15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Gist

Single source of truth for your contacts with live chat, help desk, knowledge base, email marketing automation, and more.

Learn more about Gist

Gist ratings

4.5
4.7
4.6
4.7

8.9/10

Gist has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 148 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Gist before?

Christopher
Christopher
Author, Digital Marketer in US
Publishing, 2–10 Employees

SLICK Messenger Bot + Full Email Automation

Comments: Been using Gist for years now--replaced Active Campaign for me--and I'm able to do all the same things with a messenger bot, too!

Pros:

Gist's messenger bot is very powerful and you're able to put it on your website as well as all your subdomains. It's become the #1 way my visitors prefer to interact with me. I had no idea how much interaction I was missing until I installed it. Then add full email marketing and you're really flying!

Cons:

Gist is working to improve their speed through the browser. I wish the free plan allowed for use of webhooks like the paid plans do. But $29/mo isn't bad!

Dakotah
Co-Founder in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Great CRM that is both simple, but powerful

Pros:

Gist has been essential to allow us to build processes, categorize leads, and manage interactions with our clients. We started to implement it as we wanted a good overall solution for the platform and kept using it for the last two years for the business. The leads trackers is super basic, but that simplicity worked for us to track the different lanes and statues of our clients and their projects. The chat bot was by far the most affordable option for us, and allowed our customers to simply reach out anytime they had a question.We did have a few questions for them a few times, and their customer support was a bit slow due to timezones, but they were always able to get to the bottom of the issue.

Cons:

Gist's platform has become a bit bloated making it hard to find certain options until you get familiar with how it works. Most of the settings are intuitive, but there are many times when you think a setting should be in one place, and it is in a submenu somewhere else. Not too bad once you get used to it, but after using it for a while, you do get a feel for how it is organized.Also, some of the tools are not super intuitive to setup and integrate with your existing solutions. They do support Zapier, but that requires a Zapier subscription to master the implementation.

William
owner in Iceland
Broadcast Media, Self Employed

+6 months I asked to have my billing information removed...

Comments: After I had this experience with the emails I told them to delete my billing information as I didn't want to be charged another $200 in December when the addons I purchased were due to renew. Its been 6 months and I just took matters into my own hands. I had to add a prepaid gift card to the billing info, switch the default card to this junk gift card. After this I could finally delete my actual credit card. I was not going to fight them on a chargeback this december. This companies support has really become crap like the rest of their services.

Pros:

The idea of using this software to run a ton of other things was very appealing, but it fell way short of this goal, left me very disapointed.

Cons:

I received emails telling me that my ability to send emails was suspended for sending spam. I was not sending spam, and somehow the double optin email form I had on the site was the only thing sending out emails. So on 2-3 different occasions I had my account suspended for spam I wasn't sending out. They always verified that I wasn't sending out anything and quickly restored my access. Then the time when I actually did have something to send, I had a page that was only viewable if you had a password that was given out on a business card. If you entered your email there, it would send you out something very specific for a hiring event I was trying to do. This flagged my email again as spam. Again a password protected page with a double optin, and my legit emails were flagged as spam. It was too much.

Aaron
CTO in Mexico
Automotive, 2–10 Employees

Elevating Team Synergy and Customer Engagement to New Heights!

Pros:

I liked Gist's seamless integration of communication, collaboration, and automation features in one platform, providing a comprehensive solution for our team's needs.

Cons:

While Gist is generally impressive, one area for improvement is the learning curve for advanced features, which could be more user-friendly for new adopters. Also I want to see a WhatsApp integration.

Oliver
Oliver
SEO Strategist in Australia
Financial Services Software, 51–200 Employees

Gist is a powerhouse in the making

Pros:

The fact that EDMs, transactional emails, support chat, bots and knowledgebase features are all in the one place, connected by automation triggers and workflows is very useful. The scope of personalisation you can achieve by combining all these elements on top of a single user database which includes user behaviour is powerful.

Cons:

Some features a still underdeveloped such as the pop-ups, but I do see the Gist team making steady progress and am sure these items will be developed.

Dan
Dan
Founder in US
Media Production, Self Employed

Great set of features, replaces a handful of other services

Comments: I'm using Gist in a SaaS product to welcome and on-board new users and to send new feature emails. Also using automations to trigger messages based on certain user actions.. Users of Intercom will likely see a cost reduction by switching to Gist, and also get a handful of other integrated features included too.

Pros:

The integration of all the features is killer. Contacts, leads, marketing emails, automation emails, knowledge base, all tie together really well. The UI is nicely laid out and easy to use. As is the APPI, if you need to dive that deep. Well thought and full featured.

Cons:

I had a couple of issues importing contacts from my app but the support team sorted me out in a few minutes. I'd also like to see some more backend integrations, like a Ruby gem for Rails applications.

Dev
Dev
CEO in India
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

A very promising Marketing Automation platform

Comments: If you are considering marketing automation, Gist will fit in well. It really streamlined my entire customer journey right from traffic stage to customer stage

Pros:

Using Gist for: a) Live Chat b) Forms c) Email Sequences d) Event Tracking e) Help Desk It is handling our entire marketing automation needs Loved these features: Visual Workflow designer Live Chat performance and appearance Email Deliverability

Cons:

No cons as such. They need more maturity and time to be comparable with Intercom

Kejda
Kejda
Founder in US
Cosmetics, 2–10 Employees

Get the Gist: one tool to rule them all

Comments: Very good, waiting for them to put some more finishing touches to WooCommerce integration. But already very useful and support is outstanding.

Pros:

How it rolls multiple need to have tools into one: customer support, lead gen, lead nurture, marketing automation for both email and FB retargeting. Great UI and professional chatbot / LiveChat solution on the front and back end. I love the unified inbox feature too.

Cons:

The extent of its integration with WooCommerce. Can't send proper cart abandonment emails because so far it can't generate an abandoned cart link. They're working on it though. I also don't love the extent / clarity of documentation for the automation features. A lot of power under the hood but to use very complex automations you need to ask support to clarify how various triggers / conditions work. On the flip side support is great at doing this and will help you out almost immediately.

Jordan
Jordan
Co-Founder in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Gist is Awesome!

Comments: We've used the webchat feature to streamline our inbound marketing & answer customer-service queries. Been fantastic! We can't wait to dive in more to some of the other tools they offer.

Pros:

Love the chat feature. Everything works well, notifications are reliable, works great!

Cons:

Can't really say I dislike anything... Honestly they have so much more (than just chat) at our disposal that we need to implement! Haven't gotten around to it yet.

Anca
Anca
Customer Success Specialist in Romania
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Great for daily support

Comments: Overall, our experience is a great one. Issues have always been solved quickly and effectively.

Pros:

I love how easy it is to assign conversations to team members. It's easy to snooze conversations while waiting on a resolution, without forgetting about them.

Cons:

I'd really love to also have a pending indefinitely feature, especially for cases when the resolution depends on other teams, so there's no ETA.

James
Website Owner in Australia
Building Materials, Self Employed

Software for any small website owner to engage your contacts

Comments: My experience with the software has been very positive. Some portions take a little work to setup and get used to, but that's like learning anything brand new really. Within days I had the whole system setup and working with little effort. The support team are very responsive and assist when required. A good experience and definitely worth checking out if you're a small to medium-sized business website owner.

Pros:

I'm using Gist for my WordPress website to engage my website audience. I'm a one-man band and required an integrated marketing automation tool to welcome any new visitors to my website. I use it across my whole website and I personally control and run it by myself. It basically simplifies the initial welcome step in my business and assists me in targeting my potential customers. The best part about Gist is that it is scaleable. As my small website grows, I can scale with the number of contacts in the database, and at the same time have access to all their advanced features.

Cons:

I would say that the hardest thing/ least liked about it is that it took a little time to setup originally. Coming from a non-technical background it was a little hard to get used to at the start, but I quickly picked it up thanks to their support team.

Ivan
Manager in Malaysia
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

Best all in 1 Marketing Automation Solution Ever!

Comments: One of the best experience I ever had

Pros:

I just love Gist's chatbot integrations with other applications. Seems like Gist has gone a long way from then. They now have tons of 3rd party integrations supporting them. Gist saves my time and money as now I do not have to own multiple applications and Gist solves half of my business pain points within 1 single platform.

Cons:

You need to start building your email trust to grow your number of sends through time. The system will take multiple considerations such as bounce rate and opens to avoid spam. I believe if you are sending legit emails as a new client, you would do just fine. Understandable as Gist needs to keep their email deliverability clean on a global scale.

Director in Australia
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Gist- The Perfect Sofware for any Service Related busines

Comments: I am very happy with my Gist experience so far and rhey have been receptive to my ideas in the past with different features or how to streamline then to create a better user experience.

Pros:

The chat box on Gist is by far my favorite Gist feature. Being able to talk with potential clients instantly via the Gist chat box i have on my sites makes communication far easier than endless email chains.

Cons:

When gist first launched as Convert Fox they didn't have that many products or features, just mainly an email autoresponder. They have come a long way since then.

Martin
Owner in India
Research, 2–10 Employees

Replaces several other tools

Comments: I like the software and use it daily. It's no-nonsense approach has helped me to focus on leads.

Pros:

I like the approach of integrating chat, email and other tools, geared towards lead generation. The software is easy to use, yet has enough options to customize.

Cons:

Of course there are limitations if you opt to use a software that want to be a "one stop shop". Probably Zendesk, Zopim (now Zendesk Chat) and Mailchimp perform better on its own turf. However then you have to use something like zapier to integrate and that makes things complicated.

Ura
Owner in US
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Great Customer Service

Comments: My overall experience with Gist is great! The service is what keeps me as their loyal customer.

Pros:

Having the ability to have an email list to communicate to my audience, The ease of setting up with customer service. The community is awesome! It's a place to share learning. Having the ability to communicate to website visitors from through chat.

Cons:

There's a learning curve. In the beginning, learning how to set up campaigns were difficult. The opt-in forms are not easy to customize for my brand.

Bruno
Founder in France
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Gist is an All-In-One solution for the needs behind a website

Comments: I was looking for a solution for the backend scripts behind our website, mailings. I was one of the first adopters of the system. My goal was to have a good reason not to do it ourselves or stay behind trends. The team of Gist kept delivering more value with more features. They became an inspiration on marketing tools and practice. For example I discovered the liveview feature, now I'm thinking how to use it for better understanding of our audience.

Pros:

Chatbox widget, that was my initial requirement Forms and contact database Ability to add attributes to contact database API to connect with our scripts

Cons:

I wished the customization of the look and feel be more comprehensive.

Jorge
CMO in Mexico
Financial Services Software, 2–10 Employees

Affordable price for Essential Marketing Tools

Pros:

The focus they give to email marketing with a very popular concept. The Live Chat Bubble.

Cons:

Slowly integrating with popular software platforms.

Chief Information Officer in UK
Professional Training & Coaching, 2–10 Employees

A fantastic team, committed to the product - already great and getting better every day!

Comments: Live chat allows us to understand where our customers need help, when they may not have reached out through other methods. Automation allows us to communicate better without a large investment of time.

Pros:

I primarily purchased Gist for live chat, and it does that really well. The chat interface is clear, simple and great looking for the end user and makes chat management really straightforward for the organisation. What was a real bonus for me is the work the team has put in around marketing automation, email and rules. Being able to schedule emails to be sent based upon user actions is a game changer (the user does not need to have engaged in live chat and the system for defining these actions is really flexible). It's a great tool - and one of the most promising that I've seen - but what really stands out is that the team behind it are a great bunch of people. They're really good on live chat (as you would hope!) and you do get to know them individually. They really care about delivering the best experience possible and the pace they are moving at with new features is admirable. It is that, above everything else, that gave me the confidence to go live with a deployment on our primary business website. I'm a very happy customer.

Cons:

If there is one dislike, it's simply that there is so much (extra) promise in the tool but I can't have it all now! ;-) They are a young company, relatively, so there are still features which I would love to have (better notifications on stale chats, better handling of "out of hours", more automation features) but those are small things and it's the confidence that these things will come quickly that makes this a non-issue. The team really listen and act on feedback, so that's a massive bonus. I'd encourage you to get on-board at this stage. The tool is ready for prime-time use, and you have a real opportunity to actually shape the way it develops that you just wouldn't get with a more established tool.

Jason
CEO in US
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Gist helps convert leads into customers!

Pros:

We primarily use Gist as a live chat tool on our website and have received very high user engagement with it. We love that even if our users don't enter their email address, Gist is often able to identify the lead that has reached out to us and we are able to follow up with them directly through Gist. It's been a really helpful tool for turning leads into customers!

Cons:

Gist has so many powerful features that I know I'm underutilizing it. We're a small startup, and I haven't taken the time to review all of the functionality they offer and how it would very likely help our business. Nonetheless, we get so much value out of what we are using that it is totally worth using as is.

Borhan
Event Planning in US
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Exceptional service from Gist

Pros:

The fact that it combines all the features I was already using on different platforms into one is what I like most about Gist. Email marketing, Social Media connect with customers, contact forms, and live chat all-in-one is the big feature I like most.

Cons:

Everything is great about Gist. One area to improve would be to work with Ticket Tailor in collecting emails from customers who have made a purchase.

NaveenKumar
NaveenKumar
Performance Test Lead in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Convert Visitors to Customers with Gist

Comments: Its been very useful solution for all marketing needs.

Pros:

Easy to setup, clean user interface, excellent customer support, help documents, and the automation flows helps my visitors to connect with me. Chat user interface, mobile apps, drip campaigns are easy to implement and manage.

Cons:

More subscribers needs more investment. I wish the pop-up templates are more. No RSS to email feature.

Larry
Manager in Malaysia
Retail, 11–50 Employees

Gist: A very hardworking platform that listens to customers and constantly innovates and excels

Comments: Very good and they are always supportive via live chats.

Pros:

Live chat (with integration to FB Messenger), Email marketing, Live tracking.

Cons:

Steep learning curve especially workflow.

Cosmetics, 2–10 Employees

Powerful and affordable CRM

Pros:

It offer a lot of feature that a business needs: live chat, customer support, email marketing, automation workflow... The price is very affordable (with me it's no-brain).

Cons:

Gist doesn't have the embedded form so I cannot integrate with my landing page to capture leads.

CEO and Co-Founder in Australia
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Great balance of features and simplicity

Comments: We got twice as many drip campaigns going.

Pros:

So easy to set up and get Drip Campaigns working.

Cons:

Lack of some Drip Email features such as BCC.

Jimmy
CEO in Indonesia
Human Resources, 11–50 Employees

One of the best marketing tools for your business

Comments: I have been using Gist on my main site to handle incoming chats for more than 2 years. And to my experience, Gist has been very helpful by improving and adding more features (slowly but surely). Currently it is one of the best marketing tools in my arsenal, and I am a happy user of Gist (previously Converfox)

Pros:

1. Complete features from Chat Bot, Live Chat, Email Marketing Automation, Knowledge Base and more 2. Easy to use 3. Reliable

Cons:

Chat Bot (or Bot Assistant) can be improved to the industry standard.