15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Quicken

Rental property and personal finances management solution with tenant information tracking, income management, and expense tracking.

Learn more about Quicken

Pros:

Every updated gets better. I love to be able to track every dollar I spend, and can categorize it.

Quicken ratings

3.9
3.5
3.9
3.7

7.1/10

Quicken has an overall rating of 3.9 out 5 stars based on 413 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Quicken before?

Susan
Susan
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Ideal for My Solorpreneur Marketing Consulting Business

Comments: I am very pleased with the ease of entering data into the system. It saves me the cost of having a bookkeeper. I am able to categorize expenses myself and take full advantage of knowing what i was buying for business and for personal life. I know it is saving my a lot on my taxes, as I have proof of my deductions versus just guessing. It used to take me days to prepare my docs for my CPA not it is in a matter of hours I have all the numbers she will need.

Pros:

The best feature I like is the way you can split items on a receipt into their own categories. For example, I go to Walgreens and buy cosmetics, copy paper, thank you notes, and business head shot photo prints. I enter Walgreens for the Payee, then I assign / split where the expenses will go in my categories. Cosmetic - Personal Care, Copy Paper, thank you notes - Business: Office Supplies, Photo prints - Business: Photography. I make my tax reporting a breeze for my Schedule C line items. I also love generating reports on income and expenses. Great for planning or estimating funds for seasonal work loads.

Cons:

It actually has more features than I want to use. For example - the investment section, I tried to use it - but to enter buy - sell information and dividends and details was way too time consuming for me. I just as soon get my reports from my brokerage firm.

Patrick
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Best Desktop Accounting Software

Comments: That software allows you to back up in the cloud and your computer. It has all the special effects at Quickbooks.

Pros:

Ease of use and it allows you to add multiple businesses or personal accounts. The price is what it should be for accounting software. Excellent Support, I used the support two times and was very impressed with the customer service.

Cons:

No way that I know of to recover the password vault.

Doug
owner in US

Poor Customer service

2.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I have used Quicken for more than 10 years. In the past few years, the Quality of the updates has been poor and the price has gone up. Customer service has declined in Boise office. Guatemala service is better but still language problem. Do not start with Quicken Home and Business!
Letter to the current [sensitive content hidden] of Quicken
I have contacted Quicken, according to your records at least 6 times this year 2024. I have been a customer for at least a dozen years.
The problem was finally resolved today 3/11/2024. It was related to files that go back in time and or the size of the file. I cannot imagine it is the size nor the date, it just does not make sense to me. However today, thanks to a person in Guatemala it was resolved after approx 2 hrs.
I really am upset that after speaking with a person in Boise last week for almost 2 hrs (#10890242) I was told it was an issue with my computer. I believed him, because I had spoken with numerous to Quicken support on that issue and the renaming error issue.
I have spoken with [sensitive content hidden] at your Boise office and they have extended my subscription for 6 mos.That is the best they can do for me! [sensitive content hidden], did confirm when looking at the notes I was told by the agent. That it was a problem with my computer blocking and I should take it in and get it checked. I did take it in!
But going back to the issue of my time and not correct advice, I spent $175.00 to have my computer checked, I was told by your employee that was the issue. It was not, according to [sensitive content hidden], the correct procedure was to escalate the problem. That was not done according to the notes, case #10890242. If it would have been escalated, I would not have incurred the expense. I still would have 15 or 20 hours of my time.
I have to keep Quicken to run the rental properties I own. I need the data in case I am audited. So I would have to switch to another program or continue with Quicken. I would prefer to stay as switching would require substantial time and effort for a 74 year old person.
My time and for that part yours, on the support time is probably 15 hours or more. That does not include my hold time or the issue that I now have to add back all the passwords to the institutions and double check to make sure there are no issues.

If you do not think that is fair, then I will have no choice but to continue with Quicken. But I will let other users know of my difficulties when they choose companies like yourself.
I do hope this note will help you in the future, as far as training and obvious flaws in the computer program.
I have run many companies including a number of my own. It is not the money, it is my time! I also always wanted feedback from my customers to help me improve my companies and our services. I am sure you also want that for your many companies.

Pros:

Was easy now difficult especially after updates

Cons:

The value has gone out the window, I think this happened when they were bought

Grant Bentley
Teacher in Canada
E-Learning, Self Employed

Excellent for Blended families and small business

Comments: My only issue getting started was 'Adding' an account. Followed every step to frustration almost cancelling subscription. Finally I phoned customer service and they were amazing! Took over screen and walked me through. Ended up being my display on the Mac, once corrected worked great!

Pros:

For $80 Cdn / year this is a fantastic program for blended families with multiple sources of income and complicated expenditures that require organizing. As a lay financial planner, with a rental property and a second marriage, I have spent way too much time trying to organize the finances. What has taken me literally days to do on a spreadsheet has taken me 3 or 4 hours on Quicken. Monthly expenditures and small business management will likely take me 2 to 3 hours a month now, at most. Once you organize your Transaction Payees into Categories (a few hours the first time) you never need to do that step again! Spending charts / pie graphs are clear and 'quickly' ... you know where the money is going, almost to the moment. The program was super easy to show my wife how it works and unnecessary stressors have been eliminated.

Cons:

I say almost because transactions from the bank are not simultaneously dropped into your application. Even if you update the account (refresh) it can take time for the new transactions to show up. Apparently the web app doesn't have this issue but the downloaded desk top version does. For me, no issue, but for someone who requires immediate updates it might be a problem.

Emerson
President/Owner in Mexico
Staffing & Recruiting, Self Employed

Have used it for years, still liking it!

Comments: Good, easy tool to track your money, some technical issues with downloading.

Pros:

Quicken quickly and efficiently tracks all my spending, earning and investments, and I have been able to link most of my accounts so it does it automatically.

Cons:

Not all accounts can be linked, especially not international ones. And occasionally it has brought in duplicate transactions which are a nightmare to reconcile.

Thomas
President in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Worst Software Package I know - DON'T BUY IT!

1.0 2 months ago New

Comments: This is the worst software and, as far as I can tell, none of their staff are interested in helping, nor are they anything other than simpletons without knowledge of their product. STAY AWAY.

Pros:

relatively inexpensive as compared to other options.

Cons:

DOES NOT WORK. Even when I did all it asked and upgraded - it is not able to use multiple files I provide.

Robyn
Executive Assistant in US
Accounting Software, 201–500 Employees

Quicken is a Great Program!

Comments: Placed it on 2 units at first to try it out in our office and loved it so much we decided to switch everyone to it instead. Been using it daily for almost 3 years now. It's an excellent program!

Pros:

It's very easy to self learn this program. It is equally as easy to teach to others too because it's simple to understand

Cons:

I have no complaints. It was easy to set up, it was easy to convert info from the prior program we were using. It was easy to learn and easy to teach to others. 10 out of 10 far as I'm concerned!

Stefanie
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

Quicken Keep it SIMPLE Get it Done

Comments: Easy to use, simplified and better that QuickBooks when it comes to smaller businesses.

Pros:

Quicken has everything needs for a small business. You won't get confused with unnecessary tabs and areas and you will find evet daily that is needed to track your business finances from cost to profit

Cons:

If you are a mid or larger size business, quicken is not for you.

Fernando
Manager in US
Events Services, 2–10 Employees

Comments: Great experience. The technology is great. Just hard to keep up with the monthly fees for a small business.

Pros:

I like it. I just don't like monthly fees or having to upgrade to be able to connect bank accounts for automatic upgraded on my financial statements.

Cons:

Good software. Easy to use and practical. Helps you accomplish accounting needs in an easy way. Connecting directly to your banks helps you get things done faster.

KAYLA JANE
DIRECTOR in US
Wholesale, 11–50 Employees

Quicken is OK but not the end-all solution

Comments: Quicken keeps me organized for personal use but there are always additional steps when it comes to business. I use it for two small businesses, both of which require sending the transactions and reports from Quicken to external accountants. This program is best for individual use, and managing your own transactions unrelated to owning any business.

Pros:

I like the ability to organize and ease of us. I like the connectivity to other websites, accessibility from many platforms, and simply layout. Quicken is ideal for transaction management.

Cons:

Quicken provides information but generating taxes, tracking capital equipment, really anything beyond the bare bones - is another investment in different software or an accountant.

Tamara
Adjstmnt Analyst and Generalist in US
Civic & Social Organization, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Its all about the profits now......

Comments: Although I am sounding as though I am resistant to forwarding technology, I am not. There are just certain things that I feel should be more protected and so far, technology has failed to prevent hackers and identity thieves from accessing peoples information due to companies insistence in having our information all over the internet and web. There was nothing wrong with the old QUICKEN but greed is no playing a part in the new QUICKEN that separated from INTUIT.

Pros:

I loved it when it was an actual software that could be purchased and had no yearly subscription fee. Prior to them separating from Intuit, this was my software of choice. Ease of use and the ability to choose to have your information inaccessible to internet hackers and not out there for anyone to see.

Cons:

2007 saw the end of exceptional quality. Went from a software that you can purchase and utilize without having to pay a yearly subscription to a for profit only software with yearly subscription in 2017-2018 update. Now if you want to use this software you have to pay for it yearly. 2007 utilized an update that caused major issues with previous versions. The font became too large to fit in the windows that popped up, the reconciliation failed to work properly, did not give accurate numbers.(Quicken blamed this on the PC Operating system....Funny, no other software on my PC had these issues). They refused to fix the issues they created and then came out with a new update that once you applied the update, 2017-2018, you had to start paying yearly or live with the issues that were created by the previous update. I now have fuzzy font, like old school DOS systems, and a yearly subscription for more bells and whistles that I will ever utilize. Not everyone wants to use mobile access and expose themselves to more and more risk of hackers to steal information.

Craig
President in Dominican Republic
Retail, 2–10 Employees

User since the 1990's

Comments: Since late 2022 it has been horrible.

Pros:

I have always liked how easy it was to learn and use Quicken. Getting started is easy.

Cons:

In the last year Quicken changed their product so it only works on one computer. I have used Quicken for over a decade with OneDrive as the main storage for the database and more recently my own personal server. This made using Quicken essential for travel between my office, my home and on my laptop during travel outside the country or on family vacation.Quicken no longer allows this type of functionality and only allows you to store the main database on a local 'C' drive. Yes, you can copy and paste the database onto another computer (if you remember to do so before leaving), but then you need to re-sign into all your financial institutions. Unfortunately, the product is no longer business friendly and has rolled back to twentieth century technology when people only had one computer to use.Why programmers made this horrible decision is beyond me since almost everything has moved to cloud based programming or allows you to store and use a database from an online storage platform.

Phil
Principal in US
Real Estate, Self Employed

Serious improvement is only possible with serious measurement

Comments: These days we all have multiple accounts: checking, savings, investing, real estate, retirement, etc. All these accounts are necessary in today's world, however, keeping track of them all is a serious problem. Quicken is a tool that will bring all of these accounts into a single dashboard and help you stay on top of all the changes. While Quicken is an older piece of software and will probably never see a full rewrite to make it more modern, it is the only option for serious personal finance and it works well enough to get the job done.

Pros:

It allows me to stay on top of my finances by downloading transactions from all my accounts into a single dashboard. It allows me to answer any question I have about my finances.

Cons:

It is slow! Simple tasks like reconciling an account can be aggravating as the hourglass icon comes up way more often then it should for a simple task. I have run this on a modern Intel Core i7 processor and it is still a dog. You definitely need to be patient with this software.

Daan
Senior Accounant in Netherlands
Accounting Software, 11–50 Employees

Amazing -cheap- accounting software

Comments: Great experience.

Pros:

The software has a solid UI so it is easy to see where your money goes. Easy to use and practical. Great for small to medium businesses because it is not very expensive and has many features.

Cons:

The interface can look a bit outdated to some, but al the information you need is there. In 1 place. Very convenient.

Linda
Real Estate, Self Employed

Have used for many years and with every upgrade keeps getting more bugs

Comments: Works well for personal finances - checking, savings, credit cards

Pros:

Easy to learn, set up account. Can also use the software for my other businesses and personal stuff. Lots of ways to run reports that are useful. Nice to be able to download transactions from my bank and credit card accounts.

Cons:

End of year tax schedules have bugs, Income reminders for rent payments do not show up correctly, Support is through a forum and they mainly tell you to run a file validation and that's it, Option to "Link a bill reminder to an online account" has never worked, New Zillow feature to asses value of property does not work. The only way I got good support was to pay another dollar for premium support and spent hours on the phone with a tech as he had me restore old backups trying to find a file that didn't cause the error... We never did find one that didn't cause the error. I am limping along with how it is working and currently looking for other software for my rental properties.

Roger
Property Manager
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

USe it daily and have since the early 1990,s

Pros:

Puts all your finances in one place, updates all accounts with minimal keystrokes rather than having to go to each website yourself (Saving lots of time) works like an on-screen checkbook. See your net worth accounts and liabilities in one place. Navigation is easy as a click of the mouse.

Cons:

Intuit, the author, recently sold Quicken to an Investment Group. When Microsoft dropped MS Money, Quicken became the Monopoly in the market. Now the new company made some changes and icons are different, some screens have pop-up windows that don't work right, and the internet is full of complaints from long time users. Most of the glitches I found are minor, but changes were made so that everyone had to renew in-order to be able to access all your accounts online with Quicken, a strategy they may use to continually force upgrades and fees! Watch for this. This is what happens when someone sees a chance to capitalize on a monopoly!

Cheryl

Great Personal Bookkeeping Software

Comments: I really love using Quicken. I would definitely recommend it for use for personal bookkeeping.

Pros:

Quicken is very, very easy to use. It is great for bookkeeping for personal accounts. The basic Quicken does not track debt and investments, so if you want to do that you have to upgrade to the more expensive one.

Cons:

This software cannot really be used for business use. Also, I used to be able to buy the CD and install it on my computer and use it for 3 or 4 years. Now you have to pay a yearly fee to use the software. Also, when I bought the CD I could keep up with my loans and investments. Now you have to pay quite a bit more to do that.

Homeowner in US

Data loss after update

Comments: Up until my purchase last year, Quicken served me well.

Pros:

I have used Quicken for 20+ years for personal and business needs. After my 2006 Mac crashed, I bought a new 2022 MacBook Pro and installed the latest version of Quicken. I spent considerable time setting up accounts, bank imports and entering data for the year 2021, and for one reason or another did not enter any new data after tax day 2022. On opening the program today, I installed the most recent update, as one would usually do, after which, I discovered that all my newly entered financial data on this brand new laptop and newly installed program no longer existed. I praise the technical support team for at least attempting, but failing, to help me.The checkbook feature of Quicken for Mac 2007 that this awful program replaced was bullet proof and never failed me in the many years I had used it until the computer itself died. I do not trust that this couldn't happen again, so I am going to switch to a simpler checkbook accounting system that does not nickle and dime you with "membership" fees. Be warned that running their update could cost you.

Cons:

That I lost precious data that technical support was unable to retrieve.

Sharon
owner in US
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Business malpractice

Comments: poor

Pros:

Able to keep tax records weekly for my small business.

Cons:

Quicken arbitrarily changed the rules after purchasing this software. I have used this software for 8 years and purchased the program in 2016. After purchasing a new computer this week, and being unable to transfer my program to it, I was told I had to now pay for a yearly subscription of $60/year. Initially, I was given the option of purchase vs subscription and chose purchase. I now am told I have to pay for subscription yearly. If I had known this at the intial purchase time, I would have chosen another software or set up my own on excell. This is poor business practice by this company and I would never recommend them to anyone. I was never notified of any changes with my initial purchase. This would be considered malpractice by most other businesses. They should honor past agreements.

Darcy
Accountant in US
Accounting Software, Self Employed

Quicken Customer Service and product ease of functionality drop since Intuit Split

Comments: After about two decades of relying on this software for myself and some clients, I am now reluctantly looking for a replacement program.

Pros:

It's super easy to utilize if you have basic bookkeeping experience and you are not accounting for investments. Menu options are sensibly grouped. Back up and restore super easy if you want to move copies of file(s) to different computers.

Cons:

Although this software has been very predictable and adequate for a long time, it has become less desirable since split from Intuit. Good luck getting thru to customer service, there have been so many complications to their change over that they are drowning in calls. Their operators are overwhelmed and seem to 'accidentally' hang up on a call all too frequently, after exhaustive hold times. I have been prompted repeatedly to change my passwords during the transition, and rather annoyingly, each time it is updated a different verification email is sent with a code that must be entered, that quickly expires. Don't get distracted, or you have to start all over! Just really inefficient, non-intuitive programming.

Barry
Retired in US
Ranching, Self Employed

Analyzing your investments

Comments: Great until Placeholder entries were added.

Pros:

Great for managing bank accounts and credit card accounts.

Cons:

There needs to be a way to stop Placeholder entries. I check my own investment accounts an like to make corrections. Placeholder entries make it very difficult to correct input errors. If you input income for an investment account and use the reinvest action, the investment performance report can't be used. The amount is added and subtracted for the report. To remove cash from an account, three or more actions (XOU, Withdraw and Withdrawx) can be used. Unfortunately, some reports only have one of these actions and that hasn't been used in the database.

President in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

Quicken - the best program for tracking expenses

Comments: Quicken is quirky, often frustrating, but there is nothing else I know of that can track finances comprehensively.

Pros:

It allows tracking of bank accounts, credit cards, and investments. No other program that I know of can do everything Quicken can.

Cons:

Quicken can be frustrating. It doesn't allow pasting into Register fields and it does not conform to many Windows conventions.

Management Consulting, Self Employed

Quicken

Comments: Still one of the easier desktop bookkeeping software to use.
Too bad no one else can create a competitive desktop bookkeeping software for the general public.
Many competitors created only an online version which can be Useless if something happens to your PC or you don't have power or an internet connection!
Worse, there's a monthly fee for their online versions!

Pros:

Relatively simple to use as the basic program is basically an electronic version of a check register. Many financial institutions have a Quicken export function for its online banking feature making bank reconciliation a bit easier.

Cons:

Don't need to use other features like investment tracker which is essentially useless for most other people Intuit FORCES people to set up an ONLINE account to link the program to, mainly for tracking and marketing purposes which is complete BS! Update function has moved over the years that it's not as simple to just click 'update' anymore JUST to update Quicken and NOTHING else! Be careful about importing information as it may not import 100% of the banking information, similar to QB. Intuit keeps marketing you to join its other financial services!

Financial Services Software, 2–10 Employees

Quicken is great

Comments: It has been massively helpful with personal finance and keeping track of bank account balances.

Pros:

I like Quicken for how it's fairly easy to set things up. I prefer manual sync since I prefer creating payees on my own, but it gives me a pretty good view of my expenses and the stocks I have.

Cons:

I'm not a fan of the subscription pricing, but to their credit Quicken did credit me a discount when I asked them after initially purchasing the software without one. I do wish the budgeting was a bit better as it's not perfect, and sometimes I feel like the direct bank sync can be a bit wonky when it comes to sharing information.

Jonny
CTO in US
Higher Education Software, 11–50 Employees

Fab on PC, run the PC version on the Mac, dumbed down online

Comments: The PC version of quicken is fully featured, and our accountant, tax professional, and finance person all like it, can use it, understand it, and can handle files / exports made with it. For a while we switched to Mac and the only people who did not switch were the finance people because of PC Quicken. With some 3rd party help we had the PC version running on the Mac. Every couple of years the support for connecting to banks and maybe file formats change, and we seem to have to update the PC version. We tried the on-line version, execs in the company asked for on-line access to view the reports etc. The capabilities of the on-line system were very reduced, not sufficient for our finance team.

Pros:

Fully features on the PC. with excellent sync with bank accounts and other financial systems, payroll etc. The online system is well priced.

Cons:

The Mac version is not fully featured. The online version is very simplified. Every couple of years for the PC version they drop support for communications to bank accounts (and file format?) so you need to buy the latest one again.