15 years helping Canadian businesses

Sage 50cloud Accounting Reviews

About Sage 50cloud Accounting

Complete, out-of-the-box-desktop accounting software, with secure cloud and mobile access, for small & medium sized businesses.

Learn more about Sage 50cloud Accounting

Pros:

Sage has been the bread and butter of accountants across the UK for many years. Once you have learned how to use it, it is easy to use.

Cons:

The initial set up and everyday use can be a little intimidating and aggravation.

Sage 50cloud Accounting ratings

3.8
3.5
3.7
3.5

6.8/10

Sage 50cloud Accounting has an overall rating of 3.9 out 5 stars based on 375 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Sage 50cloud Accounting before?

Jonathan
Jonathan
Head of Business Development in UK
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Suberb Accounting Product for start ups/ SMEs

Comments: Excellent product, great support, available to use anywhere
Highly recommended if you are looking for a blend of desktop/ cloud accounting experience.

Pros:

Ease of use Intuitive Great reporting suite Integrates easily into other applications Gives visibility into financial health and growth plans easily to allow us to focus on core business activities

Cons:

Need add-on's for customer management Need add-on's to get ready made dashboards and set kpi's

President in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Sage 50cloud - Good Small Business Accounting solution

Comments: Sage 50 cloud overall is packed with features to allow companies to managed their accounting needs from A/R to A/P, Inventory, Payroll, and even Job Costing. It is a versatile solution for business that have 1 user, all the way up to a business with 40 users.

Pros:

Sage 50 is rock-solid from an accounting perspective. It also has very good built-in reporting, as well as the ability to integrate with very customizable and advanced reporting tools

Cons:

It is not quite as user friendly for non-accounting professionals as other solutions, and the "cloud" functionality is not reliable.

James
Engineering Manager in
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2–10 Employees

Major limitations for everything but the most simple operations

Comments: Want to do accounting? Sage 50 will do it almost as well as Quickbooks for a higher cost and with less support. It's also a lot harder to find an accountant that works with Sage and actually knows what they're doing. Want to buy and resell products? Sure, it'll mostly work. Want to use it for manufacturing/assembly? Forget it, Sage 50 can't do it properly and will cost you an incalculable amount in lost time and opportunity. No lot tracking, horrible reporting, no forecasting, only 5 user defined fields (none of which are very useful), no BOM variances, no part revisions allowed, no mass BOM update, etc.

Pros:

Better than chiseling on a stone tablet, though less reliable.

Cons:

Oh so many things: Database is SLOW No user workflows, cannot require approvals, checks, releases, etc. No ability to limit access to fields, or to require approvals on data entry Fields are not updatable in table views and require opening a screen for each item to update. Finding information in Sage is difficult, must search through multiple screens, reports, or excel spreadsheets to find date Order data exists in many separate views (SO, PO, WO, Invoice) without a single summary view of status. Sage50 items do not link – a line on a PO, SO, Quote, etc cannot be clicked to bring up the item card. The ID must be memorized and typed into another window, wasting valuable time Data import/export from/to Sage50 is time consuming and error prone Document templates are stored locally and must be manually updated per machine on change. One time use items or BOMs have to be added to part master to never be removed which clutters system, or have to be entered as a description items which severely limits usability. Cannot open multiple records when reviewing order history (or item cards, POs, Invoices, etc). Can only have one window for each type open at a time. No system discount levels Difficult to determine lead times for an assembly, have to start a pseudo work ticket and still can only determine current part availability that doesn't show when on order parts will arrive Sage can assign a user to a quote, but has no notifications to tell that user when the quote gets converted, updated, etc No material traceability, or lot tracking Routings do not exist – cannot track inventory moves from receipt to, inventory, picking, assembly, QA, etc Sage50 cannot record who received, assembled, tested, shipped, etc Cannot attach records or files to built items (final inspection reports, pictures, etc) Purchase planning is almost non-existent. Parts cannot undergo true revision. Changing the item ID results in changing entire system history Rev changes require creation of new ID and BOM update BOM changes are labor intensive BOM changes must occur individually and manually each time a part undergoes revision Variances are not allowed Cannot swap parts or revisions for a variance BOM, a complete new BOM must be created and all traveler paperwork reprinted When moving to a new revision, the old revision must remain in the BOM until consumed which results in Sage reporting the need to purchase the old revision instead of the new revision. Revision changeover must be manually watched and switched at point of consumption Sage has a field for “Preferred Vendor ID”, but no additional approved suppliers Single currency only Sage50 has updates that come out every year, but they only support the previous years version for another 6 months so you're forced into an upgrade if want any semblance of support (though it doesn't really count as support most of the time).

Luiza
Manager in Romania
Newspapers, 2–10 Employees

Cloud accounting

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Very easy to use, overall Sage 50cloud Accounting is a great accounting mate.

Pros:

If you are used to Sage is very easy to use and setup. It includes a lot of helpful features and great reporting features. Support is great.

Cons:

Sometimes the loading speed is just awful (my internet connection is very fast, do not blame my side), slow loading. UI can be upgraded a little, but this is not a deal breaker.

Warren
General Manager in UK
Computer & Network Security, 11–50 Employees

Sage Accounts - The complete solution

Comments: We have used Sage for years, and have no intention of moving. We're used to it's GUI and it just works.

Pros:

There's so much to like. The interface, although hasn't changed for a number of years, is incredibly easy to use. The screens are quick to move around, and the support, should you need it, is awesome. Really friendly guys on the phone and sympathetic.

Cons:

The fact that there isn't a mobile App is disappointing. We have also found that the latest Windows builds are incredibly heavy on the CPU and RAM, which makes for older PCs to be a problem.

Dan
IT manager in UK
Environmental Services, 51–200 Employees

On premise title in a world of cloud-based products

Comments: It used to be the only game in town, but nowadays, it needs a true cloud-based version which it doesn't have.As an on-premise software, it worked ok before we moved to work from home as everyone was in the office, so the connection to the server was made over the local LAN. Once WFH started, we had to move and use Sage Drive, an internet-based sharing tool. The data get out of sync fairly quickly. We now moved to a hosted solution but still used Sage50 as it's the only tool that can get the job done for us with our unique setup.

Pros:

That it's the only financial package that can transfer cost codes to our CRM system.

Cons:

The clunky thin server is called SagDrive.SageDrive is a service that allows sharing between a server and terminals via one central point (hosted by Sage). It is slow and gets quickly out of sync with the sage server.

Daniel
Accountant in Poland

Sage slowly catching up with Xero, QuickBooks and others

Comments: It is definitely getting better and better but still lagging behind Xero or QuickBooks

Pros:

It now does most, if not all of the things expected from online software for bookkeeping and accounts.

Cons:

The feel is still old fashioned, not very intuitive, though for people coming from desktop Sage this should not be a problem. Still not many apps link with Sage, compared to e.g. Xero

Lee
Senior Manager in US
Wholesale, 2–10 Employees

Utilizing Sage for a small supply company

Comments: We have had a positive experience with Sage and plan to continue using the product. I know a lot of people compare it to Quick Books, but in my experience I find Sage much more user friendly and doest tend to crash out of no where.

Pros:

Sage makes it incredibly easy to set up new customers, new vendors, and new products. In as little as 5 min I can have a new product set up, have a new customer set up, and have a quote emailed over to them with an estimated cost.

Cons:

The only area we struggle on is breaking an items case down. We may purchase a case of an item and sell individually. We had to create our own SOP on how this works in Sage so other people would not mess it up in the system. Once you understand it, it no longer is an issue. Every time someone new is working in the system we have to review all items they set up to ensure they dont make the typical mistakes.

Penny
Member in South Africa
Cosmetics, Self Employed

Sage 50 cloud accounting would highly recommend

Comments: Very happy with the Sage platform, absolutely no reason to look at changing.

Pros:

Functionality, ease of use, annual licence fees are not expensive, customer service/assistance is great.

Cons:

You need to be extremely accurate in your loading of data, if batched and incorrect, you cannot go back and make any changes, you would need to do additional admin on new batches to rectify.

Petter
Petter
Parish Manager in UK
Civic & Social Organization, 2–10 Employees

A good, robust, accounting package

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

I like the structured way the system is set up, and that it makes it very easy for seasoned accountants to work with the "nitty-gritty".

Cons:

I am not sure I would say there is anything I don't like, perhaps the one thing I find a bit complicated is the import function.

martinho
General Manager in Portugal
Executive Office, 2–10 Employees

I have been using the sage billing system for several years. I recommend

Comments: It is software that has been with me daily for several years, I'm already in tune with the program, the experience is fantastic

Pros:

Very intuitive, easy to perform everyday tasks , Has very important sales charts, In the main frame we have all the necessary information, we don't need to go around opening several menus.

Cons:

In my case, I cannot reconcile with my accountant , It is not easy to layout invoices is not a very easy process

Oil & Energy, 11–50 Employees

An Excellent product for SMB

Pros:

Sage 50 is extremely easy to use and capable of adapting to most small to medium size business needs. Because Sage 50 has evolved there are also many partners available to help create custom reports, or extend the core functionality of Sage 50.

Cons:

Unfortunately, Sage 50 doesn't allow a lot of customization to workflows, data collection, etc. It also does not collect some key data that is imperative to doing business in today's age, such as Phone Numbers and Email Addresses when creating Quotes, Orders, and Purchases. This is critical data when working with customers. Sage 50 also limits the number of contacts associated with Customers and Vendors to 20? This isn't enough, and, why limit it?Lastly, Sage 50 offers a low Database Size before it becomes sluggish and somewhat unusable, forcing data purging.

Terry
Owner in US
Design, Self Employed

Horribly Expensive / Lousy Customer Support

Comments: They downloaded the cloud version a few years ago. The first thing it did you erase everything, and I lost everything. Thankfully I had a flash drive backup, but it would only work if I purchased the EXPENSIVE version, which locked me into the EXPENSIVE version from then on.

Pros:

I have used Sage for at least 20 years, going through I don't know how many name changes. Back when it was on a CD I didn't have a problem at all. At one time I had 2 stores and 8 employees. Now I am semi retired and work alone. It has served me well.

Cons:

Some where along the way THEY decided to upgrade me to a higher level version on the Cloud. I don't want the Cloud. But since they upgraded me to a very costly version, there is no way they can downgrade to a simple version. All I want is the simple Traditional version. In January I had to reinstall the software, which I did. My invoice says this subscription expires 04/04/2021. But they are now billing me $732.95 due 04/06/2020, saying the other invoice is not correct. Their customer support if Horrible, IF they actually ever call you back. And thy aren't there on weekends.

Gabe
CEO in US
Food Production, 11–50 Employees

Total garbage!

Comments: Absolute garbage!

Pros:

Loved it years ago when it was simpler to use, was less bloated, and customer service was awesome. It no longer is.

Cons:

Problems arise, and the tech departments have NO CLUE how to fix the program. My list of issues goes on and on, after talking repeatedly with their tech team. They're a complete waste of time! First, it takes HOURS to get a hold of anyone to get on the line, and/or to call back. And when they do, if things need to be escalated, well GOOD LUCK with that! You'll be lucky if they call you back in a day or two! In the meantime, your program is jacked! We're paying for cloud backup. It worked fine until we installed one of their upgrades. Now it no longer works. Want to know why? Yeah, we'd like to know why, too! Their tech team was UNABLE to figure it out! Can't update any of my user security settings. Just NONE. They're all grayed out. Why? Well, your guess is as good as their tech team, because they don't know why either! Done. I just instructed my accounting team to backup all they can, and we're moving over to Quickbooks. They can't possibly be as pathetic as Sage 50 / Peachtree!!

Andrew
Owner / Operator in Canada
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Bitterly disappointing

Comments: I have had many accountants sing praises of this program and many know it. It may well serve an accountant well. However, from the business owner point view it does nothing well. I suspect more businesses own this software than accountants. As such the focus should be for the small businesses that use it. The company is mostly concerned with selling addons or training. I might be interested if the program did anything well. Really, anything at all.

Pros:

Full service package. Inventory, POS, Accounting, and Payroll all in one package. That's it. Didn't like much.

Cons:

Does everything poorly. Menus lack consistency. Searches often missing or don't work. Inventory look up sorts invoice numbers as text. Customer look up window is different than others and does not scroll correctly. Paid stamp on invoices prints black square in stead of paid. Customer look up looks up from the start of a name not parts of a name. Reports do not report what you want. Dash board shows three months trend which is of little use. Excel exports are of a form that requires a lot of work before even filters can be applied. Location cursor in a new window is never where you would want it. Default menu selections are never convent

Omolayo
Accountant in Nigeria
Accounting Software, 51–200 Employees

Review on Sage 50cloud Accounting

Pros:

I enjoy using sage 50cloud because of its very easy to use interface. For accounting, you can perform all basic tasks to enable you prepare a financial report.Also it is built in such a way that there is some form of control to the activities users can perform simultaneously on the application.I recommend it 100%.

Cons:

The interface does not have a friendly look so if you are not familiar with it, you may believe it won't be easy to use.

Pauline
Admin in Canada
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Good but it needs improvement

Comments: It makes invoicing, payroll and statements etc, easy to create and nice forms are printed for each area.

Pros:

It is quite straight forward and easy to learn and use. The documents that it outputs are nice looking.

Cons:

The one thing I find non appealing since a few updates are the colors of some of the screens. Makes it hard on the eyes and not easy to read some things

Sarah
Business Owner/Accountant in US

It gets the job done!

Comments: The software is pretty self explanatory meaning I don't believe new users would require additional training in order to use the product. I think if they would develop a better adjustment scenario (ie. Journal Entry adjustments) I think this product would rate up there with QuickBooks. This product is definitely worth the look!

Pros:

The customer service at Sage is extremely helpful! I have had to call multiple times, and each and every time they patiently help me through my problem. I think it's great if you have a small to medium sized manufacturing business and want something to keep track of everything.

Cons:

Comparing the software to QuickBooks, I think there is a lack of efficiency in entering Journal Entries especially when you happen to find a problem that originated in a prior year. Other than that, I think the software is great for recording daily transactions and keeping track of inventory (for small to medium businesses).

Shelley
CPA in Canada
Accounting Software, Self Employed

SAGE 50 Rips you off

Comments: Horrible.

Cons:

Customer Service - When you cancel your subscription, they keep charging your credit card for Months! I've been charged for 6 months after I cancelled my subscription, I've called more than once, and they just keep charging. Very unprofessional, fraudulent behaviour in my opinion. Wouldn't recommend to anyone!

Christine
Accounts Manager in UK
Construction, 11–50 Employees

My favourite accounting software by a clear mile - Sage is in its own league

Comments: I love using sage, i use daily in our business, if ever i need assistance from a Sage expert they are available by phone, online chat, or you can jump in daily webinars that run all day for a quick bit of help/ advice. I would never use a different accounts programme, sage has no limitations.

Pros:

Its so user friendly, its so easy to teach people how to use it when they are new to sage. It has an incredible amount of detail in its reporting features - it is very clever, it links with outlook - you can get very inexpensive add ons to aide with credit control. Its so cheap compared to other systems yet so much more efficient. Sage will always be in its own league when compared to others.

Cons:

I have no cons to report, I have found zero issues/ cons whilst working with it for over 10 years.

Kenatu
Senior Programmer Analyst in Canada
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

My Best Friend

Comments: For all of us who stuck with Peach Tree from back in the day, our time has come. I simply love this application. Its my best friend. As a small business owner I can tell you the ability to have my accounts at my fingertips while I am on the go blows my mind. I am tickled pink. I have to pinch myself. I am able to see my inventory, check prices and stock and give clients discounts and assurances that I can reliably trust in real time. The subscription cost is almost nominal for the value it gives me.

Pros:

Access to my Accounts in real time on my mobile device. Easy to use and covers all that I need for a small business owner who is the the head cook and bottle washer. I can process payments and check on outstanding receivables while on the go. check stock and see sales. the reports are exactly what I need to know to make informed decisions I can communicate with my customers and suppliers with built in correspondent templates. based on the information at my finger tips I can have a better relationship with my supply chain and customers. requires very little setup.

Cons:

I am sure that I will think of one in the future but for now I am at a loss. the speed could be better when searching a large record set, buts thats on me and my resources.

MJ
Accounting in US
Consumer Services, 51–200 Employees

Decent accounting software for small business

Comments: It is good software

Pros:

It is easy to teach a new user how to begin entering transactions. You can set up an assistant to begin entering basic transactions almost immediately. When searching a list (purchases, payments, etc.) of transactions, it is not necessary to have entire name or number. The software will locate the search criteria even if it is just a couple of characters in the middle of a string of text.

Cons:

Chart of accounts does not have a true hierarchy so you cannot get totals to roll up for sub accounts. It is often tricky to customize a report accurately. Some reports will omit data because it comes from a specific "journal" and there is no way to make the report include all relevant "journals".

Victoria
Bookkeeper/HR in US
Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

Solid but somewhat limited software

Comments: not interested in continuing to use this software. Not interested in recommending it to others. I have now switched over to different software.

Pros:

Sage50 seems to be created more so for accountants or those with in-depth knowledge of accounting. I have a degree in accounting so I found it extremely easy to use. Most functions are easily located and you can choose a number of them from one screen. The software has very good reports which is an important factor to management. Sage is very similar to another popular accounting software program used by small and medium businesses, so it should be fairly easy for employers to locate employees who have used Sage.

Cons:

Tends to be glitchy. If you have an issue, it could be very time costly to get the issue resolved. Customer support and the time frame in which it is provided needs improvement. Another negative aspect is the cost as compared to its biggest competitor. Sage is more expensive.

Faith
Accountant in UK
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

How brilliant Sage Software is.

Comments: Accuracy, and speed beneficial to the business.

Pros:

I love bank feeds and the reconciliation is done for you and you just have to finalise. No usual ticking one by one which is time consuming. I can also use projects and departments for my clients dealing with various projects. Having features that cut down on time is such a great integration with our business as you can work on many clients which enables you grow the business.

Cons:

The only lease aspect is not being able to amend a few items especially if you have used bank feeds, you have to un reconcile then unclear items delete and amend. This is then time consuming and perhaps sage can improve on that.

Jaime
Production Administrator in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Not user friendly

Comments: Since implementing the cloud service it is easier to retrieve information away from the office. It does take a while to upload and it is not easily trainable. I wouldn't recommend it, especially for companies with many years worth of data.

Pros:

We do like that it makes vendor and contractor management easy. We are able to pull data to review past pay history easily and pull these items into a report rather quickly as well.

Cons:

It is not user friendly and not easy to train someone. There are many reports to pull but you have to know exactly which boxes to select and missing one can throw off the entire report. It does not read easily.