15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Hotjar

The world's most popular heatmap software. Join one million other websites to get inspired, spot bugs, drive results with Hotjar.

Learn more about Hotjar

Pros:

It helped us a lot in the development of our Shopify store. Easy to integrate into our store.

Cons:

Nothing I can say, maybe one... they are costly when upgrade to the more premium plan.

Hotjar ratings

4.6

8.7/10

Hotjar has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 511 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Hotjar before?

Akande
Akande
Marketing Communications Specialist in US
Consumer Goods, 1,001–5,000 Employees

HotJar is an awesome tool for studying websites and optimizing!

Comments: Overall HotJar is a great platform and I am one of their biggest advocates. I would recommend HotJar to anyone looking to enhance their understanding of on-site traffic and conversion.

Pros:

At each company that I have worked for, I always bring up HotJar as a solution they should implement as soon as possible. It is so easy to use and allows for such a comprehensive view of the customer experience that it's a loss to NOT use it! I love that it can capture click data, scroll depth, and even user interactions on the website. There is so much valuable information to be pulled from the data!

Cons:

There are two things that I'm a little bummed out about with HotJar. One issue is that they recently removed cross-domain tracking. This was a great benefit and we used it often, so not having it is tough. They also have a limit on the height of the pages that can be captured, 1500px. Our pages are slightly larger so we lose some detail on the report that we would have otherwise had.

5 years ago

Hey Akande, Thanks so much for taking the time to review Hotjar! It's great to read that you're getting a lot of value from the tool :) It's indeed the case that we removed cross-domain tracking in light of our continued commitment to privacy-by-design. I'm sorry to hear that working with the tool is a bit tough without this - we'd like to help if we can! Do reach out to us at [email protected] if you've got questions. Following up your note on the height of captured pages for Heatmaps - we do have a 15000px limit, but if it's a pain point I'd definitely suggest using the Suggest a Feature function in-app to let us know what you need :) All best, Alex

Md. Tanvir Bin
IT officer in US
Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

The greatest resource for businesses conducting online transactions is Hotjar.

Comments: The SEO of websites is revolutionized by Hotjar. As if we had a hidden window into the brains of our guests. A wealth of information is available for comprehending user behavior through the live interviews, user comments, and visual insights. It is also quite easy to use.

Pros:

For individuals looking to increase revenue and maximize their conversion rate, this product is perfect. With Hotjar's features, teamwork will be easier and everyone on our team can gather the data required to make the right modifications to our website pages. They offer 24/7 support and customized training in the meantime to make sure I can get the most out of user behavior analysis on our website. Hotjar allows me to store data for a maximum of one year. If I want to know what's going on our website for an extended amount of time, this is a good alternative. One feature we've refined in FullSession is visitor recordings. In contrast to Hotjar, FullSession doesn't slow down our website aside from offering sophisticated filtering tools and comprehensive analytics.

Cons:

A few customers mentioned that they would have preferred a user behavioral analysis tool with greater depth. Predictive analytics, which could be useful in predicting user behavior, is not available in the software.

Ricardo
Marketing in US
Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

Perfect to test your website for the user experiance

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Easy set up and I quickly got results that led to positive changes in my website

Cons:

Sometimes bots come into my website and use the limited amount of screen captures for the heatmap

Pradeep
Assistant Professor in India
Education Management, Self Employed

Good but can be better

3.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It is good but I see a lot of scope in the application.

Pros:

Heatmaps as they can help us understand about the website experience which the users get.

Cons:

Pricing and lack of platform independence

Benjamin
Head of Marketing in Poland
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

The best heatmap software

Pros:

The best parts of Hotjar are the intuitive heatmaps, and visitor recordings, that offer deep insights into user behavior and user interaction based on real visitor data. Once you've implemented the tool - it's easy to of use to get all the data information from your users and visitors, to do research or to improve your website experience.

Cons:

The only issue besides the learning curve could include the sampling limits on larger sites, which may prevent you from getting a complete picture of visitor behavior.

Brock
Brock
Vice President of Marketing in US
Retail, 51–200 Employees

I can't imagine how you do CRO without Hotjar

Comments: We have had an excellent experience with Hotjar. It has made our user studies very simple and we have learned SO MUCH about how our customers interact with our website. This has made it infinitely easier for us to streamline our UI and buying process.

Pros:

It is very simple, it works exactly as you expect it to, it is easy to set up and configure, and WOW is it ever powerful. It is literally like someone turning a light on when you are doing conversion rate optimization work. No more guessing. Now you can study user behavior and see EXACTLY how they are responding to your designs, UI/UX and interfaces. We have literally made MILLIONS of extra dollars once we started using Hotjar.

Cons:

There is little we don't like about Hotjar. It just works (and it is easy to use).

Spencer
Online Marketing Specialist in Australia
Online Media, 51–200 Employees

Great UX/CRO Tool for the Price

Comments: I think overall Horjar is a great tool for small to medium-sized businesses. For the price, it has a number of great features to start user testing and CRO. As a marketer (not technically inclined whatsoever), it's also pretty easy to set up and use.

Pros:

The surveys are what we use most to get insight into what our users are after, issues they may have, and to get ideas for content.

Cons:

Nothing really. It suits the purpose of a value-based beginner UX/CRO tool. For the price it does exactly what I need it for.

Carlos
Carlos
UX Researcher in Mexico
Logistics & Supply Chain, 501–1,000 Employees

Excelent but a little expensive

Comments: Very great experience, but with the actualization the manual heatmaps are off :(

Pros:

The heatmaps and recording are so critical to create a UX centered product in all the organization

Cons:

The recordings daily are not configurable, and it´s necesary when you need to track more or lees sessions

Adulhakeem
Marketing Supervisor in Nigeria
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Satisfaction

5.0 last week New

Comments: Really self explanatory and easy to access

Pros:

the level of genuine feedbacks i get, on how to improve my product is really impressive and also the integration.

Cons:

IT is quite pricy but as time goes on you will enjoy it because of the results it brings .

Joe
Production Manager in US

Great Heatmaps

4.0 last week New

Comments: The benefits of using this tool is well worth it.

Pros:

Using Hotjar to create heatmaps has been really helpful for us to understand how to help our clients with their websites as well as showing the clients what we need to do and why.

Cons:

Sometimes there can be too much information — too much of a good thing can make it tricky to sort through it all.

Mowshori
Researcher in US
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Hotjar is a platform for getting feedback from website visitors.

Comments: Analysis tools include Heatmaps, Visitor Recording, Form Analytics, and Conversion Funnels, which let you watch and measure how our users act.

Pros:

Seeing how our site's visitors use it helps me figure out how to improve the user experience. The recording features let me see what people actually see on my site, which helps me find any problems. Heat maps will show us what our site visitors do and what they are interested in. I can also improve our conversion funnels and forms by finding out what needs to be fixed or improved. I also noticed that I don't have to worry about paying for a plan that works for everyone but doesn't fit my needs. Instead, it has different plans for people, businesses, and government agencies. This makes sure that I only pay for the features I want. Personal users with low traffic can even get a free plan that lets them add as many users as they want forever. Meanwhile, businesses will pay based on how many times their pages are looked at every day. The agency plans, on the other hand, give you a single account that can be used for multiple client sites.

Cons:

Prices could be better for new companies. Some things need to be worked on more. There should be ways to record multiple sessions at once in different parts of the site.

Atul
Author in India
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Most Recommended Product

Pros:

User experience insights: Hotjar provides a range of tools for understanding user behavior and experience on your website, including heatmaps, session recordings, and polls.Easy to use: Hotjar has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to set up and use, even for users who are new to web analytics.Customization: Hotjar allows you to customize your tracking and feedback tools to suit your specific needs and goals.Integration: Hotjar can be easily integrated with a range of other tools and platforms, including Google Analytics.Affordability: Hotjar offers a range of pricing plans to suit different budgets and needs, including a free plan for small websites.

Cons:

Data privacy: Some users may be concerned about the data that Hotjar collects and how it is used.Limited functionality: Hotjar has a range of features, but it may not have all the advanced functionality that some users require.Limited support: While Hotjar offers online resources and a knowledge base for users, it may not provide as much personal support as some users would like.Dependence on cookies: Hotjar relies on cookies to track website visitors, which means it may not accurately track users who have disabled cookies in their web browsers.Resource-intensive: Hotjar's tracking and feedback tools can be resource-intensive, which may impact the performance of your website.

Ian
Director of Marketing in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

There's really now substitute for sticky UX problems.

Comments: When you absolutely, positively need to know exactly what your users are doing, there really is no substitute for Hotjar. Is it a bit invasive? Sure! But literally watching users' every move has been where the market was headed for a long time. We have saved easily tens of thousands of dollars in developer/PM/design time by watching our users, and we've rolled those savings back into product improvements directly driven by data from Hotjar. Does that cross an ethical line? Maybe... but if you gotta have it, then you gotta have it *shrug emoji*.

Pros:

Clearly the best software for watching your every user's every move. They could probably have stopped there. However, the tagging, filtering and playback functionality is an incredible upgrade to the tool. User journey videos are raw unstructured data, incredibly valuable but somewhat hard to leverage at scale within an institutional decision-making paradigm. The simple tools to add context and structured data by tagging and annotating recordings makes the core functionality much more valuable.

Cons:

Everything about Hotjar is exactly how you would hope it would be. If you are considering it now, you should probably have already gotten out your wallet and bought it. You know what it does. It does it extremely well. The only thing I don't love about it is it feels kind of unethical. But hey, I get paid to do my job... and what is money if not a tool to get people to take actions they might not otherwise have taken (for example, recording the every move of every visitor to a website).

5 years ago

Hi Ian, Thanks for your review! We're pleased to hear that you are finding great value in Hotjar. From its very first day, Hotjar was designed with privacy of the end user in mind. If you want to find out more on Hotjar's approach to privacy please read this blogpost. https://www.hotjar.com/blog/our-approach-to-privacy-2019-and-beyond/ b/r Denis

roy
digital marketer in Spain
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

great website analytics and user behaviour tool

Comments: If you are into deep website analytics and user behaviour and want to get great insights, hotjar is a great tool.
Although i use several analytics tools I combine all data I got with hotjar insights that provide me with that extra info.
I use it on a daily basis. All the different features are great, like the screen recording that visually helps you see what your customers are doing on your website to the website.

Pros:

1. Great website analysis features which are really easy to use and provide great insights: heatmaps that show you where users are clicking and navigating, visitor screen recording that show you have users are behaving on your website, feedback surveys, form analysis that show you have users are using your forms or detailed convertion funnels that show you where your users are dropping of.

Cons:

in general I really love all features hotjar has but I am missing one important feature to analyse user vs content performance which is the a/b testing feature.

4 years ago

Hi Roy, Thanks very much for your review. It's great to hear that you're getting so much use out of all of the behavior analytics tools in Hotjar. I totally understand your comment around A/B testing as this is a natural next step in the process for a lot of people. However, we are 100% focused on building robust behavior analytics software that helps to understand user behavior and get the insights needed to make changes, so we have made a conscious decision not to invest in building A/B testing tools to validate if an approach is working or not. Most of our customers use another tool like Optimizely or Google Optimize for that. If you reach out to me directly [[email protected]], I'd like to send you a little something as thank you for reviewing us. Cheers, Mike

Lucas
Lucas
Creative Director in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Freemium level features offer great visitor insights

Comments: My primary use of HotJar is the click tracking and scroll depth features. I'll occasionally use the visitor recording feature. These reports alone provide invaluable information for my web clients to get an idea of how effective their sites are in generating conversions. The surprise benefits of the click tracking is that we can see where people are clicking on spots that are not actually intended to be and I can adjust the UI design to downplay those areas to create a better user experience. The scroll depth gives me a better handle on what important information is not being reached by visitors and helps me decide how to best move that information further up the page stack to ensure that visitors see what we need them to see.

Pros:

Easy to deploy tracking script to sites Async loading doesn't impact user experience Reports are easy to read and can be shared with clients Free tier provides more-than-adequate reporting for most small businesses

Cons:

I can't actually say anything bad about the pricing structure, the admin panel, or the product quality they deliver. If you're a small business looking to get insights about your visitors' habits, this is an awesome free tool.

4 years ago

Hi Lucas, Thanks very much for the comprehensive review. It's great to hear that you find Hotjar easy-to-use and you're getting valuable insights about your visitors' habits. I'd like to offer you a small thank you from Hotjar for taking the time to review our software - please reach out to me at [email protected]. Cheers, Mike from Hotjar

Joseph
Joseph
Founder in US
Entertainment, Self Employed

I recommend.

Comments: Great for the most part. I've recommended it to many people. Easy to use, offers great info. It does make it hard to filter your own traffic from the data - my only qualm.

Pros:

Great analytics tool. It records the sessions of people who visit your site - great information if you're looking to improve e-commerce conversions or design behavior.

Cons:

I don't have much to suggest. It was easy to install the script onto my site. I do wish they'd make it easy to filter out my own device though - you have to manually filter out your own devices, which clouds the data.

5 years ago

Hey Joseph, Wow, what a review! Thanks so much for taking the time, and it's great to hear you're finding Hotjar useful to improve conversions. Following up your issue with filtering out your devices - I'd love to follow up with you on this to hear your feedback in more detail. What would your suggestion be to make this easier? All the best, Alex from the Hotjar marketing team.

Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Started from the bottom, now we here

Comments: I've been a beta user and I've now been using Hotjar for over 2 years (even have the tshirt to prove it). While other tools such as Zoho PageSense, MouseFlow and Inspectlet do a similar job, Hotjar makes it dead-simple. Heatmaps and visitor recordings are a godsend, next to regular anayltics. And every single feature is free? That's beyond crazy!

Pros:

- Heatmaps and visitors recordings work like a charm and provide a great deal of information. - If Google Analytics tells you what and how many, Hotjar tells you why: polls make it easy to gather user feedback. - Using all of its features, you can get a better grasp into why people don't fill in a certain form or don't buy a product.

Cons:

- Some features are blocked behind a paywall. - Organization of sites and companies can get confusing at times. - Not all descriptions make it clear what a specific feature does.

Sebastián
Sebastián
Marketing Consultant in Argentina
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Best tool for user tracking and heatmaps!

Comments: I love using Hotjar! It helps me understand how users behave on my site, what they need, and how they feel. I can quickly see what pages they're visiting, how much time they're spending on each page, and where they're clicking. This information is really helpful in optimizing my client's sites.

Pros:

Hotjar is a great tool for understanding how users behave on your site: video tracking is the best part. By reviewing the videos I can see why customers abandon the shopping cart or why they don't scroll further down the blog.

Cons:

I would like to be able to isolate elements on the web page for individual analysis.

Luca
Founder in Italy
Online Media, 2–10 Employees

Hotjar-A guarantee of quality

Pros:

Hotjar is incredibly easy to setup. The learning curve is basically flat. The product is cheap and has a great free version.

Cons:

It can slow down your website without you noticing it. Look at Google Developer Tools, the time to interactive value.

5 years ago

Hey there Luca, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate it! Brilliant to hear you find the tool easy to use. Following up your feedback on site speed - have you had a look at this resource? https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009335727-Will-Hotjar-Slow-Down-My-Site- On average the initialization of Hotjar has a minimal impact on the page being usable (around 0.01 seconds) and adds around 0.3 seconds to the overall page completion. In the article I link above we also dive into some more factors to consider about speed testing. Most importantly - we'd love to help if you're finding this is causing any issues at all! :) The team is available at [email protected]. All best, Alex

Justin
Marketing Operations Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Wow, What a Product!

Comments: Within an hour of integrating it into our site and CRM (which took only minutes), we were getting recordings of user visits and heat maps, greatly increasing our ability to quickly improve the performance of our website and marketing campaigns.

Pros:

What DON'T I like about this software is more like it. I'm blown away that there's not more reviews for HotJar and am very happy to have spotted this opportunity to give them some love. HotJar is easily the best value-to-price behavior mapping software of its kind, and I've used and shopped for several of them. That pretty much sums it up. From heat mapping to visitor recordings to polling functionality, I simply haven't had to look for another solution since I found it, and it is much more cost-effective than its competitors. Its integrations that we have implemented have worked splendidly, as well. 5 stars, hands down.

Cons:

I'm only listing "cons" because I have to to submit this review. Some of its user interface wasn't completely intuitive to me at first but I overcame it quickly and don't think it's fair to expect every software program to not come with a little bit of a learning curve. Within a couple of days I was navigating it fluidly.

Crystal
Crystal
Marketing Content Developer in US
Insurance Software, 11–50 Employees

Watch, Change, Improve, Repeat

Pros:

Stumbled across Hotjar after paying way too much with another company. Hotjar is the best thing on the market for price, hands-down. It is easy to use, easy to set up, and you can be recording users, generating heat maps, and collecting polls from day one. We used Hotjar primarily for recordings and polls. Recordings are crisp, easy to watch, and I love that you can add notes to the video WHILE you are watching. And then save those notes for other people on your team to see later. The polls feature is great. Many options for when the poll launches. Hotjar makes it easy to analyze your data, or export it and analyze it on your own.

Cons:

The only downside is that Hotjar cannot record what happens inside an iframe. Such a bummer if you really need to see how your users interact.

Yassine
Yassine
ceo in Morocco
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

A must have tool for websites optimization

Comments: Hotjar helped me detect some key elements that were causing a low conversion rate and a lot of abandoned checkouts on my website, without it I wouldn’t be able to detect and fix those issues by myself and I would have to hire a consultant to figure out what’s wrong. We were also able to run successful A/B tests with the help of hotjar because we use it to monitor which variant is outperforming the other by monitoring users behavior on each one.

Pros:

Hotjar is quick and easy to install on any website, and it provides important insights through heat maps and users session recording that helps us better optimize our website to maximize conversions. The data that we get from hotjar is so important for us because based on it we decide what should we change or remove.

Cons:

The only downside to hotjar is the fact that it’s not possible to download recordings, I would love to have this option so I can download some sessions and have someone else take a look at them without giving full access.

Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Good heatmap and user click tracking

Comments: Overall, it provides valuable heatmap and users interaction tracking so we can optimized SEO. It stil is a little creepy though

Pros:

It does what it is supposed to do. It shows where users are clicking on your site and gives good detailed information on how users interact with your site.

Cons:

It is a little creepy and any active tracking makes the site a little slower. Some users feel their privacy is violated and report it.

4 years ago

Hey there, Thanks so much for taking the time to review us, we appreciate it! We're glad to hear you're getting useful insights from Hotjar. Just wanting to follow up your feedback about Hotjar 'being creepy' and your users feeling their privacy is being violated. While we can't give you legal advice, we recommend telling your users what Hotjar data is really meant for, which is improving their site experience through understanding how they use it anonymously. We've got some recommendations on what to include in your privacy policy here: https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038347874-Sample-Wording-for-Your-Privacy-Policy If you're having trouble with site speed we recommend checking out this resource about how the Hotjar script works. Feel free to reach out to us via the support link on that page if we can be of help! https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009335727-Will-Hotjar-Slow-Down-My-Site- Best, Denis from Hotjar

Tariq
Full Stack Developer in India
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

Nothing Like Hotjar - Best To Track User Behavior

Pros:

Hotjar is something we were looking from very long time, my most favorite option in hotjar is heatmaps as it gives us the idea about which section of website is performing well and where we need to work. It help is to improve overall user experience

Cons:

Ok, as the things is in hotjar we were not able to create funnel in Angular website it doesn't read the form data in it.

Aman
Aman
Digital Marketing Coordinator in Canada
Automotive, 501–1,000 Employees

A solid marketing intelligence tool to accurately identity UX/UI issues!

Comments: There were some apps that were causing UX/UI issues but we were able to discover them quickly using the heatmaps feature to see where the pages have interacted with the most.

Pros:

We were struggling to see why some of the pages had an abnormally higher bounce rate, using Hotjar's services we were able to pinpoint the issues caused because of UX/UI apps

Cons:

All happy here with the product, the team is quite satisfied with the reports we have received from Hotjar and we're the progress filter through Google Analytics, so quite satisfied!

4 years ago

Hi Aman! Thanks so much for taking the time to review Hotjar - we appreciate it! It's great to hear you were able to fix your UX issues with the help of Hotjar insights. What would you like to see in Hotjar that'd make it easier to work with that would lead you to give us 5 stars for 'Ease of Use'? Would love to hear from you - feel free to write me back and share your thoughts. Best Alex from the Hotjar team