15 years helping Canadian businesses

About EmailOctopus

Easy-to-use, affordable email marketing tool for businesses and individual creators wanting to grow and engage an audience.

Learn more about EmailOctopus

Pros:

Integration was easy, the software is easy to use overall. Easy to manage your contact lists for ab testing.

Cons:

Lack of functionalities as for automation and possibility of team work.

EmailOctopus ratings

4.7
4.8
4.5
4.8

9.3/10

EmailOctopus has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 440 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used EmailOctopus before?

Jasmine
Jasmine
Marketing Coordinator in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

EmailOctopus: A Great Email Marketing Solution for Small Businesses and Non-Profits

5.0 last month New

Comments: The cost to value with EmailOctopus has been incredible. Reaching out when you need help is easy, and the response is fast. I am glad we made the switch and would recommend more small companies to give them a try.

Pros:

EmailOctopus has a robust template system that makes it easy for anyone to create marketing emails that look nice. The branding template is smooth enough to upload your brand colors, and the tagging, segmenting, and contact field sections allow for customizing demographics for specific emails. EmailOctopus is user-friendly and a wonderful tool at a wonderful price.

Cons:

I would like to see more flexibility in custom reporting, especially when comparing campaigns. In addition, email automation is not intuitive and needs more work.

Alternatives Considered: HubSpot Marketing Hub and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: The cost was prohibitive for the number of emails we were sending out. In addition, many of out emails were not being opened.

Switched From: Constant Contact

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: The cost of EmailOctopus ultimately won us over. However, EmailOctopus' features were equal to those of the other products.

Kirsten
Owner in UK
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Excellent customer service

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I have been very pleased with my experience with EO, so much so that I have recently opened a second account for a charity I'm involved with. I love the ethos of this company - happy to help and support all businesses and organisations, no matter the size, with a big emphasis of excellent customer service.

Pros:

Because of the number of subscribers I have, I am on EO's free plan. However, EO's customer service is brilliant, and I find the design interface and admin dashboard very easy and intuitive to use.

Cons:

Nothing - I have been very happy with the service provided.

Ankit
Founder in India
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

A good affordable email marketing tool

Comments: Overall, I had a good experience, but I really wish that they fix their email builder, and it's buggy.

Pros:

Even though EmailOctopus(EO) is a relatively new tool but it has all the features you will expect it to have. The best this is that it's really affordable.

Cons:

The major problem with EmailOctopus is there UI of email builder. It's really bad and buggy. Also if you try pasting content from Ms-Word or Notion then it changes the formatting which is troublesome to edit. Also if you want to run referral programs for your newsletter then EmailOctopus has very few integrations. They also pushed new update for their forms which makes it compulsory to use it with iframe and not custom html tags. That makes it very static and you can't use your own designs.

EmailOctopus Response

2 years ago

Hi Ankit, Thanks for the review and glad you love our value for money. In respects to your feedback around the email builder, you'll be glad to know we are overhauling it this year and making it much simpler to copy and paste from your favourite tools, while retaining the correct formatting. Our forms, as you've also mentioned, saw an update last year. I think you may have misunderstood the update, as we do not use iFrames and we never have done. All our forms can be style completely by you using CSS, and we have no plans to ever change that. We agree iFrames are not the right solution to use. If you'd like help styling your forms, please contact our team and we'd be glad to show you how.

Paul
Editor in Ecuador
Internet, 2–10 Employees

EmailOctopus is my new go to EMS

Comments: Everything from onboarding and list impor to automations and building my first campaigns has been a breeze. I had a few questions initially, but the team got back to me right away. I started out on Mailerlite and was in the +40% open rate. Then MailChimp dropped that to +30% open rate because my emails were going to spam due to their generic spammy click tracking links getting flagged by Gmail. After switching to EmailOctopus, my open rate has returned to +40% and my deliverability issues are over.

Pros:

EmailOctopus has incredible customer service, which was extremely important to me when choosing a new EMS. Their live chat is extremely responsive, and you're talking with folks who can actually help you, as opposed to outsourced help who are reading from a FAQ document.

Cons:

Their editor could be improved a bit. Sometimes it jumps around if I paste a large HTML section, for example. The editor in general could just be a little more fluid, but it gets the job done.

Alternatives Considered: Ecomail

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: I switched because MailChimp is a garbage product, overpriced, with terrible support. I lost over 2,000 subscribers on MailChimp due to my emails getting flagged as "suspicious" or "dangerous" within Gmail due to MailChimp's spammy click tracking URLs.

Switched From: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: Easier onboarding and faster support. I was having trouble connecting my forms to Ecomail, and after two weeks of back and forth, I couldn't wait any longer to switch off of MailChimp, so I switched to EmailOctopus, which turned out to be a great decision.

Freya J.
Owner in US
E-Learning, Self Employed

Better bang for your buck

4.0 last month New

Pros:

EmailOctopus is a more accessible, user-friendly approach to email marketing than other products I've seen. Instead of trying to woo people with fancy design and loads of features, their site design and client dashboard lets the product speak for itself. Everything I need is easy to find.

Cons:

I wish EmailOctopus had the features I liked about Convertkit, so I wouldn't feel like I was missing too much. For instance, I'd create opt-ins with lead magnets, so someone would subscribe and be sent that opt-in — without me needing to create an automation JUST for that opt-in/lead magnet.

Whitney
Director in US

Helpful and Responsive

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: They have been wonderful to work with, and have been highly responsive to emails when asked for questions or for help!

Pros:

I love that it's easy to use, has all the features we need without low limits on numbers of campaigns or automation, etc.

Cons:

Not being able to save templates from automation, but there's a workaround I figured out.

Jaime
Artist in US
Fine Art, Self Employed

EmailOctopus makes it easy to stay connected with my art collectors

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: So far, EmailOctopus has been a good experience for me and my art business.

Pros:

I find it easy to use EmailOctopus. It reminds me of using blocks in my website provider. It's basic but does everything I need.

Cons:

I haven't found anything yet that I don't like about EmailOctopus.

Alternatives Considered: ConvertKit

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: I found EmailOctopus easier to create and send emails to my art collectors. I also received more functions under the free plan than I did with MailChimp.

Switched From: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: I chose EmailOctopus over ConvertKit because of the cost.

Fabiola
Illustrator in US
Fine Art, Self Employed

A Great Tool for Creatives

5.0 last month New

Comments: I've had a positive experience and the team so far has been responsive and interested in directly engaging with their users.

Pros:

It's my first time using a newsletter. As a creative, I was looking for a platform that would allow me the freedom to explore how I wanted to use a newsletter, that wouldn't hinder my ability to scale because of pricing, and that would take into account the data and privacy of my subscribers. EmailOctopus does just that.

Cons:

I think the WYSIWYG Editor could be improved. It's a little clunky at times, especially when dragging and dropping blocks or moving them around if they're at the bottom of the newsletter (using Firefox).

Alternatives Considered: Ghost , Brevo , Mailcoach , Patreon and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: EmailOctopus seemed simpler than the others. I just wanted a newsletter with no AI and respected my subscribers' privacy. Additionally, EmailOctopus had examples of very creative newsletters that were more like what I intended to use the service for.

Marc
President in US
Entertainment, 201–500 Employees

Good, inexpensive competitor to larger players

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

Very reasonably priced and decent features for basic newsletters and list building.

Cons:

Some processes are convoluted compared to others in this category. Templates aren't as pretty as Constant Contact or Flodesk, and the template design process can be a little buggy and frustrating.

Alternatives Considered: Brevo

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: Pricing and not too happy with their support.

Switched From: Flodesk and Constant Contact

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: Mostly pricing. On a transactional monthly basis, EO will save us thousands per year.

Kehinde
Founder in Nigeria

Email Octopus Review

5.0 last month New

Comments: Excellent email software service. Would always recommend them

Pros:

The ease of use of the interface, the email testing capability before sending and delivery analytics.

Cons:

I would have loved the integration of AI into their email writing canvas

Josh
CEO in South Africa
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Probably one of the best & most cost-effective ESP's out there!

Comments: Truly outstanding customer service. Quick response times and always willing to go out their way to ensure that you are properly looked after. This too is one of the key reasons why we are still with EO and have no intention of leaving. Solid company and staff all round!

Pros:

The thing we love most, is that when you link your Amazon SES account with Email Octopus, you can get a real bargain, esp. when compared to other ESPs out there. The user interface is very intuitive and simple to use, yet, it comes with very advanced email marketing features. All in all, we can recommend EO to anyone looking for an advanced email marketing system that doesn't break the bank.

Cons:

In terms of advanced segmentation, the current version is still somewhat limited, but I've been in touch with their support team who have ensured us that it's on it's way. But other than that, no complaints whatsoever.

Alternatives Considered: SendGrid

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: MailChimp is good, but far too expensive, esp. when you have a larger email database and send out weekly newsletters.

Switched From: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: While SendGrid is known for their ultra-high deliverability rate, the UX of their platform is sub-optimal. We managed to figure things out, but their built-in email templates were seriously lacking in creativity and weren't optimised for mobile at all. After signing up with Email Octopus, we ensured that everything was properly set up with Amazon SES (which granted, took a bit of reading up), but we now have an above average deliverability, open and click rate.

Donald
Owner in US
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

A good inexpensive way to get your email business rolling

Comments: Overall EmailOctpus has done a good job handling what I throw at them and they fit my budget pretty well. Service has been better here than in the other more well know places tried in the past. They seem to be more service-orientated and willing to go the extra mile to help if needed. I'd say I have been pretty happy with most of what they have to offer.

Pros:

The 2500 price point is a great help for those starting out gives them a bit more time to learn and start making some money with their list and to make the payment easier too. Most of the help tutors are easy to understand and if you have trouble the support has been outstanding. Even though it is a chat and I usually don't care for that but theirs has been top-notch. They have good knowledgeable people working the chat and that really a big plus.

Cons:

Pros: They are reasonably priced and offer excellent support. Easy to learn and use with a low learning curve in most areas. They also have more advanced options for integration into many of the more well-known platforms for controlling larger businesses. You also have a knowledge base you can go to when Chat is offline at night that which is very helpful for people like me that do a lot at night.Cons: My biggest pet peeve with them is not being able to use HTML templates made by others you are kinda stuck using theirs and some of them are not too professional looking or fit the needs to might have. Yeah, I'm old school but I can make them work the way I need easier to install on some websites I have custom software and I have to create workarounds to get things working sometimes.

Thomas
Publisher in US
Newspapers, 2–10 Employees

Fantastic Newsletter Publishing and List Maintenance Service

Comments: After a service I'd been using for eight years started developing functionality problems, I checked out competitors and came to EmailOctopus on the basis of a recommendation. Haven't looked back.

Pros:

Everything WORKS. It's easy to import lists. It's easy to set up lead capture pages to get new subscribers. It's easy to create newsletter templates. It's easy to publish campaigns and get them delivered.

Cons:

There's nothing I dislike about EmailOctopus, but if I could suggest one feature it would be social media account linking as opposed to having to manually post links to campaign emails to Facebook and Twitter.

Alternatives Considered: SendGrid

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: My previous service was becoming more complex and less functional/reliable.

Switched From: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: The price was right and EmailOctopus handled specific functions I needed better than Sendgrid (I do use Sendgrid for some other projects).

Ahmed
Co-Founder & CTO in Egypt
Internet, 51–200 Employees

The most to-the-point software I have ever used

Comments: My overall experience is very positive; I wished that I had switched earlier

Pros:

EmailOctopus comes as an acronym for value-for-money; it does the job as efficient as a $4k/month software but doesn't leave the guilt when skipping some campaigns

Cons:

With a lack of direct integrations, using Zapier is easy but costly. However, they provide a straightforward API that I'm planning to make use of, but of course, it'd be even better to have direct integration available

Alternatives Considered: Amazon SES , MailerLite , Brevo and GetResponse

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: - Pricing- Pricing- Pricing- Overcharging - Simplicity of EmailOctopus that fits my exact needs

Switched From: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: The only one that beat EmailOctopus pricing was SES, but it requires building all the features that EmailOctopus has from the ground up; all the others came short at pricing and other features.

Kat
Finance & Operations Officer in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

This is an amazing tool for individuals and orgs who need email/outreach management on a budget!

Comments: The experience has been amazing! It has been transformative for our organization and its outreach.

Pros:

This was incredibly easy to adopt and use. Each part of the experience is highly clean and simplified. I highly appreciate how much functionality is included for the introductory prices.

Cons:

I just wish I could manually batch add contacts to lists. That is, add multiple contacts without needing to upload a CSV.

Alternatives Considered: Campaign Monitor by Marigold , ActiveCampaign , MailerLite and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: Gmail obviously doesn't have everything we need, of course. We were doing everything pretty manually.

Switched From: Gmail

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: Everything had higher price-rates and features we didn't need

Darko
Web Developer in Switzerland

Features, Pricing, Pros & Cons

Comments: EmailOctopus offers a clean interface, competitive pricing, and speedy support. It's preferred over competitors and has gained popularity among users since 2016. Despite some feature limitations, it delivers on user-friendliness, making it a valuable choice for email campaign and marketing.

Pros:

EmailOctopus is appreciated for its user-friendliness, quality templates, drag-and-drop editor, and strong customer service. Its value is highlighted, along with positive feedback from Capterra and G2 reviews.

Cons:

While praised for its ease and value, some users desire improvements in email list segmentation and additional template options.

Alternatives Considered: MailerLite , Moosend , Brevo , Mailchimp and Email Monster

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: I chose EmailOctopus over these alternative products simply because of the price, simplicity and quality.

Kat
Author in US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Can't beat the features for the price

Comments: My overall experience has been positive. I'm comfortable with tech, so setting this up with AWS wasn't difficult. I like the user interface and I think deliverability is at least moderate. I've been able to save 10-20 month using EmailOctopus over the more mainstream and pricey email providers, so I'm happy.

Pros:

I like that I have 90% of the functionality as with the more expensive options, like MailerLite. This allows me to build my newsletter list without the hefty price tag.

Cons:

I wish there were more analysis-type features, like being able to tell me at a glance which subscribers haven't opened an email in six months, and then a mechanism to pull that group out and cull them from my list. Right now the process is manual and time-consuming.

Jennifer Lauren
Jennifer Lauren
Co-Owner in US
Publishing, 2–10 Employees

Switch from MailChimp to EmailOctopus was a no brainer.

Comments: So far, the experience has been wonderful. There have been no issues with setting up or sending out campaigns and it has been easy to learn the platform.

Pros:

The ease of account setup and importing contacts from our old provider to EmailOctopus. I also liked the analytics reports. I also like the lists setup.

Cons:

I wish there was a mobile app to manage contacts and campaigns.

Alternatives Considered: Constant Contact

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: Mailchimp kept changing the offerings for the free and lowest-tier services. Once Intuit took over, it was obvious they wanted everyone to start paying more for every small thing. As a small business I could no longer afford to use MailChimp.

Switched From: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: I liked the ease of use and overall aesthetic of EmailOctopus over the alternatives.

Sumeet
Founder in India
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Best Email Marketing System

Comments: Overall, I think I am using EmailOctopus for more than 3-4 years now I think. I have been very satisfied with their product and haven't found any other service which gives me such good features at this price point. All the best to their team and hoping they take EmailOctopus to new heights.

Pros:

I have been using this since it was a very small product. I have seen it grow and add new features with time. They have definitely grown for the better and added some really nice automated marketing features without increasing the cost too much.

Cons:

Amazon SES reputation management is the biggest issue I have faced. Though, it's not their part of the product directly but there should be some way of managing the reputation and fixing those issues from within their product. Whenever I had doubts, their team did help me out a lot.

Brian
Director in US
Automotive, 2–10 Employees

Small Agency ESP Review

Comments: Very positive.

Pros:

We use EmailOctopus for our small agency to send our newsletters and other targeted email campaigns. Their tool is extremely easy to use and is very cost efficient for small agencies that have to watch every penny. Plus the are continually adding new features to the platform which makes the value increase every quarter!

Cons:

Would like the ability to create sub-accounts. And it's a bummer to pay a foreign transaction fee every month.

Alternatives Considered: Chameleon , SendGrid and Emma by Marigold

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: Better value

Switched From: Campaigner

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: Easy decision. EmailOctupus offered the best value for our agency.

Elle
Self-Published Author in US
Publishing, Self Employed

Excellent Email Service

Comments: My experience with EO has always been personal, accessible, and prompt. Their site "Knowledge Base" is very helpful, and their email templates look good. Most of all, their mission aligns with mine. I couldn't be happier overall!

Pros:

I'm an indie author, and I like having control of my content. EmailOctopus provides great templates and transparent analysis, plus it aligns with my values (responsibility for the environment!) which is a huge boost in my opinion.

Cons:

When I started out, EmailOctopus didn't quite have the diverse functionality that I saw in other big email brands. However I have seen EO add functionality over time, and I myself am not super techy, so essentially I have been able to grow with the service. :)

Alternatives Considered: MailerLite and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: sustainability, accessibility, value for price, transparency

Matt
CEO in US

Email Octopus Is A Top Notch Service Provider

Comments: Good overall and I will continue to be a client as long as I can be.

Pros:

From the ease of signing up, uploading my leads, and creating my first campaign I have really enjoyed using this service. Their support staff is very personal and they work one-on-one with me in a prompt and polite manner. They listen to my issues or concerns and take the time to explain the answers to me. It has been a pleasure working with Email Octopus and I plan to continue to do so for many years to come.

Cons:

When configuring the lead capture form I could not figure out how to set the width of the form fields, or design the form to fit the area on my page for it. I had to instead remove a paragraph on necessary information from the page and design my page around their form.

Pamela
Editor, Writer, Marketing in US
Publishing, 2–10 Employees

A game-changer for those looking for affordable newsletters

Comments: I'm thrilled with my experience with Email Octopus and am glad I switched from the more expensive newsletter providers.

Pros:

I love the pricing, the ease of setting up newsletters, and that I can stay within a budget without losing the newsletter features that allow me to have high subscriber engagement. I also like how easy it is to add new subscribers and that it offers a user-friendly design platform.

Cons:

I haven't had a chance to explore automation yet, but that's one thing I'd like to set up and figure out.

RYAN
RYAN
Trustee, Area 7 in US
Higher Education Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Best Email Service Anywhere

Comments: Outstanding. I have so much control and flexibility to use this service for so many bulk emailing applications and I can scale up or down to mirror my busy seasons. I have been thrilled with this service for years.

Pros:

I have been a user of EmailOctopus for years and have seen the company, services, and functionality grow and develop over time. The customer service has been extraordinary whenever I have had questions and I have always received highly respectful communications from this company. They know that your success makes them succeed as well so they are in your corner every step of the way and they treat customers fairly at all times. The ease and flexibility of this web-based program are outstanding and I have made recommendations in the past that have since been implemented. What the service is now is a godsend for anyone needing to send bulk emails whether frequently or occasionally because they allow you to scale up or down to your needs, which I see as further proof of their customer first philosophy. The setup is easy if you follow the instructions or ask for any help and once you are setup with amazon and email octopus, you can be confident that you will achieve everything you desire with this service. Best of luck to you all in future endeavors.

Cons:

None Exist. Try to change my mind. This service is outstanding.

Freeman
Freeman
CMO in US
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

Love EmailOctopus!

Pros:

EmailOctopus is focused on one thing - helping you send beautiful emails to your subscribers. It's not bloated, it's simple to use, and it's priced very competitively. We switched from Mailchimp a few years ago. We love the ability to use our Amazon SES account to keep costs low for our high volume of weekly email sends. I've also switched client's from Mailchimp to the EmailOctopus Pro plan and it always saves them time and money.

Cons:

Would be great to have more integrations with other content management systems but they keep improving every day!

Alternatives Considered: ConvertKit , Drip Email Marketing , Mailchimp and AWeber

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: Price and ease of use. You shouldn't need a course to be able to understand how to use your email management service.