• Overall
    4.6 /5
    4.6 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.5 /5

About Homebase

Time clocks, employee scheduling, and team management for small but mighty businesses. 100k+ businesses love Homebase. You will too.

Learn more about Homebase

Danielle M.
General Manager
Restaurants, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021-03-10

"It's is a good app, but is constantly lagging, no matter what device and internet connection used."

Comments: See Above. I would like to say every time I have spoken with an employee from HB, they have been incredibly professional, polite, and knowledgeable. Homebase was also helpful during the early phases of Covid last year, with costs. I do wish there was an easier way than what I was told, to update myself to the admin of the account. Our current admin is an IT guy we used a few years ago, who does not have access to the email he used for HB anymore. I was told you'll need my [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] to contact, and provide bills addressed to Firefly with his name listed as well, showing he is the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. However, we are DBA, so nothing, not even our paystubs, state Firefly. Our DBA, is "Wes Pac Inc", which is what mail, licenses, and invoices state. If there is an alternate way to handle this, please contact me. Thank you all so much for everything you do.

Pros: Asking for time off is simple for my employees, the message option is convenient.

Cons: Homebase since the beginning is constantly lagging. Whether it be to load pages, send or receive messages, especially sending images. Whether I am using the url on a desktop, or the app on my iPad or iPhone, it is extremely slow. I get message notifications long before the messages actually show up. It is like this for all my employee's that use the app. The iPad version is difficult to use, it is as big as the size of a small phone screen, I don't understand why the app can't take up the entire screen of the iPad, like every other app I use on my iPad. I don't know if this is an option, but for my restaurant in particular, as I'm sure is the case with many establishments that use your app, we have several different departments. I'd for one like to be able to only see my FOH employee's on the schedule, and have a separate for BOH. It would also be convenient to not just limit the amount of employee's that can request off for a specific day, but to be able to limit by department. For example, to be able to say, 3 servers, 2 bussers, and 1 hostess is the limit for any particular day, rather than only being able to say 3 employee's in general is the max. I hope I explained that in a way it makes sense. Additionally, working in a restaurant that is open nights and weekends, your support hours are not reasonable at all. There has been numerous times we've needed support and you have been closed, so we are just hopeless.

Peter S.
Owner/Manager
Recreational Facilities & Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021-05-31

"Simply the best"

Comments: Great, saves time and keeps people up today with the ever changing schedule of a seasonal recreational business.

Pros: How easy it is to have staff clock in and out. I also love how easy it is to fix hours when staff forget to clock in or out.

Cons: When setting up schedules you can not just copy one employee from week to week.

• Reviewed on 2021-05-31
Joshua L.
  • Reviewed on 2020-01-31

"Much more than the Software we needed"

Comments: We needed a better way of tracking time and calculating salary. Manual entry and spreadsheets were all we hoped to replace, but Homebase has made us realize how much time we used to spend in scheduling and payroll. Now we can do scheduling while on the road, on a trip or make last-minute changes on the fly. Basically, more beach time and less office work. I have shared the benefits of Homebase with many of our affiliate companies.

Pros: First off......It is free for basic features. I love that it has an app for phone and tablet use. It is very intuitive and easy to learn. Staff can track their time and their salary. I could make a huge list here, but basically it is the software we needed, but now we can't live without it.

Cons: Some of the features are a little on the expensive side when purchasing plans, but mostly because of our exchange rate.

• Reviewed on 2020-01-31
Annsley E.

"Overview"

Comments: It has a lot of great features and I like how you can modify a lot of the notifications to your needs.

Pros: I love how you can do the schedule out as far as in advance as possible but no one sees it until you post it. We have used other softwares that we would have to do a spreadsheet first and couldn't enter anything into the system until we were ready for anyone to see the shifts.

Cons: I would say the only thing I don't like is that we have trouble with the clock in system at one of our locations. Which is weird because it works perfectly fine at our other 3 locations. It doesn't register clock-ins a lot of times so my employees have to text me to clock them in.
I have reached out support about this several times in the past and they just say to delete the app and then reinstall. It works great for about a day and then acts up again.

Wayne H.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016-08-03

"A comprehensive, user friendly application that offers must-have features"

Comments: This application was offered as part of our new Clover POS system. I began to use it to set up the employee schedules for a small (seven employee plus owners) business. The more I used it, the more impressed I was with it. It provides every function that a small business like ours needed, taking a very tedious and error prone process and making it easy and transparent to handle. Being able to delegate certain tasks to key employees, auto notices sent for upcoming shifts, notification if someone hasn't clocked in within a set period for their shift, labor rate vs revenue analysis, end of year tax information gathering...and this was all in the free version that came with Clover! All in all, I am both impressed and pleased with this package. It looks to me like the right team wrote the right code for the right objectives at the right price. How often does that happen in the software world?

Pros: Ease of use, nailed key functions needed, intelligent navigation, visually uncluttered despite having a lot of functionality.

Cons: It is not a shortcoming of the software but of non-technical users. The biggest problem I have had is bringing along the technophobes who are used to working with...wait for it...paper calendars and personal journals to keep up with. They yearn to be able to use something so powerful but blanch when they open the home screen and see what is available. It is about as user friendly as can be imagined but some still are so intimidated that it is hard to get them to dig in. When they do, they begin to appreciate the value that is provided. The key is bringing the shy types along S L O W L Y. This software will sell itself once it is given a fair opportunity to shine. Just grit your teeth and work with them. It's more than worth the effort.

• Reviewed on 2016-08-03
Grace C.
Operations Manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-02-20

"Easy to manage staff"

Comments: instead of emailing we started using this app to manage schedules (which were done on paper before!) and to send messages to staff, like hey team i'm going to be late this morning, or on Friday we can wear jeans to work! It has made our team much more cohesive and together. now we all know what is going on!

Pros: Most of our staff is young and are on their phones all the time anyways. This app made scheduling a breeze with requests to switch shifts and time off easy to fill and move around hours. Plus there was no more second guessing what time you were scheduled for or who is off. Also you have the ability to message staff through the app which has made interoffice communication much better!

Cons: The free version only allows 1 manager- I recommend upgrading and letting a manager from every department be able to manage their employees coverage. otherwise it gets a bit overwhelming for 1 manager. Occasionally the app will not let me in asking me to enter a verification code, that is a bit annoying.

• Reviewed on 2020-02-20
Megan H.
Director of Operations
  • Reviewed on 2020-11-30

"Affordable scheduling software"

Comments: I use the scheduling portion the most. Once a time-off request is approved, it will remind you when you go to schedule some to work on their scheduled time off. This eliminates scheduling errors. I can also look at each location quickly if I need to shift employees around if I am shorthanded.

Pros: I like that I am able to link all of my locations within one application. I can easily schedule someone for multiple sites and assign specific duties, send messages, approve or decline time-off, etc.

Cons: I do not like that I can't edit someone's information when they take ownership of their account. I have some that forget passwords and not update their personal information like phone numbers and email addresses.

• Reviewed on 2020-11-30
Angela V.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021-03-05

"One of the best software tools out there for small businesses"

Comments: Scheduling, Clock in and outs, communication with employees, hiring - I use Homebase for all these features. I've made a couple of suggestions along the way and their customer support is superior. I feel heart or they find a solution for me that I didn't think of. Hands down, this is one of the best software decisions I've made for my company.

Pros: The scheduling feature and time clock were the two most important features in implementing this software. But since then, the Hiring feature has become so valuable. Honestly every feature they offer is superb and what a great value.

Cons: Honestly, I can't think of anything I don't like about it.

• Reviewed on 2021-03-05
Heather B.
Recreational Facilities & Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-09-01

"Happy Manager"

Comments: The homebase team has been nothing but helpful and supportive, and are always willing to take suggestions.

Pros: I love that there is an app connected to the schedule and other features! A huge plus is my team being able to put in their own time off, and request shift trades or covers through the app as well.

Cons: The scheduler can run slowly, and it would be nice to be able to organize job applicants a little better.

• Reviewed on 2020-09-01
Operations Manager
Entertainment, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-12-03

"Does the job"

Comments: Overall the app works well for what it was designed to do, keep track of timesheets. The customer service responds quickly and is very helpful.

Pros: The software does what its' meant to do, keep track of clocking in and out. This helps to supplement the payroll process greatly and is easy to access and use by out employees.

Cons: The scheduling function could be better. Our industry a little different, usually the work is project based. It would be nice to be able to schedule multiple people to one project with just a start time. We usually don't know when exactly a show will end, or when everyone will make it back so adding some flexibility would be very helpful. Even just having the ability to schedule multiple employees at the same time instead of having to click each one would be great.

• Reviewed on 2020-12-03
Lisa M.
Regional Manager
  • Reviewed on 2021-03-19

"Homebase Employing Scheduling App"

Comments: Ease of scheduling has been the absolute best benefit from using HB. There is an initial learning curve then it's easy. I also love keeping all the employee info, payroll, schedules and messaging all in one place.

Pros: Most importantly, our employees love using the app for following their schedule and trading/covering shifts. I think there would be a mutiny if we stopped using HB. As a regional manager watching over 3 stores, I refused to do scheduling anymore until we went with an app. After researching many different ones, Homebase won and it's been close to 3 happy years using it.

Cons: As Homebase has grown as a company, the support system and ease of use has improved; and it wasn't bad to begin with. We had some challenges with interfacing with Square, our POS, but that was more on Square's end and has mostly been resolved. We were only disconnected once in the past 6 months.

• Reviewed on 2021-03-19
Linda D.
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-12-04

"Homebase needs one more thing!"

Pros: Easy to use. Some great features. Only used customer service once so far but they were very helpful that time.

Cons: We started this program at a restaurant, we then added a theater, then another restaurant (different one) and finally we have added a hotel. It works great for all of the above. We changed the POS system we use for the buffet and the sit-down restaurant and Homebase is not compatible with that program (R-Power). It would be so much more helpful if it worked with that program so that we could track our staffing costs along with revenue. It would make the system perfect for us if they added this feature. We could change to a different program that works with R-Power, but we were already familiar with this program and we wanted to use the same program across all of our properties. We are a family owned business and simplicity and cost effectiveness are very important to us.

• Reviewed on 2020-12-04
Paula B.
Facilities Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-11-24

"Great product for the money!!"

Comments: When I was searching for this type of service I could not believe the expense. Finding homebase has been a blessing. Now that I have upgraded to meet all of my needs. I may have to shop again as I do find it a bit pricy for the extra services.

Pros: The integration with gusto when it was working. Time keeping is so easy. Almost employees can operate without issues. Love the gps. Best product for the money!!!

Cons: The major jump in price to not allow everyone to see other schedules. My managers can still see labor cost. The inconsistency with the integration to gusto. I believe is Gusto’s issue. I have reached out to them to ask them to look into it.

• Reviewed on 2020-11-24
Roy L.
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-07-17

"Great platform"

Comments: Always been great. I have used many different similar platforms, this by far has exceeded everything I needed.

Pros: The cost and ease of use of the platform

Cons: I have not experienced anything I do not like about it.

• Reviewed on 2020-07-17
Laurie S.
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-07-22

"Fit our small business scheduling needs"

Comments: We've loved the repeat schedule option and the way it integrates into our POS system. This has probably saved me several hours a week in scheduling and payroll tasks.

Pros: Before Homebase, we were using a spreadsheet to figure out schedules. Now we can easily schedule out a few weeks, allow employees to put in leave requests, and control clock ins and clock outs.

Cons: It's been a bit tricky trying to export Homebase data into Paychex for payroll. I also would love to have more of the analytics wrapped into the basic paid package, since managing labor costs against revenue is one of the biggest issues for a small food service business.

• Reviewed on 2020-07-22
Kathleen T.
OWNER
Sporting Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021-02-24

"Homebase scheduling tool review"

Comments: Homebase has made our payroll process easier and more accurate. Our new hires feel immediately onboard and connected to other staff members before actually having a shift with them.

Pros: Scheduling is made very easy. The software has prevented miscommunications resulting in missed shifts. Staff has enjoyed monitoring their hours and have been able to add hours for any extra that was worked. My staff is overall happier with the entire process. As owner, I am able to input payroll very accurately every pay period with very little to no communications with staff required.
Great communication with all staff, all of the time with the messaging portion of the software. Very easy to ask for time off and to also trade shifts. Shout outs and messaging has really strengthened my team.

Cons: It is not directly integrated with my payroll software. I still have to manually input from Homebase into my payroll companies input page. It does however give me a way of keeping the employees pay structure private.

• Reviewed on 2021-02-24
Enrollment Coordinator
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-09-14

"Low cost, high value scheduling software"

Comments: Overall we have been extraordinarily pleased with Homebase. Our employees have had no issues signing themselves in and using the app. We've used other scheduling software in the past that made it too complicated for our employees. We love the way Homebase simplifies all parts of scheduling, so we can focus on our employees and the children we serve!

Pros: Homebase is easy to use. We had to quickly implement a scheduling software. The way our business is setup has a variety of departments but employees work in multiple departments in a single day. Homebase lets us easily schedule each employee for the exact shift they work. We can view by department or by employee, which is helpful for both our employees and our managers. We haven't tried it out yet, but one of the bonus perks to Homebase is their hiring module. We have tested but not actually published a job. It was easy to do and posts across multiple platforms. Homebase has a lot to offer at a very reasonable price.

Cons: After you have scheduled in a department or scheduled an employee, you cannot use the + button to add another shift. This is annoying because you have to duplicate an existing shift and clear the information, instead of easily adding an empty shift and filling in what you need. We also did not find a way to delete an employee when they were duplicate added without choosing "terminate" the extra employee. This is not an issue now, but it could be in the future.
Another feature that would be nice in the app would be the ability to call the phone number from the roster or at least copy and paste it.

• Reviewed on 2018-09-14
Kris K.
Chef
  • Reviewed on 2020-06-12

"The best scheduling software I’ve used"

Comments: Overall my experience with Homebase has been fantastic! The app is easy to use the pricing is competitive and the ability to copy schedules over makes my life very easy! My employees love it too

Pros: The best scheduling software I’ve ever used.

Cons: None so far! If it possibly integrated with QuickBooks desktop a little bit better or if that were more obvious that would maybe be great. But overall I don’t find a problem.

• Reviewed on 2020-06-12
Dj M.
Manager/Owner
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020-11-27

"My Homebase Review"

Comments: My overall experience is that it is a great online app and software. When I tell others about it, it helps to know about the scheduling on the phone. I would use it more if this problem is fixed.

Pros: I love the scheduling, clocking in and clocking out, and the communicating to your team. And I like you can add and drop seasonal employees whenever.

Cons: The scheduling is harder to add or change and deal with on your phone. So, I've had to go directly to a computer and make necessary changes. I have a samsung Note 8.

• Reviewed on 2020-11-27
Laura O.
  • Reviewed on 2020-10-26

"Easy to use and communicate with team"

Pros: Homebase app and push notifications help me keep the team informed of scheduling, changes to schedule and communicating daily needs through messages. It's very easy to use.

Cons: When I leave a note on someone's shift, it's not so obvious for that staff member to see when I do that. I would like a push notification sent to them when a shift has notes on it.

• Reviewed on 2020-10-26
Brian T.
Finance + Admin Manager
  • Reviewed on 2021-03-10

"Homebase is perfect for organizations with multiple locations"

Comments: I've selected, implemented, and used Homebase at the last two places I have worked and have found it by far the best software to use for companies with multiple locations when you need to be able to plan and view payroll data for employees that work in different locations.

Pros: Homebase does a great job on tracking employees across a whole organization and making sure to correctly assign overtime etc for employees that work in different locations and roles across the organization.

Cons: The POS connection seems to drop off every once and a while, and while connecting it back up, it sometimes creates new locations for our organization. Customer support is super helpful in getting this fixed, but probably the one thing in my years of working with Homebase that has been a bummer.
One suggestion is having more control over who can see wages within the software.

James K.
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020-11-25

"Does the job"

Comments: I like the hiring part and scheduling, business metrics also.

Pros: It has few bugs or crashing episodes which keeps us running smoothly.

Cons: The back end credit card processing is 1st Data who isn't my preferred partner.

• Reviewed on 2020-11-25
Tj W.
Ceo
Construction, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021-01-26

"Perfect time clock solution"

Comments: Homebase has been a game changer for my small business I am able to add employees and their rate of pay and quickly track expenses for jobs and manage payroll. The application freeze up several hours of time tracking expenses and payroll.

Pros: Perfect time clock solution For my company I love that I can track payroll and assign Tasks for my employees.

Cons: I love everything about this software. There is nothing that you should change with the software version.

• Reviewed on 2021-01-26
Hannah D.
Paddle Board Shop Worker
Entertainment, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-07-26

"Many useful features for employees and business owners alike"

Comments: Homebase has allowed scheduling, all group messaging and clocking in and out. Could use some help with the "availability" section to make it more user-friendly to hourly workers.

Pros: I really love how you can see the schedule of everyone on your work team on this software. I can see all the days I am working and also see all the days my co-workers and working, which is helpful for planning purposes if anyone needs to trade shifts or cover each other. Also really like how it shows your "estimated earnings" based on how many hours you are scheduled for, so you can see how much you will make on your next paycheck. We also clock in and out on this app and it is easy to use.

Cons: The "availability" section in this app is so counter-intuitive. It is set on a week-by-week basis, so you have to "update" it for each new week that your availability to work becomes different. This is quite odd for an app that is designed for hourly workers, who usually have odd and ever-changing schedules. They need to change this to a monthly schedule so you can fill out your availability for each day of the month.

• Reviewed on 2019-07-26
Melissa D.
Operation manager
  • Reviewed on 2020-11-19

"Awesome product!"

Comments: It's overall been awesome. Will definitely continue to use!

Pros: Love the fact that it's so easy to use. My employees absolutely love it. It's just a breeze.

Cons: I don't like that you have to pay to be able to merge all stores timecards together.

• Reviewed on 2020-11-19