15 years helping Canadian businesses

Canada Local product

About Soluno

Cloud-based and designed for law firms: Soluno is a powerful, easy-to-use time, billing, accounting, trust and reporting software.

Learn more about Soluno

Pros:

It's easy to learn and use and is cloud based. Integrates with NetDocuments.

Cons:

I find it difficult to maneuver between the different features.

Soluno ratings

4.3
4.6
4.2
4.4

8.7/10

Soluno has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 101 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Soluno before?

Barry
Barry
Lawyer in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Soluno has revolutionized our firm management and accounting

Comments: Everything in our experience has been top-notch and a dramatic difference from Thomson Reuters, a massively larger company than Devlos. From our first interaction with their sales force, to onboarding and importation of data, to making feature requests that are actually acted upon, the experience has been 100% positive.

Pros:

Soluno has the best of both worlds – the law firm business intelligence of a mature product like PCLaw with the freedom and convenience of a browser-based solution. I love everything about it. Here are the top reasons you should switch to Soluno too: 1) it has a well-designed user interface that is intuitive but powerful; 2) it is a sophisticated platform with billing and accounting made for attorneys, not something generic like QuickBooks that is a poor fit for lawyers; 3) incredible, fine-grained reporting on every metric you could imagine for timekeepers, firm performance and accounting; 4) surprisingly snappy performance that will convince you the server is in your office; 5) wonderful, attentive customer service, including listening to feature requests and acting on them quickly; and 6) free (depending on firm size) importation of data from our previous system. In our previous system (Firm Central + QuickBooks Online), posting a payment required five manual steps in two systems. In Soluno, it’s one step that’s lightning quick and will save us considerable time and hassle.

Cons:

The only thing I’ve noticed is that there isn’t much of an online help utility, but there is a customer support widget in the corner for live chat support that is quite responsive.

4 years ago

Hi Barry - we are so grateful for these kind words! Our team values making sure our clients feel heard and supported and we're so happy to read that our efforts have had an impact. We're excited to continue working alongside your firm and keep the revolution going!

Nicole
Office Manager in Canada

Easy Implementation and Great Support Team

Pros:

The conversion and implementation was easy and faster than expected. Overall the software works great and our lawyers find it simple to use, including when working remotely. We had a smooth transition from our old system to Soluno without missing a beat, all of our files and their settings and history carried over so there was only a short "downtime" during the conversion. But most of all, the support team have been amazing both for the initial setup and in providing continuing support, answering questions, and finding custom solutions to meet our unique needs.

Cons:

There is some online documentation for the bigger features but there are also a lot of settings that are not covered in the how-to documents. It would be better if more documentation were available. Also, it might just be my computer but some features (payables, reports) don't work quite right in Firefox although they work fine in the Edge browser. Reports generate their totals/summaries at the bottom, so often you have to scroll a long way down to get to the totals you want to see - it's missing a "totals only" setting to prevent that.

Alternatives Considered: GhostPractice , LEAP , Clio and ESILAW 360

Reasons for Choosing Soluno: We were unhappy with our previous accounting software, because (among other reasons) it was not friendly when working remotely.

Switched From: PCLaw

Reasons for Switching to Soluno: The biggest deciding factor vs the other options was that Soluno allowed us to bring over our entire full docket history, including previously invoiced dockets, so that the entire billing history for each file is viewable in Soluno. This means we don't have to go back and consult our old accounting system to locate dockets and invoices from years ago. It was also important that Soluno handles all our accounting without needing an additional QuickBooks integration. The fact that many features, functions and reports in PCLaw are analogous to PCLaw also made the learning curve easy.

Agustina
Owner in Canada
Accounting Software, Self Employed

Customer service

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Customer service is Exceptional. I have had couple of clients using this Accounting software and it is very easy to use. I am more used to Oracle software which has a more complex mechanism. I like Soluno and will recommend to any legal firm looking for Accounting software.

Pros:

Soluno is very simple to use, I am an Accountant and find it very user-friendly. I will say that the platform is well organized and allows users to do Accounting without too much knowledge. When transitioning one of my clients, I had the opportunity to interact with many customer service representatives. I want to make sure you recognize the Exceptional customer service of [sensitive content hidden] . [sensitive content hidden] went beyond her duties and helped me find solutions to the issues we were having when doing our 1st bank reconciliation. Please let [sensitive content hidden] know that she is very good at customer service. She is friendly and listens to the needs of our company. :)

Cons:

I wish financial statement will have more drilling capabilities. This will allow analysis of expenses more practical.

Tamara
Legal Assistant in Canada
Law Practice, 11–50 Employees

Still getting used to it

Comments: The transition to soluno has been a struggle

Pros:

I enjoy using the feature of selecting multiple invoices or dockets individually or all at once. Huge time saver in that regard.

Cons:

I still do not understand an easy way to see a client's payment history

7 months ago

Hi Tamara, Thanks for taking the time to review Soluno. We're sorry the transition has not yet met your expectations. If you could please contact us at [email protected] we would love to talk to you further about your experience and how we can improve. With regard to seeing a client's payment history, it can also be found in two locations: 1) On the ledger: navigate to Views/Reports > Contact > Ledger > Client Ledger View 2) On the payment allocation listing: navigate to Views/Reports > Receivables > Payments > Payment Allocation Listing. If these views are not available to you, then you will need an administrator to grant you the proper security access. We hope that this helps. Please follow up with [email protected] with any other questions! All the best, Your Soluno Team

Dan
IT Director in Canada
Legal Services, 51–200 Employees

Converted to soluno

Comments: they have been bought by a parent company but has retained their main Canadian staff members, have been though 2 year ends with the software and needed to contact our main point each time to ensure we were using the correct reports. possibly just need to get these long term reports working or had slight changes due to process changes/updates during the year, but they worked with us to make sure we had our complex compensation reports run each year.

Pros:

Conversion process is easy, making sure you have a consultant and soluno staff available to assist was very helpful getting us up and running smoothly.

Cons:

the level of customizability needs intervention by soluno dev/staff, but this might just be cloud software vs on prem.

Joanne
Bookkeeper in Canada
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

Trust Accounting

Comments: I have been a PC Law user for 20+ years and this program comes close to that but not quite there yet. I do know however that Soluno tech team is always working on advancements

Pros:

I enjoy the ease of the program I liked that it was full accounting program

Cons:

I would like to have more than one window open at a time I would like to be able to pull a GL report with multiple GL's and I would like to be able to pull a billing report that is separated and totaled by each type of law (dept)

Alternatives Considered: LEAP

Reasons for Choosing Soluno: PC Law had raised their rates quite a bit and I had heard that they are phasing out and we were not happy with their alternative LEAP as it is not a full function accounting program such as Soluno is.

Switched From: Time Matters

Reasons for Switching to Soluno: Full accounting program whereas LEAP was just the trust accounting and then you would need to use QBO for general and financial reports

7 months ago

Hi Joanne, We really appreciate you taking the time to review Soluno! We love to hear that it is serving your needs. We have passed your suggestions regarding reports on to our team. Thank you so much for trusting us with your bookkeeping! Your Soluno Team

KIM
BOOKKEEPER in Canada

BEST EXPERIENCE EVER!

Comments: I LOVE SOLUNO FOR ACCOUNTING FOR OUR FIRM.

Pros:

I love [sensitive content hidden] and all of the help staff. After 43 years in business, I can honestly say this is the best service I've ever received.

Cons:

Printing is somewhat cumbersome with too many clicks on buttons.

Alternatives Considered: Leap

Reasons for Choosing Soluno: PCLAW HAD FLAWS THAT POSTED HALF ENTRIES TOO OFTEN AND I COULD NOT BALANCE RECEIVABLES, PAYABLES, SUBLEDGERS AND HST TO GENERAL LEDGER. PCLAW AS A NIGHTMARE TO WORK WITH.

Switched From: PCLaw

Reasons for Switching to Soluno: SOLUNO WAS RECOMMENDED BY ANOTHER LEGAL FIRM AND EVERYTHING WAS EXPLAINED IN DETAIL BY YOUR SALESPERSON.

Jayne
Associate in US

Accounting Made Easy for Legal Practice

Comments: Since we started with Soluno earlier this year, I have found it very easy to use, have greatly appreciated the customer service and ability to chat Soluno representatives, and the training materials available online to learn different features and functions.

Pros:

Soluno's interface and ease of use is intuitive and user friendly, especially to people without a specific accounting background.

Cons:

I understand a new feature is being rolled out (which I would love) that would allow users to create a template for certain vendors (such as with different prefilled subcategories).

Kayleigh
Firm Administrator in Canada
Law Practice, 11–50 Employees

Soluno is a great step forward in legal management and accounting

Pros:

It is very user friendly and has streamlined training and accounting for us.

Cons:

There have been a few glitched, as with any new software.

Alternatives Considered: Clio

Reasons for Switching to Soluno: Best functionality for our practice and better reputation.

AVRAHAM
partner in US

soluno for law firms

Pros:

it is an easy and accurate way to keep track of your time and hte reports it generates are very helpful

Cons:

the tracking of expenses is not as easy or intuitive as the time management program.

Ed
Controller in US
Law Practice, 11–50 Employees

Soluno was a good choice for our firm

Comments: We had been users of PCLaw for many years, but the current state of that program was too uncertain for us to continue. Soluno did everything for us that PCLaw did and it did it without crashing or locking up. Soluno is also a more modern product. The look and feel is of a much newer program and it operates like a much newer product.

Pros:

The conversion from PCLaw was all done by the folks at Soluno at no cost to us. I have dealt with data conversions before and this was a huge factor in our decision. Customer support is also second to none. They are very responsive and frequently you can talk directly to the programmers. Very simple to use and fairly intuitive. This program can either be installed locally or on the cloud. We already had the hardware in place, so we chose to install locally. If we choose to switch to the cloud at a later date, it is literally a very quick process. This flexibility was also a major factor in our decision.

Cons:

The reports cannot be customized which is a disappointment. You can export any of the reports to Excel, so it isn't too difficult to get the data you want, but some customization would be nice. This program is fairly young, so improvements are coming at a rapid pace. If you are looking for a completely mature product, then this may not be for you. However, they are very responsive to users suggestions and many suggestions become reality in future releases.

Alternatives Considered: CosmoLex

Reasons for Choosing Soluno: PCLaw has become unreliable and very dated.

Reasons for Switching to Soluno: Reasons stated above.

Nadia
Office Manager in Canada
Legal Services, 2–10 Employees

Easy to use

Comments: Definitely time saving for the lawyers.

Pros:

The lawyers at the firm like the ease of docketing - easy to find file numbers, docket and save. I like the integration with Netdocuments to open files.

Cons:

Reporting needs improvement and certain billing features need improvement.

Alternatives Considered: Clio

Reasons for Choosing Soluno: It was getting too expensive.

Reasons for Switching to Soluno: We liked the integrations and platform

Krista
Lawyer in Canada

Soluno for Small Firms

Comments: I opened my practice as a sole practitioner, with Soluno, approximately 1 year ago. We are building and growing together. It's been a fantastic experience working with their Team. They are keen to support their clients in any way possible. I am very glad I made the choice to work with Soluno.

Pros:

The customer service team at Soluno is fantastic! They are ALWAYS keen to assist and resolve any issues as they arise. I really enjoy that Soluno is developing and growing with its lawyer clients, listening to what we really want and working to implement those solutions. The system is easy to use and navigate and errors are easily corrected.

Cons:

There are things that are glitchy sometimes as they continue to build and develop. Customer service is VERY responsive, but some issues are more of an annoyance that shouldn't happen in the first place.

5 years ago

Hi Krista, thank you for your kind words. Working with your practice is an absolute pleasure; we take pride in our support team and so we're thrilled that you find it beneficial. We are always working towards fixing any glitches in our system, and with your feedback and our recent optimizations, Soluno is more reliable and stable than ever. We're excited to continue assisting your firm in the future!

Karen
Law Clerk in Canada

Easy to use

Comments: Overall, I am glad our firm made the switch. Change can sometimes be difficult but once you get used to using Soluno you realize it was the best idea and everything then comes easy.

Pros:

What I like most about Soluno is the ease of use. The program is very user friendly. It makes keep track of your time and dockets very seamless and quick. I also really appreciate the fact that there is an automatic spell check on all your entries.I also like how easy it is to access all client information including trust balances, in just one click.

Cons:

There isn't too much that I dislike about the program. If I had to pick something it would be in regards to billing. Sometimes the program takes a while to produce PDF statements. I wish that if you looked at your draft statement as a PDF you could just make the corrections/changes directly on the PDF. Also when reviewing statements, It is quite inconvenient when you make a correction but it goes back to the top of the list so you have to search for where you left off.

Raymond
Attorney in US

bvm

Comments: Good

Pros:

Reliability

Cons:

Billing function not that user friendly

Nancy
Office Manager/Accounting in US
Legal Services, 11–50 Employees

Comments: Generally, the product is well integrated. You can move from one module from another quickly and easily. It is logical and responsive. I can review a client ledger, for example, run a prebill and finalize it, all with a couple of keystrokes.

Pros:

Conversion was seamless; the product is generally user friendly; it is Cloud based so it is accessible from anywhere; its features are constantly being updated.

Cons:

Reports cannot currently be customized other than to export to excel. There is a delay at times while multiple transactions are processing.

Elynne
Paralegal in Canada
Legal Services, 2–10 Employees

Review for Daily Use as a Paralegal

Pros:

How the system asks you if the cheque was printed properly in case there is an error.

Cons:

Opening client ledgers or fee ledgers results in an error code sometimes. If I make a bunch of time postings on the wrong date, I cannot change the date posted, in the calendar, resulting in me having to individually go into each matter under file manager, then fee ledger to change the date, and that takes up a lot of time. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] has noted it is not easy to figure out how to get reports or paste reviews of files/time postings.

Elizabeth
Partner in US

Great Program - Easy transition from PC Law

Comments: Very good.

Pros:

Soluno is a great program for our firm, which is a small law firm specializing in IP prosecution. Client/matter generation, time entry and billing are all easy to manage. Integration with Netdocuments is great. The accounting and reporting features are also good. The transition from PC Law to Soluno was seamless and required very little effort or training.

Cons:

Expensive compared to some other programs. The two factor authentication does not remember a user so must be entered every time the program is opened, even if it was just done a few minutes ago.

Nicholas
Professor in Canada
E-Learning, 5,001–10,000 Employees

STEP (Soluno Tech Education Program) - Soluno in a College Training environment

Comments: Soluno has been a godsend for our law clerk students. It offers everything we were hoping for in a legal accounting package to train our students on. It can handle everything from the basics of legal accounting to the most advanced tasks while offering robust reporting with superb customization options. Soluno also offers excellent integration options with Microsoft Office apps/services such as Outlook and we have had tremendous success incorporating these integrations with our curriculum. Overall, Soluno is one of the best software-as-a-service (cloud based) products I have ever worked with. I cannot recommend it more highly!

Pros:

Soluno is a joy to use for many reasons: it has an extremely intuitive interface that allows users to get to what they need to do quickly and surfaces all the features they need to get their work done. My students quickly learn how to do things in Soluno and sing it's praises constantly when completing their work!

Cons:

So far I have not found Soluno lacking in any area.

2 years ago

Hi Nicholas, Thank you so much for taking time to review Soluno! We are delighted to hear about your experience with the product and with the STEP program. We are excited to continue working with you and providing value to you and your students in the future.

Kendra
Lawyer in Canada
Law Practice, 51–200 Employees

Does the job

Pros:

It is easy to track and edit time entries. I appreciate the feature that allows you to review and edit bills before they are generated.

Cons:

It is difficult to find information about which disbursements have been uploaded to files, undo old invoices, and see what has been deposited into trust.

Walter
Attorney in US

Review of Soluno

Comments: Fine. It's much more that what we are paying. I do experience issues with logging in. It's a persistent glitch where it indicates the code sent via SMS is not invalid despite being entered correctly. I then need to have the admin unlock my account.

Pros:

Ease of searching for files by a number of different inputs

Cons:

Unable to change the date of entries while viewing them in the heatmap

john
attorney/partner in US

HLS review

Pros:

The time keeping is great. Easy for individual time keepers to enter and edit time and descriptions

Cons:

I find it difficult to maneuver between the different features. Since I mostly use it to keep time it doesn't bother me too much but when I have to check expenses or balances I can't easily get back to where I wnat to be.

Elizabeth
Administrative Assistant in Canada
Law Practice, 11–50 Employees

Functional, Reliable tool but requires some minor updates to improve.

Comments: I am still new to Soluno but am overall impressed by how functionable, and useful this tool is for tracking files and information needed. I think there are a few fixes that could make this even better as it does have a lot of potential.

Pros:

I appreciate how Soluno simplifies my time. I find it to be reliable, resourceful, organized and easy to navigate, unlike other software I have used in the past.

Cons:

slow response time, crashes from time-to-time. The biggest issue i have run into with Soluno is the inability to open a client file for two clients together. This ultimately creates confusion when we need contact information etc.

Idan
Partner in Canada
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Soluno is a robust and easy-to-use legal accounting management solution

Comments: We seem to run out of available usage hours, although now that Soluno is automatically logging us out, I'm hopeful this will improve.

Pros:

Time-tracking and billing are easy to manage and made the subject of robust reporting.

Cons:

It is not always easy to identify the name of the correct report, owing to the abundance of options. The licensing of hours per user is a bit opaque.

Megan
Legal Administrative Assistant in Canada

Megan's Review 2023

Pros:

The buttons are easy to locate, the timer for keeping time, quick entry option.

Cons:

The screen often freezes and it would be better if there were more buttons to access different pages.