15 years helping Canadian businesses

QuickBooks Desktop Reviews

4.4 (1,985) Write a Review!

About QuickBooks Desktop

Accounting tool that provides multi-monitor support and past due stamps through improved cash flow.

Learn more about QuickBooks Desktop

Pros:

It integrates with our FSM software, so it is really great to be able to go from one system to another without much effort.

Cons:

My only complaint has been that when you are couple of releases behind you can no longer direct email invoices to a client.

QuickBooks Desktop ratings

4.3
3.9
4.3
4.2

8.3/10

QuickBooks Desktop has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 1,985 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used QuickBooks Desktop before?

Filter reviews (1,985)

Stanley
Stanley
System Administrator in Kenya
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Industry Standard for Accounting.

Comments: QuickBooks Desktop Pro offers one of the best user interface and experience with an easy to grasp learning curve. This makes it the primary software for training accounts for many institution in y home place.

Pros:

Easy setup process even for non technical users to install is the number one reason QuickBooks Desktop Pro wins and the 30 Days trial version come in very handy.

Cons:

Lack of Wholesale and Manufacturing modules with QuickBooks Desktop Pro means I cant have BOM (Bill of Material) and this is quit limiting as it need an entirely new installation and license for its advance version that is QuickBooks Enterprise.

Precious
Accountant in Zambia

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Comments: My overall experience is great because my work load has reduced exponentially.

Pros:

I liked the fact that quick books is easy to use which in turn made my work easier by not only reducing the work load but also reducing the amount of hours spent to tasks given to me.

Cons:

The fact that it took a bit of time for me to learn how to implement it and use it.

Amir
IT Director in US
Accounting Software, 51–200 Employees

Designed to be difficult

2.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

It is clearly a helpful tool for accounting purposes but my view is from an IT standpoint.

Cons:

It is a very heavy-ended software. It drags when launching and/or many other functions. It does auto updates that resets SQL engines and causes difficulties for users to log in. It often needs to have QB Tool Hub launched and used to resolve errors.

Emily
Administrative in US
Farming, 11–50 Employees

Update when asked!

Comments: Overall, I would recommend this product for a small business. We depend on this for everything we do in the office from day to day.

Pros:

QB Pro is versatile enough to handle all of the different things our business needs to track. We have 3 different jobs within this company that need to be closely tracked.

Cons:

I do not like that it requires different subscriptions for multiple users. We have 2 subscriptions and when the 3rd person is occasionally in the office, I am not able to use it. Also we had a major glitch in the payroll one week that could not be explained other than I chose not to update, the moment I was asked.

Karen
Attorney in US
Legal Services, 2–10 Employees

Good option

4.0 last month New

Pros:

Ease of use and lower monthly costs were a key reason for rhe change.

Cons:

Lacks ability to see remotely and share access.

Stephenie
Owner in US
Accounting Software, Self Employed

Highly recommend QB Desktop Pro

5.0 last month New

Comments: I have been using QB desktop software since 2008. I have used few other programs and hope that the desktop versions stays available as the QBO is NOT idea for me.

Pros:

The features in a software as opposed to QBO are unmatched! It's easy to move around the software & enter data, create invoices, pay bills & create reports. I LOVE the desktop version as it allows the user to quickly perform tasks.

Cons:

I do NOT like that the software changed the 1099 prep feature to an interview process. I know what I need to do & the original feature was quicker, cleaner and easier to use.

Isaac
Finance Manager in US
Utilities, 201–500 Employees

The Conventional Accounting Application

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: The efficiency in addressing all the accounting procedures is something ideal from the software.

Pros:

The software has included online payment plans that makes businesses universal.

Cons:

The accounting fraud part is not well handled by the app.

Melissa
Owner in US
Environmental Services, 2–10 Employees

Business at your fingertips

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Great.Experience so far.And I don't look in the future to switch from this prodactually i'm very satisfied

Pros:

That is available on my mobile device.And I always have my information accessible

Cons:

There really isn't anything about this product that I'm not satisfied with.It does make running my small business easier

Svetlana
Accounting in Canada
Construction, 11–50 Employees

QuickBooks for quick and friendly results

4.0 last month New

Pros:

It is user-friendly, but you have know the basic principles of accounting. Reporting tools and customization options . Job costing reports are most sophisticated.

Cons:

no direct line for live customer support

ADRIANO
CFO in US
Retail, 51–200 Employees

Great tool!

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Once you get used to it, it becomes your "best friend" on your daily accounting matters.

Cons:

So far, I have no complains. It is exactly what we need.

Alan
Event coordinator in US
Hospitality, 10,000+ Employees

The investment is worth the time and convience

Comments: Regardless overall, as a small business owner or not the utilization of using QuickBooks especially for a financial software is very easy to use. It has all the basics pretty much could anything I need on it. I haven't had an issue with QuickBooks I just recommend certain things like higher security as such.

Pros:

The easy of use, not complicated at all to utilize. it's also good with third-party applications and integrations, makes it much more easier. Price wise it is affordable since I would say it's worth the money it's for. It also has a very large support Network. Personally best software to keep financial records, especially for small businesses

Cons:

The security on it does lack, there isn't a two-step authentication. And there was a limitation to the number of products in the list especially for inventory purposes. There are also file size issues that need to be addressed, and personally I also believe there needs to be more utilization into e-commerce.

Tara
owner/president in US
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

By far the superior bookkeeping software

Comments: Customer service is terrible, but that is the same for all of Intuit. It is a shame because 20 years ago they were #1 in customer service and now they're at the bottom. However, I will never use any bookkeeping product other than Quickbooks Desktop in my office. No other program can even come close in functionality. No other program has the same ease of use. That being said, I don't recommend it for just anyone. If you do not know how to do bookkeeping or don't have a propensity for it, don't buy Quickbooks desktop or Quickbooks online and assume you can do your business bookkeeping. Consult with a professional.

Pros:

The general ledger is my favorite. I will not use software that I can not make general ledger journal entries in. I love the tax tracking. It has the best tracking of payroll and sales taxes if it is properly set up. And adjustments can be made if necessary - which in my state is every quarter.

Cons:

I do not like that we now have to log-in with an "intuit ID." I bought desktop software because I want to use it on my desktop. I do not want all of my software connected to the internet all of the time. I do not want my client accounts connected to my intuit ID and I do not want them to have to have their own intuit ID accounts. They aren't using the software, I am. They aren't doing the bookkeeping and payroll, I am. And if Intuit's servers are down or if the internet is down and I can't log in, well then I can't work and that doesn't work for me.

Matt
Farmer in US
Farming, 2–10 Employees

The industry standard

Comments: QuickBooks is widely used by many different types of businesses therefore, it is supported and understood by most typical CPAs and tax attorneys. Bankers are also familiar with it, as well. It does a great job of tracking income and expenses, and tax related items. While lacking in farm specific functions, it does the others so well that you can trust you’ll have good information come tax time

Pros:

QuickBooks is the industry standard for small and medium size businesses. It is known by most CPAs and bookkeepers, so it is easy to get answers for any questions you may have.

Cons:

QuickBooks has the most standard set of features needed for most small businesses, however it is not tailored for some of the intricacies of farming.

Salmaan
Employee in South Africa
Design, 2–10 Employees

Life made easier with the use of Quickbooks Desktop Pro

Comments: QuickBooks Desktop Pro has helped me to create fast and easy invoices, quotations and payments for my business. This has been a life saver.

Pros:

As a small growing business, I have taken advantage of the capabilities and features that QuickBooks had to offer. QuickBooks creates PDF files immediately once saved and these files can be emailed within seconds. Tracking of bills has never been easier as well.

Cons:

It has been difficult for me to get used to the QuickBooks software system as I have been using Excel before. I have no complaints about QuickBooks Desktop Pro as I have learnt the system and love how everything falls into place with the click of a button.

Cathryn
Associate Director, Operations in US
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Excellent Accounting Software for Small Business!

Comments: My overall experience with QB is fantastic. I was lucky enough to have used it for many years and even learned to convert the Chart of Account structure in order to do business with the Government. Our control system plus the software enabled us to pass DCAA's accounting system audit to perform on CPFF contracts. We have also used data from QB and external reporting to submit Incurred Cost Submissions to varies Government agencies. Highly recommend to small businesses!

Pros:

I used this software for over 20 years with several small businesses. I've used it daily for many years for all accounting cycles, such as AP, AR, GL, bank reconciliation, financial reporting, etc. I love its flexibility (mistakes can be easily fixed), complexity (can even accommodate DCAA compliance), intuitiveness (to me at least), and many report functions including drill downs. It also works very well with ICAT, so that QB data can be used to calculate indirect cost rates.

Cons:

Cons are very few. Because I haven't been a daily user for a few years, a couple of issues I remember are: 1. Interfacing with a 3rd party payroll seems to not work well, we ended up having to make a large summarizing journal entry (however, this is not an issue at the current company b/c payroll is handled by Intuit). 2. Too few characters are allowed in the PO and Invoice Number field. Our bookkeeper still currently have to be creative in order to have everything fit.

Shayne
President in US
Retail, Self Employed

Program is Great - Support not so Great

Comments: I enjoy using Quickbooks, but feel that the availability of a good alternative accounting program would make Intuit step up to the plate and improve their support after the sale. I feel that Quickbooks stands out as the leader and they really don't have any good competition.

Pros:

Very easy to use. Very versatile reporting. Offers several different ways to navigate the program

Cons:

The program is expensive and getting more expensive with every new release. Now Quickbooks has gone to being subscription based, so you will have to buy a new subscription every year. I used to just upgrade every 3 years or so. Support is outsourced to the Philippines making communication with the agent very annoying. Quickbooks acts like if you have to call support, it is because you are not smart enough to use the program. Support is expensive after a short introductory period.

Jeanette
Junior Controller in Canada

QuickBooks - Simple & Effective

Comments: Of all the accounting programs I have used, I have found QuickBooks to be the most user friendly no matter what your level of eduction.

Pros:

As an accountant I appreciate how customizable QuickBooks is. Sometimes you need to be able to make changes to entries that some programs would not allow you to (ie. customize sales tax amounts) but there is the option with this program. There is also a certain level of control that can be set to ensure accidental errors do not occur (ie. pop-ups) which comes in handy for those with less accounting knowledge.

Cons:

Often you get out of it what you put into it. Since so many of the fields are optional (invoice #, memo, description, name, etc.) it is possible to make entries with so little data that it is difficult to determine what they were for when looking back to them. You really have to make sure if you have multiple users that everyone is recording entries with sufficient detail that it is clear what each entry is for.

Zuzana
V-President, COO in US
Airlines/Aviation, 2–10 Employees

Desktop Pro is great as entry to manufacturing

Comments: I've used QB for 20+ years and this program does it all in a complex business environment until you grow enough to need enterprise. (From a manufacturing standpoint)

Pros:

It's reasonably priced and does all the features I currently need pretty well. Customer service is great.

Cons:

Inventory management is slightly clunky unless you bump up to enterprise which is a commitment. Adding users is also clunky but do-able. Working on desktop remote and in the office or some variation on that is VERY clunky but also do-able if you can find the right solution for your situation.

Easiest accounting software I've used

Pros:

I have used Quickbooks for 19 years for twelve different companies in various industries and with various needs. QB is always easy and intuitive from every aspect, from the initial set-up of the company file to the day-to-day transaction entries. You don't need to be an accounting genius with a perfect knowledge of debits and credits in order to understand how to enter your transactions in QB. I especially like the set-up tools that guide you during set-up of various things, like payroll items. It takes the stress out of things. I also really appreciate that whether you're a new user or an experienced user, mistakes happen, and QB makes it so easy to correct or delete any transactions that you entered incorrectly.

Cons:

The only two cons I have found in my varied experience are: 1) QB does not track Use Tax, so you have to use roundabout ways to calculate and track that; and 2) if you live somewhere that Sales Tax is charged at the state level as well as at a county or city level, it can be tricky to get your sales tax properly set up and properly entered on your invoices. I have read that QB Online now offers better Sales Tax tracking, but I have no experience with that yet.

Intuit Response

5 years ago

Thanks a ton for this wonderful review! I'm pleased to hear you've been a part of the QuickBooks family for over 19 years! It's great that the program has consistently delivered the tools you need to get the job done. In regards to tracking taxes, I've submitted your review to our Product Development team. The consider feedback like yours when planning new features and updates. In the meantime, should you ever need support or want to learn more about the program, know you can find a plethora of self-help resource online on our Community website: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us I hope you continue to find success using QuickBooks. Thank you again for reviewing! Clay, The QuickBooks Team

Johnny
President in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Very Functional, but Complicated; With Irritating Pop Up Ads

Comments: Overall it's positive, and the software is very powerful. Even after two years (and a degree is computer science), I am still learning things with it. The bank export to QuickBoosk import feature most banks offer has saved me many hours of time doing monthly accounting, that alone makes it work it. The pop up ads on start up (which slow down my PC even more than the software otherwise would) are very very frustrating.

Pros:

This software is very full featured. I use it for a few businesses; residential and storage unit rentals. The software has can do most everything that you would want it to do for this type of business. There's great features for setting up recurring invoices for tenants, generating all types of reports to track how your rentals are performing, and the PayRoll add on is very helpful for paying employees and dealing with quarterly and annual taxes. One very huge pro is that most banks allow you to export transactions from the bank website software into QuickBooks format, and then you can import them into QB. This saves me tons of time as I have many transactions related to the self storage business, and it makes monthly account reconciliation much much easier.

Cons:

There's a steep learning curve here. Many of the features and options are not intuitive at all (ironic since the company that owns this software is named Intuit). I used simple spreadsheets before this, I'm very computer oriented, and I still don't use many of the features available in this software after a few years. I switched at the recommendation of my accountant, and a steep discount in my annual tax preparation costs. There's just so much to learn here! There are tons of web tutorials available to learn things, but you have to be aware of a feature in order to know that you can use it. If you have someone that can show you the ropes, or you're willing to dig in and learn, then I recommend this software. The only major complaint that I have about it is the pop up advertisements. When you start the software, you frequently get pop up ads. This is super irritating, and it doesn't seem to matter if you click the 'Don't show this again' button. I've already bought your software, STOP SPAMMING ME!

Zandi
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Quickbooks....I Use It To Run My Company.

Comments: Overall the best small business accounting software I have found. I would recommend it over all other products. I have used it for the past seven years and I do not hesitate to dump software that does not perform. I own and operate a smallish construction company and will likely someday need to step up to one of the big boy software packages, but until then, it serves me well.
You can get this accounting software to do just about anything you need it to with enough time and know how.

Pros:

The software is stable with very few glitches and crashes. I have never lost any significant amount of data in 7 years. It produces reports and printed materials that are widely accepted and you can get checks and other forms compatible with ease. It networks well and with a fair amount of simplicity even with several users. The Contractor Premier does a decent job of job costing if you set it up properly. You can customize all reports, invoices, statement, etc. to meet your needs and promote the branding of your company. Payroll add on service is excellent and has kept us dead on with all payroll related responsibilities.

Cons:

You get out what you put in. As with all software, you must know what you are doing to operate it successfully. I am very computer savvy and have a lot of experience with the proficient use of multiple advanced software programs so I thought I could just open a file and get going. Nope. Quickbooks does not work well out of the box, you will need to invest some time in getting it set up for you and your business. The cost of upgrades is unavoidable so be ready. You will need to upgrade every year to get the software support from Intuit and every time you add a seat on your license. There is no way around it that works and I have tried. There are a million secondary dealers of quickbooks, so called quickbook professionals and they have been certified by Quickbooks to use their branding and resell the software program and related support services which make purchase and support confusing and sometimes dangerous.

Jillian
Office Manager in US
Accounting Software, 11–50 Employees

Quickbooks Desktop Pro makes bookkeeping a cinch!

Comments: I am winning at bookkeeping using Quickbooks Desktop Pro, what more can I say?

Pros:

Quickbooks Desktop Pro allows me to be a great bookkeeper! Isn't that worth it's monetary investment right there!? I am able to input bills/pay bills, deposits, bank reconciliations and run reports all in the same platform. I even order our checks through the software and it reminds me when we are getting low. Also, I love that I can set reminders for monthly tasks and bills that need to be taken care of without worrying about forgetting. It's tracking it all for me and I just take care of it when the reminder pops up. Now I don't have the bank account connected and that is a personal preference but it is an available feature and it has it's benefits. You can also complete invoicing and payroll through Quickbooks desktop but we already had other means to complete those tasks. I can't recommend it enough, you won't regret the investment.

Cons:

The only con I have about Quickbooks Desktop Pro is that going from the online version and converting to desktop is not clean. I've yet to get an import that wasn't missing something. I hope this is something Intuit will improve on in the future. But if you don't have to go back and forth then it's not an issue. I only have one client that this a bother for, other than that I keep everything on the desktop version.

Duncan
Chief Operating Officer in US
Banking, 2–10 Employees

Made the switch from Sage - could not be happier!

Comments: Our overall experience has been excellent. There have been a couple of times we've had to engage QB support, and they've been wildly more helpful than we ever experienced with Sage!

Pros:

We used Sage (Peachtree) for many years, and struggled to get even basic accounting reports out of the software. We made the decision to switch to Quickbooks Pro, and after a reasonable conversion process, found we were able to get *exactly* the reports we needed with relative ease. That was two years ago, and we've never looked back!

Cons:

There are some curious elements to the way QB organizes and labels certain functions...but that's par for the software course.

Rod
Development Director in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, Self Employed

Quickbooks Desktop for over 20yrs

Comments: Love / Hate. It does want you want with little accounting background required. But, if you need to track your customers/vendors/etc, or do fund accounting, you'll probably have to set it up and use it a couple of times before you get the most out of it.

Pros:

Quickbooks is easy to use and capture data via standard reporting. If you can make a deposit or record a check, you can use Quickbooks

Cons:

Capturing, tracking and reporting donor data is very challenging and you have to understand how QB tracks "customers" activity. Once captured, trying to extract that data is tricky. Somethings are easier to just export to excel and reorganize the way you'd like. QB is not set up to be a Fund Accounting system and trying to use it as one requires some detailed accounting / QB knowledge. It can be done, it just requires a lot of thought and execution. Plus, every 3-4 years, Intuit will try to force you to upgrade and they really want to get you into an on-line product or anything that is subscription based. Look for the desktop product "purchase" to go away.

Melissa
Accounts in US
Environmental Services, 11–50 Employees

QUICKBOOKS PRO IS THE WAY TO GO

Comments: It has made it a lot easier to keep track of the progress of the business. We can monitor the customers invoicing, their payments including methods of payments, dates of payments, as well as dates of services and what services were conducted with the codes that were readily available to be put to use. This is ultimately going to make the business a lot more valuable as we will be able to calculate the gross and net values produced by the business for any given season/month/year from now on; and when the time comes for retirement we will have a hard copy to show what the business is valued at.

Pros:

Setup is so easy and efficient. Once you have your account information entered you log in and you're set to begin entering your customers/vendors/accounts. As you create them it's simple to sync them and enter payments all within the ease of clicking a button.

Cons:

The first time of backing up the system was a bit of a challenge as I couldn't find the file on my computer; however, I do believe that was a personal fault of mine and had nothing to do with the program itself.

Intuit Response

6 years ago

Thanks a ton for taking the time to leave us your review, Melissa. Your comments are affirming to come across, as I loved reading QuickBooks is helping Lowers HVAC continue to grow. We're proud to be backing you and your team, and I know just where you can go should you ever have questions. When you get a chance, explore our Community forum space a bit. This live Q&A space doubles as a troubleshooting library, and a perfect example of what you can find there is this article on system backups: community.intuit.com/articles/1436816. Even though I'm confident you're a pro at backups by now, the article above highlights what the Community has to offer. Delighted we're doing our part to keep you on track. I'm wishing you continued business success, so when the time for retirement comes around, you'll have nothing to do but celebrate. Jess, The QuickBooks Team