STACK Reviews

by Stack Construction Technologies

• Overall
    4.5 /5
    4.5 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.7 /5

About STACK

Bid & Win More Profitable Work in Less Time with STACK! Cloud-based, Free Support/Training. Create Your Free Account Today!

Learn more about STACK

Showing 1,068 reviews

Lance O.
Construction, Self Employed
    3.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 2016-08-25

"First Year with Stack CT"

Pros: Stack Estimating allows a very flexible approach to take offs and preparing estimates. I've been using this software for just over a year and had previously used another software with other companies. Stack is fairly streamlined, allows multiple options, and organizes your quantities in a way that is very user friendly and easy to manage.

Cons: I find myself frustrated with creating my take off library before starting a project. There are many options, but it would be nice to be able to set some defaults when creating items. For example, when creating a count item, it automatically generates a 'Medium' check mark with 'Medium' line weight. With every count item, I am changing this to 'Small' and 'Small' because the current default obstructs too much of the plan. They have a library that you can set, but every plan has different items so I can only use the library for so much.

• Reviewed on 2016-08-25
Matt C.
  • Reviewed on 2017-01-24

"Simple and Easy to Use!"

Comments: For very quick masonry estimates, nothing beats this software. For more advanced/detailed prints, as long as you take your time this will work just fine. I haven't seen a friendlier piece of software at an affordable price that gives you want you need without being headache to setup.

Pros: We looked for a very long time for a very simple takeoff program and this is definitely it. We have used this program for the past year and a half to get measurements on masonry and it has not failed us. Our trade does not need super advanced features so this suites us perfectly. If you have a properly scaled PDF then you can hit the ground running for your measurements. Otherwise, determining your own scale is very simple to do and I've even taken pictures of blueprints with my phone to roughly estimate one of our simpler prints in under 10 prints from the camera snapping. Amazing.

Cons: Due to this program being available online only sometimes it can be finicky if you have a poor internet connection or if there is some sort of (extremely rare) maintenance. As stated earlier, we use this for masonry so it does not need advanced features. But as with all estimating, you will still need a basic knowledge of your trade's quirks. If you can't see a wall on an elevation because it is returning into the building then you will need to approximately draw it in under your elevation based off of a foundation plan or floor plan. Not super hard but it just will not do all of the work for you.

Hi Matt,

Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Curley Brothers Brick & Masonry and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

• Reviewed on 2017-01-24
Jonathan F.

"STACKED REVIEW"

Comments: Overall my experience with this program has been fantastic. Im one for articulate writing, but there is very little bad i can say about this program on the overall. I use it sometimes 10 hours a day straight.

Pros: This software is the most user friendly software i have used. It does not matter what form the drawings are in. I can scale and take off a scanned set of drawings just as easily as i can with a downloaded set of drawings.
I have a few pdf programs downloaded which i can scale to which do not require me to upload anything. However if i can afford the opportunity i always prefer to load the drawings into stacked for scaling and takeoff.

Cons: One of my least favorite features is the "Auto Name" function. This feature tends to need a bit more work. Granted there is the option to manually name each page; which is fine for small projects with just a few sheets. However the larger jobs this is just tedious and time consuming.

Tom R.
  • Reviewed on 2017-05-16

"Easy to use, Easy to Set-up, Flexible so easy to manipulate and change settings"

Comments: I can use it anywhere and it is always updated. I can start a project at work, pick up where I left off at home, and then access it when I am on the road or at the airport

Pros: The updates have made the software even more intuitive and quick. Each update has made the software easier to use and has not brought in any unnecessary forms or functions. The uploading of drawings is super fast.

Cons: The software does not work well at all on my ipad pro. The calendar does not work well, and I it takes me more time to search the list view. I cannot really measure at all because the software does not recognize the input from the pencil. I would like to see an app or better support for the Ipad.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 2017-05-22

Hi Tom,
Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of R3 Painting and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

• Reviewed on 2017-05-16
Mikel G.
  • Reviewed on 2018-05-29

"Simply the best, Tina Turners words, not mine"

Comments: The trainings as well as the constant help from the STACK team is amazing. There is always an answer to my questions, and if I have ever struggled in an area, we were able to personalize a training session to figure out the best way to make the program work for us.

Pros: I like the ease of use, paired with customizable options for every project. I can build complete packages if it is a similar job I am doing over and over. I can sit down with a 5,000 SF home, and depending on which trades I am bidding on, can be complete with takeoff and materials needing in under an hour.

Cons: I don't like that there is no IPAD PRO useability other than as a viewer. It would make running takeoff in the field amazing and eliminate some of the other programs I need in my field.

Dylan M.
Glass, Ceramics & Concrete, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019-01-30

"STACK truly cares about you and your opinions."

Comments: I had the opportunity to meet some of the staff out at the World of Concrete. After talking with a few of them, I have zero intentions of ever using another takeoff program. I look forward to many years to come! Thanks y'all!

Pros: I came into STACK as someone who barely knew how to print a piece of paper. They have a chat button at the bottom where you can be directly connected to one of their team members in less than 5 minutes. They have taken the time to make videos showing a step by step process on how to do ANYTHING in the program. The program is also extremely accurate. All of my quantities have been spot on.

Cons: There are absolutely zero cons. However, if i have to pick something it would be that if your plans are not in order when you download them then they will not be in order on the display. If you could rearrange the plans once they were downloaded it would be perfect.

• Reviewed on 2019-01-30
Chuck P.
estimator
  • Reviewed on 2017-05-23

"Overall, very good software."

Pros: I've been using Stack software for about three years, and they have continued to get better. The software has become easier to use, and features are overall better.

Cons: I have requested, and continue to request a way to take off metal panel roofing that would determine panel amounts and lengths as one of their predecessor programs did, however they either seem reluctant, or unable to.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 2017-05-24

Hi Chuck,
Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Ketcher & Co and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

• Reviewed on 2017-05-23
Allen W.
Project Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 2018-08-17

"Very Good Basic Tool"

Pros: The ease of use is hard to replicate. I can teach new estimators how to use this tool in a matter of minutes with very little advanced training needed that they can't figure out on their own.

Cons: No Circular tools. I know it's a difficult issue to tackle but the need for a circular takeoff is in about 35% of our takeoffs and it can get rather annoying. Another thing that would be nice is a Cutout/Replace tool where I wouldn't have to cut out and the redo that exact material again. This is a VERY Common event for us. Also, the ability to delete multiple files has been made a lot better, but it can still be rather annoying.

• Reviewed on 2018-08-17
Frank M.
  • Reviewed on 2018-05-30

"Time saver and accurate estimating software"

Comments: The folders for plans.
Weekly training sessions or tricks.
An app for Android.

Pros: I like the ability to create my own take offs and to accurately measure everything. I used to print and measure with a ruler...never again. Saves money and time. Reports are great. Project schedule in the monthly view shows how many estimates I created and there current status in a quick view.

Cons: Kind of expensive.
sometimes it is glitchy and freezes up or I will type something and it just erases, seems like I am faster then the program at times when setting up the takeoffs.
I wish the organization of the plans was better. I do a lot of revisions and there just isn't a folder system that is set up yet. Would be nice instead of all plans, old and revised all in the same view.

• Reviewed on 2018-05-30
Josh S.
VP
  • Reviewed on 2017-01-23

"Very Good Take Off System"

Comments: My experience has been mostly positive and I am grateful for this software. We've gone from one account to three accounts now and are liking it. The only complaint I have is the changes in the past have occurred to rapidly and prematurely before they were perfected.

Pros: Convenience and internet based

Cons: Ever changing product. Internet based.

Hi Josh,

Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Schulte Roofing and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

Have an awesome day & thank you again!

• Reviewed on 2017-01-23
James W.
  • Reviewed on 2018-06-04

"Does the job but needs improvement"

Comments: Your take off software needs improvement. We've waited over a year for significant updates and they haven't occurred. We have subscribed again but we won't be unless updates are made shortly as our business is growing rapidly and we need software that will keep up and OST will keep up.

Pros: It's better than a lot of other take-off software. Is in colour and is easily printable. The support is always there.

Cons: There are many things OST does that Stack does not.
1. Being able to select the dimensions of the 'count' function. ie; 2000x500mm rectangle.
2. Being able to re-assign a measurement to another measurement. ie; I measured an area for 10 minutes as turf but it was actually garden. Select the area, right click, re-assign to garden. This means you don't have to delete the item and waste more time.
3. Being able to overlay plans. ie; Your client issues a new set of plans and you need to check the difference between the old and the new.
4. Being able to calculate multiple measurements in one. ie; I want a m2 area with my measurement so I can calculate mulch however, this is in a planterbox and I also need to calculate the soil depth as well as drainage cell to walls so I really need m2, m3 and perimeter functions all engaged.
5. We're not interested in Stack Estimating as it is all Microsoft excel based, like most other programs, making it only based on rates, rather than being able to adjust accordingly for site constraints using different machinery and access requirements.
6. Your legend key needs updating. It doesn't fit correctly on the page nicely.

• Reviewed on 2018-06-04
Jack W.
Building Materials, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016-11-23

"A company that will not stand behind their product."

Comments: The product is not suited for the Masonry business and the so called experts can not make it work properly. I was on the phone several times with these experts and they had to get off and go and consult with other members to try and resolve issues. They leave you for days while trying to figure out your problems before they return calls. I was told on one occasion that it would be three days before they could get back with me, all the while I had a bid due the next day. I simply ask to have my money refunded since I had the software less than 30 days, and it took them 3 weeks to send me an email denying my refund. As many of you understand that own businesses, the honorable thing to do would be to make the customer happy, not steal their money and just claim the software works fine.

Cons: The catalog they push so highly is not suited for the real world. The software that they claim they have experts to support you with do not know how to resolve the problems. The support center plays the game of deny and delay, hoping you will figure it out on your own, or just stop calling. I was offered a 30 day trail which they now are not honoring and refusing to refund my money.

by Lindsay on 2016-12-12

At STACK, we place great priority on user experience and we’re incredibly proud of the positive response we receive from our customers as a result.
We’re sorry to learn that in this particular case, we have a user that was less than satisfied. We can assure that the comments and feedback shared here have not been taken lightly. However, after a comprehensive review of this experience, we can confidently say the review is both unfair and unwarranted.

While our team is certainly no stranger to the sense of urgency that often exists with project bidding, we cannot commit that our training resources and schedule will always match with the exact need or timing of our users. Mr. Williams requested training late in the day on a Friday and was scheduled for the following Monday, but grew frustrated due to the 3-day wait. Unfortunately for STACK and for JT Williams Masonry, we were not given the opportunity to help their team learn to use our software. We make every effort to accommodate the customer and this case was no different. Mr. Williams subscription fees were refunded in full and we wish his company nothing but future growth and success.

• Reviewed on 2016-11-23
John P.
  • Reviewed on 2019-01-25

"Simply Useful"

Comments: I've been with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and his associates for a while and never had a problem with customer service.

Pros: Its simple to use, can be accessed anywhere where you have internet or cloud access. Good customer support.

Cons: The uploading process is a little frustrating. I wish there was an option (or flag) that you can select to just name the sheets at Page numbers. I need to go through and delete all the bookmarks before uploading in order for the page titles to stay consistent with what I'm used to.

• Reviewed on 2019-01-25
Michael W.
  • Reviewed on 2017-05-22

"Overall good, it accomplishes what we need a takeoff software to do"

Comments: Estimating / Paint

Pros: Its cloud based and can be pulled up anywhere from any device.
The auto naming is a good tool to use.

Cons: I'm not aware of a way to locate where a particular takeoff is within a set of plans without opening each plan sheet.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 2017-05-23

Hi Michael,
Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Benjamin Fleig LLC and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

• Reviewed on 2017-05-22
Chris W.
Commercial Estimator
  • Reviewed on 2019-05-01

"Stack Takeoff"

Comments: This is a very useful takeoff software that makes estimation fast and easy. We use it for calculating SF of granite and quartz countertops in different areas on commercial projects and residential builds.

Pros: *Easy to use
*Manual and standard scaling options
*Calendar for easy tracking of upcoming bid due dates
*Ability to have lots of pages open at once

Cons: *Sometimes the pages upload out of order and the auto renaming feature has a hard time fixing them if the page labels aren't in the exact same spot

• Reviewed on 2019-05-01
Daniel S.
  • Reviewed on 2020-02-25

"A great overall value for quick and accurate takeoffs"

Pros: This softwars is extremely customizable. We were able to setup our categories from the beginning to match our job costing categories, which made importing our quantities into our estimates a very straightforward and easy process.

Cons: It's a bit pricey since it's a subscription model, but ultimately they make up for up with constant updates and great technical support. The training guides are also top notch.

• Reviewed on 2020-02-25
Sara F.
estimator
  • Reviewed on 2017-05-24

"So far I have had a great experience using Stack. It is quick, easy and as precise."

Comments: I am able to compete take offs in a timely fashion. It is also easy to edit takeoffs that may be changed in an addendum etc.

Pros: What I like most about this software is the different options for reports that it gives you. I also like how easy and user friendly it is.

Cons: What I like least about this software is that only one user is able to use it instead of having simultaneous users.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 2017-05-25

Hi Sara,
Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Commercial Interiors and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

• Reviewed on 2017-05-24
Mitch C.
  • Reviewed on 2017-01-20

"Stack Takeoff software works"

Comments: We have been using the Stack Takeoff software for three years and love it's ease of use. It is simple to learn and they keep updating the software with new updates.

Pros: It's ease o use. And accurate takeoffs

Cons: I can't think of a con.

Hi Mitch,

Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Lawson Concrete and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

• Reviewed on 2017-01-20
Brett W.
  • Reviewed on 2017-06-27

"Our company has used this program for over a year now and it has simplified the takeoff process!"

Pros: This software is easy to understand, quick and efficient. But most importantly the constant tracking of values that you are taking off is probably my favorite feature and benefits me the most.

Cons: I do not like the fact that on some browsers this software does not work as fast and/or efficient as other browsers do. I'm not sure why that is.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 2017-06-27

Hi Brett,
We are so glad to hear that you are thrilled with the impact our software is having on your business! We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team.

Be sure to contact us if there is anything you need in the future. We are here for you!

Wishing you much continued success!

• Reviewed on 2017-06-27
Matthew S.
Project Management / Estimator / Machine Control
  • Reviewed on 2018-05-24

"Super easy to use and saves your files to the cloud."

Pros: I have used many takeoff programs and this program is the best bang for the buck. I really like that is saves your files to the cloud. You can access the files from anywhere with internet. The program is really easy to use.

Cons: I would like to see hatch patterns added to the area takeoff colors. I feel there needs to be more options. I would also like to have an option to turn on the quantity giver window.

• Reviewed on 2018-05-24
Bob B.
Glass, Ceramics & Concrete, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018-05-29

"This is better than some I have used . a bit more user friendly than what I moved from."

Comments: I would like to see if there is more training that is easy to get to.

Pros: logging on and this is easy to set up a job. I like the reports the scaling works very well. I think there is much more that I could get from this but need more training.

Cons: Building the assemblies for Concrete could be better, the training on line is very general and i have not found all the ways to help make a complete takeoff into an estimate.

Joann S.
Office Administrator
  • Reviewed on 2019-05-03

"Thoughts on STACK"

Comments: Overall, I enjoy working with STACK, we at one point cancelled our subscription due to being locked into using another estimating software XACTIMATE and while we still utilize that program for the required estimates, nothing is faster and more accurate than STACK for the area calcs we do for our insulation estimates. We've even taking the estimates from STACK and then manually measured structures to compare and the numbers are always within a 10% margin. It gives our estimating team a level of confidence about the numbers we quote and in turn allows for a tighter, more exact costing during our proposal process.

Pros: It's a fantastic time-saver when it comes to completing area calcs and the accuracy it on the nose as long as scales have been calibrated for the plans being used. The project tracking and takeoff features are also very handing when it comes to keeping various projects organized. I also find the ability to export data into excel extremely helpful.

Cons: The software occasionally hangs while importing plans.

• Reviewed on 2019-05-03
Evan B.
Principal
  • Reviewed on 2019-11-20

"Good Software"

Comments: Stack has saved me so much time on developing Take-Offs, the software is easy to use and really enjoy it!

Pros: I enjoy how easy the software is to use, very easy to teach someone to use and for many projects it saves me a tremendous amount of work, helping me assist clients.

Cons: I would like to see this software come off of "web based" and offer a computer/mac version available for download. In large places or remote scenarios it is troublesome to always worry about finding a solid internet connection.

• Reviewed on 2019-11-20
Trevor W.
Chief Operations Manager
Construction
  • Reviewed on 2018-02-12

"STACK Pro had brought our company's estimating to a while new level!"

Comments: Accurate painting takeoffs for commercial & residential construction projects.

Pros: The Items & Assemblies feature of STACK Pro allow us to create estimates that are accurate and detail focused.

Cons: Although STACK has already started deploying hot keys in their estimating software, we would really like to see a "DELETE" hot key. We also think having the ability to move drawing tabs around in the plan screen (similar to how one can move Google Chrome tabs in their browser) would help keep drawings in-order if they have been opened out of sequence.

• Reviewed on 2018-02-12
Lance O.
ESTIMATOR

"Landscape Estimating"

Pros: This software makes takeoffs extremely easy to manage and visualize. There are multiple ways in which to organize and assemble projects to help make the bidding process easier

Cons: The main drawback to the software is that it is web-based. If you lose power/internet connection or if you don't have access to internet, you cannot use the software.