15 years helping Canadian businesses

Canada Local product

Knit Reviews

4.8 (118) Write a Review! Canada Local product

About Knit

Knit is a 100% Canadian payroll + HR platform that puts your CRA compliance on autopilot. The #1 choice for 100+ accounting firms.

Learn more about Knit

Pros:

It integrates very well with the accounting software. The filing of ROEs and year-end documents is very simple and straightforward.

Cons:

You should be able to put 1 employee in more than one pay group.

Knit ratings

4.8
4.8
4.6
4.7

9.0/10

Knit has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 118 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Knit before?

Andrew
Andrew
Founder in Canada
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

Great product and even better customer service!

Comments: Dealing with Knit has been super easy from the beginning. They do set a high standard when it comes to customer service, that I've always appreciated.

Pros:

Knit has a very open and transparent platform that involves its high user base with changes/features that should be implemented. It's very refreshing to see when we're able to directly impact the software we're using on a regular basis.

Cons:

Knit is constantly working on improving its platform. There are a few features we've wanting to be implemented for the last year (better ROE management, tighter reporting, better dashboard, etc.) so we're excited to see these features up and running soon.

Deb
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

We encourage all of our clients to use Knit

Comments: I began using Knit soon after they started in business. I have watched and experienced its growth and improvements. The support is great, with answers usually within a few hours if done by email and someone answers the phone if time is of the essences. They listen to the clients and their accounting partners. I have made suggestions in the past and within a few months some of the suggestions are implemented. We love that we can easily assist our clients in paying their employees while keeping those clients 100% compliant with CRA.

Pros:

I liked that Knit syncs with QBO, that it can handle most, if not all, levels of payroll complexity and that it remits payments to the CRA without any added steps for the user.

Cons:

At first, the reporting was lacking, but that has improved immensely. I wish it could sync to QBO automatically, especially for payrolls that are automated. I would also like to have a little more override control as an accounting professional.

Maxine
Bookkeeper in Canada
Accounting Software, Self Employed

Multiple pay rate and project tracking

Comments: We were unable to use Knit for this complex payroll

Pros:

Easy to use. many reporting features. Many good features.

Cons:

It did not work for my client as we could not setup multiple rates for employees, and also track the project and the multiple provinces.

Deb
Owner in Canada
Accounting Software, Self Employed

Knit makes payroll a breeze

Comments: Knit has been great to work with. Customer service team is quick to respond and very helpful.

Pros:

We use Knit payroll for several of our clients. It makes it so easy to run payroll and generate reports we need. Love that we can export the journal entry directly to QBO. Saves us so much time

Cons:

Some of the reports were a little difficult to customize, but this has been fixed since we first started using it.

Donna
Office Manager Bookkeeper in Canada
Financial Services Software, Self Employed

Review from a non technical person

Comments: Wonderful experience. I would recommend this product to anyone.

Pros:

Once set up it is easy to use. The customer service is outstanding and any question or issues I had with the initial set up were answered promptly and thoroughly. Any questions or concerns or changes required throughout the year were handled in the same manner.

Cons:

No cons at all. We loved all the features offered.

Mark
Principal in US
Financial Services Software, 2–10 Employees

Long Time User

Comments: Very good - easy to onboard and maintain client payrolls and quick to investigate issues.

Pros:

Ease of use, light features make for easy understanding and decent reporting

Cons:

Slow for running larger payrolls, limited reporting options and have to manipulate in Excel

Alana
Payroll Administration in Canada
Textiles, 11–50 Employees

Glad I Switched!

Comments: We recently switched from ADP to Knit and the transition has been fantastic! The support team is the best and so knowledgeable. Every time I have called in with a question, I always got an answer that made sense. Our first payroll went off without a hitch!

Pros:

The platform is intuitive and modern, the ease of updating employee information is astounding. The reports are very easy to use and read.

Cons:

Can't find anything negative to say about Knit.

Abdul
CPA in Canada

Easiest Payroll Software to Use

Comments: Great! Very modern look and feel of the site, features are easy to find and use. Reports are easy to read and understand. Integration with other platforms (quickbooks, for example) is very handy as well and saved much time for payroll reporting.

Pros:

Very easy to set up and use the software. The automation in there is very handy for business owners who can't spend too much time on administrative tasks such as payroll. Platform is laid out very well, making it very intuitive for most useful features.

Cons:

Not much to dislike. If anything went wrong, customer service is always there to help right away.

Brent
Brent
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Does it's job, needs better reporting

Pros:

Pretty easy to use, does it's job, good for direct deposits, keeps compliance documents in one place & provides self-serve for team

Cons:

Reporting is poor - NO vacation / time off reports at all No ability to integrate vacation calendar with Office 365 calendars

Bev
Board Member in Canada
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

Great Product for Non-Profits

5.0 last month New

Comments: Knit makes payroll automation affordable for smaller non-profits. There is great customer service and they are very responsive to any issues that come up.

Pros:

Moving to a payroll service streamlined the treasurer's job at our non-profit. No more ROEs to create, no more monthly filing to CRA and no more tax calculations. It is all done for you through Knit.

Cons:

So far haven't found anything. Definitely no issues with their product.

Anna
Firm owner in Canada

My go-to payroll service

Comments: Amazing overall, I use it for nearly all clients and my own business.

Pros:

I like that I reach a human every time I call (and it’s not a call centre) and they take suggestions seriously and actually implement them.

Cons:

Only wish would be less lead time between input date and payout date.

Milla
Partner in Canada
Accounting Software, 11–50 Employees

Great payroll system

Pros:

Easy to implement, friendly and logical user interface. Ability to seamlessly connect and integrate with accounting software is essential. Allows for automatic payroll processing. Accommodates various payroll groups : salaried, hourly etc.

Cons:

N/A as I did not come across anything that I don’t like/use.

Michelle
Owner in Canada
Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

Cafe Knit User

Comments: It is good, there are some items they need to improve on.

Pros:

It is Canadian and it is super user friendly.

Cons:

The customer service is not as easy or quick to respond.

Leanne
Operations Leader in Canada
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

Knit is our payroll app of choice

Pros:

Knit allows us to efficiently onboard new payroll clients and their teams. It offers everything we need in a payroll system.

Cons:

I am not sure if there is anything that I do not like

Trish
Owner/Operator in Canada

Knit Payroll

Comments: I have been very happy with Knit so far, and as a bookkeeper I am loving the automatic filing of source deductions and the reminders of payroll cycles. It is a huge part of my practice and it is slowly easing my worry of missing a deadline for a payroll client to be onboarding my clients to Knit.

Pros:

Automation is excellent, and allows all crews to access their own documentation easily in a central hub. Easily implemented and easy for crew to log in and create their own accounts within the system.

Cons:

It takes some time to understand which reports are best going to show clients (who are not in the financial industry) the data that they wish to see.

Rich
Sr. Manager - IT Services in Canada
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Competitively priced, easy to use HR management system

Comments: Good value for the money, and friendly support available when needed. Worth the switch for a small business tired of the larger, more expensive corporate solutions.

Pros:

Pricing, easy and straightforward payroll/employee management for small businesses

Cons:

Better reporting is needed, from both the employer and employee side of things

Emily
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Stress Free Payroll

Comments: It has been simple and effective. Customer support is a game changer for experienced bookkeepers and people new to the process. The interface is intuitive and allows for quick training on the software.

Pros:

The employee onboarding process and payroll.

Cons:

Having employees in different provinces without having an office.

Rose
owner in Canada
Food Production, 2–10 Employees

knit is super easy and we love it!

Comments: excellent

Pros:

Payroll can be done so quickly/efficiently

Cons:

none - it works very well for our company

Libby
Creative Strategist in Canada
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Knit lets me know what I want to know, whenI want to know it, without having to bother anyone else.

Comments: I enjoy using Knit because I can use it at night or on weekends and don't have to ask an HR person to do (or check) things for me. It keeps track of things I don't keep track of (like the exact dates I booked off for a vacation, or when I requested 3 hours off for a CT scan) and I can re-download last year's T4 if I can't find the one I printed out.

Pros:

Knit keeps track of things I don't necessarily keep track of - and I can get answers 24/7, instead of having to ask an HR person to look something up for me. For example, I recently checked Knit to see what I wrote when requesting time off because I couldn't remember when I had a particular medical test. I knew I'd noted it when I requested 3 hours off.

Cons:

I have absolutely no complaints about Knit.

Shaun
Food truck in Canada
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

Knit takes care of our payroll

Pros:

They take care of our payroll so that I don’t have to.

Cons:

I guess the fees are what I like least.

Tanya
Cloud Accounting Professional in Canada

Great Payroll Product

Comments: We offer 2 options, and Knit is our prefered option for client's payroll needs.

Pros:

The ease of use along with the customer service, and response to improve the product.

Cons:

There are still some features that need to be improved, but I do know they are working on them.

Marco
Partner in Canada
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

Accoutning firm using Knit for our clients

Comments: Makes running payroll easy. Highly recommended.

Pros:

Love this software, ease of use, great UI, easy for clients to run payroll themselves, different paygroups provide great flexibility.

Cons:

The software is roubst and reliable. The only annoyance is when sending the JE to QBO it uses todays date instead of pay date.

Hayley
Dentist in Canada
Hospital & Health Care, 2–10 Employees

Excellent customer service

Pros:

They help me with everything and make it easy to use and customize

Cons:

It’s all good I don’t have anything bad to say

Kaitlin
Operations Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Grateful for Ease and Clarity

Comments: Overall, I'd recommend this product to anyone looking to streamline their operations and to make tax season much easier!

Pros:

Knit's monthly reminders help me to stay on top of monthly payroll, and the overview I receive of taxes, what's debited from the accounts, what the employees will receive, etc. is extremely user friendly and ease-filled. The clear communications and interface always help the process to go as smoothly as possible.

Cons:

I wish there were more descriptions of terms. As a new payroll service user, it's not always clear how to do what I need to do / what I need to do should I have to perform something outside of the monthly payroll scope I know how to do.

Matthew
physician in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

knit review

Comments: I have a small company with 1 employee and it makes payroll easy and something I don't have to think about or spend to much time focusing on.

Pros:

very easy to use and self-intuitive. I have minimal experience with book-kepping and payroll but I have no troubles navigating knit

Cons:

honestly there's not much to dislike. It fits and works well for everything I need. Perhaps adding a mobile app would be helpful as well, but in the end is not a big deal.