15 years helping Canadian businesses

Canada Local product

My Music Staff Reviews

4.8 (721) Write a Review! Canada Local product

About My Music Staff

My Music Staff is the easy-to-use web app for managing your music teaching business. Teach more. Stress less.

Learn more about My Music Staff

Pros:

Easy to use and comprehensive. The invoicing is so simple to use and makes it easy to keep up with my finances.

Cons:

The auto-generated lesson fee feature is a bit confusing for me (showing a balance owed for lessons which haven't occurred) but even more so for the students.

My Music Staff ratings

4.6
4.8
4.6
4.8

9.5/10

My Music Staff has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 721 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used My Music Staff before?

Matthew
Matthew
Owner / Music Director in US
Music, 2–10 Employees

Couldn't run my music school without it

Pros:

It is extremely simple and easy to use. I only use the Students, Family and Calendar portions of it, and it serves well beyond what I need it for. So easy to view schedule and filter and organize it based on location, teacher, student, etc. i LOVE , as do the parents, the 24-hour in advance automatic reminders auto-texted or e-mailed (your choice).

Cons:

Besides a couple of very minor workflow impedances, it would be nice to integrate the calendar with an existing website, rather than only having the option to do so with the current website.

Alternatives Considered: Jackrabbit Music

Reasons for Choosing My Music Staff: Google Sheets became too cumbersome as our school grow, and I wanted something that the families/students could also access directly

Switched From: Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff: Jackrabbit just didn't seem to fit as well as MyMusicStaff

Jason
Guitar Instructor in US

My Music Staff: A godsend for the unorganized instructor

5.0 last month New

Comments: Insanely good. Best application/ website I have ever used hands down. Six Stars.

Pros:

Where to start? I think the Number 1 reason I love MMS is because of its features. They have truly thought of everything a teacher would need to track schedule and communicate with their students. Anything I personally wanted to try or change in regards to my lessons that I teach was somehow already available for me to utilize. Its as if music teachers themselves designed it. Next is the ease of use. I have never experienced an online tool so simple and so intuitive. I learned the entire sites basic functions in a matter of days and within a week I was a pro using the advanced settings. Literally anytime I couldn't figure how something worked or anytime I had to troubleshoot any minor issue, I could resolve it within a matter of minutes by simply searching other areas of the site. Since the entire platform so seamlessly integrates one section to another, I.e contact information, billing, calendar events, etc... there is typically more than one way to solve any issue quickly. and if for some reason you cannot solve the issue on your own, MMS has an extensive FAQ list to guide you and incredibly responsive customer service team. I could go on as well about the cheap cost, personal customization options, and a plethora of other things but my main point is that if you own a music business, schedule reoccurring lessons on even a monthly basis you need to use this site period.

Cons:

Nothing. Truly. I even expected a small learning curve and even that didn't happen as I was able to use this product efficiently from day one.

Ron
Director in Canada
Music, 11–50 Employees

Good overall but very frustrating as far as customizing the calendar or getting support

2.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: In general, good, but as far as service and responding to specific requests or issues, very poor customer service, they do not answer their phones and it can take a couple of days just to get an email reply and without providing any real solution to a problem. Very frustrating.

Pros:

Fairly easy to use over all, some kinks need to be worked out

Cons:

Not customizable enough, prior version was better and newer version did not allow certain customizations such as removing teacher's names for every single event. It seems impossible to speak with an actual software developer about making any improvements.

Timothy
Owner in US

Easy to Use Scheduling and Billing Program

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: No complaints. I can't imagine using anything else.

Pros:

Auto invoicing saves me an incalculable amount of time. The schedule layout is intuitive. Pricing is an upfront $10 per month plus $5 per staff member with zero hidden fees or costs.

Cons:

I've had some very minor quality of life complaints that the support team has added to their list. I'd really like to be able to accept Venmo, which they say is on the horizon. No complaints that would actually make me stop using the program.

Renee
Business Owner & Educator in US
Music, Self Employed

My Music Staff is like having a staff!

Comments: It's a good studio management tool. My parents don't take advantage of the features that are available to then, but, that's okay. Mine is a small studio.

Pros:

The schedule is easy to set up and manage. Tracking attendance and sending lesson notes is straightforward and easy. Communicating with families is also easy. Invoicing is straightforward, but doesn't allow me to set up a percentage per student for the ach fees I have to charge for those students whose lessons are paid for under a state education program.

Cons:

Bank fees for those students who pay online are easy. Other fees, especially those that are percentages of the invoice are not accommodated, subsequently, I literally have to manual create invoices for 85% of my students every month.

Alternatives Considered: Duet Partner

Reasons for Choosing My Music Staff: Cost

Switched From: Duet Partner

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff: I selected My Music Staff over Duet Partner due to cost, primarily.

Kate
Music School Director in Australia
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

Affordable for a multi studio

Comments: I used to have 2 software plus Excel spreadsheets. Once I started working with My Music Staff, I moved everything to one place. It is easy to use and intuitive from a computer usage.

Pros:

The support is amazing, quick and precise.

Cons:

There is no online booking at the moment. Sometimes, people just want to book 1 lesson online without emails or phone calls. They don't have an App. You have to open a window in your phone, which makes it harder to read.

Alternatives Considered: Omnify, Jackrabbit Music and OctopusPro

Reasons for Choosing My Music Staff: I made the switch because they weren't meant to be used for music schools but for hairdressers and restaurants (book once). My Music Staff is made for schools and recurring bookings.

Switched From: Calendly and Acuity Scheduling

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff: Price and support. My Music Staff replied to my email the same day, and offered me an hour to go through a Demo, replied to questions and helped me to understand the process.

Graehme
Chief Instructor in Canada
Music, 11–50 Employees

User of 10+ Years - I recommend MMS to all of my music teacher friends and associates!

Comments: My overall experience with MMS has been excellent. It is absolutely essentially to running and maintaining my music school, and has taken away a lot of the stress of scheduling lessons.

Pros:

The best part of the system, and by far the most used for us is the scheduling. Not only does in make keeping track of our lessons very simple and straightforward, we can very quickly make changes, and even provide our teachers with access so they can stay on top of their schedules. In addition, being able to synchronize the MMS calendars to Google Calendar or Apple Calendars means that I can see an updated schedule on my phone at any moment. I also love their automated payment system which has removed the need to chase down students/parents for tuition payments; everything goes through automatically at the end of the month and we can rely on a consistent stream of income to cover expense and make sure everyone is paid on time.

Cons:

The only thing I don't like about MMS is the recent GUI change. I'd been using the earlier system for many years and have become quite comfortable with where everything was located. The GUI updated moved some features around which has been somewhat annoying - however I'm gradually getting used to the new layouts.

Alternatives Considered: Jackrabbit Music

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff: At the time I was a smaller operation with fewer teachers on staff. MMS allows the price to scale based on the number of instructors you have which made their pricing very enticing for my business.

Ashley
CEO in US

My Music Staff is great!

Comments: I've been using MMS for about 6 years and I love seeing it improve over time. My team and myself are always excited for each new update.

Pros:

MMS is easy to use and easy to integrate into our business protocols. It helps tremendously in keeping us organized and limits the need for tons of paperwork and binders.

Cons:

Missing Features:- Capability to take swiped card transaction- An easier way to track the difference between make-up lessons that were given due to teacher absence versus student absence in the student profile. Currently all issued make-up credits are grouped together in each student's profile, but since we have our studio policies set to where the students aren't penalized for teacher absences and they have a set limit of make-up credits they can receive for student absences per year it is very hard for us to track.

Alternatives Considered: Mindbody

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff: The price and the fact that it is specific to music.

Trish
Accounts Receivable / Marketing in US

Highly recommend!

Comments: Overall, I am so glad we made this shift to MMS, we have been able to focus on interacting with our employees more about teaching music and less about the business of it. It has freed our time up to work on growing our business.

Pros:

We have cut our time spent tracking attendance and therefore invoicing by 75% It’s really easy to use and customer service has been impeccable. They are quick to respond and helpful when they do. Plus there is a Facebook group available for community - other users of MMS where often answers are found with a quick search in the group

Cons:

I do wish there was an app currently available, but the website functions great on my mobile device in the meantime.

Excellent tool

Pros:

My Music Staff provides a clear value for the money. The ease of scheduling and tracking income and expenses has made a huge difference in my productivity. More time is spent on teaching (and earning), far less on administration.

Cons:

The single-day view on the calendar needs improvement. Currently, it divides lessons by location. This makes sense for a multi-teacher studio. However, for one teacher who is moving between locations, it's really confusing. Sometimes I just need to be able to look QUICKLY and see the day's lessons, not have to jog back and forth over three columns.

Alternatives Considered: Fons

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff: My Music Staff offers far more value for the price point. Other products were more expensive, sometimes offering tools I choose not to use; sometimes note. My Music Staff was the Goldilocks tool: just right.

Hollie
Owner in Canada

Love My Music Staff

Comments: It has saved hours of rescheduling students for make up lessons. Lesson and payroll are seamless. Attendance is easy to log. I can control what my families see on the student portal and what my teachers see in their login. It has saved me hours with invoicing, mass emailing, and has saved me a lot of stress and time with payment reminders. Overall I like all the multiple features that are offered with this program and how easy it is for me to use. The staff are fantastic to work with. If I have any questions they are very patient and will walk me through i overall. The staff are fantastic to work with. If I have any questions they are very patient and respond in a timely fashion. If I have problems with anything (which is very rare), they are always happy to help. I have highly recommended this program to other schools, and my teachers who have had experience with other systems really seem to like My Music Stuff as well.

Pros:

I love how versatile this program is with policies.It has saved me a lot of time with emailing payment reminders, invoicing, and mass emailing. I love the student portal and calendar option. This summer we tried out a new policy that requires parents to use the calenda and it works great. My families love how easy it is to use and I love the hours it saves in rescheduling, emailing and phone calls.

Cons:

When I am logging teachers availability into the calendar for the parents to see, it would be nice that lessons that are not scheduled would automatically show as “open”. This way parents can reschedule into those spots for make up lessons and it doesn’t take me so much time to manually put in open spots. With multiple teachers this can take a long time . I wish there was an option in the studio settings to allow to turn this feature on and off. So studios who do not want to use this calendar feature don’t have to use it.

Kate
Owner in US
Music, Self Employed

My assistant for my studio

Comments: My experience has been great! I can't attest to the customer service as I've never had to use it! But that says something, doesn't it?

Pros:

I really like how this software program allows me to stay organized and gives me a very professional look with my clients. From invoices to curriculum to client information to the dreaded year end taxes, I am able to keep detailed information and have it right at my finger tips when needed. My personal studio has 40 students with 26 different families to account to and communicate with. I use My Music Staff to set up a structured personal invoice system for each family, keep track of all lessons (attended or unattended), list all curriculum items each student is working on plus all festival and competition participation and results, any loaned music books I've given each student, and keep detailed notes on how each student is progressing. My Music Staff allows me to keep all my expenses (music books, office supplies, mileage, etc) in an organized, detailed system so April is no longer a huge headache for me! I also keep my waiting list of families looking to get into lessons so I no longer have the problem of the lost email or phone number when I get an opening in my studio.There are more possibilities with the program (website link, clients being able to link in) that I have not pursued yet but am looking forward to in the future. I have had a lot of comments from my clients about how impressed they are with how organized my studio is. I appreciate that this program allows me to come across as the professional I aim to be and hope to be perceived in my community.

Cons:

I get frustrated with some of the backtracking I have to do to personalize the calendar and the invoices. But, I don't see how that would be avoided as my studio is unique and each year is different. I do appreciate that I can personalize each student and each year.

Irma
CEO in US

My Music Staff review first year

Comments: I definitely have been having a great experience with My Music Staff. Especially their actual staff members. I spoke with [SENSITIVE CONTENT] recently and she did a phenomenal job at helping me fix my accounting issues and invoicing issues. She was very easy to talk to you she listened to my concerns and questions that I had and took time to teach me how to fix my accounting problems. I had several students accounts that had it inputs put in the wrong way for discounts etc. and she was able to quickly spot what the problems were as well as allow me the time to fix them and explain why not to do what I did before and how to properly and put the information I need to moving forward and why. I told her I think it would be nice if My Music Staff will give her a bonus to make videos on how to create invoices and teaching users how to utilize accounting and how all of the features work together to help balance out the accounting page and create invoices all of the ends and outs! She would be great at that as well!

Pros:

It’s really kind of hard to pinpoint what specifically I like because there’s a lot of features that I do like such as being able to schedule, pull reports, upload videos for our students, upload link sent of the learning material for our students, payroll etc

Cons:

I don’t like that I’m not able to use PayPal and stripe at the same time to except payments. I do have parents who like to pay through PayPal as well but I have to utilize a different source to receive those payments because only stripe or PayPal can be used one at a time. I wish that it was also a lot easier to understand how to utilize the invoice an account features. I have gotten pretty confused and had to call in and ask questions several times in order to really get the hang of it. It can be a bit confusing without that additional coaching to understand how to bill clients. I’ve had moments where my numbers were off because I gave an additional discount or I build them incorrectly and didn’t understand how I did it or why.

2 years ago

Hi Irma, thanks for a great review! We actually do have a number of tutorial videos already, including ones that go over various parts of invoicing. We also have a Getting Started Guide on our website that goes over how all of the features work together :)

Lydia
Director in Australia
Music, Self Employed

MMS has helped manage my workload and taken the stress out of my bookwork.

Comments: It's easy and quick to email lesson notes to parents and students. No excuses for not knowing what to practice!

Pros:

MMS has simplified my admin by a huge amount. There are loads of features that I use daily, and more that I haven't explored yet.

Cons:

It is only set up for individual, regular students. You can add students to a group, but you can't then give individual feedback (unless things have changed since I last tried to use that). You can't bill anything unless there is a person set up in the system. I provide accompaniment services as well as tuition, but I can't use this system to bill my one off accompaniments; I have to create a profile, then add them to the calendar, and only then can I bill them. I'd like an option to create a charge/invoice without a client being attached to that. I've worked around this by creating a fictional student named "Rehearsal" who gets billed for every accompaniment, and if I need to email an invoice rather than just adding it to my income stream I go in a change the individual email.I'd also like an auto reminder system for overdue invoices so I don't have to go in manually to see who hasn't paid. I do like that there are templates for invoices and reminders.The other feature I'd use every day if it existed would be the ability to create a lesson plan for individual students that they cannot see until I publish it. I lesson plan sometimes several days in advance and like to edit it to become their lesson notes. I can review previous lesson notes but if I edit it it is immediately able to be seen by them.

Kristina
Managing Director in US

Invaluable to my business and teaching

Pros:

I have used My Music Staff for several years (four, I think). Implementing this software has revolutionized my work flow in big ways. I can manage multiple calendars, create invoices, and receive payments in simple steps. I have used two other studio management softwares and by far, I love the ease of My Music Staff the best. The developing team at My Music Staff has done a great job of making this software intuitive to the user experience and thinking through what the most important and valuable aspects for an independent teacher or a teaching studio with multiple teachers are. Every year, I have expanded the way I use the software as there are numerous features I could not implement right away. This past year, we have used the make-up credit feature to allow students to cancel their lessons to receive credit and use the credit to schedule make-up lessons when they see openings created by other cancellations. While my studio does not have a make-up policy on our official policy (no make-up lessons, period), allowing this to happen (without teacher putting effort towards it) has created added value to our offering and a more gracious atmosphere. I have contacted My Music Staff on many occasions with questions and their responses always have been super quick and competent (like they actually heard my question and answered them in the way that was helpful to me). I highly recommend it!

Cons:

There are a few more advanced features I would love, such as allowing different policies for different kinds of events. But this is a very minor issue that I don't feel I'm entitle to for the money I pay to use this software.

Clemency
Music Teacher in UK
Music, Self Employed

My music teaching best friend - changed my life

Comments: Every aspect of my music teaching life has been made better since I discovered MMS. I hate subscription models but this one is a winner; worth every penny in professionalism, time saving and peace of mind.

Pros:

I discovered MMS when covid hit. It has been a god send. The monthly fee is more than saved in the time I save and what I offer to my pupils. The calendar means I can check my day at a glance despite several teaching venues which I can colour differently. Billing pupils is so easy and keeping track of their accounts is a doddle as MMS does it all for me. I log notes during the lesson which I send to parents or pupils, or both, at the end of the lesson by clicking a box. When it comes to the end of the tax year, I press a couple of buttons and there is my income and expenditure. I appear more professional to my customers and my working life is more streamlined and efficient.

Cons:

Very minor gripes like being limited as to the email I can send with an invoice. I like to customise the invoice email based on school or private teaching. Whilst I can do this by changing the invoice or invoice reminder default emails, I can’t use any others so have to change the emails repeatedly by the time I invoice everyone.

Cynthia
Ms in US
Music, Self Employed

Invaluable aid to any private music teacher

Comments: I switched to MyMusicStaff two years ago after using another software for several years. I was reluctant to switch everything over, but the other app had become unreliable. So glad I did it! The monthly rate is VERY reasonable and the learning curve easily managed. I do get good help from support and they have helped me work out a few little things that I had hung up on.
I could not manage my studio of 29 private piano students without this app!

Pros:

Hard to choose! I depend on so many facets of MyMusicStaff every day. Perhaps Scheduling is the best aspect, but Accounting is near the top. The calendar is super easy for ongoing daily lesson scheduling and is accessible to parents for canceling and rescheduling, with no attention from me required. I even schedule available make-up slots and parents make us of them. Accounting is a huge time-saver! Every detail is there and doesn't take much time to comprehend. Ongoing lesson rates, special rates for certain families, automatic or nonautomatic billing, make-up credits--they really know what a music teacher needs!

Cons:

Not much of a minus, but I'd like a little more flexibility with attendance reports. But I have worked out a way to get what I need.

5 years ago

Hey Cynthia! Thank you for trusting your business to My Music Staff. We're happy that you decided to make the switch. The flexibility you were hoping to add to the reporting had to do with knowing the number of lessons a student had in a given period. You can actually already do this by creating a "Lessons Taught" report from the "Studio Reports" menu.

Sophia
Piano Instructor in US
Education Management, Self Employed

Great product for a piano studio

Comments: MMS is a great product. I'm thrilled I found it. It's cheap, easy, visually appealing, and all-in-one program. Couldn't ask for more. Might be interesting to see if a studio sells products if something like that could be incorporated into it as well.

Pros:

I like that it is an all-in-one product. In my other business, I had to have five different products to manage everything. I also enjoy that you can see the balances owed right on the home screen so that I don't have to go looking for it or forget about it when student shows up.

Cons:

I wish that when you open to take attendance on a lesson that the notes of the lesson and the attendance/payment were in a horizontal space instead of vertical, so you could see it all at once, then the previous lesson notes could be in a row beneath it. The calendar could resize too to fit the screen so we don't have to scroll through the whole thing. More opportunities to try the features. There are so many features and I have no idea how to use them or even get started. I've tried looking up tutorials, but they're very generic and not sure how to fit them to my studio. It's also hard to get students to practice. On the student side, could there be an opportunity to motivate kids to practice? Like... for every 10 mins they practice they get points and they can build those up at their studio for a prize (presented by the teacher?) Or even do more of a community thing where the whole studio group of students works to get 1 big prize for the studio from MMS?

Amy
Business Owner in Canada
Music, 2–10 Employees

Switched from similar software and never looked back.

Comments: The number of families now comfortable with My music staff for information and payment has increased exponentially saving us time and money. Our families are impressed by the professional software, and I love the transparency and organization we offer to clients and employees about how the business runs.

Pros:

Very user friendly for both parents and employees (we are a multi teacher school) Love how responsive the MMS team is, both with constant updates to the program (and often based on client requests) to attentive support when there are issues. Price point can't compare to some of the alternatives. I love that it is based on the number of teachers, so doesn't penalize us for getting more students (ie. being a successful business!) like a per/student rate.

Cons:

It has a lot of functionality with reports that is not so intuitive. Accessing the data in ways that may be useful to a business can often mean trying lots of different reports and tweaking the settings slightly to get the right report. We accept payments in studio via Payd and have to enter these manually into MMS. Would love some way to connect these, or to be able to accept canadian debit cards (require chip readers).

5 years ago

Hey Amy! We're all ears :) You can send your suggestions and feedback to the team at [email protected]. We'd really like to hear more from you about how we can improve the reporting for your studio. Glad to hear you've been loving My Music Staff!

Aurora
Lessons Manager in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Best User Experience and Interface of All Lesson Management Systems We've Tried

Comments: Overall, the price and functionality are right with MMS. I'm happy with my choice and out of all of the software as a services I use in my business, this is the one I'm least likely to switch out of.

Pros:

Integrating MMS was incredibly easy. There are a few small features they could add to make it even easier but overall it went quickly enough. I love the transparent (and inexpensive) per teacher pricing. Uptime is fantastic; I don't think I've ever experienced the site being down.

Cons:

MMS is great but not quite mature. I appreciate the really solid uptime but the site can be very slow. As an administrator, I am used to the system and I can generally make it do what I want. My teachers sometimes complain about it (navigating to the contact information for the parents of a child student can be a pain, and has to be explained to them because it's not obvious) but overall they enjoy having student and schedule info at their fingertips. None of them make use of the notes, repertoire, library, etc. so these features don't do much for us though they seem like solid features

Maureen
Owner/Instructor in US

Saved My Studio

Comments: My business runs very smoothly and professionally with the use of My Music Staff, I have the control that I need of the studio while giving my instructors the freedom to teach the way they find most effective with the students. Parents enjoy the reminders, automatic invoicing and electronic payment options. My website drives in lots of business and it is created using the templates on My Music Staff. Without this program my studio would never have grown to this point nor would it continue to grow as it is today. I will always recommend and share my love of this program.

Pros:

As I began taking on more students a couple of years ago and I started to struggle with scheduling and and billing, we started looking around and found My Music Staff, it saved my studio. We are now at 32 students and we have 3 instructors, without the ease of My Music Staff I would never be able to schedule and bill families appropriately or keep track of payroll. I love the ease of looking up addresses, families inputting their own information and being able to keep track of assignments within the program. The reminder emails and texts are awesome for busy families and the automatic billing feature is amazing so that I don't have to calculate and send out invoices to families.

Cons:

Nothing really, some of the setting are buried a little bit, but everything is very logical.

Easy, Intuitive App for Private Music Teachers

Comments: My Music Staff is dependable, responsive and fair.

Pros:

This app is very easy to use. You can sign up and then begin setting your studio up immediately. I teach out of my home and typically have 25-35 students each year. I was able to add all of my student and family accounts and set-up my schedule very quickly. The best thing about this package is what it has done for my invoicing process. It has cut down 75% of my work time for processing invoicing, payments, communication to families and reporting. As an added bonus, it has built in functionality for tracking practice time, gives a place to record studio news, lets you build and host a website, and stores online documents for use and retrieval by students. My studio families love having access through the portal so that they can always see their balance, make payments, and read notes about their student's progress. My older students use the student portal too.

Cons:

One of my studio parents also does administrative work for me. She has two separate accounts, her admin account to do business and her personal account for her children's lessons. It would be nice if there was a way to compact that into one account for her.

Karen
Director in New Zealand
Music, Self Employed

Wouldn't run my music studio without MMS

Comments: The service from MMS if I ever need to reach them is top notch. I also love their "how to" series for families and teachers that's there if needed. Couldn't run my studio without it.

Pros:

Intelligent thinking has gone into this platfrom - invoicing + payment reminders, calandar managment, waitlist management, CRM for students and families, integrates with credit card payments if you want to do this, lending library (which you can set a date for return and that goes out with the reminder to the student/parent). Love the automation with emailing invoices - so easy!So well priced!

Cons:

Future development wishlist possibility - would love to integrate with Rockoutloudlive for online lessons if possible and with MYOB.

Eugenie
Owner in Canada
Music, 2–10 Employees

Best shift for my company!

Comments: Love the invoices section. I still feel the need to double check all the automatic invoices made before sending them out, but they allow me to get paid regularly with the correct amount whereas before, I relied on parents to remember to pay me and for what amount.

Pros:

Before, I was planning everything through Google Calendar which was fine with a small studio. As I grew, I needed to juggle more students and this was a shift necessary to look more professional. I felt so organized once moving to MMS. I love there is a login system for the parents to use, whenever they do use it, which makes me seem professional. My most used features are student management, calendar, attendance, and invoicing.

Cons:

A direct way for parents to register for specific events. I don't like needing to direct them to login, go to calendar, find the event, then click to register. Seems too much work for them and they'll never do it.

Dave
Drummer, composer & educator in Australia
Music, Self Employed

Much More Than I Expected!

Comments: Part of my music teaching is done in a school that requires a rotating timetable so the students skip a different class each week for their music lesson. For years I tried communicating these times to students and parents in many ways, none of which seemed effective as there was a great deal of confusion and absenteeism. I searched frequently for some kind of notification system such as the one my dentist uses, but they were all very prohibitively expensive. One day, toward the end of 2014, one my searches turned up My Music Staff, which could send automated email event reminders for a low monthly fee. After using it for a while, I found unexpected features such as keeping track of attendance, make-up credits, lesson notes, providing downloads for students, an online student/parent portal, a sign-up widget, as well as integrated billing to be indispensable for the way I’m now able to run my studio.

Pros:

What I like most about My Music Staff is the Lesson Notes function as it enables seamless continuity from lesson to lesson with each student, which, to me, is most the most important aspect of teaching.

Cons:

As each feature in My Music Staff is likeable in its own way, the only reason why I like the Expense Tracker the least is because I use different accounting software and, therefore, have no need for it.