• Overall
    4.8 /5
    4.7 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.9 /5

About Katana

Smart MRP software for small&scaling manufacturers. Integrates with Shopify, WooCommerce, Xero, QuickBooks, Zapier and has an open API.

Learn more about Katana

Founder and CEO
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-09-05

"I dont understand all the great reviews"

Pros: The interface is intuitive. The pricing seems okay.

Cons: This software is seriously lacking features. For all those who wrote reviews saying they love the software, I want to know what industry they work in and how they use the app. It doesnt offer very basic features. You can't bulk edit, you literally need to upload an excel sheet if you want to change several products. There are no images for your products. How does it not support images? This is basic database stuff. And currently, you can only manufacture items from one location! Who's rating this software as great?!

by Katana MRP on 2019-09-30

As a fast growing software, we understand the concerns you have with Katana. At our current development speed, all of the mentioned lacking features are made available by the end of this year. Hope you will give us another chance!

• Reviewed on 2019-09-05
Paul M.
Head of Operations

"Very Useful"

Comments: The overall experience has been excellent so far. Katana has helped us transition away from using spreadsheets to track our manufacturing operations and really professionalise our processes. It's an integral part of our everyday operations.

Pros: Katana has multiple features which have very useful in improving our manufacturing processes. The ability to create recipes for each product has been a huge help for us as we have quite a lot of raw materials in each finished product. The Shop Floor app has been brilliant for us to track production/assembly time more accurately. This has been a great help in pinpointing an accurate cost per unit.

Cons: The only aspect that hasn't met our expectations so far has been the batch tracking feature. This is an excellent feature and one that would be so helpful for us. However, we need it to work automatically with our Shopify orders and at the moment sales orders can only be attributed to particular batches if you fulfil them on the Katana dashboard. We need this to happen automatically when our Shopify orders are fulfilled.

Denis O.
Designer
Printing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020-12-31

"Best MRP/inventory manager for small business"

Comments: Overall, I'm very happy with Katana. Even though I run a small business and the price is relatively high for me, it's still well worth it. Adding new orders is quick and simple, but more importantly, I can instantly see if I have all the required resources at hand. Even if I have a few dozen pending orders, their coloured chart makes it so easy to quickly see if there are any issues.

Pros: Very easy to use without cluttered interface. This was my biggest selling point when comparing Katana to other similar products. Everything is so well organised and easy to glance over, while still offering nearly everything that I need for myself. I also like that any changes in the inventory are immediately reflected in open orders. This is true for everything that I've used so far; as soon as I make a change in one area, it instantly reflects in all others as well.

Cons: I'm missing one feature, but it's more due to the specific nature of my business. It would be great if I could organize my inventory not just by total combined weight, but broken down into individual units as well. For example, if my order requires 500g of plastic in one piece, but I have two separate pieces of 250g each, Katana will show that I have enough resources, even though I can't fill my order since I need one unbroken piece. I've already got in touch with their support about this and they've said my request was put on their wish list, so I'm fairly confident it will eventually get implemented.

by Katana MRP on 2021-01-13

Thank you for choosing Katana!

• Reviewed on 2020-12-31
Brandon K.
Consumer Electronics, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-02-09

"Perfect for where we're at right now"

Comments: We chose Katana after trying out a couple different MRP's which were either overly complex, over-priced, or didn't fit our needs. We've stuck with Katana based on it's ease-of-use, intuitive design, and delivery of everything we need it to do.

Pros: It's great to be able to log in on any computer without having to install software, and it's done an amazing job of keeping our inventory tidy and up-to-date. The Purchase Order generator has also made us look very professional to our suppliers. The integration with Shopify is also a huge plus to us as it prevents us from having to manually transfer Shopify orders and automatically removes all parts from the BOM from our inventory. Highly recommended!

Cons: There aren't many, if any things we've come up against yet that Katana didn't support.

by Katana MRP on 2020-02-13

• Reviewed on 2020-02-09
Jeff H.
General Manager
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-12-18

"Most Intuitive MRP Ever"

Comments: Overall it's simple to setup, simple to use, and while not quite polished, does everything we need in a hugely user friendly way.

Pros: I was looking for a solution for seasonal manufacturing workers that we don't have time to get up to speed with some complex MRP - Kanata's UI is the most intuitive interface out of any MRP I was able to find. The ease of re-prioritising jobs, and the automatic stock refactoring is awesome, and the team are really, really responsive to feature ideas and issues. Seamless integrations with WooCommerce makes supplying orders to customers super easy.

Cons: It doesn't quite have everything we need, some of which I though we're quite base (Bin Locations, Supplier Product Codes, Purchase Orders that email directly to suppliers), but all of those have work arounds, and I'm assured are planned for future development.

by Katana MRP on 2021-01-13

Thank you for the review!

• Reviewed on 2020-12-18
Andrew D.
Techinical Director
Chemicals, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-01-31

"A nessecary tool"

Comments: Mainly we have had a good experience, the system is updated to try and make it fit every company model.
It has helped me monitor our business and stock levels closely, you just have to make sure it is kept up to date so that it accurately reflects your current stock levels.

Pros: Helps keep track of work stock if used correctly. Updated regulary. We had an issue where there was not enough decimal places for us to input our formulas, we raised this issue and within a month it was fixed. Allows me to quickly find out a customers purchasing history and the percentage profit made per product

Cons: My only issue is that it is slightly expensive for a small company.

• Reviewed on 2020-01-31
David B.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-11-12

"Katana for manufacturing"

Comments: Lots of potential Katana, it a emerging system sure it doesn't have the xero integration in play atm but like my own business Katana is also growing so I like that I have partner with a operating system that going through similar growing pains as we are. if you have a manufacturing process you wish to have better control of I recommend exploring this system.

Pros: I have been operating my business using excel, xero, monday.com and email. After searching for a system that could centralise my focus I came across Katana which in essence consolidates all the previous mentioned systems into one interface which saves me a tonne of time. secondly the customer support, I have had a lengthy skype call with Hannes who is a founder of Katana where by he provided a demo session of how the software will be suitable for my business needs. I really valued to the bespoke service which ensured I got off to the right start.

Cons: The intergration to Xero is in development but this has been the most noteable con to date, that said Katana is working on this and it should be available shortly

by Katana MRP on 2019-11-14

Thank you David for sharing your experience we are happy to grow with you!

• Reviewed on 2019-11-12
Alexander A.
Head of Technology & Logistics
Printing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-09-09

"Perfect choice for small manufacturing company"

Comments: We are a starting up printing company which has been looking for a fast learning curve solution to manage our manufacturing and supply chain data. Katana turned out to be a perfect match for us.

Pros: + Simplicity. Probably most intuitive specialized software I've used.
+ Price structure. Very affordable for us.
+ Customer support.

Cons: - Lack of some "nice to have features". But, it's another side of simplicity and affordability, right?

by Katana MRP on 2019-09-10

Thank you for sharing your experience with Katana!

• Reviewed on 2019-09-09
Alejandro R.
  • Reviewed on 2019-10-09

"The software we've been searching for!"

Comments: Katana makes it easy to take our manufacturing to a new level by adding structure that will end up saving time and ultimately saving money.

Pros: Easy to use, flows and clear path to implementation.

Cons: Would like to see Multi-languages and currency options.

by Katana MRP on 2019-10-10

• Reviewed on 2019-10-09
Chessa N.
VP Accounts & Operations
Packaging & Containers, 11-50 Employees

"Worth the Price"

Comments: Great experience. It has made a huge impact and improvement on our production and scheduling and we are now much more efficient.

Pros: Easy to learn, easy to set up and user friendly. It is the perfect visual tool to immediately show what orders are available for production and which are not with the inventory you have on hand. Easy for shop floor workers to understand and implement. Improved shop to office communication. Makes scheduling easy and quick.

Cons: I wish it had an integrated scheduling calendar that could be personalized and blocked out according to production times per order. I also wish when you backed up it would go to the previous page and not take you back to the main sell or make page causing you to have to find where you were again. Minor improvements would make this software pretty close to perfect for us.

Robert D.
Managing Director
Chemicals, 2-10 Employees

"Easy To Use"

Comments: Before Katana we had our inventory and orders etc in different spreadsheets and systems. we where always miscalculating what stock we had and had to double and some times triple entry on all. we discovered Katana and now its all in the one system that is easy to use.

Pros: it is very simple to use and helpful to have all the information in the one spot

Cons: i cannot think of anything that i did not like

by Katana MRP on 2020-01-22

Thank you for the feedback and kind words!

Jordan B.
CEO/Engineer
Consumer Electronics, 2-10 Employees

"Worth every penny"

Comments: I get space back in my head. I used to always be thinking about inventory and what I'm going to run out of next. My spreadsheets weren't very effective. This solves that problem without costing as much as bloated ERP systems.

Pros: Since it integrates with my Shopify store, I now have a closed loop system that can tell me what I need to make, and how much of each part I need to make it.

Cons: There could be some extra automation features, like when I create a make-order of a product with subassemblies, it should create make-orders for all of the subassemblies. And when I do that, it should also create purchase orders for all of the parts I'm missing. But I can see why a feature like that could lead to other issues.

Robert M.
  • Reviewed on 2020-01-22

"Katana"

Comments: Workflow was a problem for us as was keeping track of raw materials - Katana solved both of these on day one!

Pros: The ease of setup to a non-ERP user was great and support team always willing to help

Cons: Minor enhancements like customising documents produced and report Paramus/filters neon saved

by Katana MRP on 2020-01-23

• Reviewed on 2020-01-22
Paolo R.
Operations Manager
Food Production, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-05-15

"Break through"

Comments: Initially had bumps when I was setting it up, but overall once you immerse yourself within the software. It's relatively easy to use and I thank all the customer service representative that extended their help to me.

Pros: The software is fairly easier to use as compared to other providers. It's pretty straight forward and the booking system gives us an immediate glimpse of our current production status. Customer service is also excellent!

Cons: The company behind Katana is relatively new, so there are still a lot more features that they can add but I know they have been working on them! Would love to have access control options feature.

• Reviewed on 2020-05-15
Thomas H.
Textiles, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-12-17

"A good support"

Pros: We use Katana everyday to track our supply flows through different warehouses and to get the average value in stock. Once the main integration is made it is easy to use.
Katana team members were always available to help us through this process and still are when needed.

Cons: Our use of Katana is limited since we are not handling our production ourselves, so we don't use all the functions available and have to adjust the features to our business. Small changes like adjusting the interface according to the daily customer needs would be a real bonus.

by Katana MRP on 2020-12-28

Thank you for your feedback!

• Reviewed on 2020-12-17
Charmayne I.
Customer Service Manager
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-01-30

"As Described, Easy to Use"

Pros: Product is as described, mostly. Easy to use. Has made a big difference in sorting orders and tracking inventory. Reasonably priced for a small business. There is a lot to the software program, and we are still learning, but customer service is always available to assist in answering any questions, and so far each employee that has used it, agrees that it is easy to navigate through.

Cons: Lacking a few features but they are expanding and often adding new features.

by Katana MRP on 2020-02-10

THank you for the support!

• Reviewed on 2020-01-30
Philippe F.
IT Manager
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 11-50 Employees

"Katana does the job"

Comments: With Katana, I could implement all our very special "recipes" we use to create our products as well as easily manage our inventory of raw materials as well as finished goods. The integration is seamless with Shopify, which is what we needed. Very good product!!

Pros: All the features I need to manage our manufacturing and inventory for our Shopify stores is in this app ! Easy to use.

Cons: It is a bit slow at times and the creation of product recipes is a lengthy process.

by Katana MRP on 2020-01-22

Masataka M.
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021-03-23

"Almost everything we need in one app"

Comments: Satisfied.

Pros: Batch tracking was something we needed and always faced issues with. It is now solved using this software.

Cons: To raise a PO to purchase certain materials from suppliers, it would be good if a list of all the items supplied by the selected supplier can appear on the screen to select from rather than remembering which supplier each ingredients come from.

Keli S.
Founder/CEO
Cosmetics, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021-03-29

"From the Kitchen to the Warehouse"

Pros: Katana has been instrumental in scaling our skincare brand from small batches in the kitchen to larger scale operations and inventory tracking in our warehouse.

Cons: A drawback is the inability to track shipping supplies, leaving those to be manually tracked for replenishment.

• Reviewed on 2021-03-29
Natalie R.
Operations
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021-03-23

"Great Tool to Help Growth Progress"

Pros: Katana has proved a very useful tool for our mid sized business. We have been able to track inventory more efficiently and link our shopify orders. Since we both manufacture products and buy products, this was a great place that we could track both in. By linking the orders, it automatically depletes stock as well so seamlessly.

Cons: Initially setting it up was a bit hard at times (as expected) since we were trying to quickly connect all of our channels and we accidentally zeroed out inventory or duplicated inventory more than once. However, once we got it going, it proved very useful.

Israel S.
Food & Beverages, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020-02-06

"Amazing Product, Solid Support Team"

Pros: Katana has been an important integration for streamlining our business processes from purchase orders to manufacturing and inventory. The support team provides prompt responses and work to integrate requests as best as possible.

Cons: Katana is always integrating more requests each day. One of the things we await is the ability to update our accounting software with inventory from raw to finished goods.

by Katana MRP on 2020-02-10

Thank you for your feedback!

• Reviewed on 2020-02-06

Zach C.
Ops Ninja
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 2-10 Employees

"Smooth Operator"

Comments: It has been great, highly recommend for small to medium business. Very user friendly!

Pros: Katana has made our day to day business so much more fluid and stress free. It was easy to build out the product lines, upload product sku's and flip the switch on going live. Game changer!

Cons: On the production schedule front, hoping that the software will eventually lump all the tasks together, I have multiple consumers that order the same item, each order is its own line item instead of being lumped into a group, so our production team needs to scrub the tasks before production starts as to make sure they capture each item, as to not create redunancy in work.

Klaus K.
Management
Machinery, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-08-21

"First Impression KATANA - perfect fit for smaller companies which do not need a complex ERP-system"

Comments: For our requirements, set-up and company size the best we could find and test!
We will manage inventory/warehouse with 5000+ items, handle products with ingredients & operations, edit quotes, generate sales orders and mark received orders as shipped for automated invoice generation in Quickbooks. The cloud-based concept and the reduced complexity combined with an intuitivbe operatzion makes this SW easy to install and to work with if you have a team in different geographic locatioopns (as we have).
Set-up of KATANA is absolutely simple, mostl yself-explanatory and can be done by any "power-user" without need of (expensive) external ERP-consultants.

Pros: Handling of inventory, items, products, ingredients, sales orders - all this is handled in a very efficient, clear and easy to use way. Makes the difference compared to many alternative MRP-/ERP-systems.
Connector to QuickBooks with automatic trigger for invoices in QB once the products are marked as shipped in KATANA.
Connector to Shopify for on-line sale of spare parts.
100% helpful and open minded customer service - very helpful in helping to understand all features and finding the best workflow for specific situations.

Cons: There are some functions/features which need improvement, e.g. the customization of documents such as Quotations so every company can generate a set of individual template to serve different areas (machines, spare parts, service,..). 3-5 custom fields for Quotes/Sales Orders/Products would be helpful. Althoug KATANA is intended to be a MRP-system it would be helpful to integrate SERVICE-articles (not only MAKE or BUY articles). This would allow to add a possible service portion to a spare parts quote.
Dedicated Delivery Notes (with partial shipments) would be a great feature.

by Katana MRP on 2020-12-28

Thank you! Glad you are getting value out of Katana.

• Reviewed on 2020-08-21
Ellowyn I.
Consumer Goods, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019-09-06

"Great choice for small manufacturer"

Comments: I tried several different MRPs before settling with Katana. Some were too clunky, others too expensive, complicated and elaborate. I felt a bit like Goldilocks. Katana was just right. Reasonably priced. Integrating with Quickbooks and Shopify was simple and efficient. The set up was fast. I no longer have to duplicate data entry onto multiple systems. This saves me times and I don't lose track of orders or inventory. I especially like the instant chat feature with their customer service reps. I can leave a quick message or screenshot of a problem and within a day or so, I have a response back and my problem resolved. No need to hire an expensive consultant, anyone could set up Katana and run it.

Pros: Very simple user-interface
Was able to set it up quickly and efficiently
Continual feature upgrades
Simple integration with Shopify & QuickBooks
Very responsive customer service
Detailed, but not overwhelming

Cons: The upload from Excel was clunky and not helpful. It was faster to just enter in the data directly.
There are features I look forward to having but that are not currently available. I know their team will be releasing them in the next year.

by Katana MRP on 2019-09-10