Notepad++ Reviews

4.7 (1,712) Write a Review!

About Notepad++

A free text code editor that supports various languages and uses Win32 API and STL.

Learn more about Notepad++

Pros:

Notepad++ is free and very easy to use. I love how easy the developers have made it to develop.

Cons:

The interface is not convincing, the code that is written often is not very visible and very confusing at first sight.

Notepad++ ratings

4.7
4.3
4.5
4.8

9.1/10

Notepad++ has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 1,712 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Notepad++ before?

Filter reviews (1,712)

Denison
Senior Research Executive in India
Management Consulting, 501-1,000 Employees

Notepad++: Simplified IDE and Enhanced Text editor

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Experience with Notepad++ is fantastic. Notepad++ has excellent community support, which solves the query in a simple Google search. Notepad++ has been my machine's default text editor for a long time.

Pros:

I have been using this application for over a decade; it has never disappointed me. Most liked about Notepad++ is that it is an open-source application; it will take less than a minute to install, the user interface is straightforward to understand, and you can quickly get used to its options. I use this application to change the text's regular expression and code python programs. The "Extended" option and "Regular Expression" options get the job done in the replace menu. From the Plugins admin panel, you can install, update or remove the plugins; the collection of plugins is vast and very useful. Notepad++ is very customizable. You can create macros for the similar task to be done quickly

Cons:

Notepad++ has no cons, from my point of view. There is room for improvement in this application; UI can be improved UI remains the same for a very long time. Notepad++ can extend its support to macOS, also.

Zain
Self-employed in Norway
Computer Software, Self Employed

Super Simple, Super Snappy and Super Sturdy!

Comments: Notepad++ is *the* essential tool for anyone wanting more than regular Notepad AND less than bloated and sluggish text editors like VS Code, Atom, and the whole slew of "modern" Electron-based editors. While it doesn't have the most modern look, lacks some features and QoL improvements that are expected in today's digital environment, it excels with its super fast startup times, dead simple text editing features suited for coding, doesn't feel bloated or gets in the way of your flow, is lightweight and snappy, and packs a slew of cool features that might be a bit hidden at first, but once you know where to look or need them, they pack lots of power :) And while I do wish it would get a graphical upgrade, it should not come at the cost of its speed, simplicity and performance. Until someone manages to make an alternative that's like VS Code in features and look and feel, BUT with Notepad++'s speed and performance, I'm sticking with N++ for now :)

Pros:

The blazing fast startup speeds, the simple yet flexible UI and features, the code highlighting in so many languages, and the ease of writing code in a dead simple environment that is lightweight, fast and doesn't get in the way of getting to develop your cool ideas ­čśç I also love how it keeps all the files open, even unsaved ones, so that you're able to jot down stuff quickly or paste code snippets without losing them when closing Notepad++ :) Also, it has some really handy keyboard shortcuts for essential stuff that I now can't live without in other text editors, like CTRL+D to duplicate line :D

Cons:

While the native GUI allows for a snappy and fast-booting experience, there can be some "archaic" features or "outdated" ways of doing things, or outright some essential QoL features missing that are ubiquitous in the modern dev era. While most aren't an issue, the biggest drawback that I experience is that code hinting can become rather slow in a large codebase, as the dropdown menu "stutters" for every single letter typed, and you'd think such a trivial matter would have better performance. But it's not an issue as it only happens sometimes, and it pales in the face of every other pro :)

Principal Scientist in US
Biotechnology, 2-10 Employees

Best Text and Source Code Editor on Windows

Comments: This is a great program, and well written. It's actually further elevated, in my opinion, by the fact that it is donation based software. It's really great, but even if you don't donate you still get to use the full features he's put into it. This to me underscores the confidence the author of the program has in the program he's written, and let's the quality of it be a testament unto itself.

Pros:

Supports colorized syntax features for multiple languages, including Python, Pearl, R, C++, HTML, Java, etc. This really makes it easy to find your way through various code. Moreover, it's not just for source code. It supports a very versatile find/replace (including RegEx support) feature that makes sorting through various text sequences very easy. Even working with nucleotide or amino acid sequences is easy, and easily facilitates putting together FASTA files for use in other software to do alignments.

Cons:

This is really great software that does a lot for programming purposes. It would be nice to see it compliment though more of the bioinformatics side by adding the color scheming for nucleotide/amino acid characters. As an example "A, T, G, C" would be a standard color, but ambiguous bases could be different sets of colors As an example, it would be nice to see "R" which is the ambiguous base code for purines (G, A), or "Y" for pyrimidines (T, C) which could be other individual colors themselves. This way, in a string of text: ATGGGCGGATGTATTACCAYG, all the regular bases would be color blue, but the "Y" could be orange and would stand out from the rest of the text. I find that color schemes that color amino acids by polarity/acidity to sometimes be a bit of eye-clutter on screen, but others might find this feature very useful as well.

Antonio
Antonio
Senior Solutions Engineer in Italy

Free, easy to use, fast, what else?

Comments: It is super positive. It is a product that I must always have installed on my PC. Opening a file, writing a short document, working with JSON and XML, reading source code... every day there is something that I do with this product!!

Pros:

The product is easy to use. Just with a couple of clicks you have a solution that can help you in the day by day activities: you can take easily quick notes (potentially without saving, the file will stay there), you can use the tool to open files with specific formats like XML and JSON leveraging additional plugins for formatting in the right way the file. Last but not least, Notepad++ is really fast when opening a file, it is immediate, you do not need to wait.

Cons:

It is difficult to find a real limit to the product. As functionalities, it is done more than what promises to do. Obviously, you can't compare the product with other solutions specialized to do specific things, for example, if you need to work with C# code frequently, you may prefer a dedicated and specialized environment. If you need to write a document including for example charts and images, you should use something else.

Eero
Manager in UK
Consumer Electronics, 2-10 Employees

Excellent tool for programming, and more!

Comments: I use Notepad++ for programming, but since the Search & Replace tool is so good, I have very often used it for other kinds of tasks too. For example, doing batch modifications to CSV files. Very easy to use once you find out where everything is.

Pros:

Notepad++ is an excellent tool for writing code. I like how the code is highlighted, how the search and other options work. There are just so many little well-thought details that make this a great application.

Cons:

Nothing really. The icon could be more modern if I have to answer something. :D

Andrew
Andrew
Business Coach and Head Strategist in New Zealand

Great document editor and search tool

Comments: This replaced my previous paid editor, great tool, fast and useful.

Pros:

Sometimes you have to edit a really large file, and nothing else will open it, well Notepad++ will. I had documents that my previous text editor just couldn't handle [well not without a lot of waiting and screaming], Notepad++ handles them with ease. I use it as a task management tool as well as an easy text editor. Also Windows doesn't always search all files when you do a search, you can use Notepad++ to do a complete search of a folder/s to find text in files.

Cons:

Not the prettiest of editors, but fully featured, and updates itself when needed.

Rodrigo
Owner in Brazil

Small, fast and convenient

Comments: We normally use visual studio, but it is too heavy for small tasks. The VS code is also too big and confusing for that, as it always tries to deal with project folders. In Notepad++ we can open files individually and edit a script or fix a programming error in a larger project from another tool, check the charset of a file or even write manuals in markdown. It is a Swiss Army knife for most of the auxiliary functions in our routine.

Pros:

It is a super notepad, very fast to open, very efficient for handling large files, great for editing scripts or parts of larger programs. I also find it amazing how easy it is with the wizard to define your own programming or markup language. This extends the app to domain languages. It also has localization for several languages.

Cons:

I even went looking for something I don't like about it, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps the only thing missing is that it has a Linux version.

Alex
System Analysis in Canada
Construction, 51-200 Employees

Come for the easy way to view and edit text files, stay for features

Comments: Notepad++ has become one of the first programs I install and any new computer or server. Having a light weight way to open up any source code files, being able to view the code in a extremely readable manner, and being able to make quick changes has been extremely valuable to me in to many situations to count. Notepad++ is to programming what a good multitool is to handyman work, its unobtrusive enough to always keep on you and will save a ton of time when a more powerful or specialized tool will not yield better results.

Pros:

Light weight and open source, can be installed on pretty much anything without having to worry about taking up resources. Extremely useful to keep on a server. Recognizes a lot of programming languages and syntax right out of the box, but also has the options of adding plugins to expand upon its functionality. Notepad++ is exactly what you would expect from the name, it is like the basic Notepad application with a ton of useful extras. Most importantly though is the program does not bombard you with its extra functionality, instead letting the user explore freely. If you are in the market for a better version of Notepad that is exactly what you will find when you first open it, and if you like it enough that you want to explore further you can discover a large amount of additional useful features.

Cons:

As a piece of open source free software for viewing and editing raw text files and source code I cannot think of any cons. Compared to a full IDE Notepad++ lacks may critical features, but Notepad++ is not a full IDE and does not claim to be. When viewed through the lens of being a simple text editor that extends itself just beyond its necessary scope for the users convivence I cannot find any faults.

Roger
Roger
Software Developer in US
Computer Software, Self Employed

Notepad++ can handle every language then some

Comments: I mean I use it literally every single day. I most of the time just leave it open and is one of the few programs that turn on when my computer turns on. It has so many plug ins I still haven't tried them all but the ones I have tried we so good I just left those on too and I love finding stuff on here that just makes coding just so much more enjoyable and the program is as powerful as you want it to be

Pros:

Were do I begin, well first is how light it is. I have been using Notepad++ since I was 18 and I am 30 as of 9/5/2021 and to this day I cant find another source text editor that is as quick and robust I can just keep tabs of examples and the syntax highlighting is beautiful and you can use there XML layout to make your own syntax highlighting. Also the plug ins they offer are unreal. You can build your copy up with all the bells and whistles or keep it light, I do recommend getting a FTP client on so you can put in individual files were they need to be real quick. Honestly this will be one of the tools you will use most often.

Cons:

If I had to pick I would say there are some bugs in some of the plug ins and maybe a slight touch up on the GUI.

Jos├ę Luis
Director in Argentina
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

An improved version of MS Notepad

Comments: I started using Notepad++ to solve some coding problems in text files that I needed to share between different platforms. I currently use it as my exclusive plain text editor, because I don't know of a better one so far.

Pros:

It is free software, distributed under the GNU General Public License. It is permanently updated, which is a very good feature in a free software. It has virtually everything you would expect from a plain text editor and much more. Allows you to work with projects, sessions and different views, which gives you great power when working with multiple related files or several groups of files. It recognizes many programming languages and also allows you to create your own language. It also works with Markdown. It supports five types of character encoding, with the possibility of transforming texts from one to another. A large number of character sets can also be used, including several oriental ones. It is capable of generating MD5 and SHA-256 hashes, from text and from files. It has very powerful search and text replacement functions. It has automatic spelling correction and the possibility of adding dictionaries of different languages. Allows recording and execution of macros. You can work with two synchronized files in the same view. Accepts the addition of plugins and because of that an unlimited number of functions can be added.

Cons:

I have had some problems with the use of the Spanish dictionary, which is installed separately. It has an ASCII character panel, but it would be nice if it natively included a more complete UNICODE character map.

System Architect in Brazil
Telecommunications, 10,000+ Employees

Not a simple Text Editor

Comments: This is my preferred tool for daily activities. I use it to compare 2 text files (something really useful), also to take notes (as the primary objective of this tool), to read code (it has support to several coding languages), to read JSON files (by far, my preferred functionality).

Pros:

There's a large number of really useful features in this application that can serve many different use purposes. The three major strengths I see in this tool are: - The powerful onboard features (check how many options are there on the default menu bar. The search function is really flexible, with the mark functionality onboard that help us to identify words or even lines to be fully replaced or deleted). Another really nice one is the shift+alt+click functionality to make dynamic selection of texts. Also, special mention to the auto-save feature of multiple files (usually, I keep on more than 30 opened files at same time). - The facility to install and start using it (it is straight forward as any text editor should be) and, the stability combined with low use of system resources (as earlier mentioned, even with +30 opened files simultaneously, performance never drops). - The large variety of available plugins that make it this tool capable to assume many different roles such as a text editor, a JSON file analyzer, a XML analyzer, a code editor, a two-text files comparison tool...

Cons:

For some features, we have so many options that it may be confusing for new users. For instance, I keep on forgetting how to mark and delete some lines because despite the mark functionality appears on the search bar, the remove functionality is hidden under search-bookmark option.

Senior Software Developer in India
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees

Love to work with this editor

Comments: 1) It's easy to use 2) Handy software editor for improving your work performance and skills. 3) Advanced version from windows default notepad editor. 4) Auto save file feature. 5) Technical updates are available on approx monthly basis. What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?
1) I am using this tool for storing my important data on daily basis. Like I have written some daily used data in a text file. So whenever I have to add new content of the day then i added in this file. In case i forget to save that data then it's automatically keep my data is safe. So i no need to save again an again.
2) Opening programming file of C#,Html,Java script, c etc language. 3)Analysis logs of software project in organization. 4)Used this editor tool for learn Python language. 5)Easy to use and every text is having line no. So it's easy to find any info on particular line. 6)Giving multiple tab opening function for multiple file opening at a time. 7) I love more in this tool is Auto save of file.

Pros:

1) I like auto save function in notepad++.It's giving advance feature on normal notepad. 2) Any programming language development we can do. Because it's supporting every type of file extension. 3) Easy for find character length, Line no and search. 4) We can install some extra plug in for use like If we want to install JSON type plugin then we do . 5)More control on files. Like Colors and comments are also manageable in this editor. 6) More frequent updated are available. 7)Intellisense also working for particular programming or typing a text.

Cons:

I am using this tool from last 5 year. But Still not such an issue. In case of large file of txt. It's not able to open. So we can say this need to improve. Like it's not able to open 1GB size txt file.

Fernando
Fernando
SAP BW Consultant in Brazil

My partner!

Comments: This is my daily partner. I love Notepad++ and I can't live anymore without it.

Pros:

I have so much to say about it, but I'll try to be short. I use it every single day, to read simple text files, edit CSV when other tools hide some problems, edit source codes of many different languages, view HEX (hexadecimal) representation of some binary files, paste text to use later, edit texts without formatting, convert base64 strings, check UTF-8 files and even play tetris. Yes you have a lot of plugins to do whatever you need!

Cons:

Sometimes when you do a search and replace operation in a very large file (100MB or larger), apart of the very long processing time, you may end up with a broken file. And even if you undo the operation with CTRL+Z, the file will not return to its original state, you must close without save to preserve the file. But that is not a problem you should consider because it is not so common to edit such a big file. You can also do the operation in blocks, it works then.

Andrei
Andrei
Lead Game Developer in Romania
Computer Games, 2-10 Employees

Great free text editor with font limitations and a less than modern look

Comments: Notepad++ increased the productivity of my small studio by having a free, fast, and lightweight tool to use that always got the job done compared to other free applications such as Notepad(cannot open large files) and Wordpad(for writing documents, not code). The macros and different styles of multi-selection saved me a lot of time when doing repetitive tasks. It was great for me for modifying files such as HTML, JS, CSS without having to download specific software. As long as the user has an idea about the programming language, for small changes and IDE is not required and this is where Notepad++ comes into play. The interface is a drawback but I just went along with it. The backups saved me a few times (can specify to auto-backup every few seconds!). Notepad++ is also my note writing program due to the tabbing system they have.

Pros:

I've been using Notepad++ for around 8 or more years and I don't see myself moving away from it anytime soon. I can't remember a time when I thought Notepad++ was not a good choice. It's an amazingly sturdy text editor with support for an enormous amount of programming and markup languages yet very lightweight and on top of everything, completely free! Working with a lot of log files my first goto software to open them was the usual Notepad which quickly reminded me that big text files will just freeze it. Notepad++ however doesn't have any of those issues. It's like Window's Notepad on steroids. Plugins are a big thing in Notepad++ but I must admit I never found any reason to use them. For extensive work however I'm sure they can come in handy. Notepad++ excels at automating repetitive tasks with the use of the Macro feature and column mode. This made fixing spreadsheets really easy. It can also be easily integrated in WinSCP for small changes in remote files and even if the connection drops, Notpad++ will have backups of the files. The tab support is very handy especially that as a browser, it can be selected to open up with the same tabs as last time. The automatic backup is invaluable for unlucky situations. At some point my computer crashed and next time I opened Notepad++ the tabs were gone to my despair (had very useful info in them and I had no idea where they were saved) but I quickly found them in the backup folder.

Cons:

The font limitations are somewhat of a problem as these can only be changed globally. I have yet to find a way (and I did search quite some time) how I could make certain text in Bold or Italic. The average answer I find redirects me to use different software because Notepad++ "is just a text editor" when it has more features than some paid IDEs. The interface of Notepad++ looks very outdated making the program look like a Windows 98 application even though it gets updated very frequently. On top of this, the icons under the toolbar for quick actions are very small. Still related to the interface, even though it's customizable up to some degree, it feels very cluttered. A lot of features stacked side by side that most people will probably never use. The menu with drop down submenus is also huge containing out of the box things like "Encoding" , "Run", "Window" and my favourite "?" which has the about section, the API section and other program related FAQ buttons. Again, related to the interface, some dropdown menus have huge options in them making the dropdown menu ridiculously wide. Updates are good, right? Well not if the software wants to update every 3 days! Out of the box, Notepad++ would like to update at least 2 times a week and when working on different devices at different rates, the update pop-up can become downright annoying. This can be disabled however. I have not found a way to adjust the frequency it looks for updates so right now it's either On or Off.

Gokul
Gokul
Senior Consultant in Canada
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Notepad++ V7.7.1

Comments: I am using this Notepad++ as an developer for past 6 years right from 2013. As an developer and support person in my project I used to have lot of SQL insert commands, BCP IN/OUT and other FTP commands to be typed and generated it as an macro for millions of rows. So this software is used to avoid lot of halles in first place. As well since I am an developer this is used to create formatting loop for SQL procedure, functions and views. As well by erroneously if the notepad closed also the next day when we opends it saves the data in the local and we can get started from the place where we left.

Pros:

1. Notepad is very good and easy when we are a developer particularly for .HTML, CSS Designs 2. It is an Good IDE when we are using for SQL. It will clearly shows conditional formatting, loops and other contents as required for avoiding compilation errors. 3. The IDE is free in the market and selling for a least dollar amount by Scooter INC., 4. Automatic spell checker and avoiding grammatical things when typing the words. This feature is called "Autocomplete" which suits to HTML and SQL also. 5. Macros also available which is used for any BCP or Insert commands when writing for SQL server coding (T-SQL). 6. Supports N number of languages right from HTML till Java, ASP and VB also. SO formatting is very easy and done at one place rather than having their IDE's when developer develops multiple tings at one place.

Cons:

1. Notepad++ is sometimes slower in nature and getting closed automatically without any error messages though it was light weight in nature. 2. For a developer/programmer this is very good however for tech managers and directors this is not a good tool to dealt with since we have lot of paid one in the market with features in the market for any presentations to be performed. Overall disadvantage or CONS is less so nothing to be presented much apart from this.

Stuart
Electronic Design Engineer in UK
Automotive, 51-200 Employees

Excellent lightweight text/code editor

Comments: Notepad++ is one of my favourite utility programs. It does one thing and does it very well, with intelligent, easy-to-use design. It is an excellent sidekick for programming projects; useful for inspecting files at all stages of an embedded software project, from C++ source to HEX. I have also used it as a main editor for more old-fashioned languages which do not come with an IDE. In this scenario the built-in code highlighting for all common languages (and some not-so-common ones) as well as the rudimentary code completion come in very handy.
A great tool!

Pros:

Notepad++ is my Swiss Army knife of software; useful for so many things. If I need to quickly open a piece of source code to remind myself how something works (without opening the full project in the IDE), Notepad++ is perfect. I like to open all kinds of files, not just text, with Notepad++ to find out what their internal structure looks like. A lot of proprietary file formats are human-readable and often contain standard elements like XML or INI. Notepad++ has just enough features to be useful, keeping it very lightweight. This helps it start up virtually instantly. A complement to the fast startup time is the Windows context menu entry. This really is fantastic and means if I want to peek inside any file I can simply right-click and 'Edit with Notepad++'. Supports a wide range of plugins if extended functionality is required. I have used and liked the Diff and HEX editing plugins, which were easy to install and worked well. It remembers which files are open when it is closed, meaning I can resume working straight away next time. Tabbed interface works well for a text editor, especially when combined with the Diff plugin.

Cons:

Popups which ask if I want to update every time I open the software are annoying and break my workflow, and unfortunately Notepad++ is guilty of this. Really not much apart from that!

Lead Quality Analyst in US
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees

A must have editor

Comments: Basically it is more than an editor. It has quite a lot of very useful and important features which overall reduces cost and effort in any industry. The fact it supports a lot of languages makes it even more useful.
I think this is a must have tool.

Pros:

I used Notepad++ almost on daily basis while doing testing of various softwares. It's a very simple to use tool, you don't need any instructions to use it. The interface infact id user friendly. Some of the features which i liked the most The data is saved on the go, you don;t have to save it explicitly. You know how much significance this holds to a software person. Mutiple tabs along with option of multiple views in Notepad++. This is extremely useful while comparing files (ask a tester how it makes life simpler:) ) When testing fixed file formats the highlighting of line and column number is very useful. It also highlights the text selected in the whole file which is another interesting feature. The option to search anything in all the opened files; simple but very important feature. The replace option has extended feature where you can make use of '/n' etc. Syntax highlighting and support for various languages; I had to deal with a lot of XML and HTML files. This tool made my life easy. The support, answers to queries is good and pretty fats.

Cons:

There is nothing much which I didn't liked about Notepad++. It's basically an editor and it fulfills all the features a editor should have. If you are using it for programming you'll surely find some difficulties there.

Praveen Kunigal
IT Engineer in US
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

One of the high quality Notepad.

Comments: Overall very happy with this app as it provides very features which are very much required for any IT Engineer.

Pros:

There are lots of good features in this, would mention a few here: 1. I can open multiple tabs (no limit), it's very easy to navigate to different tabs whenever needed and easy to close/save tabs any single tab. 2. There is an option to change the Language (like SQL, Java, Unix etc) this would helps me a lot in writing code, SQL queries. 3. Macros: This option helps me while doing any repetitive minor tasks. Using this option we can record the task, and hit a Run Macro to repeat the same task N number of times. Which is really a great feature which I didn't find in any other software. 4. It allows me to reload the file, so I don't have to close and open the file to check updated content. We can also make file to update in real time.

Cons:

I installed this app in my personal device too, whenever I open this app everytime it asks me to update the application and when I hit the update button it gets stuck and nothing happens. They have to fix this bug, no other complains pertaining to application behaviour.

Undergraduate in Sri Lanka
Higher Education Software, 5,001-10,000 Employees

ÔÇťA wonderful text editor which achieves enormous tasksÔÇŁ

Comments: As a university student, I use the Notepad++ software to edit my codes as it supports a wide variety of programming languages. I am so excited about the awesome features that it has held and I like its user interface which is entirely customizable. In my opinion, it is an amazing text editor that I ever used!

Pros:

I have been using this software for about four years and I use this Notepad++ software daily to edit my scripts immediately and to edit some parts of my codes that I have done. I noticed that it supports a lot of programming languages which makes me easy to edit my codes which are from different programming languages such as C++, C, Python, and HTML. One of the features I love most in this Notepad++ software is its autosaving facility while IÔÇÖm working. It is very essential as when there is a power failure for a long period or unwittingly closes this app. Hence because of this feature, I could continue my work where I have stopped without getting stress. Notepad++ consists of multiple tabs and it is easy and free to use which saves my time a lot. It has a syntax highlighting facility which helps me a lot to identify especially the errors and strings of my code. It saves my internal storage as it does not use much amount of storage. Notepad++ software has many different plugins and supports for macros too. I love the exceptional features accommodate in this Notepad++ software and I recommend this software to use u all.

Cons:

Notepad++ software is unable to open files which are usually larger than 50MB and I noticed that it is lagging when these files are opening in this software. I hope in the future this software could use for Linux and Mac users too, as it is now only accessible for MS Windows users. I think it is better to have a modern style which senses like it is a late version. Other than these I didnÔÇÖt notice many cons of this software.

HansOlivier
Student - Intern in Canada
Computer Software, 5,001-10,000 Employees

A simple all around text editor

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: I have used Notepad++ for note-taking and code editing in embedded systems. For text note-taking, it is probably the best resource out there and I have used it both professionally and personally. As for embedded systems, it was quite useful to edit my code with such a lightweight software instead of a bigger IDE such as PyCharm or CLion.

Pros:

Notepad++ is free and is being constantly kept up to date. It can be used to edit code, take notes, write reports, etc. It is probably the best option to write a text draft. It has multiple powerful and diverse extensions. One could replace both Word and any IDE with Notepad++. It's ability to save files internally is probably it's best feature.

Cons:

It is quite a jack-of-all-trades, but a master at nothing. The fact that it is free is evident. One cannot execute it's code from the IDE. Although it is possible to write code, it does not correct you efficiently when a mistake is done.

Jeff
CTO in US
Veterinary Software, 11-50 Employees

NotePad++ Checks All The Boxes

Comments: We've been using NotePad++ for 15 years now, and it's become our staple for everyday coding.

Pros:

We use NotePad++ every single day coding our internal CMS systems. Everything we use is custom built in-house, and NotePad++ is our editor of choice. The language strings are clearly defined (the colors are super nice), and the customizable ability of literally everything (including viewpoint) is easy to implement and toggle. We even have added additional SpellCheck settings which have helped (the default is British). Their backup methods is amazing, too - literally able to keep a core backup of every file for iterations upon saving.

Cons:

Practically nothing. Very rarely the software crashes when you load a new file, but thankfully that's super rare - and it's only upon upload (so no changes have been made yet).

Mateusz
Senior Software engineer in Poland
Consumer Goods, 1,001-5,000 Employees

A software engineer's point of view on Notepad++.

Comments: I use Notepad++ in many applications. From a quick look at various files (notepad++ supports lots of them) to quickly developing an application or doing a PoC.

Pros:

What I appreciate most about Notepad++ is its ease of use and lightness. The application starts up in a second and runs very fast.

Cons:

I miss the more advanced features available in other app development tools. Project Management.

Jonathan Alexander
Jonathan Alexander
Infrastructure analyst in Dominican Republic
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Excellent text editor with support for multiple file extensions

Comments: I use this editor day after day to be able to validate the syntax of some files, as well as to organize and be able to search for errors in programming codes referring to a language, as well as in its administrator mode to be able to edit and save system files without the need for so many steps only by authenticating as an administrator I can achieve this functionality.

Pros:

What I like the most about this text editor is its compatibility with multiple file extensions, which makes it essential when it comes to debugging or validating files and their syntax. I also like that it is a useful editor for web development where we can create our web applications taking into account the interpretation of the syntax of the language that we are using.

Cons:

I could say that its interface could be a little more modern and friendly

Angus
Angus
Company Director in UK
Logistics & Supply Chain, 2-10 Employees

Probably The Best Text Editor I've Used... Ever.

Comments: Notepad++ has saved me a ton of time and made my life easier, whenever I need to develop an application, or even type out some text, it makes the job a breeze.

Pros:

Since the day I found Notepad++ it's made very tedious tasks a lot simpler, I really like how they support Regex and have a wide array of plugins which can automate tasks.

Cons:

The only slight issue I have with the software from time to time, is that if you have a lot of text files open at once, it can take a while to start up.

Quality Assurance Engineer in Austria

Amazing Multitool

Comments: I have been using Notepad ++ (or N++) for as long as I can think. It basically started in school and i quickly adopted it for my home use too and never stopped using it ever since.
You can (probably) open all files and formats that text editors should be able to handle and some more. It is recently being overshadowed by VS code, but i still use both of them side by side, since N++ is still faster for quick edits and i know all the key combos i possibly need.
I definitely reccomend to install this on your machine at work and home, since it makes things so much easier compared to the default notepad.

Pros:

It can open almost any fileformat to the point where it feels like the VLC of editors. A lot of Programming languages are supported for highlighting out of the box and you can add even more via plugins. Opening files is really quick! Files you have edited are kept even after a shutdown and if the file is removed, unless you save it there are no "saving oopsies " happening.

Cons:

Windows only Finding plugins that fit your needs and are still developed for the current version can be really tedious. Sometimes you need to stick with certain N++ versions for compatibility. No autocomplete or Intellisense by default. Finding autocomplete plugins and getting them to work can be tricky and your chances of success are based on how far your language is spread