15 years helping Canadian businesses

Canada Local product

FreshBooks Reviews

4.5 (4,402) Write a Review! Canada Local product

About FreshBooks

An easy invoicing and accounting solution starting at $7.60/mth (first 6 mths). Join 24 million people who've already used FreshBooks.

Learn more about FreshBooks

Pros:

The ease of use and support, combined with the price point make a great deal.

Cons:

Still lack and if we forget to save it will be lost.

FreshBooks ratings

4.5
4.4
4.3
4.3

8.3/10

FreshBooks has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 4,402 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used FreshBooks before?

Filter reviews (4,402)

Josh
Josh
Architecture & Planning, Self Employed

My life was a mess until I started using Freshbooks.

5.0 last month New

Comments: When I think about using Quickbooks or Excel I start to have a panic attack. When I think about using Freshbooks I get a refreshing feeling of a calm, relaxing wind.

Pros:

I record my time and expenses and it automates everything else.

Cons:

I don't have any complaints. It just works and seems simple and easy.

Stephen
CEO in US
Internet, 2–10 Employees

One of the best accounting softwares to have out there on a budget

Comments: My overall experience with fresh books is excellent I've never had any issue with the system it works perfectly fine customer service responds right away if you do have any issues I remember I missed a payment and they gave me a call to remind me and even gave me enough time to pay it without canceling my account or not allow me access.

Pros:

Fresh books is really easy to use I love the integration of being able to have my invoices paid having the instant liks and much much more This is just a great software all around to manage your business.

Cons:

I wish it integrated more with other softwares like high level and other CRM softwares but hopefully they'll add this in the future other than that everything else is great.

Oil & Energy, 5,001–10,000 Employees

I had a line of tasks that was easy to perform.

3.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It was a 50 and 50 where we saved time and money, we could follow up on an effective timeline where in general we could have details of how much we spent in time and also in money in each process, on the other hand we delayed, we It was too disturbing not to be clear about everything since the situation required that we had to go through many accounting options that we did not use.

Pros:

I handled a small part of the billing for the software, and according to this, since it was cheaper to do it that way, at that time I tracked the time of my development tasks since I had compatibility of those projects. This helps keep finances organized and makes it easier to know how much time I was dedicating to each development task. I know it wasn't the best technique to measure exactly what I was doing, but it worked perfectly.

Cons:

As basically the program was oriented more towards accounting activities than towards general activities such as measuring the time of our development tasks, we were too disturbed by so many accounting options that we did not understand, which caused us to waste a lot of time and made the work situation difficult for us. long.

4 weeks ago

Hey there, thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreshBooks. If there's ever any additional feedback, feature suggestions or workflows you'd like to see in FreshBooks, please feel free to connect with our Support Team. Our Support Team can ensure any feedback is shared on your behalf. You can reach our team via this page: https://www.freshbooks.com/contact ^DM

Web Design and Founder in US
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Awesome Small Business Invoicing & Time Tracking Tool

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall, I love using Freshbooks for time tracking and billing clients. It is easy to use and makes my agency look very professional.

Pros:

Freshbooks helps our digital marketing agency keep track of tasks completed for clients and allows us to list those tasks on invoices that can be paid via ACH or Credit Card online by our clients very easily. Freshbooks templates are very professional looking and my clients have a very good experience.

Cons:

I wish payments would process to our bank account faster. Sometimes invoices go to spam when sending emails to customers through Fresbhooks messages.

Solomon
Project manager in US
Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Keep your accounts Fresh with the best Online accounting and invoicing tool.

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

It sends automated payment reminders to our customers for any payments. It offers the best invoicing and billing services. It has a very easy to use interface and very easy to navigate through too. It has a good and very knowledgeable customer service staffs.

Cons:

It has been all good to is working with the software.

Joe
Director of Operations in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Simple online billing system

Pros:

This system has a simple front end UI. Sometimes that's what you need. We dont always need graphs and charts and tables. I can log in, see who owes me and who has paid. I can create invoices and not have to wait for graphics to load to show me someone owes us money. My other favorite feature is being able to convert estimates directly to an invoice and then sending that invoice out. 3 clicks and you go from estimate to getting paid.

Cons:

the on thing i dislike is the option to add an image to an invoice. We have multiple users creating invoices and estimates and the last image uploaded becomes the default image on all the following invoices and estimates unless you manually remove it.

Corey
Designer in US
Design, Self Employed

A great service!

5.0 last month New

Comments: I have had much success with this program for my business needs.

Pros:

I love the customization that FreshBooks provides for invoicing clients.The system is easy to use well.

Cons:

The only thing that I do not like is the limit of clients for the payment plan. it would be preferred for the plan to cover more clients.

Samir
Insurance Claims Specialist in US
Insurance Software, 10,000+ Employees

Great but needs improvement.

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

The invoicing is instant, which is very important, you charge your customers and get paid really fast. They also have an option or feature called tracking to not miss billable time

Cons:

The feature to track billing sometimes lags and is slow and definitely needs improvement.

Charles
Designer in Papua New Guinea
Arts & Crafts, 2–10 Employees

My experience with freshbooks

5.0 last month New

Comments: I praise freshbooks for it's, simplicity, efficiency and the ability to streamline accounting tasks for small businesses and freelancers.

Pros:

I like FreshBooks for its user-friendly interface and intuitive features, making accounting tasks simple and efficient.

Cons:

It handles complex accounting tasks and consider its pricing structure more transparent compared to other options.

Tiara
Founder in US
Media Production, 2–10 Employees

Good, but only for beginners

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Great at first, however my company grew out of the services offered.

Pros:

It’s good for those who have very little experience in accounting and a fairly small business to run. Has all of the basic tools you need to keep all of your business finances organized.

Cons:

Not enough features for invoice heavy based businesses. Storage capacity is minimal for a heavy workflow.

Ryan
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Barely passed high school math - and I'm now the bookkeeper

Comments: I love Freshbooks. We used Quickbooks up until I made the decision in January to say I was done stuggling with their program. We had tried the desk top and online versions and they both are so overwhelming with useless features that just get in the way of the simple bookkeeping and accounting needs that our particular business have. I have been asked by other women in business, if I can help them with accounting as they start their business, and my first suggestion is that they immediately drop QB and move over to Freshbooks. From our reports to filing quarterlies, reconciling and estimating - every thing about Freshbooks is better. I have told my husband I would literally become a volunteer spokesperson for Freshbooks due to how much more enjoyable they have made running the backside of our business. My ONLY regret is not doing this years ago. That's it. This product is life changing!

Pros:

Pretty much everything. The dashboard, estimating, reports, client organization, etc etc. This product is outstanding.

Cons:

The type A personality in me would love to be able to close out the books monthly, but I'll take the trade off if it means my books stay balanced - which they always do in Freshbooks. I also wish the mobile app was more of an interactive user app, vs being more of a quick snapshot of our business.

Fran
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

So much better than Quickbooks

Comments: I started with Freshbooks back in 2011, a colleague recommended I switch to Quickbooks, which I did. It only lasted a year before I went back to Freshbooks. Even though it was a pain to switch, it was worth it because when I have a problem with Freshbooks, I just send an email to [email protected] and they answer me the same day, usually. With Quickbooks, it was too hard to get support. It's not a double entry bookkeeping program, so if you need that, it's not for you. But for basic invoicing (including automatic recurring on any timeframe), time tracking, expense tracking, and reporting, it's perfect.

Pros:

Easy to use, interface. Excellent customer support.

Cons:

There is a chrome extension for tracking time, in addition to within the app. The chrome extension was recently updated and is now not working properly. When you type the project name in it doesn't auto search, you have to scroll them all of them (and I have a lot) to select it now. They will fix it, i'm sure. Sometimes have trouble with expense syncing, and would like more features to make that faster and easier to categorize.

Alicia
Business Owner in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Fine if you are the only one in your business

Comments: It was rated well, so I expected better performance. Reconciling the small transactions I get from health insurance companies is very time consuming and it seems like there should be a better way to add those payments without having to manually enter each one when I have to reconcile.
Invoices default to "accrual" accounting which is a pain if you use cash-based accounting (which I do).
Overall, I have not been able to have accurate business numbers (profit/loss) for months because trying to figure out how to add payroll info has been so challenging.

Pros:

I loved that I could upload clients I frequently invoice when I transitioned. Setting up my bank links was very simple and transactions were downloaded easily. You can set up rules for accounts and they will follow those. Invoices look good and are easy to create.

Cons:

The software does not support accounting if you have employees and are paying any benefits. Trying to separate out the cost of what my employees contribute to health insurance, retirement, etc. vs what I contribute has been a nightmare. My bookkeeper and I both spent a lot of time with Freshbooks support trying to figure out how to do that. Turns out it is with a journal entry which is time consuming and makes no sense.

2 years ago

Hey Alicia, thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreshBooks. I have ensured that your feedback about your accounting experience in FreshBooks has been passed along to our Product Team on your behalf. If there is any other feedback you wish to share, or queries our team can assist with, the contact information for our Support Team can be found here: https://www.freshbooks.com/contact ^DM

Erica
Erica
Content Designer in US
Design, Self Employed

Stellar customer service. Simple interface.

Comments: FreshBooks helps me do the essential tasks of invoices and expenses while also helping me get a big picture view of my business's financial health.

Pros:

I started my freelance business nearly 3 years ago, and after initial struggles with Quickbooks (I even had a 2-hour training session with a Quickbooks instructor who just further confused me), I put off dealing with the financial side of my business for over a year (until my CPA was hounding me for tax stuff). Upon the recommendation of another freelancing friend, I decided to give FreshBooks a try. I finally got FreshBooks up and running, and I was amazed at how much it relieved my stress, rather than adding to it. The basic setup is simple and straight-forward, but as my business has grown, I've been impressed with little tricks built into FreshBooks that helps me save time and get a better overall view of my business. Also, I don't think I've ever experienced such consistently helpful and friendly customer service. Any time I call with a question, the person on the phone is empowered to help me out.

Cons:

There are even more integrations and advancements that I think FreshBooks could offer to be even better. Here are a few examples: + I'd love to be able to do some kind of forecasting of income based either on draft invoices for project currently in the works, or estimates that have been accepted. + I wish I could set up estimates so clients could accept/reject specific line items so that I could send one estimate with different options, rather than multiple different estimates. + I wish I could apply discounts to specific line items in the invoices rather than the subtotal of the entire invoice so I could discount my services without discounting passed-along expenses I incur. I've shared such feedback and other minor requests with the FreshBooks team, and they've sounded receptive, so I hope updates/upgrades like these will one day be available.

Susan
Digital Business and Marketing Consultant in US
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

Really like FreshBooks but there's room for improvement

Comments: Here's the skinny on FreshBooks (the good, the bad, and the ugly): The Good:
You can't beat the visual dashboard for tracking outstanding and past payments for clients. It's a great billing system for small businesses and especially consultants or freelancers. The recurring billing/invoicing system is FAB!
Like many platforms these days, Freshbooks showcases a library of "add-ons" to help enhance your experience. Some of the best ones (in my book, as a tech consultant and marketer) are Hubspot, Shopify, Mailchimp, Bidsketch, BaseCamp, and Podio. There's a decent time tracking feature, along with the ability to track expenses. You can create/assign staff to project billing. Of course, you can issue "estimates" to prospects for future projects. As you send invoices through the Freshbooks system, it will log "sent" emails for you. And the system is designed to handle manual invoices for snail mail as well. Each client/business that you bill receives their own "login" to your dashboard to view their invoice(s). This is a nice touch, as clients may often "misplace" that original email with your invoice in it... It integrates very nicely with Stripe and PayPal (although I hear that may be changing - what? I know) plus Freshbooks has its own payment feature. I never have issues with payments, they always come through the system promptly (for online playing, 24-48 hours, the norm). The Bad:
I'm not a fan of the reporting feature, while it's functional, it doesn't allow enough flexibility that a diverse consultant such as myself would like (need) to have. There are several reporting functions for each core feature (Accounting, Clients, Invoicing, and Time Tracking). But no option for custom reporting, which I often need as my diverse array of clientele has different process, set-ups, etc. At the very least, I would like to be able to customize the built-in reports on some level. I've not found an add-on that would assist me with this pain point.
The Ugly:
Finally, sadly, the worst thing I have to say about FreshBooks is that the Android app is greatly lacking. As the years (and technology) progress, that could eventually become a deal breaker. All the features in the world won't do a consultant much good if all of those same features can't be accessed via mobile device. We're ALL mobile these days, doncha know.
However, if you split your time between desktop/Mac and mobile, then Freshbooks is well worth a look!

Brad
Creative Head in South Africa
Events Services, Self Employed

Accounting for dummies

Comments: Overall I cant fault the product and would definitely recommend it to any business owner. The only thing I wish was possible, is to pay in my local currency for budgeting purposes.

Pros:

I started using Freshbooks when I was given the opportunity to start a company in the wedding industry. At the time I had no idea what I was doing when it came to bookkeeping but FreshBooks made it easy to manage. What I loved about the software was the journey I followed, from Quotation to final invoice. The ability to send the quote/invoice with a simple click streamlined my business process. I eventually had to hand over when I couldn't handle the load, and because of the intuitive software, it was an simple handover. When I needed a report, i didn't have to wait for it to come from my bookkeeper, I just jumped online and got what I needed quickly and easily. Oh the cherry on the cake was the app. I used to showcase at trade-shows so the app allowed me to draw up an invoice and email the client without leaving the booth, or needing my laptop.

Cons:

The price point was a bit of a hard pill to swallow, especially in an economy where the $ is much stronger than my local currency. The fluxuating market made budgeting a nightmare, and when getting a start up off the ground, every cent counts. While I could work around that, the one thing I disliked was the fact that one could go back and edit invoices/quotes post creation. I have since learnt that this is a big no no, but at the time I was non the wiser. I unfortunately lost money due to this, as many cash sales invoices were edited, and the balance pocketed.

Gaurav
Gaurav
Senior Business Analyst in India

FreshBooks is a reliable and fast accounting suite for complex financial management

Comments: A complete makeover FreshBooks developers understand the struggle of small teams to handle complex accounting projects and deliver efficient results. Just as easy as you know it to be Back in the days, a team of developers decided to design an easy, intuitive, and non-accountant friendly finance management app, and promised their users that this approach will never change. Mobile-friendly and accessible FreshBooks is considerably good at following trends, and the best proof of it are the mobile platform add-ons for iOS and Android devices, allowing you to access data and do accounting regardless of your location. Saves billing time like no other app FreshBooks redesigned its time tracking for billing purposes by allowing companies to accept payment online, and to do so via various payment gateways. Excellent invoice to payment features FreshBooks offers top rate invoice to payment features that can be used by all small businesses. For instance, you can track exactly when your customer opened your invoice email. Tracking expenses with handy snaps This feature comes handy if you need to liquidate expenses after a client meeting: you simply click a picture of the receipt and attach the snap to an item in FreshBooks to log the expense. racking working times even better than before The new version of the app allows you to becertain of the accuracy of your charges, and lets you have proof if a client decides to dispute them. You can even use the iOS and Android apps to track your working time in the field. Plus, it is easy to convert your work timesheet into an invoice and send it to clients for payments. A bright future As good as the new FreshBooks version may look now, it has only begun to develop. The company promises many advanced features in the near future, including bank accounts reconciliation, non-invoice income recording, and billing adjusted to enterprise-grade users. The innovative spirit is planned to spread on to reporting as well, and transform the scope of available integrations to help companies get paid for their efforts, time, and expertise. At the same time, FreshBooks Classic (as the old version is currently known) will remain active, but will constantly be absorbed within the new one's comprehensive productive suite.

Pros:

businesses get to manage invoices and recurring subscriptions in less than no time, and collect online payments within the same system. In fact, FreshBooks enables Google Checkout, PayPal, and credit card payments, and integrates with a long list of business systems and applications that can streamline this process. With it, odds are good that you will unite financial control in a single system, and stop paying for the maintenance of complex software infrastructure. A considerable advantage of FreshBooks compared to other accounting apps is the availability of fully-functional mobile apps and add-ons you can get for Android and iOS devices. The apps allow you to bring the power and convenience of the software on location, and do accounting and access records whenever you wish to do so. As you can see, FreshBooks literally takes finances out of the office, but does so in a safe and seamless fashion.

Cons:

Despite a wide range of excellent features users have pointed out a few minor things that can be improved in FreshBooks: its metrics, goal setting, and reporting features can be better. One user also found bugs in FreshBooks email click-throughs and automated expenses which did not function to his liking. Apart from these insignificant glitches, hoever, there is no doubt that FreshBooks is a top notch accounting product that can bring a lot to your accounting deparatament.

Idris
Content writer in Nigeria
Business Supplies & Equipment, 51–200 Employees

My Honest Reviews About Freshbook

Pros:

the most notable or noteworthy aspects of Freshbooks, there are several that are worth mentioning:Invoicing: Freshbooks offers a robust invoicing system that makes it easy to create and send professional-looking invoices to your clients. You can customize your invoices with your branding, accept online payments, and set up automatic payment reminders.Time tracking: Freshbooks includes a built-in time tracking system that allows you to track time spent on projects or tasks. You can also set up project budgets and track your team's hours to ensure you're staying within budget.Expense tracking: Freshbooks makes it easy to track expenses by allowing you to upload receipts, import expenses from your bank or credit card, and categorize expenses by project or client. You can also set up recurring expenses and mark expenses as billable to clients.Reporting: Freshbooks offers a variety of customizable reports that provide insights into your business's financial health. You can track revenue, expenses, and profit margins, as well as monitor cash flow, outstanding balances, and other key financial metrics.Mobile app: Freshbooks offers a mobile app that allows you to manage your business on the go. You can create and send invoices, track time and expenses, and view your financial reports from your smartphone or tablet.Overall, Freshbooks is a comprehensive cloud accounting solution that provides a wide range of features designed to help small business

Cons:

While Freshbooks is a robust cloud accounting solution that offers a wide range of features, there are a few potential drawbacks to consider:Limited inventory management: Freshbooks does not offer a built-in inventory management system, which may be a drawback for businesses that sell physical products.Limited customization: While Freshbooks offers a good amount of customization options for invoices and reports, some users may find that the level of customization is limited compared to other accounting software options.Limited integrations: Freshbooks does offer a number of integrations with third-party apps and services, but the selection is not as extensive as some other accounting software options.Limited international support: Freshbooks is primarily designed for businesses based in the United States, Canada, and the UK, so businesses based in other countries may not find the same level of support and functionality.Pricing: Freshbooks can be relatively expensive compared to other accounting software options, especially for businesses that need to add additional users or access more advanced features.Overall, while Freshbooks is a solid cloud accounting solution, it may not be the best fit for all businesses, especially those with more complex needs or those based outside the US, Canada, or the UK.

Apparel & Fashion, Self Employed

"Freshbooks: The Ultimate Accounting Solution for Small Businesses

Comments: based on the analysis of customer feedback, Freshbooks is generally well-regarded for its user-friendly interface, time-saving features, and excellent customer support. Some users have reported limitations with reporting and integration options, and others have found the price to be higher compared to other accounting software. Overall, Freshbooks appears to be a solid choice for small businesses looking for an easy-to-use accounting solution.

Pros:

User-friendly interface: Freshbooks offers a simple and intuitive interface that makes it easy to navigate and use, even for those with limited accounting experience.Time-saving features: Freshbooks offers several time-saving features such as automatic invoicing, expense tracking, and integration with popular payment gateways that can help streamline your accounting tasks.Customizable invoices: Freshbooks allows users to create fully customizable and professional-looking invoices that can be branded with your company logo and colors.Mobile accessibility: Freshbooks can be accessed from any device with an internet connection, making it easy to manage your finances on the go.Customer support: Freshbooks offers excellent customer support, with a dedicated team available to answer any questions or resolve issues promptly.User-friendly interface: Freshbooks offers a simple and intuitive interface that makes it easy to navigate and use, even for those with limited accounting experience.Time-saving features: Freshbooks offers several time-saving features such as automatic invoicing, expense tracking, and integration with popular payment gateways that can help streamline your accounting tasks.Customizable invoices: Freshbooks allows users to create fully customizable and professional-looking invoices that can be branded with your company logo and colors.Mobile accessibility: Freshbooks can be accessed from any device with an internet connection, making it easy to

Cons:

Limited reporting: Some users have reported that Freshbooks' reporting functionality is limited compared to other accounting software, making it difficult to generate detailed financial reports.Price: Freshbooks can be more expensive compared to other accounting software on the market, particularly for businesses with larger accounting needs.Integration limitations: Some users have reported that Freshbooks' integration options are limited, particularly when it comes to syncing with other accounting software or e-commerce platforms.No inventory management: Freshbooks doesn't offer inventory management features, which may be a disadvantage for businesses that need to track inventory.Lack of customization: Some users have reported that Freshbooks' templates and design options are limited, which may make it difficult to fully customize invoices and other financial documents to match their branding.

Rajitha Priyankara
Engineer in Sri Lanka
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 201–500 Employees

Why Freshbooks for your business

Comments: A cloud-based accounting program called FreshBooks is made to assist small businesses in managing their financial activities. A variety of services are available, including financial reporting, project management, time tracking, cost monitoring, and invoicing.Businesses can simply create and send invoices that look professional, receive online payments, keep track of costs, and produce financial reports using FreshBooks. It also offers tools for managing tasks and projects, enabling teams to work together on projects and keep track of how much time they spend on certain tasks.FreshBooks is a well-liked option among small business owners and freelancers who require a hassle-free method of managing their money because of its user-friendly layout and straightforward setup. It provides customer assistance via phone, email, and live chat and offers a number of pricing plans to fit various corporate demands and budgets.

Pros:

FreshBooks is renowned for its user-friendly layout and straightforward setup. With FreshBooks, even if you have little to no expertise with accounting software, you can get going right away.FreshBooks has a number of time-saving features that can speed up payment and reduce manual data entry, like automatic invoicing and online payment acceptance.FreshBooks offers a variety of financial reports, including profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and tax summaries, that can give you information about the financial status of your company and assist you in making informed choices.FreshBooks comes with project management tools that let you work with your team, monitor the status of your projects, and charge clients for the time you spend working on them.Utilizing the FreshBooks mobile app, you can issue invoices, keep track of costs, and manage your money while on the road.Integration with other products: You can easily automate processes and optimize your workflow with FreshBooks thanks to its integrations with other widely used business platforms like PayPal, Stripe, and G Suite.

Cons:

FreshBooks features a straightforward user interface, which could be problematic for companies with sophisticated accounting requirements. The program includes few choices for customization, which could not be sufficient for companies who need more adaptability.Pricing: For companies with larger teams, FreshBooks pricing can be quite pricey. Project management is one of the more sophisticated capabilities that is only offered with higher-tier plans.Limited inventory management: FreshBooks does not include extensive inventory management options, which could be a drawback for companies that need more thorough inventory tracking.FreshBooks has fewer integrations than other accounting software solutions, while integrating with well-known tools like PayPal and G Suite.Because FreshBooks is a cloud-based software program, accessing it necessitates having an internet connection. Businesses that operate in places with spotty internet connectivity may find this to be a drawback.

Noel
Computer Specialist in Jamaica
Computer & Network Security, Self Employed

A fresh Look at Fresh Books

Comments: Overall, in my estimation, I have had a positive experience with FreshBooks. The software is has a user-friendly interface, which makes it easy for small business owners to manage their accounting tasks without needing extensive accounting knowledge. Users also appreciate the software's invoicing and time tracking features, which help them streamline their billing and accounting processes.

Pros:

FreshBooks is a cloud-based accounting software that provides small business owners with tools to manage invoicing, expenses, time tracking, and other financial tasks. Here are some of the pros of using FreshBooks:1. User-friendly interface: FreshBooks has a user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate, even for users with no accounting background. The software provides a clean and intuitive dashboard that makes it easy to find the features and tools that you need.2. Invoicing features: FreshBooks provides robust invoicing features that allow users to create professional-looking invoices, set up recurring invoices, and automate payment reminders. Users can also accept online payments through the software, which makes it easier for customers to pay their bills.3. Time tracking: FreshBooks provides built-in time tracking features that allow users to track their billable hours and generate accurate invoices. This feature is especially useful for freelancers and service-based businesses.

Cons:

1. Limited features: Some users have reported that FreshBooks lacks some of the advanced accounting features found in more comprehensive accounting software, such as inventory management or robust financial reporting.2. Limited integrations: While FreshBooks integrates with many popular third-party apps and services, some users have reported that the software has limited integration options, particularly when compared to more robust accounting software.3. Limited customization options: Some users have reported that FreshBooks has limited customization options, particularly when it comes to creating custom reports or modifying invoice templates.4. Pricing: Some users have reported that FreshBooks can be relatively expensive compared to other accounting software options, particularly for businesses that require multiple user accounts.

last year

Hey Noel, thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreshBooks. To ensure the utmost clarity in the feedback provided to our team on your behalf (regarding integrations, customization, and pricing) please reach out to us via https://www.freshbooks.com/contact. Our Support Team can ensure any and all feedback is passed along to our Product Team on your behalf! ^DM

Randall
Randall
IT Support Specialist in US
Higher Education Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

FreshBooks provides small businesses with some of the best invoicing and billing features available.

Comments: Billing and invoicing were made much easier using this software.

Pros:

FreshBooks gives small businesses a well-designed and intuitive user interface that can easily be used for a variety of different functions, most notably billing, and invoicing. Users are given a wide array of attractive template designs to choose from when creating invoices, allowing for catchy, yet professional looking documents. FreshBooks also provides users with tools for team collaboration, estimates, and projects, all of which can be easily navigated and set up to increase your small businesses' ability to maximize communication, send automatic reminders, submit proposals, and secure jobs with relative ease. As an accounting package, FreshBooks also provides users with the ability to perform some fundamental bookkeeping and accounting functions, has some bank reconciliation functions, enables you to accept online credit card payments, and provides many of these features via their full-featured mobile application. Last but not least, FreshBooks provides excellent customer service from the start. A detailed and easily followed tutorial will help new users get started, while their well-trained staff is always ready to provide users with answers to any questions or issues they may encounter. FreshBooks is very proud of their customer service and their customer satisfaction rating, and it really shows when you speak with one of their representatives.

Cons:

One limitation in FreshBooks as an accounting package is the fact that they utilize single-entry accounting. While this may not be an obvious flaw to a new small business owner, it will become apparent as more accounts are created, employees are hired, and payment options are implemented. Single-entry accounting is quick and simple, but it certainly leaves something to be desired. Over the years some application updates have diminished or completely removed some useful features, like service and customer records, and inventory tracking, all of which were very convenient and helpful features.

Entertainment, 11–50 Employees

Awesome invoice and billing system

Comments: By far the easiest to use
invoicing/billing software ever if you ask me. We're saving time and money because we use Freshbooks. This is one app that I actually recommend to people I know.

Pros:

Freshbooks is extremely user friendly. It's also a high quality product with a lot of good features and personalized settings. Awesome project and time tracking. I like to use the mobile app because we're traveling a lot and still need to use the service. It's easy to open and start working on whenever and wherever I want. I've never lost my work either. It feels like the app actually knows what I need and makes suggestions to help. I love that.

Cons:

We only need the inventory feature for a small portion of our sales so I haven't used it a lot, but I don't think it's as good as others I've used. Specifically inventory tracking.

General Manager in Canada
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Hate the new format

Comments: Before the drastic change to the new format, it was excellent. Made my job so much easier, and me so much more effective. It was really a great product. Now, since the new format has been forced on me, it has been nothing but frustrating to use. They didn't just change it a little, they completely revamped everything and made it far inferior to what it once was. For me anyways, it is no longer "user friendly". It is no longer an effective tool. The only reason we haven't switched to someone else is because of the 10 years of history we have saved in the program. We would lose all of that if we switched, so unfortunately we are stuck with having to use this horrible new format.

Pros:

The fact that it keeps the history of past business transactions.

Cons:

I was a huge fan of the Classic Freshbooks, and used to recommend it to anyone who would listen. Unfortunately, they recently "forced" a new format on all existing customers. The new format is far inferior to the Classic Freshbooks that was in place before. Now, unless I create a separate account for each individual person I deal with, (instead of just a company account with my contacts noted within), all of my estimates and invoices are addressed to the wrong person, (the new format has only one contact person per company that shows up on an estimate/invoice). Their recommendation to this was to set up a separate account for each individual person I deal with, which literally means I need to set up thousands of more accounts, many of which are for the same company, just for a different person within that company. Completely illogical. The Classic Freshbooks had an awesome search engine allowing me to search for various fields at once, (company name, site address, job particulars, etc.). Now, instead of many search different fields, there is only one, and that one is largely ineffective giving me results in a completely random order, not chronological at all as it was with the Classic format. Cannot express enough how disappointed I am with the new format.

4 years ago

Hey Steve, thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreshBooks. Change can be difficult, and I want to thank you for your honesty regarding the new FreshBooks and how you use it for your business. I have ensured that this feedback has been flagged for our Product Team on your behalf (regarding client contacts on invoices and search). While I cannot guarantee any kind of timeline for new features to be added to FreshBooks, feedback from customers like yourself is important for our team. If you have any other questions or feedback regarding FreshBooks, our Support Team is more than happy to help. We can be reached at 1-866-303-6061 Monday through Friday, 8am-8pm EST or [email protected]. ^DM

, 51–200 Employees
Used the Software for: Not provided

Not for everyone, or even most...

Comments: I've been using Freshbooks for the last couple of years, and at first it was a breath of fresh air after getting away from Quickbooks (both online and desktop version prior to that). If you don't have a proficiency for accounting, systems like Freshbooks are great, so I enjoyed the simplicity of it. The problem is - it's just way too simple and there are some major gaps in functionality. Additionally, it's a stagnant system. Very little improvements or features were tweaked or added in the system during the entire time I used it which is pretty unusual for a web based service. Freshbooks shouldn't even call themselves accounting, because their forte really is in time tracking and invoicing. I now use Freeagent and wish I'd switched sooner. If you don't care about tracking profit margins on projects or really tracking expenses accurately at all, then Freshbooks might work for you.

Pros:

Freshbooks gets plenty right. Tracking billable time against customers or customer projects is a breeze, and their invoicing and methods for collecting payments is really hard to beat. Plus, they integrate with so many other services, it makes it really easy to get addicted to. The things I love most - and the main reasons I'm glad that I left Quickbooks for Freshbooks is: Automated invoice reminders, which are totally flexible. This alone saved me a lot of time chasing down late payers. Your customers get a really nice interface for viewing all their invoices online - although I will say I think I only have one or two clients who ever even used the client portal for doing that. Most of them just go to their email to retrieve the links for invoices or statements, but it is still a really nice feature.

Cons:

No connections to your banking / credit card accounts. You can do this with expenses to some extent, but it's just awful to work with, when compared to Quickbooks, Xero, FreeAgent - pretty much anyone else. In order to use Freshbooks, you have to have some other software or service for managing the accounting aspects of your business. This ended up being a bad thing for me. I like having it all connected, and there are plenty of great alternatives for that, and some even charge less than Freshbooks. My reasons for leaving Freshbooks? Freshbooks is downright awful at expenses... You can't record non-billable expenses against a customer or project. If you want to record the expense without billing the customer for it, you cannot assign it to the customer or project. No easy way around that without messing up your accounting records. And with expenses that you DO want to rebill the customer for, there's no easy, intuitive way to handle marking up those expenses for goods or services to make a profit on. In order to do that, you must first add the expenses to the customer invoice, and then modify each line item expense amount up to the amount you want the customer to pay. You cannot record bills as you receive them your vendors. Say for example, you get an invoice from a programmer who did work for you on 4 different projects in a given time period. Most vendors will just send you an itemized invoice with all the billable time across the various projects. Well, you can't record it that way in Freshbooks. Each line item on your bill must be entered into freshbooks one line item at a time, and you cannot correlate them easily to know that they are all part of one bill/invoice. Freshbooks also can't help you with managing when your bills are due. That's accounting, which Freshbooks doesn't do. Freshbooks solutions to their shortcomings with expenses is all handled with hacks and workarounds for how their system is currently built. They are not easy or intuitive and they also throw things off with your accounting reports.