Deputy Reviews

4.6 (604) Write a Review!

About Deputy

Deputy: schedule staff, track time and attendance, manage leave, export timesheets to payroll with a click, and stay compliant easily.

Learn more about Deputy

Pros:

The software is fairly easy to use once you get used to it and has a lot of useful features.

Cons:

You have to pay a monthly fee for yourself as an admin user even if you don't input any of your shift info into Deputy and there is also a minimum spend which they only mention in the small print.

Deputy ratings

4.4

8.7/10

Deputy has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 604 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Deputy before?

Glenda
Glenda

Excellent & Easy to Use Time Management System

Comments: Our experience with Deputy right from the very beginning has been nothing but fantastic. If you have any questions, they are answered, if you need help you can get it & it is also very cost effective.
We employ about 30 people & work in the Construction Industry. Due to the fact that there are many varied competencies involved in the type of works we do and there is also a number of different locations on any given day, rostering our staff used to be an absolute headache. Since implementing Deputy we have found this task to be completely trouble free. When we add our Employees to Deputy we input all of their relevant "Training" which includes competencies & site inductions which assists us tremendously when choosing who we can roster to the many different daily tasks we undertake. Our industry also requires that hours of work is reported of which is another feature Deputy is of tremendous value for. Not to mention the ease of actually paying our Employees each week via the connection with Xero.

Pros:

The most helpful feature for us is the "Training" which allows us to know which of our Employees are qualified to undertake different tasks. It is also extremely handy when it comes to paying our wages - no more time sheets !! Once the Employees times have been approved which we try to do on a daily basis, it is just a matter of pushing the button & our payroll in Xero is ready to go. Also the "Scheduling" is wonderful & extremely easy to use.

Cons:

The Android app doesn't provide as many features as the IPhone app.

Howard
Executive Chef in UK
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees

Incredible amount of function. Deputy is a great solution to rostering/payroll if you can afford it!

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Made my busy day easier!

Pros:

Constantly updated, great user interface with lots of features.

Cons:

Can be slow to load on older machines /with a slow internet connection

Ryan
Consumer Services, 2-10 Employees

Stay Away From Deputy!

Comments: Deputy worked fine for us for at least a year. Nothing special, but it integrated with our Gusto payroll and ServiceM8 CRM and that's what we needed. But about 5 weeks ago it lost the ability to calculate over time. If a man works 49 hours in a week, it exports it to Gusto now as 49 straight hours, instead of 40 straight and 9 OT. We have exchanged dozens of emails with Deputy and we only get a canned response back. They say they are looking at it, but we don't believe it. How difficult could it be to compute OT correctly for a time tracking app?!! We don't think there is anyone working there any longer, -just a shell sucking up the monthly fees for as long as possible before folding.

Pros:

The integration with ServiceM8, which is why we chose Deputy

Cons:

Customer service is horrendous, and the product is unreliable.

Albert
Customer Relations Manager in Malta
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees

The HR Software every Business Needs

Comments: The overall experience has been very positive to our business. This software has exceeded our expectations and we are happy that we chose Deputy. Its cost is also very reasonable.

Pros:

As a business, we decided to implement Deputy software because we were finding it difficult to keep a track of time and attendance of employees. This problem started to be faced as we started growing and hence more employees started to be employed. Deputy has surely met our expectations with its extensive range of features we are now able to keep a proper track of all employees attendance as well as distributing tasks to them.

Cons:

Apart from the fact that it may take a few time to get comfortable to using the software, we did not face any issues.

Heather
Company Director in UK
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees

Deputy Helped us to go Paperless

Comments: Since implementing deputy payroll is more accurate, we save at least 35 hours of manual labour per week and we use 65% less paper.

Pros:

Ease of use and security for each member of staff. With the addition of the onboarding facility Deputy has become a vital part of our operation.

Cons:

I wish the scheduling facility was easier to use on a mobile or tablet. As I spend most of my life on the move this would be perfect.

Edie
Operations Support Manager in US
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees

Deputy Review!

Pros:

What we like most about this software is the ease of clocking in and out and tracking our employees locations.

Cons:

We like almost everything about Deputy besides how it and ADP integrate. We are still trying to figure out how to connect the two.

rachael
rachael
Australia & New Zealand Payroll officer in New Zealand
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Outstanding Customer Support

Comments: Since implementing deputy towards the end of 2015 in our business, I have worked closely with Jake and Joseph on making the system work with ease and ensure we are using the system to its potential.
Our business has a high turnover of transient employees who work varied hours and days of work which makes it hard for our managers to roster efficiently.
The team at Deputy have worked with us to add custom features which can help with our daily struggles in turn saving us time and money by being able to roster effectively and ensure we are being compliant at each step.
As the Payroll officer for our Australian and New Zealand region, Deputy have allowed me to streamline the fortnightly payroll process. Removed the need for any manual inputting, in turn ensuring we have time for quality checks, within our limited time constraints on payroll day.
We are a fast paced business and this system works extremely well for our managers creating and publishing the rosters, as well as confirming timesheets.

Pros:

Worked closely with our team to add additional features required Fast response time Realistic time-frames Great problem solving skills, and solutions Helps with rostering efficiently, Forecast of costs, Ensures Compliance Reporting functions Payroll inputting has reduced from 1.5 days to 1Hrs due to new seamless payroll integration New upgrade of system is more user friendly and responsive

Cons:

More updates on system features/upgrades to come More training for Support staff on system set up Doesn't do 'Modern award' interpretation. Although we have now got the system to interpret the Award this was a lot of custom features we worked with the Development team on.

Vaccination Site Manager in US
Computer Software, 501-1,000 Employees

Good Scheduling & Timekeeping Software

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, a good scheduling software. Worked well for me and my teams.

Pros:

Deputy is very user friendly and useful with scheduling and timekeeping employees. It worked well for me as a manager, helping me know what staff I was going to expect as well sending me notifications of the upcoming schedule.

Cons:

I didn't encounter any issues with this software.

Cheryl Ann
Customer Service Representative in Jamaica
Staffing & Recruiting, 5,001-10,000 Employees

The Deputy

5.0 last month New

Comments: My overall experience was good, we've since moved to a new tool.

Pros:

Deputy can be integrated with payroll and other accounting systems which allows you to work smart not hard. It shows your assigned tasks and their status and it allows you add a newsfeed to staff can stay in the loop. Another great thing I liked about Deputy was, it sends emails to let you know when shifts are available so you can claim additional shifts if you wish.

Cons:

As an end user, I found no obvious issues with the tool. It did what it was supposed to do.

Michelle
Michelle
Healthcare Virtual Assistant in Philippines
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees

Deputy

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

You can see everything from schedules of employees to their requested time off. It is now more easier to navigate.

Cons:

I was oy able to use this while adding employees names and work time, kind of difficult coz you have to do it manually or I just wasnt aware there was another easier way?

Nigel
Director in Ireland
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees

Business Critical - Couldn't be without it!

Pros:

We love the fact that it gives both the manager and the staff the flexibility to control their shifts and it gives the employees a sense of ownership - they are almost responsible for their own time management. Not to mention all the flexibility it gives the management of building shift templates, managing leave and the especially the time sheets (now that paid breaks are a feature) it makes payroll preperation a breeze. (We haven't yet used the Xero payroll integration and the Xero payroll has not yet been rolled out in our country, but we are looking forward to it). As a busy little cafe we have also used the task management feature to cover off all of our daily / weekly food safety requirements which makes it much easier for everyone to input their duties and the simple fact is - if its easier, it gets done. Before moving to Deputy we tried a few other products but this one seemed to suit us best and one of the main reasons we moved is because we felt it offered the best value for money especially as our staff numbers change all the time. We have recently expanded our operation to second location and without Deputy the shift management could have been hectic. Having this system already in place just meant that we had one less thing to worry about. Deputy has become an integral part of our daily routine.

Cons:

As mentioned earlier we are a busy little cafe so we spend most of our time on the shop floor, whilst Deputy has a fantastic mobile options and visibility, as managers it would be great if had more flexibility to "approve" more employees requests on the go like shift swaps and leave applications. Also I found that the employees with Android phones seem to have a few bugs still hiding away in their app and they also don't yet have access to the task manager on their phones. However, these are fairly small issues in the great scheme of things and based on the development rate and technical support I have received to date I have no doubt that these are already in the development pipeline. We look forward to the updates as they roll out.

Leanne
Australia

Deputy improves our business efficiency

Comments: We are in the air-conditioning & mechanical services industry with approx 40 employees and a similar amount of sub-contractors working on various sites throughout the Sydney Metropolitan area. Before we installed Deputy we were relying on each individual signing a "sign on/sign off" sheet at the various job sites. On these large construction sites it's very difficult for the site supervisors to monitor the actual start and finish times of individuals. Time sheets were emailed to us on a fortnightly basis from each employee/sub-contractor. These were all formatted differently and made wages preparation a long and laborious task.

Pros:

Each site has an ipad and the employee/sub-contractor logs in at the start and finish of their shift where a photo is also taken which makes the monitoring of staff very easy. The times are approved by the office manager each day and individuals can check what shift times have been approved on their app at any time. Each fortnight the time sheets are printed, which are in an each to read formalt, and wages are prepared from these sheets. This process has reduced approximately five hours of wage preparation. Customer support has also been prompt and efficient.

Cons:

The best way to use Deputy on job sites is with a "kiosk" (ipad). We don't have secure site sheds at all sites so finding a location to put the "kiosk" with available power to charge it was harder in some areas.

Natalie
Pre-ETS Coordinator/Employment Specialist in US
Professional Training & Coaching, 11-50 Employees

Accessible and Easy Use

Comments: I can be on the go and document what I am doing and show that I am on location if needed. It helps me keep track of what clients I met when, and is especially helpful when writing reports and dates are needed.

Pros:

I liked that my coworker who was blind could easily navigate the app using her iphone and text-to-speech. I also like that I can look back at dates and see I did that day, as well as my hours total count for the week. The hours total count is a change that I requested to the app and the updated showed in a reasonable amount of time. The design is easy to use with the iphone app, and I like that the categories can be designed to fit your business tasks for streamlined documentation of how much time is spent doing a certain task. Also, you can put notes to detail what you were doing during that time period which is crucial for staff that are changing tasks all day.

Cons:

Sometimes the app will glitch when putting in an end time and after changing the end time from the current time it will default several times back to the current time instead of the end time you want.

Matthew
Warehouse Manager in US
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 11-50 Employees

Staff management made super easy

Comments: I use deputy every single day to keep tabs on my employees who work in two different locations. Scheduling and managing my employees couldn't be easier. Deputy is a very easy to use software used to track data, time sheets, schedules and communicate with each other.

Pros:

I love the reports that deputy keeps track of. Every report is meticulously categorized and organized, which is a complete life saver. Instead of spending hours sorting through time sheets and data, deputy has all that for me in a single click! Payroll is super simple. I also love the way that I can communicate with 40+ employees through the news feed. I use the news feed for important company announcements and changes which is helpful because everyone has to be on the deputy software, so everyone will see the messages. My employees also interact through deputy among regarding work such as schedules, work processes etc.

Cons:

More functionality with the iOS app. I work a lot through my phone and I would be great if I didn't need to hop on my laptop to access everything I need on deputy.

Joy
Office/Acccounting/Inventory/IT in US

Seamless and cloud based, versatile. App driven for employees mobile devices, schedule at hand.

Pros:

Scheduling is complicated and the data entry process can be tedious, but with the "Copy Shifts" function, entry is made easy and editing is simple. A great tool for time management. App driven for seamless integration with employee mobile devices, schedule at the ready and employees can set alerts, push to calendar, notifications, etc. to their liking. The dashboard is pretty snazzy and clear. Export timesheet function makes payroll a breeze.

Cons:

At present, I have not come across much I did not like, how ever, when exporting timesheet the calendar function does not always default to the current pay period. It seems to default to some odd dates. I am not sure what is causing that as we had set our parameters. Support Chat is good, but sometimes a phone call is necessary.

Vlad
Operations Manager in Australia
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees

Pretty good for a small business

Comments: I quite enjoy using this program and it has great features and flexibility that I need. The updates and the information sent to employees is quick and accurate. However I'm running the food trucks operation and some features cannot be customised, such as particular locations for every day events. But that's just a minor thing. Definitely worth using it.

Pros:

Easy to use for a normal business operation. Very straightforward and clear.

Cons:

The location notification doesnt work very well - when I sign in Deputy at the front door of the restaurant, it says I'm 500m away. Or when I have more than 10 events a week at various locations, the locations cannot be set independently. Also, it gets very messy to allocate 30 shifts to 10 different people at 5 locations.

6 years ago

Thanks for your awesome feedback Vlad! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling. - Team Deputy

Adam
Founder / President in US

Simple program to use with great customer service

Pros:

Simplicity in its use. I also enjoy the ease of inputting employees into the system and the ease of placing employees into shifts. Its quite easy to use and its functionality is great throughout all levels of use. I can tell you that the customer services is also wonderful and quick to reply to any need. They really have someone available around the clock which is quite helpful considering I often times get my admin work done later at night here in the US!

Cons:

Overall, there is not much that I do not like, I do wish that Deputy integrated for little to no cost with accounting or other IT Software programs. I would love to integrate with other programs that I use, but the cost is just too high to do that with the small business that I have. Its ok...easy enough to do on my own due to the ease of use of the program overall.

Alicia
Owner in US

Deputy makes scheduling masses easier. A few features need to be added still though

Pros:

I love that I can copy-paste a schedule from last week, make minor adjustments for employees who have other rotating schedules to work around, or vacation days... it also makes finding available replacements drastically easier

Cons:

I dont like the printable version and I still prefer posting my schedule instead of only having it digital. I want my employees to see my notes for each shift publicly and so I have to screenshot them print which has resolution issues. Therefore I have to size increase the window (ctr+), take two different screenshots, and then stitch together with photoshop in order to share these notes. Also, we are a restaurant that does shifts to phase send people home in order of first clock in time depending on how busy/slow we are or when dinner rush slows down. There is no way to indicate this. I have to use shift end times as estimates and let employees know. Also our POS system Sapphire is not supported and we can't use the clock-in feature

Assistant General Manager in US
Restaurants, 2-10 Employees

Deputy Is Perfect for Our Small Business

Pros:

I like that the Deputy UI is really easy to navigate. There is a lot of information held in Deputy and it could easily be set up non-user friendly, but I find that I have no trouble navigating all of the different hierarchies of information to get to where I need to go. Our staff hasn't had any trouble signing up or jumping in with their schedules. I also really enjoy that it reminds people (and me) when they forget to clock in!

Cons:

While I like that I get reminders that people forget to clock in, I often receive them after they've already clocked in, I wish I got a second notice that they in fact did clock in after receiving their notification. This may seem petty, but it can save some leg work (literally).

Jeremy
Retail, 2-10 Employees

Everything you could ask for in a scheduling app

Comments: Our company tried a few and Deputy ended up being our pick. It does everything you could ever want it to do and then some. Gave 4/5 stars in features and functionality simply because the messaging feature is too limited. However, they could delete this feature altogether and it would still be a 5-star application. Overall, Deputy is a sleek, bug-free system that will make the person in charge of scheduling a happy camper. And the price is right too.

Pros:

Ease of use. Dependability. Beautiful Interface

Cons:

Messaging System

6 years ago

Thanks for your awesome feedback Jeremy! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling. - Team Deputy

Drew
Drew

Interchange Shoalhaven - Deputy

Comments: I have been working on taking our organisation from a paper based time sheet system to an electronic based system and needed something that would tie in with the development of our CRM & Payroll.
We came across Deputy and began our trial with the premium version. After spending some time working with the premium version we chose to engage Deputy for the Enterprise version.
After a bit of time developing the personalized script for our organisations needs we are ready to go live.
The team has been extremely patience with me and very understanding with my many requests.

Pros:

Not only is it a great program to work on, its really easy for anyone to use. I have a number of staff who have very limited I.T skills that have been able to uses the program (both App & Web based) with ease.

Cons:

The only down side to Deputy is that it currently does not capture travel or meal allowances for pay processing (still manually entering into Xero after export).

jimi
Studio Manager in UK
Music, 11-50 Employees

Deputy review

Comments: I manage a business that employs 20 staff and I find Deputy the perfect online service/ app that keeps everything together on the rota. Multi-functioning and great for comms with the team, exporting to our payroll and keeping track of holiday. Would definitely recommend.

Pros:

Instant shift sharing, staff can swap easily, real time updates, clocking in/ out via smart phone. Its really good software.

Cons:

Sometimes exporting to Xero can be problematic, customer service with this issue has been slightly lack lustre, so it required a bit of fiddling.

6 years ago

Thanks for your awesome feedback Jimi! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling. - Team Deputy

Daniel
CTO in Canada
Retail, 11-50 Employees

Invaluable team management tool. This saves an incredible amount of time and money!

Comments: This has saved us an insane amount of time for scheduling and organizing our staff and keep them on track with daily and weekly tasks. We are very pleased with the software and everything it can do.

Pros:

This software has been incredible for organizing our team and schedule. Before using this software, all our scheduling was done on paper and then spreadsheets. It's saved us hours on that part alone. Assigning tasks and being able to track whether or not they've been completed by the assignees has been very useful, especially because upper management staff may not always be in the office, so to be able to do this remotely has been very useful. The interface is also very intuitive and easy to navigate on all platforms, from the desktop tool to the iphone app. We are very pleased with this software and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Cons:

I would have to say the only thing we would like to see added is a geo-tracking function that would allow us to track staff that need to spend a lot of time on the road. They are able to check in and out of locations, but if there was functionality to show real-time locations, that would be very, very helpful to us.

Accounting Supervisor in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 Employees

The Deputy systems is time efficient, easy to maintain and operate.

Comments: By using Deputy I am able to focus on other payroll for our employees that is not paid hourly. My accounting team is able to focus on to focus more on other ares of accounting instead of having to tally time cards and running the risk of errors.

Pros:

I like the fact that I can do 200+ employees in less than a hour for a two week pay period. No more tally time cards and running the risk of tallying them incorrectly. You log in each day and hit just a button to start a shift that is pre-loaded just for you and your hours. Then when going to lunch of brake just hit the button that states break and when finish hit the button that states end break. It is just that simple.

Cons:

The fact that a holiday pay isn't set to pay 8 hours but base on the employees set shift schedule for the day. When you have as many employees as I have and you have to correct them each individually can take a little bit of time. By doing it this way you run the risk of missing someone and paying them incorrectly. Since I have only been using this product for less than 6 months we are looking it this issues to see if maybe we didn't do something correctly when we set up Deputy for our employees.

Daryl
CEO in US
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 Employees

Great Scheduling/Timekeeping product!

Comments: I have reviewed and trial-tested dozens of online scheduling and timekeeping products over the past 7 years. Our company has multiple locations (cost centers) and employees may work in one or more locations. There are very few scheduling products able to handle our situation, and Deputy rose to the top as the one product which outperformed the others.

Pros:

Deputy handles multiple Locations and job codes. Utilizes email, texting, and app based communication (essential for the millenial workforce) Exceptional product support and response time

Cons:

The premium version handles 90% of our wishlist for ideal function at $3.00/user, but has limited access permissions/roles, and VERY limited reports. I understand the enterprise version has many more reports and other features, but and additional $2-$5 dollars per user is too stiff for me.

6 years ago

Daryl, Welcome to Deputy! Thanks so much for the awesome feedback, and we're so grateful to have you as a customer. Your use of our "Locations" feature in Deputy is spot on, and we're happy that our software was able to meet your need. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions in the future! Happy Scheduling, Team Deputy