Blackbaud eTapestry Reviews

3.8 (216) Write a Review!

About Blackbaud eTapestry

All-in-one, web-based donor management and fundraising solution purpose-built to help nonprofits raise more money in less time.

Learn more about Blackbaud eTapestry

Pros:

The layout is very user intuitive and easy to understand. You can truly dive in and really get a huge bang for you budget almost immediately.

Blackbaud eTapestry ratings

3.4
3.9
3.7
3.5

7.1/10

Blackbaud eTapestry has an overall rating of 3.8 out 5 stars based on 216 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Blackbaud eTapestry before?

Karen
Partner in Mission in US
Religious Institutions, 51-200 Employees

Blackbaud eTapestry: Well Worth The Purchase - Absolutely Worth Every Dime

Comments: Exceptional experience and would recommend to all that are searching for a donor software system.

Pros:

Everything about this software is exactly what we need. We can communicate with our supporters in many ways, prepare and run queries on any field, create and use reporting features at any time and essentially document and track all donor information. This is all done with ease and offers flexibility.

Cons:

We wish there were a few more features as it integrates with social media and email addresses. We have found that the accuracy is not as strong as we would like it to be.

Amber
Communications Director in
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 Employees

Good for Database Management, Poor Communications Tools

Comments: I have been working in communications and development for non-profit organizations for more than 15 years. I have been using eTapestry for 2 years. I have experience with a variety of other donor management tools including Blackbaud's The Raiser's Edge. eTapestry is strong in regard to contact management, processing online gifts, and the reporting/query tools. The expense as well as the email communications and analytics are where it falls short.

Pros:

Entire system is very easy to learn no matter the experience level Managing donor records and online gifts is very easy Reporting and query tools are easy to use even for those without a lot of experience building queries clean, user-friendly interface excellent customer support simple data entry & gift processing online giving pages import gifts directly to database, helping teams avoid manual entry & the pages can be reskinned to match your website design easy to mass import records

Cons:

expensive, especially having to pay for Advanced emails & paying an hourly fee for minor changes eTapestry support must be requested for an array of minor tweaks to giving pages for example and it usually takes several days to up to 2 weeks to get changes finished communications templates are inflexible and look extremely dated, often the preview of a communication you see on your screen is not how it looks at delivery, very limited analytics tools and delivery/testing options as far as I know there is no ability to export from eTapestry to QuickBooks which means gift processing team must reenter gifts manually into QuickBooks while it has the ability to provide personal fundraising pages, they are highly inflexible and the layouts look so dated they are almost not worth using

Aaron
Membership Coordinator in
, 2-10 Employees

Great Price, good functionality, limited ease of use

Comments: Overall, it's a good program for the price we pay, but if it was any more we would change to a more user friendly system. The most important thing with eTap is to make sure that you have an employee who is familiar with database administration otherwise it is very easy within eTap for data to be misrepresented. In summary, if you don't have a big budget, it's a good way to get your feet off the ground, but I wouldn't look at it expecting a 5+ year/long term solution.

Pros:

First of all the price for our organization is fantastic, after shopping around for a new database management system, we have found nothing close to what we are currently paying. eTap has decent functionality after you learn how to use it; once you master the basics, it has the flexibility to store just about any data that you need as long as you are willing to get a little creative in how you organize the data. The ability for the data base to be directly integrated into our website and Quickbooks is also a great feature that minimizes potential lost memberships and corrupted data.

Cons:

The hands down most frustrating part of the program is that you can't have multiple tabs open within the same browser with eTap. In order to have eTap open on two different tabs, you must use a different web browser and a different login ID, which becomes a complete and total pain. It is also not the easiest program to learn and train new people on. Often we want volunteers to work on data management for us but that is really only possible if the volunteer or intern is with us for at least three months so we an spend the time training them on the program.

Larry
Donor Services Manager in
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees

eTapestry - A medium weight solution for Donor Management and Receipting.

Comments: I have been impressed with the solid support team eTapestry has. The online chat has been very helpful to me, and the specialists I have chatted with have always been knowledgeable.

Pros:

eTapestry has lots of power to get things done. It is cloud-based, so there is no need for the user to worry about upgrading the software or backing up the data. Queries are very easy to produce, and exporting the results in reports, PDFs or excel is a snap. You can design your own forms so that your website can talk to eTapestry easily. eTapestry works equally well on desktop computers, tablets and cellphones. This is very helpful for fundraisers who are on the road.

Cons:

If you are downsizing from a more robust package such as Raiser's Edge, be prepared for a loss of flexibility - for example, queries in eTapestry lack some of the power that Raiser's Edge has. When comparing what you get "out of the box" with some other solutions, you will find that in order to keep costs down for the average user, eTapestry is very basic. To add in eCommerce, donor logins, advanced email, etc these are available, but as an add-on pricing. This can make it more expensive than other products that have all these features to start with, so you should be aware of what your real needs are before committing to eTapestry.

Joshua
Director of Operations in Canada
Hospital & Health Care

eTapestry: simply the best product out there

Pros:

The eTapestry system is by far the best we've ever used. There are many things to like including: the dashboard with its sophisticated look that integrates all of the important information in on place, which makes it simple to focus on important things like delivering programs. Our old system didn't work well, especially when we needed to pull information from it. Reporting in eTapestry is quick and it looks really professional. So far, everyone we've had to provide information to, such as accountants, counselors, and so forth, are really impressed with how the information is presented to them. Last but not least, the diy forms are a godsend. They've raised us to a whole new level in regards to our tax receipting, registration forms, and mail outs! Perhaps the greatest thing we've enjoyed using eTapestry is the caliber of service we've received from every member of the team.

Cons:

So far there's nothing we don't like, but I do have some suggestions. First of all, for the diy forms, we are using one for program registrations that have a fee - the donation form seemed to be the best fit. It would be ideal for us if we could either change the wording from "donation amount" and "donation frequency" to "payment amount" and "payment frequency", or provide us with the options for wording because we don't want those who are registering to be confused about the fee because it's not a donation. Secondly, in the diy forms, where we have multiple options for users to check off, it would be ideal if we could create columns so that the form isn't too long. Finally, because we are using some of the diy forms for program registrations and we deliver programs to families, it would be ideal for us if we could have a form where participants could put in the names of their family members and those names would generate separate constituents in the database. For instance, a mother signs up for a program with her two kids. All have the same contact information, but the health information is different for all three. Currently, people have to do the form several times - once for each family member.

Barbara
Bookkeeper in US
Education Management, 11-50 Employees

very versitile

Comments: We have been able to move towards a more technology based fundraising using the justgiving portion of blackbaud for our jog-a-thon. Students created their own page and shared it for donations. This made tracking and acknowledging donations much more efficient.

Pros:

We use etapestry and justgiving and have found it to be very useful. We have been able to easily link fundraising campaigns, event registration and forms to our website and then track information.

Cons:

Extracting information can be somewhat challenging - once you learn their programing and how to create a query it becomes easier. They do provide a very large training database and a chat room for help.

Mandy
Executive of Operations in US

Great Donor Software

Comments: The support team at eTapestry is very helpful and having live chat is great. eTapestry has freed so much of our time and helping streamline our processes.

Pros:

Easy to create user defined fields to fit the needs of my organization. eTapestry is a great tool for volunteer tracking, event tracking, donation tracking, and in-Kind tracking. Having one tool for all of those categories is very helpful.

Cons:

Queries and Reports are not the easiest to pull. I know that the queries can do so much more - but they are the hardest to manipulate to get the information needed for reporting purposes. Also - it would be nice to have some way to assign users their city specific donors. As we are in multiple cities - the user access is very limited. It is almost either they can see and do everything or not do anything. There needs to be more user categories. And as we expand to other cities - I don't feel like eTapestry grows enough with us.

Robyn
Development Director in US
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees

ETapestry for NonProfit

Pros:

Data conversion from ResultsPlus was excellent. The specialist worked with us to make sure all the data was correct and matched or improved upon how it was organized. The process also helps you become familiar with the software. So, once completed, we were able to start using without much disruption. We've been successfully using it for over a year. Overall, it is user-friendly, with great support. Our account manager is wonderful and helps with issues/questions; checks up from time to time. Online resources/tutorial great and help navigate some of the learning curves with reports, mailings, etc.

Cons:

We got an odd impersonal e-mail with a link to view our invoice.It would be nice to be able to pull it up online via our Blackbaud Account Site. Support was slow when we had a question with invoice and not easy to manage/review. Not the best for e-newsletters - it's a little clunky to design with limited templates. We stayed with Constant Contact, but there are good integration features with eTapestry.

Ellen
Development Consultant in US
Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 Employees

An Investment for Growth

Comments: This review was solicited by eTapestry's marketing department.

Pros:

I appreciate that the product is part of Blackbaud's empire of services for the sector, so you can assume that much of the functionality is based on best practices. It has a nice graphic interface. I really appreciate the DIY form features that allow us to collect information on not only donors but volunteers and other constituents. It's been a phenomenal transformation in our ability to track our supporters and empower the board with good information. The automatic address updates we completed before our annual fund appeal resulted in an increased in renewal rates for our lapsed donors, which effectively paid for the subscription for the year.

Cons:

For an organization with a smaller budget, the software investment is expensive. We were fortunate to receive a 30% discount for our first three years, but as we look to renew in the coming year, I think it will start to become more painful to pay for this operational utility. It took a significant amount of time to learn how eTap works. I was initially stunned by the costs of eTapestry's video and in-person training programs and the knowledge base is a little funky to use. Their customer service staff on chat have been super helpful, however, and that's become my go-to for answering questions. They do have free resources for training, but they are basic.

Karen
Director, Development and Strategic Partnerships in
Civic & Social Organization, 11-50 Employees

Overall a good starter CRM

Comments: IF you use their system, you should really consider using their payment processing as well. It is comparable to other services and will make your life easier.

Pros:

The interface is easy to use and the donation processing and web forms functionality is pretty intuitive. If you haven't used a donor database before, this is a good beginning system. It has all of the basic functions you need, is fairly easy to use and fees are on a sliding scale.

Cons:

Their reporting and querying system is not great. You can get what you need, but it seems to be overly complicated and often requires two or three steps where other systems can do it in one. They are making improvements on this, but the essential architecture now is the same as it was when I first used this system in 2008, so I am not sure how much they can effectively change.

Diana
Development Director in
Civic & Social Organization, 11-50 Employees

Frustrating with a long learning curve

Pros:

Integration with online giving is seamless. Manual entry of gifts is easy and straightforward. It's easy to export data.

Cons:

No one in our small organization uses this software regularly enough to feel proficient, and it isn't intuitive. I waste a lot of time trying to get data out of the software. Reports have to be rebuilt every time you run them, and there is no built-in year against year to date report, which seems like an essential to me. When I was given instructions on how to accomplish this, I couldn't believe the number of steps it involved. I find myself spending a lot of time running queries, then exporting them to Excel to manipulate the data to prepare something I can share with the ED and Board. I know there are users who love this software, but it isn't working well for us.

Spencer
Data Entry Clerk in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees

Slow loading times, yet valuable, helpful, and easy to use

Comments: The benefits that I get from eTapestry is a giant database that can easily access each user by using a simple 1 to 6 digit entry recognition. Being able to store all this information online as opposed to locally also benefits our organization due to eTapestry's massive storage.

Pros:

I like the most the fact that one can search for a client's account by their account number, with a / before it, and find any given person within the account instantly. This sort of number-orientation makes the software much easier to integrate for importing data, especially when importing hundreds of account updates and journal entries at a time.

Cons:

I like the least how slow the software is. Perhaps this is because my company is utilizing the maximum account storage (we have 100,000+ accounts on file). When clicking on someone's name, there is a loading time of 3-5 seconds. When attempting to enter a gift or a journal entry from that person, there are 2 additional loading buffers of 3-5 seconds depending on the activity within the company at that time. This severely slows our process of data entry, preventing data entry from being smooth and fast.

Jermaine
Used the Software for: Not provided

The right features for the the right development plan

Pros:

I have worked with several different non-profits, and there are a wide range of products available. In many cases, people fall back on Raiser's Edge or a similarly-sized software package because it's comfortable. However, in my current position, I was creating a development department from scratch for a small non-profit, and we simply didn't need that level of software, especially not with our limited budget. eTapestry, I find, provides absolutely everything I could need at an extremely afford price point. Gone are our days of tracking prospects, donors and campaigns in multiple spreadsheets - but we don't have the complicated and, frankly, overkill options of a high-end software that's needed for the likes of non-profit giants. It's immediately accessible to fundraising veterans and novices, with access to your information from anywhere that you can connect to the internet. Plus, it grows with you, with very well-priced tiers based on your number of records. I'm a huge advocate!

Cons:

I think there is still work to be done on making customization a little more straightforward. For certain, there are challenges when it comes to split gifts, for example, that still need to worked out. That said, I have not used any software that is perfect out of the box or even after tinkering for weeks, for that matter. There is always some give and take, but I feel eTapestry does a great job.

Emily
Director of Development in US
Primary/Secondary Education

eTapestry Likely Good for Larger Organizations

Pros:

eTapestry has a responsive customer service team. Whenever I had an inquiry, someone was there to answer my questions. Once I was speaking with a sales associate and had a question the associate could not answer. The associate passed my question on to a customer service representative and the rep called me within a day to help solve my problem.

Cons:

eTapestry has many options for managing large databases. This is wonderful for large organizations, however, ours is a small non-profit. We have two fundraisers and fewer than 1000 prospect records. eTapestry was too complicated for our needs and therefore ended up only being useful for data storage. Another issue arose when we had staff turnover. Product knowledge left with former staff and training for eTapestry would have cost 150% more than our annual eTapestry costs. Training was just too expensive and, as a result, we did not utilize eTapestry as much as we could have.

Kelly
Communications Director in US
Environmental Services, 2-10 Employees

Perfect customer service and help

Pros:

We use eTapestry for all of our donor and fundraising needs. We have used many other products and have never been satisfied until now. Every function we need - and many we didn't even know we needed - are included in eTapestry. Even more than that, whenever I have a question or can't figure something out, their online help is available and can quickly and effectively solve any problem or challenge I have. I HIGHLY recommend eTapestry for your fundraising and donor relation needs.

Cons:

I don't have a single con after using them for 3 years! The only small tiny downside would be that I wish there was an app I could check from my phone.

Kathryn
Community Relations Coordinator in US
Civic & Social Organization, 201-500 Employees

Expensive platform with increasing costs and long contract periods!

Comments: Unfortunately, eTapestry is just not easy to work with as they were in the beginning when we started working with them in 2011.

Pros:

At first I loved eTapestry for its great support and a la carte options. It is definitely a robust system. Not so much anymore since they are now part of Blackbaud. They now bundle options and railroad agencies into long contracts to get single features that used to be available a la carte.

Cons:

All of the above, plus their communications tool is not the best. It would be better if they integrated with a marketing tool like Constant Contact and included that in their packages. The maneuvering through the system is clunky and not at all intuitive.

Nathan
Director of Advancement in US
Education Management, 51-200 Employees

Decent donor software for medium-sized nonprofits

Comments: It's too complicated for small organizations and not robust enough for large organizations. Since bought by Blackbaud, it seems to have been de-prioritized in terms of features, upgrades and design. Customer support is very good - but you'll need them on speed dial. Great people, great company - but this produce needs a little more TLC. Email marketing function is almost un-usable in today's mobile environment. No moves-management function, etc. 'Entirely customizable' means you have to build your own systems within. Great for basic donor info and gift tracking. Took us a couple years to 'right-size' it for us - and even then, when you have more 'work-arounds' than original offerings, you wonder if there's something better.

Pros:

Customer service

Cons:

Old design, clunky, not intuitive.

Evan
Donor Development Specialist in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees

A great starting point for small nonprofits!

Comments: Good, but no the Best.

Pros:

Ease-of-use was the best component of the system. When I was hired on by my organization in 2014, they had been using the system for a number of years already. People knew what tools they need in the system, but did not invest in further exploration of resources until I arrived. It was fairly intuitive though.

Cons:

The pricing was based around Contacts/Accounts which was not good for us as we have had rapid growth. Moreover, at the time, it did not integrate well with other systems we were purchasing. Our goals was to build out a seem less network where our data flowed in a way that made sense from Accounting to Marketing. eTapestry would have left us with few options.

Andrew S.
Used the Software for: Not provided

Great donor relations CRM with great flexibility and adaptability

Pros:

eTapestry offers a first-rate, flexible CRM with every function necessary to create and manage the organization's connections. Coupled with great customer service, eTapestry offers a CRM that can be adapted and created specifically for any nonprofit organization. Offering both standardized and custom query options, eTapestry allows the user every opportunity to get to the information needed. Additionally, eTapestry offers tremendous system integration. Via forms and a QuickBooks connection, eTapestry integrates with your website and reduces unnecessary and redundant input.

Cons:

While mass emailing components (Delivra) are less aesthetically pleasing "out of the box" than Constant Contact or other email marketing tools, eTapestry allows for Constant Contact integration if one would like to use that product instead. Additionally, CART functionality (the area where one can sell merchandise) needs to be updated to allow for greater customer flexibility and usability. eTapestry needs to allow its customers more creative license so that forms, etc. can be updated more quickly to match websites. These are ancillary issues that eTapestry is constantly working on.

Amber
Operations Assistant in US
Hospital & Health Care

eTapestry use for all levels of fundraising

Pros:

The best part of using eTapestry is the all-around ease of navigation and training. The software is laid out in a logical format, simple to customize to fit your needs and show you the numbers you really need to know. The Blackbaud training for eTapestry is outstanding. There are recorded webinars, an online community center, an online manual, live webinars that are interactive so you can practice what you are learning, and more.

Cons:

What I like least about the product is the need to continually upgrade if you want more features.

Katie
Used the Software for: Not provided

Been with eTapestry for over three years.

Pros:

Very recently, I had my first positive experience with phone support. Hopefully, that is an indicator that eTapestry is beefing up their customer service. We will know more as the holiday rush happens.

Cons:

Since the beginning, customer support has been abysmal. Just recently, it has improved, but it took three years. Last year, during the holidays, I waited no less than an hour on hold each time and ended up hanging up because I did not have that kind of time to wait on the phone. One time, I waited an hour and a half, and when the closing time came, instead of taking my call, eTapestry simply disconnected me, and I pay extra for phone support! I gave up and was never able to reach support last year during the holiday season. This year's holiday season is just starting, so I have to see if anything has improved. Also, when we set up our account there was zero project management. They did not establish our needs, and as a result, set up the database as they saw fit. We had problems with defined fields (ones they established and ones they did not), and any changes would have cost a fortune. So we were stuck with what they did, which requires a lot of additional data input after the fact. There was also zero personal training. They provided videos to watch. That was not an effective way to train because they use their own terminology, and when you had questions to ask, you couldn't ask because you were watching a video. Hands-on training is a must! We started with a customer support person who was not in tune with our needs and was later switched to a group and lost one-on-one support.

Cherylyn
Associate Development Director in US

eTapestry Great for Small to Mid size Nonprofits

Comments: Appreciate the pricing for this tool to track and manage our donors. Highly recommend for small and mid-size nonprofits. Easy to learn.

Pros:

Flexibility of donor records is important and works well. Tagging donors in multiple different ways always our nonprofit to track and communicate in ways that are important to the donor.

Cons:

Would like to see improvement in the communications features - templates are clunky to work with and designing own templates is challenging. We end up creating image in outside tool and then import it in.

Lisa
Consultant in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees

e-Tapestry: Non-Profit Software for 10,000 or less donors

Comments: When I worked for a small non-profit we used e-Tapestry successfully. It was a tremendously helpful to establishing our development pyramid and where our team should best spend our time to be successful.

Pros:

This software allows you to track, research and analyze donors. That means you can project revenue, cultivate more effectively and have a better communicative relationship with your donors.

Cons:

In non-profit, development professionals use many different types of software. I see eTapestry as the entry level software with an eventual graduation to Raiser's Edge.

Allison
Higher Education Software
Used the Software for: Not provided

eTapestry Is A Great Product!

Pros:

We receipt over 50,000 gifts annually. eTapestry saved us with their automatic pledge and recurring gift schedules with credit cards and EFT. We have over 3,500 gifts go off automatically each month. If we didn't have this feature, we would need to hire at least three more full-time staff for gift receipting. The ease of building queries and reports for mailing lists, monthly financial reports, moves management processes, and anything the VP needs is incredible. In my old database, it was a 24-hour process to run our alumni magazine mailing list. The first time I ran the list in eTapestry, it only took 15 minutes. We've been with eTapestry for seven years. I know many of their staff personally and enjoy the relationship that I have built with them over the years. Their support staff are amazing!

Cons:

I miss the old days of eTapestry when they were their own, small company. Although Blackbaud has allowed them to advance in some areas, I miss some of the small company touches that used to be there.

Molly
Executive Director in US
Civic & Social Organization, 2-10 Employees

Should have done this long ago

Comments: The customer service has been top-notch. I'm a very satisfied customer and have already spread the word about Blackbaud and Etapestry to my colleagues in the nonprofit field.

Pros:

Etapestry makes it easy for me to have all of my important donor information in one comprehensive spot. Pulling reports, adding content and getting an at-a-glance look at where my financials are coming from have been an essential part of my strategic success.

Cons:

There is definitely a learning curve, as there is for any industry-specific software. Working in the nonprofit field, it's hard to find time to learn everything there is to know but I'm confident that the more I use the software, the more second-nature it will become.