Costpoint Reviews

by Deltek, Inc.

• Overall
  • Customer Service Software

About Costpoint

Industry-leading project accounting, labor management, manufacturing and business intelligence solutions

Learn more about Costpoint

Kalin V.
Director Oprations Accounting
Construction, 501-1,000 Employees

"Best experience"

Comments: I can not recall a time we have reached to Deltek Support and have not gotten the best experience. My reps are just a joy to work with and very knowledgeable about every aspect of the system. From the whole Willdan Group Team, we would like to thank you all for your continuous support and great attitude.

Steven G.
GIS Specialist
Management Consulting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017-11-29

"Extremely Buggy and Not User Friendly"

Pros: Time-entry is okay on this product, but otherwise I do not like anything about this product. Really not user-friendly.

Cons: Very difficult to submit expense reports and very buggy. First, the system is really difficult to use. I've had to help 3 coworkers submit expense reports because it was too complicated. You can't save an expense report unless everything is perfect and the error messages are often vague and not helpful. The system is extremely buggy. The workflow tab only reads one attachment per expense. Sometimes it reads the wrong attachment. I also found a bug that the wrong per diem rate was listed.

• Reviewed on 2017-11-29
Lead Writer
Computer Software
  • Reviewed on 2018-02-15

"I had to use CostPoint for work before."

Pros: It's feature rich and did just about everything I needed it to do. Also, the modular nature of the software means that additional functionality can be added as needed.

Cons: The learning curve can be steep and the software is expensive. I wouldn't recommend using CostPoint without some level of outside training.

• Reviewed on 2018-02-15
Jane S.
CAO/CFO
Government Administration, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017-05-02

"Poor customer service. low quality software and poor u user experience. exornse module does nt work."

Pros: Could be useful if UI/UX improved. Was bug free and easy to use. Expense module does nt work poor customer service

Cons: Untested and buggy. Poor user experience. Have the module crash or don't work. Poor customer service.

Toshiba P.
Software Engineering Team Lead
Management Consulting, 5,001-10,000 Employees

"Deltek CostPoint Unleashed"

Comments: Deltek CostPost is a very efficient accounting tool. It allowed us to add our accounting approval process in the form of an extensibility. This process was tedious and was completely external. With this addition it allows us to have all accounting approvals under one umbrella. Very happy with this product

Pros: Easy to navigate

Cons: The updates are sometime self defeating

Julie S.
Aviation & Aerospace, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016-11-14

"Moving from 4 ERPs to 1"

Comments: We went on Costpoint in 2009 from three separate ERPs. Project went well and we went live in less then 18 months. Fast forward 2 years and we acquired another business. We were able to move them to Costpoint in less than 12 months and under budget

Pros: Project Accounting

Cons: Advanced Budgeting cumbersome and requires an interface. I believe Deltek has a new product out to address

John S.
NA
  • Reviewed on 2017-05-02

""experience" for the user was clearly an afterthought at best. Maybe the worst application I use"

Pros: I can't say there is anything I like most about this software. Tiny buttons? No. Jargon? No. Terrible process flows? No. Impossibility of search? No. Glitchiness? No.

Cons: User experience is the worst of any business application I have been forced to use in my 20+ years in business.

Sue P.
Supervisor
Research, 1,001-5,000 Employees

"Veteran Costpoint User"

Comments: I have been using Costpoint since FY95 - first with Research Triangle Institute and now with Southwest Research Institute. Many big changes over the years.

Pros: Functionality

Cons: Not as easy to use as people think

Mary K.
Accounting Manager
Aviation & Aerospace, 1,001-5,000 Employees

"Great compliance tool!"

Comments: Time & expense This product was easy to implement and is easy to maintain. Highly configurable from a user perspective with minimal ITS support necessary.

Pros: Great compliance tool! Top notch time management rule enforcement and use of per diems, segregation of overages for accurate pass through of allocable costs.

Cons: Does not import exchange rates from bank data

Export and Compliance Analyst
Food Production, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-11-25

"Functional in a dysfunctional world"

Comments: It has been interesting to use Costpoint as an MRP system in our business, with the learning curve we are slowly adjusting, but enjoying the software.

Pros: It has features for every function in your business environment. You are able to keep all your project data in one area.

Cons: It has a steep learning curve to be able to utilize all the features within the program. There are guides to help.

• Reviewed on 2019-11-25
Jamie M.
Project Coordinator
Construction, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-08-29

"Completely functional product."

Pros: This software was easy to use, I had no issues with it. It provides exactly would it should and functions with no errors.

Cons: This software could use some more functions to increase its value. It is more of a supplementary program then a primary one.

• Reviewed on 2018-08-29
Reese W.
IT Governance Analyst
  • Reviewed on 2017-12-13

"Terrible timekeeping system for employees and my company."

Pros: This software is useful, when it works, to bill time for which I will get paid (hopefully). That's about it (and the former requirements aren't being met to guarantee that outcome).

Cons: I used deltek about 6 years ago and now again (it's changed for the worse). Always had a single charge code to worry about, so that's easy. That said, basic functions of this iteration (account set-up, log-in from various browsers, password reset, etc.) are abysmal. I've had to contact my company at least once a day regarding issues simply logging into my sheet (various browsers, two different computers) and once just to find my charge code. Corporate always has to get involved or intervene. This is supposed to be a timekeeping system for logging hours you get paid for. Who is paying for all the work to deal with the problems of this unreliable software? It shouldn't take me numerous attempts across different browsers and devices to access an application with a single username, password, and domain log-in. My company shouldn't have to "help" its employees enter in their own time.

• Reviewed on 2017-12-13
Wilson M.
manager
Industrial Automation, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2017-02-20

"management"

Comments: I know however to manage products we're you delivered

Pros: I want to distribution

Cons: Transportation of logicst

• Reviewed on 2017-02-20
Lori S.
Configuration/Data Management Analyst
Aviation & Aerospace, 501-1,000 Employees

"Costpoint Review"

Comments: I use Costpoint to add parts, create MBOM's and create DCN's for change management.

Pros: I like the cloning feature

Cons: I would like the DCN process when updating MBOM's to be more user friendly. There are too many options (Add, Change, Remove, Delete, etc.), and then also the same options on the next screen to do the same. When doing the same, it doesn't always mean the same :(
This feature could be fine tuned.
I would also like to see the MBOM process to be automated from our Teamcenter ePIC system to Costpoint. This will eliminate duplication of effort, and lessen the chance of error.

Danielle J.
GL Accountant
  • Reviewed on 2017-10-24

"Very robust product"

Pros: The overall and robust features and functionality that are available within Costpoint. This makes the overall accounting process seem simple.

Cons: The multi step process for most functions is my least favorite thing within Costpoint. I would prefer that within a function the overall process could streamline a little better.

• Reviewed on 2017-10-24
S W.
IT Project Manager
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016-11-28

"Ease of Use and Flexibility through Extensibility"

Comments: Our company implemented a suite of products including Costpoint and Time and Expense approximately 3 years ago. After seeing applied changes and specific product roadmaps at Deltek Insight 2016, I'm excited about the direction of system improvements and enhancements to functionality and features that are either a reality now or coming in the very near future!

Pros: Web-based - accessibility anytime, anywhere. Ease-of-use over Oracle products I've used elsewhere. Customer support engagement through various channels.

• Reviewed on 2016-11-28
Will F.
Management Consulting, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-06-29

"Wow!"

Pros: I'm still looking. Give me more time, I'm sure it's there somewhere. My accounting department sold this to the company as an upgrade.

Cons: Ok. My firm used to use the time & expense for timekeeping and concur for expenses; great user experience there. Then we switched to costpoint 60 days ago. It reminds me of a slapped together MS Access database. The interface is awful, just awful. Why didn't Deltek just keep the time/expense user interface?
Deltek Time/Expesne had mobile options, I've yet to find that for costpoint (..come back, your going the wrong way!!). As a manager, approving sheets is no picnic either and heaven for bit I want to look at an employee across 2 pay periods (deltek expense you clicked an arrow, costpoint you double or triple your clicks for the same task). And then there's the Expense module in costpoint, oh my. I have no idea what I'm looking at sometimes. You have to download the attachments to view them instead of opening inline for quick reference (clunky). There doesn't seem to be any sort of natural workflow for the expense reports. There's a bunch of links and buttons that I don't need. And why not just have an approval button for managers? All I've ever found is a "perform selected task" button. Not intuitive at all from a company that aims at setting the pace. Or.... maybe my firm botched the rollout?

• Reviewed on 2018-06-29
Betsy C.
ERP systemanalyst
Oil & Energy, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-11-19

"Costpoint Rocks"

Comments: Find staff to be knowledgeable and helpful

Pros: Project, financial, billing, labor and benefits applications

Cons: Material, inventory and procurements, sales

• Reviewed on 2019-11-19
Cathy T.
Senior Business Analyst IT
Aviation & Aerospace, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-11-20

"Long time customer"

Pros: Customer support and responsiveness, ease of use

Cons: Nothing comes to mind. I have been using Costpoint and T&E for 20 years. Improvements have been made during this time. It is a good product.

• Reviewed on 2019-11-20
Tawnyia F.
Financial Analyst
  • Reviewed on 2018-04-10

"I have used Deltek on the Project side and the Accounting side. Very positive experience!"

Pros: The software is intuitive and very easy to use. All modules seem to flow together from project set up to billing.

Cons: There is not very many things that I do not like about Deltek Costpoint. Compared to other accounting software it is the best!

• Reviewed on 2018-04-10
Randall H.
Software Engineer
Defense & Space, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-12-17

"Easy to use once you get the hang of it"

Comments: Overall I think Deltek is a solid tool and I would not mind continuing to use the software, however I've worked at other places that have had better or at least more user-friendly timekeeping systems.

Pros: As a user, my only involvement with Deltek is entering my hours on a daily basis after work. It took some fiddling around but once I got the hang of it, it was pretty straight forward to log my data. The tool allows you to see how much holiday or PTO balance you have as well as allowing you to access your paystub. These were things that my company previously had as separate systems, so it's nice that they're all together now.

Cons: It was hard to familiarize myself with the tool at first as it seems all the basic functions for simply entering my time data is hidden under various levels of menus. I don't know if it's merely because of the way my company configured the tool, but I haven't figured out how to print things, especially my paystub. There is no option that I'm aware of for looking at my PTO history.

• Reviewed on 2018-12-17
David M.
Government Administration, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016-11-15

"Work Smarter not Harder"

Comments: The Costpoint enterprise suite allows a complete set of tools that can influence critical business decisions in a vertical business. What sets this software apart from others, is the tools available to customize the software using Extensibility.

Pros: ease of use and customization features

Cons: native application limitations out of the box.

Network Control Tech
Defense & Space, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-08-12

"Simple software everyone understands"

Comments: Deltek helps us take care of our timesheets in short order, with very helpful search and report functions to boot.

Pros: I always like how easy it is to use. I create favorites so I don't even have to search for the right codes - they're just right there. And the web pages load very quickly on our awful work computers!

Cons: Depending on how your company set it up, it can be confusing to find your codes initially... but all they have to do is give them to you and then it's super easy.

• Reviewed on 2018-08-12
William M.
CFO
Security & Investigations, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016-11-15

"Costpoint - A+ for DCAA compliance, a D for all else"

Comments: Costpoint sets the standard for project accounting and indirect rate application and reporting. But Costpoint has none of the features that users love in other ERP systems, like drill down reports, modifiable reports, paperless processing, budget setup, easy bank reconciliations, etc. Users of Quickbooks, Dynamics and others will miss these features.

Pros: Project and indirect rate applicaton accounting & reporting

Cons: Much more expensive than comparable solutions. Extremely high lifecycle expense. You will buy this software every year with maintenance. And growing is expensive with employee based fees.

Narasimhan (nari) S.
Chemical Engineer
Oil & Energy, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-08-15

"A simple concept is complicated and user time is wasted with Deltek"

Comments: Stuck with it so obviously I am using it but I figured I would help other organizations make better choices for their employees.

Pros: It doesn't crash or freeze up, I have to give credit that their server connections and implementations are proper. So it doesnt crash during use, although logins sometimes get delayed due to some cookie issues.

Cons: Ah where do I start. No clear user interface set up method. It has a bunch of poorly worded menus and some other buttons and a whole lot of unnecessary "Query" buttons. For most users, the goal is select a charge code, pick the day of week, add the hours and save, At the end of week, they sign the sheet. Simple, right?
But not, Deltek makes the whole process of actually finding the "timesheet" and adding a line to it pretty convoluted. Note I didnt say complicated because it is not. But a simple process is converted to a random goose chase through multiple menu locations, clicks, searches and then selections. Picking a project code yay.. click on random looking glass icon or square faded blue icons and search, leave codes -- search through layered menus and then figure out what to add. Use -ve and + signs on user side, because the geniuses that built this software couldn't figure it on their side.

• Reviewed on 2019-08-15