15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Notepad++

A free text code editor that supports various languages and uses Win32 API and STL.

Learn more about Notepad++

Pros:

Notepad++ is free and very easy to use. I love how easy the developers have made it to develop.

Cons:

The interface is not convincing, the code that is written often is not very visible and very confusing at first sight.

Notepad++ ratings

4.7
4.3
4.5
4.8

9.1/10

Notepad++ has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 1,888 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Notepad++ before?

Filter reviews (1,888)

Filipp
Filipp
Associate in US
Financial Services Software, 11–50 Employees

A good basic workhorse

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: I’ve used npp for ad hoc dev work before migrating to cloud and doing quick basic testing of code

Pros:

Lots of language syntax highlighting, great themes, cheap, and little memory consumption during execution.

Cons:

No theme marketplace and module references across scripts are rare, function type declarations also aren’t visible in the IDE

Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Proven little helper for all kinds of text relatedthings

Comments: I typically use Notepad++ for all kinds of small text-related use cases. Formatting texts or replacing strings in text (even with newlines or returns), I can copy a code snippet - e.g., from an online documentation - and it filters out all the ugly HTML stuff. Hence, I can copy it into a Word document or other notekeeper. I also like using it as an extended clipboard with scripting work. It's just mocking and pasting - no attempts to correct any spelling mistakes that aren't there or trying to apply upper-case/lower-case rules. I would not use it for full programming or software development. It lacks a few features and functions of professional IDEs - but that's not necessarily the main purpose of that tool anyway.

Pros:

It's a small app with lots of features. It stayed consistent with the UI over the last 15 years, making it easy for me to use. The UI may be a bit old-school, but clean and easy to understand. It's available for all kinds of operating systems and even as a portable app! I can't complain about performance; it runs stable - I have never had a crash or outage since using Notepad++. It also maintains the last status, so I can shut my laptop down without losing unsaved work. I love that it is multi-tabbed and not a single large board (e.g., compared to tools such as Miro - they have a different focus).And all of that for free!

Cons:

Plugins are sometimes a bit tricky to install. But once you get the pattern, it's easy. Remembering keyboard shortcuts for the new features is the biggest hurdle, but that's not on Notepad++.

antonello
cultivator in US
Farming, 11–50 Employees

it can be better

Pros:

i love the open sourc tab editing. this is the only program i know that has it

Cons:

kind of complicated i had to do some research on how to properly use. They should market it different

Gordon
Software Developer in Kenya
Banking, 201–500 Employees

A popular open-source text and source code editor for Windows Operating System

Comments: Overal, Notepad++ is a great tool for text editing. If you are windows user and are looking for a fast and lightweight text editor to work with, then Notepad++ is what you are looking for.

Pros:

Notepad++ supports almost all the popular programming languages including SQL. It is generally lightweight and light. You can install it and get it working in minutes and it doesn't consume a lot of your computer resources. It provides the functionality of Syntax highlighting something that make it enjoyable to code as it helps in trouble shooting and catching errors. One of my favorite aspects of Notepad ++ is its ability to split the interface into multiple views to help you do side by side editing. I also love the search and replace feature. This feature is a big deal because not all text editors come with it. It helps me quickly find a specific piece of code and replace it with another. These speeds up my work. Another helpful feature of Notepad++ is the auto-complete suggestions which are such a time saver and help you reduce errors.

Cons:

1. Notepad++ is only available in windows operating system. 2. Another con is that Notepad++ is a stand alone application and therefore it doesn't offer realtime collaboration options possibility. I mostly use it for my own personal projects which do not require me to collaborate with someone.

Game Developer in US
Computer Games, Self Employed

One Stop Shop for simple text editing

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Once I learned about this, it became my go-to austere text editing program for those times when I just want something simple without being drowned in features. The features are no more than *knee* deep, and they're useful. I use it to edit and write quick JavaScript, php, html, config files, and occasionally C# -- it can parse and color code all of them. I also use it to write random notes to myself. It does have a feature to run some kinds of code, but I've never used it for that, as it's more practical for me to use Visual Studio for my Unity code -- VS has more accurate tab completion suggestions, among other things, and it's more naturally attuned to Unity. Overall, if you're looking for something just a little bit cooler than the bare bones Notepad program and you're a Windows user, this is your tool.

Pros:

-Great for quick glances and editing of almost anything -- can handle several dozen types of formatting such as plain text, various kinds of code, xml, or JSON -Can install plugins for some versioning features like Diff -Color codes that conform to your chosen file format -Good for tab junkies and people who use it for random notes -Will remember your sloppily unsaved, unnamed files when reopened...sometimes

Cons:

-Jack of all trades, master of none (but that's okay) -Windows only

Sandra
Coordinator in India
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

Simple Tool for Scripting - Notepad++

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, Notepad++ is a great tool for editing and scripting and a must-have tool for everyone. It is a lightweight and easy-to-use tool for beginners.

Pros:

Notepad++ is a scripting tool that a user can edit and configure easily. It is easy to install and work with. The key advantage of this tool is detecting the languages of the script and highlighting code syntax which helps beginners and also supports different file types. Comparison of different versions of code allows the user to find bugs easily.

Cons:

While processing huge files, Notepad++ performance is not appreciable. It would be good if the UI could be improved. Need more improvements in debugging.

Muhammad Farid Ahmed
Network security engineer in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Notepad++ reveiw

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: I would like to rank my overall experience with this product high. Because I am satisfied due to its customizable, extensible editor and lightweight capabilities.

Pros:

What most I like about this product is its extensibility, customization, and multiple document editing. These features of the product give me versatility . The extensibility of the notepad++ boosts the functionality of the text editor by using plugins. I can highlight my codes and auto-completion for code as well.

Cons:

The most I don't like about Notepad++ is the basic feature. It should offer features for the same level as the IDE integrated development environment offers.

Ivy
Network Engineer in US
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

The best text editor out there for halfway normal users

5.0 last month New

Comments: I've been using this for years and it's the best text editor out there. It wont turn you into a cultist like EMACS seems to do.

Pros:

The best thing about N++ is the user interface. Being able to customize the display settings to the degree is available and to allow for compatibility with code conventions of various languages is essential.

Cons:

The worst thing about N++ is that is can look kind of dated in that "MFC 1992" look.

Pavithra
IT Digital Officer in Australia
Automotive, 11–50 Employees

Daily usage of Notepad++

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Its ease of use, ability to view in different languages(colour coding), ability to open multiple tabs.

Cons:

Earlier, there used to be an option to run a program on browser. Example: run a html file by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R and this would open the file on a browser. It has been removed. Can we please get this back.

Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Enhanced Notepad for all users

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

Better syntax and typing functionality, more features compared to older Notepad, and much improved UI

Cons:

This software is only for text editing, anything more complicated than that requires other more advanced softwares.

Rodrigo
Owner in Brazil
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Small, fast and convenient

Comments: We normally use visual studio, but it is too heavy for small tasks. The VS code is also too big and confusing for that, as it always tries to deal with project folders. In Notepad++ we can open files individually and edit a script or fix a programming error in a larger project from another tool, check the charset of a file or even write manuals in markdown. It is a Swiss Army knife for most of the auxiliary functions in our routine.

Pros:

It is a super notepad, very fast to open, very efficient for handling large files, great for editing scripts or parts of larger programs. I also find it amazing how easy it is with the wizard to define your own programming or markup language. This extends the app to domain languages. It also has localization for several languages.

Cons:

I even went looking for something I don't like about it, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps the only thing missing is that it has a Linux version.

Fazal Rahman
Fazal Rahman
Data collection Officer in Afghanistan
Program Development, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Coding was never been easy

Comments: Its very easy IDE to use for my eyes even if i am using it at night or daylight. Its easy with update functionalities for back-end and front-end users. It includes the most classes pre-defined which will be limited in other same products or need to be imported. Sometimes i don’t have internet connections so i would not be stuck for any class or library.

Pros:

I like the backup and recover first to save my progress, the IDE is a home platform where you work i like the environment however i want i can change it the theme colors, fonts, size. And specially the classes to import while coding i may not have internet connection but notepad++ helps us to overcome this segment in most cases. in back-end or front-end development.

Cons:

Uhm overall i liked the platform compare to other platforms i used before its not limited and is a complete comprehensive IDE and including most libraries and classes for developer, ease of their/our work. So far i don’t see any particular segment to not like or like least about notepad++.

Przemek
Przemek
Senior IT Specialist in Poland
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Notepad++ a must have for IT specialist.

Comments: It gives me a free scripting program to work with all types of codes. I can quickly view and evaluate the script, make necessary corrections, and then save it in the same format it was opened with.

Pros:

Notepad++ is suitable for all scripting languages and can be used to write and edit all types of code, like scripts and configuration files. It is easy and free to use, which makes it a valuable asset for programmers and IT specialists in general.

Cons:

Sometimes I miss the terminal feature like in Powershell or Visual Studio, where I could check the code without implementing it in the environment. Such a testing feature is almost a must-have, and because Notepad++ doesn't have it I sometimes chose other scripting solutions.

Mateusz
Senior Software engineer in Poland
Consumer Goods, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A software engineer's point of view on Notepad++.

Comments: I use Notepad++ in many applications. From a quick look at various files (notepad++ supports lots of them) to quickly developing an application or doing a PoC.

Pros:

What I appreciate most about Notepad++ is its ease of use and lightness. The application starts up in a second and runs very fast.

Cons:

I miss the more advanced features available in other app development tools. Project Management.

Andrew
Andrew
Business Coach and Head Strategist in New Zealand
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Great document editor and search tool

Comments: This replaced my previous paid editor, great tool, fast and useful.

Pros:

Sometimes you have to edit a really large file, and nothing else will open it, well Notepad++ will. I had documents that my previous text editor just couldn't handle [well not without a lot of waiting and screaming], Notepad++ handles them with ease. I use it as a task management tool as well as an easy text editor. Also Windows doesn't always search all files when you do a search, you can use Notepad++ to do a complete search of a folder/s to find text in files.

Cons:

Not the prettiest of editors, but fully featured, and updates itself when needed.

Principal Scientist in US
Biotechnology, 2–10 Employees

Best Text and Source Code Editor on Windows

Comments: This is a great program, and well written. It's actually further elevated, in my opinion, by the fact that it is donation based software. It's really great, but even if you don't donate you still get to use the full features he's put into it. This to me underscores the confidence the author of the program has in the program he's written, and let's the quality of it be a testament unto itself.

Pros:

Supports colorized syntax features for multiple languages, including Python, Pearl, R, C++, HTML, Java, etc. This really makes it easy to find your way through various code. Moreover, it's not just for source code. It supports a very versatile find/replace (including RegEx support) feature that makes sorting through various text sequences very easy. Even working with nucleotide or amino acid sequences is easy, and easily facilitates putting together FASTA files for use in other software to do alignments.

Cons:

This is really great software that does a lot for programming purposes. It would be nice to see it compliment though more of the bioinformatics side by adding the color scheming for nucleotide/amino acid characters. As an example "A, T, G, C" would be a standard color, but ambiguous bases could be different sets of colors As an example, it would be nice to see "R" which is the ambiguous base code for purines (G, A), or "Y" for pyrimidines (T, C) which could be other individual colors themselves. This way, in a string of text: ATGGGCGGATGTATTACCAYG, all the regular bases would be color blue, but the "Y" could be orange and would stand out from the rest of the text. I find that color schemes that color amino acids by polarity/acidity to sometimes be a bit of eye-clutter on screen, but others might find this feature very useful as well.

Setareh
Electrical Engineer in US
Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Notepad++ is a must-have text editing tool

Comments: Overall, Notepad++ is an extremely reliable tool that is perfect for anyone who needs a powerful text editor. Its intuitive interface, extensive feature set, and support for multiple programming languages make it a wonderfl choice among program developers.

Pros:

I use Notepad++ everyday at work. I use it mainly for writing programs and codes. Notepad++ is a powerful text editor that I recommed it to whoever spends a significant amount of time on text editing and coding. Notepad++ makes your life easier. It is completely free to download and use. It is also open-source, which means that users can customize and modify the source code as per their specific needs.Furthermore, Notepad++ is a lightweight application that doesn't take up too much space on your computer. One of the standout features of Notepad++ is its robust syntax highlighting, which supports over 50 programming and markup languages. This feature allows me to quickly and easily identify different parts of my code, and therefore making editing and debugging much easier.Another important feature is the ability to use multiple tabs, allowing users to work on multiple files without having to switch between them manually.

Cons:

There are no specific cons for Notepad++. The only thing I can mention is that compared to an Integrated Development Environment (IDE), Notepad++ comes with limited features. I do not consider this as a disadvantage, since it is free and naturally it is not developed as an IDE. I enjoy using Notepad++ at work. It totally worth it, I recommend it to everyone who needs a text editing tool.

Abdirizak Mohamed
Co-Founder in Somalia
Design, 11–50 Employees

Simplifying Coding and Text Editing with Notepad++

Comments: My overall experience with Notepad++ has been very positive. As a user, the platform has helped me to code and edit text more efficiently and effectively, which has been invaluable in my work. While there are some potential drawbacks to consider, such as limited features and potential compatibility issues, I believe that the benefits of the platform far outweigh any potential drawbacks. I would highly recommend Notepad++ to any individual or business looking for a powerful and user-friendly tool for coding and text editing.

Pros:

As a user of Notepad++, I have found the platform to be an incredibly powerful and versatile tool for coding and text editing. One of the things I appreciate most about the platform is its ease of use. The interface is clean and intuitive, which has made it easy for me to quickly learn and use the various features.I also appreciate the platform's robust set of features for coding and text editing, such as syntax highlighting, auto-completion, and find-and-replace. The platform's ability to handle large files and multiple tabs has also been a big plus for me, allowing me to work on multiple projects at once.Another big plus for me has been the platform's support for multiple programming languages, making it a versatile tool for my coding needs.

Cons:

One of the potential drawbacks of Notepad++ is that it may not be as powerful or fully-featured as other coding editors, which could be a concern for users with more advanced coding needs.Another potential drawback is that the platform may not be as widely recognized or supported as other coding editors, which could be a concern for users who need to collaborate with others who are using different software.

Praveen Kunigal
IT Engineer in US
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

One of the high quality Notepad.

Comments: Overall very happy with this app as it provides very features which are very much required for any IT Engineer.

Pros:

There are lots of good features in this, would mention a few here: 1. I can open multiple tabs (no limit), it's very easy to navigate to different tabs whenever needed and easy to close/save tabs any single tab. 2. There is an option to change the Language (like SQL, Java, Unix etc) this would helps me a lot in writing code, SQL queries. 3. Macros: This option helps me while doing any repetitive minor tasks. Using this option we can record the task, and hit a Run Macro to repeat the same task N number of times. Which is really a great feature which I didn't find in any other software. 4. It allows me to reload the file, so I don't have to close and open the file to check updated content. We can also make file to update in real time.

Cons:

I installed this app in my personal device too, whenever I open this app everytime it asks me to update the application and when I hit the update button it gets stuck and nothing happens. They have to fix this bug, no other complains pertaining to application behaviour.

Angus
Angus
Company Director in UK
Logistics & Supply Chain, 2–10 Employees

Probably The Best Text Editor I've Used... Ever.

Comments: Notepad++ has saved me a ton of time and made my life easier, whenever I need to develop an application, or even type out some text, it makes the job a breeze.

Pros:

Since the day I found Notepad++ it's made very tedious tasks a lot simpler, I really like how they support Regex and have a wide array of plugins which can automate tasks.

Cons:

The only slight issue I have with the software from time to time, is that if you have a lot of text files open at once, it can take a while to start up.

Kevin
Kevin
IT Consultant/Lecturer in Trinidad and Tobago
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

The first and probably only text editor you need

Comments: Chances are that when you were learning to code you would have used either the generic notepad or Notepad++. Notepad++ has been the default for most newcomers and professionals. Although there are superior alternatives nothing can beat the speed and simplicity you can get from Notepad++. I can't stress enough how much its a create starting point. Beginners can create simple files that can be ran in a CLi and results are instant. When I am doing tutorials I make my students use Notepad++ before they even see an IDE. I mostly find myself using it when I tired of using other programs I use. Sure most personal computers as fast enough that even the slowest IDE opens pretty fast but there are some file types where its easier just to open Notepad++ edit and I'm out.

Pros:

Its barebones and provides the most basic coding functionality. It recognizes different languages and attempts to color code their respective elements. It launches fast, loads files very fast and saves very fast. It barely uses Ram so you can leave it open while working with other software. It also has various plugins that can add new features.

Cons:

Notepad++ is not an IDE so while it can recognize different languages there are no error detection features or code formatting out of the box. There a lot of free text editors that are superior to Notepad++. The barebones nature might not be for everyone. Especially coders who rely on "quality of life" features. Also, it has a very classic look that might put off those who use newer text editors.

Gopal
Gopal
Analyst in India
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

The best text editor out there...

Comments: Overall I'm really happy with Notepad++ it helps me get mess sorted out quickly, helps add notes quickly and I can keep it running it in background as it doesn't consume much of cpu power. Syntax highlighting support for many languages has helped me more than few times to identify issues in code or XML without having to run the code.

Pros:

Considering the fact that it is just a text editor - I love almost everything about Notepad++. It's fully customize-able, light and almost bug free and on top of that it's fully open sourced & free. Also the availability of so many plugins makes it super awesome. It helps me take notes quickly which are preserved even when I don't save it and can also be sync'd with cloud.

Cons:

There's almost nothing to dislike about the features provided with Notepad++, but I wish they add start taking competition seriously and start adding features such as version controlling.

Lucas
Freelance Proofreader in Brazil
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

The single best combination of least clutter and most features

Comments: I usually have one main dump file where I write down fast any idea that comes up when I have to work on something else. Then, I later separate those ideas or tasks into other smaller, more specific lists/files, organized by topic or due date. At the same time, I can be proofreading an article or essay, still on Notepad++, with many other files open, without slowing down even an older computer. The fact that I never had it crash or needed to contact support speaks enough about how polished this software is

Pros:

Notepad ++ is a very clean and minimal notes software in its out-of-the-box state, but can handle a lot of more intense jobs if you get to know its features. For me personally, it is essential to have a notepad that is very light, can have many files open at the same time (and not weighing down older machines even with this) and can open the same files I was editing the last time I turned the computer off.

Cons:

It is really difficult to pick something to criticize here, as I consider Notepad ++ to be the quintessential notes app, and there is not much that can be done wrong in this kind of app. As stated in the review title, it has the cleanness of a notepad but CAN handle a lot more, with neat features to organize lists or export files. I believe there was never a feature I really needed when working with it that it lacked, never had to seek a different app even for any situational notes-related tasks.

Mike
Developer in US
Computer Games, Self Employed

The Gold-standard for Text Editing on Windows

Comments: Quick comparison of code revisions without having to make commits to version control, excellent Regular Expression support in the Search and Replace tool.

Pros:

From tabbed file editing to syntax styling for nearly every imaginable file format under the sun, Notepad++ has it all and should be in the arsenal of every Windows user, whether you're a full on developer writing code or just an amateur tweaking configuration files! The Search and Replace functionality provides full Regular Expression support, making it extremely powerful to make bulk changes to text based files. A plethora of additional plugins, including Compare (diff), Autosave, and Spell-check, which can be installed and disabled from the built-in Plugin Manager in a snap.

Cons:

Absolutely nothing! Lets start a campaign to make Notepad++ the default Windows text editor! Make it happen, Microsoft!

Rekha Priyadharshini
Data Scientist in India
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Light-weight, minimalistic, yet powerful text editor

Comments: Notepad++ is a free, light-weight and powerful text editor. It is very easy to install and it also comes with a portable edition. It can open almost any type of text file let it be Java, Python, XML or even JSON. It is very powerful out-of-the-box and its functionality can be extended by installing plugins. It is a must have tool for every developer.

Pros:

Notepad++ supports multiple tabs and the unsaved content is persisted even when the app is closed or shutdown. It supports multiple encoding which is very useful when working with Unicode characters. We can use the document map to easily navigate large piece of code by collapsing and expanding content. When you click on a word, Notepad++ highlights all the occurrences of that word which is very handy to see the places when a variable is used. It supports extended search using regular expressions which is quite useful for editing code and parse logs. We can also compare two files by installing additional plugins.

Cons:

The UI looks a bit plain and outdated. It is not a full-fledged IDE and so it lacks support for code auto completion and formatting. Though the UI support themes, there is no dark mode support. And there is no out-of-the-box support for LaTeX and Markdown. Finally, Notepad++ only support text content and it doesn't support multi-media content like images or annotations.