15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Benchling

Unified, cloud-based productivity platform for scientists, managers, and executives at biotechnology R&D organizations.

Learn more about Benchling

Pros:

Inventory building is very useful in this software.

Benchling ratings

4.6
4.4
4.9
4.6

9.4/10

Benchling has an overall rating of 4.9 out 5 stars based on 20 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Benchling before?

Jennifer
Jennifer
Post Doctoral Research Fellow in US
Higher Education Software, 51–200 Employees

Lab friendly online notebook and so much more

Comments: Having all the laboratory notes online in an issue to use format allows for quick sharing of protocols and real-time collaboration on the same projects.

Pros:

Benchling is easy to use, great for everyday notes and protocol design. It makes sharing experimental details and lab notes simple. In addition, easy to search for keywords throughout all the notebooks, never lose data or key pieces of information again. The molecular biology suite is the best, easy cloning and sequences alignments.

Cons:

Would love to have access to sample repository and tracking but need the paid version. Better integration with storage options for big data.

Jessica
Life Science Research Professional 1 in US
Research, 10,000+ Employees

Wonderful digital lab notebook

Comments: Overall, Benchling has been wonderful for switching from an archaic experiment documentation system to a well organized, collaborate online system.

Pros:

Benchling is a very useful tool for organizing and collaborating on scientific data online. Online notebooks make it very easy to record and find previous data, which you will always have to cross reference much later after your experiment. The different folders and entries are very easy to organize, and you can create shared collaborative documents as well as your own private notebooks.

Cons:

One small Con is that adding figures/images to the entries takes up a lot of space in the notebook, since text and other images/tables/figures cannot wrap around each other. This means that if you're including many images, your entry will be very long, and you can't include too many images together.

Stephanie
Research Associate in US

Benchling Implementation at Tenaya

Comments: Overall, Benchling has hugely helped our company to come together to decide what the important pieces of our work are that we need to capture, and how to efficiently pass information off team to team. The implementation team has been incredibly helpful in the process.

Pros:

I am thrilled to be able to easily tailor the software to the individual needs of scientists as everyone plays incredibly different roles, but we all come together to look at the data as a whole to make large company decisions. We have not been using the software as an entire company just yet, but we have liked the implementation process with Benchling's support to create the platform our company needs to be successful.

Cons:

One of the challenges we have found as we've begun to use Benchling more is that there are some features we've gotten used to using and rely on, but then they will disappear. We understand Benchling is constantly changing and tweaking to better help R&D, but some changes come out of nowhere and mess some of our plans up. Most changes are minor here or there, but when needing to count on a software for easier day-to-day use you need the simple things to work.

Suomia
Graduate Student in US
Hospital & Health Care, 2–10 Employees

Comments: Over all, I honestly love benchling. Its so useful when it comes to cloning and helps visualize the plasmids so easily for me, and students that I teach. I love how I can edit and work on my projects easily, and there is so much easy ways to edits and write notes for reference. I will continue to use benchling in the future b/c i love it so much!

Pros:

Because I work with plasmids, the primer creation and alignment tool are my favorite parts of Benchling. I often need to create primers to double check my plasmid is correct and they have been so easy to make! Especially since benchling remembers the primers that I make, and logs them in by name and location on the plasmid for future reference. The alignment tool has also saved me alot of time when it comes to double checking my plasmid size and inserts.

Cons:

While i get the location and placement of the Projects tab, that has been a frequent headache to me. It brings up issues when projects are shared by other people in the lab and they only allow me to just see the project and not edit it. I feel like there should be a tool where we can take a project someone shares with us, and edit it and save it easily to our own files. Constantly copying and pasting plasmids from one location to another gets annoying after the 30th plasmid.

Megan
PhD Candidate in US
Research, 501–1,000 Employees

Our lab loves this website

Comments: Overall I'd highly recommend this for any academic lab planning to use an ELN.

Pros:

This is a great way to have a collaborative electronic lab notebook among a lab. Easy to share protocols and lab notes, and it's also easy to update the notebook by date and topic. Overall it will be hard to go back to a printed lab notebook after using Benchling. I also like the sequence feature, I refuse to use anything else (ex. Geneious, ApE) for sequence analysis.

Cons:

Sometimes it can be slow, especially when uploading files to the notebook pages. Also, it would be nice to have photos in a grid form rather than one per line in the notebook. It can make the entries lengthy if there are so many pictures (ex. plate pictures).

Thomas
Sr research assistant in US
Pharmaceuticals, 501–1,000 Employees

The best molecular biology software I ever used in 10years+ of research

Comments: I use it almost everyday when I have cloning to do or protein analysis and I love it. I used a lot of different software in the past and this one is the best by far.

Pros:

It is great to use, super easy to go from DNA to protein. Easy to visualize everything and to align sequences. I just can't do without anymore.

Cons:

I would like the restriction enzyme sites to be better highlighted on the sequence sometime, but it is really minor.

Zachary
Postdoctoral Scholar in US
Higher Education Software, 2–10 Employees

Intuitive, Effective, Impactful

Pros:

Benchling lets me organize all of my cloning projects and plasmid maps easily and rapidly. It has been an essential tool to both my graduate and post-graduate careers as an academic.

Cons:

As an educator, I work with a number of undergrads training them to clone. The one major problem I've had with Benchling is how easy the cloning wizards make designing constructs. Students come to me with the right primers and right strategy, but when pressed often admit to using the cloning wizard to come to the answer -- not the best moments for me as an educator when I want to challenge them, but certainly a testament to how easy (and powerful!) the software package is!

Biotechnology, 11–50 Employees

Benchling is a nice tool for molecular biology

Comments: I have been using Benchling for a few years and I am always happy with it. It has been continuously improving and they really care about the needs of their users.

Pros:

The user interface is very intuitive and friendly. The functions are very powerful. It is a very nice replacement of many expensive commercial softwares.

Cons:

Some functions are limited to company users.

Aurore-Cecile
Research Assistant in US
Research, 201–500 Employees

Essential tool for Molecular Biology projects

Comments: This tool is a must have when doinv molecular biology to get organized, save sequncing result and share projects. Much more easy to use than many other softwares.

Pros:

Easy to visualize nuckeotude sequence and translation in amino acid. Possibility to save protein sequence as well. Wonderfyl tool for seqyence alignment and anylyze sequancing results. Essential tool for lab database and sharing map.

Cons:

The only thing I don't like is the restriction enzyme tool. I found this tool and the management list not easy to use.

Janelle
Biomanufacturing Lead in Canada

Functional and Customizable

Pros:

How customizable all features are for your specific process and how willing and available customer support is to help.

Cons:

It is not intuitive for first time users and takes some practice to learn all the features.

Shabnam
Graduate Student in US
Research, 2–10 Employees

Benchling Review - Satisfactory

Comments: Overall, I have been very pleased with Benchling, and it has made cloning and sequencing alignment so much easier. I have recommended this software to my colleagues since it has been very helpful for my cloning work.

Pros:

I found Benchling to be very user-friendly, and easy to upload sequences. Additionally, I am able to keep my sequences and primers very organized by putting detailed descriptions/sections. Also, the assembly tools make cloning more clear and less room for error. Also, if I had any questions, the customer service providers were always helpful and accessible.

Cons:

Thus far, I have not found any missing features or any areas of improvement.

Guofeng
Postdoc in US
Biotechnology, 2–10 Employees

Michael lin lab ASAP team

Comments: User friendly and productive.

Pros:

I can easily use sharing folder to share the maps to my labmates.

Cons:

It's complicated to delete a file and inconvienent to undo my modification on my maps if i mistakenly delete or revised my sequence.

Douglas
Student in UK
Biotechnology, 10,000+ Employees

Best software for DNA sequences analysis

Pros:

Its interface is really friendly, it is easy to use, and has lots of analysis options for DNA sequences.

Cons:

When you open a saved sequence, the tab does not closes automatically, leaving many tabs open.

Saba
PhD STUDENT in UK
Biotechnology, 10,000+ Employees

Cheap and Best R&D Cloud platform for start-ups /labs

Comments: I am very satisfied and recommend to new labs or established lab to keep you data secure an trackable.

Pros:

Inventory building is very useful in this software.

Cons:

Sometimes, copying data or exporting data from benchhling to external folders are difficult

Wyatt
Research Assistant in US
Higher Education Software, 11–50 Employees

Great tool for molecular biology

Comments: Benchling has allowed us to maintain lab records and find old plasmids with ease. It satisfies all of our molecular biology organization needs.

Pros:

Makes organizing all of our lab plasmids incredibly easily. Simplifies sequencing and allows me to easily look at sequences at a glance.

Cons:

I don't understand why I can't just delete sequences without having to archive them first.

Sefanne
Laboratory coordinator in Netherlands
Research, 11–50 Employees

Perfect for designing, storing and sharing sequences

Pros:

Easy to use. Perfect for importing/exporting, modifying and analyzing DNA sequences. It's an essential tool for us when doing any cloning work and it visualizes everything nicely.

Cons:

Some functionalities take a little bit of figuring out but overall it's easy to use. Once you know some of the tips and tricks it's quick and instinctive to use

Bryan
Lab Assistant in US
Research, 11–50 Employees

BENCHLINGTASTIC!

Comments: Great interface to use!

Pros:

Benchling makes it easier to keep track of my experiments and stay organized with DNA templates, plasmids, etc.

Cons:

Sometimes hard to manipulate trash/archived files

Kristine
Assistant Professor in US
Research, 501–1,000 Employees

Great ELN and sequencing software

Pros:

Very easy to use, integrates with other software

Cons:

It took a little time to get used to it but once I did it was great. No complaints

Meghan
Graduate student in US
Biotechnology, 501–1,000 Employees

Great Product

Pros:

I think Benchling is easy to use and visually appealing. Great product!

Cons:

The product met all of my needs. So, there was nothing I disliked about it.

Amina
lab tech in US
Research, 2–10 Employees

Great Software!

Pros:

There are so many things that can be done and at no cost! This software is user-friendly and easy to work with.

Cons:

So far I have not experienced any troubles with this software.