15 years helping Canadian businesses

Microsoft Excel Reviews

4.8 (18,910) Write a Review!

About Microsoft Excel

Data analysis solution that helps businesses manage spreadsheets, create graphs/charts, perform calculations, share projects, and more.

Learn more about Microsoft Excel

Pros:

It's versatile functionality and data handling is best in class. It's online help and a huge user community makes it easy to learn and collaborate.

Cons:

I struggled to do use the different settings. I had trouble with printing everything correctly but it was mostly user error.

Microsoft Excel ratings

4.3
4.3
4.7
4.6

9.1/10

Microsoft Excel has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 18,910 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Microsoft Excel before?

Filter reviews (18,910)

Guy
Guy
Director in UK
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

The original and best spreadsheet and data management tool

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Couldn't run our business without it. Essential!

Pros:

Presenting, analysing, and reporting on data sets, using pivot tables, and showing data graphically. It's essential for our business, nothing else comes close

Cons:

Occasionally I'd like to see more graph options, but it really does cover most bases

Sara
System Engineer in Italy
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Excel is a must

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I love Microsoft Excel.
With all its features (graphs and functions above all) allows to create spreadsheet containing for examples math formulas, statistics. If you need help you will find a lot of information, support pages and videos, examples on internet.
There are some free alternatives, but I warmly suggest the use of Excel instead. There are different license plans you can choose from.
I also teach Microsoft Excel, it's amazing. There are a lot of function, easy and less easy that calculate and transform your data, speeding and making easy your work.

Pros:

a lot of function made calculation easy a lot of support and information on internet

Cons:

some functions are a bit difficult to set

Nathan
Nathan
Senior Software Engineer in US
Law Practice, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Well, it's an option

Comments: A tolerant level of frustration, like accepting your parents or siblings because they're your only family, but they irritate you to no end. It's there and it's all you got because Google cloud apps are blocked by your law firm.

Pros:

The pros are thin on this software. I'll list them by number. 1. The software is over 20 years old and has been refined and recreated numerous times over that period. 2. It makes creating lists very easy when copying and pasting information from tables on web forms. It intuitively pastes tables by column and row quite accurately 99% of the time and enables you to take one column as a list and paste it anywhere else. This utility reduces the tedium of quickly conveying information to co-workers considerably. 3. The ability to import data by comma or tab delimited text files is also exceedingly powerful in reducing time spent listing or reporting on specific items in a format that is not conducive to pasting into a table, or perhaps powershell script derived data outputted to a comma delimited text file. As a computer engineer, this takes hours and hours of time and compresses it into minutes. 4. The formulas, while available on Google or other spreadsheets, are also good pros and help with calculating anything you need to do in terms of math from other columns, in my case and in short, capacity and utilization percentages of storage devices on hand.

Cons:

What I like least are the frustrating things, and while few, these really irk me and stand out as a problem, especially in creating reports for people using the formulas, math and functions that spreadsheets are best known for. Case in point: The ability to copy and paste just the function into another spreadsheet that is open. It simply does not work unless you tab out of the existing cell and this is because, annoyingly, separate files, completely separate Excel spreadsheets, all act as if they're part of the same file. If I have one spreadsheet xlsx file open and a separate one open where I'm copying and pasting pertinent data from one to the other, it acts as if I'm in the same spreadsheet and the behavior is inexplicably wonky and unusable. I just want to copy the formula plain text as is into the cell of another spreadsheet because I want to use that same math for data related to other irrelevant items. Google Sheets does not do this at all. Maybe this was something Accountants wanted for some crazy reason that I'll never encounter as an engineer. But this is obnoxious and makes me scream at the computer often. The other con is that I do not like the non-intuitive UI and clunky way to simply save files. It pushes One Drive, and pushes it hard like non stop telemarketing calls. Also, I just prefer the old way to save files. Call me old fashioned but it was simple. I don't need the whole screen to change when cling the file tab.

CEO in US
Pharmaceuticals, 2–10 Employees

Good features but at a cost

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It's been fine. It's included in my operating software though.

Pros:

Lots of features that aren't available on Google sheets. Exporting and importing never seem to have any issues.

Cons:

The price. Google sheets is free and has almost as much features and more people that use it to collaborate with

Sophia
Tutor in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Amazing product

Pros:

Excel is the classic product for managing spreadsheets. Using it for managing our caseloads of students makes life much easier and more organized. Plus, you can easily find information and reorganize data the way you want to.

Cons:

Sometimes it can be hard to manage all the different formulas you need to properly manage the data. However, the pros outweigh the cons!

Teresa
Software Tester in US
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Excel makes calculating easy

5.0 last month New

Comments: Excel is a great tool for calculations. I also use it highlight something that isn't as expected. It's very easy to use and there are advanced features that I don't use that often.

Pros:

The best things about Excel for me is the sorting and autosum. I also use the find feature quite often.

Cons:

I haven't found anything about Excel that I do not like.

Flamur
Menagment regional in Serbia
Management Consulting, 501–1,000 Employees

The first and best calculation sheet and information the board device"

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Introducing, investigating, and giving an account of informational collections, utilizing turn tables, and showing information graphically. It's fundamental for our business, nothing else comes close

Cons:

Once in a while I might want to see more diagram choices, however it truly covers most bases

Felicia
Business Office Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 201–500 Employees

Keeping track of multiple tasks

Pros:

I love that I can create a spread sheet for just about everything. It definitely helps me keep track of important information.

Cons:

There is very little about excel that I do not like.

Lionne
Manager in South Africa
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Excel is Great

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall excel is an excellent account product that you can use daily in your business

Pros:

Very user friendly from scholars to employees.

Cons:

Need to work on excel every day to get better understanding

Marketing & Advertising, 201–500 Employees

Dependable Data Tracker

Pros:

Extremely beneficial in tracking data and productivity

Cons:

Does take some time to learn how to use, however once understood it is an extremely efficient tool

Elena
Office Administrator in US
Construction, 2–10 Employees

An Essential for Any Business

Comments: As mentioned above, I used to be intimidated by Excel. I actually really enjoy using Excel now though. I find myself using it for little day-to-day calculations. Could I manually figures into a calculator and risk an incorrect calculation because I pressed the wrong button? Yes. Better yet, though, I can put the data in Excel and have it run the calculations for me. I cannot remember the last time I used a calculator.

Pros:

I used to be afraid of Excel. It has so many features and functionalities that I used to get easily overwhelmed. However, once I took some training classes and watched some training videos online, I started to really like the software. Using it has greatly decreased the amount of time I spend manipulating data. It's also great that because there are so many users, you can pretty much Google anything that you want to do in Excel and find a training video for it. I love that I can condense data into pivot tables for easy viewing. I used to work for a company that created a very involved spreadsheet that they used to convert hourly employees' timecards into appropriate data to upload to ADP for payroll processing. If you can imagine it, Excel can probably do it.

Cons:

I would like to be able to share spreadsheets for editing more easily without having to use SharePoint. Aside of that, I feel like Microsoft has worked out a lot of the kinks with this software since it has been out for so long.

Robert
System CEO in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Excel Review

Comments: Excel is what every computer program should be. Best of class, powerful, supported and easy (within reason) to use and get better at using!

Pros:

The template section is very powerful. If you can't picture how to build your spreadsheet/application, just a quick search through the templates will provide you with ideas that will get you where you need to be. Often, the template itself is the perfect answer, with a little modification. Easily accomplished in Excel.

Cons:

Some of the features, such as graphing can be intimidating and if you aren't familiar with the components of graphing or charting, you'll have to do some trial and error experimentation. Best part, is to just experiment, with the program and you'll discover quite quickly how easy it is to build excellent tables, graphs and reports for other programs (i.e., power point and word)

Mike
Mike
Accounting Specialist in Kenya
Food & Beverages, 51–200 Employees

Microsoft Excel is the most Dynamic tool for undertaking financial tasks like data entry.

Comments: We have been able to solve a lot of business problems with Microsoft Excel. Below are some of the obstacles that we are able to overcome at workstation.
1. Financial reporting
2. Creating appealing spreadsheets
3. Carrying out data entry projects
4. Realization of arithmetic operations- Formulas on this software help us in such areas.
5. Statistical sampling
Finally, I would highly recommend Microsoft Excel to all those individuals that are looking to save time and energy while carrying out some vital business operations like financial reporting.

Pros:

To begin with, I must disclose that I have been using Microsoft Excel for more than six years +. In the midst of Microsoft Office suite, Excel is my favorite solution which has helped me to excel and is yet to do a lot. What I like about Microsoft Excel is that it is easy to install, setup, and reset up even with a little knowledge. Due to that, it is not necessarily to get comprehensive training in order to be a pro- since there is tons of tutorials in the entire internet. Personally, I used Excel in campus to solve some calculations, mainly repetitive calculations since it has all the tools for such capabilities. Nowadays, Microsoft Excel is one of the systems that help me to save time and energy since I am able to create, format, and edit spreadsheets. In addition, I like this software since it is available as both on-premise and cloud-based solution. With cloud-based solution or what we call Office 365, it is easy to work from anywhere provided there is stable internet connection.

Cons:

Although Microsoft Excel is the most advanced platform for carrying out data entry projects, it gets offered at a higher license cost per user. To make it competitive on the market, Microsoft should ensure that it increase the number of individuals that can use one account. Alternatively, Microsoft can reduce the total cost of getting a genuine Microsoft Excel. By doing that, they will be in a better situation to entice a lot of prospective customers, especially small businesspersons. Finally, the fact that Microsoft Excel is not available on its own is among the issues that I like least about it.

Jorden
Owner in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Microsoft Excel is the most advanced and intuitive spreadsheet software there is!

Comments: I use Microsoft Excel on a daily basis with my online business. One of the main reasons I use it is to keep records of my taxes. I can have multiple sheets that link to each other and allow me to see what my income and expenses are. But I use it for a wide range of other reasons. Whether it's for keeping track of client records or making graphs of key metrics inside my business. MS Excel is a must have for any business owner!

Pros:

The uses of MS Excel are endless! Working within the spreadsheet you can do so many things. For instance, keeping logs or running totals or data. You can then turn that data into various types of graphs. They have so many templates to choose from to get you started. With these templates, you can make budgets, to do lists, planners, calendars, financial reports, loan calculators, resumes, contact lists, financial models, statistical analyses and even keep track of your taxes! I have so many various types of spreadsheets I use. I even created a custom fat loss calculator for my clients! Like I said MS Excels capabilities are endless!

Cons:

One of the things I dislike about MS Excel is it can be expensive when upgrading from an old version to a new version. But for what it does and how much you'll probably use it, it can be worth the cost. Sometimes there are issues when someone with an older version is getting shared data from a newer version. When this happens there can be conflict and the software may not work right. Also, there is somewhat of a learning curve especially when it comes to using formulas. I have had to look up youtube videos numerous times on how to use certain formulas which did take time.

Amy
Associate Director of Development in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 201–500 Employees

This Product Has Very Useful and Extensive Capabilities

Comments: Elaborating on my favorite features of Excel, the following more specific functions are of tremendous help to me on a regular and ongoing basis:
-The ability to easily sort lists based on any piece of your data, (for example, sorting by last name, by zip code, but dollar amounts, by dates, etc.) On top of that, you can sort by multiple data at once with one click of a button.
-The formulas you can customize and insert into your workbooks are phenomenal. The program essentially does the math for you saving time and effort once you create and insert a formula. These can be very simple or very complex depending on your specific needs.
-The graphs and charts Excel can create based on data you enter into a workbook are wonderful. Often when I create presentations for our board of directors, particularly when reporting on key data, the graphic element these add is incredibly helpful. There are multiple different types of charts and graphs available, and each of those is entirely able to be customized, from font to colors, to data included, and more. Even better, these can be used outside of Excel once created. They are easily copied and pasted into Word, PowerPoint, etc. to suit your needs as well, which I also do pretty frequently.

Pros:

Microsoft Excel is truly amazing. I have used it for SO many things including the following: -Creating simple lists or databases -Utilizing more complex rules and formulas within my data -Creating a TON of different type of charts and graphs for data analysis and reporting These are definitely my top three favorite features and capabilities, and those that I use most frequently. In addition, everything can be customized to meet your needs and preferences in Excel as well. Fonts can be changed in size/type/color/style, cells can be highlighted, and charts and graphs can be customized in these same ways as well.

Cons:

There is nothing I dislike about Excel, but I know that its capabilities are far beyond my knowledge and ability. It can seem complicated, but once you learn how to utilize all of its features, it can truly be an asset in so many ways. A personal goal of mine is to get some more training in that area so that I can take advantage of this software's capabilities to the full extent.

Miguel
Owner in US
Accounting Software, Self Employed

Microsoft Excel - An Accountants Best Friend!

Comments: King of spreadsheet programs. Google sheets or any "free" suite programs don't compare to how powerful and easy Excel really is.

Pros:

Everything, literally! Excel is and can be as powerful as you need it to be. For the casual user, it a wonderful spreadsheet program that you can use to track just about anything you need to. For the heavy user, with the proper training, trial and error, or simply using the "help" button, Excel has formulas, tables, and other options that will allow you to track, analyse, and present your financial information like never before. Formulas, pivot tables, and copy/pasting will make your job so much easier and cut down on the manual data entry and manual having to add number together. I've built everything from a simple electronic checkbook register to extensive financial reports that only require you to copy your financial data from your account system and paste it into excel. And without doing anything else, you can have all the financial reports that you need.

Cons:

To get technical this is one thorn in my side when it comes to Excel formulas. When using an "IF" formula that states to perform a mathematical function "IF" a particular set of cells meets a certain criteria. For Example: SUMIF Column A is "greater that 1" or IF Column A is "greater than one" sum what is in "Column B". The issue I have is working backwards to identify the cells that are being added that meet the criteria. When working with the small set of data, it isn't a problem. But if you have a long list of data, it nearly impossible without have to check yourself to determine when cells makes this statement true. Again, the casual user wouldn't understand this complaint.

Automotive, 10,000+ Employees

Excel Review Details

Comments: Obviously, my overall experience is great with Excel. It will be even better when I get better on "macros". I do not think people normally need to download another program since it is already available as a part of Microsoft office. I believe the cons I explained above will be improved in new updates. For example, previous it was not easy to open 2 excel files separately but it is lately resolved. It was a great step.

Pros:

I do not think none of us has enough time to write the pros of excel down but it is worth to mention about some critical points. Firstly, it is a part of Microsoft Office and it is free. You can easily get the data from excel and use in word, powerpoint etc. It is also possible to view data from tablet or smart phones. You can reach the data whenever you want. I like most "Pilot Table". It enables me to assess unlimited data and create some good summary table or graphs from there. No one would agree that it makes business life easier for us. Apart from these features, I also like "macros" but I am still not expert on it. It is like what you can do is limitless if you are using "macros" in a good level.

Cons:

There are limited cons of excel for me. Firstly, I do not know why but it rarely does not show up. I am trying to open a file I previously shared. When I double clicked, a square pops up to show it is opening but it doesnot. I had to restart my computers but it happens very rarely. Another is with "macros". I wish it was more user friendly and it was easier to find out what is the driver of the error. Sometimes I am having big problems to resolve the issue. And "macros" makes the size of the file so much bigger. I am having issues to send it over by mails.

Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Still the best option we have

Comments: Overall, the cons that it provide do not outmatch the great benefits Excel can give. I don't see any other software going beyond what Excel can do, especially since it has established itself for decades now. I disagree with the fact that most Microsoft software are subscription based now, but I guess it just goes with the trend and the times. I'll be using Excel daily from today until the foreseeable future.

Pros:

Excel has become a daily part of my life to help manage all the things that need to be accomplished both for short term and long term. As an online freelancer, I need a lot of excel sheets to track my work schedule, tasks, accounting, investments, upcoming events, just to name a few. The design is easy and intuitive. It hasn't changed a lot since its earlier versions, but I guess it comes down to the old adage: "Don't Fix What Isn't Broken". Most of its features are those available with other Microsoft applications such as Word and POwerpoint, making the ease into the software much easier.

Cons:

Excel is an easy tool to learn but it is hard to master. While it can be used as a simple log, learning more about it can actually yield to more time saved as Excel can be programmed to do computations for you. That said, there are so many ways to use Excel that it can at times overload me with information, to the point that event the simplest of tasks become a little more complicated due to symbols and shortcuts, not being as clear as they should be. Excel also suffers from a similar problem that other Microsoft applications have in that they Auto Format to the point that it becomes irritating. You could waste some of your time trying to correct figures in your Excel sheet if it suddenly starts to believe that your info is a date and acts on its own will.

Pubudu
Researcher in Sri Lanka
Higher Education Software, 10,000+ Employees

Excel saves your time

Comments: I use Excel for 6 years. When I was an undergraduate, I used excel for all graphing and charting works for assignments and reports. I used excel frequently for my undergraduate research. I got all the raw data in a excel sheet and I did calculations in excel to get final results, and used excel to explain graphically. I used many types of charts and graphs to describe my results. If you know Excel very well, I mean if you mastered this software, you can run a company by your own!. As there are lot of operations and functions, you can save all the data in excel sheets and do the calculations in Excel. As a normal user, I only use these basic features of the spreadsheets in excel, there are lot more other specific functions such as giving programming support through Microsoft VBA, affording to access data from external source and offering extensive graphing and charting options.

Pros:

Excel is very useful tool for researchers like me. It is the most user friendly spreadsheet I ever had. Because the values in the spreadsheet can be manipulated mathematically with the help of basic and number of complex arithmetic operations. Therefore, it is very helpful to you if you work with a lot of data and numbers. So you can save your time, if you master this software. There are very many advantages of this software. Ability to express the information graphically is one of most useful option to researchers like me. It is very important to explain your data in bar charts, pie charts, pivot charts, line graphs... etc. and it is easy to draw these graphs using excel.

Cons:

It is time consuming to add data to excel manually, specially when i have a large number of data. When I use copy and paste or cut and paste options, it seems to be confusing me sometimes. When I try to undo, it won't help. Maybe it is my personal error, but it happens to me many times. The other thing is while I using different versions, sometimes I can't find some tools at the same place where it was in the previous version.

Insurance Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Easy Office Tool to create Complex Tables and Charts

Comments: I typically used Excel to solve the business problem of measuring incremental impact of marketing campaigns - did those campaigns drive incremental or new customer growth or did they sell new food or restaurant products which were not purchased prior to the campaign. Excel allows me to visually show trend in total cases sold by month so I can show to category team and vendors if there was an year-over-year lift in cases of items targeted in campaigns or in the overall category to which those items belong. Excel charts enable easy visualization of incremental customer or product growth by creating charts.

Pros:

Microsoft Excel allows me to import thousands of rows of marketing data from web analytics software. I can then analyze it to see success metrics such as trend in year-over-year growth in new customers, cases sold, merchandising category such as grocery, etc. This analysis can be done by creating column or bar charts which show both a spike and lift in traffic or conversions during periods when the marketing campaigns ran. So, I can quickly correlate the lift or drop in performance to when the marketing campaigns started and when they ended. I can also use advanced analytics functions such as vLookup or pivot charts to associate email addresses to those customers who didn't purchase so my marketing team can run re-targeting campaigns against them. Or, deduplicate function to remove duplicates and extract a unique set of customer ids and names so I can run business intelligence reports against them.

Cons:

Microsoft Excel uses significant ram of a computer when number of rows being analyzes is in thousands. Or, if multiple files of Excel are open simultaneously. In such scenarios, Excel crashes and all open files close. It has to be restarted and not all changes are saved in backup versions of the files. Unless Excel being used is part of the cloud version of Microsoft Office also called Office 360. Similar challenges are faced when using advanced analysis functions like vLookup. When using vLookup against thousands of rows and multiple columns, Excel hogs more ram and slows down cpu so whole system freezes.

Adiola
Accounts Clerk in Zimbabwe
Farming, 51–200 Employees

Microsoft Excel- The most convenient miscosoft software

Comments: As a clerk I utilized excel to build up the databases of the clients, excel expe spares my time while getting ready week by week the board reports since I can rapidly deliver graphs and rotate tables to help the composed reports. I additionally utilize microsoft excel capacities or functions, for example, VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, CHOOSE, COUNTIF, SUMIF,RIGHT AND LEFT FUNCTIONS which spares time to do my work and get ready reports. As a specialist I additionally utilize Microsoft Excel to create regression and correlation models there by setting up the relationship between the factors thus utilized microsoft excel for information examination.

Pros:

It makes calculations easier and enables the user to carry out tasks efficiently and effectively. Microsoft excel masterminds information or data in an efficient and consistent way which makes simpler for investigation. Using Microsoft Excel spreadsheet it will be simpler for examiners to do broad examination the utilization of cutting edge microsoft excel capacities, for example, CHOOSE function (utilized in financial modelling for situation investigation and SUMIF and COUNTIF utilized when managing colossal measure of information. Microsoft excel is likewise used to construct decent diagrams and tables, for example, reference charts, pie graphs and turn tables. It is additionally used in pattern investigation and regression and correlation examination. The other general favorable position of Microsoft excel is that it enables users to utilize other programming, for example, SPSS and Eviews.

Cons:

It requires training to be familiar with the formulas and it requires users to continuously improve skills in Excel. Another disadvantage in using excel is that it results in garbage in garbage out scenario ,that is, the input you put whether wrong or right results in the same outcome of whether wrong or right. Excel requires consistency in skill improvement

Sue
Paralegal in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Excel

Comments: Several years ago I took our Settlement Statement forms [from Word] and set them up in Excel - with Excel's capability of merging cells, its ability to put different formulas in different cells, and having several sheets available in each "workbook" so you can change the formatting of each section, it is like Excel was made for doing Settlement Statements! You can put a formula in one place [say, to prorate the amount of tax due by the Seller and the Purchaser] and put a link to the formula in another place, which automatically inserts the answer in that spot. Any time some information changes [say, the number of days being prorated in the tax example above], you just have to change the number of days in the formula and it automatically updates the total in both places!

Pros:

I use Excel to prepare monthly accounting reports. I love CSV files! You can pull all kinds of information from your accounting program into a CSV file, remove any unneeded information for your particular report, edit the content and change the formatting to make your reports look exactly how you want them to fairly quickly. When you have several columns of numbers, you can put a formula in under the first column you want to add. Then copy that "total" cell and select the following columns that you also want to be totaled and paste it into the "total" row for each column at the same time and it automatically adds and inserts the total for each column.

Cons:

The different formulas you can add to an Excel report are great and makes it easy to add totals for certain information; however, it is a little difficult to know the correct formulas and how to input them. I would like to have a reference guide listing various formulas and what they are for - the only lists I have found do not explain what each formula does. There could be a reference guide, but I have not found one yet. Also, when you need to merge some cells and add text to the resulting cell, it would be nice if the cell height would automatically expand and shrink back down as the contents of the cell changes. I usually have to manually change the height, although not always, so there must be some trick to do that which I have not caught on to yet.

Marketing & Advertising, 201–500 Employees

Still the Best for Spreadsheets

Comments: Excel helps us with data gathering, performance tracking and even team projects. It allows our teams to just work on getting tasks done while Excel keeps track of progress using carefully set up formulas. The locking features within the software also mean that you can control how the sheets are used so nothing "breaks".

Pros:

Excel is our go-to app for everything from simple databases to more complex reporting and dashboards. The upgrades with Office 365 means we now have the use of even more powerful collaboration and sharing tools while using Excel. For example, we commonly use Excel for very quick data collection across multiple units by simply setting up a sheet and sharing it. This allows multiple users to input data with little to no syncing issues and live updates (see where everyone is and which cell they are editing). For repetitive data cleanups, Excel's macros work very well and are fully supported even in Mac OS environments. As an Excel power user, the ability to create you own "ribbon" and stock it so all buttons you use most are together is pure gold!

Cons:

Two of my Excel pet peeves are processing speed and "hidden" data. Now Excel has 1.04 million rows and thousand of columns. The program is pretty quick once you're working with a few hundred rows of data but once you get into the thousands things start to slow down. The second issue to the inclusion of data that increases the file size. This can happen when you are copying and pasting data between files and can be difficult to troubleshoot. For example, I've seen files with less than 100 rows and 3 columns of data with a file size of 5MB. Most to the time you will end up copying the data in something "clean" like a text file and then putting it back into Excel.

Beth
Beth
Senior Regulatory Specialist in US
Telecommunications, 1,001–5,000 Employees

The Power to Tell Your Story

Comments: I love Excel. It is my favorite tool, and makes it possible for me to truly love my job. The job I have now is 90% Excel spreadsheets of varying complexity. I stepped into a job that I don't have the appropriate accounting knowledge for, but the tools in Excel have helped me get up to speed very quickly, and produce high quality output.

Pros:

I process massive amounts of data each month into a series of reports, payments, and regulatory filings. Excel gives me everything I need to take raw data dumps from a variety of systems and compile the data into a single workbook where I can compare, balance, and report monthly activity. Excel's capacity to provide layers upon layers of data is vital. Excel's rich Formula base gives you tools to take the information you have and turn it into the information you need. Whatever you think Excel can do, it can do more. After 20 years, I'm still learning new things all the time.

Cons:

I honestly can't think of much I don't like about Excel, except that there is so much, that no matter what you know, there's more...or a better way, or an easier way, or a possible way. Getting help in Excel can be overwhelming because of the sheer number of options available. I can't say that I don't like that about Excel, but it could be daunting to some. I don't even know how to suggest to make it better. I love Excel and wouldn't want it any other way.

Jada
Executive Administrative Assistant in US

I use Microsoft Excel a minimum of 5 times a day - it's that integral to my overall functionality.

Pros:

There are so many things I live about Microsoft Excel. It is very intuitive in many cases and even makes "suggestions" on some of my tasks. I use Excel is multiple situations, and not just for number crunching as some people might think. Excel is my favorite software for charts and numerical reports, but I also love it for creating logs, lists, forms, graphs, and the list goes on. Microsoft Excel is very good with imported data, like files from software that uses Crystal Reports or similar applications. Excel is also good for creating and manipulating .csv files to export into other applications. I'm not an expert user, but the formulas in Excel are works of art. I can create a decent formula to yield specific information, however I often don't have to do so. Excel has a library of formulas from the simple to the impossible, and everything in between. I like that for simple formulas, I don't have to recreate the wheel - there is already a template for that. When I have trouble working out a formula in my head, there is likely a formula already existing in Excel that will produce the desire result. And when I have something super complicated, or it needs to reference multiple pieces of data on multiple tabs, Excel easily follows the formula to get the exact data needed.

Cons:

My least favorite feature of Microsoft Excel is also my most favorite. For all its flexibility and multiple uses, Excel is a very rigid software. By that, I mean that any data introduced into the software that does not fit into very strict parameters (which are admittedly quite expansive), Excel is unable to accommodate or render the expected information. That is true of many programs to some extent, however, Excel's limitations are a bit more noticeable than other software. That said, there are almost always work-arounds to achieve the desired result.