Canada Local product

My Music Staff Reviews

4.8 (522) Write a Review! Canada Local product

About My Music Staff

My Music Staff is the easy-to-use web app for managing your music teaching business. Teach more. Stress less.

Learn more about My Music Staff

Pros:

Easy to use and comprehensive. The invoicing is so simple to use and makes it easy to keep up with my finances.

Cons:

The auto-generated lesson fee feature is a bit confusing for me (showing a balance owed for lessons which haven't occurred) but even more so for the students.

My Music Staff ratings

4.6
4.8
4.7
4.8

9.5/10

My Music Staff has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 522 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used My Music Staff before?

Matthew
Matthew
Owner / Music Director in US
Music, 2-10 Employees

Couldn't run my music school without it

Pros:

It is extremely simple and easy to use. I only use the Students, Family and Calendar portions of it, and it serves well beyond what I need it for. So easy to view schedule and filter and organize it based on location, teacher, student, etc. i LOVE , as do the parents, the 24-hour in advance automatic reminders auto-texted or e-mailed (your choice).

Cons:

Besides a couple of very minor workflow impedances, it would be nice to integrate the calendar with an existing website, rather than only having the option to do so with the current website.

Alternatives Considered: Jackrabbit Music

Reasons for Choosing My Music Staff: Google Sheets became too cumbersome as our school grow, and I wanted something that the families/students could also access directly

Switched From: Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff: Jackrabbit just didn't seem to fit as well as MyMusicStaff

Xavier
Xavier
Owner in US
Music, Self Employed

If you have a private teaching studio...you need this.

Comments: Overall I am super happy with MyMusicStaff. It is not an expensive tool to use and does everything I wanted it to do and a lot more.

Pros:

There are a lot of things I love about MyMusicStaff but the one thing that is the best is the ability to automatically bill families in the beginning of the month. It is the greatest thing. I used to do it by remembering myself or the families and I would always feel like I am undercharging or overcharging. But this way I know that it is exactly right. It is so easy to set it and forget it and see that money coming in every month.

Cons:

Sometimes it seems like the software is a little glitchy. Sometimes it charges twice and you have to do some tricks to get the amount that the family owes you to be correct. When the software works, it really works well but then when it does not it is kind of a pain to get it to be correct.

Eponymous Music Guy in US
Music, Self Employed

Looks great on the website, doesn't it?

Comments: I was SO excited to find this service. But I've been SO disappointed in them, and can't wait to transfer everything to a new service later this year.

Pros:

MMS promises to handle all of your music studio needs, from scheduling to billing to communications, and indeed, it has modules for all of those plus repertory records, lending library management, downloadable/playable resources, and even mileage. So if you want software that LOOKS like it does everything, you've found it!

Cons:

None of these modules seem actually to have been tested by actual music teachers. Scheduling is ridiculously complicated, especially when students want to cancel or reschedule. Billing leads to a minimum of five confused emails from parents each month because of MMS's bizarre policies regarding past-due payments and account balances. Emails cannot be sent to students and parents simultaneously—they're automatically BCC'ed, leading to confusing message threads and miscommunications. Even the lesson notes and blog features are poorly handled—they don't auto-save, so an accidental tab closure can lead to the loss of an entire lesson's worth of notes, and formatting is bizarrely non-standard. (Don't even think about cutting and pasting.)

Alternatives Considered: 17hats

Reasons for Choosing My Music Staff: Looking for an "all-in-one" solution

Switched From: FreshBooks and Acuity Scheduling

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff: Liked the user interface better.

Adam
School Director in UK
Music, 2-10 Employees

Ideally for anyone managing a small music school

Comments: Really positive. Support staff are great and there is plenty of resources to problem solve any booking requirements. It’s nice to see that the software is still being updated and invested in which makes me hopefully for the tools it will provide in the near future.

Pros:

It has features that I didn’t realise I would need. It’s the best blends of resources for music teachers and management software.

Cons:

The experience on phones feels clunky and difficult to navigate. All my staff use it on their phones and would prefer an app that is more condensed for just their day of teaching.

Alternatives Considered: Timely, Trello and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing My Music Staff: Time and efficiency. I was also looking for something that would benefit my teachers.

Switched From: Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff: Music teachers resources

Caitlin
Flute Teacher in Canada

Game changer!

Comments: My overall experience has been amazing. The customer service reps are so kind and helpful, and the software itself has given me all I need to run my flute studio in one website.

Pros:

I really like how many features are included with this software, it really is mindblowing.

Cons:

Nothing! I like everything about this software.

Kinza
Piano Instructor in US

Great Product

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall this is a great app and I love using it makes running a business a million times easier!

Pros:

I love the ease of being able to set up billing and also setting schedules for lessons and get information out to parents easy.

Cons:

I don't like how there is really only one payment method you are able to use. I would like if you were able to use a bunch of different payment options like Zelle, stripe, PayPal and Venmo.

Gladys
Piano teacher in US
Education Management, Self Employed

Great product

5.0 last month New

Comments: There’s not too much I don’t like about it

Pros:

Great recordkeeping and finance tracking. Everything about the software is great. Great calendar feature. Very easy to use.

Cons:

There’s not much I don’t like about it. Very easy to use.

Denise
Private Woodwind Instructor in US
Music, Self Employed

Online help for your small music business

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

Makes the end of the year tax paperwork and review easy! Communication with parents is done in a speedy manner.

Cons:

I wish there was a way that the software could calculate my mileage when I enter the calendar information.

Satwik
Student in India
Computer Software, Self Employed

Your Music Manager

5.0 last month New

Comments: I personally go to a class in my music staff for brushing up my music skills.

Pros:

Music staff always assist me like my personal assistant, it also helps me to accomplish my hobby in singing songs and leaning new techniques of singing, it gives all new features, and helps a lot of people like me who want a platform to showcase their inner talent.

Cons:

All things are good but i was wondering if they can add some more interactive tools in live chats like making some virtual music instruments that can play the same sound as it plays in real for having a real view of it.

Meale
Meale
marketer in Togo
Business Supplies & Equipment, 2-10 Employees

music class management

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

My music staff staff is a software built for music class sheduling and management. it is easy to set up a calendar

Cons:

the sheduling tools must offer more ways to set up a proper calendar

Tina
Business Owner in US
Fine Art, Self Employed

Awesome!

Comments: Huge time saver!

Pros:

For me, the best feature is the ease of scheduling lessons and ensembles. Summer is more complicated for me because family schedules are less regular. This program allows parents to check my schedule, find an open time that works for them and register for it - all with no e-mails back and forth with me! They can do this each week if they want and if something comes up and they need to reschedule, they can just do it without multiple emails. This is a huge time saver! I also really like the ease of entering payments at the lesson. I can handle this before the student leaves and put the check/cash in my wallet. Done! My old paper system seemed to take longer for me. Oh, and for scheduling ensembles, I can create an ensemble time and notify students in like 30 seconds! Then I just wait for them to register, or not. If not enough students register, I just cancel the ensemble and everyone is notified. This used to require a boatload of emails and texts. And one more thing, my summer used to be full of students forgetting to come to lessons because they don't come every Tuesday at 2pm. I was just not going to spend the time to send reminder emails to each student manually. Now, My Music Staff automatically sends a reminder email (or text) to the the student and/or parent the day before. So far, I have only had one student no show because they forgot. I don't have to feel guilty about charging for it, they were reminded.

Cons:

I am getting used to the attendance pop-up. Most of my students are with me for a number of years and we always work on scales, etudes and technique pieces, and repertoire pieces. I have the books that I commonly use for scales, etudes and technique set up as Repertoire and then use the Notes to assign pages or specific pieces as well as for comments. This automatically copies to each lesson so this shows what I assigned and I can adjust it for the current lesson. I am not sure if this is developing a history or not for the student. I guess the biggest hurdle for me has been getting used to the process of recording the lesson while the student is there. Mostly, it is just adjusting from my custom paper lesson book to keying things on a screen. It would be extremely helpful to be able to see the end time of the lesson on this pop-up (currently just the start time shows) and also when I will see this student for their next lesson.

4 years ago

Hi Tina, Thanks for leaving such a detailed review! A surprising amount of time can be taken up by students and parents reaching out about missed lessons or new schedules; I'm glad we could help with our automated schedule and student portal! When you record notes or assign repertoire, your students do have a history! Reach out to us at [email protected] to find out more.

Robyn
Owner/Sole Proprietor in US
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed

Love it!

Comments: Love it, for the most part. Staff has always been very responsive with questions and issues.

Pros:

For years I kept track of scheduling on one sheet of paper from a weekly calender that I photo-copied and kept in a binder. Used a pencil so I could easily make changes. Attendance and income/expenses separate book. While it does take a little time to enter things manually, everything is streamlined and simpler than other software I have tried. I have looked at a few systems for teachers and this beats them all. I love that I can also send out group emails and save the templates for future use. Expenses and income can be set to repeat and this makes tax time a whole lot easier. Also keeps track of mileage if you travel to student homes—-I also set that to repeat back when I was a traveling teacher. One year I was audited and the auditor was very impressed with the way I kept track of miles and everything else with this software. I gave her printed reports (with receipts). Once she saw I had a good tracking system and accounting software, she glanced at it and sent me on my way with a pat on the back for good record-keeping. That, alone, makes this software worth every penny. I also make use of the free webpage and the “New Student Request” button. I set up a separate email account just for MMS so I know when I see an email it is either a new student request OR from an existing student. I am a solo teacher and don’t use all the features—just what I need. You can set this up to use as much or as little as you want.

Cons:

Webpage templates are pretty limited. More options would be fabulous! Text operations seem to be somewhat limited and quirky within the software on my iPad Pro. I rarely use a computer these days so a little more functionality there would be terrific. Line spacing and text options seem to be very limited within the templates and I have been very frustrated with the limitations. I make it work, but more in this area would be better.

Kristina
Managing Director in US

Invaluable to my business and teaching

Pros:

I have used My Music Staff for several years (four, I think). Implementing this software has revolutionized my work flow in big ways. I can manage multiple calendars, create invoices, and receive payments in simple steps. I have used two other studio management softwares and by far, I love the ease of My Music Staff the best. The developing team at My Music Staff has done a great job of making this software intuitive to the user experience and thinking through what the most important and valuable aspects for an independent teacher or a teaching studio with multiple teachers are. Every year, I have expanded the way I use the software as there are numerous features I could not implement right away. This past year, we have used the make-up credit feature to allow students to cancel their lessons to receive credit and use the credit to schedule make-up lessons when they see openings created by other cancellations. While my studio does not have a make-up policy on our official policy (no make-up lessons, period), allowing this to happen (without teacher putting effort towards it) has created added value to our offering and a more gracious atmosphere. I have contacted My Music Staff on many occasions with questions and their responses always have been super quick and competent (like they actually heard my question and answered them in the way that was helpful to me). I highly recommend it!

Cons:

There are a few more advanced features I would love, such as allowing different policies for different kinds of events. But this is a very minor issue that I don't feel I'm entitle to for the money I pay to use this software.

Kate
Owner in US
Music, Self Employed

My assistant for my studio

Comments: My experience has been great! I can't attest to the customer service as I've never had to use it! But that says something, doesn't it?

Pros:

I really like how this software program allows me to stay organized and gives me a very professional look with my clients. From invoices to curriculum to client information to the dreaded year end taxes, I am able to keep detailed information and have it right at my finger tips when needed. My personal studio has 40 students with 26 different families to account to and communicate with. I use My Music Staff to set up a structured personal invoice system for each family, keep track of all lessons (attended or unattended), list all curriculum items each student is working on plus all festival and competition participation and results, any loaned music books I've given each student, and keep detailed notes on how each student is progressing. My Music Staff allows me to keep all my expenses (music books, office supplies, mileage, etc) in an organized, detailed system so April is no longer a huge headache for me! I also keep my waiting list of families looking to get into lessons so I no longer have the problem of the lost email or phone number when I get an opening in my studio.There are more possibilities with the program (website link, clients being able to link in) that I have not pursued yet but am looking forward to in the future. I have had a lot of comments from my clients about how impressed they are with how organized my studio is. I appreciate that this program allows me to come across as the professional I aim to be and hope to be perceived in my community.

Cons:

I get frustrated with some of the backtracking I have to do to personalize the calendar and the invoices. But, I don't see how that would be avoided as my studio is unique and each year is different. I do appreciate that I can personalize each student and each year.

Cynthia
Ms in US
Music, Self Employed

Invaluable aid to any private music teacher

Comments: I switched to MyMusicStaff two years ago after using another software for several years. I was reluctant to switch everything over, but the other app had become unreliable. So glad I did it! The monthly rate is VERY reasonable and the learning curve easily managed. I do get good help from support and they have helped me work out a few little things that I had hung up on.
I could not manage my studio of 29 private piano students without this app!

Pros:

Hard to choose! I depend on so many facets of MyMusicStaff every day. Perhaps Scheduling is the best aspect, but Accounting is near the top. The calendar is super easy for ongoing daily lesson scheduling and is accessible to parents for canceling and rescheduling, with no attention from me required. I even schedule available make-up slots and parents make us of them. Accounting is a huge time-saver! Every detail is there and doesn't take much time to comprehend. Ongoing lesson rates, special rates for certain families, automatic or nonautomatic billing, make-up credits--they really know what a music teacher needs!

Cons:

Not much of a minus, but I'd like a little more flexibility with attendance reports. But I have worked out a way to get what I need.

4 years ago

Hey Cynthia! Thank you for trusting your business to My Music Staff. We're happy that you decided to make the switch. The flexibility you were hoping to add to the reporting had to do with knowing the number of lessons a student had in a given period. You can actually already do this by creating a "Lessons Taught" report from the "Studio Reports" menu.

Jack
Director in US
Music, 2-10 Employees

MMS is a solid product which covers most of the bases

Comments: MMS has made scheduling quite efficient. It is fairly easy to navigate once you get used to it. We have been using it for a long time and I know there are features I haven't even gotten to yet. I don't think we've worked with the support team much as we've been able to figure things out. I would be very interested in taking a live class if it were offered just to appreciate the full potential of the software.

Pros:

I especially like the attendance notes. It informs our students (parents) what is to be expected at the next lesson. This is especially good for parents who are not particularly musical, to remind the child specifics of the practice material. I also like the auto reminder sent for next day classes. This gives the student an opportunity to cancel class in time to qualify for a make up class. And, if a class had been verbally cancelled, but the teacher did not log it as such, (s)he is reminded that the class has been cancelled.

Cons:

I wish there was an entry to list the specific instrument being taught at each class. We can list the instrument in the student information section, but it'd be more convenient if it were right there on the calendar. Many instructors teach multiple disciplines and knowing which is being taught at a given class would make it easier for us to book the right room and/or the right substitute.

4 years ago

Hey Jack! You can actually create custom event categories. This would be a great way to detail what instrument is being taught. We'd be happy to walk you through the steps. Send an email to [email protected] or click "Help" in the top right-hand corner of your account and do a quick search for "custom event".

Mark
Music Partner in UK
Education Management, 2-10 Employees

Music Dancing Feet Partnership and My Music Staff - Life has become easier for both staff and pupils

Comments: The main benefit that we have found has been increased reliability of pupil attendance and an enhanced way of keeping track of lessons that need to be caught up.
It has made invoicing easier for both us as a business and for the pupils to see what they owe at a glance.
The Music Dancing Feet Partnership have been really pleased to have joined in partnership with My Music Staff, I would like to say thank you from all of our pupils and staff for making our lives easier.

Pros:

The ease of use to link with pupils. With the ability to create lessons notes as you teach and email them for assistance with practice is a great benefit for both teacher and pupil. The Lesson reminders. the lesson reminder have a two fold benefit in that they reduce the number of no shows for lessons and ensure that pupils remember to let you know if they cannot attend to allow you the scope to offer other lessons to them and to fill their slot; it also gets a lot of correspondence to you in advance of the lesson so that you can have other material ready for the lesson in advance. Invoicing. This has proven to be a very reliable package for invoicing. Student records. A very easy way of keeping all notes up to date and to hand. Library facility I haven't had much call to use this yet but on the occasion that I have lent music out it is an invaluable way of keeping track of who has what. Blog This is an area that is looking to be exploited later in the year.

Cons:

I have not really found any down sides to the software.

Jessica
Private Violin Teacher & Studio Owner in US

A Game Changer for All Private Music Teachers

Comments: MMS has made running my own private studio a breeze. Everything I need for my studio is in one place, and the automation eliminates my need to spend hours at the computer or have a secretary. I can't imagine having to manage my studio any other way.

Pros:

I love the billing process with My Music Staff! Before using MMS, I spent hours creating and sending invoices and then I would have to chase down payments every month. Now it creates and sends the invoices automatically each month and parents pay me on time, because they receive reminders and it is so easy for them to push a button and pay online. I was so surprised in my first month with MMS when parents were sending me payments while I was out enjoying my time off with family - I completely forgot that invoices had gone out already, and I was able to sit back and let MMS do all the work.

Cons:

The only improvements that could be made to MMS is in the website section. I love the design and look of MMS, and that is one of the reasons I chose to use it. It looks so much better and it is so much easier to use than some of their competitors like Music Teacher's Helper. I even love the designs of MMS's ads on facebook and instagram, and the designs of their new printables. While the design for MMS is the best I have seen, the website template designs are not good. The designs look outdated and the personalization features are no where near Wordpress, Squarespace, or other website design companies. This issue is not a big deal breaker for me, because so many of the other features on MMS are fantastic, however it is the only section of MMS that I don't use.

Daniel
Daniel
Redactor de fútbol in Venezuela

A musician in order

Pros:

Are you a musician, do you love to teach, and be a responsible person with your students? Then MyMusicStaff is your necessary tool. Sometimes, a physical agenda is not so useful to be well organized, in addition to only fulfilling the function of scoring, exposing itself to be able to erase the information or not be readable any annotation. Being in the 21st century, it is necessary to use modern tools that help us to have a well-structured planning that is very useful for the teacher (musician), as well as for his students. With MyMusicStaff manage your agenda, your students, your bills and much more, and most importantly, it can be taken with you from any electronic device. It also has the ability to run all day, if you need to write something down immediately. As if that were not enough, MyMusicStaff gives you the possibility to show yourself through the creation of your own virtual page, where you can expose all the musical courses you do, and above all, your brand. Although the application is paid, you have the possibility to try it for 30 days, and you will see that if you are a music teacher, it will be a vital tool for your day to day life.

Cons:

The only detail against this application could have is a platform full of options. It does not seem to be a negative detail, but for people who are not used to these types of tools, they may be overwhelmed by having multiple options without knowing what is used in many cases. For tantom this application is aimed more at contemporary adults who want to live their organized life through a virtual portal. Of rest, 100% recommended.

Dave
Drummer, composer & educator in Australia
Music, Self Employed

Much More Than I Expected!

Comments: Part of my music teaching is done in a school that requires a rotating timetable so the students skip a different class each week for their music lesson. For years I tried communicating these times to students and parents in many ways, none of which seemed effective as there was a great deal of confusion and absenteeism. I searched frequently for some kind of notification system such as the one my dentist uses, but they were all very prohibitively expensive. One day, toward the end of 2014, one my searches turned up My Music Staff, which could send automated email event reminders for a low monthly fee. After using it for a while, I found unexpected features such as keeping track of attendance, make-up credits, lesson notes, providing downloads for students, an online student/parent portal, a sign-up widget, as well as integrated billing to be indispensable for the way I’m now able to run my studio.

Pros:

What I like most about My Music Staff is the Lesson Notes function as it enables seamless continuity from lesson to lesson with each student, which, to me, is most the most important aspect of teaching.

Cons:

As each feature in My Music Staff is likeable in its own way, the only reason why I like the Expense Tracker the least is because I use different accounting software and, therefore, have no need for it.

Ethan
Ethan
Business Owner in US
Music, 2-10 Employees

Takes a lot of the guess work out of the admin work

Comments: My Music Staff helps make a running business simple with all the information set-up, default settings, and scheduling set-up. If it is only one person running all the administrative work while teaching, that normally can be a tall order to fulfill, but My Music Staff takes all the guess-work out of it. It's also very easy to manage other teachers if you have more than one person teaching in a studio. You can easily see how much they have worked, what students attend their lessons and which students do not on any given day and it makes it very simple to pay your employees with that information. Overall, I would strongly recommend this program to a brand new studio, but also wouldn't shy away from saying an established studio could get a lot out of using this program as well.

Pros:

Scheduling and sending out invoices are never difficult and the organization of it all works fantastically.

Cons:

I wish there were a few more options of things that I could do using the website builder, having few more customization options, but it certainly does work as a little better than just a plain placeholder website. Setting up the necessities for the website (showing studio address with a map, student/parent portal, interest forms, etc.) is very easy, but would like to see some more advanced options when it comes to the way text interacts with the page or how some pictures interact on a certain webpage.

Ian
Freelance Musician in UK
Music, Self Employed

My Music Staff Simplified My Life!

Comments: My Music Staff has allowed me to run an efficient business. Students play more because they are more engaged. Parents are happy because invoicing runs efficiently which also results in better cashflow for me as I'm not chasing people for money all the time!

Pros:

It's incredibly easy to use and automatically allows you to present your business as that of a professional who cares about what they do. Invoicing is easy and professional and parents find it easy to pay me which makes my life a lot easier! My students love it because they they can engage with me in ways they previously couldn't allowing me to be their tutor for more than just 30 minutes a week. Parents love it because they know what's happening, can contact me easily and feel part of the child's musical journey. Plus it's really affordable. I attract and retain more students because of My Music Staff so it pays for itself.

Cons:

I would like to be able to change the colouring of the website after logging in to match my own 'corporate' colours but that's a small thing.

Mary
Piano teacher in UK
Music, Self Employed

My first 10 months with My Music Staff.

Comments: Very happy to be on board. I was a member of Music Teachers Helper for more than 10 years but latterly I found that it became a little over complicated for me to follow.

Pros:

The software was well explained and it was easy to try the basics out from the beginning. It is best to explore a little at a time initially, and gradually knowledge of optimising your system will build up, organising timetable/billing/etc concerts and parents are welcome. It is clear that help is easily at hand if you need assistance with questions.

Cons:

I have run a website before and I was looking forward to doing it again with MMS. I’m still learning how to use all things available on MMS……and I have had some snags setting up parental access ..however I haven’t tried out all the ‘help’ yet. I have learnt to love the ‘video music”.. just

Simone
Simone
Managing Director in Australia
Alternative Medicine, Self Employed

Life saver!

Comments: Overally, My Music Staff completely streams my music teaching, making it so much easier to look up attendance, lesson notes, what repertoire they are working on or have requested, who has borrowed books, and most importantly, the invoicing saves me hours of work and has resulted in me getting paid on time - less manually chasing up parents who haven't paid. More parents are paying attention to what I have asked the students to do at home, whereas they never consulted the music diaries I used to write their assignments in. I couldn't live without it!

Pros:

My Music Staff saves me SO much time! Automated billing and late payment reminders means I receive an income on time (and saves me hours each month when I used to manually create invoices for every student, sometimes late!), plus the central storage of notes means I don't have to rely on students bringing their music diaries along, which more often than not were forgotten at home.

Cons:

Some aspects of the billing are fiddly and took a lot of trial and error to work out, such as trying to invoice for lesson books separately to lessons and not have the invoice coming out as already being paid when it wasn't.

Lynn
Lynn
Teacher/CEO/Owner in US

Best Bang for the Buck

Comments: One of the biggest draws for me was the price. I get a *lot* of functionality for a price that doesn't break the bank. As a (very!) small business trying to keep afloat, this means a lot.

Pros:

I have tried many types of music studio management software; online, offline, big, little and in-between. My Music Staff is the best, hands down. The price is extremely reasonable, with no increases for larger studios. I can communicate with my students and parents easily, and put together invoices with just a few clicks. I find it intuitive, and their customer support is very helpful and responsive. I can access it on multiple devices, so my students' needs are taken care of no matter where I am. I recommend it to all music studios, large and small.

Cons:

I wish there were more default choices, and I would like to see it a bit easier to create invoices for semester/yearly based tuition.