15 years helping Canadian businesses

About Teachable

Create online courses and coaching services. Control your branding, student data, messaging and pricing all from one place.

Learn more about Teachable

Pros:

I've mostly used Teachable as the student, not the teacher. It seems to integrate with websites nicely and is easy to enroll in the courses.

Cons:

Payout options may a problem for subscribers from outside the USA.

Teachable ratings

4.3
3.9
4.1
3.8

7.1/10

Teachable has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 167 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Teachable before?

Marilyn "M.E."
Marilyn "M.E."
CEO in US
Religious Institutions, 2–10 Employees

Teachable Moments

Comments: Overall Teachable solved a revenue issue for us! We needed a place for people to go and purchase out products and downloadable services without having to start from scratch - which is quite costly - and Teachable allowed us to do that. It help us generate necessary revenue with ease.

Pros:

Teachable is very user friendly. I am not a very technically inclined person and this program gave me the ease I needed to set our digital classroom. AT the time we began using the company could not afford more than $100 a month and Teachable was very affordable for out small nonprofit.

Cons:

I would say that my least favorite aspect of Teachable is or was the design templates, although they recently upgraded this feature and you can do a few more fancy things to your store and landing page.

Aimee Rebekah
Aimee Rebekah
Director in US
Alternative Medicine, 2–10 Employees

Loved it at first! BUT, so many limits to functionality I switched to new platform within 3 months

Comments: When I first started with teachable I had an amazing experience. I loved the on boarding process that they put you through. Once I started building my courses at first it was positive because it's very simple to start. However, once I got a little deeper into my process I realized that there are many limitations to this platform that required me to do workarounds. For example:1. They have the ability to create a quiz but that quiz can only be multiple choice and the multiple choice can only have one correct answer. Therefore, the assessments are very limited you can't have students reflect with writing in their own words or you can't have any other type of question other than multiple choice. I had already created quizzes in another tool that I was using because I was already teaching courses before I started Teachable so I just linked those quizzes to Teachable.2. Teachable also doesn't integrate with SCORM which is a type of interactive course building file which is really state of the art. I use a tool called Articulate 360 and it allows you to create interactive courses/lessons and most LMS platforms integrate with SCORM and tools like Articulate 360, but Teachable does not.3. You cannot see the results of assessments unless you are on the highest tier, which is $120+4. You cannot have discussions with students unless you are on the highest tier.

Pros:

Teachable really sold me with their marketing about how easy the platform was to use and with their webinars that really walk you through the course creation process. I really appreciated the education that they give you at the beginning of the on boarding process and that was really valuable even if the tools themselves ended up being very limited for my needs.

Cons:

Between the time that I signed up and I decided to leave this platform the price more than doubled for hosting the courses that I was hosting. In addition to this, when you compare Teachable to the other platforms that are available out there; specifically, learnworlds, which is a platform I decided to go with, there's so many limits to their functionality that it's really difficult to run a course that is training students and in a process that needs to be evaluated. I think if I was just teaching for fun this might be a good platform for me but my students are moving through a process that needs to result in demonstrated mastery and the ability for me to present the information to them in an interactive way and the ability for them to complete evaluations and assessments with in the actual platform is really limited.

Axel
Founder in US
Internet, Self Employed

Too Expensive, Not Designed for Marketers

Comments: I wish I had signed up for the free or lower-cost plan first. It's very difficult to switch platforms, so this is a decision that requires a lot of pre-purchase diligence. I now use Systeme.io, which offers way more features at a fraction of the price.

Pros:

The course building platform itself is great. Support is decent for the most part, although they don't really engage well with feature requests.

Cons:

Teachable seems to look at sales as an incidental part of course creation and teaching. Here are a few examples: 1) They don't have a drag-and-drop landing page builder. The templates are really generic and it's hard to get a sleek-looking landing page. 2) No email automation. You can send one-off emails to your students, but that's it. 3) You can't add a lead magnet to collect email addresses. You'll have to pay for Convertkit (which is another $25/month) or another email list provider. 4) There are limited options to customize the checkout. You can't custom code (like Analytics), or so on because the checkout is hosted on sso.teachable.com. And there's no option for a two-step checkout - say goodbye to abandoned cart emails (unless you want to create a complicated integration). 5) Their "one-click-upsell" mechanics are super limited. They previously had this feature, but got rid of it when they upgraded their page builder. They now have an upsell, but the mechanics are clunky. Again - sales and marketing are not at the top of this company's mind. On top of that, the pricing was expensive. $99/month (the lowest-priced annual plan with no transaction fee) is super high pricing for what you get. You're better off with Kartra (which costs the same as Teachable, but does way more) or Systeme.io (which has crazy-affordable pricing and really engages with users to improve the product)

Public Safety, 2–10 Employees

Teachable--- Hosting Your Online Classes

Comments: My overall experience with Teachable has been very positive. Responsive customer support, improved features, and excellent onboarding training. My only frustration is the inability to auto-schedule blog posts.

Pros:

I've been a Teachable user for a few years (I was a user when the name was Fedora). Since then, Teachable has been one of the most mentioned names for online course creators. One of the things I like best about Teachable is how easy it is to use the platform. In a matter of time, you can create an online course, including curriculum and media. This is super convenient for both the novice online course creator and the more experienced ones. It's a time saver!

Cons:

Since 2019, the blog feature of being able to auto-schedule posting has not worked. I've placed support tickets to address the issue, but as of this writing (Feb 2020), the feature still isn't working. I write blog content well in advance and was able to schedule blog posts with ease. Now I have to set a reminder to go into my Teachable account to manually post the blog. This is not ideal.

Ruth
Founder in New Zealand
E-Learning, Self Employed

They care about making a good product - but it'll cost you.

Comments: I have used Teachable for 5+ years, started on a free tier and have gone up the tiers as my business has grown. Though they have a lot of resources for businesses starting out, the resources for growing business is lacking in my opinion. The platform itself works well, I don't come across any broken functionality or bugs - it's more that the price has become prohibitive for me and though their customer service is helpful (offered me a slight discount on the price increase) I'll still be moving to a lifetime deal with another software. To conclude - it's a great platform but be wary as a new business starting out - once you've taken that free trial and start building your business on there, it's easy to become trapped and have to pay whatever they're asking to avoid moving your whole school to another platform.

Pros:

This software is easy to get started - on a Pro account you have everything you need, the free tier these days has very little. It's a great drag and drop course content & sales pages - handles all the sales and taxes if you like. Provide training to help you get started with not just the course creation but the sales side as well - I definitely found this helpful in the beginning.

Cons:

There is very little in terms of tracking student progress - the mail capability is lacking - I use separate softwares for emailing, customer management and even certification (zapier & mailerlite). So those features though provided by Teachable don't have much functionality. I can see individual students log ins and progress on individual courses - but overall unable to see for instance, a list of students that havent' logged in for a certain time period - I have to look at each student individually. So it's very difficult to track the students progress overall in the school. Plus they've just put the prices up and it's very expensive now.

Nick
Nick
Founder in US
Online Media, Self Employed

Simple and Reliable Online Course Hosting Option

Comments: Overall, my experience has been positive. I've created 4 courses on the platform so far.

Pros:

Teachable makes it easy to put your online course(s) up for sale without having to worry about separate video hosting or payment processing. You also don't have to worry about managing customer logins to your own website for security since all that happens on Teachable's system. It's easy to upload content and create your curriculum, and it's nice that you can start with a pre-made template for sales pages and checkout pages, rather than having to create all that from scratch.

Cons:

If you're not making many sales, it can be hard to justify the ongoing monthly expense. The login system is surprisingly frustrating and confusing, especially if students have enrolled in previous courses or if you yourself have enrolled in other Teachable-hosted courses. At one point I had 10+ logins, but I've slowly been able to consolidate those under one master account.

Jessica
Jessica
Educator in US
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

It's a great platform for my course

Comments: I have enjoyed my time with Teachable thus far and I think it's one of the best platforms out there. I'm enjoying the user-friendly process.

Pros:

I was excited to find a product that was stremlined and user friendly. I even like that I can register students without registering for their monthly plan. Of course the fees are a little higher with that version but I like the 'try-before-you-buy aspect'. I like the look of it and that you will be able to creat certificates and allow students to track their progress. One of my favorite features is being able to create discount/ special codes when you want.

Cons:

I don't like that i have to post a youtube URL if my videos are a little larger. This adds a little complication seeing as I'm not a techie, but it's not insurmountable.

Cushi
Cushi
owner in Bermuda
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

A good solution for e-courses, but not the easiest to learn

Comments: It definitely does the trick. I set my online course up and created my sales page reasonably quickly considering I'd never used the software, or any e-course software before.

Pros:

I love the aesthetics and the User Interface. It's all very clean and feels comfortable. I like the simplicity of the sales page builder as well, although I'd like it more if it were more custmizeable with options like more fonts, and different layouts.

Cons:

The flow between webpages is super awkward and it was sometimes hard to find the page I was looking for. Every time I go to do anything, it opens a new tab. The over all user experience just felt unnatural to me.

Filip
Filip
ceo in Italy

A complete LMS platform

Comments: We like teachable for easy and fast delivery courses

Pros:

A complete LMS platform, a lot of features and custom designs you can use, you can actually build the whole website using teachable with the e-learning part integrated into it

Cons:

The price, it's really high, of course, you can use it for free but the commissions are high

Hemal
CEO in Malaysia
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Overall, my experience has been great.

Pros:

Overall, my experience has been great. I started using with Free plan, it's is super easy to use for non techy. This is the best for course creators who have >=5 course. Resources are really helpful.

Cons:

Sometime getting system errors (slow), expensive but anyone can start with Free or Basic plan.

Yevstakhii
Teacher in Ukraine
E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

My expirience of use Teachable

Comments: I have positive experiences with Teachable. I appreciate the ability to easily create and customize courses, add multimedia elements like videos and quizzes, and brand their course websites.I also like Teachable's marketing and sales features, which make it easier to promote and sell courses directly through the platform. The ability to offer discounts and promotions, create custom landing pages, and track conversions and sales data can be particularly useful for course creators who are looking to increase their reach and revenue.However, as I mentioned earlier, some users have also reported issues with Teachable's pricing, payment processing, and design customization options. It's important to carefully evaluate these potential drawbacks and limitations before deciding whether Teachable is the right platform for your specific needs and goals.

Pros:

Teachable has user-friendly interface and intuitive course creation process. This allows me to easily organize and structure my content, add multimedia elements like videos and quizzes, and customize my course's branding and design. This ease-of-use can be particularly beneficial for individuals who may not have technical expertise or experience with online course creation.Another aspect that I appreciate is Teachable's marketing and sales features. With tools like coupon codes, affiliate programs, and upselling options, I can promote and sell my courses directly through the Teachable platform. Additionally, the platform integrates with email marketing services like Mailchimp, making it easier for course creators to communicate with their students and potential customers.

Cons:

Teachable is expensive for me, and it will be especially expensive for users with large student bases or multiple courses. While Teachable offers a free plan with limited features, users need to upgrade to a paid plan to access more advanced features such as graded quizzes, custom domain names, and more detailed analytics.Another issue that I have is that Teachable's built-in website builder can be somewhat limited in terms of design customization. While I can add my branding and customize some elements of my course website, I unable to make more extensive design changes without the assistance of a developer.

Professional Training & Coaching, 2–10 Employees

I absolutely LOVE this course creation and course selling platform!

Comments: I love the professional look of Teachable and I think that makes students feel more comfortable buying online courses from "your average Joe".

Pros:

For starters, it is great that you can creaet a course and put it on Teachable for free to test drive the platform and see if it will be a good fit for you and your students. I like that the platform is easy to use, customizable, NOT CLUNKY, and is professional looking.

Cons:

The pricing might be a bit much if you're just starting out as a course creator and aren't sure if you're course is going to sell out the way you want it to. Other than that, there really isn't anything bad I can say about Teachable. They've done a great job creating a platform that makes it easy for anyone to sell a course they've created.

Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2–10 Employees

Easiest asynchronous teaching platform

Pros:

It's easy to build, customer service/support is excellent, students love it.

Cons:

When students sign up it does not parse out first and last name, making integration with other platforms challenging.

E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Decent and reliable platform but needs feature improvements

Pros:

The user interface is intuitive but not that easy to use, pages take time to load. They keep adding new features regularly, I like the recently added limited period access so I can expire my free courses which is really helpful to make my student take action complete the course on time and upgrade to my higher offers if they desire. I love that Teachble provides unlimited students and courses/coaching plans even on the basic plan. Has teachable university to help with setting up the courses and coaching bundles, which is beneficial for beginners setting up their e-learning platform. If you do not want a lot of designing customization to your landing page using html etc, I have found the page builder via block elements easy to implement.

Cons:

The web app crashes a lot when bulk uploading videos. Cannot upload videos of size greater than 1.5 GB. Have to pay heavy transction fee of 5% to teachable for each sale on the basic plan.

I host video training courses on Teachable and love their platform.

Comments: Teachable allows me to quickly and easily organize my video course content in a logical manner. This makes course deployment simple and my courses still retain a professional look/feel.

Pros:

Teachable is very user friendly and they offer an intuitive user interface. They have features like drag and drop or duplicate that make creating training courses a breeze. I've used other course creation software and I find that Teachable is easier to understand. They also have a lot of documentation and offer support. Also, check out their facebook group...there's lots of valuable info exchanged there about course creation.

Cons:

I'm on the basic plan and I think it's a little pricey, but I get it; they're in business to make money. I wish they had a plan between the free plan and the basic plan with less features than the basic as this would probably be a better fit for me.

E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Quickest way to go online with your courses

Comments: Overall experience with Teachable has been great. The UI and UX is soothing from both the views , as a teacher and as a student. Things are seamless and it takes no time to launch a course if you have your material ready.

Pros:

- Great UI and UX. - Unlike WordPress, you don't have to plug-in several puzzles together to get the system working. Works fine out of the box. - For those looking for more, they have provided ways to integrate with 3rd party applications. - Teachable does all the heavy lifting by itself allowing you to focus on creating your course.

Cons:

Pricing. They may want to look into an alternative pricing structure for teachers interested in few courses with limited no of students. As of now, someone with 100 courses and 10,000 students will pay the same fees as with some one with 5 courses and 500 students.

Brittany
Brittany
Web Coordinator in US
Higher Education Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Web = Great, Mobile = Pain

Comments: Online learning has been cumbersome in the past to say the least. This not only simplifies and streamlines it, but it makes it a bit addicting as well. Overall positive review with recommendations. Just stay away from the app. It's flawed.

Pros:

Interface is easy to navigate, options for action are straightforward, and payment system makes sense. All adds up to a great experience, at least on a web browser.

Cons:

The mobile app is non-functional. Try to do the same things you do on a browser using the same interface and you'll probably uninstall the app like I did. It just doesn't work.

Bryanna
Yoga Teacher in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Past User

Comments: I liked using teachable but i found a different software that i prefer and made the switch

Pros:

I liked that you used to be able to create a course for free and pay after 10 students and i like that your course is searchable on their platform

Cons:

I dont love the pricetag or how it doesnt integrate into a website

, 11–50 Employees

Highly customizable software platform for diverse courses, learning groups, and users.

Pros:

No two courses need look the same in Teachable -- this software provides excellent and robust options for designing course layout, modules, accessibility, focus areas, and more, while remaining quick to learn and use, which is a plus for busy instructors.

Cons:

Not as many students arrive to the class with prior experience using a Teachable-hosted course. The software learning curve is quick and easy, but a bit of learning time is helpful to include.

Nataliia
Ukraine

Easy to use, well organized platform for learning

Pros:

What I like most about Teachable is that this platform is well organized and its structure courses so simple that couldn't be down in any other way better. I like that it counts my learning progress in the upper left corner. And I like that Teacher lessons show what data it contains like video, a document to download, pictures etc. Nice feature when I'm going through the course the lessons that I went through I marked completed and that's why I know exactly where I left my learning process. Also, one of the greatest differences of the platform is that interface which allows you to focus on the main thing - learning the course and there is nothing that will bother you or took your intention away from it. Just press the fullscreen button and start learning. No interfering elements are involved.

Cons:

Cons... I cannot think of any of it right now, because I don't see them. I don't use Teachable platform for distributing my own content just as a learner when I enrolled in somebody else course, but I know for a fact that Teachable despite its simplicity and well-organized structure also provides its own web host, payment processor and if you will put your free course on teachable it will not take any fees from you for peoples enrollments.

Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Hoping there is a better software out there.

Pros:

Good structure to course, nice layout. Good analytics. We have not launched our course yet but have been using it to set up for the past month.

Cons:

Video uploads take forever. Like 10 times what it take to upload to Youtube. One video of 150 MB can take 1.5-2 hours to upload on extremely high speed internet. (17mb per sec download speed). We have talked to support and they say if our videos are over 500MB then it can take a long time. And if your computer falls asleep it will stop...or it can just stop anyways and you have to start to whole process over again. The bulk uploader is a joke. If you want to upload 10 video plan on staying on your computer for 15 hours. The only reason we have stuck with it is that once you invest 100 hours you hate to throw it away. Also, thinkific doesn't have great analytics, so we feel there is no better option at the moment. If only Google would create good platform.

Tim
Tim
Software Engineer in US
Civic & Social Organization, 11–50 Employees

Teachable is a forward-thinking Learning Management System with a great team behind it.

Comments: This software helps me have a modern and useful course for my users. It takes out the management of affiliates, authentication, and other essential components that would be a pain to build.

Pros:

Teachable has so much functionality I expect from my Learning Management System. And the support/team behind it empowers me to provide beautiful courses to my users. Its coupon functionality, homepage design, and course builder are intuitive and powerful. Just recently they have made it possible to give students a certificate for completing the course, which has long been a request of our users.

Cons:

I wish there was more API functionality through Teachable. There are useful webhooks, but manipulating data within the platform is limited.

Oliver
CEO in US

Used to be a lot better

Pros:

Very easy to set up courses, videos load fast and uptime is high

Cons:

All additional features added within the past 2 years have made the software less user friendly on the backend. Difficult dealing with customer support on lower tier plans.

Hanah
Freelance Writer in US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Create Courses Quickly

Comments: Overall, I love creating content with this site. If you have questions, they can help you and help you figure it out. The emails they send with helpful tips and information is great. This site is wonderful for anyone who wants to teach other people information that is valuable.

Pros:

I like this software and how I can create courses and content for other people. The site has loads of information and they will also email you simple articles to help you with creating content. I like the helpful tips and how useful they are. I also like how I can put my information on slides, so I can create my courses. I have loads of ideas, so I want to make courses for people to understand. This site has tools that I can add to my content course slides which allows me to be creative for each one.

Cons:

It can overwhelm someone at first especially if you just started. The site has loads of areas and boxes. I wish they would minimize just some of the work areas for people who just started with the site. The dashboard main area to do my work on just seems a bit overwhelming. It would be nice if the area didn't have so much on it and the person could click to decrease some of the options on the dashboard fast.

Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Great platform, I wish there was a couple of extra features

Pros:

Teachable really can help new teachers who would like to start selling their lessons, as they provide a great free plan. After someone start earning some money can upgrade to the next plans, getting the advantage of great extra features. I hope that they won't change their free plan with adding more limitations, as many other services have done in the past.

Cons:

I don't like the fact that many features are available only via the Zippier integration. That means, you need an extra tool to learn and you need am extra service to pay every month. At least, teachable should be able to let professionals create 2-3 upsell options, and more importantly to give the the ability to create membership plans for their courses, with a trial period that automatically would upgrade to the standard pricing plan. Now someone needs to duplicate the course, create two separate pricing plans, integrate with Zapier and create a route where when someone pass the trial period, zappier will delete him from one source and then enrolling him to the other. Too complicated.