Square Payments Reviews

4.7 (2,058) Write a Review!

About Square Payments

Square powers secure payments even when you dont use a reader. Virtual Terminal for over-the-phone transactions, Invoices and more!

Learn more about Square Payments

Pros:

I have used square payment for two of my online stores before, the integration process is very easy, the payment processing is fantastic and the fees is inexpensive.

Cons:

You cannot change the currency once you create the customer, it's really bad because maybe the client could pay with another credit card or another currency.

Square Payments ratings

4.7
4.4
4.6
4.5

8.8/10

Square Payments has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 2,058 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Square Payments before?

Filter reviews (2,058)

Brett
Band Manager in US
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees

The Only Merchandise, Website, & Card Payment Manager You Will Ever Need

Comments: Square has satisfied all card processing, website management, inventory management, and merchandise marketing needs for us over the past 6 years wonderfully and will hopefully continue to be the main catalyst in our financial minimization and success as a touring/professional band moving forward!

Pros:

As a user of Square for about 6 years now in managing my band’s merchandise, website sales, in-person sales, and all credit/debit card processing needs, I can honestly say that this is the best card processing software in today’s market. The fact that the card processing fees are as reasonable as they are with the card readers and entire web store being 100% free, makes Square the best value when compared to other alternatives. I recommend square almost daily to all my colleagues, business partners, and new fellow musicians I meet each week at home and on the road.

Cons:

There are no cons about using square. I truly cannot even think of one thing I dislike about this software as everything from payments, processing, inventory management, to direct deposit, and even website management is on point at all times. Well done Square.

Anne
Owner, Registered Massage Therapist in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Good things DO come in small packages

Comments: Overall, I am absolutely pleased with my decision to go with Square payments and devices. It has proven to be a powerful little tool, and has exceeded my expectations for my business and administration needs.

Pros:

I was prepared, with rolled up sleeves, to set up my Square devices and software, expecting snags and integration challenges. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to set up and how quickly I had it up and running. The hardware is small and does not take up much space, the software is easy to manage and customize, and the reporting is always current, which is a big bonus for me. My patients have often remarked at how swift and easy it is to be processed after treatment, and the simple tap or wallet payment platform is loved by them. Especially since it is hands free. This software allows me to have things all ready for them without any wait periods. On the backend, I really am grateful for the reporting and transaction logs which are always current. This makes bookwork so much easier.

Cons:

My only stumbling block to date has been with the online gift cards. There doesn't seem to be a way to see when someone has purchased one. You only know of the purchase when you redeem it. I would like to know what is out there.

Kelly
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 2-10 Employees

High processing rates, worth every penny!

Comments: I absolutely love that Square offers so many features for small businesses and that they all integrate. If I could give myself advice when I first opened my business, it would be "Don't get a bunch of different programs and lie to yourself that you'll just be more diligent keeping records. Just open the business with Square for everything so it's all integrated in one place."

Pros:

It's soooo easy to use! The interface is very easy for our clients to use. It's taking us less time to ring clients out, and clients are leaving much higher tips than when we used other processors. I absolutely love how Square offers all the services a small business could ask for: credit card processing, invoicing, accepting payments offsite, POS systems, appointment booking, ecommerce, the list goes on. I tried lots of other services before switching to Square for everything, and I wish I had just saved myself the time and started using Square for everything and integrating systems right when my business first opened.

Cons:

My only hang up with Square is their high processing rates. I'm aware that they can offer better rates if a business does greater than $250k annually in sales, but that's only if the payments have all been through Square. So it's a little annoying that we're easily surpassing that and proving that with previous years' reports is not sufficient.

I Recommend Square to Everyone

Comments: First of all, I feel like Square listens to its customers and really wants to understand what features they need and how they need their software to work. They have forums and support and use the information acquired from this to improve their product features regularly.

Pros:

Square is a really amazing credit card processing, payment gateway, invoicing, booking, and product inventory management option for small to medium size businesses. The value of everything they provide for your to help run your business, beyond just credit card processing, is unmatched. While you are getting a very competitive processing rate, they offer you all of these other tools to run your business mostly for free. They also integrate with 3rd party applications in case they are missing a feature you need. The booking capability alone is worth the credit card processing fees you're paying.

Cons:

There are a few limitations to some of the applications they offer but it's hard to complain because they are free AND they are constantly listening to their customers to make improvements on those applications. They do charge more if you want to keep your customers credit card on file for automatic payment or recurring billing which in my opinion is counter intuitive and unfair to the businesses using them because technically it means more easily processed payments they are making money on and it's not costing them any extra to process a card already on file. You are basically paying extra for the convenience.

Jessica
Jessica
Hospitality, 2-10 Employees

Square Payments

Comments: My overall experience with Square is very positive and I will continue using it for years to come.

Pros:

I can accept all kind of payments. When i started my business I realized most if my customers didn't carry cash. I can take any debit or credit card and if it doesn't swipe with the free reader Square gave me I also have the option of typing it in. My customers no longer have to run to the bank to get cash. With the pandemic going on it also helps that I can take contactless payments to make my customers feel safe. Everyone should know about this and share with other business owners, friends, or familt. I give this software my highest recommendation.

Cons:

There are so many pros and I cant think of but one con. It cost every time you swipe a card and a little more if you have to manually type it in. It works out best to pay when you use it if you dont use it that often but if you use it several times there should be a flat rate fee by the month or an option to choose which plan you would like.

Andrew
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees

SQUARE SAVED OUR BUSINESS

Comments: Overall, Square is easy to use, to train new employees with, and the integrations are really smooth. The Square ecosystem is awesome, and we really love it!

Pros:

Square POS has SAVED us during the Covid-19 Pandemic. We setup our online/curbside settings before they were updated, and have been using Square for 5 years prior. Multiple locations, online ordering, direct printing to our iPad Kitchen printers - it all works like you want it to work. We also like the loyalty program options and email campaigns. It's an all around great program for our coffee shop business.

Cons:

All the online/curbside updates have been great, but there are still missing features that have kept us from adopting a lot of them. We are still operating the online in a way that is more of a hack than an intention. For example, we wanted to offer delivery of baked goods but have them 48 hours delivery time - their delivery options are more setup for made to order items that get delivered in 5 minutes to 1 hour. We also really want to see an inventory system on the POS grid - like a little number next to each item showing the inventory.

Robert
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Square is a great option for businesses with mid to lower volume credit card payments

Comments: Square allows us to process credit card payments without having to pay a monthly fee, and the amount we pay is a fixed percentage of credit card receipts. They are a pleasure to use.

Pros:

Square sets up quickly, is easy to configure and add items and service to, and produces excellent receipts for the customer. It also integrates into Quick Books for easy importing of transactions.

Cons:

Occasionally, the card reader has problems connecting to the iPhone we use as a terminal. Even more occasionally, the phone has problems reading from the credit card swipe reader. I'm honestly not sure if this is a Square problem or an iPhone problem. It's not frequent enough to complain about overall.

Cornelia
Cosmetics, 2-10 Employees

The best in the town ( market )

Comments: Very easy and have access to lots of account futures and perks. We have dedicated Android device that work perfect. Very happy with Square POS.

Pros:

We are using this software probably 4 years now, without any any problem. During the time we use different devices and works 100%, without any glitch. Square support was helping us few times to make the tings right and we are very happy in their professionalism and security of all the system. Ohh, yea on this days the security is very important in any business when you work with Credit Cards and money. They are on the top of the game. We try few times other merchants to reduce the fees, but get back to Square for the great service and support.

Cons:

Not real any, If the swap fees would be little lower than 2.75% probably will be great. But hay! prefer service and security first. Very important for our clients and us.

Adeoye
CFO in US
Government Administration, 51-200 Employees

Easy on the go Processor

Comments: I really liked Square. It was very easy to use and made things more efficient. Anything I needed to look up took less than a minute to find. I only needed to contact customer service once and they answered almost immediately. It was very new to us, but I don't ever remembering struggling trying to find things. I also really liked that is was online based. A lot of things we used was based off of our server, so you had to be in the office to use it. Square gave us the ability to be able to look up transactions no matter where we were.

Pros:

I really liked how easy it was to use and implement. We badly needed to have a way to start accepting debit and credit cards. Square helped make that transition easy. We were able to not only take electronic payments in the Finance office, but the Police station as well. It was very easy to use so even teaching people how to use the software was relatively easy. Also you could figure out things easily by just playing around on the site.

Cons:

The only thing I did not like was that there was no option to look at all the departments when it came to transactions and reports. So like if we had 3 departments I could not just look at all the transactions for the day throughout each department. I would have to click the individual department, get what I needed, then repeat it. It made things annoying because it would take a bit longer to record transactions from Square to our accounting software

Hank
consultant / owner in US
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Square - great for small businesses, and not just retail!

Comments: Overall, I love Square. The ability to receive payment from practically anywhere at any time is HUGE for a small business owner. My ability to set up my clients in the address book and add their card on file saves a ton of time. I also like that only the last 4 of their credit card shows up. I do not want the burden of having all that info on file.

Pros:

Square is a great solution to a small business who wants to ensure they can be paid easily, regularly and without burdening their clients. I use it to receive monthly payment for my services for about 30 of my clients and it makes my life and my clients lives easier. Yes, you pay a processing fee, but it is competitive and well worth that small fee to ensure that I get paid. Plus, it only takes me a few minutes to receive payment from all those clients.

Cons:

There are some elements of Square that are not as intuitive as they could be. Setting up a clients card on file can be tricky at times, especially if you use the web browser vs. the app. In general, use the app for EVERYTHING you do and you'll be fine. The other issue I have sometimes is the checkout process. That times a bit of time to get used to and can feel clunky. This should be easier and I believe that Square will do their part to make the updates in time. The final thing, and this is something that may not impact many people, but I use my headphones a lot. I have to be sure to remember to unplug/disconnect them before opening the Square app. If not, it thinks my headphones are the card reader and hits me with a very loud, old school fax machine connection type sound. A painful experience!

Shannon
Graphic Designer in US
Graphic Design Software, 2-10 Employees

Grow your business quickly

Comments: Square eliminated the need for costly card readers from a bank. The invoice feature allowed you to add clients and track when/if an invoice was paid. Overall, Square is an amazing product that is very versatile and a small business hero.

Pros:

Square allows you to take secure payments anywhere. No start-up cost and low processing fees. They also offer a desktop ‘register’ that doesn’t require any software to be installed. Square gave us a professional way to take sales in the field because it eliminates the need for cash payments and gives your customers ease-of-mind when dealing with a start-up. It also provides analytics so that you can track the amount of money you have made and compare that to sales during another time-period. The invoice to email feature was also a time-saver.

Cons:

The pre-determined processing term for funds to be released. You could utilize the paid-for early processing feature but, as a start-up, this was often out of reach. We used this service to take deposits to order client-specific materials so this additional processing time made it difficult to plan projects on occasion.

Jay
COO in US
Photography, 2-10 Employees

Taking payment is a breeze with Square, and the integrations are great!

Comments: Super easy to use, easy to process refunds and easy to see how you are doing (volume of business and sales averages) all due to some great reporting tools. We moved away simply because we thought we needed to find a real "business" processor -- turns out, Square is a legit business processor which zero mystery fees which makes it easier for us to predict revenue flow. Can be quite frustrating paying a high fee on the majority of your transactions, because the processor smacks you with the "reward card" designation on most transactions. Not an issue with Square, you see the rate and that is the rate you pay, no questions asked.

Pros:

We have used many different payment solutions over the years. Most recently we have been using Authorize.net, and while they processed payments just fine, the system is super old and can be frustrating to use. Square is not so, rather they are super easy to use and grow with. Not having to jump through hoops each year to be recertified as PCI compliant (questionnaires and network scans on our end) is really a great bonus we never even knew about before temporarily moving away. We have obviously since moved back and cannot be happier.

Cons:

For our photography studio, the biggest drawback was just the taking of the payments, it really didn't feel as professional as it could be when we had to use our phones for large client orders. That has since become an issue in the past as they have so many options now, including the new Square Terminal which we bought and love to death! So really, the biggest flaw we had, has been resolved.

Business Manager in US
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees

Definitely Reccomend

Comments: Unlike past credit card processing vendors, Square truly makes an effort to show its commitment to small businesses and independent contractors. Even in resolving chargebacks or disputes, Square makes it feel like they've got your back, and that they are doing all they can on your behalf. Past vendors have made it difficult for us to win chargeback disputes by not allowing adequate time to submit documentation or responses, requiring all dispute documents to be physically mailed, etc.

Pros:

Square is very user-friendly both as a mobile app and desktop virtual terminal credit card processing provider. Although their processing fees and rates may not be the lowest, they also don't have hidden fees and mystery surcharges (i.e., higher rates for Visa or MC rewards/miles card transactions, etc.). Furthermore, users can easily access sales reports and/or have set up to be sent to an email address automatically at user-specified intervals. Data in the reporting section is easy to read and understand. Our employees are also able to access transactions receipts, issue refunds, and include additional notes or customer details that appear on a receipt or transaction record(s).

Cons:

Customer Feedback feature is nice, but extremely limited in terms of utility and as a small business marketing tool. Ideally, Square customer feedback would be able to integrate with other reviews or ratings websites and platforms, such as Google for Business, Yelp, Wordpress, etc. I would love to see future updates to this feature that allow customer feedback to be published to external sites or pages like Facebook or Yelp. Virtual Terminal/online POS access for multiple users requires a subscription/pro plan, which is prohibitive for small mom-and-pop outfits like ours. Even if free accounts were allowed 2-3 additional user accounts, that would make a huge difference for internal LP and accountability tracking.

Lillian
Lillian
Retail, Self Employed

Finally a Payment Processing Solution without a major learning curve, fast and efficient, solid!

Comments: I believe that Square is the best payment processing solution for small business. The rates are minimal and there's no month to month charge. Square as a company does not send a lot of emails to my business inbox. They know I can go to their site if I have questions. I absolutely love how I can have charged funds in my account within seconds of pushing a button to automatically transfer those funds to my local bank account. Customers are able to review my company after the purchase! Square has become an accepted payment processing solution with my customers who are very comfortable using it. If they've purchased from other retailers who use Square, their send receipt info is automatic. The moment you press the button to conclude the sale, those customers automatically get receipts. Square goes one step further for those of us who do wholesale as well as retail. I take Square on my phone with me into my wholesale stores. I am able to fill shelves as needed and invoice accordingly on my square payment processing app under the invoicing option. I can select terms and send the invoice to the store owner immediately as an email. No more having to worry about doing invoices after the fact. You can create invoices on the fly with Square Payments Processing! Are you a small businessperson looking for a great payment processing solution? Square made my sales a lot easier. No fumbling around to wait on the software in front of a customer. Easy, fast, reliable!

Pros:

Square is very easy to use! I am a soap and candlemaker who does a lot of farmers markets and shows and Square has made it very easy for me to accept credit cards on-the-go. For those who like to input inventory, you can do so at your laptop and simply select the products that customers are purchasing from your store or market stand shelves for ease of use. I prefer the option that lets me manually enter an amount. Tax is configured on a separate screen prior to usage. When entering in an amount to charge, the square app calculates the tax automatically. I really like the square payment processing wireless chip reader that allows me to accept credit cards that are chip enabled. Customers sign for their purchase and then indicate if they want to have a receipt sent to their email or their phone, an eco-friendly solution and a way my business cuts down on costs. I don't have to purchase receipt books! At the end of market, I push a button and the funds I charged are in my bank account within seconds!

Cons:

Nothing. This is a win, win situation for small business!

Lakita
President in US
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees

Couldn't imagine using any other processor

Comments: We currently use square payments processing for 3 different locations and have always been able to get the assistance we needed. Recently, our developer was able to work with square to obtain access to their API for our new site. Square was helpful in giving us access for our site that allows pick up and delivery.

Pros:

Ease of use, quick payment turn around, helpful support and integration with other software are just a few of the pros.

Cons:

There was a recent rate increase that initially concerned me but I was able to find a satisfactory rate by working with my Square Account Manager.

Debbie
Owner-Teacher in US
Music, Self Employed

I’m a Piano Teacher, Not an Accountant

Comments: I’ve been with Square for several years, since I started teaching piano as more of a full-time profession instead of a side hobby, and overall, I’m VERY happy with them! I’m not an accountant, nor do I want to spend lots of time on the admin/financial side of my business; Square has just enough customization options and report capabilities to keep this Creative happy. I know there are cheaper payment processors out there, but I really enjoy the ease of use that Square provides along with the brand recognizability.

Pros:

Recurring billing and automatic reminders, all the way!! Saves me so much time & energy in sending out invoices each month to my 30+ piano families. I’m not sure why I used to dread sending out invoices each month, as it means I’ll get paid. But I very much dreaded it, and would drag my feet in sending invoices. With automatic recurring billing, I set it up once (very simple to do) and I don’t have to think about it again, until I get the email confirmation that all the invoices have gone out. Then I think about it again when I’m notified that the invoices have been paid (the best!;).

Cons:

I SO wish I could set up and send invoices in bulk...just create a template, enter a list of email addresses, and hit send. It’s not at all difficult to create and send invoices, just a little time consuming on the front end when each one has to be set up individually.

Jarvis
Jarvis
CEO/Founder in US
Consumer Services, Self Employed

The Perfect Payment Processing Option for Small Business

Comments: My overall experience is A++ since I am able to accept and process payment at a fraction of the cost and without costing me more time and effort.

Pros:

Using this software for a couple of years now I really like the ease of use and how it's transferable between all my devices. I am able to access reports, process payments, and more from the mobile dashboard or my PC. It doesn't require that I have or use any additional products or equipment for function. They have very friendly and knowledgable customer service and support. I love that you are able to integrate Square into other systems for a more robust system.

Cons:

I wasn't able to really pin point anything that I didn't like or enjoy regarding the software.

Internet Marketing in US
Media Production, 2-10 Employees

So Easy to Implement, I was Done Before I Knew It

Comments: We needed a payment form on our website to accept payments. We didn't want to have to build our own "shopping cart" for this and square payments was a great option to skip that and begin accepting payments quickly.

Pros:

I needed to accept payments on my website and I tried using a different program, but the issues seemed almost impossible to overcome, as I am not an experienced website form developer. I easily and quickly had square payments set up on my website and I have never had a single issue accepting payments.

Cons:

I have nothing negative to say currently about this product. I had a horrible experience before implementing square payments, so I find this product to be great. I guess I could ask for lower fees, however, they are not all that high, to begin with.

Daniel
OWNER / SALES in US
Insurance Software, Self Employed

Great Program, Great functional devises and Inexpensive

Comments: The money I have charged is placed in my account very quickly, and I get my receipt and a report after payment is received. Very awesome tracking system that I utilize for taxes.

Pros:

#1 Pro, Inexpensive, besides paying for the devices, $10 for the plugin square, $50 for the wireless multi-capable card insert device, which is less than what Merchant services charges you to rent their device monthly or purchase the fees are the same as any and every credit card fee. that is my only expense after the devices are purchased. In addition you download the app to your phone and you don't even need the device, you will lose 1% more but that is still inexpensive.

Cons:

to be honest I do not have any real concerns, the only think that crosses my mind is, what happens if i lose the wireless device, does it save any info on it that can be hacked.

Brent
Analyst in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees

PRICELESS for any business anywhere!

Comments: Flexibility, convenience, portability and reliability. These are absolute REQUIREMENTS for a payment processing system for our non-profit to function properly and raise fund and receive funds in a timely manner in a very wide ranging field of environments that we may end up. If business is war, then Square Payments is the military grade equipment a business needs to get the job done in adaptive environments far away from home!

Pros:

The ease of use is amazing. Einstein said simplicity is genius, or something to that affect. And Square is genius!!!! We are always on the move doing appearances at farmers markets, trade shows, conventions, dance competitions, and in-house seminars and workshops. We sell books, apparel, shoes, donated equipment and furniture, etc. to raise funds. We COUNT ON our Square payment system to work in the field, or at our facility, or in the airport, or 2,000 miles away from home at a convention. And it works EVERYTIME without fail. I honestly cannot recall a single issue we've had with the system and the card scanner and the receipt systems!

Cons:

There can be a tendency to have to swipe a card thru the reader a couple times if you don't take your time and do a smooth level swipe. But that's probably more user error than anything else. I can only recall maybe once or twice in YEARS of using Square where we had an extended issue with a card not scanning, and it was always due to a damaged old card with a damaged strip on the back.

Karen
Ownwr in US
Retail, 2-10 Employees

Square Payments Has Huge Productivty Advantage

Comments: Think fees for things for each transactions and reinstate payments over time option

Pros:

Love how easy it was to set up and begin to use to collect customer monwy for Services and Products.

Cons:

Do not like swipe Rates vs key in Rates per transaction. Do not like cost of accessories, do not like small print on Smartphone Display

Scott
Scott
Independent Contractor in US
Entertainment, Self Employed

Square is the independent contractors gold standard for payment processing

Comments: Square is great. My customers have the option to pay with a credit card, and even understand that I will upcharge them the transaction fee. With some computer skills, you can make an online store work from your own site, or using one of their templates if you don't care how it looks. Bottom line is that Square gets the job done that needs to be done.

Pros:

Setting up Square to accept payments through a device like an Ipad, phone, or laptop, through either swiping or manually entering information, is as easy as it gets. Highest marks for virtual terminal and checkout links, as well as snapshots of important information such as how much is the average a visitor spends, and how much is taken in for a given day. Best of all, payments to your account are very quick, with a fantastic option for instant transfer.

Cons:

Hands down, the awful thing about Square, and the thing that could use the most improvement is the Online Store. It looks awful, isn't easy to customize, and takes a bit of knowhow to even get your product or event listed. I've used this for years and keep waiting for Square to make this something that has as much quality as the rest of their service. It doesn't look like they are interested. Also, merchant services through banks charge fees that the average small business owner can't justify.

Jason
Retail, 2-10 Employees

I love using square

Comments: We will continue to use square payments to process our sales.

Pros:

It is very easy to use and not to expensive for processing fees.

Cons:

I wish that the reader connected easier to the software sometimes.

Jyoti
Owner in UK
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Great Option for Small Businesses

Comments: Square Payments Processing has been great for my business. The majority of clients prefer to pay by credit or debit card and most have used Square at some point so are already familiar with it.

Pros:

I really like that I can sell eGiftcards through the Square software so my clients can purchase via a link from my website without having to contact me. Also, that Square is compatible and completely integrated with my booking software (MassageBook).

Cons:

The recent change in fees has been a bit confusing. I don't think overall there has been much of a change in what I'm paying, but I have had to pay more attention to the fee part of the transaction as it is no longer as straightforward as it previously was.

Hannah
Clerical Assistant in US
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees

Square will likely become the universal POS app

Comments: I really love square! I would recommend this to any business owner who wants to track their sales better and make improvements based upon those results.

Pros:

I LOVE square! I have been I user of this software for 3 or 4 years now at two different jobs and it has so many capabilities. I used this at a paddleboard shop and it did the trick but had way more capabilities than the business really needed. However, at the restaurant I worked at, this was everything we needed. It accepts all forms of payment (apple pay, google pay, android pay, tap-to-pay credit cards, all credit card brands if you choose, cash). The system for rining customers up takes a little while to get but after you do it is a breeze. This software is also very customizable. You can show products in a list, group them, add pictures to them, organize them how you want etc. By far the MOST thing in this system is the analytics/data piece. You can see how many of each product were sold in any particular time period, how that compares to other days/weeks, the best selling items...possibilities are endless.

Cons:

I really don't have much to complain about with this. I've had problems with the chip reader connecting in many cases, and you also have to make sure to have very reliable wifi or else the product will not process payments.