About Whip Around

Fleet maintenance software that helps keep your fleet safe, compliant, and running—with tools for managers, drivers, and mechanics.

Learn more about Whip Around

Pros:

Our Service Technicians picked up on it very quickly, and it encouraged them to do all pre and post-trip inspections in a timely manner, which helped with our DOT compliance.

Cons:

I hate that I didn't know this product was out here before now.

Whip Around ratings

4.8
4.9
4.7
4.7

9.4/10

Whip Around has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 514 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Whip Around before?

Peter
Peter
Supervisor & Maintenance Coordinator in Canada
Oil & Energy, 51-200 Employees

All in one Fleet management System

Pros:

Right from the start i found this software easy to use, easy to integrate and easy to maintain. It takes alot of the hassle out of Fleet management for the managers as well as the drivers. With the recent addition of the Maintenance section, we've been able to keep better track of upcoming services and certifications resulting in less down time for the fleet.

Cons:

Customization of the reports would be a benefit as well as being able to assign annual inspection dates, for CVIP or other certifications, to vehicles instead of relying on the reminders section. having it auto populate in the maintenance section when due.

Alternatives Considered: Fleet Complete

Reasons for Switching to Whip Around: Its user friendly interface and mobile monitoring functionality made it a clear choice. The exceptional customer service goes along way as well.

Bryan
Operations Director in US

Running a Transportation Company for the First Time

5.0 last month New

Comments: I often tell folks, if I didn't run a transportation company I'd be the national sales manager for the U.S. for Whip Around. I'm 100% on the team.

Pros:

The ability to save, sort and analyze data without a team of staff to transfer paper spreadsheets to complex excel files.

Cons:

While the platform design and function has certainly improved since the early days, and I'm pretty sure our company was one of your first U.S. subscribers, there is always room for growth in user/admin functionality and site navigation. But I'm confident you have people already on it.

Alternatives Considered: Verizon Connect

Reasons for Switching to Whip Around: At the time they did not offer the same services. Although they have been moving into that technology sphere more as of late.

James
Owner in US

Great Product with Critical Flaw - Avoid

2.0 last month New

Comments: Unfortunately app is only actually recording around 50% of inspections... "Known Bug" per whiparound - when I noticed and reported this had started happening they told me this was a "known bug". Been a month or more with no fix or update.

Pros:

The customization of inspections and ease of use

Cons:

Unfortunately app is only actually recording around 50% of inspections... "Known Bug" per whiparound - really poor customer service, response, and ownership of such an amazingly critical flaw.

Kira
Operations in US
Construction, 11-50 Employees

Old School to new ways....

Comments: We began our experience when Whip Around was new to the US market. Since then we have rolled along with the growth in the company. That includes switching account managers multiple times in the last year. During our first 1.5 yrs with Whip Around we had a really solid and knowledgeable go-to person who I assume knew the program inside and out due to being a part of the early days. Account managers now don't seem to have the same passion or commitment to the product as the original person we worked with. The biggest shift for me personally as a user has been feeling like we lost a personalized touch and that my input had value to the future look of updates.

Pros:

For us, the software's primary goal was for our employees to perform daily inspections for DOT compliance and the internal awareness of vehicle/equipment concerns or defects.

Cons:

As an early user, we have had to adapt to many updates, and some of those caused hiccups in our console that we manually updated once discovered. We would the app to be more useful to our shop mechanics, rather than them having to use a desktop computer for some things (out of service/back in service is a good example of that wish).

Alternatives Considered: Fleetio and Jotform

Reasons for Switching to Whip Around: We were able to negotiate our rate by committing to one year and quarterly payments. Price influenced our decision for Whip Around. We will evaluate our options when the time comes that we incur price increases.

Andrew
Shop manager in US
Automotive, 11-50 Employees

Shop Manager

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Has been great for the last 7years. Inhave brought on 3 different companys and has worked out amazingly.

Pros:

I love the ease of being able to teach new employees how to use the software in less than a day. Its very simple compared to others i have used.

Cons:

Sometimes i which the maintenance side would allow to put in a consistent hourly rate for the techs rather than you or them having to put the cost in manually.

Sonya
General Manager in US

Great Service & Platform

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: The service has been excellent. [SENSITIVE CONTENT]
is the best - so helpful, responsive and resolved a long standing issue.

Pros:

Maintenance features: Work Orders, Scheduling Programs Asset tracking Inspections once we get them implemented The software runs quick which I like.

Cons:

I wish I could select the subscription for each asset. We have a lot of small equipment that we pay a lower monthly fee on vs our vehicles. Currently I have to notify my account rep each time I add an asset to ensure it is being billed correctly.

Eric
president in Canada
Recreational Facilities & Services, 11-50 Employees

over all quick review

Comments: we have several drivers using the same vehicle on different days. in the past they'd forget to do an inspection and fake it on paperwork days later. now we know day of. if a driver had an issue and didn't report it the next days driver catches it at the beginning of the next shift. pictures tell a thousand words.

Pros:

we looked at several options and Whip Around came out on top. it's an off the shelf product that can be customized a bit for our needs

Cons:

Doesn't track (gps) our vehicles. but it's not made for that

Brian
Operations Manager in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51-200 Employees

Whip Around - Best Tool for the Job!

Comments: It just works better than anything else out there.

Pros:

Easy to use, intuitive and user friendly. A wealth of data at your fingertips. Tech support is friendly and knowledgeable.

Cons:

Needs a at a glance page probably by week showing all of your assets and the results of the last inspection. Preferably printable. It is hard looking back and remembering which vehicle had which defect unless you pull up every inspection one by one.

Darren
Fleet Manager in US
Utilities, 11-50 Employees

Whip Around for the Propane Industry

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: From the day I started my free trial, the team at Whip Around have made themselves very accessible. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] have been super helpful, building custom forms for inspections that are specific to our company's standards. Any time I have reached out with questions or needing assistance, they are quick to reply and help me out. Awesome customer service and support.

Pros:

What I like most about this software is the fact that I get a snapshot every day of what my fleet looks like and what needs to be done to make sure the wheels are always moving. If the wheels aren't moving, this company doesn't make money. I believe in preventative maintenance. I would rather be proactive that reactive. Taking care of my vehicles means they will last longer. Maintaining a vehicle is much cheaper than buying new.

Cons:

As of yet, I have not found anything about the software that I do not like.

Eugene
Shop manager in US
Oil & Energy, 11-50 Employees

Very good program

5.0 last month New

Comments: Best program I have ever used

Pros:

I love everything about this program from the maintenance side to the inspection process

Cons:

I have no bad things to say bad about this program. It take so used to get on how you use it but once you find out how it’s very easily navigated .

Mark
Project Operations Manager in US
Construction, 51-200 Employees

Where have you been all our life WhipAround?

Comments: I think much of this is answered above but I'll try to comment simply here with some bullet points.
-improved time management for our mechanics to the tune of 20%
-our fleet has stayed moving more regularly due to a streamlined means of communications and necessary repairs. We've gone from being primarily reactive to primarily proactive. In 1 half of our company we've seen an 80% reduction in rental costs and I attribute some of this to the introduction of WhipAround to our fleet of heavy equipment.
-We have improved accountability from our driver's. We can now see who is and who isn't following our policies and procedures on a daily basis and take corrective action
-In the past we operated off of homegrown spreadsheets and files to hold information about our fleet. Now we are able to have 1 spot to store vehicle/equipment info, photos, reports, faults, repairs, etc. So simple!
-Overall, I have and will continue to suggest WhipAround to anyone I associate with as I firmly believe in their product and the support from their team. We at Belknap Landscape Co. honestly couldn't be happier with our relationship

Pros:

#1 - customer service and implementation of the software into our organization was amazing. #2 - [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is number 1 in customer service and attention to our needs and product development thoughts. #3 - [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] took time to fly out to our team to help onboard our drivers into the software and provide a personal approach to the training #4 - the software is SOOO simple to use yet incredibly powerful and valuable in terms of results #5 - our drivers and mechanics now communicate totally differently than they use to in the past. Everything is streamlined and documented #6 - speaking of documentation...gone are the days of carbon copy books and tracking down hand written forms. Our organization has 4 facilities and to transfer information in a time-effective manner was everything but successful. With WhipAround the right people in our company get the information they need instantaneously allowing us to keep the right documents in the right place for legal purposes, allowing our mechanics to respond instantly to the needs of our fleet to keep them going and to effectively schedule the necessary repairs we need to run a profitable business. Everyone in the process of our fleet is accountable to their specific role when using WhipAround. Finally, the folks at WhipAround are all about product development and always open to suggestion/improvement of what they provide for a service which is a huge value add proposition in my book.

Cons:

It costs .25 cents more per month per vehicle than the carbon copy book that we used in the past. Just kidding...that's all I've got. We thoroughly enjoy the business relationship we have with the WhipAround team!

Scott
Operation's Manager in US

Great product

Comments: We are using Whip Around most particularly for Inspection reports on trucks and trailers as well as Inventory control and a mechanics checklist. Thus far, it has been great. We are supposed to be able to combine it with our Verizon Connect account, which we havent figured out as of yet, but it is a matter of time before it gets even better.

Pros:

The ease of use is probably the best thing. We did a simple training for our crew one day and started use the following Monday. It was really easy to use.

Cons:

Have not really found a con as of yet...

Alternatives Considered: GoCanvas

Reasons for Switching to Whip Around: Price. GoCanvas looked like a good product, however they wanted WAY too much money. They gave us a deep deep discount but we had to make the decision way too soon. And even WITH that discount, Whip Around beat their price. The price is based on how big your fleet is which is MUCH better than the platform GoCanvas has. Our other option was design our own app, which was going to cost us $20k+ and just really wasnt worth the effort.

4 years ago

Thanks so much for your review Scott and yes we now have an integration with Verizon Connect. We a keen to continue to develop this and improve the customer experience. Please contact your account rep at Verizon Connect to get your credentials to connect the two accounts. If you need help with configuring it please let us know via the online chat. We are there 24/7 to support you.

Christopher
COO in US

Robust, yet simple fleet management. I highly Recommend it.

Pros:

Whip Around is a critical part of managing our fleet. It allows our drivers to easily go through a custom checklist pre- and post-trip, which will email the admins of any failures or maintenance issues that are found so they can be quickly resolved. We also use Whip Around to track the miles and have set custom notifications at certain milestones for maintenance BEFORE it's due so that we can plan for downtime, etc. The maintenance module allows us to easily run repots on the overall costs per vehicle which helps us project allowances in our budget quite accurately.

Cons:

The app is always in the portrait orientation. It would be great if when you turned the device it went into landscape.

Alternatives Considered: Motive

Reasons for Switching to Whip Around: We loved how simple the interface is and the staff was helpful and sincere. The pricing structure was simple and cost effective.

Chicago Operations Manager in US
Internet, 201-500 Employees

Whip Around

Comments: Whip Around is great because it replaces the head ache of paper pretrips. It can be updated with the click of a few buttons and is very customizable to any need your business has in regards to checklist and inspections. The reporting is clean. Its very simple to add vehicles, users, or employees.

Pros:

I like that Whip Around is completely digital. It has a unique API that can be integrated into our reporting platform, Looker. I like that the software is user friendly. It is very dynamic in that changes can be made in a few minutes vs traditional hard copy inspections which would need to be reprinted or versions become obsolete. The email reporting and the web platform reporting makes it very easy to see if employees are completing their inspections. If there are faults, we can easily identity them to send on to the mechanic. We have been able to integrate it company wide very easily because of how dynamic the software is with adding new users, vehicles, locations, forms, etc.

Cons:

I would like a existing fault form that can be filled out for vehicles as they are added to the fleet or whip around is integrated. I would also like the ability to customize forms a little more with something such as a multiple photo option. I would also like a Manager version within the application. I would also like to see Whip Around continue to partner with telematics companies.

4 years ago

Thanks for the review! Multiple photo cards are being worked on along with more functionality added to the mobile app for fleet managers and mechanics. Keep an eye out for the ongoing updates!

Joseph
Operations Manager in US

My review of Whip Around

Comments: It has been a game changer, no more need for paperwork to be printed, used by drivers and mechanics, inputted into the system and then stored in a file, everything is digital and can be pulled up in seconds. Tracking the fleet is so more easier and faster, its a great product! I used it at my last job and when I moved to Montana and was hired here, this product was one of the first things I recommended we start using.

Pros:

This product took minutes to set up and get my fleet drivers logged in, theirs is very little room for error and the ease of using this product even for non techy drivers is incredible. They log in and follow the prompts to do pre/post trips, fueling, and repair work orders.

Cons:

At this time we haven't had any issues using this product, simple instructions for drivers and the mechanic to use. Following up on work orders, and the mechanic and supervisors can monitor drivers to make sure they are compliant with FMSCA and company policies

Joe
Safety and Training Manager in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 Employees

Amazing tool for remotely managing fleet and driver staff

Comments: Overall, Whip-Around is a great product and a very effective tool.

Pros:

I am part of a team that manages over 70 drivers and a fleet of 33 vehicles in 16 states. This software has been the perfect solution to remotely manage pre and post trip reports, vehicle maintenance, and driver compliance. It’s very simple to implement with drivers due in large part to not require special or expensive equipment - most of our drivers use the free app on their own smartphones. We also use inexpensive Samsung tablets which we leave on the vehicles (one per vehicle). Other great features are the document management for fleet and drivers, mechanic notifications and updates, and the ease of generating reports and summaries.

Cons:

The only thing I would like to see improve is the driver communication tools. Currently, there is no feature in place that notifies drivers of the status of faults they reported. There is a feature to leave comments on a fault report, but drivers are not notified of those comments. Also, there is a feature to alert drivers if they miss a report or to send them reminders, however, it only sends these notifications via the app for drivers, so they would have to be logged in to see it. Sending text messages directly to the drivers via their personal mobile phones would be much more effective.

Dan
Dispatching Coordinator in US

People actually helping people -

Comments: My interactions with the Whip Around crew has been great. They are actually people - can you believe that!? People helping people in an attempt to make their software better, make your jobs easier, help you solve problems and eliminate wasted time... its crazy. When I send a message to their support team on the website, I get a response (sometimes from a robot, but even the robot is helpful and a real person will be with you within a couple minutes); when I call I get to talk to someone; when I email I actually get a response - they even follow-up with appropriate calls and emails. Super great group to work with. The software has been easy to implement (given proper time to create the forms) and the way we were able to create and customize these forms has sped up the drivers times on completing pre-trip inspections, reduced the number of faults missed, and decreased our maintenance turn-around so that our vehicles are kept road-ready more often. Implementing and using Whip Around has been a very positive experience for us.

Pros:

I would change the question to ask "What DO you like most..." as we don't plan on eliminating the use of Whip Around anytime soon. It has saved us a ton of time by digitizing and streamlining a cumbersome paper data-entry process. That benefit just by itself, ignoring the other utilities of Whip Around, more than justifies its low-cost (which is another great benefit).

Cons:

There is only one small con that I can think of currently - It would be amazing if the system would auto-log drivers out after X amount of time being idle. This issue also falls on our drivers for being forgetful or non-observant, but auto-logout would eliminate the "oops, I didn't realize I was on another drivers account" hiccups.

4 years ago

Hi Dan! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are currently in discussion about the auto log out for drivers. I will be sure to keep you in the loop with this. We appreciate your business and are so excited to continue working with you!

Jeremy
Branch Owner in US
Recreational Facilities & Services, 11-50 Employees

Lifesaver

Comments: I stepped into a situation with 30 Recreational Vehicles with varying conditions and I was drowning trying to figure out which units needed what work. After researching and receiving demos from multiple providers, I did a trial of this and was sold. The utility of this tool is great and I cannot imagine trying to keep track of all these units the way we had before I bought this business.

Pros:

WhipAround understands what's important about finding, managing and resolving defects to a vehicle. From start to finish I can digitally facilitate this aspect of my work, keep straight the status of the units, communicate clearly to several stakeholders, including insurance companies. The interface is intuitive and I can navigate around it easily with links to an inspection, a defect, a form, an asset readily available.

Cons:

There are times that my inspections (which can take over an hour) will time out and I will lose my work in the middle of it. Doesn't happen often, and I think it might be if my phone switches from wifi to cell signal, but it has been frustrating. I also wish I had access to landscape photography and larger resolution images if needed.

Alternatives Considered: Record360

Reasons for Switching to Whip Around: The ability to track a defect to a work order, and it's ultimate resolution.

Daniel
Driver Manager in US
Building Materials, 201-500 Employees

Great solution with agility to customize

Comments: Improved record keeping of DVIR (electronic), improved depth inspection (photos), improved speed of communication (real-time updates), improved confidence by frontline users (Drivers) that company is adopting technologies that improve their jobs (a building of confident after training)

Pros:

Template based forms which can be customized to my my needs/specifics.

Cons:

Each card or inspection area has limit of (5) reminders/items/descriptions... sometimes needing to created additional cards vs. a longer list. (Yet, I know this limiter leads to more intentional/more thorough/higher engaged inspection) Also, some UX feedback on not being able to go to other fields when keyboard is active other than done. (variable size of tablet screens/pop-up keyboard size may be customer end constraint)

3 years ago

Hi Daniel, Thanks for taking time to provide feedback. The developers have been made aware of your suggestions. If you have other pieces of feedback, please make sure to send those over.

Lawrence
Fleet Manager in US

Inspections & Maintenance

Comments: I have loved using Whip Around. Since we have started using it, it has automated our maintenance program so when a service is due, it automatically creates a work order and sends i to our mechanic. One of the other best parts is the customer service. They have ALWAYS been prompt and helpful.

Pros:

We do all our vehicle inspections with this software. I like making sure that inspections are done by the drivers by forcing them to take pictures of all 4 sides of the vehicle. It also helps if we find damage to be able to go back and find when it appeared and have proof.

Cons:

I am still working on figuring out the maintenance side of it. There have been several improvements. The one issue is that a drivers comments do not appear on a work order. When you turn a defect to a work order, it only shows the category. For example, lights, when the driver fails it and says right headlight out, it only shows on the work order as a light failure.

RITA
DOT Compliance Manager in US
Renewables & Environment, 11-50 Employees

One of Our Best Tools

Comments: From the moment we expressed interest in this product, we have had a great experience. Their customer service is always available and always helpful. I've expressed interest in having other features before and they listened. This is a great company with a great product. This is one of the best tools we have in our DOT Compliance program.

Pros:

Whip Around is easy to set up and use. Driver training can be done in minutes. Also, the card system it uses can be tailored to your company's needs, and our drivers actually like doing their inspections this way. I have no doubt that our drivers always did their inspections, but getting them to correctly fill out inspection forms was a nightmare. With Whip Around, all the problems I had with paper inspection forms were solved and I am getting more complete inspections than ever before.

Cons:

At this time, I have no cons to report regarding Whip Around.

George
Fleet manager/lead mechanic in US

Pleasantly surprised

Comments: we started using the app immediately and as a result breakdowns and roadcalls are down 40% from the previous 6 month period. repairs are scheduledmore efficiently reducing down time and I don't have massive bundles of DVIR slips to sift through or store

Pros:

I can set reminders to go off on the drivers phones until they have completed their daily inspections, I can go back through the inspections to see who is doing them and who isn't, the app gives me a leader board so I can recognize the drivers that are following new protocols as requested

Cons:

in order to add new drivers or equipment I need to have it done vs being able to just do it myself and there are no generic reports for rental units

3 years ago

Hi George! Thank you for leaving us this feedback! I wanted to reach out and let you know that as an Admin on the account, you are able to add new drivers and equipment. Also, the forms are customizable and you can add all of the reports you would like! We offer a daily webinar training that covers all of this, so feel free to give us a call to get registered for one!

Glenn
Training Manager in US

GlennM

Comments: The online help is very quick and useful when training new admin users.

Pros:

Ease of creating forms that include photos to be input by drivers. Easy for drivers learn to use right away.

Cons:

having to create a 'team' for each driver/asset.

Alternatives Considered: Fleetio

Reasons for Switching to Whip Around: Ease of use by drivers and admin staff. Effectiveness of reporting to admin.

Brian
Operations manager in US
Logistics & Supply Chain, 51-200 Employees

Logistics usage.

Comments: Overall WhipAround is a huge improvement to some of the more archaic methods of fleet management. The interface is a healthy design, user friendly, and excellent at navigating you where you want to be. The product itself offers a vast amount of tools and resources available to you at different levels.

Pros:

I enjoy the ease of general fleet management. Helps us detect issues that could otherwise go unnoticed.

Cons:

I don't have much to say about cons, it's more about the usage we personally get out of the product vs the capacity it could provide other companies that operate differently.

Johnnie
Operations Department Head in US

Pre and Post Trip Reports

Comments: We just recently had a training conference call and webinar last week with members of our management team and Whip Around. They were very knowledgeable and informative. CSR was fantastic in answering all of our questions.

Pros:

We use Whip Around every day for our Pre and Post Trip Inspections for our entire fleet which is about 30 trucks and drivers. It's very simplistic for the administrator as far as customization. And it's very easy for the end users (our drivers) to use. It also helps our Fleet Maintenance Department track faults and needed repairs.

Cons:

Our company has been using this software for the last few years. However, being new to the company, I personally have only been using it for the past 5 months. But so far, I can honestly say, there's not too much this software is lacking.