Box Reviews

4.4 (4,562) Write a Review!

About Box

Box empowers teams to work from anywhere with a single, secure collaboration platform built for the entire content lifecycle.

Learn more about Box

Pros:

Easier to use than Dropbox. Better customer service.

Cons:

If you don't know what "folder" a document is in - or even its exact document name, the search tool can be very difficult, and almost useless.

Box ratings

4.4
4.2
4.3
4.3

8.3/10

Box has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 4,562 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Box before?

Filter reviews (4,562)

Freya
Freya
Content Marketing Manager in France

Great for document storage on a budget

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

I've used the free version of Box for a non-profit I was involved in for several years. We switched from DropBox because of space limitations with the latter (we would have had to have paid for an upgrade and as a non-profit, that wasn't possible). I find Box easier to use, too.

Cons:

there's not really anything I don't like about it

Jill
Treasury & Shared Services Manager in US
Construction, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Box is serving as our One Source for all Collaborative Work

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Box has been a positive and timely addition to the tools we use. We moved to Box just prior to the pandemic and it has become a staple for our now hybrid workteams.

Pros:

Documents are easily stored and shared through our disbursed team. Having Box eliminates the need to keep local copies of important documents and allow for better control of versions. We have moved all of our Work Instructions and forms to Box for use within our Finance Team and for use by all company members. You can restrict access to ensure only those who need access can have it.

Cons:

One thing it took us a while to get the hang of, is locking a shared document while we are updating it. If you don't lock the document, multiple people can access it and update it at the same time. Only upon saving would the team members learn that that we now have multiple copies of the same document and that none of them would be accurate.

Jerry
Attorney in US
Law Practice, Self Employed

Beware small print. Misleading site as to costs and # of users.

1.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Was looking for alternative to Dropbox. Dropbox was not syncing correctly.

Cons:

I had a "individual" account. Was trying to upgrade it to a different tier that stated a cost Of $60.00. I am the only user. I missed seeing the much smaller print on the site which stated a three user minimum. I guess my 70 year eyes are not as good they used to me. I put in my credit card and it went through. AFTER it went through, it displayed a confirmation charge of $180. (those 3 users). I immediately tried calling them, chatting with them, but couldn't get through the correct number. I sent them an email to their billing dept which was the only email address I could fine. They responded without directly stating if they would refund the money. I am still waiting for a response. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. THERE ARE OTHER ALTERNATIVES. I PLAN TO WITE AS MANY NEGATIVE REVIEWS ABOUT BOX.COM I CAN SO OTHERS WILL NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I MADE.

Medical Analist in India
Medical Practice, 51-200 Employees

Outstanding product

Comments: I'm just taken in by the quality-to-cheap ratio. Box provides a wide range of highly competent services at a reasonable price.

Pros:

Simple, intuitive, simple to use, and offers data transfer and networking that is extremely secure. Box also provides excellent value for the money. Although I primarily use Box to store and exchange files online, I have occasionally used its collaborative tools and I absolutely love them. Regarding a document that is being drafted, team members can share thoughts, opinions, and links. Some of these features were progressively added to productivity programs like Office, but you need to use OneDrive to get them (and I don't want to be identified with a particular cloud storage service). Simple, intuitive, simple to use, and offers data transfer and networking that is extremely secure. Box also provides excellent value for the money. Although I primarily use Box to store and exchange files online, I have occasionally used its collaborative tools and I absolutely love them. Regarding a document that is being drafted, team members can share thoughts, opinions, and links. Some of these features were progressively added to productivity programs like Office, but you need to use OneDrive to get them (and I don't want to be identified with a particular cloud storage service).

Cons:

Box offers services that are just as amazing as the things it offers. Sorry but I am not able to find any cons

Siokas
Siokas
Post-doc Researcher in Greece
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees

Simple and efficient cloud storing software

5.0 last month New

Comments: It is a useful tool.

Pros:

It has a simple and easy-to-use interface. The online version of Box is efficient.

Cons:

The data management plan it offers and the potential integrations with the different systems. It is not as easy as with other products.

Rex
Rex
Lead Pastor in US
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees

A great Dropbox alternative

5.0 last month New

Comments: Our nonprofit uses Box to share documents within the building. It’s saved a lot of moving usb drives up and down the hallway, and it’s very reliable.

Pros:

Box is simple, reliable, and cheap. It’s a great alternative to Dropbox.

Cons:

The max file upload size for the free tier is pretty low.

Palla
Web Master in India

Best Alternative to Google Drive in US

5.0 last month New

Comments: Box has been alternative storage space other than the default one. Only if the storage could be increased and speed up documents sharing it will be perfect.

Pros:

One of the foremost cloud storage solutions helps me believe it.Good infrastructure support. File upload limit. Built-in integrations with Office 365

Cons:

Pricing is high. sometimes doesn't play well with Windows 10.

Jacob
Jacob
Associate Wealth Management Advisor in US
Financial Services Software, 11-50 Employees

Reliable document cloud storage

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

We no longer use Box, but during our time of use, it met our expectations of storing our documents for client meetings and was quick to upload to the cloud.

Cons:

Every once in a while, we had some syncing issues. I am unsure if it was caused by Box or if other variables were at play.

Evelyn
Evelyn
Digital Marketing Manager & Content Creator in US

Reliable System

Comments: My experience has been always good with this software despite they reduced considerably the space I used to have when changed their prices strategy.

Pros:

The user interface is very user friendly. The price is very fair compared with some competitors. It does provide several features to host and manage documents, other than just hosting them in the cloud.

Cons:

It fell behind some alternatives such as OneDrive or GoogleDrive which have much more integrations and document capabilities.

Mona
Office Manager in US
Law Practice, 11-50 Employees

4 in 1

Comments: This experience has left me feeling mostly satisfied and impressed with Box.
They have a great idea here and it saves time in a variety of situations. For me having a document already imported saves a lot of time, I don’t have to go and search for it or try and remember where it’s stored. If I have a question I can ask and receive an answer without leaving Box.

Pros:

This is one of the best because it’s like having 4 in 1. Cloud management, collaboration, assignment schedule, and electronic signature with Box Sign. It’s not too expensive and all the things I get are used daily. It couldn’t be easier to use for electronic signatures, the documents are already in Box so I don’t need to send them out. I don’t have to directly share something for others to see it, but I can share directly if I want to and it’s easy. There is a message board that can be kept open and assignments can be created and scheduled. Box can open Adobe or PDF, Word, and Google Docs files, it’s opened or read all files I’ve imported. This is secure enough to use for legal documents or client records, it’s protected with encryption and requires little monitoring.

Cons:

Box Sign is easy to use but it’s not as good as it could be. I don’t think the cloud storage management is the best, the other ladies at the office agree. File versions became lost and the overall manner of storing wasn’t great.

Richard in US
Law Practice, 51-200 Employees

Good for off site back up, I tend to use Sync for the day-to-day though

Comments: Overall, they are OK for stuff that I've encrypted myself and just want to have a redundant backup. I really should figure out how to use amazon glacier for that, but box makes it too easy and cheap. There's only so many hours in the day.

Pros:

I like that this software just works without a bunch of hassle. I also like that box is not, to my knowledge, google or microsoft. No need to have either of them snooping through my files. At the time I switched from dropbox, I was very happy that box wasn't dropbox. I think Box used to have faster pipes than Sync but am not so sure anymore.

Cons:

I think that Sync.com has a better product for my day-to-day. All I really want is secure storage and for all my computers to sync up certain directories. I don't want to ever doubt that every file is synced onto every computer. I left dropbox because their smartsync made me wonder if I was getting what I wanted. I think Sync is the company that is most focused on giving me exactly what I want. Box is OK, but they aren't focused on the precise thing I'm after. That makes me worry that they are going to go the dropbox route and try to some "smart" thing that makes them useless to me. Also, there was the box hacker exploit discovered in 2019. I think that's when I moved important stuff to Sync.

Professor in Italy
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees

Smooth and feature-rich

Comments: I use Box to backup and sync shared projects. I appreciate the fact that my contacts can set up a fully-functional Box account for free, something that makes it considerably easier to bring them on board. The interface is intuitive and easy to use, so you get started in a few minutes and then are good to go. The web interface helps you learn about collaboration features that make your work more productive.

Pros:

While most of the time I just use Box as a way to backup and share files on the cloud, I have occasionally used its collaboration features and I find them amazing. Team members can exchange messages, views, links regarding a document that is being drafted. Some of these functions were gradually added to productivity softwares like Office, but you are bound to use OneDrive to have them (and I don't want to be captured by a specific cloud storage provider).

Cons:

The desktop client has had occasional crashes from time to time, but I am unsure whether this may depend on my side (e.g., Windows updates that need some days to be "digested" by the Box software). Overall, I find this product stable and reliable. In my limited experience, I cannot think of any major feature that is not already included.

Oscar
Marketing Director in US
Real Estate, 51-200 Employees

It is comfortable to work collaboratively in Box

Comments: Box was born as a solution in my organization since before files were managed locally with internal servers where employees who are outside the workplace who want to access have to resort to a VPN and a type of access to the platform where they are. company files such as photos of properties for sale, rentals, sales made and other confidential files. With Box it has been possible to solve this problem of long-distance access since it only requires the employee's email to add it to the cloud and he can access it without any problem with established permissions and without requiring any type of VPN or protocol to be able to to access. It was also a good choice for this file manager in the cloud due to its plans since it is cheaper to have a certain number of box storage than to purchase physical storage with its respective backup, this greatly improves the return on investment for the organization.

Pros:

Box has been the best, most intuitive and complete cloud file storage that can be had within the company where I work . I like the security that it has because that way I can protect the privacy of sensitive company files without compromising confidentiality. Its interface has reached a minimalist style that make Box seem like a simple file manager that comes with Windows, but in this case it's in the cloud. I think the feature of being able to grant access or no to all files is great, this being able to maintain better security when sharing and collaborating within Box. The dark mode allows me to have a more comfortable workflow because I am one of the people who spends a lot of time in front of the monitor and this is a great help for my eyes. I can easily work in collaborative mode and kow who made changes to the file or folder, this make it easier when it comes to projects in wich a team needs to consult or edit files without resorting to other archaic means of sharing information.

Cons:

I really like most of the features of this platform but I have small drawbacks compared to some that do not harm the user experience or functionality as much. However, I would like the to improve those aspects because Box would be much more complete and attractive. Among the aspects that I want to improve is the preview of the files, for example I am intereted in certain files to verify information such as a photograph and verify that everything is fine without having to open the file, because in Box it is like blurry to see the preview and I have to open the file directly to check. Another problem that I have presented several times is that when I work with my team on a file or folder and we make changes simultaneously to maximize the workflow, there is no indication when someones is editing a document at the same time, creating several versions of the edition and turning everything into chaos.

Kavya
Graduate Student in US
Research, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Probably my most used file management software

Comments: I've used this while working with a team at a startup and in graduate school now. Highly recommend for both collaboration as well as backing up document and cloud storage.

Pros:

Box Sync is the first thing I'd recommend if you don't have that already. It sets up a folder on your local computer that you can treat as a folder just like 'Documents' and it syncs automatically when you're connected to wifi. I also like using Box Sync with Mendeley (reference manager) because it syncs all the docs in Mendeley into a single location on Box, which is great. I can make notes in the PDFs and it syncs into Mendeley so that I can see my comments there as well. The version control has saved my many times because every time you create a new version or save a document, it holds onto old versions. This way if you accidentally overwrite something, you can usually go back into Box online, look at previous versions, and restore the right one. It's also easy to use and isn't finicky like many software.

Cons:

Unlike most of my software reviews, I don't have much to say for cons.

Alhassan
Research Coordinator in Ghana
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees

Box is the perfect all-round solution for all file management needs

Comments: I initially struggled to get used to their folder structures and access controls and preferred to assimilate and integrate them into the existing product I was already using. But after insistence from the team, I was forced to learn and adapt to Box. After a few days however, I started to get the hang of things and ended up using it just as much as I did my original product. I also find it more suited for smaller project teams than the alternative I was already used to.

Pros:

Real time file syncing across all linked devices and accounts is truly amazing. It makes team collaboration in these times of remote working extremely efficient. And we no longer have to keep transferring documents to and fro as email attachments, which is not as secure. The comprehensive audit trail records also makes backtracking and management of unauthorized access and activity very simple.

Cons:

Setting different access privileges for individual team members with access to shared folders can be a bit confusing. The process could be made a lot simpler with a tabular entries with individual columns dedicated to each access level.

Digital Sales & Partnerships Operations in US
Marketing & Advertising, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Excellent document storage & management

Comments: Box empowered us to build a robust document repository that makes it simple for anyone on our team to find the files they're looking for.

Pros:

Box has made our lives a million times easier by empowering us to store, organize, and share files of all types. We save our company assets, photos, Microsoft Word/Powerpoint/Excel docs, PDFs, etc in various folders. We love the ability to tag files so we can find them easily. The document sharing features are excellent. I especially like the preview feature (it's much better than Google Drive's preview option).

Cons:

My biggest complaint about Box isn't Box's fault – it's my company's settings. My company chose to have shared file links expire after about 30 days, which is a pain in the neck sometimes.

Ali
Ali
Information Technology Adviser in Azerbaijan

Transfer and share files easily and securely in the cloud

Comments: One of the first options in transferring our files and offering in the list of required and recommended items to companies and organizations that we consult. If you have different meetings and need different files in the meetings, safely create a secure cloud space of your files in the box because one day it will come in handy. Having a backup on the secure cloud storage is always life-saving, and experience has shown that floppy disks, CDs, and flash drives and computer headers are not enough for a successful business.

Pros:

I like the simplicity and good features and the appropriate speed of Box platform, you can easily transfer files from any device to the cloud storage space of the box. I like its speed and security, you will not feel any strangeness with the software. E-Signature make it more secure and Integration with lot of apps is wonderful. The cost and price is very reasonable and economical compared to the many features it provides to the user.‌ Data Loss Protection is great.

Cons:

The graphic design of the dashboard should be simpler and more tangible and can be changed to the liking of the admin, Also a feature in the dashboard should be added to display the status of shared files and folders, and the latest status of views and downloads to be clearly and simply visible to the admin.

President in US
Publishing, 11-50 Employees

Can't imagine running our business without Box

Comments: We used Dropbox for a number of years, and we found it very "fragile". Without good access to different levels of security for our team, we would often find files deleted or overwritten by inexperienced employees. Once, an employee using Dropbox's desktop app accidentally deleted our entire list of files and Dropbox had to restore (taking several days). That was the straw that broke the camel's back, so we switched to Box and haven't looked back. It's secure, solid, excellent uptime, and does everything we need and more. Our company stores mission-critical contracts, source files, and other material, and it's locked down only to the appropriate users. We have nearly 7 TB of files from our company's history stored with Box and I sleep great at night knowing they're safe and secure.

Pros:

The access levels for intra-company sharing are very granular, allowing us the ability to protect privileged information,

Cons:

It's hard to be critical of this tool. Some of the features we never use (notes, for example) seem a little clunky, but I understand they're improving. Those are all secondary, however. The main product itself is unbeatable.

Director in Greece
Translation & Localization, Self Employed

Good Free Version but expensive Business options

Comments: Storing documents in the cloud as a back-up solution, sharing documents with collaborators and clients.

Pros:

Uploads and downloads are fast, sharing files or folders is easy, as an editor or viewer, and it is easy to use.

Cons:

The Business options are expensive for small businesses since they require you to purchase multiple licenses, not only one. If you get the Individual license you are not GDPR compliant, thus it turns out to be expensive for SMEs.

Kory
Associate Investment Advisor in US
Investment Management Software, 11-50 Employees

Collaboration and Document Management at its best

Comments: Overall, we have been very happy with our transition to Box. The features provided have exceeded our expectations and there are still more features that we haven't used yet and that are being released on a regular basis. The staff and programming teams have been extremely helpful for the set-up and customization of Box for our needs.

Pros:

Box provides an intuitive platform for collaborating and sharing documents with other coworkers, while maintaining significant flexibility on permissions for maintaining security on information as needed. The search functionality and version control have made it easier to find information quickly and helps to eliminate duplication and multiple versions of files. The integration with Office 365 and other service provides have been invaluable in creating efficiencies in our daily workflows. Box's mobile friendly platform makes for simple, yet secure access anywhere when data is needed.

Cons:

Box is best used as a web app rather than through the desktop app, Box Drive. When our company started use of Box, we were more familiar with navigation to files through the use of Windows Explorer. Box Drive is Box's app for accessing files through the Explorer. However, Box Drive is slow to update and more difficult to navigate, with more limited features compared to the Web app. Unfortunately, Box Drive still has to be used for certain functions of our work where the web app and/or integrations with our services do not work.

Todd
Principal Consultant in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Cloud file services that work like a real file share

Comments: I helped roll out this solution to a small (25 users) business almost 3 years ago to replace their local file server. I started using it myself vs. DropBox because the Box Desktop was so perfectly Mac, and I've since rolled it out to three other small businesses as a replacement for local file services they can access anywhere. When COVID-19 hit, and said clients needed their workers to work from home, the workflow hardly missed a beat, thanks to the fact they can work anywhere just as if they had a local file share on their desktop.

Pros:

The Box Desktop app actually works to keep files in the cloud until and unless I'm using them, saving precious disk space on users' systems — unlike an unnamed popular competitor. And on the Mac, it works just like an external disk or mounted file share — right on the desktop, in the proper file hierarchy with no proprietary interface to complicate things, or presume how I want to look at my files.

Cons:

Tech support can be slow to respond, as its first tier of support is via their forum and email, and I've waited as long as two days to get a response to an issue for a corporate subscription, and it's painfully apparent that the first tier team is reading straight off of cue cards, because they suggest things to try, even when my previous communication states IN DETAIL that I've already done said thing in my own troubleshooting. Beef up the support staff, pay better attention to what a customer has already said in their communications, and escalate things to engineering quicker, and they will remedy the one, glaring shortcoming in their service.

Kacie
Kacie
Marketing Manager in US
Financial Services Software, 201-500 Employees

Box is secure and can innovate industries from video to medical

Comments: I loved using Box for file management and editing. It saved me time and headaches. I only wish that my company had expanded its use and unleashed more of its capabilities.

Pros:

Box is the simplest way for me to stay organized, share files with others and ensure that my data is secure. The user experience is easy to understand. It's simple to invite others at a variety of permission levels (somer colleagues to view only, others to download, others to have full editing capability). Syncing on multiple devices is a snap. But when I attended BoxWorks for training, I realized that one of the best advantages to using Box is the company's relationships with large, high-profile, reputable companies that provide tech integrations. One plug-in takes my raw video footage and auto-generates a searchable log of all dialogue. So I can search for every time an actor says a certain word. The AI even allows me to search for visual cues - one conservation team was able to just search "penguin," and then all their footage from across the world was sorted through in order to allow their video editors to find exactly the footage they needed for their next project. Box Relay allows you to create workflows with different steps assigned to different teammates. So when you complete your action, the next person is automatically notified that they can begin the next step. Present state is impressive. But I have a feeling we'll see even greater things to come.

Cons:

It took me awhile to think of anything negative to say. The max file size on the more affordable subscription options is perhaps the only drawback I can think of.

Ricky
Manager, Operations and Finance in US
Pharmaceuticals, 11-50 Employees

Robust Cloud Base System

Comments: We changed to Box awhile back to move our storage from internal servers to a cloud base system so we could easily access our files from anywhere. It's given us a lot more flexibility as we can work on our files from anywhere with internet access. It encourages us to try to do everything digitally and go green. Box overall is a great product for any business or individual who's looking for cloud storage.

Pros:

1. I use the Box Sync feature on a daily basis on my MacBook. Box Sync allows uers to sync folders/files from Box Cloud to your finder so it feels like your just working from finder but it's being backed up the cloud! It's a simple and convenient way for me to access and organize our box files using finder. Our company has a lot of folder/files so I just sync the folders I use the most and I have quick access to my files. Box cloud also has a Box Drive feature which is similar but has one downside which I mention in the Cons section. 2. With Box Sync it's easy to know when your files have been sync to the box cloud with the file icons. 3. Sharing files to internal or external users is simple. Sharing files include a lot of features based on the security levels you want. 4. Another great feature is that it integrates our DocuSign software (e-signatures). I can easily get files signed electronically through Box and not have to log into our DocuSign software. A very convenient feature as I have to get a lot of files signed electronically on a daily basis. 5. Lastly, we basically have unlimited storage!

Cons:

1. One con about Box Sync is that it doesn't seamlessly sync files in finder as Box Drive does. There is a slight delay, sometimes a minute or two to sync to the cloud. However, I have to rename a lot of files and I can't just select a file and click "enter/return" on my MacBook to rename files with Box Drive. So I've stuck with box sync for now. But it would be nice if Box Drive would let me rename files easily. 2. I noticed is sometimes when you preview a file it sometimes takes time to load. It's sometimes faster just to open the file to view it which doesn't make sense when a preview should be faster. 3. I noticed is that the name length view is fixed when viewing on the box cloud. Therefore if you have a lot of files in a folder with the same name but different ending, you see all the files with the same name because the end of the filename is truncated. So you aren't easily able to see a specific file other than clicking one the files. At least have a feature where you hover your mouse over the file and it displays the full name of the file or something. It shouldn't require extra clicking just to find your files. 4. It does have a max file size of 5GB

Phoebe
Phoebe
Tutor/Researcher in US
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees

Great for Team Accessibility

Comments: Box is user-friendly which has allowed my team and I to overcome problems of needless time consumption. Research projects take up a lot of time because of the amount of data that needs to be uploaded and analyzed. However, Box has enabled my team to effectively work together and independently while maintaining the ethical guidelines of research.

Pros:

As a tutor and a researcher, I love being able to upload videos of lesson plans and lectures so that my team and those I am working for are able to look back on what I said. Another thing I love about Box is how you can share multiple files with anyone you want and you are able to view who has downloaded something to maintain privacy and confidentiality. Box is especially useful for big groups of people. Everything is extremely accessible and easy to learn how to use. I recommend Box to my colleagues in research who want a safe way of maintaining confidentiality in research projects.

Cons:

I do not have any problems with Box so far and I have been using Box for most of my college experience. I have used it for research, tutoring, and collaboration projects.

Travis W.C.
Travis W.C.
Project Manager in US
Environmental Services, 2-10 Employees

On the Go or From Home

Comments: I don't see any reason to change to another product or service, so long as the price remains competetive.

Pros:

Box excels at one thing -- making documents accessible from anywhere. This amounts to benefits of efficiency and freedom to work on the go. Being able to access from any machine, particularly on a phone where other services often fail, enhances my ability to address customer's needs.

Cons:

There's no indication when a file is open by another user. This has led to multiple users editing a document, and those documents don't merge well or at all, leaving a red exclamation point indicating there's an issue or an alternate file. We've lost some work this way. As a small company, this is manageable with clearer communication between employees, but I foresee this being an issue as we grow.