15 years helping Canadian businesses

Google Drive Reviews

4.8 (27,437) Write a Review!

About Google Drive

Google Drive is a cloud-based storage platform that allows users and teams to store, access, and share files in one secure place.

Learn more about Google Drive

Pros:

It's wonderful, because implementation is seamless, no matter if BYOD or corporate equipment. Accessible from anywhere, collaborate and comment through phone.

Cons:

The only trouble I've had with Google Drive has to do with the windows software which has caused me some problems.

Google Drive ratings

4.7
4.4
4.6
4.7

9.2/10

Google Drive has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 27,437 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Google Drive before?

Filter reviews (27,437)

Igor
Igor
Trucking company owner. in US
Logistics & Supply Chain, Self Employed

Google for trucking.

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I like it all. All my email's and files are conected with mybpictures and documents so i never have a problem finding anything.

Cons:

Some functions arent available on the cell phone but they are on a desktop.

Marco
Owner in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

I store all my business items with drive

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It’s been great. I use it for everything. I have some personal files set up, but it’s mainly for my business. I share files with people when needed for marketing and public relations purposes, I store all of my social media images and videos here, and I do store some documents and sometimes share documents with others or they share them with me via Google Drive. It’s the thing from my business these days.

Pros:

I like that I can safely insecurely store all of my photos, videos, anything connected to my business and some personal items in one spot. Also, it’s nice that there’s a lot of storage space and that it’s easy to send files to people to grant them access as needed. I use it as my main storage source.

Cons:

Nothing yet! It works well. Really haven’t had any problems. I hope that I won’t run out of storage one day, I will have to cross that bridge when I get to it!

Ahmed darwish
Technical training in Egypt
Automotive, 51–200 Employees

Manage and control my files in Drive

3.0 last month New

Comments: Through the Drive application, I can receive or share my files, and also save a group of files with a common subject within a folder, thus facilitating dealing with those files. I can also save and share files in different formats, such as images, PDF files, drawings, and sometimes programs.

Pros:

I liked some things about it: First, reading some files or seeing pictures without having to download them, and also sending them to my friends and employers. The possibility of merging a large number of files within a folder, especially if the files are dedicated to a specific topic Drive deals with many file formats, such as Word, PDF, JPG, IMG, and links, which shortens the addition of many programs. It also works through Windows, Android, Mac, and the App Store.

Cons:

The disadvantages of this application are that it is difficult to arrange folders and files in it, and it also does not work at low internet speeds. In addition, it takes a long time to open the file through it, which forces me to download the file and open it through another program. It also has limited download capacity, which forces me to create multiple accounts

Kimberly
Kimberly
Communications Consultant in US
Legislative Office, Self Employed

Google Drive - not the best RIDE share.

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: For storing, it is fine. I mostly forget about the items I have in Google Drive. For something like organizing or sharing it takes more discipline. But it is nice for the entry price of FREE!

Pros:

As with most things Google, its DRIVE is adequate. It works for smaller businesses. The price point is excellent and using it with the rest of Google suite (workplace) offerings is seamless. It is good on desktop or in mobile applications.

Cons:

Google Drive is not able to be modified in needed ways. I like to color coordinate my files/documents. Also, I would like to show only those items I need via brands. This is currently not possible. Drop and drag with 3rd party platforms is not possible. Not with Constant Contact.

Clarion
Researcher in US
Broadcast Media, 11–50 Employees

Google Drive An Easy To Use Platform

5.0 last month New

Comments: It is an intuitive and simple platform to use.

Pros:

Google Drive is intuitive and easy to navigate. Am able to upload, manage, and retrieve documents without extensive training. The system offers robust organization capabilities, allowing me to categorize documents by type, project, or department.

Cons:

Google Drive is my one stop shop that has no downsides.

Food & Beverages, 10,000+ Employees

Efficient zero-footprint multi-device file storage and sharing

5.0 last month New

Comments: It is a very convenient tool to store and manage files for yourself and others you need to access the files.

Pros:

One single cloud-based repository for all files. Very easy to cover the main 2 use cases: "store files just for me", "store & share with others so they can access/ collaborate". G-Drive can be seen as the 'single source of storage' regardless of your location or device.

Cons:

The native G-Drive search bar does not always bring the results you expect. The recent ones you have been accessing will typically come up/ get suggested very easily by the 'seachg engine'. For the rest (not frequent files) it is usually required to access the 'advanced search' section to find the files you need.

Keshav
Marketer in India
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Google Drive review

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

Free storage: A substantial quantity of free storage space is available with Google Drive.

Cons:

Risks to Security The service isn't completely impervious to hackers even with its many security measures.

Claire
CEO in UK
Events Services, Self Employed

Incredible service and experience

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

I love how you can share folders and documents and organise all of your work.

Cons:

Sometimes it's not super clear how to restrict document access to certain docs when sharing an entire folder

Accounting Software, 11–50 Employees

Google Drive

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

It was convenient and easy to use. The integration with other software was flawless.

Cons:

I can't think of anything as even the free version was quite adequate.

Sujal
Photography business owner in India
Photography, Self Employed

EASY WAY TO SHARE

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: If talk about Overall experience it's extremely good. Like all my work got easy cause I've heavy work level of sharing files online and Google drive makes it easy for me.

Pros:

I love alot of things about Google drive , mainly there are many websites from where we can share files and all but drive is firstly safe and secondly easy to use. Also the access granting permission and all , I really praise it.

Cons:

Actually the thing I like least is there storage issue. They can just turn it a little more so that the people who aren't subscription partner can atleast have a fair space. But okay this their business model so I'm not even complaining

Angelica
Angelica
Project Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

The best cloud file storage solution

Comments: Drive has provided a fantastic way for my team to have one central location for files to be housed and shared, and has greatly increased the organization of my team as a whole. When you're dealing with a lot of files, NOT having a solution like Drive to contain & organize them all is a living nightmare.

Pros:

Easy to use, great for organizations, greatly simplifies the process of storing & sharing files, particularly among members of a company. Increases organization tremendously. The version history tracking ensures accountability and means there are no questions as to where files went, where they came from, or why/when they changed. Also great for sharing files to other clients and a good backup utility as well.

Cons:

Very few cons, but there are some oddities when it comes to sharing files in Team Drives. For instance, folders cannot be shared, only files WITHIN those folders can be shared. It'd be great if Team Drive offered ALL of the features of personal drives, like the aforementioned sharing and the "make a copy" feature. Occasionally, there are some problems downloading multiple files.

Tom
Member in US
Facilities Services, 2–10 Employees

Almost everything you could want in file sharing and storage

Comments: We're using it for basically everything file-related. If it's a document of any kind, it's stored in Drive. God help me if the internet ever goes down because I store pretty much everything in the cloud. That said, there are options to make files available offline.

Pros:

What I love most about Google Drive is that I can upload almost anything to it and share with other people or accounts. I use it to share files with my employees. I use it to draft estimates that I can collaborate on in real time with my business partner hundreds of miles away. I use it to draft web content that I can share directly to my web developer. On the personal side I can use it to share anything between my accounts or to friends, even frivolous stuff like old video game ROMs. I can store recipes and other instructions and access them on any device. Sure there are other platforms that have these functions, but being able to create and share everything right in my web browser is perfect for me. The Google integration is ideal for me, so hands down it's the best file storage and sharing option I've ever come across.

Cons:

I find that the interface gets cluttered pretty quickly. I have a lot stored in Drive and sometimes it takes me much longer than I'd like to find what I'm looking for. This is partially due to me just needing to organize my files better, and partly due to the way items are laid out in the interface. I don't know exactly what I'd do to fix it, but I do know it's not as quick and easy to visually find information as I'd like it to be.

Facilities Services, 2–10 Employees

Great product for cloud collaboration

Comments: Google drive has been a great solution to our file management needs. It's ease of use and share-ability make it my go to soultion for cloud storages.

Pros:

Google drive offers a great resource for sharing files in my organization. It has saved us the need for on-site file storage. The drive is also vehicle that we can use to share files and information with vendors and customers.

Cons:

I would enjoy a feature that would allow you to see more details about a file in the drive platform (ie file type). This is available if you have the drive extension on your file explorer, but would be nice to have in the cloud also.

Lisa
District Technology Coordinator in US
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Stay Organized through Google Drive

Comments: We use Google Drive for storage for student and teacher files in our school district. This allows students and teachers access to their files 24/7 without having to e-mail the file to themselves or to save to an external thumb drive. The ability to backup and synch to Google Drive makes file storage so much easier for both our teachers and students. Sharing files for teacher collaboration and lesson planning is very easy on Google Drive.

Pros:

The things our school staff and students like about Google Drive is the access to files 24/7. We are not tied down to being in the school building to access files on a network drive. Students can access and work on homework assignments from any device that has an internet connection. We also like the ability to search an entire drive for a specific file, organize the data into folders and collaborate with others on one file. Using the Share feature within the drive allows teachers in our school to have collaboration amongst students for assigned projects.

Cons:

Sometimes is it is challenging to get the Google Backup and Synch to work for Google Drive which is frustrating for our students who work on more than one device such as on a lab computer and then want to work on their assigned school laptop or at home. If the synch doesn't work then the student does not have access to the file to complete the assignment. Our school district teachers use Microsoft Office and we sometimes use the Google Drive along with Google Classroom to share files to our students rather than sending them by e-mail. Even if we do e-mail a file to a student, that file is then downloaded from e-mail to store in their assigned space which is synched to Google Drive. When trying to open Microsoft Office files, the files will open in Docs and/or Sheets rather than the Office equivalent.

Dennis
Dennis
Director of Operations in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

Lifesaver

Comments: Very positive - everyone in the organization has adopted it. It is very easy to implement if you are a Gmail centered business.

Pros:

We used to keep a shared drive at each of our locations and ask staff to back up critical file to shared drive. Now we use Drive and it really works well for our organization. We have established shared drives for departments regardless of location and individuals can securely store their docs.

Cons:

I am not really sure it is an issue with the software however I wish I could map drives without eating up hard drive space. This may be available however the last time I tried it I ended up with a very full hard drive.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 10,000+ Employees

Google Drive retired my pendriver and memory cards

Pros:

Google Drive makes all the difference in my professional and personal career with my team. A prominent feature in the new service is the search for files, which is done in the entire content of the file, using keywords and filters, such as, for example, file type and creator user. The service also promises to recognize objects within your scanned images and texts, providing data about your documents. In addition to the powerful search, Google Drive has a tool for viewing files, which displays more than 30 types of files in the user's browser. The files range from high definition videos to Adobe Photoshop files, to text documents, spreadsheets and presentations.

Cons:

The Google Drive service integrates version control for stored files. All changes made to the files are recorded and saved automatically for 30 days. If the user wishes, it is possible to choose a version to save forever. Thus, users can have control of what was done in their files, knowing what was changed, when and by whom. Version control for all files (Photo: Reproduction / Disclosure) Version control for all files.

Hanny
Engineer in US
Design, 2–10 Employees

Most impactful software for a small business

Comments: Google Drive is being used to share and edit documents between employees of a small company. It is an excellent product.

Pros:

Google Drive does many things well. 1) Using "Backup and Sync," Google Drive allows for synchronization between a Windows folder and the Drive website and phone app. 2) Google Drive seamlessly integrates with Windows as a directory without the need to open an app or website. 3) Documents can be shared and edited with multiple users concurrently.

Cons:

There is a difficulty in managing shared documents in Windows. When a document is shared by someone else with you, it appears in the "Shared with me" section in the Google Drive website or app. However, it does not appear in the Google Drive directory on Windows. That means that I am forced to use the website or app for those files. This is a frustrating limitation.

Austin
Austin
Freelance Web Developer in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Google Drive - Collaboration made easy

Comments: I like the ability to have all my documents on the cloud. I don't have to worry about losing a document due to hard drive failure or deleting an document because it's always going to be online. Overall, I have to say even for a free software it's a complete bargain. You get most of the features of Word for free and it's entirely on the web browser. What's not to love about that? The only thing they can improve on in my eyes with Google Drive is if they added more flesh out options that could make Microsoft Word obsolete. I have to say overall my experience with Google Drive has been consistently positive and I will be using this software for many more years to come in both my academic and my future career.

Pros:

My absolute favorite thing about Google Drive is the ability to collaborate with others. I have used Google Drive for my group assignments from middle school and all the way through to college. It has made group projects easy to keep track of and easy to share. I love how I can work on a word document, power point document or even an excel worksheet with anyone by simply sharing the link. It takes the hassle away from downloading programs because Google Drive is entirely online. I can access all my files from any device, any place, and any time. I don't even install word processor programs on my new devices anymore. I just use Google Drive because it's simple and it just works.

Cons:

My biggest gripe about Google Drive is the lack of formatting and design options for things like Google docs and Google slides. The most accurate way to put it is that the programs are very bare bones. Most of the time you can get away with it but sometimes my professors require things to be formatted in such a way that Google docs and Google slides doesn't support. Google has added more functionality to google drive since it's release back in 2012, but if it wants to compete with Microsoft, they need to add more features that are in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Powerpoint.

Mandeep
Mandeep
Associate Project Manager in India
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

One of the best service for cloud storage and backup your important information.

Comments: Overall I would say I am very happy to use this software. I have been using this software on Microsoft Windows and Android Mobile devices and never thought of using any other software for my cloud storage needs.

Pros:

I have been using this software by Google since last 5-6 years, both on my mobile devices and on computer. One of the best feature of this software is its syncing capabilities across various platforms. I don't need to manually sync any information from my mobile device to my computer. Google Drive does it automatically based on my account I logged in on all devices. Further I can just access any information from my any devices anywhere using my login credentials and don't need to carry storage device to carry my information along with me. This makes me feel safer while accessing my sensitive information remotely. Also, you can have various options from their paid plans to get the cloud storage. Which I think is best option to store your important information rather than saving that physically on storage devices. I would say this is one of the best software for remotely storing your information and accessing that safely using login credentials. Best software provided by Google. I would definitely recommend this software to anyone who need to access information across various devices.

Cons:

Not many cons I noticed but yes one of not so good feature I can say is that sometimes it becomes difficult to find what data has been shared publicly and what is set as private. It should have some kind of definite identification of data shared as public and the private records.

Liam
Liam
Innovation Designer in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

Live. Love. Drive.

Comments: We use Google Drive as part of the Google Business Suite at our organization and have switched over to it almost exclusively for document storage and creating and collaborating on working documents. We can't imagine doing our work without it and appreciate that it is so universal. Even internationals with whom we work are familiar with the software and find it easy to jump in with us at whatever project stage we are at.

Pros:

I was jerryrigging an approximation of Google Drive before it even existed by going into Gmail and saving files as attachments to draft emails. Then logging in from another computer to access them. Thank goodness I don't have to do that anymore! Google Drive is the best way to make sure you have your files when you need them, no matter where you go, or what device you have access to. It's my first stop when I need to create a document, spreadsheet, or business presentation. Plus, with our organization's recent upgrade to the Business Suite, storage space is no longer a concern. I would pay for it, even if I were just using it personally. That's how much it means to me.

Cons:

The only issues I run into with Google Drive are those that reflect my own disorganized nature. Sometimes I have trouble finding what I'm looking for because I don't have a great filing system. But that's where the search bar comes in handy. The other frustrations I run into with Drive are when others use it incorrectly. Like sharing a file without opening up file sharing permissions. Or being logged into a different Google account when they make edits and leave comments. It's nothing that can't be overcome with a little training and a sprinkling of needed knowledge gained from personal experience or from the help forums.

Kevin
Factory Worker in US
Automotive, 10,000+ Employees

Google Drive is where it's at!

Comments: It allows me to keep track of all of my personal photos without worrying about space issues. Additionally, I am able to organize these photos into their own folders and can choose to make them public or private. That way, if I had just come from a wedding or some other event where 40+ pictures were taken, I can upload them all to the drive and direct my friends there to view them. I also have used the Drive to share various different files between both coworkers and personal friends. I introduced five different people to Google Drive years ago and to this day, they all still use it often.

Pros:

Google Drive is the best thing that has happened since sliced bread! It allows you to upload photos, documents as well as any other file you intend on saving for future use. Personally, I love the fact that you can choose to share your drive with another Google user at your own discretion. You can allow either only specific files to be shared or you can share the entire drive. In the past I worked at a company where we used Google Drive daily to upload work documents to each other, whether we were at the office or at home. It was super easy and very convenient. It is linked with most apps and other software like Facebook for instance. If you want to post a picture from your drive onto Facebook it can easily be done. Google Drive also has an excellent amount of space, I have uploaded hundreds of files and am no where near my max capacity.

Cons:

Honestly, I love pretty much everything about Google Drive. It is such a great tool for those that work in an office setting - I can not emphasize this enough. Being able to privately and securely access files between you and your fellow coworkers is an amazing feature.

Heidi
Membership Engagement Coordinator in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

The Ultimate One-Stop Shop

Comments: I have used it for work and academics alike, and I have never been more satisfied with a single product. There are many ways to share documents, download it to the format you need, and you can edit any project in real time with another individual. Its versatility and collaboration makes it the ideal program.

Pros:

Let's be honest. Google is taking over the world. I have no shame in admitting that I have ushered in this new reign of A.I that will probably take over the world one day... Just kidding. But in all seriousness, Google Docs is where it's at for me. I have used it for years, through my work and even in education. I can access all my documents from anywhere without needing to save it to one particular place. Get rid of your USB's for document transportation, because I can pull up any of my powerpoints, documents, spreadsheets, video files, pictures, and graphic designs on any device with wifi connection. I have it on my phone and can even edit documents on the go. If you wanted to work offline, go for it! Simply download your files. I use my google chromebook to work on the go, and everything is all in one place. If for some reason I didn't have a device on me, I can still easily access my documents by signing into someone else's computer or phone. Google essentially runs my business, and I am pretty satisfied with that thought.

Cons:

If you are a disorganized person, Google Drive can be a little overwhelming. There are several ways you can organize your files, and you can easily lose things if you were shared documents and they ended up in other folders. In addition, Google has many options for a variety of tasks. Having so many functions is a great thing! But I often find I have to look up tutorials semi-frequently to remember how to navigate all the functions. In a way, it's great that Google Drive can do virtually anything with all it's functions, so you have to take time to utilize it to its full potential.

Viktor
Head of music, Lower school in UK
Primary/Secondary Education, 11–50 Employees

The Drive to rule them all

Comments: Overall, Drive is top of the league.
Securely sharing important documents, collaborating on all kinds of shared documents which are synced to any electronic device, with reasonable pricing kept us going for for years in the small school where I work.

Pros:

One of the main features of Google drive is that it can sync on anything. Sync on mobile or tablet, Android or Apple? No problem. Sync on a mobile phone without Google services (Huawei etc)? No problem, there are apps that do this as well. Sync on your laptop or computer, running Windows/Mac? Easy. Linux user? No problem, many apps do this flawlessly. Another great feature is that it links seamlessly with the rest of the Google Kingdom: Docs, Sheets, Gmail, Slides, Classroom. The security is highly customizable: you can choose your own level of protection, and in 20 years working with sensitive data, I always felt secure (you must set your main password right, to start with). Other great features: it let's you create shortcuts throughout the drive, having always your main doc up-to-date, regardless of which version you edit. Also, it keeps versions of updated files, meaning that if you mistakingly updated a PDF and you want your old version back, there are ways to do it. The pricing is very, very reasonable.

Cons:

The web interface is a bit confusing. As a first time user, you are greeted with a lot of bloat that you won't need in the near future (most likely). There no option of dual pane, to move around things quickly. Nor a directory tree on the left side. Renaming files or folders is a joy-breaker: instead of using F2 as on most similar software, one has to right-click, select 'rename' and then do it. The recycle bin becomes very slow, once is has over 1000 files, and it's almost impossible to navigate that wrongly deleted file (whose proper name we forgot). The search is great, as one would expect, although in organisations, finding the right file becomes almost impossible, bloated by results from every single user who ever shared a file. There is filtering by type or owner, but still the search is well behind it's main website search engine (which is way more intuitive). The sharing links are way too long and it beats me why they didn't implement the goo.gl URL shortener for the Drive?

Kavindu Githsara
Kavindu Githsara
System Specialist in Sri Lanka
E-Learning, 11–50 Employees

Google Drive is The Best Investment to Protect Your Valuable Data

Comments: I have been using Google Drive Almost 15 Years now. I backed up lots of valuable Data of mine and my company. I never lost single thing so far. I never faced any trouble when i access my data. I already purchased a bigger space and i need to tell you that it is a worthy investment. Because Google Drive gives you more space to the same cost when comparing to others. You will not have to worry about your Privacy if you use Google Drive. I don't want to switch to any other cloud storage solution because google drive already did change my life.

Pros:

Google Drive can be used even without downloading a software. That makes this cloud storage system is the best when comparing to other cloud storage solutions. Google drive has some offline features that can be helpful for anyone if they face sudden connection failures. Even if you have lower strength of network signal, this google drive works perfectly. It gives us 15GB FREE Storage when we sign up for the first time. This storage may be enough for thousands of documents if you need google drive just to store Documents. Drive is very powerful when it comes to Access Controls. You can manage how you want to share your docs or folders with others. You can set up various Access Levels and Protect your data. Drive can be used from any device available today. We can configure Auto Backup option to make it more easier.

Cons:

There is a Risk of storing data in a Cloud Solution. It does affects to all other cloud storing solutions too. Lots of Cyber Attacks are happening now a days. So, there is a Risk. Other than that i have nothing to highlight.

Marketing & Advertising, 1,001–5,000 Employees

"Google Drive: Reliable and User-Friendly Cloud Storage and File Sharing"

Comments: Overall, my experience with Google Drive has been positive. The convenience of being able to access my files from any device and the ability to collaborate with others in real-time are major advantages. The integration with other Google apps like Gmail and Google Docs makes it even more useful. The storage capacity is generous and the ability to purchase more storage if needed. However, the interface can be difficult to navigate and organize large numbers of files. The search function can also be limited in its ability to find specific files. Additionally, the file sharing feature can be confusing for some users and the process of sharing files with people outside of your organization can be time-consuming. Some users also report issues with syncing between devices and experiencing slow upload or download speeds. Overall, it's a good tool with some minor drawbacks.

Pros:

Google Drive is a great tool for storing and sharing files. One of the things I like most about it is the convenience of being able to access my files from any device with an internet connection. The ability to collaborate on documents in real-time with others is also a huge plus. The integration with other Google apps like Gmail and Google Docs makes it even more useful. Additionally, the storage capacity is generous and the ability to purchase more storage if needed. Overall, Google Drive is a reliable and user-friendly option for cloud storage and file sharing.

Cons:

One downside of Google Drive is that it can be difficult to navigate and organize large numbers of files. The search function can also be limited in its ability to find specific files. Additionally, the file sharing feature can be confusing for some users and the process of sharing files with people outside of your organization can be time-consuming. Some users also report issues with syncing between devices and experiencing slow upload or download speeds.