15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Google Docs

Web-based app designed to store, create, and edit spreadsheets and documents online. Templates, charting and commenting are available.

Learn more about Google Docs

Pros:

This is a ubiquitous tool to create and share secure and free documents. It provides most of the prominent features of MS Office365 without the subscription fee.

Cons:

When my internet is bad, it get stuck and I can’t type anymore. When you live in the mountains thats frustrated sometimes.

Google Docs ratings

4.7
4.3
4.5
4.8

9.2/10

Google Docs has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 28,162 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Google Docs before?

Filter reviews (28,161)

Karin
Karin
Executive Director in US
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Google Docs is the gold standard of team document creation

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Producing plays requires a huge amount of team work. Collaborating on cast lists, costume inventories, prop plots, set designs and more are made far easier using Google docs. It's so easy to have all parties able to work on the same document, seamlessly, adding comments, tracking versions and seeing who commented what using tags

Cons:

Offline editing gets a little tricky for those with multiple accounts but overall it's great

Josh
Teacher in US
E-Learning, 501–1,000 Employees

Essential Document Creation/Sharing

5.0 last month New

Comments: Google Docs allows me to do so many things in an easy, collaborative fashion. It's hard to think of a time when I didn't use it, but I know that my organization, productivity, and collaboration have all improved in that time. Google has done a very nice job with this product, and they are always rolling out new features and quality-of-life improvements.

Pros:

Every single thing about Google Docs is collaborative, and that is a must-have feature nowadays. All work is automatically saved, the revision history allows me to look back through every single keystroke, and there are so many collaborative features that allow me to work with colleagues in a variety of ways. All documents can easily be shared, copied, and modified in quick fashion. I honestly like everything about this product!

Cons:

There isn't much to dislike here. If pressed, I guess that I would say that there could be more template options to work with, but that is a very minor complaint. Everything about this product seems well thought out.

Human Resources, 10,000+ Employees

Certainly performing well...

Comments: While the program isn't perfect, Google Docs is by far the most easily accessible and widely used word editing programs. It excels at what it needs to do, but lacks on what it could do.

Pros:

To start, Docs get's everything you need done. Editing, typing, sharing—it's all easily done. In a school or work environment, the commenting mode and ability to share documents easily makes working extremely efficient. In comparison, a traditional document editor would require you to manually send the file, have the other party edit it, then send it back. In docs, being able to instantly see any edits or comments another person makes is a huge time-saver. Docs is also extremely compatible with other types of files, and even can transcribe PDF files. It's also capable of converting your current doc into other formats, which is helpful since you won't have to use a third-party website/application to do so. While being a common feature in other editing programs, the auto save feature is handy, as it saves every time a change is made, even if it's just a single letter. On top of that, Docs also stores previous versions of your document, which I personally found very useful when back-referencing older revisions of essays and other papers. Lastly, Docs runs constant grammar and spelling checks, which is great for when you are typing in a rush and misspell a word or type something out awkwardly. Not only that, but the detection is always improving, and is even able to detect proper nouns (like names) and recognize that they aren't spelled wrong because they are meant to be spelled that way.

Cons:

Despite it's strengths, Google Docs holds a few annoying points. A major disappointment lies in the lack of font support. While some of the major, non-standard fonts like IBM Plex Sans are available, a majority of the fonts that are available aren't well-known or widely used, which led me to using the same 4-5 fonts over and over again. There is no option to add third-party fonts either, which isn't ideal for those of us that have a selection of them on our computers. Despite Doc's simple design, it's actually a huge resource hog for both internet bandwidth and RAM. While it may not be noticeable on a decent computer, it's especially noticeable on computers that aren't from the last 4 years or so. Loading Docs onto my laptop from a few years ago brought it to its knees, and forced me to use an alternative. While Docs has plenty of shortcuts for its most commonly used tools, not every tool has a shortcut. On top of that, there are no options to bind our own shortcuts to a tool, which is a huge problem for those of us that have to write heavily formatted, non-traditional styled documents. Lastly, table creation and editing in Docs is still yet to be ideal. Each line in a table is treated as a separate line, meaning that you have to either edit each line or all the lines at once, which makes it inconvenient to create visually appealing tables.

Jamie
Onboarding Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Best folder and document management system

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Google Docs is the best document keeper and creator. It has made it so easy for me to share folders with clients and collab with them on their work - totally recommend.

Pros:

It is so easy to share folders, whether that's adding others to it or sending people the link! I love how you can search the name of the doc on your search engine and it comes up! I think the best feature on google docs is how you can see real time updates from other people editing the document - it is so great for collaboration. And, I do not even need clients to turn in the documents to me - because I can see them! I also love how it saves all your changes live!

Cons:

I have been using google docs forever and have no complaints.

Mariella
Writer in Qatar
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Definitely My Personal Favorite Google App

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: I really love and use Google Docs pretty much everyday, whether I find the need to do quick perusals in the stories I wrote or editing some documents which I can possibly do both online and offline. I really appreciate how I can definitely edit my documents offline and just have the changes applied once I am back online.

Pros:

The first time I used this is back when I was a doing a paper with my classmates in my university and I appreciate how we simply don't need to justify our contributions because the history will simply show it. I appreciate it even more when I write my stories because I can even change the color of the paper that is said to help it easier to write even more. It is still my favorite Google App up to date and has never left my phone app list ever since.

Cons:

There are honestly none because I truly love Google Docs and how convenient it is whether using it for personal purposes or even in professional matters. I love how it is pretty straight forward and you don't need to be tech-savvy to be able to use it.

Melissa
Pest control Technician in US
Environmental Services, 2–10 Employees

Administrative assistant at my fingertips

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: It has helped me run my business. All of my documents look professional and I have gotten a lot of good ideas from the examples and the templates they have

Pros:

The templates and the suggestions when putting a document together have been very helpful.They really do have something for every business situation

Cons:

It is very tough to speak with somebody.If you have a technical issue navigating through a problem is a bit aggravating.

Andy
Director in UK

Viable alternative to Microsoft Word

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: I've enjoyed using Google Docs I think its a good product.

Pros:

I like that the sharing and collaboration features are so powerful, it integrates well with Google Drive and Google Workspace.

Cons:

I think that they could do a better job of providing a better range of templates that could be deployed and previewed more easily.

Themba
Themba
General worker in South Africa
Education Management, 201–500 Employees

Google docs

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Since i started using this app I've never lost data or my comics docs, its been 4years now i still have my old stuff safe..thanks google

Cons:

To be honest guys nothing wrong about this app its perfect, I'm using it and it's been years now i never came across any boring errors never!!!

Angela
Angela
Owner in US
Retail, Self Employed

Google Docs Keeps Me Organized

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: My overall experience has been amazing I don't know what I do without it it's one of the many things that keeps me organized in this crazy technologically savvy world.

Pros:

And what I like most is the fact that Google docs is basically the same thing as Google Word they do pretty much the same thing, so it gives me another option when word isn't working for me.

Cons:

My least favorite thing about Google docs is that sometimes it's hard for me to find things that I've recently saved to the folder

Kalina
Kalina
Freelance and Human resources in US
Consumer Goods, Self Employed

Maintain Documents and Files With Google Docs

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, one of the best storage sites for my files I have ever used. A must try for anyone, business or not.

Pros:

I would say the things I like most when it comes to using Google Docs is the storage your get to keep your files, the simplicity of navigating the site and the pricing.

Cons:

I don't have any negatives to say about Google Docs.

Madony
business manager in Brazil
Pharmaceuticals, 2–10 Employees

A office solution wherever you are.

Comments: In general, google docs meets almost all of my needs, mainly document sharing and group editing. The integration with other google and android applications make google docs an indispensable tool for me today. Although I still think that other office suites have advantages over google docs, in the general assessment, google docs is still my first choice.

Pros:

What i like most about google docs is the possibility to edit my files anywhere and be able to share them in a simple and practical way. I also like the option to save my photos and files in the cloud without having to worry about disk space on my pc. I also like the option of doing everything on the same platform and integrating my documents with goolgle tools. Best of all, I don't have to pay for it.

Cons:

What I don't really like is the dependency that Google Docs has on the internet. If I am in a place where the internet connection is faulty or insufficient, google docs become impracticable. Another bad thing is that it is not always possible to have all the functions of microsoft excell or microsoft word in Google docs and this can be quite disappointing.

E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

It's Google Docs. You know how good it is!

Comments: Love it! Love it! Love it! I have been using it with my business for the past 8 years. Google Docs is great.

Pros:

I assume by now everyone knows about Google Docs. It is one of a handful of tools that don't require non-users to login to use it. This makes it easy to collaborate with others, share key info with investors/advisors, and not have to give them another username and password to remember.

Cons:

When you login and have more than one open account, it keeps asking you which account you're trying to use. There should be a way to prevent that from occurring every time.

Matthew
Software Developer in Jamaica
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Completely Free and Highly Recommended Document Software

Comments: My overall experience using Google Docs has been a very good one. This software is easy to use, integrates well using a web browser, has a pleasant interface, has an excellent spell check feature, features a good compatibility with Google Drive and is completely free. I highly recommend this software to every student, small business owner and to anyone who wants to type a document comfortably.

Pros:

By far one of the best things about this software is that it is completely free to use across different devices. Your desktop computer, tablet or smartphone can easily be transformed into a highly effective productive tool with Google Docs. Documents can be accessed online or edited offline with the feature to upload documents to Google Drive where it can be accessed across devices. If Google Docs is used in a web browser it is automatically saved in Google Drive. Google Docs also as the option to share files with other users with the option to allow those you share the document with to edit the document. This is an awesome tool for collaborative work such as assignments or a group project. This is very much convenient for those on the go or for those who have specific preferences when it comes to the device they prefer to use. This software has a whole range of fonts. It also has tables and formatting tools that can be used in your document. You can insert pictures, diagrams, adjust line spacing, bookmarks and utilize offline mode. Also there is the option to talk instead of type which is super convenient for those you prefer voice typing and for those who love to multi task as well as those who may have certain disabilities. It also allows the user to utilize shortcuts such as Ctrl + C (PC) to paste and Ctrl + B (PC) to bold an item within the document. As if that was not enough Google Docs also allows you save a document as a pdf.

Cons:

There are some slight challenges to share documents outside of the google network but overall this is a pretty impressive software.

Melissa
Director of Marketing in Guatemala
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Our new go to...

Comments: Love. We use it every day and over the past three years we have been brining more and more of our team into the Google workspace. In a few more years we plan to have google as the center of all our operations!

Pros:

I love that Google Docs is online. I can collaborate with colleges and see the work they are doing. Our documents are automatically saved and stored online...no more lost files! Our older team members just don't want to learn new software, but we like that Word documents can be automatically converted to google docs for the rest of the team to work on. Great feature. I work in Guatemala so people are a bit behind on technology...I am working on training and bring the rest of our organization into the Google space over the coming two years.

Cons:

There are still some things are are just easier on my Apple Pages or Word programs, especially in certain formatting/design areas. It is hard to get our older team members to take the time to learn how to use it so they just keep uploading Word files instead...but as I mentioned above, Google has a great feature to convert Word files to Google docs!

Andrea
Education Director in US
Entertainment, 11–50 Employees

Easy On the Go Document Software!

Comments: Overall, I love Google Docs' accessibility and ease of use. It's grown a lot since it was first introduced, so even my current "cons" may eventually become moot. Google always strives for greatness and for reliability with its products, so the trust in this product is there.

Pros:

I love that Google Docs is really intuitive - if you know MS Word, you can easily adapt to Google Docs. Plus, you can easily access Google Docs from anywhere: your computer, your cell phone, etc. This comes in handy when off-site and needing to access an important document or contract - or draft one up - in a matter of minutes! The self-saving feature is also incredibly handy so you do not have to worry about losing your work. I can create a professional looking document - whether on my own, or through a template - in minutes. It's that easy.

Cons:

As someone who uses both MS Word and Google Docs, I will admit there are a few features that MS Word possesses that Google Docs doesn't: more font options, more advanced formatting features, etc. If I convert a Word Doc to Google Docs for storage, let's say, there are times where I lose formatting because it is not supported in Google Docs.

Kunal
Owner in Australia
Legal Services, Self Employed

Better than Microsoft Word

Comments: Very very very good. No complaints. Will recommend to everyone.

Pros:

Comes free with my Google Workspace, no hassles. Easy to use, can work from anywhere, anytime on any device. Has all the features (or may be even more) than Microsoft word.

Cons:

There was nothing to not like about Google Docs. I can always trust Google products and Google Docs was no exception. 10/10 for me.

Nathaniel
student in US
Higher Education Software, 11–50 Employees

Students, Colleagues, and Teams Unite!

Comments: Google Docs revolutionized the way that I was able to study and manage projects. My story: In an accelerated Nursing program I convinced more than half of the class to study and create notes for exams together on the same template in google docs. It cut the work by 80%!!! Say hello to collaboration 101 in this amazing tool. We, like-minded folk with a singular purpose, were able to divide and conquer. This led to honesty issues but thankfully Google Docs allows for you to see all past edits and who performed them. Thus by the end of the first quarter classmates were able to hold each other accountable for the work that needed to be input into this document. All in all this was an invaluable resource to me and the best part is that I still have access to all of the shared work online. If i ever need to look back upon the classwork that we did together I can review some advanced physiology or pharmacology on the run with my phone or tablet.

Pros:

My favorite features include: FREE Seamless information sharing Auto save (so you never lose information) Accountability via History of past edits Ability to restore documents (in case someone accidentally deletes everything from top to bottom) Ability to review documents offline Full versatility with images, text editing, font, and real time viewing of work being edited Mobile device access for review and edits on the go Ability to see who is on the document to chat and discuss subject material or project deadlines

Cons:

There are very few cons to this software: First: you can only edit information if you have a google account. (But this is so easy to setup and most people already have a google email address so its almost never a problem.) Second: There could be preset templates so that the information being added would auto format to make everything appear uniform.

Writing & Editing, 51–200 Employees

Fantastic document management software for teams

Comments: If you like working in a team, and you will not necessarily deal with difficult documents, try the text editor included in the Google Docs service. On a regular basis, any changes are saved directly to the Google cloud, so you can be sure that nothing will be lost. And finally, Google Docs is an absolutely free - as opposed to an extensive, yet somewhat expensive, Office software.

Pros:

I love in Google Docs previewing and saving changes in real time - there is no situation, that I forget to save something and close the document or turn off the computer - everything is automatically saved. I also like a simple system of comments or history of changes in the document - this tool really shines when the participants of the document are far apart, but want to be sure that the work on the document will be carried out well and efficiently. The text editor from Google also works well in "solo" scenarios when I want to write simpler documents than bachelor's or master's thesis. It is worth pointing out that Google Docs is not offered as part of a computer application - it is only possible in the browser. On the one hand, this is a disadvantage, but for users of alternative operating systems it can be a huge advantage - it depends on our individual preferences. The more I work with Google Docs, the more I appreciate features that some people may not even know about it. For example, it is possible to insert a picture into a document not only from a disk, as in a standard editor, but directly from the Internet by pasting a link. In Doc's, you can also insert a map via Google Maps, which can sometimes be really helpful. There is also changes suggesting in Google Docs. I can suggest changes to the document without editing the original text. If the owner approves my suggestions, they will replace the original text.

Cons:

As I mention before, Google Doc works in our browser. Obviously, we can't edit documents, in the same way as we can do in programs that are created for this.

Google Docs: Get the Most Out of Your Meetings

Comments: I've been working with Google Docs for a few years now. It's easier than email (even though it's embedded right in my Gmail account) it helps with a collaborative environment. When you're a creative like me, it's really important that everyone is on the same page. I could go on and on about how great Google Docs is, but in the interest of time, I'll just say this: it's easily the best collaborative editing program I've used. And I work with dozens of programs in my line of work.

Pros:

Almost everyone has a Gmail account, and if you don't have one, it's free and simple to set one up. Google Docs makes it easy for me to share content with my clients, and vice versa. For example, I'm working on an annual report right now. My clients are waiting on updated copy from one of their copywriters, and since they're sharing content in the Google Doc, they can update it live and I can pull the content right from said-document, no need to wait on an email. If there's a discrepancy, I can just update the annual report with a simple copy + paste. It streamlines my workload and just makes everything easier.

Cons:

The con is actually a compliment. I'm totally fine with Google taking over the world (more so than it has already) if that means I get free fiber-internet. That being said, Google Docs is so secure that it's almost annoying. Actually, it is a little annoying. Sometimes firewalls can be a bit tricky to navigate if you're working with clients from foreign countries. Downloading docs from Google can be a bit tricky as sometimes their security system flags documents if it's from The Middle East, for example. It's easy enough to work around, but hopefully in the future they can streamline that to operate better.

Design, 2–10 Employees

Google Docs Rocks!

Comments: Overall there have been many benefits to using this program! I am usually connected to the internet so I have no issues with using Google Docs. It makes it easy to save work and send to other employees. I love that I don't have to worry about losing my work, and that it will always be saved.

Pros:

Google offers Google Docs as a free version of what is basically Microsoft Word. What I love most about the software is first off, that its free! To me that is a benefit, not having to pay for the software unlike Microsoft Word. Every single file that you make changes to in Docs automatically save to Google Drive every time you make a change, so if your computer for some reason crashes or shuts down, you can pick up exactly where you left off! This makes using Google Docs stress free and you don't have to constantly worry about saving your file or that the latest version of your file isn't saved. Google Drive stores each save as a separate revision, which means if you want to go back to a version you previously made you are able to do so. Google does not count Docs files toward your free space on Drive, so you can keep an unlimited number of documents and revisions - I love this feature!! Unlike Microsoft Word and most other alike software programs, Google Docs runs in a Web browser so you don't need to install software to run the program. Running Docs through the Internet makes it possible to work on any Internet or WIFI connected computer, but this presents a limitation: If you lose your Internet connection, you lose access to the program.

Cons:

Like I said previously, Google Docs runs completely from the Internet, which can cause some issues with the availability to access your files, but it also provides a way to save all of your changes so you never lose any of your work! If you are in a pinch and need access to your files and have no way of connecting to the internet it can make the situation stressful - this is my biggest issue with the software.

Jessica
Jessica
Every Job I've Ever Had - from the medical, legal, business, entertainment, and freelance industries in US
Higher Education Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

I CANNOT PRAISE GOOGLE DOCS ENOUGH

Comments: As stated before, I'd be remiss if I didn't share how absolutely integral this app has been in both my academic and professional development. Google Docs has been with me seemingly EVERY step of my academic and professional path and has played an absolute VITAL role in my experiences, accomplishments, and most importantly, my growth. It's been my go-to, number one, and uncontested app of choice to do anything with writing, documents, creativity, organization, and sharing among groups since I can honestly remember. In college, I wrote my most thought provoking and insightful papers with it. In grad school, it gave me the luxury of working on my assignments anywhere and at anytime, and not ONCE has it ever failed to save a project or crash or anything that can come with working or writing in other platforms. And during my job search, it's been my rock - I can adjust and tweak and create any document even on the go from my phone and be confident that all of my projects and documents will still be there if it turns off. Because of its unparalleled ease, user friendly interface, amiable features, functionality across every platform and synchronicity, life saving save feature, and use entirely FREE, I've had the life saving ability to complete tasks and write up documents wherever, whenever, with a reliability that so very few applications can promise. For that, I'm forever a champion and advocate of Google Docs and will stand in their corner for the rest of my life. Absolutely.

Pros:

Ok I seriously SERIOUSLY don't know where I'd be without Google alone, but Google Docs, that's a whole another level of deep seated appreciation and eternal gratitude. Google Docs has been with me seemingly EVERY step of my academic and professional path and has played an absolute VITAL role in my experiences, accomplishments, and most importantly, my growth. Because of its unparalleled ease, user friendly interface, amiable features, functionality across every platform and synchronicity, life saving save feature, and use entirely FREE, I've had the life saving ability to complete tasks and write up documents wherever, whenever, with a reliability that so very few applications can promise. For that, I'm forever a champion and advocate of Google Docs and will stand in their corner for the rest of my life. Absolutely.

Cons:

There's nothing I can complain about with Google Docs, not even if I tried. I'd be a liar if I dared to try and even remotely mar their undeniably virtuous app supporting endeavors.

Jeheen Mahmood
Jeheen Mahmood
Senior Data Analyst in Bangladesh
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Do we even need to discuss how cool this tool is?!!!

Comments: This is the backbone of our office admin work. We use it for collaborating with the clients, they review and comment on the docs before we can finalize and go for signing or live work. We use this for our meeting agendas and also for simple documentation and training.

Pros:

I like nearly everything about this tool. I can literally work from any computer, anywhere as long as I can access my Google Docs files. I worked on a few things during the last holidays, at the hotel we were staying (wife was not happy). I had an urgent task to review and I pulled up the files in a borrowed computer, finished the task, cleaned all history for security (it was a borrowed computer after all) and was off to the beach. Google docs provides a lot of extra add-ons which comes in really handy. Though most of the top shelf stuff are paid, not free like the Google docs itself. But they really make your life easier. And they are adding more functionality over time!

Cons:

Only downside I have found in my years of use is the files get sluggish if there is a lot of data. A desktop solution like MS Word opens up really fast and loads all the text and images/diagrams in a sec, but being a cloud app, Google doc takes a few seconds to respond if you have loaded tons of stuff in there. But that is unaviodable and I dont hold it against them. Another rare annoyance is the server issue. Again since it is a cloud service, the app can not be expected to be live 100% of the time. A couple years back it was getting more frequent, like multiple times in a month. But it is a lot more sable now. I havent seen such an error in months.

Mike
Product Manager - Consultant in Canada
Sports, 51–200 Employees

Easy To Get Started, Good Sharing Options, Great Collaboration, Less Feature Rich then Word

Comments: Overall the collaboration that Google Docs offers makes the product worth using in a team environment. It is very beneficial to work together at the same time on a document especially if you were working in a remote company or with people who are not all in the same room. I recommend taking the time to learn the UI and learn all of the features offered so that when you are working and trying to get something done you don't need to fight the software. The sharing options are very interesting as you can share inside and outside of your organization as well as with specific people. Also, one can assign sections of documents to other collaborators very quickly using the comment feature which is a major asset in terms of keeping everyone who's collaborating in a document held accountable. Google Docs excellent export features such as exporting to Microsoft Word or PDF with one click. I prefer Google Doc over s editing tools such as Microsoft Word online due to the fact that it is always been stable and reliable and the performance is good. Doc's makes collaboration easy - the concept of two people working on the same 'document' but not on the same file is ancient history thanks to Google Docs. If you are looking for a collaborative workspace to create contracts or help articles or anything that requires multiple people working on one document I would definitely give Google Docs a try.

Pros:

Google Docs makes it simple to input text and pictures, collaborate, and share documents amongst your organization. You can assign items to employees in your organization via comments, and keep up to date with changes made to any document! The versioning is fantastic to see changed what and when they changed it, and if mistakes are hard, the versions can be reverted. We use Google Docs to collocate on files when brainstorming, or writing up proposals. We also use google docs to draft up many items for our software developers and have collaborated with other companies on a shared doc to make projects more effective.

Cons:

The software is less feature-rich than MS Word. For example the tables not have the same functionality and cannot be as well manipulated, whereas with MS word there are many things that can be done with a table to make them completely adhere to your needs. Coming from a different product, it takes time to get used to and locate the different features in the editor. The editor is slightly more confusing than other competing products. The navigation within a document is not bad, however, there are other editors with more navigational tools, for when documents start getting very large. When a document is very large and contains multimedia objects such as pictures, it can take time to scroll through and access the doc in it's entirety when first going through it. Once loaded the document lag disappears and you can work with it seamlessly - this is just an issue on startup. Occasionally the software will crash and you need to refresh your browser however I have never lost any progress when this happens.

Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Great collaborative tool

Comments: I'm a convert to google docs especially as it's free for all.

Pros:

One of the best things about Google Docs is being able to work simultaneously on a document with another person who isn't physically present with you. You can see exactly what they are doing and use the document as a knowledge repository. If there are issues with the document you can easily look at what changes were made by which people and role back if needed.

Cons:

You need to be careful about creating duplicates of documents as they will copy over access from the original document. If you don't want the original collaborators to see the new document you need to change the access straight away.

Patrick
Technology Coordinator in US
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Good Product, Broken Promises

Pros:

It is my go to document editor for quickly capturing ideas or data. It is convenient, easy to use, and readily available in my browser. The clean interface and easy-to-navigate menu keeps me coming back. It has not be "overdeveloped" and I think that is part of it's success. It is simple.

Cons:

Many users took advantage of Google's unlimited storage for Google Photos. Google later backtracked, and said those photos would now count against your total Google Drive storage. By making these photos count against users' overall storage, Google essentially ensured many users would suddenly be out of storage space in Google Drive -- the place where your Google Docs files live. This means users either had to delete files or pay for a premium subscription in order to gain more storage space. This was a very anti-consumer move, in my opinion. I mention this because all storage across Google Services (Gmail, Docs, Photos, Sheets, etc) is pooled together and counts against your total storage in Google Drive. Unless you choose to pay a premium subscription, you will likely need more storage than that provided by Google for free. For those reasons, I recommend Google Docs only as a tool for quickly taking notes, creating a draft document, or brainstorming ideas. It is likely best to move the final copy to a more permanent storage repository that you own, as storage in Google Drive gets eaten up fast, and the terms are subject to change, as we've seen with Google Photos. However, it is a great tool for simple collaboration. You can share and edit documents in the cloud, which is great for brainstorming and creating drafts. Google Docs offered these collaborative features before many competitors. Now it is a common feature across similar products, but Google should get credit for offering consumers a free service that included theses features first.