15 years helping Canadian businesses

About OneDrive

Microsoft OneDrive is a web-based digital asset management solution that allows businesses of all sizes to efficiently manage, collabo

Learn more about OneDrive

Pros:

Feature that a very useful from this software is the ability to flawlessly integrated with my computer operating system.

Cons:

There tends to be more spam associated with OneDrive, occasionally I will receive an email from someone I corresponded with that appears to have a one drive attachment but is actually spam.

OneDrive ratings

4.2

8.3/10

OneDrive has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 11,945 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used OneDrive before?

Filter reviews (11,945)

Oscar
Oscar
Manager in Mexico
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Good storage solution

Comments: In general we liked it a lot.
We were able to simplify many of our collaboration tasks.
He also helped us with the hardware migration, since we focused on acquiring more robust equipment with SSD solid state hard drives while increasing our spending, since we spent a large part of the storage in the cloud.

Pros:

What we liked the most was the amount of storage it offered per user. We were also impressed that it comes bundled with our office 356 and email solution. Additionally, together with the Share point tool, its use is optimized.

Cons:

I particularly don't like that it is not a highly adopted solution by third parties. Many of our customers and business partners use Google Drive and not One Drive services. This makes file sharing and collaboration not totally transparent.

Ali
Ali
Information Technology Adviser in Azerbaijan
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Your files above your head on the clouds with OneDrive!

Comments: If you need a simple and functional software with all the features for backup in the clouds, Microsoft OneDrive is your answer. Working with Andes is very enjoyable and simple.

Pros:

Transferring personal files and photos with OneDrive is very simple. Microsoft knows how to simplify complex software and at the same time be very fast, smart and powerful with highest security features. All our personal and organization files are stored in Microsoft Safe Clouds via OneDrive. In sending files with large sizes, all you have to do is attach the file link to the person via OneDrive or attach the file from there. Also now Backing up files is very simple now via OneDrive. Extremely simple and very smart in doing things and very smart and fast backup.

Cons:

Features such as link expiration after a specific date or password for files are very important and must be added to this platform.

Claude Real
Business analyst and graphic designer in Canada
Graphic Design Software, Self Employed

Great cloud storage but lacks storage capacity

Comments: Overall my experience with OneDrive is great and I would definitely recommend for people with low storage needs, but if someone needs more storage capacities, Apple iCloud and Google Drive offers more options on storage capacities.

Pros:

OneDrive is a wonderful cloud storage option. Its security is strong and you can easily manage the permissions on your contents. Also it integrates very great with all Microsoft softwares and devices, even on Android, iOS and MacOS.

Cons:

OneDrive is limited to a maximum of 1TB storage capacity, therefore if you're a graphic designer or someone working with other graphic content like me, you'll find that capacity very low and will probably have to look for other cloud storage option like I did. Also, if like me you have to use linux on occasion you will find very anoying to be forced to go to OneDrive via the web browser because Microsoft still refuses to create a linux version of OneDrive Desktop.

Andressa
administração in Portugal
Automotive, Self Employed

Need more free space

3.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: I use ONE DRIVE a lot.
I save all my photos and files.
However, I think there could be some improvements.
Mainly with the issue of storage space.

Pros:

It allows the storage of files, images and documents.

Cons:

The downside is the limited free storage space.

Samantha
Contract home healthcare manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 2–10 Employees

OneDrive the only Drive

Comments: My over all satisfaction to one drive isits the best I've found yet .

Pros:

It's everything I need in one, from sending pics to transferring files plus it has an automatic back up in case if something happens it is saved

Cons:

The cost it took to purchase the software

Margie
Paralegal in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

What I like about OneDrive

Comments: I use it daily. I like that I can access it from anywhere and that it syncs automatically.

Pros:

I like that it is part of my Microsoft 365 subscription and is not any additional charge. It has a lot of space to use and even more for storage and automatically syncs and backs up for me.

Cons:

I was not a big fan to start because I was used to another service. So the transfer of files was not very smooth, in fact some files were completely lost.

Jacklyn
managing attorney in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Great Product

Pros:

I like that OneDrive is very easy to deploy. I'm comfortable that all of my data is securely backed up, and I like that I can access it from anywhere! All around great product.

Cons:

It can be a little difficult to find older versions of documents.

Archindra Nath
Manager in India
Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

Satisfactory and helpful

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: I think onedrive future is satisfied me but not so good to used in all the field.of software

Pros:

In this app l like there file sharing and Microsoft 365 version, and I e important things is that data storage is good.

Cons:

The access of control and permission is not so good and anybody can crake this.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 501–1,000 Employees

The best cloud service

Comments: I have been using it since college, and I still have access to all my important documentation

Pros:

I use it daily to keep my documents saved and updated. It helps me to organize all my daily tasks and objectives

Cons:

If you don’t clearly remember the location of a document, it is not easy to find it

Luca
Software Engineer in Italy
Pharmaceuticals, 10,000+ Employees

OneDrive secure your data

Comments: I really like the experience using OneDrive, the amount of space grant us the possibility to securely store and sync data between devices.

Pros:

I like the amount of storage provided by the company contract with microsft (1TB) and the possibility to sync data between devices.

Cons:

Data research is not always so quick, and result come out after a while. Another thing to improve is the experience on IoS devices

Max
Max
Manager, Professional Services & IT in US
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

You probably already are paying for Office 365, so might as well take advantage of OneDrive

Comments: Our business, like most businesses I image, relay on MS Office products for day to day work. This OneDrive product comes with those products that are already being used in Office365. There really is no downside to not using this product if you already have Office365. It is easy to use like Dropbox and easy to share files with others in your organization.

Pros:

This product comes free with a large 1TB of storage with Office 365 that every business uses anyways. Even if you have GSuite, chances are that you are also paying for MS Office. GSuite's Google Drive has a unique and frustrating (for new users or long time Windows users) method for syncing files. OneDrive's storage method is more inline with the user friendly DropBox. You can also edit Office files and OneNote inside OneDrive.

Cons:

The client for Mac needs a special type of drive format. You need to have the drive formatted in a case sensitive format for the client to work. This can sometimes require IT to setup a separate partition on user's mac just for OneDrive to sync.

Aaron
Aaron
Chief Operating Officer in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Revolutionized Our Company's File Sharing

Comments: Our company has been able to share files remotely with confidence that they will be secure. Because OneDrive is very intuitive/familiar, it is easy to implement with all of our employees.

Pros:

The ease of use, security, and richness of features makes using OneDrive a no-brainer. I love the auto-save feature in particular which has saved my bacon a number of times from losing data or full documents. Being able to share documents, spreadsheets, presentations, PDF's, and images with anyone anywhere at anytime is hugely convenient. It's also very fast - no perceptible difference most times between accessing something from the local drive and the cloud.

Cons:

There's not an easy to find FAQ or how-to that I am aware of when you open OneDrive. It seems to me that there could be an automated walkthrough or even a help file that would reveal ways to better use OneDrive.

Shenali
Undergraduate in Sri Lanka
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Review on Microsoft OneDrive

Comments: I consider OneDrive as Microsoft's reply to Apple's iCloud and Google Drive. OneDrive's functionality and unique design have reached a point of heavy usability and reliability among people with a rich feature set, online office apps, and wide platform support. The best thing is that OneDrive supports attractive and capable web and mobile interfaces, real-time coediting, music streaming, photo AI, and powerful search. OneDrive's service's amazing integration with Windows 10 and Office 365 along with its finishing, maturity, and polish holds it up high. This software not only deserves a 5-star rating but also be named Best Designed Software of all time. Hats off to the Microsoft Team!

Pros:

This software is very easy to purchase, install and use. It is handy in sharing documents, configuring sharing restrictions, and audit sharing activity. There are two verisons given out by Microsoft. OneDrive and OneDrive for Business. Both these versions allow the access of your data through a specific folder on your pc, a mobile app or through Microsoft's website. There is quite a difference when you compare these two versions. OneDrive is mostly comes pre-installed on Windows based pcs and are used for personal activities. OneDrive for Business is included with most of Office 365 subscriptions and comes with ample storage. I just love both versions and have successfully used both versions for my personal activities as well as office work.

Cons:

There is simply nothing negative about this software that crosses my mind. It's simply one of Microsoft's greatest outputs.

Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Enterprise storage with a business price tag

Comments: quick to set up, easy to manage at the admin level. Permissions are simple and applied globally and data is protected and synced, so what else can you ask for.

Pros:

It's quick, cross-compatible with Mac/PC and a range of other devices. Fully accessible from mobile and tablet. Integrates seamlessly with MS Office products and plugs in with many other collaboration tools easily. It also has the capability to run personal and business versions simultaneously allowing separation of data.

Cons:

Had a few issues with naming resolution of files that were previously held in google drive but ultimately moving was one of the mid to long-term benefits so worth biting the bullet here.

Emir
Emir
Expert Associate in Bosnia
Telecommunications, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Nice tool for Cloud backup but has some issues

Comments: I use it as part of my 365 subscription. When you look at this tool overall it usable as a part of Microsoft 365 ecosystem. But if you dig deeper into features and options issues start to occur. It draws power from 365 users base not by it's own features and options.

Pros:

Well the software is functional to a degree. I found it easy to set up for basic usage, syncing some folders on pc on regular plain usage. Logging from office.com portal and accessing documents and files is also a great value. Sharing file with company and outside of company users is cool with cool predefined options which are helpfull.

Cons:

There is no advanced options for upload control. Few users can easily saturate internet connection. Also when you migrate user folder on windows pc to another drive numerous issues raised. Also i had few issues where files would not simply upload to OneDrive even when connections is 300/100Mb. There is no linux client which is forcing users to other services like Dropbox and GoogleDrive. Android versions work better then Windows 10.

Bradley
Academic Systems Coordinator in US
Higher Education Software, 51–200 Employees

Essential for Cloud Storage and a successful workflow.

Comments: Overall, I find OneDrive to be a very reliable service. Over the years, MS continues to improve and incorporate new features in their software packages. I trust that my data is safe and secure in the hands of MS. I do think they could improve by allowing images from your personal OneDrive to be hosted on other sites.

Pros:

OneDrive Personal is free for all users that sign up and are given 5GB of storage. Storage capacity can be expanded with prices starting at $1.99 a month. It is very easy to share data and assign permissions to your files and folders. Syncing your data with the app allows effortless uploading. Another cool feature is OneDrive's ability to detect your most frequently used files and then making those files readily available on your PC - while your less used files are kept in the cloud. The purpose of this feature is to save storage on you PC but also allows for faster access of those you use more. OneDrive for Business offers all the features of Personal but you are given a larger capacity from start. OneDrive FileVault is another cool feature that MS has recently added. With the FileVault you can store a limited amount of files in a folder that is password protected.

Cons:

Some of the downsides to uploading documents to OneDrive include the rejection of special characters in the file name. It does notify you of files that do not upload and to fix this, all you do is change the name but if dealing with a large number of files, this can be an inconvenience. Also, uploading large files, over 1GB can take a long time and if your connection is lost, you must start over.

Jarvis
Jarvis
CEO in US
Logistics & Supply Chain, 2–10 Employees

One Solution: One Drive

Comments: Overall I like that my team and I can upload and share files, documents, and proposals remotely in real-time reducing wasting upload times. We can make changes and the other time member can review changes instantly. It has allowed us to really make our business mobile and we can work from home or on the subway or even driving cross country with one of our drivers.

Pros:

I like the ease of use and the ability to open and access files from any device such as PC, Phone, Tablet etc. I also like how its real time as well.

Cons:

I don't see or come across anything that I didn't really like or enjoy about the software it exceeded my expectations 10 fold.

Marcius
Entrepreneur in Romania
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Stuck with it - for better or worse

Comments: The only file-storage that I can actually use with my Windows 10 in S Mode laptop. Sure, I know I can exit the S mode, but for security purposes I keep it on. And yet, OneDrive is my only option as an app. I still use the web version option of other tools, but it's not the same since they lack the sync functionality. At least it's pretty cheap considering you get all the other Microsoft 365 tools. And you can find discounts in online stores than using the renewal option. So for better or worse, I'm stuck with it, it's there and I'm using it. But in all seriousness, it works good and gets the job done. And it's something essential I just gotten used to using. I wouldn't have picked it on it's own, but as a bundle with the other apps, it's a great deal and has a great synergy with them.
I see it mostly as a document management tool. And it can be the only one needed for most people.

Pros:

The best feature of OneDrive is the synchronization with all other Microsoft 365 tools and apps. It works great for that purpose and really makes my workflow go smooth and simple. And together there are a ton of features and combinations, which if you like options, you'll get them here. I use it mostly for work document management, not for large file storages like videos or photos. So it's mostly for the paperwork side of work. There are a lot of features for this, and using it in conjunction with the other apps, makes the features even more. So this is both a good thing and a bad thing (as it can get overwhelming).

Cons:

There are so many features of this and synchronizing it with other tools that it's overwhelming. I still don't know everything it does and how it could all work together after years of using it. And sometimes it's confusing because I accidentally do something, and it does something I didn't expect, then I don't know how to make it back, so I end up watching youtube video tutorials on fixing it or figuring it out. Yet I can't be mad for all the extra features, but maybe the lack of intuitiveness of them all. Another con is that this mostly works if you're just a Windows user. Sure, you can use the web version on linux, but it ain't the same. Yet linux is over-looked and under-used, so I'm not surprised. Sometimes it has bugs, like syncing not working correctly, or upload not appearing. It's no big deal, but for such a huge company to have such petty bugs, it's a little underwhelming. And we all know that Microsoft always takes it's sweet time fixing the bugs.

Alex
System Analysis in Canada
Construction, 51–200 Employees

Worth taking advantage of if you have it

Comments: Using OneDrive has overall been a positive experience for our company. Most users have found it has been a improvement to their work flow and it has presented new solutions to old problems.

Pros:

Generous amount of cloud space that was included with our Microsoft Exchange 365 email hosting. Has been a reliable replacement for both our company's self hosted personal network drive folders as well as our FTP services. Offered many additional advantages such as easy capacity to share large files, reduce the amount of files being shared via email, and introduction of version control. Compared to our old network drive folders the OneDrive makes saving faster and more convenient since files are first saved locally then uploaded to the cloud in the background. The ability to synchronize a computers desktop, documents, and picture folder means our users don't have to save to a specific folder to ensure their files are being backed-up to the cloud, and starting work on a new workstation is much simpler since all of there files will be automatically retrieved from the cloud.

Cons:

There is a huge difference in features available to users using Windows 7 and Windows 10. Windows 10 offers a much more integrated version of OneDrive that includes the ability keep files stored on the cloud but still visible in the PC file structure. At this point the majority of our company's computer are now using Windows 10 when we first started using OneDrive it was more difficult for Windows 7 users to adjust. The delay between saving a file and it being uploaded has made some collaboration efforts not a seamless as they could be.

Juliet
Blogger in South Africa
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

One Drive as Your Primary File Storage Tool on Windows.

Comments: The best thing about OneDrive is that it integrates with Windows so you can easily save your files to the cloud without any extra steps. OneDrive cloud storage service is backed up, secure and protected. You can start free while you get 5 GB which is not bad if you're just starting out. You can always move to a paid version if you need more space. The integration of other apps such Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel make it super easy to use having all these apps in one place.

Pros:

OneDrive is a cloud-based storage service that allows you to store your files online. You can access them from anywhere as long as you have an internet connection. Another advantage I found with using OneDrive, is that it syncs your files automatically and provides offline access. Even if you are not offline, you can still work on your documents. It also has file versioning built-in and unlimited storage space for those who need it. OneDrive has the ability to store large documents and the storage space is about 250 Gigs which is more than enough for most people. With this app, you also get other apps included like Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.

Cons:

The one downside of OneDrive is that it doesn't provide a way to sync external drives or flash drives like Dropbox does, so if you are someone who needs to transfer large amounts of data, this might not be the best service for you.

Nathan
Nathan
Director, Management Information Systems in US
Public Policy, 11–50 Employees

Perfect Cloud Storage

Comments: No more VPN connections to the corporate network in order to access office files on a server, as now files are in the cloud on Microsoft's servers. Using Azure AD Connect to synch usernames and passwords with the local domain, users have an SSO experience even while utilizing the full benefits of cloud-based file storage.

Pros:

You can access your files from anywhere you have access to the Internet. The latest updates allow you store all your files in the cloud while having access to them from your PC through Windows Explorer, too, allowing access to them from within every application. However, they take up no space on your hard drive until you open them--brilliant! So if you have a small SDD drive on your laptop, problems with storage space just got solved. After you've worked with the file, simply return it to the cloud and free up your hard drive space again. Need to share a file or folder with someone? That's a cinch, as you create a share link from within Windows or through the OneDrive interface on the web, choosing to allow editing or read only access, as well as whether the link should expire after a certain period of time. Sharing a link to a document means your recipient can access the latest version whenever the link is clicked. If you work on the file through Office 365, then the collaborative opportunities are opened, as you can work on a file together. OneDrive is perfectly integrated into all Office 365 apps as well as Windows 10 itself (just make sure to have the latest version of Windows installed to take advantage of OneDrive's latest innovations). One last trick OneDrive does is to preview some file types even if the associated app is not installed (browser only).

Cons:

While it will back up files you explicitly place in your machine's OneDrive folder, by copying them to the cloud, it does not perform system backups. So if you want system backups to be in the cloud on OneDrive, you will need to run them with a system backup utility and then copy them to OneDrive (depending on your backup utility, you might be able to automate writing backup copy to OneDrive).

Caitlin
Caitlin
occupational therapist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

OneDrive simplifies Microsoft file sharing and storage

Comments: I must admit I was reluctant at first because I am a Type A control freak and someone else doing the driving made me nervous about the mistakes and headaches. That hasn't happened. When I say it hasn't happened, I mean it hasn't happened one time. I use Office as my everyday life and it is incredible that with the amount of data for research for journal articles, my protocols and information regarding training, all of the outside work I do with volunteer groups, etc. that things don't mix themselves up, get lost, or have files get lost. In the past I have had external hard drives have sector failures. This eliminates that and I now rely on it. I am waiting for the day where all of our computer interactions can merge formatting for one seamless interaction but for now, of all of the cloud products I use, this by far is the best.

Pros:

When you are working with a Microsoft product, OneDrive takes on the process of doing the work for you once you tell it to. It will back up your information to the cloud, auto save your edits, allow you to give other people access to any particular files and then allow you to allow or deny them edit access. Much of this is capable of being done through Mark-up, etc. but with OneDrive it is occurring in real time and you do not have to send, wait for the response, edit, and then send again. You are able to create a portfolio of a folder that contains multiple files so coworkers or coauthors can locate the various areas and make edits as needed while you work on a different aspect. Plus, when the inevitable screen of death occurs, those last second back-ups that never made it to your external hard drive are saved in the cloud as OneDrive truly is backing up every single thing you do.

Cons:

There is a little difficulty for some less computer oriented coworkers to understand seeing duplicate files listed- one set on OneDrive and then also on desktop. I try to explain to them to think about their computer being attached to a box outside the computer that is also storing the same info in case it gets lost. That typically helps a lot. The other thing that is challenging is when you toggle it on, you have it writing the memory of the file in real time, so if you want to play around with edits and not have them saved, you have to remember to toggle it off, or create a separate file.

Richard
Richard
Senior Business Analyst in US
Utilities, 1,001–5,000 Employees

OneDrive is Amazing

Comments: We needed a way to offload our internal storage to a cloud environment. We were looking into Office 365 already for Teams and Exchange Online, and OneDrive was a piece of that offering. It completely met our needs and included added functionality which was an added bonus. OneDrive has made working remotely, whether on vacation or business, much more simple.

Pros:

I love that I can access my documents anywhere on any device. I don't have to VPN to get behind my company's firewall if I'm out of the office. I can hop on my personal laptop, or better yet on my phone or tablet to access my docs and start working. It makes working remotely on the road much easier. I can also share my documents with others both in and outside of my organization without emailing a copy. I can grant them permission to edit a doc located in my OneDrive folder. It's made collaboration much easier, especially if you're not using SharePoint or another file storage application. But really, if you're using OneDrive, you're using SharePoint. It's just another option of how to share and collaborate.

Cons:

Some of the settings can get tricky. Administrators have a lot of power to lock down OneDrive. In fact, they can restrict access altogether on any device other than your registered machine. We went really strict at first with our administration, and then let up as we got into the full capabilities and functionality. We also have a setting currently enabled where our managers automatically have access to our documentation, which isn't great. We just ne

Kory
Systems Administrator in US

OneDrive For Business - Works okay, can be buggy

Pros:

Most of our end users use this product in our environment. I like the ability to synchronize SharePoint team sites / document libraries. It eliminates the need to have to open a browser to look at files that are hosted out on SharePoint. By using this App, it makes uploading / deleting / renaming files easier than having to do it through the browser as well. If you haven't used OneDrive or OneDrive For Business before, it works much like Dropbox / Google Drive, so anyone who has used either of these other products in the past will be familiar with how to use OneDrive.

Cons:

Probably my two biggest complaints / cons with OneDrive are this: 1.) There are separate Apps for OneDrive / OneDrive For Business. I think one unified app would make this better, but for now, I guess we are stuck with two. The only benefit to this, at least in our environment, is that since we have an external SharePoint (hosted with Office 365) and an internal SharePoint which is hosted on premises, it is easier to have users use OneDrive for Office 365 and OneDrive For Business for our internal SharePoint. The other pain is that the software can be buggy. People will have problems with files / folders synchronizing and the error messages that pop up are very vague, most of the time, the only troubleshooting step is to stop synching the libraries and resync them. It does seem to work better now that we have upgraded to SharePoint 2016 and Windows 10 / Office 2016. If you are thinking of implementing this in your environment, be sure to read the list of acceptable file names, characters, etc. as our users have had issues because they are using unsupported characters in file names, causing synch issues.

Andrew
Center IT Support Engineer in US
Information Technology & Services, 5,001–10,000 Employees

They got it right this time

Comments: I honestly hated it when we first launch it several years ago, the software was cumbersome and more of a pain to deal with than it needed to be. After the features listed in "Pros" was implemented for them, things drastically improved. Right now, the amount of time and headache this program saves is immense for our department. I would not be able to do my current job with such a small team were it not for this...it truly is a lifesaver!

Pros:

Let me say that OneDrive has made MANY strides in its quality since it started off as renamed Microsoft Groove. Features added later on were automatic backup of Desktop, Documents, and other user folders...sign-in with email address/pass only, integration into Windows 10 natively, a truly helpful document error resolution menu, and access to documents from anywhere using your web browser. I know saying "it works" isn't really a feature, but in the early days it flat out didn't. The amount of syncing errors has gone WAY down and is overall a much smoother experience. Documents also upload/download a lot faster than they used to. All in all, it has come a long way since the genesis of it, but as of today it's sitting pretty.

Cons:

The common complaints from users is how clunky it can be with MS Office application integration. Cloud storage of documents and working in them locally can mean things saving/editing with lockups depending on the document size and network bandwidth. Perhaps something a little less jarring for users who think there is something wrong with their computer would mitigate it. Assigning permissions still has to be done via the web browser from what I've seen. Something simpler, running in the native application but integrated with our business directory would be much nicer and easier for document/folder sharing.