About EmailOctopus

Easy-to-use, affordable email marketing tool for businesses and individual creators wanting to grow and engage an audience.

Learn more about EmailOctopus

Pros:

Integration was easy, the software is easy to use overall. Easy to manage your contact lists for ab testing.

Cons:

Lack of functionalities as for automation and possibility of team work.

EmailOctopus ratings

4.6
4.7
4.3
4.8

9.2/10

EmailOctopus has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 222 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used EmailOctopus before?

RYAN
RYAN
Trustee, Area 7 in US
Higher Education Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Best Email Service Anywhere

Comments: Outstanding. I have so much control and flexibility to use this service for so many bulk emailing applications and I can scale up or down to mirror my busy seasons. I have been thrilled with this service for years.

Pros:

I have been a user of EmailOctopus for years and have seen the company, services, and functionality grow and develop over time. The customer service has been extraordinary whenever I have had questions and I have always received highly respectful communications from this company. They know that your success makes them succeed as well so they are in your corner every step of the way and they treat customers fairly at all times. The ease and flexibility of this web-based program are outstanding and I have made recommendations in the past that have since been implemented. What the service is now is a godsend for anyone needing to send bulk emails whether frequently or occasionally because they allow you to scale up or down to your needs, which I see as further proof of their customer first philosophy. The setup is easy if you follow the instructions or ask for any help and once you are setup with amazon and email octopus, you can be confident that you will achieve everything you desire with this service. Best of luck to you all in future endeavors.

Cons:

None Exist. Try to change my mind. This service is outstanding.

George
Software Engineer in US
Computer Software, Self Employed

Refreshingly Simple and Straightforward

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: An excellent tool for most email-marketing situations. I've used it on several client sites for letting them build their own newsletters and email lists, and have not had a single complaint about it. If you are looking for a tool to migrate your email list of hundreds of thousands of users to, EmailOctopus probably isn't for you—but if you're an average-sized business or creator, it's really my preferred option now, and much less spammy/convoluted than something like ConvertKit!

Pros:

Email Octopus is really a great tool for—in my opinion—80–90% of situations where you need email marketing. For the large part it "just works", and I have no trouble getting my clients to use it, which cannot be said about other similar tools.It's quite easy to make great-looking forms and landing pages, and the WordPress plugin is a joy to use—makes things much easier!

Cons:

If it's a great tool for 80–90% of situations, then I have to admit it has some shortcomings for those less-common use cases where you really need something robust and more flexible.Its API documentation is a bit lacking, for example, and while things "just work" for the most part, a consequence of this is that you don't have nearly as much control over precise details as you would with a larger—and admittedly more expensive—tool in this same spce.

Alternatives Considered: ConvertKit, Campaign Monitor and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: ConvertKit's branding is a bit of a turn off. It's either just...bad (remember that whole weird thing of temporarily being named "Seva"?), or has a very heavy marketer/car-salesman vibe to it.But it was a decent tool for a long time, so worth using.I came across EmailOctopus via its WordPress plugin, and was intrigued by the simplicity and refreshing marketing and design, which felt so much more "normal" and straightforward than e.g. ConvertKit.I started using it one some personal projects, and after loving it, am now using it with some freelance clients. A few of those are switched over from ConvertKit and we're all happier for it.

Switched From: ConvertKit

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: There are situations where I'd go with a tool with more features and more developer possibilities (i.e. a more fully-fleshed-out, better-documented API with ideally some SDKs ready to go).But EmailOctopus is a great balance of focused feature-set, cost, design quality, and customer support, so it's becoming my go-to!

Ankit
Founder in India

A good affordable email marketing tool

Comments: Overall, I had a good experience, but I really wish that they fix their email builder, and it's buggy.

Pros:

Even though EmailOctopus(EO) is a relatively new tool but it has all the features you will expect it to have. The best this is that it's really affordable.

Cons:

The major problem with EmailOctopus is there UI of email builder. It's really bad and buggy. Also if you try pasting content from Ms-Word or Notion then it changes the formatting which is troublesome to edit. Also if you want to run referral programs for your newsletter then EmailOctopus has very few integrations. They also pushed new update for their forms which makes it compulsory to use it with iframe and not custom html tags. That makes it very static and you can't use your own designs.

EmailOctopus Response

5 months ago

Hi Ankit, Thanks for the review and glad you love our value for money. In respects to your feedback around the email builder, you'll be glad to know we are overhauling it this year and making it much simpler to copy and paste from your favourite tools, while retaining the correct formatting. Our forms, as you've also mentioned, saw an update last year. I think you may have misunderstood the update, as we do not use iFrames and we never have done. All our forms can be style completely by you using CSS, and we have no plans to ever change that. We agree iFrames are not the right solution to use. If you'd like help styling your forms, please contact our team and we'd be glad to show you how.

Josephine
Owner in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

User-friendly, customer-centric email management system

5.0 last month New

Pros:

EmailOctopus makes it really easy to design and send email campaigns, both automated and as one-off emails or newsletters. I switched from MailChimp after they failed miserably in their Customer Service department, and I've been so impressed by the personal and fast assistance I've gotten from EmailOctopus so far. No complaints!

Cons:

A small issue for me has been that sometimes, unless I'm extremely careful to check 2-3 times, the font size on some sections of my emails randomly gets re-sized and doesn't match the rest of the email. This looks unprofessional. But if I'm careful and double or triple check, I can avoid this.

Alternatives Considered: ConvertKit

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: I switched because MailChimp did not alert me in ANY way once I reached my subscriber limit, and they just stopped sending my automated welcome sequence. For about a week, all new subscribers signed up to my email list but did not receive any welcome emails. This was very frustrating.

Switched From: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: Affordability and smaller size company, because I was looking for more personalized customer support.

Ian
President in US

Everythin we Need

5.0 last month New

Comments: We have used email octopus for many years. I can't comment on the support - because we have never really needed them - their product just runs properly and without issues. We use it for a lot of things, but primarily for email lists for our users and list management. Their API was easy to integrate into our app, and it makes things really smooth and easy.

Pros:

Easy to use, almost never a bug, affordable

Cons:

UI can be a bit weird, but is super minor. Its a really great product

Alternatives Considered: Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: Constant contact was expensive, limited, and we always seemed to have to contact support.

Switched From: Constant Contact

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: We chose email Cotopus for the cost factor originally, but grew to appreciate how well their product works

Ahmed
Co-Founder & CTO in Egypt
Internet, 51-200 Employees

The most to-the-point software I have ever used

5.0 last month New

Comments: My overall experience is very positive; I wished that I had switched earlier

Pros:

EmailOctopus comes as an acronym for value-for-money; it does the job as efficient as a $4k/month software but doesn't leave the guilt when skipping some campaigns

Cons:

With a lack of direct integrations, using Zapier is easy but costly. However, they provide a straightforward API that I'm planning to make use of, but of course, it'd be even better to have direct integration available

Alternatives Considered: Amazon SES, MailerLite, Sendinblue and GetResponse

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: - Pricing- Pricing- Pricing- Overcharging - Simplicity of EmailOctopus that fits my exact needs

Switched From: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: The only one that beat EmailOctopus pricing was SES, but it requires building all the features that EmailOctopus has from the ground up; all the others came short at pricing and other features.

Elle
Author in US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Excellent Options for Newsletters!

5.0 last month New

Comments: I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I'm proud of the email marketing I do, and--once again--I feel so good about working with this company, because I can see that they honor their values. I'm at the beginning of my career so this past year has seen a lot of growth, and EO has grown right alongside me. Looking forward to many more years!

Pros:

I *love* the way my newsletter looks, and I appreciate the streamlined management system. I also just adore this company and the fact that they give back to the community. Every employee I've spoken to has been kind, helpful, and friendly.

Cons:

As an author who's constantly learning, I follow many of my fellow authors' newsletters, so I notice that there are a few features that other newsletter programs have which are not--to my knowledge--on EmailOctopus. Yet. In the year+ that I've used EO, I've seen them add features fairly regularly.

Alternatives Considered: MailerLite and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: Much more beginner-friendly pay structure; more accessible & friendly staff; environmentally conscious.

Mary
Founder, Director in US
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

I traded the monkey for an octopus and never looked back.

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall I am thrilled to bits, and I am sure as time goes on that the software is only going to get better and better. I have suggested to many of my clients that they consider Email Octopus for their marketing emails provider.

Pros:

I am a solopreneur who is in the process of building her email empire. At the moment, I have an absolutely tiny email list. I was really struggling to find a company that could meet my needs as someone just getting started. So many other providers were so expensive that I could not justify the cost of the program. Email Octopus is a company that will grow with me - and won't break my budget once I get to where I want to be. Building emails is simple - it works just like other drag-n-drop email builders, but the difference is that it is somehow even easier to use. The landing page builder is also simple and functional. The couple of interactions I have had with the Email Octopus team have been overwhelmingly positive.

Cons:

Audience segmentation leaves some things to be desired. While Email Octopus is on par with Constant Contact and Flodesk in terms of segmentation, they don't have as many customization options as MailChimp. This isn't a problem for me right now at this stage, but it is something that I am a little worried about for the future.

Alternatives Considered: Flodesk, Constant Contact and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: Price, ease of use, and the fact that they can grow with me.

Thibault
Thibault
President in Luxembourg
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees

If you found Mailchimp being overcomplicated, you gonna love EmailOctopus

5.0 last month New

Pros:

For me, EmailOctopus is like what Mailchimp was, and what it was great about. Doing email campaigns and doing it right. EmailOctopus is that. And we love it.

Cons:

It does one thing great but I would have love a bit of more user friendlyness regarding the list management.

Maisarah
Maisarah
Marketing Executive in Malaysia
Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Simple and cheap for a email marketing manager software

Pros:

EmailOctopus provides a dependable platform at a reasonable price, with exceptional customer service. Questions are swiftly and thoroughly answered. The platform is simple to use and offers a wide range of options that i have use to write our newsletter and email marketing content.

Cons:

I'd want to see the email builder drag and drop functionality enhanced. It works okay, and the emails are attractive, but it isn't as polished as some other newsletter builder software that I have used. The email template should be more customizable and easy to add a design into it.

Josh
CEO in South Africa
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees

Probably one of the best & most cost-effective ESP's out there!

Comments: Truly outstanding customer service. Quick response times and always willing to go out their way to ensure that you are properly looked after. This too is one of the key reasons why we are still with EO and have no intention of leaving. Solid company and staff all round!

Pros:

The thing we love most, is that when you link your Amazon SES account with Email Octopus, you can get a real bargain, esp. when compared to other ESPs out there. The user interface is very intuitive and simple to use, yet, it comes with very advanced email marketing features. All in all, we can recommend EO to anyone looking for an advanced email marketing system that doesn't break the bank.

Cons:

In terms of advanced segmentation, the current version is still somewhat limited, but I've been in touch with their support team who have ensured us that it's on it's way. But other than that, no complaints whatsoever.

Alternatives Considered: SendGrid

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: MailChimp is good, but far too expensive, esp. when you have a larger email database and send out weekly newsletters.

Switched From: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: While SendGrid is known for their ultra-high deliverability rate, the UX of their platform is sub-optimal. We managed to figure things out, but their built-in email templates were seriously lacking in creativity and weren't optimised for mobile at all. After signing up with Email Octopus, we ensured that everything was properly set up with Amazon SES (which granted, took a bit of reading up), but we now have an above average deliverability, open and click rate.

Nessma
Manager in Oman
Publishing, 2-10 Employees

A good option if you're starting out

Comments: It's a nice provider is you're starting up and don't have many subscribers; less than 2500. The templates are very convenient and attractive to use. Tagging and segmentation got better better over the time. However, opening rate is still concerning due to inefficient CAN Spam that leads to identifying emails sent from EmailOctopus as spam instead of landing in the receiver's inbox folder.

Pros:

When I started using EmailOctopus, the first feature that attracted me to their service was their templates. There is a good variety to choose from. The designs are nice and not boring like most of the presets that come with mailers. It was easy to use to send weekly newsletters.

Cons:

I faced two problems when I used EmailOctopus. One, the open rate was dismal compared to other mailing services due to spam complaints. Most of the emails were either sent to spam or blocked. It caused delivery issues that eventually made me use a different mailer. Two, list management. I wasn't able to import subscribers easily, segment or segregate or have a lead page to gather subscribers.

EmailOctopus Response

5 months ago

Hi Nessma, Thanks for taking the time to review. I'm glad to say EmailOctopus does completely support imports of subscribers, along with segmentation and segregation. We also have a range of landing pages within EmailOctopus so you can grow your list, for free, easier than ever. We'd love you to have a go at using these, so please reach out to our Support team who will gladly point you in the right direction to start.

Jargon
Manager in US

This is the one!

Comments: 10/10

Pros:

EmailOctopus was SOOOOOO easy to use! I love it. I came over discouraged AF from trying MailChimp. Anyone whoever used MailChimp either has a degree in the software or hired someone. It is ridiculously difficult to use and it embeds itself into everything. EmailOctopus is so simple and effective. I got real-time results and I ended up making quite a bit of money emailing old customers. I will definitely be using EmailOctobus from here on out.

Cons:

The only thing I didn't like is that I didn't find it sooner.

Alternatives Considered: Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: MailChimp was too difficult to use

Switched From: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: EmailOctupus is easy to use and doesn't require much setup. Zero headaches, zero nonsense

Mikey
Author in UK
Entertainment, Self Employed

Reliable and cost-effective

Comments: Overall I've been very pleased. I have tried several other providers and found that this service is excellent and compares well with other providers who charge a lot more for similar features.

Pros:

EmailOctopus offers a reliable platform at an excellent price, and the level of customer support is particularly good. Questions are answered promptly and efficiently. The platform is easy to use and has a good range of features.

Cons:

I'd like to see the drag and drop email editor improved. It works well enough and the emails look good, but it is not as slick as other editors I've used.

Alternatives Considered: MailerLite and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: I wanted to switch from a self-hosted email platform to a hosted one, and it was important that the service I chose integrated with Bookfunnel and my website.

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: I've tried all those listed and a few more. MailerLite let me down several times. They were unreliable and their support was poor. Sendfox is very basic and charges for options such as single optin lists. Mailpoet has a great editor and integrates with my site beautifully, but it didn't integrate with Bookfunnel, and that was a dealbreaker. Mailchimp has become very expensive.

Kat
Author in US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Can't beat the features for the price

Comments: My overall experience has been positive. I'm comfortable with tech, so setting this up with AWS wasn't difficult. I like the user interface and I think deliverability is at least moderate. I've been able to save 10-20 month using EmailOctopus over the more mainstream and pricey email providers, so I'm happy.

Pros:

I like that I have 90% of the functionality as with the more expensive options, like MailerLite. This allows me to build my newsletter list without the hefty price tag.

Cons:

I wish there were more analysis-type features, like being able to tell me at a glance which subscribers haven't opened an email in six months, and then a mechanism to pull that group out and cull them from my list. Right now the process is manual and time-consuming.

Freeman
Freeman
CMO in US
Education Management, 2-10 Employees

Love EmailOctopus!

Pros:

EmailOctopus is focused on one thing - helping you send beautiful emails to your subscribers. It's not bloated, it's simple to use, and it's priced very competitively. We switched from Mailchimp a few years ago. We love the ability to use our Amazon SES account to keep costs low for our high volume of weekly email sends. I've also switched client's from Mailchimp to the EmailOctopus Pro plan and it always saves them time and money.

Cons:

Would be great to have more integrations with other content management systems but they keep improving every day!

Alternatives Considered: ConvertKit, Mailchimp Transactional Email, Drip Email Marketing, Mailchimp and AWeber

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: Price and ease of use. You shouldn't need a course to be able to understand how to use your email management service.

Sumeet
Founder in India
Retail, 2-10 Employees

Best Email Marketing System

Comments: Overall, I think I am using EmailOctopus for more than 3-4 years now I think. I have been very satisfied with their product and haven't found any other service which gives me such good features at this price point. All the best to their team and hoping they take EmailOctopus to new heights.

Pros:

I have been using this since it was a very small product. I have seen it grow and add new features with time. They have definitely grown for the better and added some really nice automated marketing features without increasing the cost too much.

Cons:

Amazon SES reputation management is the biggest issue I have faced. Though, it's not their part of the product directly but there should be some way of managing the reputation and fixing those issues from within their product. Whenever I had doubts, their team did help me out a lot.

Steven
Director in US
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees

E-mail Octopus is a great platform

Comments: Overall, our experience has been great. Any time I've had a question or a problem the support center is very responsive, even factoring in the time lag because I'm in the United States and they are in Great Britain.

Pros:

E-mail Octopus is very easy to use. It is an intuitive program. Over the past three years that we have been using it it has been nearly flawless. But the best thing about it is it's affordability and flexibility.

Cons:

If I had to pick just one thing about the program that I would change would be on the reporting side. It gives good data about the number of opens, numbers who unsubscribe and bounces. However when they report clicks the base it not just on the number of opens but also factor in even the number who never opened the e-mail. To me, that doesn't make sense. How can you report data on someone who never even opens the e-mail.The realistic number of click throughs should be based on the actual number of the people who have opened the e-mail. That is the most accurate data a user like myself can benefit from.

Brian
Director in US
Automotive, 2-10 Employees

Small Agency ESP Review

Comments: Very positive.

Pros:

We use EmailOctopus for our small agency to send our newsletters and other targeted email campaigns. Their tool is extremely easy to use and is very cost efficient for small agencies that have to watch every penny. Plus the are continually adding new features to the platform which makes the value increase every quarter!

Cons:

Would like the ability to create sub-accounts. And it's a bummer to pay a foreign transaction fee every month.

Alternatives Considered: Chameleon, SendGrid and Emma

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: Better value

Switched From: Stream Send E-Mail Marketing

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: Easy decision. EmailOctupus offered the best value for our agency.

Ben
Web Developer in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

The best Email Marketing option!

5.0 last month New

Comments: I'm very happy using this email marketing provider, I'm sending one Marketing mail weekly!

Pros:

I tried several email marketing tools, and EmailOctopus is the best option, is very friendly and easy to use.

Cons:

No negative feedbacks for now, I'm very happy to find and use this tool to connect with my client's trough this e-mail service.

Alternatives Considered: Sender

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus: The free version of MailChip is limited to 500 contacts and Octopus the limit is 2500

Switched From: Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: I invest a decent time in research looking for an email marketing provider and even when EmailOctopus is not too popular is having the right tools to send and succeed my marketing campaign emails.

CEO in US

Happy customer for over two years.

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall, the experience with EmailOctopus has been largely positive.

Pros:

EmailOctopus looks easy at first, but I will highly encourage anyone to look into the API for more serious use cases. Depending on your mileage, it may take you longer to integrate, but if you have worked with competitors, it only should take you a few hours at most to build a fully integrated flow with the API.

Cons:

The editor is a little finicky at times and the documentation for power users could be made more visible. I would also expect better support for managing multiple accounts at this price point.

Alternatives Considered: SendGrid and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus: The Octopus is cuter.

Matt

Email Octopus Is A Top Notch Service Provider

Comments: Good overall and I will continue to be a client as long as I can be.

Pros:

From the ease of signing up, uploading my leads, and creating my first campaign I have really enjoyed using this service. Their support staff is very personal and they work one-on-one with me in a prompt and polite manner. They listen to my issues or concerns and take the time to explain the answers to me. It has been a pleasure working with Email Octopus and I plan to continue to do so for many years to come.

Cons:

When configuring the lead capture form I could not figure out how to set the width of the form fields, or design the form to fit the area on my page for it. I had to instead remove a paragraph on necessary information from the page and design my page around their form.

Kristian
Founder & MD in Netherlands
Internet, 2-10 Employees

Simple & Effective

Comments: Incredible. In the time & age where platform are becoming extremely bulky, EmailOctopous keeps it simple, clean, automated. Customer support is on point every time.

Pros:

- Simple yet powerful - Not overwhelming - Incredible customer support - Fantastic automation

Cons:

- Segmentation features - Advanced automation & workflows

Ken
Entertainment, 11-50 Employees

Email Octopus Save Money

5.0 last month New

Comments: The experience has been very good. Hopefully they will continue to improve the product with quick editing features.

Pros:

It's integration with amazon ses is key which lowers the overall price when compared to aweber or other products.

Cons:

Needs a better system for removing inactive users.

Jasmine

The Best Software I’ve used

5.0 last month New

Pros:

The interface is easy to use and the email sending is easy to access. Unlike other email platforms I’ve tried, I love that there is a minimum amount of subscribers you must have before you must buy the paid plan. Nothing is complicated about this. It’s a great tool.

Cons:

I wish there was a mobile app but other than that, nothing is wrong with it.