15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Elavon

From payment processing to loyalty programs, fraud management to mobile innovations, security solutions to data-driven insights.

Learn more about Elavon

Pros:

It seemed fairly simple to use and could get good details.

Cons:

The backend compliance isn't user friendly but their support is even worse.

Elavon ratings

2.6
2.7
2.9
2.5

Elavon has an overall rating of 2.8 out 5 stars based on 16 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Elavon before?

Stevie
Office manager in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

Easy and simple

Comments: Long time satisfied customer, love that the terminal is easy to use and generally has no issues.

Pros:

Elavon has the best rates for non profit long time customers, any time an issue has arose contacting customer service is a breeze.

Cons:

The only issue I have with Elavon is the price compliance needing to be completed yearly without reminders or else pay a hefty fee.

Nicole
Corporate Secretary in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Challenges with communication

Pros:

It seemed fairly simple to use and could get good details.

Cons:

The reports are not always user-friendly to produce. The payment gateway was challenging to install into our software and had challenges with customer service and their technical department in order to finally get it done. It took a LONG time.

Mai
Owner in Canada
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

Taking to long to handle customer issues

1.0 2 months ago New

Comments: We don’t normally write a bad review but we got really bad experience with Elavon as well as Talech!
We took over the restaurant for 3 months and started to use Elavon service, everything went well at the beginning. Till last 3 weeks, I have received a call from Elavon and said there was two accounts opened under my name and they offered to close one of the account for me to avoid additional charge. Few days after that, without any care from their employees, all of the accounts under my name were locked while the business is still operating and caused us into troubles.
I have reached out to Customer Care and requested to get our accounts re-opened, then we got the issues with the gift cards payment. I ended up to contact customer service again and received a case number. In order to get the issues resolved faster, I even have reached out to Manager and asked for help, he did help by sending us over a new terminal just for the gift card purposes. After a few days, the new terminal was sent over, it still didn’t work. I reached out to Manager and customer service again. Elavon & Talech kept blaming each other and the gift card issues still here, all i received is case number!
It’s been almost 3 weeks waiting in hopeless, we got lots of customers upset and this also hurts our business a lot. I couldn’t believe a big company like Elavon will handle customers issues without care & without professionalism like this.
Still believe there are many other organizations out there will offer better service than Elavon & Talech

Pros:

Customer service is alright, but take too long to get back to customers

Cons:

The quality of service as well as taking too long to handle customers issues

LaQuita
Import & Export, 2–10 Employees

Horrible customer service and set up

Pros:

Nothing the service service was horrible. Calling to customer service to get assistance was horrible. Only to find out that there was another company processing the payment. I reached out numerous times only to be told I will be sent an email and I finally reached out to the account manager or at least who I thought was the account manager [sensitive content hidden] . It could be [sensitive content hidden] with a K however the service that she provided was horrible to say the least by saying I had no business knowing her name or who she even was because she didn’t service my terminal that is no way to speak to about a customer.

Cons:

recently received a payment processing terminal and have reached out numerous times, but today I found out I was reaching the wrong company however, the rudeness that I experienced when reaching out just to get information made me determine from this company. Overall, I reached out in hopes of speaking with whom I was told was my account manager whose name is [sensitive content hidden] I in turn, was told that the representative reached out to [sensitive content hidden] , and also someone’s whose name started with the letter J, maybe [sensitive content hidden] upon her reaching out to escalate the situation she was told that I should not be contacting this individual neither should I know her name as if she’s some person that I am after I only want information and this was very rude to even have this information relayed to a customer horrible customer service and you should be ashamed of even having someone say that to a customer horrible, horrible stay away from Elavon.

Ronnie
CEO in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

Something to be said for longevity

Comments: The fees can be frustrating, and trying to determine how much will be taken out of a given transaction is difficult. That being said, in order to operate at all in this field, you must be able to accept a wide range of payments. There is no way to avoid this operating cost, so we've made the decision to use Elavon as our main payment processor. The extra costs are mitigated by the trust our customers have in us knowing we use a reputable and secure payment processor. I wish there was a way to operate where that big of a percentage of each transaction did not have to be sent to a third party in order to verify availability of funds immediately. With no real hope for that to turn into a reality, we will continue to send 2-3% of each swipe to Elavon.

Pros:

Elavon is nearly synonymous with payment processing. Their name represents a company with a reputation for taking its clients' businesses very seriously. Much of what we bring in to cover operating expenses are in the form of donations. When donors find out that we utilize Elavon, they feel safer when deciding whether to donate.

Cons:

You pay an increased price for Elavon when compared to other POS payment processors. While we love the services Elavon provides, we also have to consider if the increased security is worth the increased costs. To defray the costs, we have begun using other processors for specific tasks.

Lori
Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

Comparatively high priced and difficult to use.

Comments: I didn't like it. I found it difficult to use and complicated compared to others.

Pros:

The USA based personal support person I was assigned as a go between. He fid basically handle any questions or issues but the POS system wasn't reliable.

Cons:

The POS device was high priced compared to most difficult to use and I couldn't depend on it taking the sale. It was hit or miss. Actually so bad that I had to carry an additional backup product.

Cori
Manager in US
Law Practice, 11–50 Employees

Works well for our purposes, can be pricey

Comments: Elavon was easy to set up and use. It functions well and rarely has technical issues. The prices can be fairly steep when they are increased (which seems to occur every year) but customer service is often willing to work with you to keep the prices reasonable for a small firm such as ours. Overall, I am pleased with Elavon, but I do not have another product to compare it to.

Pros:

This software is easy to learn and use. The processes are intuitive and it rarely has technical problems.

Cons:

The fees on the invoice are a little hard to understand, and sometimes seem to change without warning. The yearly price increases are steep.

Denise
Owner in Canada
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 2–10 Employees

Cheap system

1.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: The fact that transactions can receive an approval from the credit card company at the time of purchase but not actually be paid to the merchant is a serious problem. I gave my client a receipt from the Elavon system clearly showing it was approved but days later received a phone call from Elavon to tell me we (the merchant) is not getting paid. Elavon is holding onto the money for a minimum of 90 days. Now I have to spend hours going back and forth with the Elavon rep (who has been very kind) to prove the legitimacy of the transaction when the system simply should have declined the transaction at the time of purchase. If a transaction appears to be fraudulent it should not be approved at the time of purchase.

Pros:

It was the cheapest system I could find that would work in the currency we need. You get what you pay for.

Cons:

Set up was more complicated than it needed to be, the online Converge system is not intuitive, and getting account statements is a hassle because it's an entirely different login. My biggest complaint is that the system will approve transactions with the credit card company but Elavon will deny payment to the merchant. Then it's a nightmare trying to get paid by Elavon. The delay creates numerous other bookkeeping and accounting issues.

Gerardo
Controller in Canada
Hospitality, 2–10 Employees

Not the best merchant solution out there

Comments: Elavon is not a great solution for a hospitality business like our, it is more for a retail store.

Pros:

We basically use Elavon to do pre-auth for checking in guests, so we like that we can do pre-auths with guest actually pin-approving the transaction.

Cons:

Whenever we need to complete a pre-authorization is the most complicated process we have ever seen.

Chet
owner in US
Entertainment, 11–50 Employees

DO NOT USE AS THEY ARE NOT GOOD TO THE CUSTOMER

Comments: HORRIBLE!!!. Contacted to get registers for the business. Wrong ones come. They cannot get right ones now for weeks? I have a business so cannot wait. I want to send the wrongs one back since they are the wrong ones. I am told by 3 different people they will have UPS pick up. Never come. Then they come to wrong address. I am told by other employees they will send labels. They NEVER do. Then they start charging me for lack of return of equipment. WHAT? So I go and pay to send back all the equipment using my own money ($420). They wind up refusing to reverse monthly costs- this process took 2 months. AND they refuse to pay for the shipping. WHAT? How is this company a company. So many employees refused to assist. How is this not fraud. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND ANYONE USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Pros:

1 customer service rep named [sensitive content hidden] which is the only one that ever seemed to care

Cons:

Everything. No accountability. No real customer service. Did not fix the problems that they caused, and it somehow cost me over $500 due to the incompetency of Elavon.

Craig
Digital Lead in UK
Retail, 51–200 Employees

Decent functionality, terrible customer support

Comments: As a payment gateway it works, expensive but it works. For the backend compliance, to say it's difficult to use is an understatement. But in summary for the experience with Elavon is that their support will threaten you over a live chat rather than provide you with the information needed or help you in any meaningful way. I don't typically write reviews, but when it gets to the point that the support isn't helpful, you can't be directed to speak to anyone else and... when you ask to send a compliant etc, the individual just tells you to send the information to them... well it's indicative of this companies internal policies.

Pros:

It works as a payment gateway and seems to have been set up correctly to function.

Cons:

The backend compliance isn't user friendly but their support is even worse.

Matthew
Food & Beverages, 51–200 Employees

Theft - stay away

Pros:

They were excellent before they started stealing money.

Cons:

Had an account with Helcim/Elavon. They decided to split and I stuck with Helcim. Little did I know, Elavon had a separate account and were charging us $99.99 monthly under the generic description, "Merchant Fees" which I didn't catch for quite some time. When I finally found out it was Elavon over a year later, I called for a refund, was hung up on several times and was refused a refund despite never receiving a single notice by mail, email, call or text about my "contract" or bill. I had recommended Helcim/Elavon for years, but it looks like Helcim was doing the good work for customer service. This industry lives and dies by reputation and Elavon has decided to take shortcuts for quick profits at the expense of long-term gains. What they are doing is theft. Stay away.

Amber
Office Staff in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Easy to Use, Great Customer Service

Comments: It has been great. If I have ever had any questions on a transaction, I have always been able to call in and get my question answered.

Pros:

We mostly use this software for installments for payment plans. The set up of the installments and the maintenance of them is easy and user friendly.

Cons:

There is nothing that I dislike about this software. It is easy to use and implement and it is reliable.

Roxana
Stylist in Canada
Wholesale, Self Employed

They dont care about costumer service

Comments: Sucks it is true no one helps you fo yourself a favor stay away

Pros:

Nothing at all n ot good no one helps no one care they just charge hudge

Cons:

I can't talk to no one they put you on hold forever

Julie
office manager in US
Automotive, 2–10 Employees

Elavon -BI

Pros:

We love have a POS machine in our office for our repair shop payments.

Cons:

We wish Elavon thru Bank Independent was compatible with Frazer.

Robert
Sr. Full Stack Developer in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Superb and Secure Payment Processing

Pros:

The customer service team was extremely helpful while setting up and configuring the payment gateway

Cons:

Required a lot of interactions with the account managers