Checkr Reviews

4.7 (250) Write a Review!

About Checkr

AI-powered technology to help run background checks.

Learn more about Checkr

Pros:

It's easy to use and provides all the information we need for a reasonable price.

Cons:

Notifications are touch & miss. Sometimes I get an email that it cleared & sometimes I don't.

Checkr ratings

4.8
4.4
4.7
4.6

Checkr has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 250 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Checkr before?

Brett
Brett
Training manager in US
Food & Beverages, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Easiest background checker around!!

Comments: Checkr gives me the chance to look at the whole picture of someone I’m hiring giving me the chance to make a sound and safe hiring decision for the company.

Pros:

How easy it was to navigate around the site it wasn’t a long drawn out process like other sites!

Cons:

The lay out could have been better. Things placed in different areas than they were.

Thomas
Strategic Partner in US
Staffing & Recruiting, 501-1,000 Employees

Great Product to us

Comments: Solid

Pros:

Easy to use and good communication with customer support.

Cons:

Some responses are slow, but not necessarily due to Checkr and various county's are manual and slow to respond.

Marielle Francine
Marielle Francine
Talent Acquisition Manager in US
Food & Beverages, 501-1,000 Employees

Even their Customer Success leadership team don’t care

Comments: Trying to implement CC-MVR for more than half a year now and still not done. We’ve been through 3 different customer success managers, all seem to be disappearing whenever you’d follow up on something they said they would do. I reached out to senior level leaders multiple times and was promised help, but I have never felt as helpless with any other vendor I’ve worked with in the past as I am with Checkr. I went through the correct channels but nothing gets resolved. RUN AWAY AND GO WITH ANOTHER BACKGROUND CHECK SERVICE PROVIDER.

Pros:

Fountain and Lever integration User friendly consent form

Cons:

Their Customer Success team is the worst I have ever encountered in my career.

Marc Joseph
Customer Experience Agent in Philippines
Consumer Services, 10,000+ Employees

Is it a Check?

Comments: 8/10

Pros:

I love how all background check's that they're providing are all accurate.

Cons:

Some of the background check takes more than the estimated timeframe which is really frustrating.

Bryce
Training and Development Speecialist in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees

Wonderful software solution for a variety of businesses.

Comments: We have loved the ability to submit hundreds of background checks and to quickly and easily see their status/results.

Pros:

I like that Checkr is an easy-to use and well-supported online solution. We really appreciate the ability to pick and choose what features we want and that Checkr has a pricing solution for any combination of features.

Cons:

As with any background check system it can be frustrating when dealing with improper background check information or errors that come up when requesting a background check due to user (applicant) input error.

HR Strategy in US
Retail, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Vast Improvement Over Sterling

Pros:

Much more agile, easy to use, and cheaper than Sterling - a far, far better user experience for both the administrator and candidate.

Cons:

Nothing to note! Great customer service and lots of attention in the onboarding.

Joe
VP of Finance in US

Essential Tool in HR

Comments: Checkr provides an easy to use and essential background check solution that is transparent to employees/applicants. Pricing of the solution is fair and no subscription is needed. For larger organizations a more automated process would be best to use and new contenders have better APIs and automation. Check your use case and need for automation before deciding on a background check solution.

Pros:

- Transparent to employees and applicants that are being checked - Easy to use online interface - Very affordable yet comprehensive background check - Quick learning curve for new admins

Cons:

- Online interface is dated and could use a UI refresh - Notifications and automation could be more advanced

Camilo
Camilo
Talent Acquisition Specialist in Colombia
Logistics & Supply Chain, 501-1,000 Employees

Excelent product.

Comments: Has been a satisfactory experience since I have a faster background check to my applicants and let me know who I can take onboard on the team or not.

Pros:

How faster and easier to understand it is.

Cons:

I dont have any complaint untill now about it.

Mara
Central Office Manager in US
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees

Great Product When Working with Planning Center

Comments: Really good, very happy with the product.

Pros:

I like that Checkr integrates with our church software, Planning Center. Making its use by my staff really easy.

Cons:

It can be a little complicated on the back side if you're not sure what you're doing. I don't give many people access to that.

Angie
Talent Acquisition Specialist in US
Construction, 201-500 Employees

Great system

Comments: I like the system on how fast they are on getting the results!

Pros:

I like the process of background check, because it's fast.

Cons:

I wish their customer service was faster on replying or they had agents available to chat.

Alina
HCP Recruiter in Croatia
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 Employees

Fast background checks all done online

Comments: I love using Checkr, is easy, has multiple reports you can run, makes onboarding easier, looks and sounds legit and they keep you informed of the progress.

Pros:

Checkr is easy to use, you can send the invite to candidates quickly and effortlessly via email but also send a direct link if needed. The whole process is easy for the user and in most cases, you get results quickly - sometimes in minutes. If the candidate is scheduling an appointment to get a TB test or Physical exam you can check where they scheduled the appointment. It's also possible to resend invited that expired. Search is easy and you can easily take a look if a report is complete. The background check process has clearly mentioned steps and you can track the process live. Checker is giving you an estimate of the duration and they are great at informing users via email whenever they have important updates.

Cons:

When sending invites they often end up in the Spam/Junk folder so we need to give a heads up to candidates to check there as well. If sending more than one invite the link in the email will always bring the candidate on the same page (asking to fill in name, surname, contact phone, and email... they get confused when they have to do it over and over clicking on each link in every email they get. I feel Checkr is super busy, with a lot of users, and support is overwhelmed and therefore slow to respond, sometimes takes days/weeks.

Adam
VP of Risk Management in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 10,000+ Employees

Always Engaged With Our Company's Goals

Comments: Always engaged with us and our goals. Great communication!

Pros:

Integration makes it all super easy! I really appreciate the hands on help our reps provide.

Cons:

Customization needs for us aren't quite met at this point.

Joy Cristy
costumer experience agent in Hong Kong
Telecommunications, 10,000+ Employees

Advantage and disadvantage of Checkr

Comments: Their is no problem at all, if I'm being honest, I wish that the Checkr will go directly on the candidate page like so we do not need to search them manually because sometimes, it can eat all our time and our AHT will be affected and we don't want that. However, using Checkr on check the BGC on our drivers is its very punctual and easy to use and utilize.

Pros:

The features that is most impactful, specially to us, is the background check. Using this we are able to see their BGC result and assess what action we will take based on that. Also, we do not need to send the details of the result of their BGC because Checkr have an automated message that comes through the driver's email once their BGC result is ready or if they have an issue regarding to that. Plus, Checkr is so easy and convenient to use, whether you are first timer. We can definitely process easily with the help of this software.

Cons:

The cons that I can see on using Checkr is that when we search the drivers manually using their name, email, or even UUID, it sometimes occupy alot of our time. It takes 2-3 minutes before its shows up. Furthermore, since we are assisting drivers and we usually need to see the candidate page and not the report page. It will be more less hassle if we click the driver's BGC from their application that route us to candidate page instead of report page.

Angela
Prep & Planning Administrator in US
Religious Institutions, 51-200 Employees

Background checks made easy!

Comments: It's been great overall! Definitely easier to use than other companies we've worked with in the past and the system keeps track of when re-checks are needed, which is super helpful and much more clear to us to keep us on track! Billing is straightforward and easy to change if needed. We're on autopay so it's easy peasy each month!

Pros:

We switched from a different company last year and started using Checkr. It works SO much easier with our current organization software (Church Community Builder). From setting up an account, to adding users, to requesting background checks and tracking in the CCB system, it's super easy. Background checks are usually super quick to get results from. And the cost is a little cheaper than the company we used before!

Cons:

We don't necessarily know all of the features that are available to us. Cost breakdown wasn't easy to find on the account website. Sometimes it's hard to find answers on the help section for what we're looking for. We just usually need general background checks for our volunteers and also employees and that's really it. I see there's more features in Checkr that we need to probably research and make sure we're utilizing things to our fullest so we will do that! For the basic needs we have, Checkr has been easy to use and the customer service is quick to respond and help when we have questions.

Self-Employed / Stubborn Dog Marketing in US
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Saved me so much time when I was hiring contractors!

Comments: Using Checkr I was able to focus my time and energy on running my marketing business, rather than chasing down personal information and gathering forms around town from contractors for weeks. Checkr sped up my hiring process by several weeks because I was able to get background check results online within days.

Pros:

I loved the fact that Checkr handled the whole background check process for me completely online. I saved so much time when I was hiring contractors to service the online leads I was getting. All I had to do was input some basic information about my contractors like their e-mail address, and Checkr started doing the rest for me right away. They send an e-mail to your potential contractors or employees. After clicking the link in the e-mail your contractors can fill in all of their personal information on their own time. This is great for privacy reasons too and it helps your contractors feel more at ease knowing their information is being handled through a secure system. The entire process is very quick and you don't have to worry about anything except monitoring the background check results as they come in online.

Cons:

If I had to find a negative, I would say that the platform seemed very new and it offered very basic features, services, and a very simple design. The platform is being updated all the time though and I was able to perform a variety of different types of background checks efficiently.

Leslie
Director of HR in US
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees

Will continue to use Checkr

Comments: Overall experience is good. On the Customer service side, Checkr can learn from Shield Screening-- Shield Screening out performs on the CS side

Pros:

Ease of use and interface with HRIS. Generally the turnaround time is quick!

Cons:

Wish there was a Customer Service rep that can be reached on the phone is very helpful for to 1 off situations.

Stacy
Database Manager + Kids Assistant in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees

Checkr has been a great asset to our ministry

Pros:

Integration with Planning Center, ease of use, ability to track the status of background process or if one is expired.

Cons:

I wish we could add context to the initial email so that our volunteers know that it is coming from our organization and to be clear on what information we check and that we are using Checkr for our volunteers not for a job application. This has caused some confusion lately.

Basil
HR Director in US
Construction, 51-200 Employees

Our use of Checkr

Comments: It's great. Very easy to teach people how to use it and it's super great that they can integrate with a lot of HRIS for automation.

Pros:

It is very simple to use. Implementation was a breeze when we enrolled in our previous HRIS, where once they signed their offer letter Checkr would send them the background package. We have switched our HRIS and that process was easy as well. The best thing about the service is how quick it is, where some checks literally take seconds.

Cons:

I want a cleaner UI. A repeated issue is when a new hire does not fill out their background package in time, so we have to go into their profile and then resend it. It would be great for that candidate to request it again themselves.

Dina
Human Resource Manager in US
Entertainment, 51-200 Employees

Great Value for your money

Comments: Excellent customer service and they provide a lot of additional things, like free webinars, legal updates and the billing process is super easy.

Pros:

It is one of the easiest background check products I have ever used. The have a great widescreen service that is extremely inexpensive, then if something is found it then goes into the pricer more drilled down options. Definitely provides the confidence that I am getting everything I need!

Cons:

I don't like if you make an error on something like the email or the candidate changes their mind, you don't have the ability to completely delete request. I personally don't like looking at uncompleted requests knowing that backed out of the position. I would prefer to delete it completely!

Dominika
Manager in US
Translation & Localization, 51-200 Employees

CheckR does not disappoint

Pros:

Very easy to navigate interface, responsive customer support, and clarity of the dashboard

Cons:

northing I can think of that could potentially negatively impact the business

Ashlee
Sr. Quality Coordinator in US
Food & Beverages, 1,001-5,000 Employees

I love Checkr

Comments: I love Checkr! We have been working with them closely for many years- Ive been using it for 5 years and its always a great and fast source. Lots of information is provided to us via their BGC process and even the candidate portal. They have also come into the office for seminars and are great service

Pros:

Easy to use, easy to navigate, Checkr is always good with letting us know about new updates and product features.

Cons:

Sometimes things that are flagged up as being "Consider" are often not real major issues.

Heather
Director of Communications in US
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees

Easily Integrated

Comments: We run many background checks each month on volunteers looking to work with children and vulnerable populations. I have great confidence in Checkr's ability to get me a quick report and link the information to profiles on our database.

Pros:

The best feature was the ability to integrate this into our church's database software, Planning Center Online. We were easily able to set-up accounts, connect the two, and manage who is able to view the background checks from a platform we use regularly.

Cons:

The only thing I haven't liked is that the branding/website seems outdated.

Richard
Richard
Director of Technology in US
Staffing & Recruiting, 11-50 Employees

Great service with simple API setup

Comments: The easy-to-use API and webhooks enable our organization to process hundreds of background checks automatically. We would not be able to run at the scale we are without this ability.

Pros:

Being able to configure webhooks directly in the dashboard makes it a snap to connect Checkr to external Applicant Tracking Systems. This makes implementation possible even in low- or no-code organizations.

Cons:

Some of the reports and background check results can be difficult to interpret. Thankfully customer service walked us through all of it.

Angel
Executive Director in US
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees

Great product

Comments: We have had a great experience with using Checkr. We love the product and will continue to use it.

Pros:

We love how it integrates with our other software and it's a quick turn around time and it's very easy to use and understand the reporting.

Cons:

The only struggle we have is that getting back to the dashboard without going through a check is sometimes difficult to get directly there.

Raleigh
Recruiter in US
Retail, 201-500 Employees

Excellent Background Check Service

Comments: Overall, a good experience. Competitive pricing and responsive customer service. Would recommend to another company running that needs employment screening background checks.

Pros:

Checkr integrates with our ATS and sends background checks to applicants via email and phone. The information requested is quick and easy for an applicant to input, and background checks are fast and accurate.

Cons:

Occasionally, some background checks will take an exceptionally long time. While it is not directly in Checkr's control how fast a county court responds to an information request, it would be nice to receive BC status updates or a "we resubmitted the request" email, something to note that this background check request hasn't been lost.