to change printing options when a new printer is installed and is hard to figure out how to add things on invoice set up .ie - We wanted to write "Estimates valid for 30 days on work orders but can't figure out how to do it.
Haven't yet discovered how to use the email option on invoices & statements.

Karen C.
  • Reviewed on 2017-06-09

"Have been using this software since 2006 and have been extremely satisfied."

Comments: Efficiency is the most important benefit that we have received from this software.

Pros: The ability to drill down for more information from wherever you are. For example, from an invoice, click on an inventory item to see a picture of the item, a list of everyone that has purchased this item, check out how many are on order, how many are in stock, etc without ever leaving the invoice. This software has enabled us to get the same work accomplished with fewer employees.

• Reviewed on 2017-06-09
Stephen B.
Sporting Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017-10-26

"They follow up any concerns promptly. Realistic software that works, does what it's claimed to do."

Comments: Time and insight.

Pros: We can run our whole business from it. A consistent interface across all areas helped with the initial and inevitable hugh learning curve. The online Webinars, manuals and training videos allow us to get the most out of our investment

Cons: It's so comprehensive and covers so many scenarios with alternate ways of doing things through its cusostimizable settings. Implementation requires a massive commitment of time and resources

Shantel W.
Office manager
Business Supplies & Equipment, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017-11-11

"Been using this system for 5 years now. Such potential, but a disappointment in customer service."

Comments: It has worked out well for our business. It has been relatively user friendly, easy to learn and train others on, and it does everything we need it to.

Pros: I like how it is inventory control and accounting integrated into one system. The system has great abilities.

Cons: My biggest complaint about the software is the lack of customer service. Prompt customer service is key. Prompt service seldom happens and at time I feel I know more about the system than the person I'm on the phone with.

• Reviewed on 2017-11-11
Kristofer K.
Store Manager
Furniture, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017-11-13

"Overall experience has been very good. A very reliable system with little to no freezing."

Pros: I like the speed of use and all the options for inventory. The point of sale side is pretty straight forward. The customer support is great, always helpful and very fast. It has features that could be great.

Cons: What I like least is the back side of it is not as user friendly. Feels like you need to have a degree in programming when trying to setup printing forms. Setup wizard could use simpler terms.

• Reviewed on 2017-11-13
Leslie C.
  • Reviewed on 2017-10-26

"Windward has allowed me to get out of the office and out with my customers again!"

Comments: Amazing inventory control and accounting is up to date without costing a fortune in labour or software.

Pros: I love that my staff can enter income as it comes in and they can not get into the heart of the program. This removes the need for my bookkeeper to enter income, because it is already done! The support people are very knowledgeable and thourough too.

Tony Y.
corporate sales and buyer
Computer Hardware, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017-10-25

"overall good accounting product to keep track of sales, PO and accounting"

Comments: fast invoice and PO

Pros: Making sales and PO are easy. good to have different modules for sales, purchases, inventory, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable, and whole bunch of reports

Cons: the drilling into the inventory detail is not as easy as i wish. i wanted to find out the sales data of a particular unit, and after i type in the sku, i couldn't find out who i sold to. maybe it is my lack of knowledge of the software

Deanne C.
Furniture, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017-10-26

"This is not a user friendly system AT ALL."

Comments: I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Ever. In fact, I will do just the opposite.
Thankfully, it made my bank account smaller, I was really looking for some way to throw some money away! Thanks!

Pros: Unlimited product amounts, other than that, nothing was good about it.

Cons: Even with my "full usage" set up, I still had to give myself permission to edit something such as a check. Too many steps to accomplish such a simple task. very time consuming. NONE of my staff, regardless of watching the videos and going through our training, were able to comprehend the usage of the system. Took a year to be able to pay for it, then went live, less than a month later, got a renewal bill for the next year! When I told them I wasn't happy, they told my trainer to have no contact with me, yet they "offered" additional training. This program and the company are a joke, and of course, no refund as I didn't use it 60 days. You don't need to use something for that long to know it's not for your company. My inventory was incorrect when I loaded it, even though THEY helped take it from my old system into the new. Pricing was off on 80% of the items and my scanner didn't work on their tags, even though I was told it would, they verified the make/model with me. My inventory tags were sporadic at best for printing correctly. they started out right, then went bad from there. was finally told it couldn't be fixed. Went back to QuickBooks, everything works normally. Except moving the inventory back over - of course the counts were off as they weren't right in Windward to begin with.

Grace D.
Accounting/Office Manager
  • Reviewed on 2015-06-18

"Windward System Five is an Excellent software for our Lighting Showroom"

Comments: Windward software has changed the way we operate our business. We implemented
Windward in 2009 and have had no major issues with the program. Windward's inventory program has made our store more efficient by providing a virtual warehouse that has every item listed for hundreds of manufacturers and what is available in stock or what needs to be ordered. We are able to place and produce orders through the system with ease. The system automatically allocates product received on our purchase orders to our customers orders. The reports provided by Windward make everything visible in real time. The system allows you to create custom invoices, purchase orders and more forms to fit every company's needs. Windward creates a customer database when you enter your customers information for future mailings. The accounting program is simple to use and gives
you up to date financial information. All in all, Windward is an excellent POS System and more.

• Reviewed on 2015-06-18