About Shelf

Shelf is an AI first knowledge platform that helps businesses compete with fast answers to customer and employee questions

Learn more about Shelf

Pros:

It integrates well into our existing systems and serves as our main focal point for organization.

Cons:

I can't say anything about negative sides of Shelf, because I have not seen it yet.

Shelf ratings

4.9
5.0
4.7
4.8

9.5/10

Shelf has an overall rating of 4.9 out 5 stars based on 83 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Shelf before?

Jordanne O.
Jordanne O.
Manager of Family and Community Engagement in U.S.
Education Management, 51-200 Employees

Excellent resource for maintaining quality control and communication across our organization

5 4 years ago

Comments: My overall experience with SHELF has been incredibly positive. First and foremost the customer service and personal attention has been wonderful. I never go more than a few hours without answers to my questions and they are always ready to listen and work on any issues I am having no matter how minor. I really feel like they take their clients wants and needs into account as they develop updates and the response that I have gotten from my own organization has been overwhelmingly positive.

Pros:

This software is incredibly user friendly and I have really appreciated the ability to create separate libraries for all of the different stakeholders in my organization. It makes the navigation of the resource super intuitive for my staff and allows everyone to put their hands on what they need exactly when they need it. The ability to store and share a multitude of different file types as resources has also been invaluable.

Cons:

There is not much I don't like about the software but one update that I am eagerly anticipating is the ability to upload and have a master copy of a resource in my organization library and have it replicated in other libraries. This will cut down on the amount of uploads and also allow us to have stronger version control on resources that we use across the organization and across our different regions.

Jared O.
WFO Supervisor in U.S.
Hospitality, 1,001-5,000 Employees

The Best Knowledge Base Software

5 2 years ago

Comments: SHELF has been great! Before SHELF I created a website knowledge base for us to use, noting my website didn't have a good search feature, the ability to create folders, nor the real feel of a knowledge base. Getting SHELF helped us finally step into the real world of knowledge bases, and the work they have put into this web based software is superior. I am enjoying my time with it, and the ease of use of SHELF has made it an outstanding product.

Pros:

One of the features of this product is its online! I love the option of having it web based, and not downloaded onto your PC, giving access where ever I go. The Ease of use is fantastic! It doesn't take much to learn, and has the ability for anyone to be able to pick up and use. If you are familiar with social media (Twitter for example) you will feel right at home with the hashtag feature.

Cons:

The only issue ive had with the software would be, my agents didn't care to much for the intergration with NiCE Incontact. We tried this and the window would be to small or to big, causing the agents frustration when answering calls. It would always pop up, and the agents would of liked the ability to be able to click it when they need it, instead of the popping up with every call.

Don D.
Head of Operations in India
Research, 11-50 Employees

Cloud Based Knowledge Management System

3 3 years ago

Comments: We wanted a product that would help us manage our knowledge better. The product is good , but the overall speed / refresh rate is poor in-spite of us using more than 50 mbps.

Pros:

The search features , quick customer care responses and online tutorials.

Cons:

The speed and the sense that they were learning the functionalities of the product on the job.

Rudy C.
Rudy C.
Knowledge Content Specialist in Spain
Logistics & Supply Chain, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Very good and well-rounded tool

5 11 months ago

Comments: Very good. I'd definitely recommend it

Pros:

I really liked the diversity of knowledge content one can create. Decision trees and wikis were the most important for us, and we found them tremendously useful.

Cons:

The visuals of the frontend seemed a bit rudimentary, and we weren't able to modify or customize them.

Brian S.
Technical Support Manager in U.S.
Industrial Automation, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Shelf Partners with OPEX

5 2 years ago

Comments: Great team to work with and I look forward to the next several years of this partnership.

Pros:

I love the application, but I really love the partnership I have with my Shelf Team. They have been a great resource for us building this tool.

Cons:

Honestly I have not found anything I don't like. It's easy to manage and build.

Anna lena S.
Junior Customer Care Specialist in Germany
Consumer Services, 51-200 Employees

Shelf is a real game changer

5 2 years ago

Pros:

I use Shelf mainly to bundle internal knowledge and make it available to other departments and external providers. I especially appreciate the versatile and yet simple use of Shelf.

Cons:

For me there is no contra in the use of Shelf. Before we used another knowledge management tool which I was not convinced of in many points. Shelf on the other hand has everything I expect.

Jackson D.
Jackson D.
Principal in U.S.
Fund-Raising, 2-10 Employees

Our 'walled garden' called Shelf

5 4 years ago

Comments: We were searching for a archiving solution that would package our company's offline and online resources (designs, documents, ideas, etc.) into a value add, easy to find, easy to use tool for our customers. Shelf provided the exact solution. Similar to how Google provides valuable search options, Shelf give us (the originator) a way to package resources and then offer in a secure walled off 'garden' , so our customers can 'harvest' those resources.

Pros:

Having a "Google like" (search by tags) generated system of classifying and organizing online/offline content onto one cloud platform is transformational. By allowing the end user (in our case, customers) to search via tags, then find>view>download any and all content relating to our relationship with them, the overall 'findability' and value of our resources increases expotentially. The value increases because it's not just sitting in some obscure Dropbox, it's growing and being harvested in "our walled garden" by our customers. For genre specific content, we can upload new content, tag with appropriate genre related tags and automatically 'push out' the material. Soon as the tags are applied, then all members of that genre have access to the material AND are automatically notified. Versus the old method of copy>paste individual files into each customer's Dropbox folder. The thumbnail display, which is truly amazing, provides a visual reference to the items searched for and shortens the final mile of the search to the speed of light. Tagging is an art and Shelf customer onboarding walks you through the learning curve (changing from the file folder based system).

Cons:

Still working on versioning, but the workaround works for us.

Marc K.
Marc K.
CMO / Consultant / Start-up Advisor - Adore Me, The Refinery, General Assembly, others in U.S.

Shelf helps our marketing team be more collaborative and efficient

5 5 years ago

Pros:

- Shelf is great for project research and managing advertising versions and sales collateral for our marketing team - Easy to organize various iterations and revisions with custom and company tags, badges, groups, organization library, folders, etc - A powerful search tool that keeps what the team needs within reach. We can search inside documents & images and filter by version, date, users, content type and even different locations - Shelf has been an Evernote replacement for our team. It's a much easier and intuitive way for marketing and product teams to collaborate on content research.

Cons:

Cons; would like to see an integration for Slack. Our team uses Slack and it would be helpful to be able to pull in our attachments and links into Shelf so we have a more comprehensive experience.

Tony C.
Tony C.
Vice President Of Business Development, U.S. in Poland
Computer Software, 501-1,000 Employees

Unique

5 5 years ago

Pros:

Shelf lets me put everything in one place and synchronize with other apps like Dropbox. It has a slick interface and was easy to learn. It's nice that I have both private areas and areas that I can share with an organization. I like how the tags work.

Cons:

I haven't really found any big downsides with Shelf. My main online storage areas are Dropbox and Google Drive and those are covered. It does take a little playing with Shelf to understand how to maximize its benefits, but there is good customer support available. My questions were answered quickly.

Amanda T.
Business Intelligence Analyst III in U.S.
Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Shelf is a game changer

5 11 months ago

Comments: we are very much enjoying Shelf and are excited to continue to onboard new departments to Shelf!

Pros:

Shelf has allowed Granite teammates to store and share vital information for day to day jobs. It has allowed us to easily share content between teams that had no capability of doing so previously. The search functionality it top-notch and allows people to find what they need as quickly and simply as possible!

Cons:

bulk add tool & the ability to add people directly to user groups when adding to shelf

Loren C.
Marketing Manager in U.S.
Food & Beverages, 5,001-10,000 Employees

Vital Team Resource- Saves an incredible amount of time and helps foster internal/customer insights

5 2 years ago

Comments: I've used Shelf for over 3 years now, and was blown away at the level of personalized assistance for helping me to set up a virtual company "library," as well as provide me with tips, tricks, and ideas for leveraging the software to achieve multiple knowledge sharing goals. I rely it it daily to act as a collection hub of collaborative information for special teams and projects, and as the best way to allow my team to "be on the same page," and have access to all the most recent studies, trends, decks and pertinent industry articles and data sources. No more searching on shared drives, or trying to figure out where someone may have filed something that contains multiple flavor, channel, food types. Just file, tag and go. It's our internal company "Google."

Pros:

I've worked with Shelf for 3 years now, and they are constantly upgrading the software capabilities to increase ease of use, and enhance our ability to use the platform in many innovative ways to both share and find information quickly internally, as well as house best practice materials that we can share directly with customers.

Cons:

The one function I could use most would be a "batch tagging" capability, which they have been working on.

Michelle A.
President, School Social Work Association of America in U.S.
Civic & Social Organization, 2-10 Employees

Use of Shelf for an Association Member Resource Library

5 2 years ago

Comments: We have been extremely satisfied with the product and look forward to a long term working relationship with Shelf. Our challenges have been more keeping up with the number of resources we have loaded into the site and Shelf provided us with a great tool at the start of the project to help organize our site and the process so that it could be more successful.

Pros:

We had a committee of all volunteers reviewing products for use as a member resource library. With only 1 FT employee it was important that volunteers could keep the resource library up to date. We also have limited tech knowledge so it needed to be something that was intuitive. Our committee set up the following criteria and found that Shelf met all of the requirements. o Must be very visual with a polished look o Must have a great user experience (work fast and efficiently, be intuitive) o Must be searchable (tags) o Must allow for users to comment and rate resources o Must be organized in multiple ways o User must be able to bookmark or save a resource so they can easily find it again o Must allow for all users to submit resources for review, allow a team to review and vet items, then allow them to be posted o Must have place to pay for non-members and option for subscription fees o Must be intuitive o Must have an easy link to social media to post that a new resource is available and maybe a summary of the item The most impressive function of the resource library is the search tool which can find keywords not only in the title of a document or site but anywhere within the document. The webclipper available on Chrome has been a great tool to use to quickly capture resources from the Internet.

Cons:

So far there have not been any cons that we have run into. Every time I contact our Shelf representative to ask questions, he has something new to tell me about that will launch soon and address that concern.

Paul B.
International Development Consultant in Serbia
11-50 Employees

This is not a drill: A user case that lead to early adoption

5 6 years ago

Comments: Using Shelf in support of my consultancy/advisory tasks related to the development of an incubator hub in Belgrade, Serbia. Tasks require a lot of information coming in and out and disseminated to a wide variety of management, staff and stakeholders. We have been extremely glad to get our hands on the program. Not only does it support our organizational ethos of trying out new information technologies whenever we can and as they become available, its also been ideally suited and fit for our purpose. Its really smoothed and integrated our workflows and was just what we were looking for.

Pros:

Shelf is really easy to set up and get going very quickly and is incredibly intuitive to use. Its a great tool not only for managing knowledge inputs in a wide variety of formats but also for group and task based working. The web clipper is great for capturing information on the go and actually a lot of fun to use. The file permissions system is super efficient for setting up and breaking down work/interest groups. It ensures everyone gets what they need to know and gets a chance to appropriately share and contribute. Its strongly supportive of the informational needs of the multi layered management structure of the organization as well as for disseminating information and updates to its general membership and stakeholders.

Cons:

Although its already integrated with the three most important cloud storage sites and we hear more are on the way, we've already become firm Shelf fans and will continue to use so we'd like to see some fast-tracking so more become available sooner than later. We also hear email integration is on the way. Right now and until it comes, it would be useful for user email lists to be generated internally.

William B.
Quality Assurance Specialist in U.S.
Financial Services Software, 201-500 Employees

Overview of Experience with Shelf

5 last year

Comments: The benefits are agents/supervisors being able to see processes and guidelines in a timely manner to provide accurate information. In addition, we also provide documents to assist with our QA program (i.e steps to a collections call, welcome call, etc). Provides steps to have a better flow and also show agents how to be more "customer centric" to provide better customer service. Assists our learning and development to create training documents, save "good/bad" calls based on call types/scenarios to reference for future training classes or agents that have opportunities to grow.

Pros:

The ease of loading/updating a document and making it accessible to our agents. Enables agents to reference policies and processes quickly to provide optimal customer service and resolution to customer concerns. Searching for a document is easy. Providing invites to new agents/users is very simple to do. Creating folders to organize information is simple.

Cons:

The issue i have is Shelf may have issues recognizing certain formats such as some PDFs, Excel. Basically, it may not recognize a document that can be updated (i.e. an excel sheet). Doesn't seem to like docs that aren't static.

Stephen M.
Sr Mgr Product Management & Innovation in U.S.
Education Management, 10,000+ Employees

Great product for sharing/storing curated resources in a complex/large organization

5 2 years ago

Comments: Shelf has been an incredible partner throughout the process. They were willing to work with us to meet some of our organization-specific needs, while also helping us strategically migrate our content to their platform. They've been very thoughtful every step of the way - including our needs in their product updates and meeting with us on a regular basis to make sure we were aware/up to date on their progress. One of the main reasons we went with Shelf was how easy it was to work with them - and they have not disappointed since then. If you're looking for a knowledge management platform and want an active relationship with your vendor (where they deliver on what they say they are going to do), then Shelf is the right partner.

Pros:

Features- left-side panel that allows you to see all the libraries/folders across your organization at once; highly intelligent, Google-like search functionality for all types of searches; ability to combine search with a variety of filters; ability to preview a document easily without having to download; simplified permissions structure - allowing you to set permissions for users in groups as well as individually; integration with SSO

Cons:

A few key features they are working on to meet similar functionality of Box/Dropbox/Google Drive: - Ability to download multiple files/folders at once - Ability for preview feature to work for all common file types

David C.
Project Coordinator in U.S.
E-Learning, 201-500 Employees

Intuitive. Ease of Use. Great Customer Service

5 2 years ago

Comments: One thing I appreciate about Shelf overall is customer service. Our account manager is very responsive and attentive to our needs, questions, and any concerns we may have for our company's usage of Shelf. An excellent product is one thing, but customer service to make sure your customer(s) is/are happy is a benchmark of better customer satisfaction. Thanks Shelf for a great product and great customer attention.

Pros:

I have used many software products like Shelf, but one thing that stood out to me right away as a new user was the ease of use. The product is intuitive to use and very user friendly compared to their competitors. It is easy to teach for new team members in our company to utilize and as an admin, it is more helpful to have a click-and-point admin control to make swift changes so our team operates efficiently with the most up-to-date information and information flow.

Cons:

View-Only and Member Users are excellent and very easy to use and teach. Ideally, it would be great to have more Administrative analytical tools to monitor usage and making sure each member is being utilized to the best user role to function within a company's prod use of Shelf.

April M.
Founder, Director, Facilitator in U.S.
Music

User Friendly with Great Features and Functionality!

5 5 years ago

Pros:

The top 3 features of Shelf for CMDW, Inc include Sync, Search and Sharing. Shelf syncs with Google Drive and Dropbox to help users better organize and access files. Once files are synced, users can search for files via keyword(s) - even if you don't remember the title or when it was created. It's quick and easy to drag and drop files or folders to an updated private or shared folder from there (or simply leave in the current folders, as Shelf retains the original filing properties/locations during sync). Shelf is already setup with four permission levels - along with a "groups" feature to making sharing at specific access levels a breeze. I should also point out that Shelf works well with all types of files and media, including documents, audio, video and more - which is especially important for the creatives on our team! There are plenty of organization and collaboration tools out there - I've tried several, but Shelf has hit the UX (user experience) nail on the head. It's visually appealing and less intimidating for my clients and team members who are less tech savvy. The onboarding process for me was actually pretty fun. The demo was informative and tailored to my unique organizational needs. Customer rep really listened to my challenges and showed me how Shelf can solve many of our current problems. I'm really excited to finally have a functional solution for file management. No more lost hours searching and starting over from scratch!

Nathan B.
Senior Consultant in U.S.
Computer & Network Security, 51-200 Employees

Used as replacement of our Confluence wiki

5 5 years ago

Pros:

Personally, i love using Confluence but it was difficult to get our company onboard. We needed a product that was more flexible and easier to organize for our company's internal knowledgebase. After a pretty extensive vetting process we selected Shelf because it allowed our team to continue using Dropbox, Drive and Slack while giving us the ability to manage our most critical docs in a centralized place. The features that make shelf unique are it's dropbox and Drive syncing, advanced search and filtered search capabilities, the ability to add additional meta data like tags and badges and the web clipper which enables our team to also use Shelf to capture youtube videos and web articles for training purposes.

Cons:

No product that tries to address knowledge management issues is going to be perfect.. Even knowledge managers at our firm have trouble keeping track of information across teams and departments so no solution is going to be a one size fits all. I prefer a wiki method of building knowledge bases and Shelf doesn't yet offer this feature but overall we're very happy with Shelf.

Sylvain M.
Team Lead in Canada
Human Resources, 10,000+ Employees

Shelf - It's easy

5 2 years ago

Comments: We use shelf everyday and that speaks for itself! This product, along with it's support staff, has always been a VERY positive experience.

Pros:

Like my title says. It's easy! My reasons: Easy to use; easy to maintain; easy to get support; easy to collaborate; easy to find your information; easy to add remove access; easy to create either a basic post or a complex decision tree; easy to see usage statistic. Easy to collectively work together to have a solid knowledge base. I have not discovered anything in shelf yet that is frustrating. I know shelf is working and it's currently the best tool that we've used so far as a knowledge base because of one aspect, our agent are using it and frustration with knowledge base products is non existent.

Cons:

I have not explored every feature shelf can offer because of our organization needs, but so far I love everything about shelf.

Maddy J.
Senior Analyst, Service Desk in Australia
Higher Education Software, 5,001-10,000 Employees

Shelf - a contact center agent's best mate!

5 last year

Comments: Very easy to use, user-friendly platform. As a call centre agent, I rely on effective search results and shelf delivers this on a daily basis. A very friendly, efficient and supporting customer team!

Pros:

- Integrated into digital call centres. - Easy to use search with powerful search results - Decision trees to manage complex processes

Cons:

Unavailability of a html editor to edit content.

Anthony H.
Service Desk Manager in U.S.
Banking, 201-500 Employees

Shelf - great product for document management and accessibility

5 3 years ago

Comments: I have been impressed with the ease and simplicity of the product. Our team transitioned pretty fast and adopted Shelf as a primary source for documentation. The support / sales team were very helpful and responsive when it came to any questions that I had. We really like the product and foresee it having a long life with us.

Pros:

Easy organization. Being able to link websites / videos / pdfs / documentation easily with a plugin. Ability to tag / find documents easily with search feature Preview ability with website. Feedback ability for each addition. Overall look and clean design

Cons:

No easy way for version control - minus uploading multiple documents and renaming each update

Shelf Response

3 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, including your comments on Version Control. Good news - we've recently released a Versioning feature into the product that allows senior user roles to view changes to a file and roll back to prior iterations, as needed. This eliminates the need to upload multiple versions. Have a look and let us know what you think!

Ian J.
Training Specialist in U.S.
Gambling & Casinos, 51-200 Employees

Shelf is fantastic.

5 last year

Pros:

Shelf is both intuitive and powerful. Adding content is very simple from a user standpoint, and the search and organization tools, such as connected gems, make it very quick and simple for users to find what they need. The recent addition of Content Maintenance, where users can leave feedback on specific gems as they're viewing them, has been an invaluable feature that we've already used heavily to improve our libraries.

Cons:

Shelf is very resource intensive, which makes sense as it's got a lot of content and data it has to read and process, but this also makes loading gems take a few seconds longer than I'd like sometimes.

Anisha B.
Project Coordinator in U.S.
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees

Content Management for Newbies

4 last year

Pros:

For a person who is fairly new to content maintenance platforms, Shelf is very easy to use. Even as an Administrator user, I enjoy the capabilities of being able to track the number of interactions other users have with certain content. The Shelf team also does a great job of constantly making new enhancements to the software so the user experience is always improving.

Cons:

Since many features are interconnected, sometimes electing to only enable certain features can be difficult. Because all Shelf features are not applicable to us, we try to only use what makes sense to use, but when certain features have to be enabled in order to get others to work, this forces us to go through additional steps we may have wanted to avoid.

Caleb B.
International Programs Intern in U.S.
Used the Software for: Not provided

Sifting Through Unstructured Data Just Became Easy

5 6 years ago

Comments: Shelf''s uploading, indexing, and search abilities are the smoothest and most intuitive I have encountered -even among content mining tools. Creating a Gem to contain all of the information I have found on a particular subject or for a specific project enables me to quickly find and access it at any time. No longer must I copy and paste news articles into Word documents and save them. Instead, I simply select Shelf's "Capture Article" function, and it does all the work for me. Then I can tag it with keywords, take notes, and highlight text only to be able to search through my notes on files too. My greatest complaint is the lack of a RStudio package integrating the two. This would allow me to seamlessly create Gems to use in all of my research projects. Even so, Shelf still allows me to use my collection of articles, videos, and other forms of data to far more easily complete my research projects than before i started using it. The International Peace and Security Institute (IPSI) uses Shelf to write literature reviews and for other research purposes. But it proves to be invaluable when crafting our experiential training programs. Instead of attempting to coordinate each member of our team's separate projects and research. Shelf indexes our cloud storage so that we can easily find anything other team members have done. Not only does Shelf sort through each team member's files so we can make better use of our time, but it also enables us to take notes on others' files. With IPSI's recent move to OneDrive, Colin Kennedy and the rest of Shelf's staff have supported us every step of the way to ensure we were as prepared as possible for a swift integration of OneDrive and Shelf. Their excellent customer support, thoughtfulness, and high quality product guarantee IPSI will be using Shelf for all of our file categorization and collaborative needs.

Sarah B.
Training and Development in U.S.
Food & Beverages, 5,001-10,000 Employees

Intuitive and Effective

5 2 years ago

Comments: Overall I have had a great experience with Shelf. The Shelf Team has been so incredibly helpful in the launch and revamps of the platform. They show a true willingness to help and have amazing expertise in knowledge management and provide best practices to ensure success.

Pros:

Shelf has been a huge asset to our overall organization of content and process documents. It has improved consistency and efficiency across all the teams that leverage this tool. Managing and maintaining the content is simple and easy with a wide range of reporting available to the administrators.

Cons:

I feel that there are some minor changes that could be made to the reporting feature. Nothing major just a few additional reports would be helpful.