PayPal Reviews

4.7 (23,734) Write a Review!

About PayPal

From payments to credit to fraud protection, PayPal Commerce Platform helps you meet your customers where they are.

Learn more about PayPal

Pros:

The ability to transfer funds and send payments is important. Good user interface and good easy usage.

Cons:

Asking clients to do this is embarrassing and it seriously impedes cash flow. It makes paypal a bad option for firms who only use it sporadically.

PayPal ratings

4.7
4.3
4.6
4.5

8.8/10

PayPal has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 23,734 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used PayPal before?

Filter reviews (23,739)

AUBREY L D
AUBREY L D
CEO in South Africa
Financial Services Software, 51-200 Employees

International payment system that stands as a gold standard

Comments: We now have a PayPal button on our website that indicates to clients that we accept PayPal payments and we now receive funds from everywhere. It is an easy to use wallet and you can make withdraws easily to your bank account or credit card.

Pros:

It has provided us with the opportunity to receive funds instantly from our clients from all over the world. All this happens at the best lowest expense possible. The most important thing you can create and send invoices very easily to clients. We are also able to request payments from clients. The choice to differentiate between personal and business accounts, of which they are all free to open, makes it more client focused. PayPal exchange rates to other currencies are also good than other companies that rob from clients by manipulating currency exchange rates. Buyer protection is another best feature to prevent fraudulent sellers from scamming clients.

Cons:

As much as paypal is making life simple and is helping building a global community, their introduction of fees when you are sending money to a friend across borders makes it unfair.

Jayson
Jayson
exec chef in Canada
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees

the in and outs of paypal

Comments: The overall money saved and speed if PayPal's services are a more then welcome addition to any buisness . With so many solutions for sending and receiving money for goods and services PayPal is an overall very cleverly designed software and would recommend it to anybody.

Pros:

the ability to make customizable invoices for pretty much anything is an amazing feature. yiu are ability set payment dates and reminders for your customers, comes in handy when yiu have many streams if revenue and sources. organization us key to success. You can also accept payments or make refunds in many different currencies and do this on your mobile,home or at the office with no process time. furthermore if you dont know they also have a money order service that allows you to send money any where in the world at very little cost. switching from the old services i was using for the restaurant to do all of this has saved $10k+ every year, cant get much better then that.

Cons:

The ability to run a line if credit would be something that would improve overall value of PayPal's service. I would like to see some kind if reward system put in place for individual and buisness clients for frequent use, also the ability to use Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies would be a good addition as as the days go one more and more people use them for there everyday spending/saving and investing opportunities.

Amy
Owner in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Great features and a lot of value

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall, I enjoy the service of PayPal. It’s easy to learn and get comfortable with. The App is convenient and simple to use.

Pros:

I enjoy using the App and the ease of syncing the features to my Business website.

Cons:

I don’t like the high fees when selling an item.

Melinda
Educatior in Canada
Education Management, 2-10 Employees

Stay Away! Does not take Fraud Protection Seriously!

1.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Payment Processing is clearly not important to PayPal…well if you have any issues with scammers. As a regular customer I ran into an issue where scammers were posing as PayPal and ended up scamming me $1000. Instead of simply reversing the charges PayPal told me that it it doesn’t follow under their policy because I put the payment through family and friends instead of goods and services, because the “PayPal” representative that sent the emails (who I trusted because they were PayPal…or I thought were PayPal) had advised to process the payment that way. When I made a dispute it was quickly rejected by the PayPal team and basically shit out of luck. I contacted my bank as well and they were much more helpful I. This process. I contacted PayPals customer team to see if there was anything they could do but ran into a brick wall again. I had advised them that the scammers are smart and know about this loophole and are taking advantage of PayPals customers because of their policy and if they triply cared about their customers they would update their policy to help protect their customers. I feel violated, unsafe and DO NOT recommend this product to anyone who wants to be treated like a human being. PayPal really needs to wise up and crack down hard on scammers before I even consider going back to them. Think twice about going to this company for payment processing!

Pros:

Ease of payments. It was really nice having the ease of a quick button. However, it is not safe and do not recommend on any level until PayPal thinks about changing their protection policy.

Cons:

Their policy of fraud protection. I ran into an issue and because the scammers had duped me and advised that the payments needed to go through friends and family option instead of goods and services that’s what I did…which they know does not provide safe protection to people using PayPal.

Roldan
Roldan
Senior Web Designer | Developer in Philippines

PayPal Never Change All These Years - Still Way Too Complicated To Use!

Comments: 50-50. I mean, PayPal is very promising. If not only for there bad UX or bad user experience design. They really need to brush this thing up.

Pros:

- Well, PayPal is an institution when it comes to online Payment System. So, I like it that they are there giving me options when all other options fail.- I was able to use PayPal personally and in business without much issue about security and othe disputes.- I was able to use it with my Website Projects, when clients needs a quick payment integration without much fuss on the buying side of things

Cons:

- PayPal is still way too complicated to integrate with WordPress. There are times that you just need to enter email and password, and it gets integrated. Sometimes, it takes you a day or two to be able to do it.- Still not user friendly. Deskop and Mobile version needs UX Design revamp. The conversion between currencies in your account still confusing. Sometimes you fund appears as US Dollar, sometimes it appears as your native currency. - sandboxing dashboard and account pretty much looks like your active/live account. The only way you notice you are in a sandbox is when you see the domain says "sandbox.paypal.com". In contrast with Stripe, where it sends you a contrasting feedback that says "Testing Account" - you won't be able to miss it out.- Currency Conversion is NOT at par with the current market exchange rate! Sometimes, the exchange is two dollar short.

adel
Freelancer in Egypt
Computer Software, Self Employed

Trusted online payment is PayPal

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: The site that I trusted in transferring money and profits is PayPal, the personal information and making the case is safe. The matter was relative at the beginning of my work as Freelancer. It was incomprehensible in profit-taking operations, and what facilitated the process for me because of its ease of use is PayPal, To the extent that one does not occupy his mind with anything because everything is organized, and you receive a message to complete the process which provided me with confidence is that many institutions have been registered as a partner of PayPal in buying and selling its operations, which made it a global institution, and this makes the user feel safe for his digital financial transactions, Customer service is superb that they work with me to solve any obstacle, if any in responding in a timely manner while respecting the user's time. In fact, it's one of the best services and leading mobile payment solutions according to our evaluations.

Pros:

•Secure means of payment• Financing various options• Comprehensive online and personal payment solutions• PayPal is straightforward to use – it’s terribly an easy thanks to send cash to friends and family• Using PayPal offers you an additional level of security and fraud prevention. If you acquire a purchase exploitation PayPal that finally ends up being fraudulent, PayPal will facilitate get you a reimbursement• PayPal encrypts your bank or MasterCard info, keeping that information safe• No fees for causing cash to friends and family

Cons:

• The website is slow to load IF I actually have multiple screens open. Which can some time separate the performance issue, the website is slow while using IF I truly have to open multiple screens. Which can some time effect the performance

Yazan
Sales representative in Jordan
Wholesale, 51-200 Employees

PayPal Payments Services

5.0 last month New

Comments: finding online jobs became easy with PayPal because I will not be worried for how they are going to pay me , online payments , purchase , and being a prominent software to receive money through it. payment fees are not much , its doesn't bother me at all.If you someone wants to send me money overseas , I would recommend PayPal for sure.

Pros:

easy to use, secure , you can depend on , trustworthy , it combines between being the most secure and user-friendly software , integration was not difficult , payment fees is a reasonable comparing to its competitors , and I feel that they are not greedy as others.

Cons:

there is a one little thing would make this software perfect , Issuing a credit card for PayPal ( with PayPal name on it ,that you can use it for withdrawal from local banks , and in malls , stores , local shops and any place who accepts visa or Mastercard , because as you know any credit card in the world have to be linked to either visa or Mastercard to work in local places.

maxime
maxime
CEO in Cameroon
Civil Engineering, 501-1,000 Employees

good way to do business

5.0 last month New

Pros:

PayPal is great for anyone doing business online because it allows for international transactions and allows banks to receive money transfers through its channel.

Cons:

What really saddens me with this software is that not all of its functions are available in all countries of the world in Africa for example it is not possible to receive money via PayPal

Kathy
Kathy
Customer Experience Data Analyst in US
Insurance Software, 10,000+ Employees

A crucial payment partner.

Comments: Paypal is among the payment methods that are available to some of our customers. Paypal provides extra layers of protection for the customer and their payment details.

Pros:

Paypal provides the end - user with a sense of confidence, that they can always file claims, if they feel that they do not get quality for the service they pay for , using the Paypal platform. This helps us as a business as well, as it encourages the customer to be more willing to pay for our product offerings.

Cons:

Maybe as a result of the huge number of users that Paypal maintains , it takes way too long to get responses to email enquiries or complaints.

Coordinator in Mexico
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees

My go-to payment method

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall I really like it, use it all the time

Pros:

It is very safe, something I need when uploading personal information

Cons:

Sometimes the payment takes a couple of days to finalize

Lisa
Freelancer in US
Civic & Social Organization, Self Employed

A well known site got even more user friendly!

Comments: I used to use PayPal when selling or buying items in eBay only. Now I use it for my freelance business to send invoices, receive money from clients immediately, and either hold it there in PayPal or move it to my bank account. With a PayPal ATM Card, PayPal is like having a separate savings account without the hassles if having to go to a bank to apply for an account. The privacy and safety measures in place are top notch, and the added features make this a perfect way to send and request money whether for business or personal reasons.

Pros:

PayPal has come a long way. It’s always been the go to when selling online, but now it can be used to send and receive payments for anything! Linking directly to your bank account or holding the money for you with the add on of a PayPal ATM Card, it’s now made itself available at various retailers where you can pick up money anytime. Send a request for business services rendered or simply for a friend to pay half for dinner. Send money to purchase items or simply as a gift to someone. PayPal’s charges very reasonable amounts for immediate transactions or you can go the free way and wait a day for your money to be moved. With so many new features, PayPal is the new way to send and receive money immediately.

Cons:

I can honestly say there isn’t much I don’t like about PayPal. As someone who does Freelance work for a living, I have yet to find a con with its services.

Founder in US
Music, Self Employed

PayPal is an Essential Payment Provider with Amazing Features for Every Business

Comments: Overall, my experience with PayPal has been very positive. From the ease of use, convenience and safety of transferring money, PayPal remains one of my top choices for business transactions, especially when dealing with customers and merchants overseas.

Pros:

PayPal takes the globe and makes it feel small. Through the payment services PayPal offers, anyone can do business from anywhere, and know that their money, as well as the money of their customers, is safe and secure. PayPal makes it easy to send and receive money. I love PayPal's ability to convert currency easily, as well as the "instant transfer" feature where you can receive money instantly into your bank account from PayPal. I also love that when you receive money, you can use it as "PayPal cash" to pay for other transactions, or deposit it into a linked checking account. While there are several other payment providers available, the features and ease of use that PayPal offers makes it a top performer, and must-have for any business.

Cons:

PayPal is truly amazing, and overall has great features. The one downside is the excessive fees. From the instant transfer fees, to the payment fees, etc, PayPal certainly takes its share of revenue. If the fees were lowered, or even eliminated in some cases, PayPal would be the top choice for just about every business.

Director of Marketing and Communications in US
Performing Arts, 11-50 Employees

PayPal easily connects our non profit business with donors.

Comments: For anyone trying to solve a purchase/payment problem without having a formal bank arrangement, this is a great solution. And its software can be included with almost every POS system we looked at.

Pros:

We needed away for our non-profit fundraising arm, which is separate, to sell product and collect funds for their initiatives, but with a paper trail that helps us document those donors and their activity. PayPal was very simple to integrate into our point-of-sale system, like it literally took one minute. The reporting and transaction history is thorough and allows for refunds, shipping, and every kind of documentation we need.

Cons:

The portion that PayPal takes per transaction is a little high, for us, but we do see the value. It would be helpful if the organization (vs. a person) could have a log in, maybe with multiple users.

Ross
PM in US
Computer Software, 5,001-10,000 Employees

#1 solution for non-credit card payments

Comments: Robust payment solution for both personal and business use. Fast, secure and used widely across the US. Less popular in other countries and has issues with customer support, but overall this is still the industry standard for payments other than via credit cards.

Pros:

I use PP for both personal and business purposes. Personal: 1. Extremely easy to use: simple interface, intuitive functions. 2. Send money to friends, receive money from friends - transferring money among people via PP has become as natural as finding information on Google. 3. Apps are very high quality, stable and reliable Business: 1. Payments collection: PP has a great reputation for use on websites that don't instill a lot of confidence. Which is basically any website that is not Amazon, Walmart and maybe a few others. My business falls into the category of "unknown", which automatically makes customers reluctant to pay with a credit card. PayPal is the way to go, about 60% of all transactions on my website are done via PP. 2. Invoice functionality is great - especially with the reminder feature. 3. Even for people who don't have PP, it offers an option to pay w/Credit Card through the PP interface. 4. Integrations with other services (besides Venmo) are great. For example, integration with Woocommerce / Wordpress. 5. The option of a credit/debit card is fantastic.

Cons:

1. Customer support is terrible. Usually everything goes great, but if there's a problem - good luck trying to get it resolved. If Amazon is around 10 on the customer support scale, PP is closer to 2 or 3. 2. PP is not popular in other parts of the world besides the US, which makes it difficult to have business with other countries. For example, it would be almost impossible to pay an Easter Europe freelancer. 3. Business reporting is buggy. The reports seem to be disconnected from reality or just don't show the needed info. 4. Some features on the website are buggy or lacking, for example transactions search: you can't just search by a sub-string of a keyword. First, you need to select a category (first name, last name, email, etc), then you have to write the whole term. Unnecessarily cumbersome and so 2001. 5. Zero synergies from Venmo integration. You'd think that owning Venmo would make it easy to use the same login and other features across the two products. Wrong - those are still two separate services with no cross-integrations whatsoever.

Kristen
Owner in US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

PayPal is trusted and recognized - Very Useful!

Comments: PayPal makes it easy and secure to send and receive payments. The sign-up process is simple and secure. It is easy to add an account. PayPal has a clean, easy-to-navigate interface that puts everything right in front of you. You can find your account balance or what you're looking for right away. You can send payment requests to friends or clients, or send money to others from your bank account. Many online retailers accept PayPal, allowing you to pay online securely.

Pros:

PayPal is one of the most well-known, trusted, and recognized brands when it comes to e-commerce and online financial transactions. Because of it's recognition, it's a name people trust. Offering PayPal as a method of pay to prospective clients or buyers is an easy way to allow people to spend their money with you. Using PayPal as a customer gives you a feeling of security that less recognizable brands don't offer.

Cons:

Customer support for PayPal is not as robust as one would hope for a company dealing with financial transactions. Additionally, PayPal is one of the many online companies that struggle to find a balance in mediating disputes between buyers and sellers of online products and services. This sometimes results in legitimate gripes about PayPal making it too easy for scammers to get money out of honest online retailers. This problem is not unique to PayPal and it will take the whole internet and legal communities to solve.

samuel
samuel
Chief Executive Officer in Nigeria
Graphic Design Software, Self Employed

Convenient & Widely Acceptable Online Payments System but...

Comments: No doubt, PayPal is a very convenient payments system available on the internet. With easy integration with valid credit card, users can easily make payment for any service that accept PayPal payment, send money to friends and family, and transact with online vendors all over the world. As a user since 2014, i will gladly recommend PayPal for anyone, especially for Freelancers that sell their products and offer services online which will help them receive their payment at ease, but the payment receiving feature needs to be available for their country.

Pros:

One of the biggest advantages of PayPal is the easy online payments system which is widely accepted by online vendors, big e-commerce stores and other businesses. PayPal allow users to send out money and also receive payment, which made it easy for two individuals to carry out business transactions or send money as a gift to friends or families. One of the best features of PayPal is the easy integration with user’s Local Bank Account; users can link their Credit Cards to their PayPal account, make transactions with PayPal and get debited on the Bank Account. Another advantage of PayPal is the security, they takes security tightly, secure logins like 2FA to prevent user’s from hackers, also each transactions are monitored and any foul suspect will result to cancellation and account will be limited for verification. PayPal has also helped me from scammers and getting out of bad deals, they have a good refund policy that help buyers get their money back easily if the deal goes wrong. Other advantages are keeping of all general transactions histories which can be easily printed and a straightforward user interface which makes it easy to use and understand. PayPal have a mobile app that makes PayPal easier to use, the app is available on both Android phones and iPhones; all online functions are available on-the-go.

Cons:

Even with the good reputation online, PayPal can be very frustrating with different disadvantages. A major problem with PayPal is the customer support, contacting those guys can be very frustrating, using the email takes forever before they reply, calling their mobile phone takes time before you’re connected to available support which is very expensive since it’s international call. PayPal really needs to improve their customer support and at least be less aggressive with rules, which is another problem with PayPal; example of the limitation of accounts on slightest things, even though security is important to make users safe on the internet, PayPal however takes security a little too much, a simple change in account’s activities can result to limitation of user’s account which can only be resolve with ID verification and reviews. Another con to PayPal is the limitation of some countries from having full access to their services, my country in particular can only send out funds and pay for services but we can’t receive funds, which aren’t good for business, I have to find alternative to receive payments online. The last one I can think of is the transactions fees, unlike other competitors; PayPal doesn’t have stable fees, sometimes PayPal can charge up to 50% of total transaction amount, which isn’t encouraging.

Tyler
Freelancer in US
Graphic Design Software, Self Employed

Has everything you need but can be more efficient when navigating

Comments: Overall PayPal is great for business and personal needs, but can definitely use a few tweaks to further enhance the users experience. I would highly recommend it for anyone to use.

Pros:

I love and rely on the "quick links" on the dashboard, as the icons help make things quick and easy to navigate to where you need to go. I almost exclusively use these buttons as opposed to the top menu bar, as it doesn't feel the most user friendly. Sending invoices work very well providing plenty of options. You enter in your clients information, and have the choice to save as a draft, copy the link to the invoice, or send to their email. Having these options are so vital, because each client may have different preferences. Transferring money to friends and family is 100% free of charge, and very easy to use (especially on the mobile app). So many marketplaces and online shops nowadays have PayPal integrated which is great, as it can speed up the checkout process, while providing an extra layer of protection from your card or other payment methods being compromised you wouldn't have otherwise.

Cons:

Page load time can feel slow, if the time can be cut it'd be more pleasant to use. The interface on the dashboard can feel cluttered at times, this makes it a bit difficult to find exactly what I need. Some of the menus I feel can be simplified / optimized. No dark mode option. I use PayPal at night quite often and having this can make it easier on the eyes. No built-in PayPal transaction fee estimator / calculator. I'd love to see how much PayPal will take from the total transaction of a business invoice. I always find myself using a third party tool to calculate the fees, which takes time away from getting invoices out quick. The money in / money out side panel on the dashboard. I feel it can be combined into one, and don't care much for the "At a glance" displaying recent invoices section as I normally go to the manage invoice page to see everything I need. No "Send Money" button below balance. Would love to see an additional button right below the PayPal balance box on the dashboard, and have it labeled as "Send Money"

Ashkan
Research Assistant in US
Civil Engineering, 10,000+ Employees

Popular and Trustworthy

Comments: I have been using PayPal for the past year, and I strongly recommend it to anyone who needs to send or receive money or buy online. Compared to other platforms like Venmo or Cash App, PayPal has at least one advantage and that is popularity. That makes PayPal the most convenient money transferring app to use. Also, being a good app does not make you popular. The app should be perfect to become popular, and I think PayPal is very close to being perfect.

Pros:

This is how I started using PayPal; I opened an account in a matter of seconds, added my debit cards from the banks I have account in and credit card info into my account, and now I don’t even use the physical cards anymore. I use PayPal for sending and receiving money and buying online. It is very convenient, and every online shopping website and merchant that I have used accepts paying with PayPal. My friends and I use PayPal to send money to each other every day. Recently PayPal has added a new handy feature called “money pool”. With this feature, you can gather money for a specific reason. I have used this feature many times. The first time I was in charge of throwing a birthday party for one of my friends. At first, it seemed like trouble knowing that I have to ask from everyone for their share of expenses. But then I found this feature in PayPal, I created a pool, and easily everyone paid their share. The money came right into my PayPal account in a matter of seconds, and thanks to PayPal the party was amazing. Another reason I love PayPal is that I can support my favorite charity in the app, which I find very convenient. Also, from time to time you can find great deals on online shopping websites if you pay through PayPal. I have used many of these deals and saved a lot of money by just using PayPal.

Cons:

No matter how good PayPal is, there is still some space to improve. Sometimes transferring my balance to my bank account takes more than three business days, and it would be great if PayPal could improve the speed of the balance transferring process. Many of my friends prefer to use other apps just because of this and they need to transfer money instantly. Although there is an option for faster transfer, other apps can do it without charging for a fee. Also, it would be great if the customer could ask directly from PayPal for a refund, and not the merchant.

Dorothy
Subprioress in US
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees

"You've got cash!"

Comments: We have not had any problems so far, and I believe that our income has increased due to allowing people to register and pay online. We haven't made a detailed analysis of that yet, but it seems that way. PayPal is easy for us to use and easy for people who want to pay online to use too. Overall, it gets a high grade from us.

Pros:

We chose PayPal because it has a history and a reputation. Although there are plenty of others out there, we felt most secure in a company with its reputation. It was a little tricky to set up because of financial security concerns, but we received the help we needed and it didn't take too long. PayPal has lots of options but we only use some basic ones: we use it on our website to allow people to pay for their retreat and program registrations. It interfaces nicely with Retreat Booking Guru which we began using at the same time. We have a choice between doing a daily "sweep" of our funds into our bank account, or doing it manually ourselves. To date we do it manually. I'm in charge of this, and at the same time I do a money transfer, I print out a PayPal report for our bookkeeper so that she knows what's happening. She of course sees our bank statements, but my reports help her make sense of them. Because we are a nonprofit, we get a lower rate than a commercial enterprise would. The monthly rate we pay in addition is a fair one, we think, and there is no charge for transferring funds to our bank. We like PayPal; it seems to work very well and it is a big help to us.

Cons:

I'm not impressed with the reports generated by PayPal. I have a choice of downloading a report they generate, which doesn't have all the information I'd like, or simply printing what shows on the Activity page. When I do that, the column headings are shifted so they aren't over the right columns. But at least I get the info I want and in a font large enough to read. In the overall picture, this is something I can live with.

Software Engineer in US

More Than Just a Payment Gateway

Comments: PayPal has made online shopping easier for me because of its secure nature and the fact that they always ensure the buyer's protection. I am also a seller in ebay and their connectivity with that platform helps me a great deal in receiving my payments at a small fee. Receiving money for my professional services is just as superb as those features.

Pros:

With all the features packed in this software, the top-most in my list is PayPal's ability to make secure payments and guarantees. When I was working remotely and part-time for the company I am working for now, they used to pay me via PayPal. Not only was my payment fast, it is also secure and I can use my local bank in my home country to deposit my PayPal balance to. Oftentimes, I choose to keep the money in PayPal because it allows me to securely pay for online purchases. If I see a PayPal logo in one of the payment options in an online store, then I know I am safe. Their customer support is also commendable, very easy people to talk to and will take time to sincerely understand your inquiries.

Cons:

Of course, tight security is always combined with some inconvenience. I made sure that my PayPal is enabled with 2FA using my US phone. When I travel to my home country, it is expensive to use roaming so I usually use a local cell number instead of my US number. This is where it becomes difficult for me to use PayPal because I cannot login at all or use it for online purchases because of this security I placed. It's not really much of inconvenience since I don't travel a lot of of the country, still, I wish there's an easier way I could switch to one security mode to another. Maybe it might be better if they support an app-based 2FA like Google Authenticator so I don't have to worry about logging in whether I have access to my phone or not.

Owner - Web Designer/Developer/Marketer in US
Insurance Software, Self Employed

Paypal the good and the bad

Comments: Overall, paypal is a good service, there are flaws of course but it does what it needs to. I've had clients have horrible experiences with them (held money and such), but I've got some clients that love them, I use them myself as well as they are convenient. My suggestion to most clients is to not allow a large amount of money to remain in the account at any given time, manually transfer to bank regularly or utilize the debit card to withdraw cash....but the service is reliable, easy to setup and use.

Pros:

Paypal is very quick and easy to get set up and ready to accept payments, I think that's often the biggest draw to Paypal. Sending money to someone is easy and fast as well. There are multiple integration options to utilize Paypal to accept payments on your website, so you'll definitely find the right solution for you. The Paypal debit card is convenient as its much faster than transferring to your bank. Most of the time, the service works very well...but when you do have an issue, customer service is not great.

Cons:

Unlike all other credit card processors, Paypal holds your money until you manually transfer it, this means if Paypal feels you have violated their terms of service, they can and will put a hold on your money. And the money held by them is not FDIC insured as it would be in a bank. Transferring money to your bank is slowwwww...but of course transfer from your bank is instantaneous. The fees are higher than a traditional merchant account/online processor scenario, but there's no setup fees and as stated above, it's very easy and quick to get setup and started right away. It's nearly impossible to find a phone number to customer service...and they aren't always very helpful.

Edwin
Community Engagement Officer in UK
Sporting Goods, 11-50 Employees

Easiest way of online paying and receiving money

Pros:

Buyer protection: When buying a product online and a seller sends a wrong/damaged/fake item you can ask Paypal to step in. Seller protection: When buyers complain about an item that you sold them, while having it accurately described OR when a buyer returns an item but instead of the actual item returns something else Paypal will actually step in and protect the seller. It also protects you against fraud. I would advice to keep evidence of sold goods and for valuable items obtain tracking details. Paypal has a competitive credit facility through paypal credit. With often several months interest free on purchases. Paypal loans are excellent for businesses. Especially when running an online business, the fees on especially small loans are incredibly low (especially compared to loan sharks, and even compared to a bank), repayments also work very straight forward. Sending and receiving money is also dead easy, sending money non commercially to friends and family is done by just filling in the amount and the email address of the receiver and click send. On the receiving end it tends to be there within seconds and you can withdraw it immediately to your bank account. Generally it is even processed the same day (even international transfers)

Cons:

There is not a lot I dont like about paypal. Their fees are quite reasonable. The main thing I dislike is probably their foreign currency exchange rate, which is not that great. However you won't be paying too much if anything in fees, especially compared to banks or even money transfer companies like Western Union or Moneygram who can charge quite a bit even on small amounts.

Tamara
Web Developer in US

Easiest Payment Option

Comments: After a photo session with a large family, the parents are often times a little overwhelmed with getting everything together. So I simple let them know that I have paypal. And pretty much every time they look relieved and glad they don't have to worry about another thing. It's a few clicks and the money is sent. It really is that easy. And I think it takes the burden off of my clients to try and remember everything they need for the day of the photoshoot. And I don't have to worry about getting paid. Paypal will send me a notification when someone pays me. Which is just another bonus.

Pros:

I remember when Paypal started to show up on Ebay years ago. It helped do the basics of purchasing things more securely than just using a debit card. But It has grow so much more. I use paypal for everything. It's so easy to access. Their app I've never had issues with and its easy to navigate. I use it to pay rent, pay my phone bill, send money, and receive money. One of the things that I also enjoy that paypal offers is paypal credit. Depending on your credit score you are allowed to borrow a certain amount of money. First few months it was $700 for me and now its $1100. You get up to six months to pay it off. You do have to pay a small fee but if you pay it off by the 6 months there is no interest. Another thing that I just recently signed up for is the paypal cash. Paypal now offers what looks like a debit card (no numbers just a chip) and you can load it up with cash from your bank account and use it to pay for things online and in stores. I just ordered it (its free) and its in the mail on its way.

Cons:

I do wish paypal credit would help improve your credit score. It doesn't impact your credit in anyway that I know of so you can't grow your credit score. Which to me is a huge loss since I use paypal everyday and pay it off right away. One other thing- though this honestly has nothing to do with paypal. I wish more companies used it! Its a secure way to check out yet it's only used by maybe half of the companies I buy from.

Consultant in UK

Paypal - Payment Solutions for Business

Comments: We use Paypal to process payments from a number of websites and increasingly we use Paypal for client invoicing and payments. This often leads to faster payments than traditional invoicing and BACS processing. If you take occasional credit card payments over the phone, a Paypal business account can be a better option than a typical merchant account from one of the mainstream banks. Paypal has proved very reliable over the years and on the odd occasion when we have had to use customer services the response has been timely and satisfactory.

Pros:

Paypal is now widely recognised as a payment solution - reputation and trust are important when asking customers for payment - especially online. Paypal's key selling point is that users with a Paypal account do not have to enter card details on a website which makes the payment process safer for all concerned. Paypal has a global presence and can accept payments in most countries that you are likely to be dealing with. As a market leader, Paypal has good integrations with 3rd party tools like shopping carts. If a payment processor is going to be supported by a third party, Paypal is likely near the top of the list. Customers can make online payments without having a Paypal account. The virtual terminal feature is also useful for processing payments over the phone or setting up a web page for ad hoc payments. The invoicing feature does a good job of tracking payments and reminders.

Cons:

There can be occasional issues with late chargebacks and the resolution process is very much weighted against the merchant. A Paypal business account works well for online sellers with a certain volume/value of transactions; if you have larger volumes/values, there are other payment processing solutions that may be more cost effective.

Beth
US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Well, there's good and there's not so good

Pros:

PayPayl's good features are that almost everybody uses it, it's fast, you get a credit card to access your money, there are a lot of apps and widgets to incorporate PayPal payments into your website if you're a retailer of any kind (I do use this in my art studio website). And it's one of Elon Musk's brain children, which generally is a great thing. I'm listing customer service as one of the cons, but I will say that the response time is fast, even if it's not what you want to hear. They don't bombard you with tons of emails. You have business and personal accounts to choose from and then can link your bank accounts to the card, so that if you're using it and it runs low, it will draw from your backup cards. Well, in theory - because I tried that the other day and it didn't work, which I'll mention in the cons as well. Yes, there are fees, but thankfully lower ones than for instance you'd see with a regular credit card. As a freelancer, it's a good method to use for transfer of payment for my services from different companies and individuals. Overall, I think it's OK, but there are some drawbacks I'll address below.

Cons:

I mentioned customer service, yes, it is fast. But you don't always hear what you want to hear. For instance (and this may also be an eBay drawback) I purchased something from eBay that arrived completely unlike the description. Contacted the seller who agreed to take the item back and refund the money upon receipt. Even after I had tracking to show the item had been re-delivered to the seller, he did not refund my money. In contacting both eBay and PayPal I got the runaround and eventually no money was ever returned. Another time, GoDaddy charged my account for web services on a renewing bill that I was unaware was going to renew without my approval (because I had planned to move providers). I contacted PayPal and put in a request to review this transaction because it was not authorized by me, and they determined the charge was "just fine" and no funds were returned to me and I am now stuck with GoDaddy for another year. So that kind of makes my experience with PayPal a little bitter. Apparently anyone can just take money and they'll do nothing. I also mentioned that having a backup card matched to your PayPal card will pull money from the account if you use the PayPal card and don't have enough in your account to cover the costs. I had left my credit card in the back pocket of my jeans after putting gas in my car and was out and tried to use my PayPal card and it didn't go through, despite having linked my accounts to PayPal. So, another bitter experience. If you want to get your money any other way than through the card they provide, it takes time to transfer funds or get a check. Also you can only go back so far in time to review transactions on your card. I was recently trying to find an account history for 2014 and there does not appear to be a way to access that information. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe eBay and PayPal are severing their love connection at some point and PayPal may not be the golden child of payment methods anymore in the the not-too-distant future, which could potentially bump it from the top of the heap as the most frequently used payment service eventually.