15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Matter

Employee Recognition, Rewards, and Surveys all in Slack or Microsoft Teams! πŸ’œ

Learn more about Matter

Pros:

Clean and efficient UX and design, allowing ease of use and integration with other tools.

Cons:

It's hard to get everyone on the team to use it.

Matter ratings

4.6

7.8/10

Matter has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 197 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Matter before?

Gustavo
Gustavo
Customer Success Manager in Brazil
Program Development, 11–50 Employees

Great for team feedback

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Great to manifest publicly what the team or individuals accomplished. Usually, teams are not aware of what other teams do, so this is great.

Cons:

The web dashboard is not super intuitive and very few users use it.

Rodrigo Daniel
Rodrigo Daniel
Solution Architect in Mexico
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Kudos are a game changer for a healthier work culture

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I've been a kudos reciever and giver during the last year and a half, and it's a nice way to feel appreciated by your team, to help them feel special because of the connection that Home office lacks. Putting those feelings into words and turning it into a kind of social stream that's commentable and with the ability to add reactions from slack is a very good add-on to everyday work life

Pros:

Giving Kudos help us encourage a culture of recognition in all our collaborators, we have a Feedback Friday instituted, to help everyone recognize a specific type of kudo to their peers

Cons:

It doesn't have a lot of options, kudos is a very simple functionality, maybe adding diversity on additional stuff apart from the kudos types, that only change color and an icon, it could help

Pearson
CTO in US
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

What's the Matter

Comments: Have been frustrated by occasional bugs (those seem to have gotten better) when simply trying to send kudos out to teammates, also not allowing for links in the message (due to it being sent to Slack as an image) is very annoying since I am often trying to link to the good work that somebody has done.

Pros:

I guess I like that it prompts people to leave kudos... but the prompts often go ignored and then they just become sad.

Cons:

Seems like a lot of overhead for something very simple that I don't want to think about.

3 years ago

Thank you for your honest review, Pearson. Being able to add emojis and attaching links with Kudos has been one of our top feature requests. I'd love to find to help troubleshoot any issues with you. Just reply back to this response.

Barbora
COO in Czechia
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Increase an engagement of your employees

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

The way of kudos, with the option to add customized ones and now the possibility to add some coins and receive some rewards later on, is a perfect tool for motivating your colleagues and making our workdays more fun.

Cons:

I would like to see better-structured reports.

Sam
Head Of Engineering in UK
Financial Services Software, 11–50 Employees

Matter is a great bit of kit for team recognition

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Amazing - we love using Matter and people like receiving them

Pros:

We love that we can send recognition about an individual or group of people that everyone can see. Receiving a matter is always a lifting moment of the day.

Cons:

The weekly MVP always feels broken - we can't work it out!

Web Developer in UK
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Awesome recognition tool

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

As a company, we use Matter to show well deserved recognition to our colleagues. This helps boost moral, and show appreciation for each other. We love seeing who is MVP each week.

Cons:

There are no overall cons to Matter, we love using the feedback feature in Slack.

Terra Sue
Program Coordinator in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Amazing product for our Organization!

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: This has been a great product that has brought wonderful benefits to our organization!

Pros:

I like the engagement this brings for our staff. It is so simple to use and makes it fun.

Cons:

I do not have any feedback for what I dislike

CLAUDIA MARIA
FINANCE MANAGER in Mexico
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

MATTER AND ORANGE

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Since the company works with everyone remote, Matter has been a really important tool for us to get everyone closer, recognize their value and their good work every day or week. It also makes us socialize more than if we didnt have it.

Cons:

I think there is anything that I dont like, I even love the gifs they use to invite us to join kudos or so.

Karl
Head of Content and Community in US
Financial Services Software, 11–50 Employees

Nothing but good things to say

5.0 last month New

Pros:

A lot of companies don't do a good job of highlighting the accomplishments and hard work of its individuals. Matter makes doing so easy. The weekly recognition between peers and higher-ups is fast and fun, while giving people the validation they deserve.

Cons:

Nope, I truly have nothing negative to say about my experience.

Ben Israel
Ben Israel
Senior Business Development Representative in US
Real Estate, 51–200 Employees

Matter is great

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Really helps the company have recognition in remote environments

Cons:

Nothing really, it's pretty great! I really like it.

Tasha
Informatics Specialist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Reliable, Innovative Employee Platform

Comments: The problem is employee engagment.

Pros:

I really like how easy the software is to set up and the integration with Slack. Adding additional teammates to the workspace was a breeze and the platform is easy to understand, especially with the walkthroughs. I feel that the feedback on the platform for the employees is easy to post and isolate. Reports also help to see trends. The notifications of new activities are so quick too

Cons:

I much of this platform and there are many fun and new features, however, I did not have an idea wall amongst employees or something that employees could use as a suggestion wall.

3 years ago

Thank you for the kind review, Tasha! Glad to hear the Slack integration is working well with your team.

Mark
Data Professional in UK
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Enabled me to get much higher quality 360 feedback

Comments: I have only been using Matter as an individual user for getting 360 feedback (the original functionality it had in 2020). I have used this to gather feedback in roles since 2020. I am really impressed with this software as an individual. Feedback survey software used in companies (if they use any at all) tends to be generic survey forms with freeform text boxes which are ineffective at encouraging specific feedback. The quality of feedback and how it is reported are excellent. I thoroughly recommend Matter and coworkers who have given me feedback have also adopted it.

Pros:

The skill ontology seems basic at first but it is so useful. It enables you to think of skills you want to develop that you might not have thought of before until you see them as options. The ontology has made me rethink how I approach performance reviews and what skills I want to get feedback on - Matter has really enabled me to own these processes. Once feedback is in it is also clear in reporting to see which skills are highest rated and which ones are worth focusing on for improvement. The form is simple to use and lets people give focused feedback. The prompts that are offered also help to generate feedback and actions. For people who are not used to giving 360 feedback (e.g. people who have just started their careers) it is also intuitive software for them to use. Easy to keep track of responses from coworkers / peers.

Cons:

Custom rating scales, or at least wider scoring than 1 to 5, would be a major improvement. People are prone to give 4 or 5 for ratings so it would be great to have a wider scale (support e.g. 1 to 10, -5 to +5) and custom descriptions of ratings. The limit of 6 personal feedback in history is low - it would be great if this were higher, or restricted to a timeframe like months, when you don't need Unlimited.

3 years ago

We appreciate your positive note, Mark. Feedback should be constructive and actionable. Glad to hear that our research-backed skill ontology is helping you get amazing feedback!

Jacinta
Cyber security analyst in Nigeria
Computer & Network Security, 201–500 Employees

The good side of matter

Comments: Well in as much of the redirections and all it's a great application that aids in communication for organization

Pros:

I like that it's s live application that keeps one updated when tagged

Cons:

I just don't like that it's a web application if it's a standalone app it would have been great

Divi
Intake Specialist in Belize
Law Practice, 201–500 Employees

Recommend Matter

Pros:

The details it provides. You can customize it to whatever information it is you need.

Cons:

To be honest, I don't have anything to say in this section. I like everything.

Erin
Program Manager in US
Philanthropy, 11–50 Employees

Great way to encourage friendly team atmosphere - especially for remote teams!

Pros:

I love the commitment to creating a company culture of recognition, encouragement, and open communication. The app is more or less exclusively positive, making it really easy to give constant/recurring encouragement. Obviously there needs to be room for constructive feedback but to me this app isn't about feedback - it's about recognizing employees for their hard work and building a team that celebrates wins together.

Cons:

It does seem like a team needs to use Slack pretty actively to take advantage of some features; my organization relies on a different platform for messaging and file sharing, so that is a bit disappointing. I hope more integrations are in the future of Matter!

3 years ago

Regular encouragement is so important to build a happier team. We're so happy to hear that your team is using Matter to build a happier and stronger culture. We're hoping to release new integrations beyond Slack in the near future. I'd love to find time to chat to hear what messaging app you're currently using to share with our product team.

Kenton
Designer in India
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

A More Closer Team

Comments: Our overall experience has been positive. The Feedback and recognition system is amazing and allows us to give back to our employees in a good way - emotionally and mentally.

Pros:

The ability to recognize qualities (good or bad) about yourself you didn't know and give feedback to others about themselves and where they lack.

Cons:

Knowing too many bad qualities about yourself and less or none good ones. Feedback given to one person and no reminder or highlight about other people who have not received any.

3 years ago

We're happy to hear that Matter is enabling your team to recognize your team both "emotionally and mentally," Kenton.

Elvira
Principal Ecologist in Australia
Civil Engineering, 10,000+ Employees

Works as long as you work!

Comments: It has opened our eyes to needing feedback, but we need help to get deeper into constructive feedback, otherwise it becomes an exercise in saying nice things about each other and then giving negative feedback on minor stuff because it doesnt really make it easier to say the difficult stuff. Sometimes i just avoid requests from people that I know i cant say 100% positive about.

Pros:

Its a great prompt to give and ask for feedback

Cons:

The novelty can wear off, somehow, the software needs to gain some nuance so that feedback goes deeper than superficial question and answer, maybe it can provide steps/ideas for working on constructive feedback.

3 years ago

Thank you for your honest feedback, Elvira. Helping teams gather constructive feedback to help them level up their performance and career is our ultimate goal. We believe teams that trust each other first tend to be more receptive to constructive feedback. That's why many teams have started with Kudos and Feedback Friday before they start exchange constructive feedback!

Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Works fine

Pros:

Good for keep track of employee performance

Cons:

Could be a little bit more engaging and that would make it more effective

3 years ago

Happy to hear Matter is helping your team track performance and growth!

Johanna
Marketing Manager in Sweden
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

A great tool for managers

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: The first time I've used it was when I joined Bookboost and receiving kudos quickly became one of the nicest things to receive at work. But also to give!

Pros:

As a Manager, I know it is key to provide recognition to my team. However we also often struggle with finding time to do it, and Matter helps with both. It is easy to give feedback and it even has themes and nice cards you can use. It helps me to elevate one of my team's day and also people from other teams in a public way.

Cons:

I wish there were more topics to choose from for the kudos. Maybe some specific situations or life experiences.

Chinmay
Chinmay
Director in India
Computer & Network Security, 2–10 Employees

Matter is an answer to all your office needs

Pros:

Easy of use, integration with Slack was so flawless and works like a charm. Team Wins, Feedback, etc. were icing to the cake which I was not expecting but quite easy to use and communicate.

Cons:

Demo tour needs to be better. Infographics & videos should be self explanatory. Need to work on UI/UX in certain aspects to make things more easy for lower staff.

3 years ago

Glad to hear our Slack integration is working flawlessly for your team!

Venture Capital & Private Equity, 2–10 Employees

It is a nice way of receiving feedback

Pros:

I liked that it is not too personal, it allows the team members to write an honest review without feeling that need of making the other person feels good, but rather allows you to tell them how they are doing, honestly. I like that is simple to use, simple to rate in some areas.

Cons:

There were many types of score that I didn't even know how to rate, also the marketing team may become annoying, way too many emails. Although useful, we never got to use it again after two or three times.

3 years ago

Thank you for the candid review! One of our core product tenets is to ensure feedback is both positive and constructive. We just launched Matter for Teams last month, which includes a new Slack integration, weekly Rituals, and more ways for teams to build happier a remote culture. I'd love to get a chance to walk you through Matter for Teams. Just drop me an email at tai(at)matterapp.com

Alejandro
Logistics cordinator in Colombia
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51–200 Employees

I MATTER, all of us MATTER

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It allows every single one of us to learn and be recognized for our great efforts

Pros:

employee recognition through effort, discipline.

Cons:

I don't see any cons. so far it's been exceptional

Evan
Product Designer in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501–1,000 Employees

best for the money

Comments: Matter is helping us ruin more effectively as a product org. if you're looking for something easy to implement in this space then matter is probably good for you. Best dollar to outcome of tools like this.

Pros:

Integrating matter into our workflow was seamless and easy.

Cons:

At time communicating changes that we made to the integration were tough

3 years ago

Happy to hear Matter is helping you run a more productive and effective org, Evan!

isaac
Senior lead carrier sales in Colombia
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51–200 Employees

Is an excellent software

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

The listed rewards is an excellent idea putting all different commerce

Cons:

Dont enought Coins per week is very limited

SEAN ANDREI
Account Coordinator in Philippines
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 201–500 Employees

Efficiency

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

It allows the company to recognize peers/colleagues.

Cons:

None. It is very useful and very easy to use.