15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Articulate 360

Articulate 360 has everything businesses need to easily create beautiful, interactive e-learning that looks great on any device.

Learn more about Articulate 360

Pros:

The features allow the course to be interactive and engages with users. Rise integrates with Storyline.

Articulate 360 ratings

4.6
4.6
4.5
4.3

8.9/10

Articulate 360 has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 445 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Articulate 360 before?

Mari
Mari
Instructional Designer in US
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Best authoring tool

Comments: I started by using Captivate and was not happy with the results. I found that the training I created and articulate looks more professional and was much easier to author.

Pros:

Articulate has a suite of products that will serve any training needs. For a quick training with interactive elements, RISE is what you will need. For a more complex robust training, STORYLINE is best suited. Assets are robust and very numerous.

Cons:

The price point is a little high for an individual license. That being said, if that is the only drawback, it is very well worth the price.

Calum
Calum
Employee Success Consultant in UK
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

The best in rapid eLearning Development

Comments: I think Storyline is the absolute pinnacle of rapid eLearning development software. It's intuitive, feature packed and just works well.

Pros:

Easy to use. Advanced actions in highly interactive courses are so easy to design and build. I have some previous experience as a developer in flash, so I can be quite creative in my ambitions - as of yet, I'm yet to find anything that can not be built using triggers and variables. Having been a long time user of Adobe Captivate, I often had to add code to achieve similar functionality in my course builds.

Cons:

There are times that a course file just corrupts and cannot be saved. This is very infrequent - it has happened to me a few times. Often, you can save it by ensuring you save a new version of the course. However, I have found when working intensively overnight on a course build,. the file corrupted and I had to start the build almost from scratch. It wouldnt discourage me from using this software over any alternatives.

Russell
Canada
E-Learning

Great software but needs some serious updating

Comments: I have been an Articulate StoryLine user since it came out in about 2013. It took a while, but once I learned how to use it, I was able to create hundreds of amazing e-course modules and interactive games. It became one of my favorite software development tools allowing me to do things I never dreamed possible and really impressed (and expanded) my clients. Support was okay. But I never really had to submit a support ticket. Articulate has the best community and I was usually able to get the help I needed from moderators or other community members. However, I can relate to Chris' frustration. For example, StoryLine has the capability to execute javascript which greatly expands what you can do with it. But the stock answer when you have a javascript question is ... "Sorry, we don't provide support for javascript; perhaps someone in the community can help you out." Fortunately for me, there was always someone well versed with javascript that was willing to share their code. Recently, it is becoming apparent that StoryLine has some major shortcomings, and that Articulate has been slow in adding new features and enhancements in response to client requests. These include such things as a) inability to use with high-res monitors; b) no capability to e-mail results to admin or user; c) no feature to have background audio across all slides (see Chris' review); d) no capability to publish only HTML5 output; e) poor quality of HTML5 published output that does NOT work well on many mobile devices; f) no responsive design capability; g) no capability to send results to a database; h) very slow player response on timeline when synchronizing animations and no true scrubber; and several other issues. In Nov. 2016, Articulate released 360 which bundled all of their current programs into one annual subscription (which is way too expensive for us to even consider). StoryLine 2 as a stand-alone product is still available and Articulate claims that StoryLine 3 will be available sometime in 2017. However, whether SL3 will address the major shortcomings of us and others, remains unknown. Therefore, to meet our needs for course development in an ever changing technological environment, we are currently exploring alternative e-learning software development tools. Our leading candidate is Captivate 9. It appears to have all the features missing in StoryLine (and much more). Also, it appears that CP9 is a much better value.

Kristóf
CEO in Hungary
E-Learning, Self Employed

Best eLearning development tool on the market

Pros:

It's really easy to get the basics down with Articulate but when you want to dig deeper there are always ways to improve you courses with advanced triggers, variables, javascript.

Cons:

Sometimes it's unstable, slow. The amount of built-in animations could be more and there is still no Mac version.

E-Learning, Self Employed

Still my favorite authoring tool - powerful, modern & easy to get ideas/suplort

Comments: I chose Storyline as our primary authoring tool at my previous company. The templates and straightforward approach to creating interactivity with layers with trigger was really a joy to develop with.

Pros:

My favorite feature of storyline is the fact that it only been around 6-8 years. All of the examples, just-in-time support and troubleshooting you search for online are applicable to the current version (360) and can be implemented. Their online community is best in class.

Cons:

As a freelancer, when work is light in for my elearning business (I also work FT and do webdev work) - the subscription price Of Storyline 360 is too much. I wish I could pay for a month only.

Higher Education Software, 51–200 Employees

eLearning Design made easy

Comments: Easy to use, great support forum, fast cloud based development in Rise

Pros:

This subscription makes it so easy to develop amazing eLearning courses. From quick cloud based courses in Rise, to more elaborate course development in Storyline. It does not get easier.

Cons:

As always, the subscription cost could be lower not thankfully it is not outrageous. I wish they would get rid of Quizmaker already.

Alternatives Considered: Adobe Captivate

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360: We purchased both but Articulate is so much better and more stable!

Amazing software that begs you to make interactive HTML5 courses

Comments: I am able to make interactive HTML5 courses that play without issues on mobile devices

Pros:

I like that there are regular updates and support with the subscription model. The multi state object interface is so much better than captivate’s.

Cons:

It is very pricey for a freelancer and the publishing options can be confusing for packaging your course correctly for Captivate Prime LMS

Rameez
Rameez
Content Developer in South Africa
Retail, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A modern, clean and refined take on a publishing tool.

Comments: We switched from Captivate to Storyline and 360. I enjoy it alot more as it feels and looks more modern. The content they provide is above par and well worth it as it all comes together amazingly even when you switch them up. I would just like to see more timing options. Other than that I highly recommend this product.

Pros:

My pros are: 1. Easy to understand and user friendly 2. Much smoother when playing back content 3. Allows for the addition of templates which can be downloaded at any time 4. Intergeates well with other software such as a LMS when using published files

Cons:

I would like to see the option to allow more audio to be added. For example, if I have two images on the slide, I would like to be able to attach an audio file to either image and not just have one audio file. I would also like to see more timing options.

Emre
Emre
Instructional Designer in Canada
E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

Great software for great learning experiences

Comments: Creating interactive learning: branching scenarios, drag and drop interactions, creating the feel of interacting with an environment (e.g. office in an onboarding program)

Pros:

Storyline is easy to use. It enables you to make interactive learning fast. Interface that resembles Powerpoint will help new users feel welcome.

Cons:

Small/medium sized businesses that have less frequent needs for e-learning may not have the budget for an on-going subscription. I'd like it if the price point was lower.

Military, 10,000+ Employees

Must have for instructional design

Comments: Rise is great for rapid authoring. Review is critical for internal and external stakeholders and SMEs to review development. Storyline is my go-to for course authoring with Rise and Review as necessary companions.

Pros:

Very active user community to get ideas and solve issues. Built in photos, icons are so useful.

Cons:

The expense is higher than other elearning authoring tools.

Alternatives Considered: Camtasia and Adobe Learning Manager

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360: The integration of Review 360 is a motivating factor because reviewers without an account can make comments on content.

Digital Content Co-Ordinator in UK
Higher Education Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A satisfied Storyline 3 user

Comments: The hundreds of features mean I am continually learning new things despite having used the app for more than 5 years now. Everything seems very intuitive and help is always available.

Pros:

The amount of help and resources available via the E-learning Heroes forum is truly impressive. You don't have to reinvent the wheel when you think of a desired feature as it has usually been done already and users quite happily upload their .story files for others to customise. Saves lots of time in development.

Cons:

Not much but you are slightly limited in how the player is customised, but this is a very minor issue.

Alternatives Considered: Adobe Captivate

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360: By far ease of use. Captivate is extremely complex in comparison.

Anthony
Global Leadership Development Program Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Articulate 360 - Great tool! But take advantage of videos/books to learn the functionality.

Comments: In addition to creating e-courses, I was able to use 360 to troubleshoot and fix existing classes created by internal/external vendors.

Pros:

Once you get used to/comfortable with Articulate 360, the process to create an e-course becomes simple. Very easy to upload and use PowerPoint as the template for e-courses.

Cons:

It's not an easy software to learn. I attended several training courses with experts to learn how to use 360.

Alternatives Considered: Microsoft PowerPoint

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360: A few years ago, 360 was at the top of e-course development tool, while PowerPoint was simply used for presentations. However, Microsoft is starting to catch up and contain many tools within 360 at a fraction of the cost.

Brooke
EVP in US
, 11–50 Employees

Create e-learning has never been easier with Articulate 360

Comments: Articulate 360 is the perfect suite of tools for any type of e-learning. If you design and develop e-learning, you need to have the Articulate 360 tools in your arsenal. They provide a one-stop shop for all things e-Learning, including but certainly not limited to: interactive branching with scenario-based learning, iPad development, responsive design, upgraded HTML5 compliance, system simulations with the built-in screen recording tool, sliders, motion pathing for animation purposes, and so much more. Collaboration amongst our reviewers is a snap with Articulate Review. Goodbye, Excel spreadsheets and shared Google Drive documents...Articulate Review provides our SMEs and stakeholders one, easy to use tool for capturing all their feedback. And allows us to make comments back to comments. Lifesaver! Articulate 360 is head and shoulders above the other tools and suite of tools on the market. It truly combines the features of most rapid e-Learning tools on the market in one easy-to-use tool. And, the Articulate community is just a bonus addition...no other company's support can compare to what Articulate provides. Using Articulate 360 we have decreased our development timeline significantly across the board. Our customers love the speed with which we can create interactive and engaging courses.

Pros:

- Articulate's community is just a click and email away...support when you need it. The amount of free templates, storyboards, ideas, and graphics is absolutely amazing. We all share information, issues, and resolutions together, making for a true "community" of e-Learning professionals. - Articulate's Storyline 360 tool enables you to import a PowerPoint and add engagement through built-in interactions, or you can start from scratch and build the same look and feel. - Easy enough for beginners, robust enough for programmers.

Cons:

This is harder to define because Articulate is amazing at taking feedback and requests from its community and adding it to the roadmap for the product. We are awed by the sheer number of enhancements provided in their updates to the product.

Lewis
VP in US

The best E-Leaning Authoring System by far, but with a steep learning curve and no Macro capability

Pros:

Best Authoring Program by Far Most features Microsoft PowerPoint Style Great Exemplary Support Very Powerful Continuous addition of new features Excellent Review System Powerful Testing & Feedback Capability Integrated Audio & Video Editing Rarely ever crashes Large library of Tutorials This is a really great program for developing E-Learning and training lessons and courses. The program is loaded with capability. I have never seen a program that does so much. For example, iif you want to have an audio track, you don't need any other software to record and edit the audio. It is all built in. If you want to add a vid I have been creating and supervising e-learning courses for decades and there is none that comes even close to Articulate Storyline in power, features and capability. Storyline looks and feels very much like Microsoft Powerpoint. I think that they have an arrangement with Microsoft to use much of the PowerPoint code as processes like editing a photo is exactly the same. So using it is very easy and comfortable. Most of the commands are familiar and function just as in PowerPoint. The support is incredibly good. And you will need it because there is so much capability in Storyline that there is a huge amount to learn. Agents respond and will even create a video to show you how.

Cons:

Some operations are very slow No Macro Capability Very steep learning curve Expensive Very limited availability to send e-mails Biggest negative is the very high price and the pricing rules. Each user has to have a license. This is a killer if you have developers, supervisors, subject matter experts, and editors. each needs a license. For a program of such power and so Microsoft like, it is surprising that you cannot customize the ribbons and worse, there is no macro capability. So repetitive tasks are burdensome. There is an incredibly steep learning curve. Expect to spend at least 12 hours on tutorials before you can do anything other than trivia. And even then, you will only know a fraction of what you can do. I have used Storyline for over 2 years and every week or so I find a new thing that I can do and have to take a few minutes to learn that. Given all the support, the high price is in a sense justified but it still is a big investment of cash and your time if you want to use StoryLine. But you do get the best. There are dozens of little things that they haven't programmed that would seem easy. Like you cannot send an e-mail to the learner in the middle or a course. Or if you want a glossary for many lessons there is no way of maintaining the glossary for all. If you add a new term, you must do so separately for each lesson The program does so much that several of the functions are really slow. Previewing and publishing are the worst.

Karin
Principal Geek in US

Articulate 360 is a $weet $uite

Comments: I use Storyline 360 most days, and find it very user friendly. It has a lower learning curve than Captivate or Lectora for sure. The online community at eLearning Heroes is amazing, and Adobe's support is excellent.

Pros:

The suite includes everything an elearning specilist might need to create great elearning: Storyline 360 (authoring tool), Rise (authoring tool), Review (a tool that works to capture feedback from reviewers for both Storyline and Rise), Replay (video-reording tool for capturing screen activity), Peek ( for recording screencasts), as as a large content library, and live online training. The suite is award-winning and very popular.

Cons:

The suite is quite expensive for a single elearning developer.

Storyline is very user friendly and allows you to create customised courses.

Comments: It is our preferred eLearning development software. I love it!

Pros:

What I like most about this program is how user-friendly it is. When I first started using Storyline, I found it easy to get the hang of it and it wasn't long until I was creating courses without any assistance. I also love the icons feature that is available in Storyline 360. I use it a lot and can't imagine developing without it now. I also like that if I need support, most questions have been asked online on Storyline forums. They always provide detailed explanations of how to do certain things and other users are also helpful in sharing what they know. The fact that the program has a community of supporters leaves me feeling confident that I can figure out any problem that I have. Storyline is definitely my preferred eLearning development software.

Cons:

There are a few program features that I would love added. I would love to be able to specify exactly how curved corners on shapes are (the yellow boxes that you drag) rather than doing it by eye. I also think updating the alt-text for accessibility should not be split by elements within an object but as an object as a whole (for example icons picking up on individual shapes rather than the icon as whole).

, 51–200 Employees

Articulate 360 is a great design product with limits.

Comments: This is an easy to use design software that is flexible enough to do a lot of really amazing things if you are creative. The various products within the 360 suite further expand the possibilities for learning design and delivery across multiple platforms. The communities associated are very responsive allowing me to engage with others using the product to expand my understanding of the capabilities and work through specific challenges that I encounter.

Pros:

This is a great instructional design product that allows for seamless communication throughout the iterative process with all involved. The product makes designing online learning easy and opens up tons of possibilities for the creatively minded.

Cons:

While there are many options and flexibility when it comes to adding in Java scripting, I have found that the support in this area is lacking. Also some simple and useful feature requests have been ignored across various versions despite long lists in the discussion forums requesting such logical feature upgrades. Other issues that I have with the product are really issues with SCORM which has its own limitations and issues.

Rob
Owner in Netherlands
Alternative Medicine, Self Employed

Great software to create e-learning modules

Comments: Great software to create e-learning but to bad about some limitations.

Pros:

I use this software to create e-learning modules for my students. I like the ease of use and the simple way things work. It is possible to create very complex modules and a beginner or someone not making a living from it; it can be used. Of course, you need other software/services to distribute the modules. The modules contain tests, audio, video, written text, and interactivity. I like the fact that it is offline because I can use it anywhere (often I do not have fast internet when traveling). Also, paying for the perpetual software in one go is a relief because paying a monthly fee is eventually much more expensive.

Cons:

The inability to batch convert projects is a real bummer. You have to open each project file one by one and convert it. I do not understand why this has not been implemented yet. Another thing I do not like is the restrictions regarding tests. Tests can only contain 400 questions. It does seem enough, but in our school, we often have larger batches of questions of which randomly are selected a number of questions. The final problem is that support is generally not very helpful, and you need to figure out a lot by yourself. That is based on two experiences; however, both were quite bad.

Ezzy
Sr Instructional Designer in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201–500 Employees

Articulate 360 - Easy to Use

Comments: Overall, Articulate 360 has been a pretty great product that is helping us reach our eLearning goals.

Pros:

Articulate 360 feels like PowerPoint in its user interface and is very intuitive and easy to use. You can put together very smart-looking eLearning very quickly. There is a lot of common functionality built in so you don't have to build from the ground up every time like you do with Adobe Captivate. There's also a very large library of imaging which helps when you need to build quickly. The online support community for Articulate can't be beat. They are there to not only help when you have a problem, but they encourage you to grow as a designer.

Cons:

I feel like there are hot keys missing. I wish there was a hotkey to add a text entry field or a hot spot. I also want to be able to move items around the screen one pixel at a time with my mouse rather than having to use CNTRL and SHIFT. The interface feels a lot like PowerPoint to me so while it's easy to use, it's not really very interesting visually, which can matter when you are trying to explain to an executive or stakeholder that building eLearning is a lot more complicated than just building in PowerPoint. The triggers are also a little confusing.

Higher Education Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

I have SL2 and love how interactive I can make my courses. I have been using it for three years.

Comments: Mainly information on ID best practices and some "how tos" from their blog and community. It can be really engaging and fun to create a course using SL2. I like their templates as they are easy to customize. However, now there is SL3 and 360, so getting help or templates for SL2 are few and far between.

Pros:

The free templates are amazing. I love their community site that is up-to-date on LD trends and challenges. Everyone that has taken one of my courses on SL2 likes how fun and engaging they can be. I can add all types of file formats, different types of quizzes, interaction, and multimedia.

Cons:

I never seem to feel like an expert as some of the functions/interactions are hard to create. I went to a two day training on SL2 and it didn't teach me enough as I am still trying to figure out variables and how they work. Sometimes the E-Learning Heroes take days to get back to me if I have an issue and don't always explain in detail how to correct the issue.

Computer Software

Perfect tool for avid developers

Pros:

I love how intuitive the UI is - very similar to the familiar Office suite. Tons of triggers, animations, and media types to make great elearning. Especially useful is the layers function, which makes it easier to create rich media and manage the source files. Lots of my clients really appreciate the review site and our communication there, and it makes it easier for me to manage feedback!

Cons:

You definitely need to be an expert in order to make the most of this tool; while a novice may be able to create objects and basic animations, you've got to dive pretty deep to use all of the features. You'd be surprised that the elearning courses you've taken before which look like they are built by the most creative developers and designers are actually done in Storyline. It's also insanely expensive and make it cost prohibitive for most.

Retail, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great Tool for Developing Interactive Learning Experiences

Comments: Before I used Storyline for eLearning development I used Authorware and then Flash. With Authorware and Flash I felt I could do anything I wanted to do! With Storyline, there are some constraints, but development is much quicker than with Flash. I still don't like it as well as Authorware, but Storyline is growing on me after 2.5 years of use.

Pros:

Very good tutorials for beginning users, triggers allow for some programming without actually writing code, easy to quickly develop branching scenarios and highly interactive training modules, nice features such as markers for optional information and simple video and sound editing (minimal but still handy). Another pro is the huge community of users and the forum (hosted and moderated by Articulate).

Cons:

Can be buggy. Triggers allow for some programming, but there is no equivalent to arrays, which can be frustrating.

Founder & Creative Director in UK

An extremely intuitive and easy-to-use authoring tool

Comments: This is a great all-around authoring tool which can be used by both beginners for quick solutions and also experts to create high-quality learning experiences.

Pros:

Storyline is one of the easiest and most intuitive rapid authoring tools on the market. Not only is it easy to use, it also has a large support network in the form of the e-learning heroes site which provides the solution to your issues and answers to your questions from a supportive community. Due to its intuitive design, it is easy to pick up and can be then used to create both simple and complex activity courses.

Cons:

The main con is that you do need to have the latest version of Storyline to really benefit as the support from Storyline 2 has ended which means that anything created on those versions will have issues with browsers as they evolve.

Lisa
Sr. Learning Designer in US

Articulate beats Captivate

Pros:

Storyline is very easy to use and to get up to speed on. Software runs very quickly and is very reliable. Also love the connection to Rise and Review. Makes building a course simple and even fun!

Cons:

Only con is that building a template works a little wonky. Works best to build a Storyline course and import that course when starting new eLearning.

Bo
Change Manager in Denmark
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

Articulate 360 making my much simpler

Comments: I have been using Articulate products for about 6 years and could not be happier with what they have provided. I have used several different versions of Articulate and use Articulate 360 for about 2 months now. The software is easy to use, well priced and gives users so much freedom to design courses where the only limit is the developer's imagination. The support available is also second to none; you will never buy a product and then be left struggling to get the most out of it. I would consider Articulate to be the only option to consider if you are wanting to develop online training materials and with their new 360 products, everything is brought together in one place making your life that much simpler.
The support community provides expert advice and encourages peer sharing. The online support community is still growing but I already am able to find an ample amount of templates and resources I need to build my courses.

Pros:

Easy to use