15 years helping Canadian businesses

About CosmoLex

CosmoLex is the only cloud-based, total practice management, billing, and accounting system (no QuickBooks® required).

Learn more about CosmoLex

Pros:

We used another system before and Cosmolex is more economical and user friendly.

Cons:

No way to track date of loss and statutes of limitation. Takes a great deal of time to manage task lists.

CosmoLex ratings

4.6
4.8
4.4
4.6

9.1/10

CosmoLex has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 336 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used CosmoLex before?

Pete
Pete
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

I am glad I found CosmoLex, I could not get through a day without it.

Pros:

It's easy to use, intuitive, and the customer support is outstanding. I've occasionally contacted them with feature suggestions and they usually end up incorporating those suggestions - or they might show me how I missed something that accomplishes the same thing. The product works as advertised and I have no regrets.

Cons:

It had a little bit of a learning curve but I had nothing to compare it to. I now find it intuitive, so it's hard to say. Customer support is awesome, though, and they also have videos you can watch that explain most of the problems and issues I experienced along the way.

Alternatives Considered: MyCase and Clio

Reasons for Choosing CosmoLex: As my office grew, I realized that I needed REAL software that was made for lawyers instead of trying to customize software that was off-the-shelf.

Switched From: Quicken

Reasons for Switching to CosmoLex: It seemed more professional and I was able to get customer support on the phone during the trial period.

Jennifer

Best Attorney Software

Comments: Great program with easy customer support (even a chat feature). The prior legal platform software we used constantly had issues with an expensive yearly update that was required. Cosmolex is cloud-based so no need for updates. there is no need for an additional bookkeeping program for your office expenses as the program will handle that along with your trust accounting.

Pros:

I like that you can handle your everyday office accounting in the same program as your trust accounting. There is no need for a separate program. Our clients love the client portal and they can upload documents directly to the client portal instead of having to bring them into our physical office. Cosmolex keeps each of your client files organized where you can save all of your emails, documents, and share the ones that you need to share with your clients through the client portal.

Cons:

We would like to be able to make one bulk deposit at one time instead of having to go through by individual dates and make individual deposits.

Alternatives Considered: MyCase and Clio

Reasons for Choosing CosmoLex: Pclaw has expensive yearly updates. It was a chore to even close a client file. The program is outdated. To allow access to the program to a client, we had to get a separate program to upload documents because pclaw has no such feature.

Reasons for Switching to CosmoLex: Cosmolex had the back office accounting to have all our books go through one program!

Deborah

DO NOT DO IT

Comments: The company is basically developing this software and charging you to be their testers. Basic features (like Relationships) have odd limitations rendering the feature useless. Example: you can only have a single opposing party and only a single person as opposing counsel. I have cases with 10 Defendants and we end up with 27 opposing attorneys. There is simply not a way to catalog this in the system. Renders the case management ability almost useless.

Pros:

Loved the sales pitch. Wish it worked as well as salesman sold it. Invoicing and expense tracking does work.

Cons:

Chat for help. Not there most of the time. When it is functioning, Cosmolex can't answer basic questions and requires someone else to get back with you (weeks later!). Most of the things it is supposed to be able to accomplish, do not work at all or require you to know "hidden" steps to complete.

Karin
Office Manager/Bookkeeper in Canada

Great All in One Solution

Comments: Both lawyers & support staff are very satisfied with the switch to CosmoLex.

Pros:

Onboarding/migration process was quite smooth; great team to work with.Easy to use all aspects of firm and trust accounting, quarterly reporting, Love the integration with Microsoft 365; getting closer to becoming 'paperless'.Can't wait to get the client portal in full use.The Live Support portal is the best I've ever used. They usually have the answer but if not the matter is immediately escalated and responded to.

Cons:

A bit of a learning curve moving from previous software. Don't switch during a busy period.Would like to see a client ledger which incorporates both trust and general expense entries on single page.

Alternatives Considered: LEAP and uLawPractice

Reasons for Choosing CosmoLex: Was looking for a cost effective, cloud based accounting/document management software.Previous software was glitchy at times and tech support was not immediate.

Switched From: PCLaw

Shawn

Best Legal Management Software

Comments: Cosmolex has increased the efficiency of my firm dramatically. From standard client letters to accounting, to tasks, the program has made all aspects of my practice easier. It is easy to learn and efficient.

Pros:

Cosmolex is by far the best Legal Management Software on the market. The accounting is superior and specific to the legal industry and the client management options are unmatched.

Cons:

There are sometimes delays as information is being entered. It is relatively minor but something I expect they will improve on.

Alternatives Considered: Clio

Reasons for Choosing CosmoLex: Practice Panther did not have adequate accounting practices needed for law firms in Ontario and did not comply with my law society rules. It also did not integrate adequately with Quickbooks resulting in very high bookeeping and accounting fees. Also PC Law is outmoded and complicated.

Reasons for Switching to CosmoLex: Cosmolex had the full package. It had the accounting power of PC Law, the client centered functionality like Clio and the ease of use like Practice Panther all in one.

Miranda
Office Manager in Canada
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

Great Program!

Comments: It's made reconciling accounts much easier and faster for me. I love the layout. It's also been a breeze to create invoices in (minus needing to edit them afterwards because the customization doesn't do what we'd like it to do).

Pros:

It's extremely user friendly! I love that I can print all the cheques I need on a file at the same time, or all the cheques I'm using to pay invoices at the same time.

Cons:

The invoice customization tool is the only non user thing about this program.

Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Great Software. Can be a learning curve.

Pros:

The built in efficiency. Great accounting system. Easy to generate invoices, apply payments, and print checks.

Cons:

It takes a bit to learn how to do everything and fully utilize the software. That being said, the customer service is excellent. The software is pricey and I wish there was a discounted rate for firm members who only have limited access.

Alternatives Considered: MyCase

Reasons for Choosing CosmoLex: Cosmolex came highly recommended by a colleague.

Switched From: MyCase

Kristen
Legal Services, Self Employed

Best decision I made for my business

Pros:

What I like the most is that virtually everything is in one program and it is super easy to use. It was a smooth transition to migrate files and data over (CosmoLex took this over for me)

Cons:

Used to have a feature where you could sort documents according to tabs (such as date modified, name, etc). This feature was disabled which makes it difficult to find documents within a folder, particularly if there is a high volume of documents. Please bring this feature back!

Cole
Practice Manager and Surrogacy Program Director in US

Outstanding Practice Management Software

Comments: The greatest benefit is the inclusion of accounting functions such that the we can readily prepare the necessary reports for our CPA.

Pros:

The software is intuitive and straightforward. All necessary options are readily accessible from a simple menu structure, and the inclusion of detailed accounting functions is truly unparalleled.

Cons:

The only difficulty our firm has had has been in discerning how to remove or amend charges to clients once they have been billed and once payment has been received. However, via help and reading on the forums, we now understand this process and it is not difficult.

Alternatives Considered: Rocket Matter and Clio

Reasons for Switching to CosmoLex: The inclusion of accounting features and the overall ease of the user interface.

Mary

Impressed by Customer Service

Comments: Much more intuitive than our previous program.

Pros:

I like how easy it is to get help (by phone, email, live chat, or leaving a ticket). I am still in the "learning" phase of using the software, but the customer service team has walked me through each stumbling block and taken time to show me in detail how all the features work. I'm most impressed by how they seem to anticipate my future questions and address those as well as whatever concern I originally contacted them about.

Cons:

Nothing yet as far as functionality. Wish the data migration services were more affordable.

Alternatives Considered: PracticePanther Legal Software

Reasons for Choosing CosmoLex: Wanted something more updated and easy to use.

Switched From: Tabs3

Reasons for Switching to CosmoLex: Price, customer service, and functionality .

Amy
Firm Administrator in US

Leaving CosmoLex after 60 frustrating days

Comments: I manage 3 small law firms. One of my firms moved from Prolaw to CosmoLex 60 days ago because management wanted to be 100% cloud-based, which Prolaw is not. Unfortunately, my CosmoLex experience has been really frustrating, to say the least. As background, I have used Prolaw for over 20 years, which performs back and front office tasks (like CosmoLex). At another firm, I have used Clio with QBs for about 7 years with lots of success. At a 3rd firm, I use Bill4Time with QBs with lots of success. I really tried to make CosmoLex work for the last 60 days. As the manager of 3 small law firms, I am a stickler for efficiency and productivity. Making small firms competitive with larger firms is a big part of my job. But unfortunately CosmoLex was a huge step backwards in that goal.

Pros:

You ALWAYS get a live person in customer service and they are GREAT! I have spent hours and hours on the phone, chat and email with many people in customer service in the last 60 days. It is really easy to get a live person, which is great! And I have been impressed with every single one of them. But unfortunately their answer is almost always: "I'm so sorry, CosmoLex cannot do that, I will add it to the list of features we could add." I haven't been around long enough to know if suggestions are actually ever incorporated into the software. Truthfully, so many features would have to be added to make this a viable program, I just can't wait to see. There is a robust filter / search mechanism. Literally, those are the only good things.

Cons:

Everything else. CosmoLex is a great idea, but the execution completely fails at both the accounting and practice management components. Entering data in the software is ridiculously inefficient - from simple time entries, which you have to choose from pulldown, scrolling menus rather than entering data quickly and tabbing through (there is NO tabbing through any data!), to an accounting system that is set up in inflexible, awkward components that make no accounting sense (not a debit or credit to be found), it just doesn't lend itself to efficiency or intuitiveness like most online billing programs. If you are used to customizable columns (who isn't?); screens in which you can edit, print, manipulate multiple items at one time; check boxes to select all or multiple items; or screens that show you totals like hours billed in a day, week or month, account balances, CosmoLex is gonna drive you crazy. It doesn't allow any of the above. There are so many downfalls, I truthfully don't know where to start. Additionally, we purchased the migration service. Each person I worked with was amazingly knowledgeable and professional, but the actual migration was a disaster. After hours of work on my and CosmoLex's migration team's part, my non-financial data migrated into ComsoLex very unusable. Also, they do not actually migrate financial data. I was hoping to move at least 7 years of accounting, as well as, historical invoices from open matters, but that is not possible.

Ana
Attorney at Law in US

Cosmolex Review

Comments: I became a Cosmolex customer after being a customer of another practice management system and a customer of a widely known accounting software. My law practice incorporates general practice areas ranging from real estate/title agency, personal injury, litigation, family law, to probate and estate planning. With a variety of practice areas such as my firm, the challenges of practice management are complex because each area of the law has its own set of individual policies and procedures. The program I was using didn't capture my time spent on cases, nor created a detailed bill for my clients' review that completely captured all of the work my staff and I performed on their case. Cosmolex produces an invoice for the client that justifies my legal fee, which is essential to client satisfaction, and critical for ethical compliance purposes for cases that are accepted on a retainer or hourly basis. Not only do I earn more money because I'm able to quickly track time and expenses, but I also deliver a better product. Less time is spent telling my client what I did on their case but instead, allows me to focus on the particular legal matter the client hired me to solve. Further, the biggest hurdle to launching a successful law firm (I've only had my own law firm for seven months), is bookkeeping, and I have an in-house, nearly full-time bookkeeper which is also an accountant and is even qualified as an expert in a common accounting software system. However, with all of that knowledge and expertise, so much of my time was spent on accounting, and now it's spent on practicing law and a deeper concentration on my cases. This was not and could not have been possible with other accounting software systems on the market. Trust me, I tried them, and they only created problems. The other systems in the market (even those that are tailored for law firms) simply make the law firm work for the system, and not the system work for the law firm. Cosmolex is comprehensive. It takes care of the daily task delegation, case progress, and time tracking, accounting, employee performance, and reports. My experience has been an eye-opening one. My experience is mostly a relief because without Cosmolex I would still be living in the dark-ages of unproductivity and frustration.

Pros:

Ease of use, the simplicity of timecards, layout/design, price, functionality across multiple practice areas, ethical compliance considerations, cyber security protection, and mobility.

Cons:

Lack of knowledge by customer support, inability of 24/7 customer support access, inadequate and burdensome contact importing process, access to library of forms and templates with incorporated merge fields, failure of bank integration for purposes of deposits, no app available, not synced with lexicata or another CRM service, doc mgmt could use some navigational ease of use improvement, no place for employees to insert their time for purposes of payroll, no spell checker, inability to make a matter designated as anything other than inactive or active (nice if had more options, such as closed cases, prospective lead, consultation only, referred out), migration of emails into cosmolex, lack of automatic matching of emails to correct corresponding client file (doesn't exist retroactive to joining Cosmolex at all, and once joined, the automatic email matching is rare but is much more usually manual entry, automatic base fee for commonly used tasks and expenses that would automatically be applied to each type of case's invoice for example, fax $2.50, copy cost 30 cents per page, courier fee $5.00, postage cost of $10.00, generate and open file $15, $10 document retention fee, and legal research $20.00, additional permissions for each user based on more than is listed under "role," label generator, sync with efax and adobe sign and google for work, ability to mark certain case documents as confidential and/or only for internal viewing purposes.

8 years ago

Hi Ana, Thank you for taking the time to detail your thoughts, it is constructive feedback like yours which keeps us grounded. You run a multi-dimensional practice and are a tech enthusiastic, full of ideas. While we currently do not offer 24/7 live customer support as you stated, this is planned for the near future. We also agree that data migration from one system to another can often be very cumbersome. Though we have automated this process quite a bit since you became a customer, we understand that this can be perceived as a major hurdle for some firms, which is why we work hard every day to improve this process. Lastly, we value your comment that "[CosmoLex] is already well beyond its counterparts and is arguably the next big leader in legal tech practice management". We can assure you that we will be relentless in our pursuit of simplifying the practice of law! Erica Birstler, Manager, Client Services Dept.

Marc
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

This is a time and money saver for any firm.

Comments: I was looking for a complete solution to my practice management and accounting needs.

Pros:

I tried various other platforms including PCLaw and Clio, but they lacked in usability or functionality compared to CosmoLex. PCLaw is outdated, slow and not cloud based, while Clio lacks firm accounting functionality and though they advertise quickbooks syncing, there are major issues with the syncing that requires a great deal of work by the end user. CosmoLex is able to do virtually everything Clio can do with respect to practice management and even has a few unique features. However, where CosmoLex really shines is with its built in accounting system. As a Canadian Lawyer we require certain functionality that our American counterparts do not and CosmoLex has done a great job of meeting our needs. CosmoLex can properly deal with our HST/GST/PST issues and payments as well as offer us accrual based accounting as we are required to use by law. There is NO other cloud based platform with an all-in-one solution for Canadian Lawyers. This is a time and money saver for any firm.

Cons:

I would like to see document generation (of all sorts), multiple clients per matter, the ability to generate Client I.D. Forms from the contact information. Also helpful would be the ability to attach scanned receipts, cheques, and bills to accounting entries similar to the functionality in QuickBooks. Some minor efficiency changes like being able to select certain options when creating an entry rather than having to re-open it afterwards.

Christine
Owner Attorney in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

By far a much better experience in legal software than previous program

Comments: I am practicing law more than I am fighting with accounting software for lawyers!

Pros:

It does front and back office and IT WORKS. Very little technical support needed on a regular basis. It allows clients to make payments online through an invoice link and cosmolex is partnered with LawPay. Also integrates well with outlook exchange and all programs like google, onedrive, dropbox ; allows all emails to be saved to the associated matters for easy access. billing process is fairly simple the invoice links are keeping receivables down as client's can pay their bills 24/7. bills are able to be emailed easily and in bulk; invoice reminders and trust deposit requests are easily sent out without the need to draft letters individually to the clients. I could go on and on......

Cons:

Hard to complain about much with this program. It depends on your needs. For me there are still some features I am used to from my server based program that are not availableyet in this cloud based software, but there are lots of things in the works. It seems each month a new feature is released that I had learned to live without or work around. The things I am missing right now are invoices saved automatically to a matter in a hard pdf when initially generated. The original invoice cannot be recreated unless you physically print or save a downloaded copy at the time they are generated.

Tiffany
Law Practice, Self Employed

CosmoLex is a one-stop shop

Comments: My overall experience with CosmoLex has been positive. I like that it is one product for Law Practice Management and Accounting with one price for all features.

Pros:

The accounting software in CosmoLex helps me reconcile my trust account, operating account, and credit cards. The accounting software also helps me provide proper reports for tax purposes. CosmoLex makes case management easy and integrates well with Microsoft Office 365.

Cons:

It takes a bit of effort to create document templates and intake forms. The creation of the intake forms has limitations on the amount of characters you may use as a name for a text box. Also, when creating intake forms, certain blocks on the forms will move to different places and have to be manually adjusted to get them to the right place.

Tony
Managing Attorney in US

CosmoLex Review

Comments: I'm not sure that it's changed anything, since I started out with cloud based services, but it's better than Clio because it doesn't screw up in a major fashion once a quarter or more.

Pros:

Stability, integrated accounting, and better support staff. I used Clio for a couple years at my last firm, and I have zero intention of switching back.

Cons:

The UI is not exactly intuitive. The search functionality, while robust, is also a bit awkward. Certain things that seem like they might be no-brainer search field options aren't present, and certain items that I would expect to be heavily used by most users aren't as quickly and easily accessed as I would like (for example - the calendar, in my opinion, deserves its own direct access sidebar button).

Tiffany
Paralegal in US

Great Product

Comments: Great experience so far!

Pros:

Cosmolex is extremely user friendly and I love the help videos!

Cons:

I have not found anything I would say I liked "least" about Cosmolex.

Wendy
Office Manger/Bookkeeper in US

Cosmolex

Comments: Everyday I learn more with Cosmolex. At first it is kind of confusing but once you learn how to use all the benefits it becomes easier.

Pros:

The Pros with Cosmolex is once you learn all the features it is really easy to work with. I believe with entering the money portion on Cosmolex has been easier than any other system.

Cons:

The cons were getting use to usisng Cosmolex. After you go through the webinars they have and learning videos it becomes easier to work with. There is always someone available to actually help you if you do have a question about anything if the teaching videos do not help in figure out your issue.

Christine
Attorney /Owner in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Easy and Complete Legal Accounting Software.

Comments: I am collecting fees and costs more easily and without having to see the client or talk to them on the phone. They can pay directly through their invoice or reminder emails sent by the program. Same for the trust retainer. Links are easily sent to clients to deposit directly to trust. The program makes the accounting entries for you on in the general ledger and the bank accounts.

Pros:

It does both front and back office capabilities. It is easy to access everything about a client. All time, billing and any other information needing to be entered is in one software application. No need to have Quick Books and some other legal software. Invoicing is easy to facilitate and clients can pay through links on the invoices. This program interacts with Microsoft Office, Outlook, Google, LawPay and many others.

Cons:

There are some reporting functions that are not yet available. This program still does not have a function for collecting Judgments on behalf of clients.

Herbert
attorney/president in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Cosmolex is the best solution for a small law office.

Comments: Time keeping, calendar, scheduling and accounting.

Pros:

Cloud based; access from anywhere. I can access my calendar from an iPad or iPhone.

Cons:

Some reports are not intuitive. But the knowledge base is easily accessed and will answer most questions.

5 years ago

Thanks for your feedback, Herbert! It's great to hear that you're enjoying the flexibility of the cloud. If you ever need help from our support team, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Katrina
Lawyer in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

The switchover was a challenge, but I am very pleased that we did this!

Comments: Very positive.... and sooo much better than the primary competitor in the Canadian market. The cost is a little high (particularly for licenses for support staff who are only using the software for a few minutes every day).

Pros:

Web based; Ease of use right from the start; Excellent training tools; Excellent customer service; Most of my clients really appreciate the customer portal - I expect that as my clients are, as a group, more inclined to use technology to manage their legal affairs, they will be using it more. The reconciliation of trust accounts with the option to simply download and compare entries is very simple and helpful.

Cons:

Some of the more advance functionalities still need work. As an example, we still haven't figured out how to create several template invoices for fixed rate matters (the fixed rate will vary based on the type of matter); there have also been some challenges with the coding of our letterhead (which works fine in a Word document) so we have had to use a work-around.

Kyle
Office Manager and Law Clerk in Canada

Best User Friendly Interface

Comments: I have a great experience with the program and use it most of the day every day.

Pros:

I appreciate most the ability to correct errors in accounting when they are noticed and the integration with the trust account.

Cons:

Some of the deep user options are difficult to find but this is necessary with the level of customization allowed.

4 years ago

Thank you for your review, Kyle! Your honest feedback regarding our accounting functionality is sincerely appreciated. We've spent countless hours working on our accounting features to make sure we provide everything you need in a single platform and to eliminate compliance worries, and continue to develop its functionality every day.

Talon
Legal Services, 2–10 Employees

Switched from PC Law in December of 2019 and never looked back.

Pros:

Integration with other software is key to its value.

Cons:

As they roll out new features, I sometimes encounter bugs. They've got a great response time and great customer service though when that happens.

Robert
Principal Owner in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

The ideal system for my purposes

Pros:

Cosmolex is a web based system that gives me full flexibility of where I work and on what device I access my data. Moreover, the fact that Cosmolex is a fully integrated billing, accounting and trust accounting system makes it the ideal system form my purposes

Cons:

I would like to see a more robust program for the migration of all of my prior accounting data - at least for the current C/Y of conversion so that I will have a full. accurate and consistently organized set of reports to submit to may accountant at year end. I would also like the migration to cover all of the detail for all of my Trust Accounts from day one forward to date of conversion to Cosmolex. This will facilitate any and all client or other audits of each Trust Account

7 years ago

Hi Robert. Thank you for your review and feedback. In regards to your note about migration. Financial Migration is never an 'easy' process. While most firms choose to migrate balances from a particular cut off date (we supply many automated tools to assist with that), you absolutely can migrate all previous transaction history. For your taxes, the current tax year is most relevant, but for your trust account you may wish to import past history. That does require additional time and labor, and cost if outsourced, but it is definitely doable. Any questions, please let me know.

Ed
Lawyer in US

Essential

Comments: Again, it's essential to my practice, and the built-in accounting is fantastic.

Pros:

I was reluctant to subscribe to a practice management solution, but now can't envision getting along without it. It has everything I need from time tracking to accounting right at my fingertips.

Cons:

I occasionally run into accounting difficulties in terms of writing off charges or editing past transactions, but I'm not sure that's a drawback of CosmoLex as much as it is my ignorance of accounting best practices.