15 years helping Canadian businesses

About DNSFilter

DNS-based threat protection & content filtering. Driven by realtime A.I. Built for MSPs and Enterprise.

Learn more about DNSFilter

Pros:

Choosing what will be filtered could also not be simpler. All of the functions are clearly displayed and easy to configure.

DNSFilter ratings

4.8
4.7
4.6
4.8

9.3/10

DNSFilter has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 84 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used DNSFilter before?

Gabino
Gabino
President in UK

Excellent

Pros:

Simple to install and it actually works !! Support is excellent always prompt and knowledgeable. And the override button sorts out any issues

Cons:

No fixed per month fee and sometimes bank websites don't work and need to be whitelisted. Otherwise it would be nice to have separate password levels for accessing websites

Kevin
CEO/President in US
Computer & Network Security, Self Employed

DNSFilter is a great solution for the first layer of security

Pros:

The ability to offer it to my clients and their MSP program. It is very easy to deploy it to my clients, easy to bill and manage.

Cons:

In the beginning the reporting wasn't as well as I'd like but it has evolved.

Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Great product - but if I wanted to be stuck with email-only support I'd use Umbrella

Comments: Content filtering with exclusions (teachers can get to facebook but students can't)

Pros:

Flexible deployment with a mix of DNS and software client base deployment options...

Cons:

Support is email only - and inadequate when you have a K-12 client who needs an answer quickly.

DNSFilter Response

5 years ago

I apologize for your thoughts on e-mail only support. For what it's worth, please note that for customers who are Tier 2 and above we do start to offer chat and phone support.

Gregg
CEO in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Great filter for MSPs to offer

Comments: We have been using the service since day one and it has been great to see how far it has come over the years. Truly a great service.

Pros:

With one panel we can admin all of our clients and protect the users from many different threats.

Cons:

With the addition of the client on the workstations giving detailed reporting, there is not much else we could want other than maybe even more detailed reporting.

Ali
Network Administrator in Canada

DNS Filter review

Comments: DNS Filter is amazing tool to have as a MSP. It adds another layer of security for our clients. We have been using it for past 2-3 years for all of our clients and it seems to do its job.

Pros:

Easy to implement. Easy to navigate GUI.

Cons:

Reporting can be better and better granular reporting per end point.

Fabian
IT Staff in Spain
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Good value

Comments: So far, so good. We have tested several alternatives (Umbrella, TitanHQ, Qustodio), and DNSFilter is the best overall.

Pros:

Easy to deploy to our 600+ iPads. Great integration at JAMF School. The management console is full of useful features.

Cons:

Query log should be longer than 24 hours. Also query log search is a bit slow.

Anthony
Anthony
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Went from usage to user pricing... Not impressed

Pros:

It's easy to use. Cloud DNS filtering that was cheaper than an appliance? Great!

Cons:

They changed the pricing model from usage based (Which they were so proud of) to user based. We have lots of users and many volunteers with little usage. This pricing strategy invalidates any reason to use this company over the competition.

, 51–200 Employees

Easy and very helpful

Pros:

Filtering at a great price, It is easy to setup and select the filters you need for that particular site and I love the branding feature

Cons:

Does not have an option for School Filtering, I use this application to filter schools and home internet but I have to also use K9 filtering because this doesn't cover it all and sometimes SSL could not be filtered

Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Simple cheap content filtering

Comments: DNSFilter provided a quick and easy way to add security to our company network.

Pros:

Very easy to setup, cheaper than the competition, and provides an easy way to secure your network

Cons:

We had a few problems with the chrome os support, but dnsfilter were helpful resolving them.

Levon
Levon
VP in US

Layers of Security

Comments: We use DNSFilter at our clients sites as part of a standard "Border" security set. It is used along side Hardware Web Filtering, Malware/AV scanning, etc. It is great to add as an additional layer, as well as having the client software on roaming laptops help us protect these devices when they are on the go!

Pros:

Ease of integrating into customer sites.

Cons:

At this point, there is nothing I do not like.

Christopher
Helpdesk Manager in US
Computer Networking, 11–50 Employees

The product has been solid and works perfect for our needs so far.

Comments: Malware protection, end user surfing auditing, and general organization protection.

Pros:

Ease of use and the fact that there is an agent that allows me to create filters per user. This is very useful.

Cons:

There is no way to submit requests to a "wish list" in the panel or in general. If possible I would like a button in the panel where I could submit ideas for improvements. I would also like to be able to add my own RBL servers to the filtering.

DNSFilter Response

6 years ago

Hey Christopher -- Thanks for your feedback! Actually we have always had a feedback function on the site where you can suggest, and upvote features. If you click your image in the upper right, there's a 'Feature Request' dropdown. You can also visit it directly here: https://app.dnsfilter.com/feature-request

Jason
Comp. Sys. Spec. in US

Amazing value and an effective reliable service.

Pros:

Very good value and constant improvement of services offered. Service has never been down and easy to implement.

Cons:

Filtering sometimes has false positives but support is quick to respond. The interface Is light on details in the account management section.

Andrew
Director of Information Technology in Canada
, 11–50 Employees

Great, awesome service, does what it describes

Comments: Security and reporting

Pros:

Its quite easy to use and the dev team has a great plan for the future. They are actively listening to their customers and I personally hope to increase my 'Features and Functionality' rating to 5 in the near future!

Cons:

Some of the missing features specific to my business, and the adaptation of the service in our business was slightly difficult. Its sometimes hard to determine the cause of a problem (ie, SMTP mail failures due to false positives by DNS Filter).

Joseph
President in US

Great, very reasonable cost, and just works!

Comments: Filtering our internet connection.

Pros:

Compared to the competition their service cost is very reasonable! The features are great and everything just works.

Cons:

*Needs a mobile client (they are making one though) *Does not currently support IPV6 (however neither does most of their competitors)

Brett
Pastor in US
Religious Institutions, 2–10 Employees

Easy, helpful and effective

Comments: This has been a great experience, as we did not have any type of specific dnsfilter that was near what dnsfilter is. This is a great product and I look forward to continuing to use it in the future.

Pros:

DNSfilter's services are so helpful because it adds a layer of protection between the clients on our network, and what may be trying to get on their screens or devices from the web. This also prevents people from using our internet service for purposes that are not in line with our organization.

Cons:

The router we use on our network is a big step above a simple home router, so it took some research to make sure I was setting it up properly. Even in that, the dnsfilter team was helpful in directing me to some online articles to help guide me through the process.

Scott
Construction, 51–200 Employees

Good bang for your buck

Comments: So far its filtering has been less intrusive than previous products that have been tried. Other products that were attempted also did not have a Domain Lookup tool to see whether or not a domain might be getting blocked without a block page to display it (like for mobile apps).

Pros:

It is effectively turnkey. There are enough categories to filter that it feels granular, and the reporting features are a good start.

Cons:

Currently there is no Chrome OS app. At this point deployment of different policies, like for a Guest Network, is difficult as it requires changes to the DNS server of choice for those devices (either on a network or device level).

Nicolas
Network Administrator in Guadeloupe

Great Alternative To "Package Selling" Cisco Umbrella :)!

Comments: The fact that i can protect users connecting to our free wifi system at a short price is a real benefit !

Pros:

Adding Networks is easy ! Dashboard is responsive ! A lot of informations ! Great pricing ! And Whitelabelling Options making it as yours ! Glad i found them !

Cons:

Look like More and more features will come and dnsfilter will be even better in the future ! DNS over https is here ! but DNSSEC Please !

William
It in Canada
Farming, 11–50 Employees

A DNS solution worth paying for.

Comments: So far I have enjoyed DNS filter to the fullest. They offer everything that I have been looking for as a company.

Pros:

This DNS Solutions is diffrent then other old school providers. With their AI technology they can instantly calagorize website. Which is what others lack. They offer the option to enable safe search and they are a very transparent company that is willing to adapt and work with their customers.

Cons:

I would not be telling the truth if I would claim there is something is company is doing wrong. Simply no cons.

Lucas
Lucas
Director in Australia
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Great DNS security product for endpoints and routers

Pros:

We wanted a product we could deploy at the router level, DNS Filter provided that ability and a very easy to use UI and Dashboard.

Cons:

At this stage we are yet to find anything we do not like.

Education Management, 201–500 Employees

Dnsfilter review

Comments: We have a very good experience with DNSFilter and it's very easy to use

Pros:

I liked that their website explains very clearly what how their service works and has a very tech oriented approach. The road map is a very open way of seeing progress and when certain features will be available. The DNS response time and filtering is also very good

Cons:

IOS and MacOS agent is not released yet. Hopefully will become available soon

Dustin
Dustin
IT System Administrator in US
, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Superb product which is easy to manage!

Comments: DNS filtering without breaking the bank. Ability to rapidly deploy to potential clients with minimal configuration. Love the continual development as well.

Pros:

Continual development of new features, dead simple pricing, granular configuration and reporting mechanisms.

Cons:

Lack of transparency when choosing a particular category to block. Would love to have granular control over items in blocklists, with the ability to add my own to the category (or create my own category)

Mahlon
Owner in US
Information Services, Self Employed

No "Fun" at Work

Pros:

I like the easy implementation, specific categories, and the user interface. The default network filtering page when you visit a blocked site is really clean as well.

Cons:

None, I'm super happy with the service and haven't run into any issues yet.

Mickaël
IT Manager in Switzerland
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

A a good price/quality ratio adapted to our infrastructure

Pros:

The dashboard is clear and easy to use.

Cons:

The obligation to deploy on each workstation of the network the SSL certificate in order to see correctly (without browser security warning) the block page.

Shaun
Director in Australia
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Some companies make being a tech easy - this is one of them!

Comments: Additional layer of security for my clients.

Pros:

Soooo easy to setup and use. Quick to develop and release new features. The price!

Cons:

I have not found anything to dislike....

Timothy
Retail, 11–50 Employees

Excellent value. Love the extra security and content filtering for our business.

Pros:

Love the extra level of security by blocking malware and threats. Content filtering was easy to configure.

Cons:

Nothing of any real significance or impact.