15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Document Locator

Powerful document control software ideal for centralized control of ISO and related quality program files.

Learn more about Document Locator

Pros:

Cons:

As the software is so powerful it requires a decent amount of training to become proficient. Also the inability to link to the folders in the software is inconvenient at times.

Document Locator ratings

4.4
4.8
4.4
4.5

9.1/10

Document Locator has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 35 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Document Locator before?

Lyllcelsius
Lyllcelsius
System Administrator in US
Utilities, 51–200 Employees

Excellent and fabulous

Comments: It is cost effective, mobility oriented, and adds to data management

Pros:

The application is user friendly and as well being adaptive to users. It is an application that is handy and challenging to learn as an administrator

Cons:

I have not really find any cons applicable to me as a user and an administrator. Except on the web tools, users that have folder permission on the repository, are not able to see it on the web.

Sylvia
Zoning Officer and Code Enforcement Officer in US
Government Administration, 11–50 Employees

Highly recommend. Great software

Comments: Our experience with Document Locator has been great. We have no regrets. The Team at Document Locator was extremely helpful in working with the migration of our data from our previous software vendor. They went over and beyond to make sure we received not only all of our documents, but the meta data that was attached. The Team customized our platform to meet our needs. The Trainers were patient and detail oriented. The software is easy to use, intuitive, and reliable. Document Locator has improved our efficiency in our daily duties.

Pros:

We use Document Locator all day every day. The software is easy to use, intuitive, and reliable. The Team at Document Locator was extremely helpful in working with the migration of our data from our previous software vendor who was not helpful. Each time we have received training, it has been informative, clear, and concise. Folder Structures and Profiles are great tools to allow us to work efficiently with consistency across departments. We have experienced no downtime. Document Locator has improved our efficiency in our daily duties.

Cons:

Emails are automatically named which is great. However, we would love to be able to reorder the auto-naming to be specific to us. We heavily rely on the search feature or breadcrumbs. However, we have to manually navigate to the file to save the document in when "printing to Document Locator". The breadcrumbs or search features are not available in the "print to" function.

Alternatives Considered: DocuWare , Laserfiche , FileCenter and Docufree

Reasons for Choosing Document Locator: Rubex had many bugs in the software, customer support was not helpful or responsive, the account manager was not responsive.

Switched From: Revver

Reasons for Switching to Document Locator: The software was intuitive to use and manage, it contained all the features we desired such as setting file permissions, folder structures, profiles. It is easy to use. The

Alan
CEO in India
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Outlook integration is great for emails

Pros:

I used document locator with 1 of my previous job and started using it since then for personal use. The best feature we like about Document locator is the email management using my favorite software "outlook". It helps with a number of other features including PDF conversion, Document preview etc.

Cons:

The interface is little bit sloppy and need to be worked upon.

Edward
Lead Business Systems Analyst in US

Implemented in Engineering, HR, Finance and IT departments in three companies 2 small, 1 large.

Comments: Very happy customers. Great pricing. Great support. Integration with forms tool (Perfect Forms). Integration with custom .NET software used to accelerate IT Architecture development. Integration with secure HR systems to manage employee hiring and on-boarding. Ease of use finding Engineering documents.

Pros:

Document uses SQL Server as storage for documents instead of a file-share. This provides the ability to encrypt data while stored and retrieve on the desktop without un-encrypting. Thus making it very easy to use for handling sensitive HR and Finance records. Document Locator includes standard and custom workflows that include forms which are routed for approval in a variety of ways. As an engineering tool, Document Locator make SharePoint look like an old-fashioned file server with its ability to add meta-data to each document. Document Locator has a vibrant web interface but also includes access via the desktop app.

Cons:

Not much. I have done many document management studies and Document Locator exceeds all the others for my list of requirements. Perhaps some of the icons used on the client could be modernized.

Keith
SQL Server DBA
Public Policy, 51–200 Employees

Excellent Customer Support

Comments: Customer representatives have a great relationship with the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin which makes to the support for this product great. Once again a product is only as good as its support team.

Pros:

A software product is only as good as the support you can get from the product. This last weekend I was upgrading the Document Locator backend database from SQL Server 2014 to SQL Server 2016 SP1. I called Columbiasoft to let them know during the week what I was doing. In return, they emailed me steps to take when migrating to a new SQL Server failover cluster and gave me instructions on what to do if I ran into issues. I did not expect to run into issues but did on Saturday and sent Columbiasoft an email. The turn around to a reply was sooner than I expected. Rep walked me through some standard checks. The main correction we made was changing the DLRepcatalog database owner to cssadmin. The best news is I still left before 1:00 pm on Saturday giving me enough time to buy my 2010 Ford F-150 to start the camping season.

Cons:

This is a hard one in that this product matches our business requirements. That said we use a lot of custom action steps and there are times I wish the documentation on customer action steps would be easier to understand.

Samantha
Independent contractor in US
Hospital & Health Care, 2–10 Employees

Life's more simple

Pros:

It is easy to use even for the beginner, not at all difficult and makes life more simple for me in my daily life when it comes to work management. I definitely recommend it to anyone that likes to save time but have organization as well. Definitely saves time rather than trying to do everything manually. I have found that my work life is more organized than before I started using this program....

Cons:

There's nothing really to dislike unless you like unorganized chaos when trying to locate files folders and documents, if that's you then this program is not for you because this program is the complete opposite and is a life saver in my opinion. So as far as finding anything I dislike, there's isn't anything that I find that I dislike about this program. Again I recommend this to anyone who works in an office type setting especially.

Louis
Lead Purchase / Sales in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Document Locator offers a self contained convenient and efficient solution which allows our team remote and instant access to company files and data .

Comments: Document Locator software works beautifully and seamlessly with Microsoft Office and Browsers while allowing us to configure specific rights per user
to the most sensitive company information which often will requires remote access in the field under pressure situations .

Pros:

We found Document Locator or DL as it is otherwise known to be consistently reliable offering the ability to to send links which can be controlled offering specific file access to users. DL additionally offers a nice system to organize files so once connected users can find those intended files. DL's customer service support is first rate offering timely and high quality support.

Cons:

We are extremely pleased with Document locator however there were was an issue that we encountered. The supplied user interface was some what clumsy as key commands were less intuitive to locate and use. This is a common occurrence though with file acquisition programs.

Alberto
sales support in Italy
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

Very easy document manager

Pros:

Document Locator is a versatile and user-friendly application, providing adaptive features for seamless document management. Its integration with Outlook simplifies email management, while offering convenient functions like PDF conversion and document preview. With a great API and easy administration, users require minimal training. The exceptional support promptly addresses queries, even the simplest ones. This product excels in staying up-to-date and ensures a smooth implementation, backed by fantastic customer and tech support.

Cons:

Document Locator is a powerful software that requires extensive training, but the inability to link folders can be inconvenient. While telecommuting, it occasionally experiences slowdowns and glitches. Limited to Windows, the web version lacks features, eagerly awaiting the next update.

Rebecca
Document Control in US
Oil & Energy, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Over all a good system. Ability to customize is hands down. Support team is EXCELLENT.

Comments: Having both a flat view with metadata and the actual file in one spot.

Pros:

The webtool is very easy to use, which is the part most of my team uses. I love that I am able to customize the system to my company's needs, there are very few limitations to the customization. I like the ability to get a spreadsheet report out of any folder and it includes the headers.

Cons:

The bulk loading is great for first time in documentation, but if you have updated versions in bulk to existing documents - the bulk load feature is useless. I work in engineering and we typically receive documentation in bulk and several versions over the life of a project. If the bulk load feature would actually version the documents this would be life saving.

Millie
Senior Operations Administrator in US
Civil Engineering, 51–200 Employees

DL Review for RIZZO

Pros:

I like that you can go back and find older versions of documents. For us that is the most important feature.

Cons:

I dislike how outdated it appears at times.

Scott
Manager IT in US
Real Estate, 201–500 Employees

Best document management out there!

Comments: I’ve been administering my company’s Document Locator system for 8+ years. Never have I come up with a problem they couldn’t solve. I had 8 different document management systems in my company, and picked this over all the ones I already owned. Never regretted it even one day.

Pros:

Not only does Document Locator works seamlessly inside windows, it has a great API and is very easy to administer. Users generally don’t require more than about 15 minutes of training. Support always answers questions within an hour or so, and the help cheerfully even with “dumb” questions.

Cons:

Training is only offered a few times a year, and mostly in Oregon, though they will send an instructor onsite if you need.

Patrick
Information Systems in US
Medical Devices, 1,001–5,000 Employees

ColumbiaSoft1

Pros:

The indexing or searching for files is really nice and fast.

Cons:

Initial setup is a pain when creating workflows or repository setups and security.

ColumbiaSoft Response

6 years ago

Thanks for your feedback and support, Patrick. Apologies that your setup was a bit of a challenge. Our Services and Training teams have been informed ¿ they take new customer set up very seriously and want to make sure customers are up and running quickly. Your account manager will be reaching out to see if there anything we can do with implementation or training to make it right.

Keith
Senior Enterprise Application Architect in US

Document Locator has been one of the easiest and seamless Doc Mgmt systems I have worked with

Comments: Versioning and the ability to publish external links usable from other applications

Pros:

Flexibility. Its easy to configure to suite almost any need we have. And the way it seamlessly integrates with the Windows environment is outstanding for our users

Cons:

I really see no weaknesses to speak of. Every scenario that I have thrown at it it has easily handled. And the few items that I originally though of as downfalls where simply my lack of knowledge.

Debbie
Document Control Manager in US

DL software is very user friendly

Pros:

I like the ability to offer individuals the rights and permissions to do their job efficiently. The search capabilities are robust. I like to the flexibility that this product offers.

Cons:

I would like to see more functionality added based on project management. As a recent grad of CMII practices, I would like to see some functionality added to this product based on the principles established in Configuration Management.

Peter
General Manager in France
Wholesale, 11–50 Employees

I don't waste time looking for documents.

Comments: Overall I like a product. It keeps documents organized and easy to access.

Pros:

Having all the documents together makes the job very practical. When I need it, I don't think about which document is where, I don't waste time, I like to have all of them at hand.

Cons:

Documents are slow to load, especially if they are large, it takes a lot of time.

Michele
Sr. System Analyst/Supervisor in US
Hospital & Health Care, 501–1,000 Employees

Document Locator is a great product for Document Management

Comments: The benefits allowed our organization to proceed to a paperless environment easily.

Pros:

The Document Locator product stays up with technology and is simple to implement and utilize. Best of all their Customer and Tech support is fabulous.

Cons:

Reporting is somewhat lacking but since the database has a SQL back end it gives the user the ability to create reports on their own.

Manager in US

Reliable and does the job.

Pros:

Reliability and ease of use

Cons:

OCR in the Scan Console is not great. Tedious to create/replicate repositories. Not compatible with iOS. No app available for use on ipads/iphones

ColumbiaSoft Response

6 years ago

John, thank you for your feedback. We would like to reach out and learn more about the OCR concerns, and help fine tune this so it works better for you.

Danielle
Project Administrator in Canada
Oil & Energy, 51–200 Employees

Comprehensive document management software suitable for engineering

Comments: Overall has been a great software that has improved our document control process and improved our internal efficiency

Pros:

This software has many features that allow for organized and detailed document management. The search function in the software is incredibly powerful and even allows for searching for content in documents. Bulk uploads allowed for an easier transition when the software was implemented.

Omarie
Marketing Specialist in US
, 2–10 Employees

Save on Paper and Save Trees!

Pros:

This helped us flip into a paperless office (except for patient charts and promo). We can easily scan, filter documents, find reports, and more! Life-saver forsure.

Cons:

When I'm telecommuting and using a remote control software for the computer the software sometimes runs slow or is glitchy.

Chief Information Officer in US
, 51–200 Employees

Highly customizable DMS

Comments: Highly customizable document management system. Integrated into Windows OS for seamless end user experience. Best customer support in the industry.

Nicole
Project Coordinator in India
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Great reports with Document locator

Pros:

Easy to use tool with good reporting options. Reports can be filtered to get custom data. It also has the option to see usage metrics. Notifications can be scheduled for missed tasks. It helps users to review the assigned documents.

Cons:

Functionality can be defined specific to the users. If there would be a super admin role which can assign various modules based on user type, it will help to only see required screens.

Cheryl
COO in US
Hospital & Health Care, 501–1,000 Employees

DL - makes like easier

Comments: Document Locator's Windows integration makes the system particularly easy to use. I also like the fact that we can access our files online in a browser and on our mobile phones. It super easy to find any file we are looking for because everything is searchable. The support team is very helpful. They always answer the phone whenever we have a question or need help.

Pros:

Searchable files, Simple access, Customer support

Cons:

changing user passwords

Helena
Director in US
Financial Services Software, 51–200 Employees

Customized document management & work flow

Pros:

We could customize the software to give us exactly what we needed. We have a complicated hierachy of supervision and the system allowed us the flexiblity tocontrol our document management as required.

Cons:

It can only be used in a Windows environment. The web version is lacking features so we are looking forward to the next version.

Austin
IT Consultant in India
Computer Software

Mobile access helps managing docs while travelling!

Pros:

The best feature about Document locator is Drag and Drop from other applications. Drag and Drop makes it really easy for people who want to work quickly. Mobile access helps me managing docs from anywhere even when I am travelling. Good application to help out!

Cons:

I would like the docs to be integrated with third party CRM like Pipedrive. It will help managing all docs from a single locations and I would not need to keep multiple copies.

Higher Education Software

Great tool to remove redundancy and track documents

Pros:

The version control is fantastic. I love that I can keep one document as a source for everything else to refer to. I no longer have to wonder which version is the "Current" version.

Cons:

The reporting piece is a real struggle. I would like to have a more user-friendly option. It would be great if I could build a report on the fly with a few fields from a pick-list.