About Donorbox

Quickly embed an optimized recurring donation form in your website for fast, multi-step checkout.

Learn more about Donorbox

Pros:

Donorbox is great for a basic integration to seek donations.

Cons:

Limited in features to be fully functional with more current needs.

Donorbox ratings

4.7
4.8
4.6
4.7

9.2/10

Donorbox has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 176 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Donorbox before?

Zach
Zach
Web Manager in US

NGO Donation Platform

Comments: It has been good. We have used since 2018 and they have rolled out more and more features. It has accomplished the couple things we needed it to do successfully. Beautiful forms that are customizable. I didn't see need for use of WP plugin even though we use wordpress, it didn't really add much there.

Pros:

We loved giving donors the ability to login to recurring gift management. It also allows donor to cover processing fees (and they use it if it's there!).

Cons:

Still being developed out dashboard. I've been wanting to see on receipt how much donor paid (like a split) of donation fees. Not able to do that yet.

Alternatives Considered: Funraise

Reasons for Choosing Donorbox: Better forms.

Reasons for Switching to Donorbox: Pricing at the time.

2 years ago

Thank you so much for your awesome review of Donorbox! We're thrilled that you're enjoying your experience with us and we appreciate your feedback! We'll be sure to share this with our product team. If you ever need our help or have any ideas on features you'd like to see, please feel free to contact us on https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

Austin
Development Director in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, Self Employed

No brainer!

5.0 last month New

Comments: It's been a breath of fresh air. Prior to Donorbox I have used Classy, Salsa and Network for Good. Each have annual fees and yearly contracts, if you move from one of them then your monthly donors don't transfer, lame! Donorbox was made with the nonprofit in mind. It has all the functionality I need and it's easy to customize and manage donors. I wish I would have switched to them earlier.

Pros:

- Best reoccurring giving. - Use of partners that do it better. Unlike other CRMs that try to do it all. Donorbox has API's already set up with Mailchimp and they use Stripe and Paypal. If you have used (and struggled with) Salsa or Network for good then you know the significance of this. Donorbox provides a powerful set of tools where the small nonprofit can thrive and continue focusing on their mission. - No annual cost or contract and low processing fee. - Forms are easy to create and customize.

Cons:

You can make the crowdfunding and donation form a Peer-to-peer fundraiser. Which is cool. I think it would be better if I could just create a peer-to-peer form and be able to customize it a little bit more. Still functional but I bet it could improve.

Alternatives Considered: Kindful

Reasons for Choosing Donorbox: Network for good seems good on the surface and those salesman can deliver a good presentation. It wasn't until a month into the contract that I started to see all of the flaws and when I would suggest edits to the developers, nothing ever happened. I used them for two years. Stagnate, stuck in the early 2000s. There were three major reasons I switched. I'll only share one of those reasons; with NFG, when a donor signs up to give monthly it gives them the option to select how long (ex. 6 months, 1 year, forever ...). Even though it is easy to cancel a reoccurring donation, "forever" is a serious word so everyone selects a different option. Then their payment processor isn't smart so when a CC expires or when the billing address changes then the reoccurring donation stops. So lame and unnecessary (built for the donor not the nonprofit). I found myself doing a lot of work just to get donors to sign back up. With the correct technology, thank you Donorbox, this isn't a struggle. Contract and annual fee was a big turn off. Salsa: Contract and annual fee can be a killer. Salsa has some cool tools. I ultimately switched from Salsa because I lost a $15,000 online donation from someone in Hong Kong. Their payment processor wouldn't allow it in that area. The donor got sketched out. Gone. Lame.

Switched From: Network for Good and Salsa Engage

Reasons for Switching to Donorbox: Cost, features and customer service.

Allison
Director of Development in US

Donorbox Review

Pros:

Donorbox is great for a basic integration to seek donations.

Cons:

It is very basic and has not had many upgrades therefore it lacks the professional touch that many of the competitors offer.

Maya
President in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees

Love it and so glad to no longer have 7 different options for asking donations!

Comments: Very customer service oriented. I really love working with DB. They just need to polish a few things before rolling out anything new and test it out. They usually fix whatever I inquire about, but I'm sad that the event and CRM software isn't up and running. So I'm still dependent on other programs.

Pros:

Tax letters/receipts that are sent out immediately.

Cons:

I wish their event features were on the level of eventbrite. I was so excited when they rolled out the events platform only to discover it just doesn't have the reporting and functions we need. I still have to use Eventbrite.

Alternatives Considered: GiveSmart

Reasons for Choosing Donorbox: Paypal has terrible reporting. I didn't have addresses, and it was hard to track monthly donors.

Switched From: PayPal

Reasons for Switching to Donorbox: Donorbox was superior.

Nicolas
Nicolas
Secretary-Treasurer in US
International Affairs, 2-10 Employees

Donorbox has helped us exponentially grow our donor base and total contributions

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Donorbox’s wide range of payment options and its ability to accept nearly every currency in the world makes it a vital component of our organization’s fundraising as our donors and members are located around the world.

Cons:

Thanks to Donorbox’s continual addition of new features, the cons we noted when we were first selecting the platform have since disappeared.

Alternatives Considered: PayPal

Reasons for Choosing Donorbox: Patreon charges a significant fee and lacks the features that Donorbox offers, it is not an effective fundraising platform for most non-profit organizations.

Switched From: Patreon

Gwendellin
Educator in US
Education Management, Self Employed

Happy Donorbox User

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: It’s efficient, simple, and American. Makes me feel more secure about payments.

Pros:

The tools are easy to navigate and simple. User friendly and intuitive.

Cons:

I haven’t seen anything I don’t like about the software.

Katie
Lead Team in Germany
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees

Good Care Support

4.0 last month New

Pros:

Customer Support is very quick and pleasant to work with. From our experience they are also open to feature improvement suggestions.

Cons:

The events/ticketing option doesn't have Euro option yet

Grady
Country Director in US

I'm Grateful For Donorbox

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I'm happy with Donorbox and don't have any complaints. Their customer service was quick to respond to my questions.

Pros:

We had a year to transition to our own fundraising and donation platform. I'm no computer expert but was able to put all the pieces together to make it work.

Cons:

If I could improve anything I would increase the amount allowed for ACH donations.

Emily
Administrative Assistant in US

Donorbox Review

5.0 last month New

Comments: I appreciate the clean looking form and the results we have achieved so far. I recommend using Donorbox!

Pros:

I like the price and the quick set-up. It is very easy to set up and use.

Cons:

I did have trouble getting my embeddable code formatted in the way I liked it. Donorbox employees responded quickly, but it would be helpful if code formatting documents (like the ones already written) could be requested based on the website host.

Alternatives Considered: iDonate and Snowball

Reasons for Switching to Donorbox: Price, formatting, function

Rebecca
Program Director in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, Self Employed

Donorbox serves our watershed association's fundraising needs

5.0 last week New

Comments: Excellent software and customer service when I've needed to ask a question.

Pros:

Creating individual campaigns for General Donations, Annual Membership, or specific discrete campaigns geared for a specific event or fundraiser, is easy to do and then sync with our website.

Cons:

Distinctions between automated 'thank you letters & tax receipts' for recurring donors or members if less clear than process for automated letters/receipts for one-time donors or members.

Erin
President/CEO in US

Highly recommend

Pros:

Easy for users to pay and checkout, easy to use on the administrative side. We like the ability to customize each campaign, the donation meters, and the ease of downloading lists of donors. It's been particularly helpful for peer-to-peer fundraising: we set up a campaign for each fundraiser, making it possible to customize each fundraiser's goal, donation increments, colors, thank-you notes, everything. It's been a great addition to our website and one we're happy to recommend.

Cons:

No issues or complaints. Easy to use, easy to implement.

3 years ago

Hi Erin! Thank you so much for your awesome review of Donorbox! We really appreciate your feedback and we're thrilled that you're enjoying your experience with us. If you ever need our help or have any ideas on features you'd like to see, please feel free to contact us on https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

Rachel
Donor Data Manager in US

Kind Staff and Robust Features

Comments: Fantastic, I've worked with 3 other donation platforms and this one is by far the best value, best experience for me as an admin, and best experience for our donors.

Pros:

The staff at Donorbox are the kindest customer support folks I've ever worked with. Through learning the platform, migrating recurring donors from other platforms into Donorbox, and setting up an integration with our Salesforce account they have been helpful, patient, and simply pleasant to work with. Further, I appreciate that as Donorbox adds new features (such as crowdfunding) they don't put them behind a paywall.

Cons:

I know my marketing coworkers wish some of the design features gave us more customization.

Elizabeth
Development Manager in US
Media Production, 2-10 Employees

Game Changer

Comments: Integration with Salesforce NPSP, Pardot, and Wordpress - after a small learning curve, it's all seamless.

Pros:

I can't say enough good things about Donorbox. We were struggling to sync our data to Salesforce and manage recurring donors in prior systems. It was time consuming and inaccurate. We implemented Donorbox and bam - it just works. Their support is responsive. The integration is excellent. The interface is easy. Our recurring donors can manage their own profiles. It's been such a good fit that I recommended it to another client and helped them implement it. I don't usually write reviews but I had to do it here - it's just excellent and if it ever goes away I will cry.

Cons:

There's a learning curve. But it's small, and worth learning for our purposes.

Alternatives Considered: Classy

Reasons for Choosing Donorbox: Integration with Salesforce was unreliable and a headache.

Reasons for Switching to Donorbox: Donorbox had the best integration options

3 years ago

Hi Elizabeth! Thank you so much for your awesome review of Donorbox! We really appreciate your feedback and we're thrilled that you're enjoying your experience with us. If you ever need our help or have any suggestions on features you'd like to see, please feel free to contact us on https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

Lauren
Global Giving Database Manger in US

Donorbox's Customer Service Sets Them Apart

Comments: Overall, I would definitely recommend this product. Donorbox has helped my organization raise lots of money with their simple and easy to use platform.

Pros:

Donorbox is a newer, free platform for allowing donors of your nonprofit to make a gift to your organization. By far, the best thing about them is their customer service. If you or your donor(s) has an issue, you submit a ticket through email and they get back to you generally within one hour. They then work quickly with you to solve whatever problem you're having. They have sent out surveys to clients and asked what features we would like to see added.

Cons:

Donorbox has a login system for recurring donors, but none for donors who make a single gift or are regular givers. It would be great if that feature was included, as other companies that offer this type of service have. It would allow my organization to be more efficient and timely in other things we have to do.

3 years ago

Hi there! Thank you so much for your awesome review of Donorbox! We really appreciate your feedback and we're thrilled that you're enjoying your experience with us. If you ever need our help or have any suggestions on features you'd like to see, please feel free to contact us on https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

Bonita
Webmaster in Canada
Computer Software, Self Employed

Excellent Customer Support

Comments: Donorbox requires only a little learning to get the backend interface. It displays a beautiful donation box on the website, and it doesn't charge for features that other programs do. For a nonprofit, I think Donorbox is the best possible choice!

Pros:

It was easy to set up. One glitch at the beginning that was dealt with in record time as soon as support was notified. It has been stable ever since. The organization had some questions about the way the fees work, and support went above and beyond to explain the fees and to suggest a way our nonprofit could apply for a discount with PayPal and save on fees.

Cons:

I wasn't happy about the glitch that occurred that stopped the donor boxes from displaying properly on the website when I first set them up. They worked, and then, they didn't, and our account was not recognised in the system. However, as soon as it was brought to Donorbox tech support's attention, it was rectified, and the problem has never recurred. Hiccups happen, and since it has been stable ever since, I consider that a minor issue.

IT and Marketing in US
Fund-Raising, 2-10 Employees

Trustworthy and simple

Comments: DonorBox has been instrumental in increasing our fundraising donor base and cash flow.

Pros:

It was easy to set up and is trusted by our customer base.

Cons:

I really haven't found a downside. There was a learning curve setting things up but it wasn't insurmountable. We have multiple forms now.

2 years ago

Hi, David! Thank you so much for your awesome review of Donorbox! We really appreciate your feedback and we're thrilled that you're enjoying your experience with us. If you ever need our help or have any ideas on features you'd like to see, please feel free to contact us on https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

Rudy
Director in US
Recreational Facilities & Services, 11-50 Employees

Donorbox is great for our small non-profit

Comments: Outstanding; I get much better than I deserve with Donorbox.

Pros:

I like how easy it is to set up forms. I am happy with their rates. I really appreciate the webinars they produce, so I can learn more. Really, I wonder why they do so many nice things for their customers; they are charitable to charities!

Cons:

Donorbox does all I want it to; I'm sure it does other cool things, but I don't need those things and I'm very happy with the service.

Abigail
actor in US
Performing Arts, Self Employed

Easy and Effective

Comments: The non-profit theater company I volunteer for did not have a good way to solicit small donations from members of the community, so I searched to find software that we could link to the company's website. Once I found Donorbox, I was able to set up an account with Stripe, set up our donation page, and then launch the site with the Donate button. We put a Donate link in our email newsletters, and have been receiving a steady stream of small (and sometimes not so small) donations. Though there are a couple of steps to the process (all clearly outlined by Dropbox), it took only a little while to link up all the back end stuff. Now, my colleagues are thrilled and amazed to watch the donations pour in.

Pros:

I am not a web designer, I am a civilian. I volunteered to set up a donation button for the website of a theater company of senior citizens. It may be the greatest compliment of all to say Donorbox can be used effectively by people who are baffled by the internet. I don't think I can elaborate enough on why this software is simply the best. The instructions are clear and simple; everything works on all browsers; the interfaces are crisp and easy to understand. I have no trouble finding stuff on the dashboard. I can easily administer our team. When a donation comes in, the emails goes quickly to everyone that I've designated, so that the donors can be thanked.

Cons:

I can't come up with anything; everything works.

Business Analyst and Technical & SEO Content Writer in India

Donor box review

Comments: Even if text-to-give is not yet an option, I'd still recommend Donorbox over other donation systems. It's rare, from my research, to get this much of functionality, simplicity, safety, and speed for so little financial investment.

Pros:

Really appreciate that Donorbox is so simple to use and so affordable. It's very helpful to have the option of suggested donation amounts as well - since starting to suggest amounts to our donors we've noticed an increase in donations! Really value the integrations with Salesforce and Mailchimp as well. This has allowed us greater functionality while keeping the cost of a donation system low.

Cons:

There are many great things about Donorbox that I thoroughly enjoy. However, a built-in text-to-give technology would really take it to the next level.

4 years ago

Thank you so much for your kind words! It¿s always great to hear that we¿ve helping our customers be more productive and successful. You¿ll be happy to know that we¿ve actually already started plans for a text-to-give feature. As soon as it¿s ready, we¿ll be sure to let you know. We¿re always working to make Donorbox better, so your feedback is really helpful and much appreciated. If you have any other ideas or features that you¿d like to see, please feel free to let us know. We wish you all the best with your fundraising efforts.

Kara
Founder in US
Philanthropy, 11-50 Employees

Best Software

Comments: It is one of the best softwares for nonprofit start ups.

Pros:

The product is easy to navigate through. The set up was very quick and it integrates well with our work.

Cons:

It uses another software that required facebook for verification of information.

Alternatives Considered: Classy

Reasons for Switching to Donorbox: Ease of use and affordable rates.

2 years ago

Hi, Kara! Thank you so much for your awesome review of Donorbox! We really appreciate your feedback and we're thrilled that you're enjoying your experience with us. If you ever need our help or have any ideas on features you'd like to see, please feel free to contact us on https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

Rosalind
Head Shoulders Knees and Toes in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Fulfilled our specific need and way exceeded expectations

Comments: Excellent. Donorbox enabled us to share yoga education with people all over the world who wouldn't have had fair access to it based on their local economies unless we'd used the donation model.

Pros:

Easy to use, enables people to pay what they can afford, which is the way of the future in this time of inequality. I loved all the options and especially being able to customise the reciept email, include images, and send login details (so basically using this donation software as a "pay what you can afford" plugin). Quick, friendly responses to questions and sounded like real people not robotic people.

Cons:

I'd love if it could automatically export .csv data to squarespace email campaigns but i appreciate that's pretty niche. It can however do it with mailchimp. As it is i do it manually once a month.

2 years ago

Hi, Rosalind! Thank you so much for your review of Donorbox! We're always looking for ways to improve our integrations with other platforms, so we really appreciate your feedback. If you ever need our help or have any ideas on features you'd like to see, please feel free to contact us on https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

Gerben
Chairman in Netherlands
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees

Donorbox: the right choice for nonprofits

Comments: We really enjoy using Donorbox for fund raising. The support is very good. Each question we had was answered very swift. Great product and a great team. Recommended!

Pros:

This products is very easy to implement. We've got it ready in a few hours. It is easy to use, adjustable to your specific requirements. Connected to Stripe Payments nonprofit as we are can get a deduction of fees which makes it more attractive. We have integrated it in our Weebly website as our own page so people do not even notice we use Donorbox. It has all the features we need as a nonprofit trust and even more than we use.

Cons:

One thing we would really like to see as a new feature: the possibility to have check boxes for choosing goals and give visitors the option to give money for each goal. Currently a visitor can only pick one goal and donate for that goal.

2 years ago

Hi, Gerben! Thank you so much for your awesome review of Donorbox! We really appreciate your feedback and we're thrilled that you're enjoying your experience with us. We've taken note of your suggestions for more functionality around goals - thank you for that! If you ever need our help or have any ideas on other features you'd like to see, please feel free to contact us on https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

Ed
Pastor in US

Off the Charts Useful!

Comments: After nearly 2 years use, it has been amazing to see the ongoing options added to this amazing software.

Pros:

Searched for a solution for a non-profit website donation page and found DonorBox interface. I was very happy with what I found, and have been even happier since starting use. From super easy end user experience, to simple implementation on websites, Donorbox rocks! Users can donate via bank card, PayPal, or bank account. No fees are charged by DonorBox unless $1000 per month is processed. Other merchant processing fees apply as usual. DonorBox loves mobile users too!

Cons:

Only regret is that I didn’t find it sooner!

4 years ago

Thank you so much for your sterling review of Donorbox! It really means so much to our team when we hear that our customers are enjoying their Donorbox experience. Our goal has always been to give organizations and donors alike the best donation platform possible. So, it's awesome to know that Donorbox is helping to make your workload just a little bit easier. We welcome any suggestions you may have for us. It could be anything like a feature you'd like to see or perhaps there is something that we can do better. Your feedback would be really appreciated. And, it will help us make Donorbox even better. All the best with your fundraising! And thank you again for your wonderful review.

Josephine
Church Administrator in Spain
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees

A very helpful product, but a little tricky to set up if you want some control over options

Comments: Overall it was good, although it took much longer than I had expected.
The website for Getting-started-with-Donorbox was extremely helpful and took you through the steps. But later, to modify information, it wasn't clear where that data was kept - Donorbox vs Stripe.
Having to define my business and name an Executive Person was complex - and loading a .pdf for a utility bill kept failing (I had to make it a .jpg!).

Pros:

For the user, the product is very easy to use, and it was up and running quite quickly. We began to receive donations quickly. Excellent! Creating Embed Code for us was extremely helpful. It was pretty well designed for ease of setting up.

Cons:

Being from a computer background, but also a user in this case, I found the details about how information is used to be inadequately described. Specifically ... how the different e-mail fields will be used. Our main email is the church's, but we wanted finances and donation information to be to a separate e-mail address (for confidentiality purposes). In the end, this didn't work out. The boundaries between Donorbox and Stripe weren't clearly defined to me. The fee structure (Stripe and Donorbox) was not very clear in the end - what the rates were and who charged what.

2 years ago

Hi, Josephine! Thank you so much for your review of Donorbox! We really appreciate your feedback. I'm afraid that we don't have much control over Stripe's signup requirements for uploading documentation, but our team will certainly look at how we improve our documentation to be more helpful. If you ever need our help or have any ideas on features you'd like to see, please feel free to contact us on https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!

Lyndsay
Executive Assistant in US

Love the Ease of Use

Pros:

Easy to customize. Love that donors are able to cover the fees.

Cons:

I wish I didn't have to go to a separate PayPal or Stripe page to check on donations.

3 years ago

Hi Lyndsay! Thank you so much for your awesome review of Donorbox! We really appreciate your feedback and we're thrilled that you're enjoying your experience with us. We do understand that it would certainly be more convenient to check your donations directly within the Donorbox dashboard. Thanks for the suggestion! If you ever need our help or have any more ideas on features you'd like to see, please feel free to contact us on https://donorbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. We'd love to hear from you!