Quicken Reviews

3.9 (362) Write a Review!

About Quicken

Rental property and personal finances management solution with tenant information tracking, income management, and expense tracking.

Learn more about Quicken

Pros:

Every updated gets better. I love to be able to track every dollar I spend, and can categorize it.

Quicken ratings

3.9
3.5
3.9
3.7

7.2/10

Quicken has an overall rating of 3.9 out 5 stars based on 362 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Quicken before?

Susan
Susan
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Ideal for My Solorpreneur Marketing Consulting Business

Comments: I am very pleased with the ease of entering data into the system. It saves me the cost of having a bookkeeper. I am able to categorize expenses myself and take full advantage of knowing what i was buying for business and for personal life. I know it is saving my a lot on my taxes, as I have proof of my deductions versus just guessing. It used to take me days to prepare my docs for my CPA not it is in a matter of hours I have all the numbers she will need.

Pros:

The best feature I like is the way you can split items on a receipt into their own categories. For example, I go to Walgreens and buy cosmetics, copy paper, thank you notes, and business head shot photo prints. I enter Walgreens for the Payee, then I assign / split where the expenses will go in my categories. Cosmetic - Personal Care, Copy Paper, thank you notes - Business: Office Supplies, Photo prints - Business: Photography. I make my tax reporting a breeze for my Schedule C line items. I also love generating reports on income and expenses. Great for planning or estimating funds for seasonal work loads.

Cons:

It actually has more features than I want to use. For example - the investment section, I tried to use it - but to enter buy - sell information and dividends and details was way too time consuming for me. I just as soon get my reports from my brokerage firm.

Robyn
Executive Assistant in US
Accounting Software, 201-500 Employees

Quicken is a Great Program!

5.0 last month New

Comments: Placed it on 2 units at first to try it out in our office and loved it so much we decided to switch everyone to it instead. Been using it daily for almost 3 years now. It's an excellent program!

Pros:

It's very easy to self learn this program. It is equally as easy to teach to others too because it's simple to understand

Cons:

I have no complaints. It was easy to set up, it was easy to convert info from the prior program we were using. It was easy to learn and easy to teach to others. 10 out of 10 far as I'm concerned!

Marlene
ADMIN in Canada

Severe issues with Quicken products linking with Scotiabank

Comments: Extremely poor. The first few years with the product was great until there was a software update 2 years ago. Since then all funds that are transfered to or from Scotiabank come in as US Funds. Quicken refuses to work with the issue and just blames the bank. I have contacted all the way to headquarters and no one at scotia is even aware there is an issue because Quicken will not contact them!

Pros:

Used to like the easy way the software was able to contact servers to upload information

Cons:

SERVERS do not work with Scotiabank products for over 2 years and QUICKEN refuses to do anything about the issue

Donna
VP in US
Insurance Software, 11-50 Employees

Quicken is Easy

Comments: Print checks, reconciling bank accounts

Pros:

Very easy to use and train new employees on its use.

Cons:

All the different upgrades and customer support.

Kelli
office manager in US
Construction, 2-10 Employees

Easier to learn that Quickbooks but not as many features

Comments: Works really well for keeping track of spending across multiple accounts and offers simple solutions for designating expenses.

Pros:

I was able to easily import out multiple business accounts into Quicken, something I was not able to do with Quickbooks. Updating accounts is quick and easy too. I like the simple flagging option that allows me to mark a transaction for later investigation.

Cons:

Will not generate a simple profit and loss statement based on accounts. I understand Quicken is meant more for personal, than business use, but it would still be a nice feature to have.

Aryana
Founder in US
Consumer Services, Self Employed

quicken is inexpensive but has errors

Comments: I liked the price and the short learning curve to get up and running. I liked the flexible reporting available. There was a lot of trouble importing transactions which is why I stopped using it. It wouldn't import automatically and I had to download from the bank and Paypal and then upload.

Diane
Attorney in US
Law Practice, 2-10 Employees

Long time user for ease and price

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Very helpful and saves time for my business, keeping me informed of bank account status.

Pros:

I have been using Quicken for personal and small business use for 20 years. It is very easy to use, easier than QuickBooks, and is reasonably priced. I can keep up with bank accounts automatically updated and create helpful reports.

Cons:

Glitches in downloads with bank sometimes mess up register

Dan
Graphic Design Software, 2-10 Employees

Quicken Adds Up

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Tax and expense accounting is a breeze!!

Pros:

I upgrade to the latest Quicken Deluxe software a year ago. As a long time user I have found Quicken to be incredibly easy to learn and use by myself and my staff. Quick report functions help me with tax preparation. I love the ease of finding past expenses when a return is necessary.

Cons:

I wish it was able to be owned outright instead of a subscription. But the software will continue to work on the local installed computer but will not be able to be reinstalled on another.

Carly
Music, 2-10 Employees

Very Complete Accounting & Tax Keeping Software

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall while I don't use Quicken any longer, I'd still recommend it for users who want a professional accounting software. It's not as user friendly as Quickbooks in my opinion, but it has more in depth features for those who want to get deep into accounting for their business. Definitely a really high quality product!

Pros:

The thing I like the most about Quicken is all the features - it's very professional and can put you on the same tier as accountants! Any type of chart, graph or table you want to make, you can make. While this is great for those with more of an understanding of accounting, it's too much for me :)

Cons:

For me, Quicken was honestly a little too complex. After using it for a few years, I switched to another Intuit product - Quickbooks Self Employed online. I'm not a professional accountant by any stretch and not the best with keeping up with finances, so this was too in depth for me.

Law Practice, 2-10 Employees

Not nearly as good as the Quicken of old before sold by Intuit

Comments: I have been using Quicken for decades and it was always wonderful software. Since Intuit sold out Quicken simply has far more bugs, does not work nearly as well as the prior versions. Its too late for me to switch, but if you are starting out in your own business, consider whatever alternatives out there are available before getting bogged down with this now very buggy product. Its the old cliche I guess, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Of course this new company had to change everything up, in particular the reports function and now I find it misses transactions often enough that I don't trust the software for accuracy.

Pros:

It does its job though not nearly as well as the older versions

Cons:

Very, very buggy and far more difficult to use than the older version

James
Director in US

Lack of availability for Mac

Comments: I cannot say more than I already have. I’ve had to save information on my Mac and then pick it up on my PC just to send an invoice. This is inconvenient. It takes time that could be better off spend doing other things. Please, Quicken, bring Home and Business to Mac. Also, allow the ability to edit previous entries. I’ve noticed issues in the past that could have been easily fixed with an edit button, but you cannot. This should be fixed. As the leader in accounting software, it should have more features available than it does.

Pros:

Quicken seems to be the go-to accounting software in the industry, so naturally we went with it. We were very happy with Quicken, as it is easy to teach to our new employees. I also really like the seamlessness of the program between a Mac and a PC. My laptop is a Mac while my home computer is a PC, and I find that the program itself is very similar on both platforms, and thus very easy to use. However, we initially intended to purchase Quicken for Home and Business, but it is not available for Mac, so we had to take a step back and purchase Quicken Premier. This was more than slightly annoying, but we managed to make it work.

Cons:

The lack of availability of Home and Business for Mac is a big con for me. The Home and Business program allows for custom invoices, which would look really good for our small business. We also wanted the ability to track our profit and loss, so we purchased it for my home computer. We can still send out the custom invoices on our PCs, but it would be a lot easier if it were available for Mac. Hopefully, there will be an option to purchase Home and Business in the future for Mac.

Patrick
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Best Desktop Accounting Software

Comments: That software allows you to back up in the cloud and your computer. It has all the special effects at Quickbooks.

Pros:

Ease of use and it allows you to add multiple businesses or personal accounts. The price is what it should be for accounting software. Excellent Support, I used the support two times and was very impressed with the customer service.

Cons:

No way that I know of to recover the password vault.

Emerson
President/Owner in Mexico
Staffing & Recruiting, Self Employed

Have used it for years, still liking it!

Comments: Good, easy tool to track your money, some technical issues with downloading.

Pros:

Quicken quickly and efficiently tracks all my spending, earning and investments, and I have been able to link most of my accounts so it does it automatically.

Cons:

Not all accounts can be linked, especially not international ones. And occasionally it has brought in duplicate transactions which are a nightmare to reconcile.

Phil
Principal in US
Real Estate, Self Employed

Serious improvement is only possible with serious measurement

Comments: These days we all have multiple accounts: checking, savings, investing, real estate, retirement, etc. All these accounts are necessary in today's world, however, keeping track of them all is a serious problem. Quicken is a tool that will bring all of these accounts into a single dashboard and help you stay on top of all the changes. While Quicken is an older piece of software and will probably never see a full rewrite to make it more modern, it is the only option for serious personal finance and it works well enough to get the job done.

Pros:

It allows me to stay on top of my finances by downloading transactions from all my accounts into a single dashboard. It allows me to answer any question I have about my finances.

Cons:

It is slow! Simple tasks like reconciling an account can be aggravating as the hourglass icon comes up way more often then it should for a simple task. I have run this on a modern Intel Core i7 processor and it is still a dog. You definitely need to be patient with this software.

Daan
Senior Accounant in Netherlands
Accounting Software, 11-50 Employees

Amazing -cheap- accounting software

Comments: Great experience.

Pros:

The software has a solid UI so it is easy to see where your money goes. Easy to use and practical. Great for small to medium businesses because it is not very expensive and has many features.

Cons:

The interface can look a bit outdated to some, but al the information you need is there. In 1 place. Very convenient.

Thandile
Freelancer in South Africa
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees

Extraordinary for following your financial status, all around incredible.

Comments: Exceptional for getting your records all together and starting to see elevated perspective where you and your money is. I could have done without the evaporated features before my last update yet i'm adequate now. It's one of my essential applications!

Pros:

It's a direct mechanical assembly to use for most business structures fit for managing trades, taking everything into account, and repeat. It is the best product (in my opinion) to follow records, adventures and business pay/expenses in all cases spot and on your work region rather than having that information simply on the web. Having the option to see each record in one spot truly permits you to all the more likely control your funds and spending plan. It's absolutely the best.

Cons:

What I have gotten extremely astounded with is the marking in and my intuit ID. At whatever point the systems logs me out, for no good reason, whenever I log back in, it just doesn't take me to my standard page, it makes another page and new record for me. It's terrifying and it has been occurring even more once in a while. In like manner, I do feel the spending section of the application could use some work. I genuinely cherished it as a matter of first importance, however at this point it is fairly a desolation to use and have not used it since.

MARK
Application Developer in US
Insurance Software, 501-1,000 Employees

Great financial tool! I would be lost without it!

Comments: I love this tool and use it daily to track all of my finances. i would be lost without it!

Pros:

I love how quicken puts all of your financial companies all in one view. The biggest reason i switched from Yodlee was the fact you could add recurring future dated transactions. Many financial tracking tools do not have this. This was a make or break feature for me, as I like to see exactly how much money i will have in the bank in 30,60, 90 etc.. days in the future. Quicken does this, and does it wonderfully!

Cons:

The only con I can think of is there are too many features. I am by no means a power user, and just use the basic transaction features. I do not use any of the budgeting tools or other such things, but I am sure they are very useful to others. It would be nice to see a simple mode that turned off many of those features if you are not using them

Daniel
Daniel
Attorney in US
Law Practice, 2-10 Employees

stay up to date quickly with quicken

Comments: We first started using this back in 2003. we have used the different versions over time as they upgrade. It is great because our account is well versed in the program, and therefore it saves us time and money to do the year-end reports.

Pros:

This program is very versatile. Our account appreciates the account version that we can send him to do our year ends or PPP. It saves from manually recording checks into the register, allows us to split receipts, and split how we pay. the program is easy to use, and our bookkeeper can find online help or customer service help quickly and accurately. This is a program that is worth the money, and you won't switch because the years build off of each other.

Cons:

It takes a little time to understand how it works. You need to really pay attention to how you set your program up and enter the data to distinguish between vendors, clients, etc., overall a solid program accepted in the industry.

Roger
Property Manager in
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees

USe it daily and have since the early 1990,s

Pros:

Puts all your finances in one place, updates all accounts with minimal keystrokes rather than having to go to each website yourself (Saving lots of time) works like an on-screen checkbook. See your net worth accounts and liabilities in one place. Navigation is easy as a click of the mouse.

Cons:

Intuit, the author, recently sold Quicken to an Investment Group. When Microsoft dropped MS Money, Quicken became the Monopoly in the market. Now the new company made some changes and icons are different, some screens have pop-up windows that don't work right, and the internet is full of complaints from long time users. Most of the glitches I found are minor, but changes were made so that everyone had to renew in-order to be able to access all your accounts online with Quicken, a strategy they may use to continually force upgrades and fees! Watch for this. This is what happens when someone sees a chance to capitalize on a monopoly!

IT Directors in US
Civic & Social Organization, 2-10 Employees

A Product Whose Time Has Passed

Pros:

Quicken for more than a decade has been "the" standard for personal financial management and I used it for many years to track my families spending habits, transactions, retirement and more. It's "the" gold standard for anyone looking to track their financial health.

Cons:

Multiple online products, including Mint which is also owned by Intuit that makes Quicken, covers 90% of the features/functions that you would normally run on your computer. For those that don't want to trust their information to such web/cloud services then Quicken still remains a viable option. However, in recent years Quicken has begun to scale back on services like Bill Pay as banks and other online services take over. I don't think Quicken is going away any time soon, but it's very clear that it's time has passed and it's only a matter of time until Intuit makes the decision to retire the software.

Cheryl

Great Personal Bookkeeping Software

Comments: I really love using Quicken. I would definitely recommend it for use for personal bookkeeping.

Pros:

Quicken is very, very easy to use. It is great for bookkeeping for personal accounts. The basic Quicken does not track debt and investments, so if you want to do that you have to upgrade to the more expensive one.

Cons:

This software cannot really be used for business use. Also, I used to be able to buy the CD and install it on my computer and use it for 3 or 4 years. Now you have to pay a yearly fee to use the software. Also, when I bought the CD I could keep up with my loans and investments. Now you have to pay quite a bit more to do that.

Lynn
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Don't give up - it's probably worth it.

Comments: I had used many different types of accounting software for small and large businesses. So when I wanted a software program for my own purposes, and to grow from our personal finances into a small side business, I expected to use Quickbooks because I was familiar. Someone recommended Quicken. I tried to set it up 3 times in a free trial period, but it seemed very difficult, so I let it slide. One slow day, I persevered and completed the set up. Thank goodness I did. Once the set up is complete, the functioning is so much smoother and easier than Quickbooks was for my purposes. I'm so glad I didn't give up. I am saving time and money by using Quicken now. Well worth the effort in the set up.

Pros:

The functionality has impressed me. It's bill pay feature is better than I had anticipated, and it's layout and easy viewing is making it one of my new favorite accounting software programs - and I've had many. I didn't think I would want to stray from Quickbooks, but 3 months in and I am thinking I may not want to ever go back. Correction.... I am thinking I may not ever NEED to go back.

Cons:

I was a little overwhelmed in the set up - which is why I set up my accounts in the free trial 3 times and let it sit for months. It seemed too daunting and I was scared it would be way too complex and difficult to navigate. I just didn't give it chance. Once you get past the start, it's way easier, I believe, than Quickbooks. Simpler, so it may not be for everyone, but it is for my purposes.

Randy

Quicken is Best Desktop based Home financial software

Comments: I have used Quicken for portfolio and asset management for over 20 years. The software has improved with new technology and returns excellent value.

Pros:

Its able to link to and download complicated financial transactions, maintain their values, shares owned from most major institutions. It links to your accounts with most major bank and credit card companies. It also allows non-online assets ans liabilities to be tracked. Their reporting shows net worth statements, cash flow statement and other reports suitable to track a large and complex portfolio of assets.

Cons:

Links to some institutions can be damaged due to changing security needs. Their support in improving those links is excellent.

Doug
The Boss in US
Financial Services Software, Self Employed

have to hold your nose to deal with thieving Intuit (maker of quicken)

Comments: it sucks; see the cons.

Pros:

works most of the time but not always as upgrades have frequently broke my configured reports

Cons:

they changed to a subscription service a couple years ago and force you to pay every year when I (and millions of other users) were perfectly content with the software that we already paid them for. While I hated that they were extorting a fee from me I almost got taken by them again when I went to downgrade my service to the lowest level. Their order form online starts the subscription the day you do the downgrade rather than starting it after my existing, already paid, subscription ends (which results in them stealing another month of fees from me). I hate them but as my title suggests; I put up with them because there is no other product that does what it does as well.

Ruben
Consultant Engineer in Dominican Republic
Logistics & Supply Chain, 11-50 Employees

Another all-time favorite agonizes in the mobile era

Comments: Quicken needs to move faster to mobile and cloud if it really wants to survive.
100% integration with QuickBooks, additional security features, support for more cloud backup providers are features that should be already available but are no show.
Intuit own's Mint App is an example of how Quicken should be but, for some reason, they have decided to continue working on the same outdated software instead of relaunching.
Still, Quicken is a big respected brand in the financial software world that continues to be one of my favorites.

Pros:

- A longtime runner with a big user fan base - The very familiar interface allows old users to upgrade without a steep learning curve - Very similar Mac and Windows version allows painless platform switch - Supports most banks and account syncing in The US - Does not require a monthly or annual fee

Cons:

- The interface is beginning to look a bit outdated compared to new mobile apps available for iOS and Android - No equivalent mobile version available - Cloud syncing and backup is limited and not easy to setup (dropbox required) - Version to version upgrades sometimes include little to no enough new features for the price (That's why some users are still using 5-8 years old versions)