About Automox

Automox is a cloud-based patch management platform - modern cyber hygiene to raise the world's security confidence.

Learn more about Automox

Automox ratings

4.5

9.3/10

Automox has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 55 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Automox before?

Head of IT in UK
Telecommunications, 201-500 Employees

Excellent patch management tool, that needs better dashboards and integrations.

Comments: It's been a blessing, especially now all our workers are allowed to work remotely as much as they like. Without it, we'd have a real problem managing patches and enforcing certain system settings that used to require a VPN connection (sometimes rarely connected) or being in the office.

Pros:

It's really easy to use and configure, which is great when you're a small team with a limited budget, but the thing I love most is that it's cross-platform, so we don't need 3 or 4 tools, scripts, or manual updates to manage all different Operating Systems and applications we use.

Cons:

The dashboard is, well, pretty ugly, and doesn't really offer any customisation. I'd love to see UI update and custom charts based off search criteria.

Alternatives Considered: Jamf Pro and System Center

Reasons for Switching to Automox: Cost and ease of use. It needed to be manageable internally without requiring a load of consultancy to set up and keep going.

Mike
IT Director in US
Education Management, 51-200 Employees

Automox

Comments: Outstanding. Product has done exactly what is advertised (patch management) at a fair price. Support has also been great for the few times I had needed to reach out. They stayed on top of the ticket until it was resolved.

Pros:

As a very small department with hundreds of computers with various software packages installed, I needed a way to top-down see the patch cadence. Automox was quick to deploy and quick to start getting results that I could take action on.

Cons:

The core patch anagement features are great, but since there's an agent there may be some additional capability that could be added: Send message to user, shutdown computer, uninstall software, etc.

Alternatives Considered: Kaseya VSA

Reasons for Switching to Automox: Price and demo trial period felt closer to what I was looking for.

3 years ago

Thanks for the review Mike! We do actually have the ability to do the things you listed in the Cons section using the Worklets feature. Check out the Worklets category on our community where we have Worklets to send messages, shut down computers and remove unwanted software. If you need help getting a Worklet written to accomplish a task, please reach out to us and we're happy to help.

Sr. Network Security Engineer in US
Insurance Software, 501-1,000 Employees

Finally a software deployment tool that just works

Comments: We had a very successful POC which showed how much time we would be saving using their platform.
Automox can automatically deploy patches endpoints need for OS or third-party applications.
I'm also very excited about the features they will be adding to their platform.

Pros:

I love how responsive the product is for being agent-based. Multi-platform support makes it easy to use one product for your patching and software deployment needs. Automatic scanning which uncovers which patches are needed for installed applications/OS. Their live dashboard makes it easy to determine the level of compliance. Their built-in live chat makes it easy to connect with Support to resolve issues.

Cons:

Their current reporting makes for troubleshooting deployment issues difficult sometimes but their support is top-notch and I've been told this is being addressed as is on their roadmap.

3 years ago

Thanks for the great review, Nathan! We're glad to hear you're having a great experience with Automox. Reporting updates are absolutely on the roadmap. Stay tuned for exciting reporting updates coming soon!

AVP, Information Systems in US
Insurance Software, 201-500 Employees

Streamlining and simplifying our patching strategy in a "Do More with Less" world.

Comments: Automox has significantly reduced our time it takes to patch our systems. We also are patching additional risks that were difficult to cover with other products. The result: A better security position for the company based on the risk reports we present to our executive leadership and risk committees.

Pros:

This product is easy to configure, distribute, and use. It has cut down our patching cycle significantly, plus it doesn't require babysitting like many other solutions on the market. The biggest "like" though is that it has significantly reduced the risk of our company based on the reports we run from our vulnerability scanning.

Cons:

UI continues to need some improvement; however, they do publish updates regularly.

Alternatives Considered: Ivanti Patch

Reasons for Choosing Automox: We still use PDQ for system configuration management which it absolutely shines at, but it is lacking on patch management and execution. We are still avid PDQ users in that CM space.

Switched From: PDQ Deploy

Reasons for Switching to Automox: We were also using Ivanti at the time to some degree, but the product is a bit of a train wreck as it is similar to a teenager's room. It gets out of control and is difficult to manage. It is also very resource heavy. I only have so many personnel resources I can use, so we needed a solution that was easy to implement and use.

3 years ago

Thanks for the great review, John! Time to patch is a critical metric we believe more organizations need to understand and act on to ensure they're reducing security gaps. We agree that the UI needs some attention, and we've been actively working on some pretty cool updates. Stay tuned!

Alan
Alan
Founder in US
Computer Software, Self Employed

Set it and forget it!

Comments: 10/10 would roll this product out everytime someone needs to do automated patch management for small/medium businesses.

Pros:

Worklets feature is extreme useful for running scripts against your assets. This saved me big time with rolling out upgrades of AV software that were not exactly Big Sur ready. Automox is still rapidly building and evolving their product to meet the needs of the community and progress is very transparent. If they decided to go into the MDM space for mac management, that would double their value proposition.

Cons:

The scheduling is still relatively naive, it will reboot your computer during a zoom because there's no "benefit of the doubt" if you miss their pop-up notifications. There's no way to do bandwidth capping for downloads. There doesn't seem to be any uninstall prevention.

Alternatives Considered: Jamf Pro

Reasons for Switching to Automox: Pricing and ease of rollout.

Abhilash
Director of IT in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees

Perfect for mixed environments

Comments: I wish I had signed up for Automox earlier. It has reduced my department's overhead regarding maintaining updates quite a bit.

Pros:

Where to start -- > Easy deployment > Can be used as a basic inventory management system > Integrates with Crowdstrike Falcon > Windows computers no longer need to be in the network to receive updates from the server > Can be used to replace Jamf for Macs since this handles Mac updates as well > Other than OS updates, Automox updates many apps like Adobe, Zoom, Webex as well > Excellent admin interface and dashboard

Cons:

Not necessarily a con, but I would like a note/remark option under each computer so that I can add notes or encryption keys

Danny
IT Specialist in US
Education Management, 51-200 Employees

Awesome product

Comments: Automox is the first patch management software I've used that I can trust to get the job done without babysitting. That said I did take 4 months of babysitting to prove to myself that I can finally relax, a little, and not worry about the job getting done.

Pros:

Fast, Reliable, easy to configure and very easy to use.

Cons:

The only issue I've seen so far, not really a problem just an annoyance, is when you sort by "Group Membership" it sorts the pages separately instead of truly sorting by the column. Like I said, just annoying.

3 years ago

Hi Danny! Thank you for your awesome feedback. We hear on you on your frustrations with around group membership sorting have it on our roadmap to solve! Glad to hear you like our product and it's very easy to use!

Corey
Network and Systems Admin in Canada

Possibilities are endless - Not just an update platform

Comments: It's been a delight working with the software and the Automox team themselves. They're a great bunch that truly understands the needs of their customers. Solid A+

Pros:

Windows Updates were our only priority when finding a solution, but once I realized the potential of what they had on their roadmap... I was hooked. Windows Updates/Software Patch Management/Custom policies/Reporting/Live dashboard.... It is a hefty tool that I plan to take advantage of as long as possible. They're always improving and adding features, and they take customer feedback very seriously. I've seen features fixed/updated or even features I've suggested on their roadmap within a week of discussing.

Cons:

Originally, dashboard performance was hit/miss. It has improved a lot since then, and they're still working on further improving performance.

3 years ago

Thank you so much for the feedback, Corey! We appreciate the grade on our work and are excited to hear your experience has been excellent! We are constantly improving performance and are glad to see you noticed as well as the features we add. We're excited for the future and to work more with happy users like yourself.

IT Manager in US
Higher Education Software, 51-200 Employees

Game Changer!

Comments: I found Automox at a conference and purchased about two weeks later. The team has been great to work with and stayed in touch, unlike so many others that disappear into the night after the PO is signed.

Pros:

It took me nearly 20 years in I.T. to finally find a patch/update solution that I liked and that actually worked. In most simple terms...Automox just works! Setting up Automox itself was trivial. Installing the client is one of the easiest clients. After that...check in periodically, approve patches, and rest easy...because for once you know your systems are actually patched. Plus you have reporting for management without any extra effort.

Cons:

It needs to grow more. Right now it still doesn't support 100% of our software, including some heavily used well-know titles. Support for other software needs to grow by at least 10x if it's going to have a chance to succeed. The software deployment piece also has some kinks to work out.

3 years ago

That's for the great feedback! We agree that supported software needs improvement and are actively working on it! If you're open to it, please send our Support team ([email protected]) the software titles you would like to see as it can help us prioritize our list.

IT Manager in UK
Professional Training & Coaching, 51-200 Employees

Cloud based patch management ideal for multi-site and remote users

Comments: I have seen a big improvement in patching remote systems and laptops over the last two years. The cost involved with Automox is offset by the time that would have been wasted on WSUS and the non-profit discount is a great help.

Pros:

The software is simple to deploy and requires little attention once installed, but ensures excellent endpoint visibility. If you consider patching to have the same importance as endpoint security, you need a tool like this to see the patch status of your endpoints and servers.

Cons:

You need to remember to delete retired endpoints from the console.

3 years ago

Well stated, David! Thanks for your input and we agree the retired endpoints reminder is a great idea. We will add that to some other discussions around our roadmap.

Jason
IT Manager in UK
Construction, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Exactly What We Needed

Comments: It has been a good experience and their teams are very helpful and responsive.

Pros:

It covers the most popular software packages on the market and allows us to address anything not picked up it our other products

Cons:

Needs more APi to some of the other platforms we use but they are always willing to accept and add others to their list.

Alternatives Considered: Kaseya VSA

Reasons for Switching to Automox: It worked the best, and had the important APi, we needed for integration to existing SIEM.

Zachary
Zachary
Senior Technology Support Admin in US

Great Patch Management Unrivaled Reliability

Comments: Great. We haven't found another solution that enforces patch policies as reliably as Automox, let alone making manual approvals of patches as easy as it is.

Pros:

Powerful patch management and proven reliability. Excellent reporting and policy enforcement.

Cons:

Software deployment can be slightly more complicated than some other solutions as it does require some scripting to complete the process. However, it is worth noting that scripting process isn't terribly difficult and is well documented.

Alternatives Considered: ManageEngine Patch Manager Plus, SolarWinds Patch Manager, Workspace ONE and System Center

Brendan
Information Security in US
Insurance Software, 501-1,000 Employees

Trifecta - Mac, Windows, Linux management

Comments: Even though it is new, I am impressed. Any new start up would be crazy not to give this tool a look. Any IT shop that is cross-platform should give them a try too.

Pros:

The requirements of my management tool were hard to fill: support the 3 major OS client flavors, be run as an SaaS offering, and it must not depend on Active Directory. I was surprised to find all 3 requirements were near impossible to find, heck even 1 of the 3 was a challenge, 2 seemed impossible. Then I stumbled on Automox - all 3 boxes checked. The test drive was simple - and powerful. The tool is fast too! Once a client is installed it is mere moments until a complete hardware/software inventory is reported in the console, and policies are ready to be deployed. Need software to go out to a Macbook, Windows laptop, and Linux rig? It can do all three.

Cons:

The solution is new - and still working on features. It isn't buggy as you might expect, but it lacks great reporting, and a few features I would love to see. However they do respond to requests, and they do share their roadmap with customers. So I know some of the drawbacks are already on the way to improvement.

3 years ago

Thank you for the feedback, Brendan! We're excited for the future of reporting among other areas we're focusing our efforts this year.

Gregory
Managing Director in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees

Life Saver

Comments: We deployed Automox to help patching and maintaining of almost 100 computers and 15 servers onsite and cloud based. Most of the staff has been in a hybrid work scenario office/remote so the old methods of updates were time consuming. Automox was also easy to implement in our BYOD environment. Saved a huge amount of time. We tried other solutions or modules in our RMM but they required constant work. We spend much less time administering Automox.

Pros:

Appreciated the ease of use and the quick start up time and quick responses from the support team. Use on both Macs and PCs was much easier than other systems.

Cons:

Don't have a con so far. I haven't had a bad experience yet.

Daniel
Systems Administrator in US
Museums & Institutions, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Simple and Stable Patching Solution

Comments: Great, zero complaints. Support has been excelent, the one time I needed to contact them (which was due to my lack on knowledge rather than an actual issue.)

Pros:

Easy UI to Learn, Easy to setup Patching Policies, Easy Install Process, Fast and Knowledgeable Support, Fast UI Load Times.

Cons:

Possibly too simple for companies that want more hands-on control with patching.

3 years ago

Thank you for the great feedback, Daniel! We're happy to hear you're having a great experience and see the value of the hands-off approach. As for more hands-on control, we have some features on our roadmap to address this!

Senior IT System Administrator in Canada
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Automox - SaaS Patch Management for IT teams

Comments: Due the fact that we have globally multiple locations and are workforce is also remote, Automox solve many issues which we had before to keep our computers up to date and patch against the latest security threats. We had tried few products and none of them was so simple to use, deploy and get to business ion very short period of time for our IT team.

Pros:

Simplicity of deployment, not requirement of long training to get use to it, cross support for Windows/Max and Linux. Ability to patch system that are remote and not physically in the office.

Cons:

In beginning there were not many features and no SSO support -- this has been quickly added into the product in very short period of time.

3 years ago

Thanks for noticing our new features, we appreciate it! We have more coming, stay tuned!

Mark
IT Analyst in US
Government Administration, 51-200 Employees

Automox - Easy to implement and maintain.

Comments: The ease of use is what brought us to Automox. They haven't disappointed.

Pros:

Very easy to implement and maintain. Automox is customizable with Grouping of devices and different types of policies. The types of policies include the standard types of patches, plus things like required software , and more detailed scripting via Worklets to do just about anything.

Cons:

Not really any dislikes. They continually rollout features and improvements. These can tracked by viewing the product roadmap.

Gary
Junior Security Analyst in UK

Timely patching, and save time!

Pros:

It reduces the amount of manual work I have to do on users machines to ensure they are patched and up to date. I can easily identify when critical patches come in and inform users what's happening, creating that great user experience.

Cons:

The notifications have been slightly problematic for us as users do not know what is updating (on the basic patching licence). Office has sometimes just shut down in the middle of a user doing work. This could be addressed in the full version by creating custom policies for certain high-touch products/software packages. Reboot notifications could do with being more obvious to the user, who is highly likely to simply click it and not pay attention, though this is not direct failing on Automox's part. A small change in wording may help change the impact ("Install now" vs "Install and reboot")

3 years ago

Great feedback, Gary! Thank you! We're happy we could save you time and keep your machines patched and up to date. As for your thoughts on the notifications, we agree and appreciate your input here. We have notifications on our roadmap and look forward to hearing more from users like yourself down the road.

Manoj
Manoj
CEO in India
Information Services, 51-200 Employees

Simple software that continues to get better

Comments: The software is simple and rollout is seamless, the console ensures we know whats going on for updates on our inhouse and cloud servers, this relieves a lot of manual work which we used to do on the boxs to keep them upto speed with windows updates.

Pros:

Constant upgrades, good service and clear communication.

Cons:

Lack of formal inventory planning, they are getting there but I dont think its a priority yet, however at the print point automox is a great value.

Director of IT and DevOps in US
Education Management, 201-500 Employees

Best in market OS agnostic cloud native patch/vulnerability remediation solution.

Comments: Fully solved our need for patching/vulnerability management. Full stop.

Pros:

Automox's laser focus on patching/vulnerability remediation makes beats multifunction competitors who try to do too much and fail in multiple areas. If you're looking for patching stop and try Automox now.

Cons:

Reporting has made huge improvements in the last year but still has room for improvement. They're also adding 3rd party software but currently don't have wide coverage.

Tina
Chief Operating Officer in US
Banking, 11-50 Employees

Program updating made easy!

Comments: The interaction is the Automox customer service is great; any question I have had has been answered quickly and concisely.

Pros:

The Automox program has made my life so much easier. The installation and set up process is extremely easy; once you add your servers and workstations, set up groups and assign the IP addresses to the group, you are finished. The reporting is easy and clear and the notification process is as easy as checking a box and reading the email!

Cons:

I have not found any cons. My experience with Automox has been wonderful.

3 years ago

Thank you so much for the great review, Tina!

Director of IT in US
Telecommunications, 201-500 Employees

Automox Review

Comments: Great product. Anticipate using it beyond its intended lifecycle. Made life a lot easier and a lot simpler.

Pros:

Ease of use. Easy to setup and deploy. Cost is effective. worked great during the beginning of the Pandemic when on-prem update services had major drawbacks.

Cons:

Integration with AV was tiring. Troubleshooting software deployment packages.

Darrell
Support Engineer in US

Easy cloud management for updates and patches for OS and software

Comments: Gives us an overview of computer updates and problem computers

Pros:

Easy to deploy with group policy and has an easy to read dashboard that makes it simple to spot problem computers. Supports multiple organizations without having to use different logins

Cons:

Takes time to learn the new interface after major updates, does not have an obvious alert when you run out of endpoint licences

George
George
Lead Tech - Operations Engineer in US
, 11-50 Employees

Great product. Easy to use and deploy. Phenomenal Customer Service.

Comments: Automated patch management for my end-users. Peace of mind for my team and I knowing that we do not need to manual patch systems.

Pros:

Organization deployment is quick and painless. Current UI is lightyears ahead of the previous version which makes navigation easy and logical.

Cons:

Small UI quirks here and there. Scheduling is not as exact as I would like. All of which is on their road map.

Director of Information Technology in US
Education Management, 11-50 Employees

Great patching solution

Comments: Automox has been great in terms of support, billing, new features, etc.

Pros:

It is web-based and easy to use. Login, review or kick-off a patching cycle and that's that!

Cons:

Hmmm, that is a tough one. I think all patching software has problems getting all of the patching done so there still is some manual intervention, but a small percentage.

3 years ago

Thanks for the great review, John!