15 years helping Canadian businesses

Canada Local product

TUIO Reviews

4.6 (176) Write a Review! Canada Local product

About TUIO

#1 FREE School Management System. Optimize your tuition, enrollment, waitlisting, reporting, and get same day payouts- only with TUIO!

Learn more about TUIO

Pros:

I like the invoicing, payment options and discount options. I feel they have really thought of every option needed to process payment for Tuition and Registration Fees.

Cons:

The setting up of my account was a bit confusing at first. Was shown an invoice date that I though was the day the payment will come out and that confused me.

TUIO ratings

4.4
4.8
4.3
4.6

8.6/10

TUIO has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 176 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used TUIO before?

Dori
Dori
Copyeditor and Proofreader in US
Media Production, Self Employed

Easy to use!

Pros:

The TUIO interface is really clean and simple, which makes it really easy to navigate (a welcome change from the last payment system which, as I said previously, looked like it was built in 1998 and left that way). When I did run into questions, TUIO got back to me right away and took care of the concern for me immediately, and they were very personable and professional about it.

Cons:

The time I spent looking around and then calling customer service could have been avoided with some simple explanatory text and (potentially) making some options available to users. I would have liked to have the option to choose either the payment plan that was set up for me, OR to pay the fee in one lump sum (note: when I spoke to TUIO about this, they processed the lump sum for me, but being able to do this without a call to customer service would have been nice). Additionally, both my credit card and my bank account are in the TUIO system, yet for this particular payment I was only offered the option of using my bank account. I normally use my credit card for everything in order to take advantage of its perks, so again, just a little explanatory text as to why I didn't have the choice would have been nice. No one likes being left with questions, especially when it comes to our money!

2 years ago

Thank you for the review Dori, great to hear how you enjoy using the system as a parent! You could contact us directly through the help beacon in your TUIO account anytime you need. The school may only be giving the option for bank account payment on the Tuition only, but if you ask them they may have accommodated you to use credit card (and of course we could have assisted from support). For other payments you should be able to use the credit card and take advantage of those convenience points. You should be able to change payment plan before confirming payment, next year I am sure the school will give that option to select it as parent.

Julie
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

TUIO wins in customization and flexibility.

Pros:

Customer service and the implementation specialists are top notch! The way the system organizes programs is easy and efficient.

Cons:

The reported numbers are not actual figures. It would be preferable if the numbers detailed in the program totals and the dashboard were only the funds that the school actually collected/will collect. For functions like conversations and forms to be useful for the entire school, there needs to be a way to add users with limited access.

4 months ago

Thanks for the awesome review Julie. You can get the totals that the school is ultimately receiving via the invoice exports on TUIO. I took a note of your feedback as I think there could be a good way to turn on or off the gross vs. net view on the dashboard and programs tabs. Our permissions release went live in October 2023 so you can give users limited access whenever you are ready!

Kristi
Office Manager in US

Hoping it gets better

Comments: The conversion happened fairly simply, and the payment processing has been exceptional, from my perspective. However we also want to use tuio as a student information management system and so far it's lacking. Also the reporting suck so far, but we have been told this will be improved in the next few moths/in 2024.

Pros:

The links to fill out forms, the notifications and payment processing are wonderful. The service is also exceptional (customer service and attentiveness)

Cons:

The reporting. Everything coming in an excel spreadsheet that must be manipulated is time consuming and not optimal

3 months ago

Hi Kristi, early 2024 we have a custom report feature coming at the same time as attendance. This will make pulling student info reports even easier. In the meantime TUIO support can help you if you're struggling with the spreadsheet management.

Lydia
Executive Assistant in US

A Good Payment Processing Option for Microschools

Comments: Overall, we have been pleased with our service. We recognize that TUIO is a growing company making great strides in the education management industry. I would recommend them to schools that are looking for a high-quality school management system with a conservative budget.

Pros:

First, there's no monthly fee!! This is a major bonus for schools with a conservative budget. We also like how TUIO allows for billing and invoices to be processed automatically. Reminders are sent to families three days before payment processing. The service charge per transaction is minimal and can be set to be paid by the school or the families. The onboarding process was thorough and smooth. [sensitive content hidden] is an excellent customer support liaison. We receive quality, one-on-one customer service whenever we have questions.

Cons:

The system is designed more for accountants or a finance team. Some of the filters and groupings are not intuitive. For example, looking up overdue invoices is (currently) a cumbersome process. This may be because we are not accounting savvy.

4 months ago

Thanks for the amazing review Lydia. To view all the overdue invoices in just one click, there is a filter in the 'Invoices' tab specifically for that purpose. I'll have support reach out to you with the relevant article.

Endrit
Business Manager in US

Survey Feedback

Comments: Nice!

Pros:

Its UI/UX and ease of use in general, and the filtering options

Cons:

the fact that i cannot tell how much money we received in our bank deposited per month, unless i download the forms and calculate it somehow myself (it also gives me the perception that tuio wants to hide the fees that it charges parents or us for us not to see)

4 months ago

Thanks for the review Endrit! You can absolutely easily see how much you've received, as the deposit payout amounts are shown on the invoice export (with the corresponding invoices for reconciliation purposes), as well as the applicable fees. We are transparent about the processing fees involved with online payments and we have columns for them on the export for calculating your expenses. I'll have support reach out to you to spotlight how easy it is to reconcile your payments. Even big 3rd party auditors have given us unsolicited feedback of how easy the TUIO export made their life during a school audit compared to previous systems the school used.

Sheryl
Finance Manager in Canada

Could be better

Comments: Great, friendly customer service, great product knowledge.

Pros:

Fast payments received from customers, who can see their payments and state of account.

Cons:

Bank reconciliation is cumbersome. Partial payments of invoices would be very helpful. More visual aid (Flow charts) to help with problem solving make be of more use.

4 months ago

Thanks for the review Sheryl! I'll have support reach out to you as the bank reconciliation should be very easy to do using our TUIO export. Usually we are hearing about that as a great pro. Flow charts is a great idea, I would like to hear more about your thoughts on those.

Billie Jo

Great service

Comments: LOVE It

Pros:

[sensitive content hidden] ….. very responsive andHelpful. My questions always get answered

Cons:

Accessibility to administrator, can it be limited to one section versus the whole system?

4 months ago

Thanks for the review Billie Jo! Great to hear how much you are enjoying TUIO compared to your previous system. Permission release is set to go live in a few days, so you can limit administrator access. More info to come!

Margaret
Executive Director in US
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

SO Happy we made the move to TUIO!

Comments: From the minute I reached out for a demo I was impressed. All of the representatives I worked with were extremely knowledgeable and kind. The integration from our old system was seamless. It took less than a week to get the demo get set up and start accepting students and payments. Thank you TUIO!

Pros:

TUIO has cut my administrative hours in half when it comes to enrollment, tuition processing, and following up on overdue invoices.

Cons:

I haven't run into anything yet but I dislike.

4 months ago

We appreciate the kind review Margaret, and look forward to supporting your account.

Brent
Directoe in US

So far so good!

Comments: Pretty streamlined honestly. Any issues or questions I’ve had have been taken care of within 24 hours if not sooner

Pros:

Customization of tuition programs that let you set it and forget it. Does it all automatically month after month!

Cons:

Not much to not like.. just having to learn a new software program always has headaches and growing pains.

3 months ago

Thanks for the awesome review Brent!

Haresh
President in US

Great automated process

Comments: It was a little bumpy to understand the process, setup, and enroll- but once completed it is great to work with.

Pros:

Payment process and automation is great with the ease of reporting and process.

Cons:

A bit pricey with process fees- but a great value overall.

4 months ago

Thanks for outlining the process Haresh, great review!

Gina
Owner/Operator in US

TUIO Changed My Life

Comments: TUIO has saved me countless hours on accounting and now I have more free time to hang out with the kiddos - which is what I love to do! I also love that TUIO doesn't cost me an arm and a leg - I am a small business and the cost of the software was a big factor for me. TUIO charges me $1.50 per invoice processed (this can be passed on to the person paying the invoice if you choose). TUIO charges my families $0 if they pay via checking account and standard credit card fees if they pay via credit card. After using TUIO for nearly a year, I feel this is an exceptional value. I highly recommend!!

Pros:

TUIO has changed my life! I have a small after school child care business and I also offer summer camps. Previous to TUIO, I was emailing an invoice every month and families were submitting payment via Venmo. I was spending many hours a month on invoicing and was tracking everything manually for end of year reporting. I recently expanded my child care business and I needed a simple way to set up monthly invoicing with an auto pay option for my enrolled families. TUIO has been the perfect solution. The software is easy to use, offers intuitive enrollment set up and there are many reports that you can pull for more detailed data analysis. With TUIO, I enroll a family one time in my program and set up their payment plan for the year. The system sends an email to the parent to set up their payment information that authorizes all invoices for the year. Every month when the payment is processed, it is automatically deposited into my business account and the parents receive an email receipt. TUIO is so easy to use for this purpose. I can't say enough good things about it!

Cons:

TUIO is an accounting system for childcare services. It doesn't have all the extra bells and whistles of check in/out, messaging services and in depth student profiles that some software has. I didn't want or need those extra features for an after school program -- TUIO does exactly what I was looking for. Setting up new "Program" can be tricky. I have only done it twice - once for the school year enrollment and once for summer camp enrollment. Since I don't do it often, I set up a video chat with TUIO customer service and they have helped me both times. TUIO customer service is AMAZING by the way. They are responsive and available.

9 months ago

We truly appreciate the thoughtful, in-depth review Gina.

Melanie
Owner/Director in Canada

Makes Our Jobs Easier

Comments: We love it! I recommend it to all my fellow childcare owners/operators.

Pros:

As a childcare owner, I am no expert in accounting and always struggled with record keeping and yearly tax receipts were a nightmare and so time consuming. This year, with Tuio, I issued all my tax receipts in under 15 minutes. They looked professional and were accurate and there was no corrections needed. What a time saver and a professional-looking service to offer our clients.

Cons:

A lot of parents comment or panic when they set up their account and see the “total amount of all the invoices” on the first page. They don’t even bother to open the invoices, they immediately contact us wanting to know why their invoice is so high. We spend a lot of time explain it to parents. Also, there should be a mention in the sign up email(or in a more prominent spot) that is sent to new clients to alert them that the link expires in a set time. So many have needed to be resent, because they expired.

2 years ago

Thank you very much for the review Melanie. Happy to hear about the time savings you are taking advantage of. When the parent clicks a link that has expired, there is a self-serve option to resend a new link. I will add that language to the new parent letter from now on to make it more clear. Yes there is a clear distinction in the payment set up between any amount "due now" and any due in the future. I can understand if it's often overlooked (if they don't click to expand view of all the invoices) and can look to add ways to make it more clear what is due now versus what is scheduled to come due in the future.

Jesse
Owner in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 2–10 Employees

EA Academy - TUIO Review

Comments: I am happy with TUIO so far and look forward to continue to work with the team. I also am looking forward to the continued improvements I know I can expect.

Pros:

The customer support is one of the best features. When emailed or called, the staff responds promptly and with information that solves any problem.

Cons:

Some of the features are not as user friendly as they could be. We have had some parents miss the account creation step and then have trouble registering their student when the next enrollment comes around. It's also a little tricky to see the details of each family without diving deeply into their information.

9 months ago

Thanks for the review Jesse! I heard from my support team that there was a step being missed when enrolling the students and that this has since been resolved using the bulk notify feature (re: sending the parent the notice- we give an option to enroll without sending in case more work needs to be done on the enrollment customization). Stay tuned for upcoming new releases and notes.

Kevin
Volunteer in Canada
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Fantastic app for managing our multi location schools

Comments: Our schools (Saturday mornings only, aligns with the K-12 school year) are mainly run by volunteers (myself included) so we do not have much time or resource to spend on school software. During the recent pandemic, our 5 schools (15+ years each) suddenly could not run classes out of the local secondary schools and we needed a solution for online registration and payments to accommodate the new Zoom classes we started offering. TUIO's entire package of Enrollment Management, Student Information System, and Payments was especially appealing because we never had to accept credit or debit cards. TUIO Support is friendly and responsive, and we have seen several of our own feedback be added as enhancements to the product.

Pros:

The intuitive design and overall flexibility to configure TUIO to meet our needs.

Cons:

The accounting export requires more massaging of spreadsheet output, and the difference in time zones also made it more confusing for some of our less tech savvy users.

9 months ago

Thanks for the thorough review Kevin! Glad to hear about the specific reasons you went with us, and always happy to support your account. The accounting export is currently undergoing a redesign and we hope to have that live soon to make the inputs into accounting software easier.

Adina
Managing Director in Canada
Religious Institutions, 2–10 Employees

A great system

Pros:

The user interface is nice and clean. TUIO takes the hassle out of allowing parents to pay in instalments. Customer support has always been really fast and responsive, whether I've had a question about how something works or a feature request. And all payments have gone through as expected.

Cons:

There are exceptional cases where things can be confusing, for example, parents receiving an invoice for zero dollars that has a due date. The data export process for invoices is great, but refunds issued aren't easy to track with the exported data.

last year

Thanks for the review Adina. Parents with an invoice discounted or credited to 0, you can use the 'Mark as Paid' feature so they are marked as paid at 0 amount before the due date. We have a component to do this automatically going live in the near future. Have a look at the 'Transactions' tab of the invoice export, which should make it a lot easier to see the refunds occurring on a given invoice. As you are aware an invoice can have multiple transaction so that is where the data is most visible! Always appreciate the feedback.

Mary
Business Operations Manager in US
Higher Education Software, 11–50 Employees

Highly Recommend

Comments: The experience has been excellent and exceeded my expectations.

Pros:

The customer service is outstanding. My bookkeeper and I are extremely helped by the ability to run any report that we would like to. For the most part, it is a very intuitive system to use. The transaction fees are reasonable. The ability to use both a registration and an enrollment is helpful to our audience.

Cons:

The only thing I would change is adding the ability to create a group, say the "1st grade" group of 14 students, so I can select that group and send an invoice to all 14 at the same time, instead of having to enter their names individually.

8 months ago

Hi Mary, you can use programs and filter enrollments to accomplish what you are looking to do. Please reach out to [email protected] if you would like us to walk you through it. I will add your feedback to our development plan document. Thanks for the review!

Sara
Administration in Canada

Satisfactory

Pros:

That we do not need to 'collect' money, your platform does that for us

Cons:

That when payments don't go through or aren't approved there isn't a way to ensure we receive those monies

4 months ago

Hi Sara, thanks for the review. With regards to failed payments or payments that need to be auto approved, feel free to contact [email protected] to get involved or to help reach out to parents. We have features you can use as admin to initiate the payment and approve invoice-I'll have support contact you soon.

Shakha

TUIO helps save time

Comments: We are happy we have moved from a manual system to TUIO it saves us time

Pros:

TUIO helps save time and it has helped us streamline our payments management

Cons:

We are unable to process credit cards if a parent is at the center and wants to make a payment. The system has not been updated to add our EIN number to the invoices which is necessary for tax credits for parents. Also when we enter student details TUIO only generates invoice with one parent name so if the other parent wants to get a FSA credit from work they are unable to do so and we have to give them a manual invoice. Group messaging is not possible yet

8 months ago

Hi Shakha, please contact [email protected] as nearly all of those cons you mentioned can already be done in TUIO natively You may have missed some of our feature updates!

Laura
Admin Coordinator in US
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

The TUIO support team is superb!

Comments: The onboarding process with the representatives, the support offered and the experience with the TUIO staff is exceptional. TUIO is continually making improvements and listens to the needs of its customers.

Pros:

The TUIO support team is responds to requests in a timely manner. They go above and beyond to assist admin and parents with any questions or issues that may arise. They also provide exceptional support to admin in payment collection from families for past due payments. The support they offer is unlike any other comparable software.

Cons:

At the time, parents were unable to utilize more than one payment method. That may have changed since then.

2 years ago

We really appreciate the thorough review Laura. Your parents can have more than one payment method on TUIO and are welcome to change it invoice to invoice. If parents ever need the payment split for multiple payment methods we can accommodate that as well.

Yanli
Consumer Services, 11–50 Employees

Good product

Comments: I feel very happy with this product. Thank you!

Pros:

The user graphics are good. Easy to find and learn.

Cons:

None. I hope the parents' bank information can be share in different program.

2 years ago

Hi Yanli, thank you for the kind review. Parent payment methods are kept in their unique parent account so they can confirm and apply it to as many programs as you need. They don't need to reenter the same information over and over.

Donna
Administrative Assistant in US

Helpful and efficient

Comments: Getting TUIO set up seemed to take a bit longer than figured, but the set-up team was very helpful, efficient, and available in every step of the process. The same can be said about their customer service, they are also very good, helpful, and commendable. There is always a quick response to any question or issue. The main reason we signed up with TUIO was to help with invoicing and payment processing, and TUIO has helped a lot with this.

Pros:

TUIO has helped with invoicing and keeping track of payments, and payment processing. This was the main reason we signed up with TUIO, although we realize there are several other features that are available. The customer service is very commendable! We always receive quick responses to emails and chat.

Cons:

Setting up programs and registrations in order to create invoices seems a bit confusing. But with that, the customer service is always helpful! Having to do everything online is a small drawback. Some parents have also expressed their desire for a phone app, instead of having to go to a website.

4 months ago

Thanks for the amazing review Donna! The parents can go right to our app website from their phone or any other device with a browser and internet access enabled.

Katya
Owner in US

Great system

Comments: Easy to use, support is great respond quickly and always friendly and trying to help. Love Tuio!

Pros:

Ease of use, no upfront fees and that fees are taken from the cutover as we are a school and would not be able to afford the system otherwise

Cons:

The inability to link data, to see the student I’d - every time we need to pull new data to see the student ID. Hard to manage with pieces of information on different parts of the system - there should be a way to pull consolidated list with all system information

Thanks for the review!

Gillian
Office Manager in Canada
Music, 11–50 Employees

TUIO is great!

Pros:

I love not having to chase parents for money as much.

Cons:

I wish you could duplicate an existing program. Our programs are often very similar in dates and wording, so it would be helpful to just have to go in, duplicate a program, and update the pricing as needed.

last year

Thanks Gillian, creating new programs should not be time consuming but we are working on a feature to duplicate programs. The only thing you would have to check would be the payment plan dates and amounts of course. The app we have is SaaS so a trick we use is to duplicate the tab that way you can copy and paste the information from old program over to the new program.

Michelle
Administrative Assistant/ HR Lead in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 11–50 Employees

Excellent Customer Service

Comments: Awesome!

Pros:

I was new to TUIO and had to start from scratch. [sensitive content hidden] was there from the beginning. He took the time, many meetings to show me how TUIO worked. He always answers emails almost immediately. He is always patient, kind and easy to work with. I never had such customer service in all my years in the administrative field.

Cons:

It would be nice if you guys did payroll. It would be nice if TUIO had more options in the reports.

4 months ago

Thanks for the review Michelle, I'll share it with Etan! I will discuss adding accounts payable features with the team. We have a custom reports feature coming soon, early next year it should be live with attendance.

Ameal
Office Manager in US

Love TUIO

Comments: It has been a learning experience to learn TUIO. However, customer support is always prompt and very helpful in answering my questions.

Pros:

I love how we set up a payment plan for the year have our parents choose the mode of payment. Very easy to do

Cons:

How difficulty with some of the set up can be confusing.

8 months ago

Thank you for the review Ameal!