15 years helping Canadian businesses

QuickBooks Online Advanced Reviews

About QuickBooks Online Advanced

QuickBooks is an end-to-end accounting software that can grow with your business.

Learn more about QuickBooks Online Advanced

Pros:

The system is easy to use and QuickBooks has a ton of guides and videos to help begins with just about anything. Truly accounting made easy, not to mention the dozens of app integrations available.

Cons:

My only complaint is when calling customer service, I have been helped by representatives who know less than I do about their program.

QuickBooks Online Advanced ratings

4.3
4.0
4.3
4.2

8.3/10

QuickBooks Online Advanced has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 897 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used QuickBooks Online Advanced before?

Bob
Bob
Online Radio Expert/Host; Podcast Host; Ordained Minister/Award Winning Author/Prof. Public Speaker in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, Self Employed

Over 10 years of complete satisfaction!

Comments: 100 percent satisfied. I have been approached with offers to switch. I turn every single one of them down. QuickBooks has proven to be to be the absolute best software for me to use in this area.

Pros:

I love QuickBooks for Non-Profits! I have used this software exclusively for the past 10 years with no problems at all. I have received numerous compliments from Board Members of the accuracy and detail I provide when it comes to our financial reports. I have been told I provide the best reports they have seen (many are members of other non-profit boards). It is all accomplished with just a few clicks and the reports printed out!

Cons:

It does take a bit of getting used to. Especially when you are first setting up the system. Once it is set up, it runs along fine. One thing to make sure of is the category of the items you are entering. Otherwise, your reports will contain mis-categorized information. Be sure to check over your reports for accuracy in that area. If identified, it is a simple fix - but you must check it over.

Intuit Response

4 years ago

Hearing that you've enjoyed using QuickBooks for so many years makes our day, Bob! We're thrilled to know that you're able to confidently present accurate data with the reports you've created without breaking a sweat. You can continue rely on us to have your back for years to come. It sounds like you're a pro, but if you ever need any assistance, we recommend checking out the Community. Here, you'll find detailed articles and advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/ Thanks for an awesome review! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Peggy
Executive Director in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

A Must-Have For Administrators Looking For Efficient Payroll and Budgeting Software

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Exceptional. I would be unable to handle the administrative functions of my position as well as client caseload without this software.

Pros:

Ease of use! I am not an accountant nor am I professionally trained in business operations. When I was elevated from Staff Attorney to Executive Director I inherited administrative responsibilities that I was completely unfamiliar with. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how intuitive and efficient the software is. I am confident the transition into my position would have been far more difficult, but not for our subscription to QuickBooks Online.

Cons:

After connecting our client management database and bank accounts to Quickbooks Online, I began to see duplicate transaction entries. In troubleshooting the issue, I discovered that deleting the journal entry created by our client database was the only way to resolve the issue. This makes me uncomfortable. I wish there were a way to "archive" the journal transaction. This would allow the system to properly reflect the journal created by the client database, as well as my direct entry in the accounting software without affecting the overall balance.

Gary
President in US
Chemicals, 2–10 Employees

Adequate for simple product businesses

Comments: We run our business on it and have to work around all the limitations, it gets the job done, but we spend a lot of time having to use excel outside the product to get things completed. It is getting better but so slowly we have considered moving to another online software package.

Pros:

QBO is an easy to use intuitive accounting software package with generally reliable online access. It has the basic accounting features that you would expect for a small business, but lacks the detailed features necessary for a bundled product business (one where your product is composed of Bill of Materials and you need to track the details on the sub components - think of gift baskets with 10 items in it, and the basket has a single SKU.) QBO has been improving in many ways and priority circle is a welcome addition to getting support.

Cons:

The Reporting is really poor, you cannot simply build a report using any fields there are significant limitations of what fields you can include in a report. For instance you cannot write a report with customer and invoice information in it. IE. What customers have bought what products and when - this can't be done you need to export all the data and then do your own intersection to answer that question. There is really limited inventory tracking - as long as you stock and sell individual wigets your are ok, but if you sell bundles you are screwed. We have to do all inventory tracking outside of QBO because it is so lacking. You can't not do line item discounts. You cannot have negative product line items ( like volume discounts or returns, etc.) There are so many basic features in QBO Desktop that are totally lacking in the online version.

Lisa
Director in UK
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

Veteran User of QBO

Comments: Overwhelmingly positive. I find it very intuitive. It does the job and I enjoy using the software. It doesn't frustrate me.

Pros:

The reporting is good, the system is robust, the bank rec works, a lot can be automated, I use the payroll feature too which saves a lot of time.

Cons:

The pension connection keeps not sinking so I manually have to go to the NEST website to enter in the numbers.

Joe
Finance Coordinator in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Easy to use and very convenient

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: It has provided me everything I need to do my job well and has a simplicity that allows me to work very quickly and efficiently. The things it might lack are not critical to what I need to get done at work.

Pros:

QBO is very user friendly and easy to get acquainted with quick. There are enough features to allow you to do a multitude of tasks. Online bill pay is an essential feature for us and allows us to send ACH payments for free in a timely manner. The system is able to operate quickly and not slow down with multiple programs open at once.

Cons:

Can be difficult to find discrepancies/accounting errors. Could have more protections against altering previous period numbers.

Wes
Wes
Vice President in US
Retail, 11–50 Employees

The Sofware You Love To Hate

Comments: We have used Enterprise for years and we had to make a change because our inventory was getting out of control. Sadly, Enterprise is missing about 5 things to make their manufacturing perfect and it just doesn't look like that is ever going to happen. Accordingly, we had to try and find an MRP software and the only way it would work well was moving to QBO. This was like making a choice to either get punched in the gut or punched in the throat. Either inventory was workable or accounting was workable.

Pros:

It integrates with our current ECommerce cart and a few other programs (e.g. Zapier).

Cons:

They have radically tried to over-simplify the product. For instance, the Vendor tab being under Expenses. As every accountant knows, Vendors aren't solely about Expenses. This is just one example of how, in trying to make this product more intuitive, they have thwarted anyone with accounting experience in using it. There are so many things you cannot delete. Too many to try and list here.

Intuit Response

3 years ago

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us, Wes. Receiving your feedback will only help us continue to improve the product.Feel free to check out the QuickBooks Blog, as this is where your feedback comes to life:https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv. We hope you have a great business year filled with success and great health during this difficult time! -Hannah, The QuickBooks Team.

Jennifer
Owner in US
Apparel & Fashion, 2–10 Employees

Great Product

5.0 last month New

Comments: Works great and is a product I would buy again. It was easy to learn and is very user friendly/

Pros:

If you are an online store or do online billing this product is great. I use it in my brick and mortar so it's not the best option due to the payment processing because it doesn't provide a credit card receipt to be signed. Other than that I love it. It keeps track of everything so it makes tracking so easy.

Cons:

It doesn't work well if you are a brick and mortar. I wish there was a compatible credit card machine that would print a receipt for the client to sign. There are a few quirky things in the set up for the invoices and receipts. It will not print the phone number in it's proper place. I've improvised but it's just annoying.

Kim
Mental Health Care, 2–10 Employees

Daily Payments and Payroll

4.0 last month New

Comments: It's fine, it works for what we need in our office

Pros:

Quickbooks is easy to use and keeps my clients organized

Cons:

They change the look of it often, so once I think I know where a function is, they'll change it. It can be really slow. And I don't like that I can't keep multiple credit cards saved under one customer, I have to manually input it if I need to use a different card.

Darcy
admin in US

QuickBooks

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

We use QuickBooks everyday to do everything we need to run the company

Cons:

the only issue is when we speak to someone in customer service its really hard to understand their accent

Catherine
Attorney in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Thank you for putting my mind at ease.

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Super positive. I don't know all the features available but from what I do know, I love and trust it.

Pros:

This program makes the intimidating, time-consuming task of accounting approachable and reliable.

Cons:

I have not yet found anything I don't like.

Molly
Senior Financial Manager in US
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Best Move My Company Ever Made

Comments: The cost for this product is amazing. We have saved $100,000 yr since switching from NetSuite. My team and I honestly prefer QuickBooks for everyday bookkeeping and business operations. For our company the switch was a no-brainer.

Pros:

This software is so easy to use and makes training a breeze. A ton of the functionality makes everything more efficient and intuitive. The reporting is awesome and easy to create your own custom reports.

Cons:

You cannot have multiple tabs open and you cannot easily create consolidated financials to include multiple instances.

LeAnn
VP, Operations in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

So much better than complicated systems!!!

Comments: We have realized much richer reporting, faster data entry and uploads, connection to multiple apps such as Bill.com, and a wealth of information readily available through QuickBooks training, online experts, and even YouTube videos.

Pros:

We love that QuickBooks provides an online option that is easily accessible for all of our virtual employees and financial advisers. It has been a breeze to use compared with our old system (Abilla MIP). In today's digital age, we don't often need all the complexity - just the natural, simple, and efficient financial management systems.

Cons:

The only thing we haven't liked is that our transition from MIP had to be done manually.

President in US

QBO Improving

Comments: We experience little downtime, despite some slowing of speeds. We're impressed with QBO at this time.

Pros:

Many new features being updated regularly. Does what we need it to do.

Cons:

Speed improvements as our file grows is very important.

Sabrina
CFO in US
Real Estate, 51–200 Employees

Multi Small Company

Comments: Quickbooks Online Advanced overall has served our purpose well, especially as a small company, but as we continue to grow and with the expense increase we may need to look for other options that are more robust. It was worth it to attempt to make the system work for the cost, but not so much anymore.

Pros:

The software is easy to use and can be accessed by multiple people in multiple locations. There are a multitude of videos available when attempting to do something new.

Cons:

The cost has increased from $30 to $150 per month, which is a major increase for what doesn't seem like a lot of extra tools. The few things that our company needs cannot be helped with Priority Circle, we need the system to work more like desktop did.

Richard
Director of Operations in US
Airlines/Aviation, 11–50 Employees

Quickbooks Online for Aircraft Maintenance

Pros:

Quickbooks Online allows us to streamline our accounting process as well as inventory tracking. Our customers love to be able to receive estimates and invoices online as well as pay online. With unlimited chart of accounts and excellent reporting features we are able to monitor the pulse of the company daily.

Cons:

If you are not an accounting guru, have access to an accountant or you do not understand debits, credits and accounting concepts you are going to feel lost. There is an extreme learning curve for small business owners who go from physical books and spreadsheets to Quickbooks Online. Once you learn everything you will find the software very helpful, but when you first get started odds are, you're going to inadvertently make a big mess of your books until you figure it all out.

Sara
Administrative in US

Efficient and Insightful

Comments: Since switching to QBO Advance our company has not only been able to work efficient and effectively but also pinpoint trouble areas both within our financials and bookkeeping. We have been able to work towards correcting and improving these areas. Overall, we are very happy with our experience thus far with QBO Advanced.

Pros:

There are several features we find extremely convenient, including, the ability to directly connect our bank accounts, remote access to our software, and the at a glance profit and loss for projects. We also find the project feature to be the most useful and enjoy the hourly cost rate within projects to be extremely insightful. A final area we find extremely useful is the user permissions feature within QBO Advance; this feature has given us the ability to broaden our users and therefore increase our workflow efficiency without sharing our financial data.

Cons:

We have found the payroll add-on to be difficult to work with, specifically, distributing the different pay rates because our employees get paid different wages when working on government jobs as well was when they work overtime. Overtime does not seem to accurately pull from the time cards and pay appropriately for overtime. We also wish more payroll data had transferred when switching from desktop to online.

Kristen
Accounting Dept in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11–50 Employees

Great step up from QB desktop

Comments: QB Advanced has been a great addition to our workplace. I am the main user and I like the ease of reports and other functions.

Pros:

The product is user friendly. It is easy to navigate and find all the features. The tech support are always friendly, fast and always help with any questions I have had.

Cons:

There are many features that we do not use, but I'm sure would be helpful to other companies.

Tara
Controller in US
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Works well for small business

Comments: On a day to day bases, it is easy to use and easy to see a quick snapshot of where our company stands. Customers can view and pay their invoices online and money is deposited quickly. It has helped increase our cashflow.

Pros:

The software was fairly easy to set up and is very easy to use. Very forgiving. Errors can be corrected easily. (with the exceptions noted below)

Cons:

The recurring transaction feature does not always work as expected. Accounts or products that are created in error can only be made inactive, not deleted. We now have a lot of extras since the accountant that helped us import our Sage data imported everything twice. We have 2 of all our products and accounts.

CFO in US

QBO Advanced is underrated

Comments: QBO is easy to use and not because it's aimed towards inexperienced users or people who have no accounting background. It can be simple or used in advanced ways.

Pros:

The dashboard, cloud-based nature, and layout of the software has been up to date for at least 7 years whereas other general ledger software have stuck with more traditional builds.

Cons:

There isn't much I dislike. There are changes that are desired but these are features that other software also do not have.

Katherine
Wine & Spirits, 11–50 Employees

QuickBook Online Advanced Review

Comments: Overall my experience has been mostly positive. There was a major issue earlier this year where the one account we used was not allowing me to pay for the service. It said my accountant had billing rights, but he wasn't getting bills either. We would randomly and for days at a time not be able to access this one account at all. I would call and call and each representative that I talked to had different "solutions" but none of them worked. One even told me that our entire data was gone because we didn't pay the bill and we would have to start a new account. It was pretty ludicrous. It literally took about five months to get it resolved when finally, the last of about 13 reps that I talked to did what really needed to get done to fix it. Just seems like they're not on the same page as far as knowledge of this software.

Pros:

For the most part, this software is user friendly. It is organized and efficient and keeping my accounting and bookkeeping for the company on track.

Cons:

There are several things this software does (or doesn't do) that make it a bit cumbersome. For example, there are certain accounts you cannot load into vendor details because it's not a "cost". But we have "cost of sales" and that is one of our biggest used account but I cannot load it into vendor cards just because it's not a cost account. I don't like the way the reconciliation works. I don't use the automatic feature because it makes it harder than it's worth when I have to go out of the menu altogether for it to register that something that automatically "reconciled" is to be accounting for.

Oil & Energy, 201–500 Employees

QuickBooks for Quick book keeping

Comments: Lastly i would say that this product is very good for small to midsize companies, but for large entities it may not offer much benefit. i personally have very good experience using this software because of its user friendliness.

Pros:

Ah , this product is a life savior, previously i was using a Fox pro base customized accounting software which was a big headache. this product is bug free and provided smooth book keeping experience. The best thing about this software is its user friendliness, which is in my opinion far better than any other software available .

Cons:

what i don't like about this software is it limitation to customization, you can not change this according to your specific needs. some times times you need to customize your processes and functions to fit in to QuickBooks advance. Secondly, this is for the small to mid size organizations not for big and multinational entities. For me i had difficulty in setting up project accounting because of less options are available. it is also to note that there is no automated procedure for fixed assets capitalization like other ERPs

Andrew
Vice President of Operations in US

Good standard accounting solution

Comments: Overall it's a good bang for the buck by providing a rather robust accounting program for a mid-size non-profit. I wish they could do multi-company consolidations all from within QuickBooks and not having to export to Excel.

Pros:

Quickbooks has great learning tools and resources to acquire knowledge on how to use their platform. It can take some time getting used to everything (as it does with any system), but once you get the hang of it, it is generally pretty easy to navigate and set things up.

Cons:

Their customer service is usually pretty helpful for the technical pieces but we had some issues with our billing and they were a complete mess to work with. I guess as long as you are paying your bill, that's all they care about and don't want to waste their time figuring out billing issues. Also, there are a few limitations in a some of their reports that don't seem to make sense and even stumped some of the customer service agents that I had talked to.

Ashlea
Sales and Marketing Specialist in US
Financial Services Software, 51–200 Employees

QBOA Review

Comments: AP and AR automation.Billing and invoicing.

Pros:

With QuickBooks Online Advanced, I am able to create professionally and send invoices.Help eradicate discrepancies on invoices and POS via 2 and 3 way matching.

Cons:

QuickBooks Online Advanced suits all my financial and accounting management needs.

jenny
Accountant in US
Entertainment, 11–50 Employees

Quickbooks Online Advanced Review

Comments: We are a multi-location theatre and school. Our directors and managers and board members need to have access to reports about each show and its success, our donations and fundraising efforts and our expenses in real-time in order to make decisions quickly. The ability of the QBO to allow this real-time access is something we have come to rely upon. The difficulty we have is with data input. We have had to hire a person just to input our deposits from our enrollment system and cc processor by hand, so that we can class them correctly.

Pros:

That it is accessible by many people in our organization in real time and that access is customizable by user. It has many of the desktop features that we like, including the ability to use a lot of classes and accounts and customizable reporting. I love being able to have many windows of it open in order to compare between accounts or items I am working on.

Cons:

I have worked with Quickbooks since the 1990s and therefore am a desktop user. I am used to the keyboard shortcuts and the ability to upload data for invoicing, deposits and journal entries. That minimal columns can be uploaded is really frustrating and it is time consuming to hand enter items, especially if our processors don't download their data to QB. I do not like that I cannot use a desktop version to clean up items in the online version. I really liked the accountant versions in desktop.

Maylin
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

QuickBooks Online Advanced is Great

Comments: My overall experience with QuickBooks Online Advanced is great. I am able to multitask and keep all my bookkeeping organized thanks to this system. So when it is the end of the year, it is very easy to close out and hand everything to the Accountant for tax reporting.

Pros:

What I like most about QuickBooks Online Advanced is how easy it makes my job. Everything from running reports, managing the Chart of Accounts, and reconciling my accounts at the end of the month is very simple with QuickBooks Online Advanced.

Cons:

I think that what I like least is when there is a new feature and I have to learn how it affects my process. But I can say that QuickBooks Online Advance makes it easy to learn the new features or processes.