About Jamf Pro

A complete Mobile Device Management solution for IT pros to simplify the deployment, inventory, and security of Apple devices.

Learn more about Jamf Pro

Pros:

Decent reporting and auditability. Haven't investigated reporting/metrics with 3rd party solutions but simple reachs indicates this is possible or being worked on.

Cons:

The Jumpstart fee for macOS management is often a burden that small, independent schools cannot afford.

Jamf Pro ratings

4.4
4.7
4.6
4.4

9.1/10

Jamf Pro has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 498 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Jamf Pro before?

Doug
Director of Technology in US
Publishing, 51-200 Employees

If you use Macs in your organization Jamf Pro is the right tool

Comments: Our staff have limited computer skills and often get themselves in trouble (phishing, malware, etc). Jamf Pro allows us to protect them from their mistakes. We do not give Admin access but do provide most software they might want in Self Service. We can also take care of the updates and installs for them so they just use what they need.

Pros:

The way it integrates with Apple systems like DEP and VPP make it a truly unique product. Apple has created a secure "walled garden" for their hardware. Jamf is the only tool of its kind that has access into this walled garden. Being able to buy a Mac from our custom Apple store, ship it to a user, and have them set it up with Jamf...all without IT ever needing to touch the device...is amazing. It can do just about anything else you need it to: install software, block software, update software, set security settins, remote lock, remote wipe, notify users of important events, and of course much more through Self Service.

Cons:

It is a very robust tool, but you need to know how to use it. Many of the best features you do need to set up and build out. That can require some scripting or other technical details, or some administrative steps to work out with Apple and your local business representative. However, it is all very possible and you will get there.

System Engineer in US
Education Management, 51-200 Employees

Best Apple device management platform in existance

Comments: While no company is perfect, JAMF has really gone out of their way to take care of us as both customers and admins. I'm in education so they're not making any money off is (given the high level of support everyone receives). There are no tiers of service, no packages for support, and no BS. You will be treated and supported very well. JAMFs training options are also the best I've ever attended. I have yet to try the virtual trainings though.

Pros:

Day 1 support of all Apple releases, full roadmap compatibility with Apple, and dedication to the integration of Apple products at the enterprise level. It has allowed me the flexibility and capacity to provide a truly world class user experience without the world class investment and effort.

Cons:

It certainly could have better remote support features. It HAS remote support, but really only on the local network. Mind you, I don't really need additional remote support capacity, but it would be nice.

Jason
Mac/iOS Jamf Pro Administrator in US
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Jamf is a growing company with a great product and amazing support, really listen to customers!

Comments: I could not do my job without this software. We are very limited in staff, time and money. Without Jamf Pro, we would not be able to effectively manage the fleet of iPads, MacBooks, iMacs and Apple TVs we have.

Pros:

Jamf is a growing company with a great product and amazing support, really listens to customers! Pros: Jamf has been doing this the longest when it comes to Mac and iOS device management. They are a relatively small, yet growing company with Midwest values, that really cares about helping organizations succeed with Apple. They stand behind their product and their support is phenomenal! They are passionate about giving back to the communities they are based in (Chippewa Valley, Minneapolis, and offices around the world). They put on the worlds largest user conference for Apple IT admins and they have the largest user help knowledge base, jamfnation.com. They also provide same day or prior support of major OS and iOS releases. They are constantly refining the product and adding new features to it. If you have an issue, Jamf support will bend over backwards to help you, even if you're not a paying customer. They care that much about you and the product. Also, the soon to be released version 10 will bring many needed changes to the UI.

Cons:

Jamf Pro is not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. For instance it allows me to manage 6k+ iPads and over 2200 Macs, iMacs and Apple TVs with a very small staff. The money we pay for the solution is more than made up in the ability to manage all of these devices successfully and with a limited staff. That being said, like all software, Jamf Pro has issues. Sometimes these can be major issues. However, Jamf is quick to throw dedicated support at these issues and works hard to fix them. As mentioned above, they are growing for sure and there will be some growing pains along with this growth. The update to the UI cannot come fast enough. Would like to actually be able to pull usable metrics and reports from the product. The logging errors could use more of an update or hotlinks to resolutions (feature request maybe?), but this is more for on-prem hosting. Overall though, it's a great product with a great company and team behind it!

Donna
Technology Coordinator in US
Education Management, 11-50 Employees

Jamf Pro & A Catholic Elementary School

Comments: Prior to beginning use of Jamf, I managed our student iPads via Apple Configurator. The process was painstaking, frustrating, time consuming and often, unsuccessful requiring many calls to Apple Help. Students and teachers were inconvenienced and lost valuable educational time waiting for devices to update. Jamf has streamlined our ability to dynamically update devices without needing to take them from students. During recent distance learning, I was able to reliably push out new apps to students from my home. Despite having only a modest understanding of technology, I am able to complete most Jamf management activities without Help desk assistance.

Pros:

Jamf Pro enables us to setup student devices to conform to our educational needs and to help assure students have a safe, reliable, relatable experience using iPad technology. Once your initial setup is complete, making changes is relatively easy, even for someone with a very modest technical background. When JAMF help is needed, it is readily available and reliably correct.

Cons:

My biggest "complaint" is that when setting up classes it is necessary to individually add or delete students from each class. It takes a lot of time each summer to update all the classes.

Steven
Systems Administrator - Educational Technology in US
Higher Education Software, 501-1,000 Employees

JAMF PRO - You cannot manage mac's effectively any other way.

Comments: Through JAMF Pro we are utilizing zero touch deployment, cross domain authentication to our fleet through Nomad Login (JAMF Connect), deployment of applications to our iOS devices utilizing Apple VPP and its integration with the JAMF Pro platform. We are able to easily manage the deployment of patches using Patch Management and more. There is no better way to manage a mac outside of JAMF.

Pros:

As a user of JAMF PRO since the days when it was called Casper, I can safely say that this product is a constant evolution of itself and as it pertains to Apple hardware, software, admin and user needs. Considering the product is on a zero day release schedule always means we are ready to manage devices and workstations upon the latest release of an OS build. It has allowed use to customize our deployment packages, settings and enrollment styles. Having the ability for zero touch enrollment and deployment of systems is without a doubt the most influential feature of our JAMF Pro installation. Getting machines up and ready is a breeze with JAMF Pro, long term management is even easier.

Cons:

JAMF rarely has anything we dislike. Over the years their menus have evolved for the better. The user interface has improved drastically. i would say as they grow, to continue to keep the product suite obtainable by educational users. Products which havent recently released such as Jamf Protect are a bit cost prohibitive, it would be nice if they were bundled into the Jamf Pro suite.

Andrey
Senior IT Specialist in US
Higher Education Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Gold Standard for Apple MDM

Pros:

Jamf Pro allows my team to manage our fleet for macOS, iPadOS, and iOS devices effectively. It builds on the groundwork laid by Apple, but executes it in a much more useful manner. The tool allows our users to be self-sufficient when it comes to application updates and installations because we are able to present a SelfService application with IT-approved and packaged software. We're able to use JamfPro to conduct audits on logged on users and time frames whe necessary. Enrolling new devices is seamless when paired with Apple School Manager (education) or Apple Business Manager (enterprise) and the Device Enrollment Program (DEP). Cloud hosted is the way to go with any MDM, allowing devices to reach out to the server anywhere from the Internet.

Cons:

The amount of work to deploy and make the product useful is a bit overwhelming. The company is constantly in a process of moving from their legacy Casper platform to the newer JamfPro platform, all while acquiring new components and rebranding them (JamfNow). Applications that were used to interact with the server are being retired, but not all at the same time, so there is a bit of confusion here. Also, I wish there was an easier and less time-consuming way of standing this up, as well as some pre-built tools.

Mike
IT Specialist Helpdesk in US
Government Administration, 501-1,000 Employees

Pretty good management system for Macs. Don't even consider LANDesk.

Comments: Because it is a MDM solution that actually works, with reliable uptime and easy maintenance requirements, I am the hero for having pushed for JAMFPro.

Pros:

Fairly easy to figure out what it takes to make it work if you are of average intelligence for this sort of thing. In my case, it was difficult, until I figured it out. Patch management was the priority for us and it turns you have to be a little creative in trying to get the information extracted from the Macs (depending on the application) in order to determine if it needs to be patched. In another words, it's not as turnkey as much as I was led to believe. Support at JAMFNation is fantastic. Those folks have tackled most of the problems and that's where I located the scripts and other nuances required to make it work. No other resource like it. Newbies and super rockstars all contribute to make things work. JAMF staff also helpful. Make sure you contribute too!

Cons:

For me personally, the required Jumpstart training you need to purchase didn't work so well. Did not know enough about what I was doing to ask intelligent questions. After the training, fighting the learning curve began. There are no step-by-step procedures (or friendly user manual) to help a newbie get the system up and running. Mind you I say this as a complete novice and not a very smart one at that.

Eddie
Technology Specialist/IT in US
Education Management, 201-500 Employees

Jamf Pro Use In To Manage School Devices

Comments: One big aspect of JAMF that we love and it is not software related, is their Tech Customer Service.
Over the last 6 or 7 years, we have never had a bad call with JAMF's customer service.
Every time we call their support or chat with them, we receive exceptional support.
Even if we have a big problem, they stay on top of it and follow up until it is resolved.

Pros:

The ease of use for users to have the ability to update or install software, at the click of the button. We love using Self Service, this allows us to install or update software and drivers without the user needing to bring the device to us. Jamf Pro also gives us control of what gets installed on devices and what settings get pushed automatically. You have the ability to create groups of devices and get as granular as you want with groups.

Cons:

Not really a "Con", but it would be great if the reporting was a little bit easier to get. You can download several different reports, but I think JAMF still has room for improving their reporting.

Jonathanwilson
Service Desk Manager in US
Higher Education Software, 201-500 Employees

Jamf @ UCLA Library

Comments: Our Macs were largely unmanaged before Jamf, and now we have a good handle on everything and are able to provide a level of support that was impossible before. It's allowed us to not worry (as much) about what device people choose to use for work.
It's also allowed flexibility when purchasing new devices for different purposes. If it's made by Apple, we know we can handle it.

Pros:

The completeness of features - just about anything you can do with an Apple device, you can do with Jamf. I don't have to worry about not being able to do something, including on the day new software is released.

Cons:

The learning curve is high - I would be struggling if I hadn't taken the Jamf training courses (200 and 300). I struggle to explain concepts to employees that haven't taken the training, even when they've taken the Jamf 100. Sort of related is the support for legacy features/systems - it can be hard to tell what is relevant, such as when you type 'sudo jamf help' - there is a lot there that you'd never use.

Arthur
Mac Admin in US
Government Administration, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Best in Class

Comments: Excellent IT tools. The community Jamf have created around their products is second to none. Jamf Pro has helped my career immensely.

Pros:

Jamf Pro is far and away the best product I have used to manage Apple computers in an enterprise environment. Its easy to use, the learning curve is short. Jamf Pro is reliable and powerful. There's a reason it has become the industry standard for Apple device management. Support from Jamf and from the Jamf Nation community is second to none. I know if I have a problem I can turn to Jamf Support or Jamf Nation for help finding a solution.

Cons:

I would like to see a more customizable, dynamic GUI. I would like to be able to dynamically drag around items in the Dashboard. Clicking on items to remove them from view in the Dashboard would also be very helpful for cleanup and organization. I would also like to see better effort in improving Patch Management.

Alan
Desktop Support Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great Mac management software

Comments: Overall the experience has been extremely positive and I would definitely recommend Jamf, they are the best in the business. My only negative would be that they sometimes seem more interested in implementing new features than addressing known issues.

Pros:

Jamf Pro is a very powerful tool with a rich feature set. There is a learning curve but the training available is excellent, providing you are in a region it is available. We manage a global fleet of Macs and use a hosted cloud instance which allows us to install software, perform updates and just generally manage our Macs no matter where our users are. The Self Service app gives our users the ability to install software when it suits them or run fixes to known issues without having to contact IT.

Cons:

Support can be a bit slow at times, as we have a hosted instance when we call support we are often told we have to wait for someone from the cloud team to take a look and get back to us. Also since updating to v10 we have had performance issues because of a product issue which could be resolved by throwing more resources at the server but as we do not host it we do not have the control to do that. Apparently the problem has been addressed in the next release.

PowerSchool Administrator in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 Employees

Solid iPad and Mac OS management platform

Comments: We are using Jamf to deploy iPads user and device-based in a school setting. While, it can be tricky keeping those two deployments separated, the platform makes it easy and intuitive with the layout.

Pros:

Jamf is a solid platform with an intuitive interface for managing your Mac and iOS devices. We use it for device and user-based app implementation and it is a smooth roll-out every time. They have a great support team to ensure that your Jamf instance is what you need it to be for your environment. The JNUC, user conference, is also a blast to attend.

Cons:

What I have found is occasionally, there is an issue we will find that has no solution, or we change what we are doing in a way that it becomes a non-issue before it gets solved. There have been 4 occasions in 9 years. 2 went away as mysteriously as they came. 1 became a non-issue when we changed our workflow. The last one I am still working through, which is where the wonderful support people come in.

Nolan
Desktop Engineer in US
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Feature rich MDM with excellent support

Comments: We're happy with Jamf Pro because we feel confident that we can manage our fleet of machines with more reliability and take advantage of additional features offered by this MDM. We are using Jamf Pro Cloud and the upgrades are automatic. We have cut support time and cost in half due to not having to constantly upgrade and maintain an on-prem solution.

Pros:

Jamf Pro delivers software, configurations, and restrictions with accuracy and reliability.

Cons:

There are some counter-intuitive processes that might seem redundant or additional steps. Jamf Pro has many features and many ways to configure delivery.

Alternatives Considered: Cisco Meraki, Mosyle Business and Workspace ONE

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro: We moved to Jamf Pro to take advantage of the reliability of the industry standard for Apple. The issues with our previous MDM kept adding up and we were troubleshooting MDM issues on a monthly basis. Our hope is that Jamf Pro proves reliable for years to come.

Reasons for Switching to Jamf Pro: We chose Jamf Pro as our platform because of the balance of features and cost that outweighed the others. Jamf's reputation also had a lot to do with our decision.

Craig
Senior Infrastructure Engineer in US

Good Product, Good Experience

Comments: The ability to manage a fleet of MacOS and iOS devices.

Pros:

Jamf Pro works really well for managing a fleet of MacOS and iOS devices. The management console is easy to navigate and the feature set is clear. The ability to segregate administrators by using Sites is a nice feature for us. Integration with Apple's services is quite good and easy to maintain. We split our infrastructure across multiple hosts (database on one machine, a management point is on one host, the managed devices on another) is key for us. Also nice that the infrastructure runs on multiple OSes, we run ours on RHEL.

Cons:

The issue was related to communication and to bug checking during an update. One update broke access to Active Directory based security groups. This broke many of our workflows for distributed administrators. Customer support was good for initial triage, but follow-up communication was poor. The issue was fixed in two later updates but we were not told that the issue was fixed. We thought it had been fixed but we had to call Jamf and explicitly ask for confirmation. Would have been nice if Jamf had proactively followed up on a support case to let us know the problem was resolved.

Adam
Systems Engineer II in US
Philanthropy, 201-500 Employees

Great MDM with lots of feature, but you have to hunt for a lot of it in JAMF Nation

Comments: Overall, I enjoy JAMF and am very familiar with it and taught myself how to manage the macOS environment because JAMF has many great features

Pros:

Basic functionality works great and has many powerful features

Cons:

Many things that JAMF can do can only be done due to fellow JAMF admins providing scripts they have created themselves within JAMF Nation (which is an open source free blog site that JAMF manages). It is great but it is also sometimes a bit frustrating to have to dig into how to do this and that and that it is not just built in somehow.

Alternatives Considered: Kandji

Reasons for Switching to Jamf Pro: JAMF was purchased before I started at my current role. I would have picked Kandji if it were around at the time.

Philip
IT MAnager, Endpoint Services in US
Higher Education Software, 5,001-10,000 Employees

World Class Product- Gold Standard for Mac Management

Comments: Extremely please with the product, the features, the support and the cost. I would definitely recommend to anyone who was planning to invest in a Mac management tool.

Pros:

When we were evaluating management tools for our environment, we quickly came to the conclusion that there was not a one size fits all solution. Once we realized that, every other institution we contacted asked if we had looked at Jamf yet. Once we started looking at the product, the ease of use, the feature set, and the features that allowed us to customize the end user experience, we knew that this was the only product we could use. Jamf customer support has been great from the initial install, transition to cloud, upgrades and general support questions.

Cons:

Local server upgrades. During the time we had our own on site server, we performed upgrade. Most of the time they went OK, but it was a complicated process with many pitfalls, and seemed, on some occasions, to require a fair amount of pure wizardry. This is was generated most of my support calls with Jamf.

Philip
Director, Client Device Engineering in US
Higher Education Software, 5,001-10,000 Employees

JAMF is Best of Breed for macOS Management

Comments: JAMF Pro has been great and enable us to do what we need to do every day. The landscape is constantly changing, and the knowledge that we have a tool like JAMF Pro at our disposal give us confidence that we can adapt to any change needed.

Pros:

It make management of macOS, iOS, and iPadOS easy and seamless. JAMF always has day 1 support of releases and adds features as needed.

Cons:

The new UI was made to make things better on mobile devices, which is was, but it made it a little more confusing on the compute browsers. Icons and text are always preferred over only icons.

Alternatives Considered: Workspace ONE and Intune HRMS

Reasons for Choosing Jamf Pro: Better support and standardization. Ease of use.

Mike
IT Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 1,001-5,000 Employees

A partner and software and training that gives my staff super powers.

Comments: We are able to secure, provision, manage and support Mac users 24/7 and around the globe with this tool. We estimate we save 15 technicians and 8 full time support engineers and can use that funding and time to take on projects the business needs rather than manually managing our infrastructure and application suite. This is a massive difference in ability and why I feel JAMF gives my staff super powers to do more with less and raise the quality of our support all the while.

Pros:

Jamf Pro is so powerful and simple and focused on letting us succeed, it's in a class of its own. We've been in production for 6 years with major staff turnover and this company has continued to support us despite many chances where we might have dropped the ball. Professional services, quality of the code and stability of the platform are major factors that have made it successful in our specific challenging environment.

Cons:

There is no downside we have faced. Release cycle is faster than we need, training and communications are above par for SAAS and functionality and value makes it a must renew each time we renew and re-evaluate MDM solutions.

Teddy
Infrastructure Specialist in Canada
Insurance Software, 51-200 Employees

One Stop Shop for Managing all Apple based Devices

Comments: Very satisfied. Coming from a 100% windows experience myself I wasn't sure what to expect, but the remote Jump Start option (paid for seperately) is worth the $ if you want to get started on time and properly. The only thing is come prepared with questions, as the jumpstart is more of a "This is what a Jamf admin would do" and not "Here let me set this up for you".
Otherwise this checks all the boxes from a compliance, security, and usability perspective and we are very happy to have replaced Intune with Jamf Pro for MacOS.

Pros:

1. The features are very robust, and development announcements are released very frequently 2. Some of the more straight forward features and policies are very easy to implement for even junior admins 3. Cloud based availability enables lean shops with no on-premise capabilities to get started 4. Custom scripting available for the more advanced admins 5. Decent reporting and auditability. Haven't investigated reporting/metrics with 3rd party solutions but simple reachs indicates this is possible or being worked on

Cons:

1. The UX is horrendous, and for someone that doesn't live and breathe the solution it becomes hard to find certain items when I need it 2. Flushing errors can be more intuitive, they did implement auto-rerun on failed policies just recently so hopefully that improves things

Andrew
IT Support in US
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

Best Management Software on the Market!

Pros:

This software allows you to manage several computers as well as iPads from it's friendly user interface. We've implemented it successfully in our schools (over 20 locations) and it is a tremendous help. We've been able to use this software to deploy programs and applications without having to hand install them on multiple computers/iPads..it's a HUGE time saver.

Cons:

There really isn't too much to not like about this software. Their support team is friendly/knowledgeable, they stand by their product, and it is easy to use.

Isaac
Directory of Technology in India

Best software for managing macs hands down

Comments: We’re managing and securing thousands of customer Macs with this software.

Pros:

Jams Pro always provides 0 day support, we use it to manage our customers fleets. At least 50 instances managing 20,000 devices total. They always provide the latest features from apple without any delay or wait like other MDM vendors.

Cons:

There are a number of legacy features or manual setup steps that can be confusing. Also some of the features assume Active Directory which isn’t alway common with most organizations.

Alternatives Considered: Cisco Meraki and FileWave

Reasons for Switching to Jamf Pro: Better mac support, hands down.

Technology Support & Training Specialist in US
Education Management, 201-500 Employees

JAMF puts the flow in device management workflows.

Comments: Jamf is an indispensable tool for device management. It puts the flow in the workflow and makes large scale deployments manageable by a small staff with various skill sets.

Pros:

Jamf provides me the ability to amplify my efforts of making task ready machines, where ever, and whenever needed.

Cons:

I'd like a GUI option to replicate the actual device screen so I can have teachers manage devices in real-time to maximize contact time.

Alternatives Considered: Cisco Meraki and FileWave

Reasons for Switching to Jamf Pro: Saw JAMF and was sold on its value. It was a love at first sight experience.

Mark
Rock Specialist in US
Religious Institutions, 201-500 Employees

Macs Managed

Comments: We have used this product for 5 years and have loved it. It allows us to focus on our people and not worry about Did that printer get installed? We know it is going to happen. We can automate a ton of stuff and not worry about it. We know it will work and we can manipulate thousands of computers in seconds in real time.

Pros:

It does everything that Apple lets them do. Save money and time by having less IT support staff and your staff feels like they have the power to manage themselves and not need to reach out to IT and feel frustrated when it takes too long to respond. The community is a huge plus as you can normally get hard questions answered by pros who are happy to help at no charge. Support is great as well. Things do break, but they are there to help.

Cons:

Cost is a factor as it is continuing to go up. It can be very complex and hard to understand some of the more useful features as there are a ton of hoops to jump through to get everything working and if something breaks it can take a while to figure it out.

Jax
Solutions Engineer in US

The best for Apple device management

Comments: It is the best out there for Apple MDMs. That said, the field is still pretty bad. Not all of the issues are with Jamf, as Apple has certainly bungled a few things, like Apple School Manager. But if you're committed to the Apple way of life, Jamf is absolutely the only way to go, and has certainly made things easier on me since we switched from a competitor.

Pros:

It does everything you need it to in terms of managing whatever you buy from Apple, with a focus on as much automation for mass deployment as possible. Since they focus on Apple, they have all the latest features available as soon as possible.

Cons:

When things break, they can break badly, and a lot of solutions involve running command line scripts and requesting service restarts from support, so if you aren't willing to dig into these sorts of things, it might be difficult for you when support gives you this type of solution. Also, their marketing can be very deceptive, with their analysis on costs phrased as to make apples-to-oranges comparisons and obfuscate their competition's benefits.

Susan
IT Analyst II in US
Higher Education Software, 501-1,000 Employees

Jamf Review

Comments: Jamf is everything I hoped it would be, and much, much more. I always highly recommend it to anyone who works with Macs.

Pros:

I love that Jamf handles everything Mac related from pre-stage deployment to pushing updates to reporting. Jamf has simplified everything that I do in my job & I rarely have to touch machines anymore. I love that we were able to implement a system to get machines from pre-stage to named, bound to AD & authenticated with 802.1x in a matter or 2 minutes, that is my absolute favorite thing as even doing it by manually I had issue - but I don't anymore.

Cons:

There is nothing I don't like, a couple of features I'd love to see implemented but Jamf continues to listen to their customers & update features all the time. We did have a bit of a time getting it to work in our environment with the restrictions on our network & the fact we cannot sync with LDAP, but we figured it out during training & it was no fault of Jamf.